You are here

All Recent Comments

National Park Service Fires Highly Valued Superintendent For Refusing New Job

Jan 5th - 11:02am | Gila Monster

NPS posts - especially on Superintendet level - are usually temporary, right? A bit like in the diplomatic service - you serve your term, then head on to another job. If Mrs Miller can't accept to change her job then maybe she should quit the NPS - instead of suing them.

Jan 5th - 10:49am | Alfred Runte

This isn't just the National Park Service; it is now rife throughout the American workplace. In my field, university teaching, this is exactly how universities get rid of people who dare question the Administration. The Administration sets up some impossible standards and throws you out the door.

Jan 5th - 10:33am | TwoCollieTom

I wonder what the rest of this story is, and what reasoning NPS had.  My guess is that there is much more to this story than was mentioned in the article.  After all, there are always at least two sides to a situation such as this.

Jan 5th - 10:03am | tahoma

If NPS management treated a capable superintendent in this manner, imagine the hundreds of rank & file employees they have crucified. Is it any wonder NPS employee satisfaction scores are cratering?

Jan 5th - 06:58am | SmokiesBackpacker

You do what Jarvis tells you to do or we will Ranger Danno you.   Lockstep with the Fuhrer.

Native American Tribes To Pursue Bear Ears National Monument With President Obama

Jan 5th - 00:28am | Francisco Romero

Good luck. I hope you are successful in this endeavor!

Jan 4th - 17:01pm | ***

It Was their land first regardless of what you think.

Jan 4th - 16:46pm | John Bochenek

Good luck in your efforts. Having talked to and learned of Navajo traditions while travelling this area, there is nothing better that could become of this land. It would preserve the spirit for all people.

Jan 4th - 14:48pm | Zan Zhin

Seems suspiciously large considering their proposed boundaries swallow an existing National Monument, a National Forest, a Federally protected wilderness, and encroaches on a designated National Recreation area. One only need travel extensively through northeastern Arizona and see what giving land over to tribal control does...

Jan 4th - 14:27pm | Jonathan Vandev...

That would be a great thing to accomplish in sich a strikingly beautiful part of your country.  I wish you all strength and good luck. Keep pushing!

Jan 4th - 14:00pm | Lee Dalton

Of course, Reps. Bishop and Chafetz tell a very different story.  But what's that they say about politicans and forked tongues? www.sltrib.com/opinion/3091919.../op-ed-weve-gone-to-obama-to

Jan 4th - 12:43pm | Gila Monster

That would be one great National Monument. Good luck.

Former Effigy Mounds National Monument Superintendent Pleads Guilty To Theft Of Artifacts

Jan 4th - 21:15pm | Lee Dalton

Is it NPS or Justice Department?

Jan 4th - 19:25pm | Ray Bane

This is a sad report of the total failure of stewardship by a senior NPS management employee.  As virtually any park service employee will attest, NPS personnel must be held to the highest standards of resource protection and public service.  The parks and their resources are the property of the American public, both current and future.

Jan 4th - 19:03pm | Rick B.

Caught, prosecuted, convicted.

Jan 4th - 15:43pm | SmokiesBackpacker

This is just the one who got caught.

Op-Ed | New National Parks For The Next Century

Jan 4th - 16:40pm | Alfred Runte

Oops! Forgot to log in. Anonymous above is me.

Jan 4th - 16:27pm | Anonymous

I am all for expanding the national park system. However, expansion can lead to dilution, too. More of a good thing is not necessarily a good thing in every instance, as I remind myself when eating a hot fudge sundae.

Jan 4th - 13:31pm | Cory D.

The challenge is expansion without the use of imminent domain.  The use of imminent domain is a recipe for disaster. If people are forced off of their land to make way for national parks, the expansion becomes political and a bad thing.  It will create a movement to defund rather than expand.  The National Park System will be seen as a malignant presense.

National Park Service Ban on Lead Ammo, Fishing Gear Draws Ire of Shooting Sports Foundation

Jan 4th - 11:22am | Bill

Except that when you fly through the windshield and end up at the hospital, the group health insurance coverage foots the bill, not you.  And that pushes costs onto the rest of us.  If you want to sign a waiver that you refuse all life saving treatments should you be injured while not wearing a seatbelt, then by all means, main, wound, or kill yourself to your hearts content.

Jan 3rd - 19:13pm | George Douglas

The National Park Service is like the rest of the federal government. They live to over regulate and take personal freedoms from American citizens! This at one time was a free country. Now there are at least a dozen countries that are  considered to have more freedom than the USA. These NPS idiots even banned the lead used in nymphs in

UPDATED: While Some Rangers Head To Greener Pastures, Their Horses Aren’t So Lucky

Jan 4th - 08:52am | Adele Sands

Thanks for all of the information.  I was supporting several feedlot groups until I did some research. The owners of the lots now can make a quick buck From horse advocates, and are  buying up horses that in the past would've sold at the auction to good homes. It was very disturbing what was going on.

Jan 3rd - 13:36pm | Rick B.

I don't think the slaughter is univeersal. Here at North Cascades complex. The person in charge of the trail horses is actively seeking good homes for retired NPS horses.   It just seems to me that a simple top-down policy of benevolence would solve what appears to be a widely variable situation.

Jan 3rd - 10:20am | ChicoRey

In reply to the comment above - horse slaughter has NEVER been, nor is it now - humane!  If in doubt-watch videos of horse slaugher-Kauffman, Texas)  And as for being a "source for protein"?  Any domestic horse - at least in this country - has, during its lifetime, medications (such as bute), supplements, wormers, fly-sprays - all of which are clearly marked "not for use in food

Jan 2nd - 19:27pm | Kaeleen

I'd love to have a older NPS horse to ride trails once in awhile with my kids. Love older horses.

Traveler's View: How Will The Next Century Define The National Park Experience?

Jan 3rd - 12:31pm | Lee Dalton

Is it that visitors don't CARE or is it more accurate to say that they don't KNOW?

Traffic Patterns Leading To Reduction In Lodging Inside Mammoth Cave National Park

Jan 2nd - 19:57pm | Doug

I think the park is under estimating the need for nice large rooms. I believe the decrease in overnight stays are due to the quality of the facility. I checked out the facilities for a staff retreat where I worked, and I felt I couldn't ask my colleagues to stay in the dump of a lodge that was there. They look like bad dorm rooms.

"It Is Obvious We Need To Educate The Visitors"

Jan 1st - 21:46pm | Rick B.

We'll call it the Rick & Lee Show.

Jan 1st - 16:55pm | Lee Dalton

Y'know, Rick, after seeing that nearly 23,000 kids became Junior Rangers at Yosemite alone, perhaps the idea of providing a parallel activity for parents might work without a great deal of extra effort. Hmmmm.

Jan 1st - 15:39pm | Cornell Tramontana

RE: "hopeless dunces" One should not confuse lack of intelligence with not caring. Some don't care whether what do affects other visitors experiences or how it affect the park.

Jan 1st - 15:34pm | Cornell Tramontana

Do you really believe that a lot of them care about the requlations? The only way that they will learn is if the consequences are meaningful, such as siezing any equipment they use in the comission of their acts.

Dec 31st - 23:31pm | trailadvocate

Bucking the pop culture enlightenment I have always enjoyed and respected your posts, ec.   Yeah, Im old and tasted the pop culture as a youngster but it's time to grow up and grow a pair.  Many are enjoying the efforts that have gone before who have taken the arrows that have allowed this stupidity to flurish.

Dec 31st - 20:30pm | Rick B.

That could actually be one of the easiest parts. In Klondike Goldrush NHP, where I just left, they had a storefront dedicated to the Junior Ranger program, with a go-getter enthusiastic ranger manning it.

Dec 31st - 19:27pm | Lee Dalton

Thanks, Rick.  Now the hard part. How?

Dec 31st - 16:56pm | Rick B.

"Another thought hit as I was perusing the catalog.  How about handing parents a companion booklet to accompany Junior Ranger books given to children?  Some education aimed at helping parents understand how they may help ensure that these parks will still be here -- unimpaired -- for the children of their children.  Perhaps we need to give parents a patch showing that they be

Dec 31st - 15:29pm | Lee Dalton

I just received my copy of the Yellowstone Association's summer program catalog.  One offering in particular caught my attention.  On page 21 we find "Between A Rock And A Hard Place: Facing Geolorical Challenges In Yellowstone."  A three-day program July 12 - 14 examining management challenges at Yellowstone.  Cost $360.  I think I'll sign up and would be delighted to

Dec 31st - 13:19pm | Elizabeth Bolt

What part of Leave No Trace does this generation not understand?  What does race and culture have to do with vandalism? And rudeness?  If you take a boom box to the wilderness you don't disturb your neighbors they are visiting for the peace and quite or they are the wild animals that were there first that you came to visit.

Dec 31st - 12:35pm | SheilaS

Can we get our lawmakers to increase funding to the NPS and NFS? The parks and forests can't afford the personnel, technology, educational materials, etc. that it needs. We can't expect them to oversee, educate, or train the public without the funds to do so. Funding has been consistently cut for the last 20 years with no real allowance made for the increased use.

Dec 31st - 11:21am | Lee Dalton

Alfred just said very eloquently what I've been trying to say.

Dec 31st - 11:17am | Lee Dalton

Do younger generations pay attention to anything that isn't exploding or using some spectacular special effect every second?  Maybe what's really needed is a production like Star Wars or one of the Stupor Heroes movies.  (And, yes, the t in that word is intentional.)  Hmmmm, flaming billboards shooting streams of fireworks into the sky just might do the job.

Dec 31st - 11:13am | Alfred Runte

My supervisor in Yosemite used to get apoplexy at my talks. On the other hand, she absolutely loved them, and stuck by me all the way. She knew somebody had to say it--this is a national park.

Dec 31st - 09:38am | Kurt Repanshek

I dunno, Lee, I kinda like the road sign suggestion. Growing up and going on family vacations to Florida I recall seeing "South of the Border" signs from Virginia down into South Carolina to lead folks to that roadside attraction. That place was well ingrained in my young mind miles and miles before we saw it.

Musings From Mesa Verde National Park By Candlelight

Jan 1st - 20:56pm | plainview

What a great idea!  I will definitely put that on my calendar for next year.

Jan 1st - 19:32pm | Daryl L. Hunter

Wish I could have been there.

Jan 1st - 14:30pm | Rick B.

I'm far from a competent low-light photographer. I'd simply like to experience this first hand some day - ust be amazing.

Jan 1st - 09:54am | Lee Dalton

HAPPY NEW YEAR, everyone.

Op-Ed | A Protective Firewall For Grizzlies

Jan 1st - 19:23pm | Daryl L. Hunter

Appreciate it Tim, I know many of our photographer friends won't thinks so.

Record Visitation Strained Some National Parks This Year, Creating Concern Over What 2016 Might Bring

Dec 31st - 19:54pm | Lee Dalton

A thoughtful op-ed from today's Salt Lake tribune: http://www.sltrib.com/opinion/3339941-155/wharton-in-their-100th-year-na...

Lifetime "Senior" and "Access" Park Passes Now Available By Mail

Dec 31st - 19:45pm | Phil Bailey

I just bought an annual pass for Acadia (where I live) but would this Senior Pass replace that and be good at all parks? Can I return it and get a Senior Pass?

Inspector General: National Park Service Mismanaged Brinkerhoff Lodge At Grand Teton National Park

Dec 31st - 10:34am | Deborah Breeden

I don't have a problem with people using this place, simply charge them. As far as security and habitability, your talking Wyoming. Locks on doors are usually the norm. If a visitor is thought to need more security in the wilderness than this place offers,  they need to bring your own or go somewhere else.

National Parks Traveler's Essential Park Guide