Dine and Donate: First Ever "Plates for the Parkway" Program Offers Fuel For You And The Blue Ridge Parkway Foundation
Raise a toast to the Blue Ridge Parkway—and do it while enjoying a great meal at one of dozens of restaurants sponsoring the Blue Ridge Parkway Foundation's “Plates for the Parkway” benefit on September 18th, 2012.
The first annual event will include restaurants that agree to donate a minimum of 10% of a meal or the day’s sales to benefit the Blue Ridge Parkway Foundation’s efforts to protect the Parkway.
Participating eateries are located in communities along the Parkway—and there’s room for more. Restaurants throughout the route’s 469 miles are invited to participate.
Current participants stretch from the top of the Parkway in Waynesboro, VA to Sylva, NC.
Plates for the Parkway links dozens of unique restaurants in one event to benefit the Parkway—offering a way for great dining to help make a difference for the most visited unit of the National Park Service.
The resort towns along this scenic drive through the Southern Appalachians are increasingly known for great food. Many restaurants serve locally sourced produce, meats, and more, and distinctive dining spots surface in mountain hotels, country inns, and in the vibrant, historic downtowns of small and larger urban areas.
Christy Bell, Development Director for the Foundation, says, “There are so many wonderful restaurants in the communities along the Parkway. For visitors, this event highlights some of these unique places and gives them the opportunity to benefit what brings many of them here in the first place: the Parkway. For those of us lucky enough to live near the Parkway, it’s a fun way to support this amazing place while dining out at a favorite restaurant.”
To date, participating restaurants include:
· Stella, Bella and Lucy's -
· Pomegranate Restaurant & Gathering Place - Troutville, VA
· Peaks of Otter, Bedford, VA
· Martins Downtown - Roanoke, VA
· Freeborne's -Laurel Springs, NC
· Mellow Mushroom – Boone, NC
· Mellow Mushroom - Blowing Rock, NC
· Mountain Aire Seafood & Steaks -West Jefferson, NC
· The Blowing Rock Grill - Blowing Rock, NC
· Woodlands Barbecue - Blowing Rock, NC
· Pepper’s Restaurant - Boone, NC
· Morning Glory Cafe, Black Mountain, NC
· Baja Cafe - Asheville, NC
· Cafe Azalea - Asheville, NC
· Chai Pani - Asheville, NC
· Chef Mo's Restaurant and Bar - Asheville, NC
· Early Girl Eatery – Asheville, NC
· The Local Joint – Fairview, NC
· The Morning Glory Café – Black Mountain, NC
· Plant - Asheville, NC
· Pomodoro’s Cafe East- Asheville, NC
· Salsa's - Asheville, NC
· Filo Pastries - Asheville, NC
· Tomato Jam Café – Asheville, NC
Beyond the Parkway
· Tarheel Foodie -Raleigh, NC (entire month of September)
· Bubba's BBQ & Deli - Virginia Beach, VA
Plates for the Parkway is sponsored by Sir Speedy, Charter Media, and Cox Communications.
Restaurants interested in participating are encouraged to do so through September 14th by contacting Christy Bell for more information. Check here for a complete list of participating restaurants.
The Blue Ridge Parkway Foundation is the primary fundraiser and trusted steward of the Blue Ridge Parkway. The Foundation is forever committed to preserving the past, enhancing the present, and safeguarding the future of America’s Favorite Journey®. Learn more about the Parkway Foundation's successful stewardship effort for the Blue Ridge Parkway.