Denali National Park and Preserve seems to be quite popular this August with congressional staffers, though a number of other parks also are destinations for politicians and their staff during the August recess.
According to the National Park Service's legislative affairs staff, the following park visits have been scheduled for this month:
* August 8-10 – Tim Aiken, staff of Rep. Jim Moran (D-VA-8), will visit Grand Teton and Yellowstone national parks with his family.
* August 8 – Sen. Lisa Murkowski (R-AK) will visit Katmai National Park and Brooks Camp with Kaleb Froelich of her staff.
* August 9-13 – Rick Healy, staff of the House Appropriations Subcommittee on Interior, Environment, and Related Agencies, will visit Glacier National Park with his family.
* August 13-17 – David Watkins, Minority Chief Counsel, House Natural Resources Committee, will visit Acadia National Park with his family.
* August 16-17 – Several Senate chiefs of staff, listed below, will visit Denali:
Kerry Ates, staff of Sen. John D. “Jay” Rockefeller IV (D-WV)
TA Hawks, staff of Sen. Thad Cochran (R-TN)
Dean Hingson, staff of Sen. Dan Coats (R-IN)
Phil Karsting, staff of Sen. Herb Kohl (D-WI)
Maura Keefe, staff of Sen. Jeanne Shaheen (D-NH)
David Ramseur, staff of Sen. Mark Begich (D-AK)
Laurie Rubiner, staff of Sen. Richard Blumenthal (D-CT)
* August 19 – 22 – Michael Kirlin, legislative assistant to Rep. Ander Crenshaw (R-FL-4), will visit Grand Teton and Yellowstone national parks.
* August 21 – Donner Baker McClure and Eric King, staff of Sen. Mitch McConnell (R-KY), and Chris Girdler, staff Rep. Hal Rogers, will visit Cumberland Gap National Historical Park and be briefed by Superintendent Mark H. Woods on park operations, land acquisition, and the Cumberland Gap Tunnel. The staff will also visit Mill Springs Battlefield.