The unseasonably dry winter in the High Sierra means some tough times in campgrounds this summer at Sequoia and Kings Canyon national parks in California.
* Due to limited snowfall this past winter, Dorst Creek Campground in the Giant Forest area of Sequoia National Park is expected to run out of water this camping season. Therefore, no new reservations are being taken for this campground for the 2013 camping season. If the campground is closed, existing reservations will be honored at a different campground in Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park at no additional cost.
Several campgrounds are temporarily closed:
* Crystal Springs Campground in the Grant Grove area of Kings Canyon National Park will reopen on July 1;
* Sentinel Campground in the Cedar Grove area of Kings Canyon National Park will open on July 1;
At the South Fork Campground in Sequoia:
* No drinking water available year-round; bring your own.
* Non-potable (non-drinking) water available from May 22 until October 12;
* No water available (dry camping only) after October 12 until May 2014.
Bottom line: It's suggested you visit the parks' website or call 559-565-3341 BEFORE you plan to visit the parks to check on the status of facilities and services.