With Arizona undergoing one of its worst fire seasons ever, officials at Saguaro National Park have instituted a closure of parts of the Rincon Mountain District as a precaution.
The fire closures take effect at noon today, June 9, and affect:
* All trails, washes, and land except as specified below, within the Rincon Mountain (East) District of Saguaro National Park.
* Mica View Picnic Area Road and Mica View Picnic Area
Areas to remain OPEN include:
* The 8-mile paved Cactus Forest Loop Drive, including the Javelina Picnic Area (daylight
* Rincon Mountain District Visitor Center
* The entire Tucson Mountain (West) District remains open, including the Red Hills Visitor
Center, roads and trails
These closures will be lifted when significant moisture is received to reduce the extraordinary wildfire threat to more normal levels, park officials say. Violation of these restrictions is punishable by a fine of not more than $5,000, or imprisonment for no more than six months, or both.
For local fire restrictions and closure information for federal, tribal and state lands in Arizona and New Mexico, as well as additional information on southeast Arizona public lands, visit http://gacc.nifc.gov/swcc/.