Bridges are among the most favored of all human structures. They serve us well, make a bold visual statement, and open the door to a storehouse of memories and relationships. Who doesn’t admire the elegantly clean lines of suspension bridges? Who can look at a covered bridge without thinking of a halcyon time when life was simpler and slower and friendlier? This week's quiz will find out how much you know about the bridges and bridge-related things in our national parks. Answers are at the end. No peeking.
1. One could argue that Fishing Bridge is misnamed, since this span at _____ National Park has been closed to fishing since 1974 in order to protect cutthroat trout.
2. The only way hikers and mule packs in Grand Canyon National Park can cross the Colorado River is on two suspension bridges near
a. Mather Point
b. Lees Ferry
d. Phantom Ranch
3. One end of the ____ was specially designed to protect a brick masonry fort, now a National Historic Site, during its construction.
a. Ambassador Bridge
b. Tacoma Narrows Bridge
c. Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel
d. Golden Gate Bridge
4. The Oregon Inlet Bridge connects two islands at
a. Cape Cod National Seashore
b. Gulf islands National Seashore
c. Cape Hatteras National Seashore
d. Point Reyes National Seashore
5. Historic Fort Wadsworth, a component of the Gateway National Recreation Area, is situated at the foot of the
a. Verrazano Narrows Bridge
b. Triborough Bridge
c. George Washington Bridge
d. Brooklyn Bridge
6. For a memorable “been there, done that, got the T-shirt” experience, join tens of thousands of other people attending the Bridge Day festival held in October at
a. Rainbow Bridge National Monument
b. New River Gorge National River
c. Glen Canyon National Recreation Area
d. Cuyahoga Valley National Park
7. The last segment of the Blue Ridge Parkway was completed in 1987 when the S-shaped Linn Cove Viaduct was opened to traffic on the southeastern flank of
a. Cold Mountain
b. Grandfather Mountain
c. Roan Mountain
d. Mount Mitchell
8. The covered bridge on the Peirce Stocking Scenic Drive in ____ is actually a replica, not an historic structure.
a. Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore
b. Apostle Islands National Lakeshore
c. Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore
d. Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore
9. Which national park near the Bridge of the Americas in El Paso, Texas, commemorates the signing of a treaty that peacefully resolved a nearly century-old border dispute with Mexico?
a. El Malpais National Monument
b. Amistad National Recreation Area
c. Chamizal National Memorial
d. Cabrillo National Monument
10. Which city is closest to Bering Land Bridge National Preserve?
Answers: (1) b (2) d (3) d (4) c (5) a (6) b (7) b (8) a (9) c (10) d
Grading: 9 or 10 correct, rest on your laurels; 7 or 8 correct, pretty darn good; 6 correct, passably fair; 5 or fewer correct, nothing to brag about.