You are here

All Recent Comments

Fossilized Tracks Stolen From Death Valley National Park

Mar 30th - 09:43am | Anonymous

Ha. Troll. Because the best approach to someone doing something dumb is obviously to take the most extreme measure possible instead of educating them.

Mar 30th - 07:11am | Jimbo peep

Really??  You think they should be executed for this?  Man, you need to get some perspective.  A hefty fine, yes.  Death penalty, no.

Mar 30th - 01:39am | Frank B

Murder is not the correct response.

Mar 29th - 23:44pm | Jimbo

seen bigger reward for people who steal bubblegum from the local conv store s

Mar 29th - 22:17pm | Eileen Duncan

An exact/approximate date of the theft, approx location, and time/date of the photos of the backpackers with whom authorities would like to speak would certainly be helpful, no?

Mar 29th - 22:14pm | Eileen S. Duncan

A go-fund-me or similar effort should be initiated to solicit additional funds (donations) towards a higher reward. I would donate.

Mar 29th - 19:37pm | Rick B.

I don't really mind much if the malfeasants stumble a couple of times enroute to the squad car, but the more we vent about vigilante justice, in particular involving firearms, the more likely some fool will actually shoot, and all too likely not at the right person.

Mar 29th - 18:46pm | Lee Crouch

I know the Park Service works on a threadbare budget, but I wish they were able to erect Cams near these important sites.Yes, up the fines and use the proceeds to reinforce enforcement.

Mar 29th - 16:48pm | KB Min

I'm with Wanda Montana and the rest ... up the fines for this and other acts of vandalism and theft in the Parks  ... Time to put some real teeth in the enforcement of protecting our Nation's Heritage

Mar 29th - 16:41pm | Mike the Geologist

As a geologist, I understand what these low-life criminals have destroyed and stolen. Quite frankly the reward is ridiculously low - it should be $10,000.  Its a pity that someone with a CCW didnt pop these guys. Had I seen them commit this crime, I would have emptied ever round I had on them.  What they have stolen is a national treasure.

Mar 29th - 15:38pm | Steve Pearce

I despair of people who do this sort of thing. What are they going to do hang them on the wall? Really hope they are caught and the fossils somehow returned.

Mar 29th - 14:42pm | Greg

I certainly hope they catch em

Mar 29th - 13:30pm | WannaMontana

I'll contribute extra funds to up this bounty for this!  Respect our amazing lands!

Mar 29th - 06:34am | Rebecca Latson ...

The stupidity, ignorance and rapacity of people never fails to amaze me.

Sens. Warner, Portman Introduce Legislation To Wipe Out National Park Service Maintenance Backlog

Mar 29th - 22:30pm | Lee Dalton

Pure political posturing. Congress at work, business as usual.

Mar 29th - 19:26pm | Rick B.

Is this one of those "we put it on a timeline... you can't complain if it is on a schedule" things when the timeline or schedule is out to after our grandchildren have gray hair?

Mar 29th - 13:26pm | Mike Painter

Can we afford to wait until 2047 to wipe it out?

Mar 28th - 17:38pm | Lee Dalton

Nice idea ........ But won't believe it until it happens.

President's Energy Plan, Scrapping Of Obama Climate Action Plan Draw Criticisms

Mar 29th - 21:38pm | Lee Dalton

Let's see, didn't we produce more energy under the Obama administration than any other? And didn't we drastically cut our dependence on foreign oil to just about zero? Interesting! Are we witnessing the return of The Myth of Superabundance and the robber barons? How quickly we forget the lessons of the past and blunder foolishly on in heedless headlong greed and foolishness.

Mar 28th - 21:30pm | Rick B.

His governing by executive order is largely public masturbation. Most implementation of this one in particular will be in litigation for years.   Prepare to hear the rants of the flat earth society in opposition to my comment.

Gone and Mostly Forgotten: 26 Abolished National Parks

Mar 29th - 21:06pm | Jason Gablaski

Completely agree. I heard rumors when Jarvis was NPS Director he was trying to get the National Monument switched over to NPS to start the process, but clearly didn't happen.

Huge Increase In Tour Bus Traffic At Yellowstone National Park

Mar 29th - 19:32pm | Rick B.

I still don't get why people who don't otherwise consider themselves racist continue to identify and complain about Chinese [in this instance] tourists. I don't much care where people come from as long as they obey the rules and pay their fare.

Mar 29th - 13:43pm | tomp2

Sharon-- Information on entrance fees for commercial busses is on the fee page for every park: https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/fees.htm for Yellowstone, replace YELL with the 4 letter code for any other park.

Mar 29th - 12:14pm | Michele M.

Sharon - I'm a Tour Operator who brings in some of those buses to Yellowstone.  I pay $500 for the bus to enter Yellowstone and an additional $500 to enter Grand TetonNP.  We specialize in senior tours many of whom would never be able to see Yellowstone and our magnificent National Parks unless they came on a tour.

Mar 28th - 19:53pm | Sharon W.

I agree with the comment that for-profit tour busses should be charged a premium for the Yellowstone experience. However, I've heard that the tour busses (who brought in 500,000 Chinese last year according to the papers)are charged less than $200 to enter the Park, and that's with 50 passengers.  Would someone explain if that is not true and my information is incorrect?

Trump Administration To Review Oil And Gas Regs For National Park System

Mar 29th - 18:52pm | Lee Dalton

And this is just the beginning of the battle. You can be sure there will be a lot more to come. The Rethuglicans see a chance to grab some dollars and power and they're going to go for all they can plunder and all they can pillage while they can before Americans wake up and smell the sludge.

Mar 29th - 13:22pm | Mike Painter

Why not name the congressman who introduced the legislation? It's a House Joint Resolution (H.J.Res.46) expressing disapproval of the rules, which were adopted last November.)

Mar 29th - 06:08am | Rebecca Latson ...

"...inconconceivable..."?  No, I think it's totally conceivable that this would happen under the current administration.

Thousands Call To Reject Permit Requested By Industrial Hog Farm Upstream Of Buffalo National River

Mar 29th - 17:56pm | Linda Eddings

Governor Asa Hutchinson....in the past you have stated that in your opinion the "wildlife, beautiful landscapes and rich culture" of the Buffalo National River must be managed and cared for by the Natonal Park Service.

Mar 29th - 15:12pm | Mrs.Cathie Branch

PLEASE, DENY this permit because of all of the out of state families who helped fight for this BEAUTIFUL river, so many years ago, to not be dammed up, but to become a national river instead ! Deny it because this river is some place that generations of those same families STILL come and bring thier children to enjoy this piece of Heaven that God has given to your state !!!

Mar 29th - 10:42am | Debbie Alexy

The first battle for the Buffalo National River began in the '60's.  Just as today, it took time for awareness of the threat to this jewel of nature that flows in the Ozarks of Arkansas..  Before it was over the battle of the Buffalo in the 60's was joined by the Governor of Arkansas, US Senators, Congressmen, and Supreme Court Justices.  These visionarie

Mar 29th - 10:20am | Terri Allen

I have lived in this beautiful spot for only 5 years, it is a safe harbor for wildlife, you call this the Natural State, there is nothing natural about 6,500 hogs confined to such a small area in such a critical spot. This is the head waters of many watersheds. We are the source of the clean water, please save this pristine wilderness for the generations to come.

Mar 29th - 09:47am | Susan Parker.

we moved here in 1975 because of the beautiful Buffalo River. PLEASE don't let it be destroyed by a hog farm that was literally snuck in the back door.

Mar 29th - 09:35am | Kankabono

I have questions about the long term effects of this farm's operations. We are already experiencing detrimental issues with the farm and the lack of strict regulation it has been blessed with thus far. What has been done to prepare for inevitable issues stemming from this ghastly operation in say 5 or 10 years. What pollution abatement policies and procedures have been put in place?

Mar 29th - 09:16am | Catherine Reed

Please takes the appropriate steps to insure the Buffala River stays clean and safe from harm from pollutants such as Hog waste, and anything else that should not be in that River. Come on Arkansas! Get with the program! It's time to think about our children's future and what we leave them.

Mar 29th - 06:08am | Mike Lewellen

Please deny the permit. I have spent my entire life on the Buffalo River and I am now raising my kids on it. We love this river.

Mar 29th - 04:56am | Patrick Brennan

If it's true that adequate water testing wasn't done prior to issuing a permit in 2012, I wonder why a permit was issued. Seems to me that there's plenty of land tracts available to raise pigs other than an area so close to an area subject to disastrous possibilities. Maybe the reason for the initial issuance was government ineptance. Money talks.

Mar 29th - 04:33am | Bannon Gallaher

This river is one of the most untouched areas in the state. A true window to the past. We, as Arkansans have a special duty to uphold and defend the very title we take so much pride in, "The Natural State".

Mar 29th - 01:27am | Sharon L. Ash

We can't "restore" our lovely rivers and watersheds afterwards;  this is our chance to not further taint our shared resources.  Please restrain this blight on nature.

Mar 28th - 21:15pm | Charles Bunting

Such beautiful country.  My wife and I considefred moving to the Jasper area years ago but decided to move closer to our grandchildren instead.

Mar 28th - 19:16pm | Martha DeChant

After learning about the karst limestone here, I am more concerned than ever about the potential for a disaster.  I have been blessed with having family camping trips every summer throughout the 60's.  We took a month and camped all along the way.  Most of the time, we stayed at our National Parks and National Forests.

Utah Republicans, From The Beehive State To Washington, D.C., United On Altering Public Lands

Mar 29th - 17:12pm | Flatlander for Utah

My wife and I just returned from 6 glorious days in Escalante-Grand Staircase and San Rafael Swell BLM lands. WE made a point th thank all the BLM staff in the Visitor Centers for their efforts in preserving and promoting OUR public lands. It would be a shame to downsize any of these and other public lands.

"Corporate America" Escapee Running Marathon Distances In National Parks

Mar 29th - 13:51pm | tomp2

With all due respect to Hot Springs NP, how many laps does he have to run to make it a marathon, or if he stays in the park the whole way, how many out & backs to Sugarloaf?

Fire Burning In Big Cypress National Preserve Covers More Than 3,000 Acres

Mar 29th - 13:02pm | Pete G

This feels lke fires were intentionally set to discourage public use while they roll their giant vehicles in for seismic testing. Very convenient timing. I'd love to see this map compared to the map of where the seismic testing is happening to see if there's any overlap. My guess is that there is not.

THIRTEEN's Nature Explores The Impact Of Climate Change On The Ecosystem Of Yosemite

Mar 29th - 06:32am | beachdumb

dahkota, I don't think you understand math. The claim is made from using temperature data from about 700 mostly stable rural small town US weather stations that have been continously active since the 1920s. These shouldn't be affected by urban heat island effect like those cherry picked by our dishonest government agencies .

Mar 28th - 21:26pm | Ron Mackie

Interesting article.

Mar 28th - 19:18pm | ecbuck

If the norms rise, extremes flatten out;   Why would that be?

Mar 28th - 18:47pm | dahkota

Can you please provide a reference for the claim: "Using a stable set of ground based stations, the number of daily maximum temperature records peaked in the 1930's and have been generally declining ever since." In Google it just comes up as word salad.

Senior Pass Price Won't Jump To $80 Until October 1

Mar 28th - 22:01pm | John Date

go to any national park or monument and purchase one there no extra fees just $10

Mar 28th - 21:59pm | John Date

No need to renew your pass is for life not to worry youe set for life

National Parks Traveler's Essential Park Guide