Native American artists, specialists in beadwork, flint knapping, music and other traditional and contemporary art forms, will be appearing at Grand Teton National Park through this summer.
Each year, the park sponsors a unique program that brings American Indian artists to the Colter Bay Visitor Center. For the past 38 years, artisans from diverse tribes have demonstrated their traditional and contemporary art forms, providing visitors a chance to gain a greater appreciation and understanding of Indian cultures that are alive and active across North America.
Participating artists share the cultural traditions of their tribes through demonstrated art forms such as painting, weaving, pottery, beadwork, and musical instruments. Guest artists exhibit daily from Monday through Sunday, 9 a.m. to 7 p.m., adjacent to the Grand Teton Association bookstore at the visitor center. Artists also offer their finished items for purchase.
The schedule for the 2013 season includes:
* May 11-26, Willie & Debbie LaMere, Shoshone, Beadwork & Flint Knapping
* May 27-June 2, Juan & Josie Broncho, Shoshone/Paiute, Beadwork
* June 3-9, Amanda Coby, Shoshone, Beadwork & Weaving
* June 10-16, Guillermo Martinez, Tarascan-Apache, Handmade Flutes & Drums
* June 17-23, Kelly Looking Horse, Lakota Sioux, Drums, Antler & Hide Items
* June 24-30, Gale Self, Choctaw, Silver & Turquoise Jewelry
* July 1-7, Ted Moran, S’Klallam, Northwest Coastal Carving
* July 8-14, Andrea Two Bulls, Oglala Sioux, Beadwork & Painting
* July 15-21, Black Pinto Horse, Arikara/Hidatsa, Ledger Art
* July 22-28, Lovey Two Bulls, Oglala Sioux, Beadwork, Jewelry, Art Work
* July 29-Aug. 4, Willie & Debbie LaMere, Shoshone, Beadwork & Flint Knapping
* August 5-11, Paul Hacker, Choctaw, Ledger Art, Knives & Flutes
* August 12-18, Jola LaBeau, Eastern Shoshone, Beadwork & Other Crafts
* August 19-25, DG House, Cherokee, Painting & Printmaking
* August 26-Sept. 1, Juan & Josie Broncho, Shoshone/Paiute, Beadwork
* September 2-8, Clyde Hall & Nancy Naki, Shoshone, Beadwork, Silver & Pottery
* September 9-15, DG House, Cherokee, Painting & Printmaking
* September 16-22, Maynard White Owl, Nez Perce/Cayuse, Beadwork
* September 23-29, Willie & Debbie LaMere, Shoshone, Beadwork & Flint Knapping