With the 150th anniversary of the Yosemite Grant that set aside the Yosemite Valley for preservation within reach, Yosemite National Park officials are working with gateway communities to celebrate the anniversary and the season.
“Visitors are thrilled to be back in Yosemite and enjoying the park,” said Yosemite Superintendent Don Neubacher, referring to the recent closure of the National Park System due to the government shutdown. “The entire Yosemite region is dappled in spectacular autumn color and our gateway communities welcome visitors back with a series of fantastic 150th anniversary celebrations.”
Events within gateway communities and the park commemorating the 150th Anniversary of the Yosemite Grant are ongoing throughout 2013 and all of 2014. This year’s upcoming events include:
* Oct 25-27: Yosemite Climbing Festival, Oakdale Community Center, Oakdale
* Oct 26: Yosemite and UC Berkeley: Partners in Research, Berkeley
* Oct 26: YosemiteFest, South Gate Brewing Company, Oakhurst
* Nov 1-3: ITSA Film Festival features Yosemite, Sonora Historic Opera Hall, Sonora
* Nov 2: Dinner theater 1850s Yosemite and Wine, Hotel Charlotte, Groveland
* Nov 7: Yosemite Grant 150th Gala with the Yosemite Conservancy, San Francisco City Hall, San Francisco
* Nov 15-16: Gateway Expressions Exhibit, The Ansel Adams Gallery, Yosemite Valley
For a complete list of the events, visit this site.
Back in the park, all operations are up and running, including the campgrounds and visitor centers. Ranger-led walk and talks are being held. All major roads within Yosemite are open, including the Tioga Road, Glacier Point Road, and the road to the Mariposa Grove of Giant Sequoias.
DNC Parks & Resorts at Yosemite, Inc., the parks primary concessioner, has reopened accommodations and is providing food service and retail outlets for park visitors. Yosemite Lodge at the Falls, Curry Village, Housekeeping Camp, and the Ahwahnee are open.
The Ansel Adams Gallery, the oldest continuously operating concessioner in the National Park System, is open as well.