You are here

All Recent Comments

The Real Story About The Bison Calf That Took A Ride In The Car

May 23rd - 14:01pm | Rose

EXACTLY.....BUT this was not NATURAL & if a HUMAN is to make the error & intervene I stand by sending calf to the Sanctuary.  MURDER is wrong on every level!

May 23rd - 13:55pm | Rose

I totally agree,  I checked & there are many BISON Sanctuaries in NW Territory.  Killing them is not the answer, we are keeping MANY types of aniamls on the EXTINCT List in captivity to Breed & Hope to reintroduce once again to their native land, if there is any left?????   Humans are taking their natural habitat & DO NOT seem to CARE!

May 23rd - 13:51pm | Jeff Jackson

Very eloquent, poignant, well-written bullshit. The calf could have been saved. End of story.

May 23rd - 13:44pm | Jan Amundsen

Thank you Debbie. Males me cry!

May 23rd - 13:43pm | Ellen Kwait

I agree. These people tried to save the calf and there are a lot of wildlife sanctuaries. They should have at least tried to call and see if one would take the baby. I think the people who took it did a wonderful thing and wanted it to live.

May 23rd - 13:41pm | austin stoner

Thank you for this enlightening article!!

May 23rd - 13:33pm | Dawn

The park service explained why that was not a feasible option. http://www.yellowstonepark.com/bison-calf-put-in-car/

May 23rd - 13:24pm | Ella Frell

Yellowstone's whole goal is to let nature be as best it can and preserve it.  Would you have wolf pups go hungry because their parents are stopped by humans every time they try to bring a bison calf home to their babies.   Yellowstone is better off without people like you.  I, for one, look forward to never seeing you there.

May 23rd - 11:01am | Pat

Yes, what the visitors did wasn't right but I am glad to hear the full story as it seemed that the National Park Service was throwing the visitors under the bus in order to make a point - certainly from what I had read, I - like many others - had come to believe that the visitors in effect signed the death warrant for the calf, when in actuality they just brought the calf to the attention of th

May 23rd - 10:09am | Marcia Tarrant

Beautifully spoken Deby.

May 23rd - 10:09am | rmackie

Thank you Deby Dixon for this excellent post. As you point out, education is the key. I agree with Maureen Dennis, others, that a balanced agreement between the NPS and the visitors involved can be reached. It appears they were only trying to help. Thanks again.

May 22nd - 22:08pm | Jo Anne Richards

Thank you, Deby for connecting the dots, and revealing the facts about the baby bison.  While it is a common and sad story, it is filled with compassion and hope for understanding and acceptance.  This is a good lesson for each of us.  Again, thank you.

May 22nd - 15:15pm | Maureen Dennis

I have searched FB daily to see any updates on this story, as I knew it would take many twists and turns. Thank you for setting things straight. I hope there is also a fair and balanced agreement between the NPS and those who gave the ride to the calf. Thanks again for this article. I am headed to Yellowstone next month and anxious to show one of my kids its beauty.

May 22nd - 14:56pm | Molly

very well written and sad... As beautiful as the wild is, there are some very sad, ugly but necessary parts.

May 22nd - 11:51am | Angela Bates

Debi, your treatment of this complex ethical situation is so eloquent and beautifully written. I wiped away tears as I read it, the same tears had I been there witnessing this calf confronting the profound forces of nature.

May 22nd - 11:31am | Joe Calabrese

A very enlightening article! I disagree with Joanna T's response....

May 22nd - 11:28am | Julia White

You don't get it do you?  "To accept nature on it's own terms" isn't explicit enough?  I'm guessing around a hundred bison calves a year die for various reasons. The number of Bison in Yellowstone have the system pretty well maxed out. If they all lived there wouldn't be anything for them to eat. This is natural history 101. Unfortunately humans have forgotten this.

May 22nd - 11:02am | Joanna Tallarico

This is bullshit. No help for the calf really? I'm sure there is a sanctuary somewhere that could have helped the calf.  Such a beautiful creature to be put down is a sin. I will never travel to Yellowstone. They need to rethink their responsibility to the wildlife.

May 22nd - 10:20am | andrea lankford

Well done Deby! Thanks for writing this.

May 22nd - 09:57am | mtgnppics

Thank you, Debbie.  :)

May 22nd - 06:47am | Colleen Kilbane

Deby, I was anxiously awaiting this artilce without dissapointment.  I will pass it along in hopes to educate pople not only about what to do or not to do the next time, but to relieve the said visitors of more grief.  Thank you for all that you do and I hope to meet you one day in YNP.

Wrong Bear Put Down In Connection With Hiker Attack At Great Smoky Mountains National Park

May 23rd - 13:46pm | Hiking Diva

Your article is incredibly inaccurate about the attack last June. Although DNA revealed the bear the rangers took down was not the bear involved in the horrific attack, the bear still exhibited excessive aggression that the rangers felt necessary to shoot.

When Did Dancing In The Thomas Jefferson Memorial Become A Crime?

May 23rd - 12:26pm | Previosly Gandhi

But this monument doesn't belong to the government, it belongs to the people who paid for it. . .  and if the people want to dance so be it. So Thomas Jefferson said: "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." "The boisterous sea of liberty is never without a wave."

National Park Service Approves Seismic Testing For Oil In Big Cypress National Preserve

May 23rd - 10:44am | sray

Margo,  You are absolutely correct.  Gopher Tortoises are found in Collier County.  I have seen many of them.  That being said they are not found in Big Cypress National Preserve.  It is just the wrong habitat and the wrong hydroperiod

Fake USGS Site Urges Evacuation of Yellowstone National Park

May 22nd - 20:18pm | BGS

Why worry if it does blow then the best place would be right on the edge. Would not want to be alive the next 10 year5s with the silicosis, The winter and ice age it would bring on, Be bet65ter to be right there and chere it on.

Lodging In The Parks: New Badlands Cabins A Major Upgrade

May 22nd - 18:17pm | Arletta

Was looking forward to staying in the Badlands until I checked the price. Won't be staying in the park!!

May 22nd - 18:06pm | J Pace

We stayed in one of the Cedar Pass cabins Sept. 2015, and we found them to be very nice. In fact, it was much nicer than the western cabins we had at Lake, Canyon, and Old Faithful in Yellowstone National Park-and the cost per night was less. I was really happy to have A/C, refrigerator, microwave and TV-none of which we had in Yellowstone.

May 22nd - 17:38pm | R Boone

I stayed in Cabin 124 In October 2015.  My stay was delightful.  The cabin was clean and very comfortable.   It was wonderful waking up inside the park with spectacular views all around me rather than waking up to highway veiws from a hotel in a nearby town.

May 22nd - 17:23pm | kenny p

I agree...was surprised how spendy they have become. We did stay there one night..floors were very sticky, coffee pot hadnt been cleaned and the table hadnt been wiped off. Dont know that we'll be staying there again. Cabins are cute but....

May 22nd - 14:41pm | Lee Dalton

I'm right with ya, Mega.  178 / 2 = 89 per person.  That's still a hefty chunk of change.  Yet on the other hand, it's hard to find a decent motel in most towns that are much lower.  That's why I love my little portable motel.  But it's becoming increasingly harder to find a place to park it unless it's a Walmart parking lot . . . . .

May 22nd - 14:04pm | Megaera

And now another national park has priced its lodging out of the reach of a lot of us.  I cannot begin to describe how frustrating that is.

National Park Service Supports Delisting Of Grizzly Bears...To A Point

May 22nd - 16:35pm | Lee Dalton

CaliforniaFarm Bureau? And how many other times have you decried the unreliablity of various government agencies on these very web pages? How much personal experience do you have working with cattle or sheep?  In Utah, the main source of polluants in streams such as the Bear River is --- ready for this --- animal waste from ranches.

May 22nd - 16:30pm | Rick B.

An d I'll simply take it that you know a good bit about bovine end product.

May 22nd - 15:58pm | ecbuck

Not by any stretch of the imagingation are they benefits in any but a very unusual circumstance. I will take the word of the BLM over your baseless rants.

May 22nd - 14:33pm | Lee Dalton

Ah, Esteemed Comrade, look at the contradictions in your post above.  It looks like Fernando spotted them. You repeatedly use the words "well managed grazing."  Show me a rancher who manages his rangelands well and I'll show you a very rare individual --- at least in the desert southwest. Several are simply bogus:

May 22nd - 11:24am | Fernando Pamenes

Are you serious, or this was a bad joke?

May 22nd - 09:12am | ecbuck

Yes - beneficial effects: Grazing offers a bounty of benefits Ranchers and researchers say there are a number of very important environmental benefits from responsible grazing of public and private lands. Those benefits include:

May 21st - 18:23pm | Dean Shamblen

Cattle should not be grazing in national forrest or BLM public lands.

May 21st - 18:12pm | Ida Bean

Why does NPS support delisting at all? It is not just about protecting bears that people pay to see. This should be about insuring the population is viable long term. Right now, the Yellowstone population is not connected to any other grizzly population. Further, the Yellowstone grizzlies have lost several key food sources in the last two decades - due to climate change and invasive species.

Program Takes Youths Into Backcountry Of Denali National Park

May 22nd - 16:28pm | Rick B.

Great to see this. The more kids we get to the parks, the better future for the kids and the parks.

Armchair Photography Guides

May 22nd - 15:49pm | Kurt Repanshek

Well, it's probably Rebecca. She has an "armchair guide" to Banff National Park coming out June 7. Later this week we'll have a somewhat similar guide to Yosemite Valley, by Jean Bjerke.

May 22nd - 15:44pm | Amarillobymorning

That sounds like the author's name. I know it was posted sometime before Sept. 30, 2015 because that was the date on the file where I saved some of the information. And I suspect it wasn't a whole lot earlier that it was published because I usually visit the NPT site at least weekly.

Fans of Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore Being Asked to Contribute Ideas to Lakeshore's Future

May 22nd - 08:24am | Anonymous

The reality is that people are already wearing minimal swimwear and thongs on these beaches, as well as going topless and nude on them.  My wife never wears anything but a thong bikini at Kemil Beach, and she usually lays out topless down by the water's edge.  No one has ever complained.

Traveler's View: The Promise Of The Next Century

May 21st - 13:00pm | Ray Bane

Curious.  How many recall the Vail Agenda?  It was formulated by a blue pannel of some of the most eminent conservationists and NPS representatives of their day.  It might be a good idea to inquire as to how the NPS implimented its recommendations and resulting improvements in the NPS.

Parking Just Got More Expensive at Mount Rushmore National Memorial

May 21st - 10:31am | Rex

Visited Mt Rushmore in 2014 and was informed very bluntly that my Senior Pass was not honored at this facility.  More I would have to pay cash!  I did not know it was for parking?  The cashier could have explained the Senior Pass did not cover parking!  It appeared to me if you wanted to visit the monument there was no other choice for parking and a review of the map it stil

Centennial Series | National Park System Expansion: Confronting A Second Century Challenge

May 21st - 09:01am | Michael Kellett

Most people assume that national monuments proclaimed by the president under the Antiquities Act are administered by the National Park Service. For many decades, this was generally true. It is not true for most monument lands designated in recent years.

May 20th - 11:48am | Kurt Repanshek

Pinnacles NP was already in the system, dating to 1908, and is just 26,606 acres. San Gabriel Mountains NM is Forest Service, Mojave Trails is BLM, as is Sand to Snow.Castle Mountains NM is NPS, but at just 21,000 acres, not sure it truly qualifies as "significant acreage" in terms of a national park. Valles Caldera is nearly five times as large.

Changing Times: Protecting Mount Rainier

May 20th - 18:46pm | MKM

Such an amazing video capturing the essence of our park yesterday to today. Thank you National Park Service for protecting our Mountain for future generations.  It is Paradise and we are humbled by its impact on our lives!

Sexual Harassment Chapter At Grand Canyon National Park Leads Superintendent To Retire

May 20th - 14:08pm | Worked for Dave

Disagree Rasin,

Photography In The National Parks: Year-Round Photography In Yellowstone National Park

May 20th - 13:36pm | Paul Stuetze

Beautiful images of rare wildlife encounters, enhanced by a narrative that shares and teaches. Yes, time, patience, proximity and luck are essential ingredients for success. Still, I believe the greater pieces of your approach are based upon research, preparation and a deep respect and compassion for the creatures and landscapes YOU SEEK OUT.

National Parks Traveler's Essential Park Guide