You are here

All Recent Comments

Centennial Series | Reform, Don't Replace, The National Park Service

Aug 10th - 22:18pm | Rick B.

Where were we? That's right: Centennial Series | Reform, Don't Replace, The National Park Service

Aug 10th - 22:16pm | ecbuck

And you are buying in to the old Democratic tradition of making baseless accusations.  Show me a Republican that has changed his position due to being bought and I am willing to throw him in the slammer.  Are you willing to throw Hillary in the slammer for selling her position as Secretary of State?  The evidence came out loud and clear today.

Aug 10th - 21:58pm | Rick B.

Glad you are in favor of supporting the old Republican tradition of buying the best politicians you can.

Aug 10th - 21:43pm | ecbuck

"corruption and bribery "- do I hear Clinton Foundation and State Department - are crimes that have nothing to do with free speech.  Expressing your preference for a political candidate is the epitomy of free speech.

Aug 10th - 21:21pm | Rick B.

Again with that nonnsense that money equals speech. Follow that out and every corruption and bribery conviction infringes first amendment rights.

Aug 10th - 20:38pm | ecbuck

With you Lee on term limits, not so much on eliminating the 1st amendment.  Unfortunately I don't think either would substantially change the plight of the NPS.

Aug 10th - 10:49am | tahoma

"This paper is not intended to suggest that the NPS is doing everything right. As we and many other analysts have argued, the National Park System is plagued with significant problems, such as deteriorating infrastructure, micromanagement from political authorities, and difficulties in restoring important natural ecosystems..."

Aug 10th - 09:51am | Lee Dalton

Maybe the best place to start would be to reform Congress with term limits and strict regulation of campaign funding.

Are National Parks An Appropriate Backdrop For Sports Illustrated's Swimsuit Issue?

Aug 10th - 20:30pm | ecbuck

Can't believe this thread is still going on.  Must be everyone like scrolling through the story (pictures) to get to the comment section;)

Aug 10th - 19:35pm | Gary Wilson

Allfried, is there any day where you can go by without the self-promotion and especially hawking your books on this site?   The more I read you here, especially in regards to anthropogenic global warming, along with and many other topics, the more I pity any millenials that have to put up with you as a professor.

Aug 10th - 18:59pm | Alfred Runte

But Gary doesn't want to remember, Kurt. He wants to be selective. And is that not the point? He wants to select for what he approves, while condemning others for what they disapprove. And to make sure we accept his values, he reminds us of what we, too, must disapprove.

Aug 10th - 17:47pm | Gary Wilson

Unfortunately those acts of vandalism were not park approved activities. I was thinking more along the lines of activities that the NPS approved for the time period, which has led to this debate.

Aug 10th - 17:26pm | Kurt Repanshek

P.T. Barnum?How about creepytings and her acrylic paintings in the parks?Or the guys who walked along the edges of Grand Prismatic Spring in Yellowstone?Or the dude who crashed his drone into the spring?

Aug 10th - 17:20pm | Gary Wilson

Sorry Alfred, but i've been in National Parks for quite a lot of my life. Now, i'm in one full time, and I don't see more PT barnum, and less John Muir.  I just don't. I meet a lot of people that care about nature, and practice conservation.

Aug 10th - 16:16pm | Alfred Runte

Unfortunately, he also needs to get to the gym more often, but yes, he takes to the trails every year in Zion--and remains a hit with the ladies! (Only don't show this picture to my wife!)

Aug 10th - 15:12pm | Kurt Repanshek

Gary, the good Dr. Runte was on a Traveler adventure back in June, when we spent four days floating the Green River through the Gates of Lodore and Lodore Canyon in Dinosaur National Monument. He was a real hit with the ladies! And last summer he floated with us for five days down the Yampa through Dinosaur.

Aug 10th - 15:07pm | Gary Wilson

Alfred, you continue to present yourself as out of touch with the daily reality that goes on in our National Parks.  I have to admit, I find myself questioning when the last time you went off on a trail and had a real adventure in a park?

Aug 10th - 12:35pm | Alfred Runte

Gary, your list of "damaging" commercial intrusions is itself politically correct. You left out wind and solar farms impinging on park boundaries, viewsheds, resources, and wildlife. But I digress.

Aug 10th - 06:12am | Raine

This is just shameful!  Whoever allowed this should be removed from their office!

Aug 9th - 21:06pm | Gary Wilson

"Commercial exploitation" when no resources are harmed sounds like a harsh term.  Commercial exploitation is when the resources of the park are disrupted and harmed and the park is then altered.  To me, commercial exploitation is mining, logging, extracting water, damming a river for energy, killing or harvesting wildlife from the park boundaries.

Aug 9th - 18:07pm | Trailsman

Brickleberry has it right

Aug 9th - 18:02pm | Dan B

Gary, I agree, the Politically Correct Rangers are now out in full force.  This is getting silly now.  If you don't like, don't look.  And quit trying to push your values onto me.

Aug 9th - 17:25pm | Ethical Retired...

I was involved in monitoring a couple of location shots for the IMAX film "Grand Canyon the Hidden Secrets".  While this filming did cause some disruptions in Park activities, and had its share of inaccuracies, I feel its promoters made a decent effort to promote appreciation for the Park and its resources.

Aug 9th - 16:59pm | rmackie

Ethical Retired Ranger, yes, the short lived series "Sierra". Could pontificate at length on the lessons learned, but you have to be involved in one of these efforts to understand the logistics, closures, staff and field employee time, etc.  dedicated to accomplishing the project, all of which detracts from operating the park.

Aug 9th - 16:31pm | Ethical Retired...

Mackie, are you referring to the short-lived 1970's TV Series "Sierra", which was largely filmed at Yosemite National Park?  This production not only presented a highly inaccurate depiction of National Park Rangers, but seemed aimed at making them into cartoonish Jellystone Park characters.

Aug 9th - 15:53pm | alpineflora

The National Park Service rangers who were "required" by the stipulations of the permit must have really loved this assignment.

Aug 9th - 15:35pm | rmackie

Thank you Kurt, I agree that is the question. For the NPS to allow a filming permit that is so transparently commercial in its purpose with no intention of educating anyone to the ecological, historical or culture issues inherent in the area is a mistake, at least in my opinion.

Aug 9th - 14:26pm | Beachwalker

At least they have some clothes on.  Try enjoying walking the beaches of Canaveral National Seahore and being subjected to comments  and astoundingly up front and personal visuals of the fully nude visitors  along with some of their sexual antics that the NPS allows.  Anything for a buck I guess.

Aug 9th - 13:22pm | Elena Robisch

This is unbelievable and in such bad taste.  Stupid NPS

Aug 9th - 13:16pm | David Crowl

I wonder if the person who wrote the permit knows what kind of Photo Shoot Sports Illustrated was planning. Maybe they thought it would be about fishing or something that is a sport or a athlete that is involved in a sport. Either way, I agree with Gary and EC, Unless they broke a guideline, Does not effect me. If you are worried about the gudelines, than try to change that.

Aug 9th - 12:30pm | SmokiesBackpacker

An NPS manager sensitive to the issues of the day would have asked this be postponed or moved elsewhere.  Again, saying an NPS manager is sensitive to anything is a stretch.  I like what Congressman John Duncan said in his newsletter last week about Jarvis and his mismanagement of the NPS.  He cited the ever growing "maintenance backlog" ruse.

Aug 9th - 09:55am | ecbuck

Wow, some people really go out of their way to be offended. The shoot did no harm to natural resources and given that anyone that was going to be looking at the issue presumably finds the pictures appealing, how does is "hurt" the parks image. Seems to me it would be enhancing the image for those that like the swimsuit issue. For those that don't, they would never see it.

Aug 9th - 06:02am | oldbuffalo

How about "Boatman #3" doing a photo shoot at the Grand Canyon for the "Men's" issue of SI? Or the new Yount Award winner having a cameo in the body paint section of SI shot on the beaches of CCNS ? Melania T. in lingerie promoting the values of Women's Rights NHP ? I think the Jarvis NPS is on to something here.

Aug 8th - 22:12pm | Xyiti

Makes about as much sense as having an orchestra in a Nat'l Park.

Aug 8th - 22:07pm | Gary Wilson

What I find annoying is how this is being twisted on this site, especially considering that this media outlet has a history of oversensationalizing many issues just to turn a paper.

Aug 8th - 21:04pm | Rick B.

Gary - I agree with some of what you said about photographing someone in a bikini in the parks is no big deal, but I only go so far with you. You are being disingenous when you try to disregard the realities of objectivization. it is a complex and intertwined issue.

Aug 8th - 20:52pm | Kurt Repanshek

Rod, thanks for taking the time to address the values question I raised.

Aug 8th - 20:23pm | RodF

I asked "What would a Federal court decide?"  Federal rulemaking could (but does not) ban bikinis.  There is no ban on bikinis (or even nudity) throughout the NPS system.  36 CFR 7.87 bans public nudity only at Kaloko-Honokohau National Historical Park in Hawaii.  Supplementary rules for the BLM California Desert District Office ban nudity in visitors centers, campgrounds an

Alaska's Predator Control Efforts Kill National Park Service Predator-Prey Study

Aug 10th - 20:26pm | Juan Carlos Bravo

"... the state's intensive management program," More like a KILLING program, no need for euphemisms we're all adults premusably, and can call killing by its name. It will make it easier to ask: Why does the state have a predator killing prgram? and harder to answer it.

Artist-In-Residence In The Parks

Aug 10th - 16:59pm | Arlene Linder

I was picked to be an artist in residence at Yosemite durring the month of August for next year and I lost the letter telling me the date. It is important that I know because I have been attending classes at Oxford University in the summer and I don't want to have a conflicting date for next summer. Thank you

Woman Dies in Fall From Angel's Landing

Aug 9th - 19:28pm | Bill B

I climbed to  Scouts Lookout today with my family.  My wife and boys of 17 and 14 took a look and decided not to go on.  Instead they continued on the West Rim trail to a point higher than Angel's Landing.  I went on to Angel's Landing.  I would not do it again.  All of us are quite athletic and sure of ourselves, my family would have made it.

Op-Ed | Anti-Ranch Activists Use Familiar Playbook

Aug 9th - 14:26pm | Rick B.

Using a group-sounding nym with an "official, oversight" sounding name like "NPS Watch", but then throughout your comments using the "I" word ["I will summaarize, I read..." etc] is curious. Since everyone else commenting on this have used their own names or organizations, I'm curious who you - and I'm using the word as a singular, not a plural - are or represent.

Leslie Reynolds, Chief Ranger At Cape Cod, Awarded Top Honor For A Ranger

Aug 9th - 14:16pm | Rick B.

Congratulations for a peer-nominated award, obviously well deserved.

The Glacier Skywalk Is Open At Jasper National Park In Alberta

Aug 9th - 11:40am | Geoff

This attraction was extremely well done -providing both a thrill of looking down between your feet, along with an exceptional view of the canyon below and how the creek has carved many features into the living rock.  There are also many educational elements incorporated as well.

Photography In The National Parks: A “Twofer” - To Crop Or Not To Crop And Horizontal Vs. Vertical

Aug 9th - 10:34am | mtgnppics

Good article, thank you.  I fairly often try vertical shots, but frequently don't like them. Maybe it's composition I need to take more time with.  Will keep trying.

Aug 9th - 09:53am | Jim Hochstein

Great information and useful.  I learned a lot.

Aug 9th - 09:33am | Chip B

I'm not sure why cropping would even be consided a 'wrong' thing to do.  Lots of good reasons to crop - maybe you've only got a 300mm lens and the distance to the bird/animal calls for a 500mm lens.  Or changing the lens on your camera is either not practical (blowing dust) or you'd lose the shot.  As long as the quality of the cropped shot stands up, then...

Writers Speak Out For A Bears Ears National Monument

Aug 9th - 08:22am | Lee Dalton

There may be bears ears in southeastern Utah, but there are few ears listening where it really counts in the Utah legislature or Congressional delegation.  They are listening only for the sound of dollar bills being unfolded.

Will Congress Pass A Centennial Bill For The National Park Service?

Aug 9th - 05:51am | Harryb3570

It will never happen. The Congress has too many other issues needing attention.

Decommissioning Glen Canyon Dam Would Have Minimal Impact On Power Grid, Study Says

Aug 8th - 19:53pm | Alfred Runte

The downside of Glen Canyon Dam was recognized years ago--and only now acknowledged in the current drought. Probably the first step will be to draw Lake Powell down and restore the dwindling levels of Lake Mead. Then, should a wet period return, the dam would still be in place for further storage--and power.

National Parks Traveler's Essential Park Guide