Got a hankering for the chicken pot pie they serve at the Spottswood Dining Room at Big Meadows Lodge in Shenandoah National Park, but can't get there this year? Here's the recipe from Chef Patrick Miller so you can make it at home.
1 pound of flour
half-pound of butter, diced into quarter-inch by quarter-inch bits
4 ounces of ice cold water
Pinch of salt
4 ounces of milk
Pinch of salt
Combine all the ingredients and whisk together
- Place flour and butter in mixing bowl. Using dough hook attachment start to incorporate butter into the flour on low speed. Slowly add cold water a little at a time until dough starts to bind and form a solid mass.
- Turn dough out on to a flour surface and knead briefly. Form dough into a ball, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for two hours.
- Remove dough from plastic, place on a floured surface. Using floured rolling pin roll dough out to a thickness of approximately ¼” thick.
- Cut dough into the desired shape. Egg wash outer edge and place over casserole.
- Make three small incisions in top surface of pie dough to allow steam to escape, lightly brush pie dough surface with egg wash.
- Place pie dough topped casserole on sheet tray in 350 degree oven and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until dough is golden brown and flakey.
Chicken Potpie Filling
1 -- 3.5 pound chicken, washed
2-3 Bay leaves
2 teaspoons dry thyme
1 quart chicken stock
2 cups biased cut carrots
2 cups biased cut celery
2 cups pearl onions
1 cup peas
2 cups small diced potatoes, par cooked until tender, then cooled
4 ounces butter
4 ounces flour
Salt and pepper to taste
- Place chicken in stockpot, add stock, bay leaves, thyme and peppercorns.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes or until leg bone is easily pulled off.
- Remove chicken from pot and cool in refrigerator. Strain broth, discard solids.
- Pick cooked chicken meat from carcass, dice into 1” cubes.
- Heat large stockpot on moderate heat, add butter and melt. To melted butter add pearl onions, carrots and celery. Sauté until tender. Add flour and stir to incorporate. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add reserved broth a little at a time using a wire whisk to form a thick sauce. Add blanched potatoes, peas and diced chicken. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for approximately 30 minutes. Adjust seasoning to taste with salt and pepper.
- Ladle pot pie into individual casseroles. Cover casseroles with pie dough rounds that have been brushed with egg wash. Make three incisions (air vents) and place on sheet tray and bake at 350 degrees until dough is flakey and golden brown.
Suggested wine pairing: Horton 2006 Viognier