You are here

All Recent Comments

Arizona Politicians Seek Bison Hunting In Grand Canyon National Park

Oct 8th - 09:21am | Lee Dalton

We humans seem to forget the old admonishment, "It's not nice to fool Mother Nature!"

Congresswoman Poised To Force Issue On Packrafting In Yellowstone, Grand Teton National Parks

Oct 8th - 09:20am | ecbuck

And nary a packrafter outfit on the lists.  I don't agree with her bill but there is no evidence that she is doing anything other than earnestly representing the interest of her constituents - i.e. her job.  That makes your claims pure empty accusations.

Oct 8th - 09:10am | Lee Dalton

Oct 7th - 21:07pm | Rick B.

Eric - I took a few minutes to do the research. Her funding comes from people you like and I dislike. Have a nice day.

Oct 7th - 21:04pm | Rick B.

It was so nice and quiet in here just of late.   Eric - you go ahead and call me whatever you need to.

Oct 7th - 21:02pm | ecbuck

So Rick, want to back up the accusation or just be another member of the empty accusation crowd?

Oct 7th - 19:56pm | Rick B.

She's a congresscritter.   Q.E.D.

Oct 7th - 19:45pm | ecbuck

Lee - back to your empty accusations - unless you can prove her position is based on monies from packrafters.

Oct 7th - 19:31pm | Lee Dalton

Yes, Kurt, you really know better than trying to use the old "carrying water" bit.  Certainly you know it should have read, "Carrying pocketsful of money from packrafters businesses seeking access to rivers and streams." Shame upon you! '-}

Oct 7th - 10:45am | ecbuck

While I believe it is in Congress's perview to broadly define the role of the NPS including requesting studies, I am totally against the micro management that this bill mandates.  What is the purpose of a "study" if it is already determined that certain waters must be opened?

Oct 7th - 09:08am | David Crowl

Sounds like the time tables are unfair to the NPS. Maybe it would be better to do one river at a time. And NPS could always add a huge fee for packrafting to deter if they are opposed.

Oct 7th - 08:31am | Lee Dalton

Missing from this report is a list of people or organizations that are pushing the Congresswoman to shove this bill through.  Are they a small group of individuals?  A large group of individuals?  Are they mainly outfitters who would be able to open new opportunities to make money using Yellowstone's rivers?

Musings While Drifting Down The Colorado River Through Canyonlands National Park

Oct 8th - 04:48am | Rebecca Latson ...

Ditto ecbuck:  I'd like to read more about your trip and see more photos.

Oct 7th - 08:47am | ecbuck

With an increase in 2015, a 33% additional increase requested in 2016 and substantial increases in entrance fees, why does that one superintendent think the NPS will have less money next year? PS Tell us more about the trip.  More pictures.

Oct 7th - 08:40am | Lee Dalton

A few days ago in Grant Teton, I heard a thought provoking comment from a ranger.  She pointed to the Enabling Act inscribed above the information desk at the new VC in Moose and asked, "Are we missing the boat in this Centennial year by urging more people to visit our parks, but failing to try to educate them on why these places are here and what we all must do to try to protect them?"

Pedaling In The Parks: Coasting Through Badlands National Park

Oct 6th - 20:58pm | Jonathan Apple

Thanks for this. I've been searching for a solid ride through badlands. I'll take this route tomorrow, and let everyone know if I have similar experience.

Scofflaws Piloting Drones In The National Park System

Oct 6th - 20:08pm | Lee Dalton

"A true drone, one flown by remote camera, are currently illegal everywhere." Wrong. Here's a link to an FAA website about RC and drone aircraft limitations: And another interesting article:

Oct 6th - 16:56pm | Acadia on my mind

There was a police log item in this past week's issue of Mount Desert Islander, about Acadia National Park issuing summons to Mass. man for operating drone. No other details or explanation, just this paragraph:

Oct 6th - 10:57am | Bill

There are rules and have been rules for years about radio controlled (RC) aircraft, which is what these drones fall under the control of.  You can't fly them in populated areas and they are not as one commented free to fly anywhere.  A true drone, one flown by remote camera, are currently illegal everywhere.  These are RC aircrafts and must follow the rules for them.

Oct 6th - 09:37am | Kurt Repanshek

Philly, the gentleman in the photo did indeed launch his drone in the park, even after I pointed out that he was in a national park and that drones were banned in national parks. There are other cases, as well -- are you familiar with the drone laying at the bottom of Grand Prismatic Spring in Yellowstone National Park, or the buzzing of wildlife in Zion National Park?

Oct 6th - 01:16am | Philly Drones

How can someone be a "scofflaw" when he is doing something that is perfectly legal?   National Park Service is in charge of National Park lands.  They do not have the authority to control airspace far above their parks.  That's what FAA does - and FAA is perfectly fine with recreational 'drone' flying.  (with a few restricted areas.)

Spritzing Of Bear Spray Drives Grizzly Off Glacier National Park Hiker

Oct 6th - 19:57pm | Lee Dalton

Just back from a week in Yellowstone and Grand Teton.  In YELL, I happened upon a ranger demonstration of using an inert bear spray.  He explained exactly when and how to use it  and gave any interested visitors a chance to try it for themselves.

Oct 6th - 15:26pm | Dave Smith

The incident discussed here is one reason  bogus "research" shows bear spray is more effective than a firearm. If the hiker had a gun, this would be a firearms failure. During 27% percent of the incidents in Efficacy of Firearms For Bear Deterrence in Alaska, people were injured before they could shoot.

Oct 6th - 14:46pm | Ray Bane

The use of pepper spray can have a potentially negative impact on bear/human encounters.  Obviously, a bear that charges a person is a prime candidate for spraying at close quarters.  However, automatically spraying a bear that you happen to encounter on a trail and which shows no aggressive behavior may do more harm than good.

Oct 6th - 13:54pm | Anonymous

If at first it doesn't succeed...

Oct 5th - 13:52pm | Chuck Bartlebaugh

Short burst due not always work if it is a preditory or combative charge you may need to spray much longer. If the bear returnes or recharges you may have to spray a second or third time.  DURATION & DISTANCE COUNT

Can The Tourism Industry Help Save Africa's Wild Elephants?

Oct 6th - 19:52pm | JeanBjerke

The plight of elephants and rhinos in Africa due to poaching, and Africa's wildlife in general due to an array of factors, is truly heartbreaking. Thank you for an excellent article. Prince William of the UK also recently published an excellent article in the London Financial Times on this topic.

Cedar Grove At Kings Canyon National Park Closed Indefinitely

Oct 6th - 13:18pm | Anonymous

For those who aren't familiar with Kings Canyon NP, Cedar Grove closes for the winter every year around this time. So unless the closure extends through next summer, this isn't anything unusual.

Musings From Olympic National Park

Oct 6th - 06:58am | Rebecca Latson ...

Your articles are always enjoyable to read, Lee.  I was there eons ago before my move to Texas (which I still consider a temporary move).  Younger then, I didn't notice half as much as I would now (I hope).  This article reminds me to go there again.

Oct 4th - 13:58pm | Random Walker

Thanks Lee,I hiked the Elwha, from the snowfinger to the ocean during a Bailey Traverse before removal of the damns... might be time to do it again, experience the rivers changes.

Oct 4th - 13:19pm | Rick B.

Lee... I'm enjoying - with no small amount of envy - your walkabout musings from various parks.

B-29 Superfortress That Lies at the Bottom of Lake Mead Continues to Draw Attention

Oct 5th - 20:09pm | Plane crazy

The b-29 should be raised preserved and taken to Wichita and rebuilt to become the third flyable b-29 besides " doc and fifi.

Flooding Nurtures Life in Congaree National Park

Oct 4th - 23:48pm | Shawn cheney

Hope everyrthing is ok after this flood!

Life Buoyed By The National Parks

Oct 4th - 17:46pm | Helen Petras

Bobbie was a cousin that I never got to know.  I'm so glad that you did and shared it with us. Your last paragraph about energy resonated with me to the core because I've always believed that after death our energy lives on.  Lives on in others as well as the universe.  Our energy is what keeps the universe in perspective......and real.....and alive.

Saguaro Cacti Tagged By Vandals At Saguaro National Park

Oct 3rd - 08:04am | Anonymous

I totaly agree with your comment.  Web Design Agency in New York (NYC)

Way Out There In North Cascades National Park

Oct 2nd - 18:05pm | Rick B.

We just moved to this beautiful area, living just off of highway 20. My wife, who is stationed in Marblemount, has already taken some short hikes in the park and I have hopes to get back into sufficient physical condition to join her on more. I envy the authors their opportunity in exploring the park the way it truly should be explored.

Oct 1st - 10:43am | Matt M

North Cascades is such an amazing park, especially the Hannegan/Copper Ridge area, and most of this trip was on the Pacific Northwest National Scenic Trail!

Catch Autumn's Glow: Your Best Bets

Oct 2nd - 17:05pm | Acadia on my mind

While it's not peak foliage yet in Acadia National Park, our latest blog post includes live webcams and link to state of Maine's weekly foliage report, as well as a round-up of activities in Acadia and surrounding communities throughout the month of October. We'll update the post once the official word comes from Maine, that foliage is peaking, so be sure to check back.

The Ghosts Of Yellowstone National Park

Oct 2nd - 09:37am | Beverly Hill va...

I'm curious about the ghost sighting in Room #2 as I had a very similar experience at the hotel many years ago - including waking my husband and seeing a woman dressed in a 19th century dress.  I would love to compare notes with the woman who saw the ghost - what color was the dress, what, if anything did the woman say or do, etc.  If you know who the guest was, please pass this on.

Enjoy The Music During 'Dulcimer Days' Along The Natchez Trace Parkway

Oct 1st - 21:39pm | Marshall Leonard

I would love to go...sounds cool  but I have a prior engagement... should advertise earlier, maybe 1-2 weeks before events.  Dang...

Photography In The National Parks: Your Armchair Guide To Arches National Park – Part 2

Sep 30th - 11:38am | Winnie

Thank you for sharing these beautiful pictures.

Reader Participation Day: Can You Share A Tip?

Sep 30th - 09:28am | NP_Day_Hiker

I agree, the biggest thing for me is to hike early in the morning.  I also hike in the evenings sometimes.  I've noticed that the farther you hike from a trailhead the more the crowd thins out.  Even a mile-long hike will be far less crowded than a scenic vista or turnout.

Sep 30th - 07:14am | Acadia on my mind

We've been able to avoid the crowds in all the years we've been going to Acadia National Park, by taking these steps: Get to the trailhead early or late, pick a trail in the less crowded part of the park, or go in May or June or after Labor Day, and avoid 3-day weekends.

Delaware North Companies Sues United States Over Loss Of Yosemite National Park Contract

Sep 30th - 01:32am | slc72

Why should a company not get compensated for a name that it came up with in the first place and then made famous over the years.  I contend that this was all by design by our first director.

Sep 29th - 13:28pm | Paulette Baker

Any concessionaire's attempt to trademark place names in a national park is ridiculous, especially when those place names preceded their contract. Greed, pure and simple.

Sep 29th - 13:06pm | Owen Hoffman

Al, I wonder sometimes whether or not our recollections of things in our past aren't influenced by rose colored glasses.  I understand that you are a very strong supporter of the railroads and their role in advocating the development of national parks as tourist destinations.  In my early teens, I too often preferred to ride the trains whenever possible.

Photography in National Parks

Sep 29th - 23:48pm | Amarillobymorning

The Minute Man National Monument just north of Boston is worth seeing, some pretty scenery and some historic sights (including a memorial to the British soldiers who were killed). Gettysburg is extremely moving and you can get some very creative shots of statues, etc.

Deer Culling Coming To Gettysburg National Military Park

Sep 29th - 08:14am | Anne Barton

If this were an effective method of managing deer and forest damage they would not have to continue it forever as they seem to be doing.

Sep 29th - 07:17am | Greer Ashton

And how has the culling worked out over the years, so far?  Have deer number decreased, or is that number lower only immediatley after the"'cull"? Have there been any years in which it wasn't "necessary" to perform the cull? The answer should be obviouols if the hunting continues.

National Park management

Sep 28th - 14:27pm | George

Thanks for the memories of Bill Jones and Carl Sharsmith, who were my mentors during the summer of 1961.  I used what they taught me both in my career with the BLM wilderness program and conservation groups and, since retiring, in my volunteer work.

National Parks Traveler's Essential Park Guide