You are here

All Recent Comments

Op-Ed |National Park Service Undermines America's Best Idea

Mar 29th - 19:05pm | Alfred Runte

While we're on the subject of our elected representatives, think of this: Every U.S. Senator and Representative, on average, spends four hours per day on the phone raising money. Do I believe it? I do. Because when I ran for mayor of Seattle, I received the exact same advice. Al, if you don't spend every afternoon on the phone raising money, you might just as well not be in the race.

Mar 29th - 15:09pm | Kurt Repanshek

Gary, there are many folks who disagree with the views of others on the site, and who take their responses to the extreme. If people don't like EC's point of view, or that of others, then they shouldn't respond to those comments. It's as simple as that.

Mar 29th - 14:15pm | Mike Painter

"Yet they reelect their Senators more than 80% of the time and their Congressmen more than 90% of the time.  That kind of makes your 85% number "smelly"" That's because they think it's not their representatives who are corrupted, but rather others who are.

Mar 29th - 14:03pm | Gary Wilson

Kurt want an opinion on how to make this site better, get more active participants and have more of an active following... radiate that forum cancer that is ECBuck from your site.  These type of trolls drive away people from being active participants.

Mar 29th - 13:52pm | ecbuck

something like 85% of Americans agree that our government is corrupted by money,  Yet they reelect their Senators more than 80% of the time and their Congressmen more than 90% of the time.  That kind of makes your 85% number "smelly"

Mar 29th - 13:09pm | ecbuck

Don't always agree with you Kurt but do always appreciate your efforts on this site.

Mar 29th - 13:04pm | Rick B.

Thanks, Kurt for all you continue to do.

Mar 29th - 12:35pm | Kurt Repanshek

Dear Another Sad NPSer, and other anonymous readers, and even some who list their names:"Actual reporting" takes time and resources. I haven't yet figured out how to clone myself, and so most of my waking hours are taken up writing, editing, trying to sell ads (that's not going so well), and more.

Mar 29th - 11:54am | Another Sad NPSer

Kurt, How about some actual reporting to explain who made this decision and why? Opinion pieces can be good for raising awareness of an issue, but they're still just one person's opinion.

Mar 29th - 10:10am | Kurt Repanshek

Ok guys, if we're not going to plow any new ground, let's move on to something substantive.

Mar 29th - 10:00am | Lee Dalton

And I keep asking you to back your claims up and you polish up the teflon and dodge away.  But when something like 85% of Americans agree that our government is corrupted by money, something just doesn't smell right.  How about some proof that I'm wrong and you're right?

Mar 29th - 09:29am | wild places

I see the sky is falling .......again

Mar 29th - 08:20am | ecbuck

Oh Lee, won't you ever quit with the baseless accustions.  You keep making them, I keep asking you to back them up and then you disappear.

Mar 28th - 22:44pm | Lee Dalton

There is one key question that is not addressed anywhere here.  That question is how much of this is due to hidden backroom deals and political pressures from on high that dictate to the NPS? People who pack the power are very adept at hiding their tracks.

Mar 28th - 21:53pm | Ethical Retired...

Yes, Sad NPS'er.  For the Centennial of the National Park Service, we have a Director who wrote a book about NPS and American "Values" while bypassing mandatory approval from the Department's Ethics Office, then lied to the Secretary of Interior about whose idea it was to write the book.  His cronyism and coverups of Park Superintendent wrongdoing are legendary.

Mar 28th - 20:15pm | Sad NPS'er

Nudy, you have no idea how awful this is for the NPS. Maybe you do know what employees are going through under Director Jarvis' "leadership". For being a career NPS'er he sure hasn't done this agency any good. The Employee Viewpoint Survey keeps getting worse and worse. Does the Director care?  Absolutely not.

Mar 28th - 19:02pm | Gary Wilson

Somsai, those 17 elk were killed on a feedlot, which is the equivalent of raising domesticated animals that lose their natural ability to be alert and avoid being prey.  This is exactly how some want to treat our National Parks too.  Like feedlots and game farms.

Backpacking At Mount Rainier National Park To Be First-Come, First-Served

Mar 29th - 18:56pm | tahoma

It looks to me as though the NPS management double-standard is alive and well.  For years the Rainier guiding concessions had winter access to Paradise while the public was excluded.  Somehow their reservations for the coming summer climbing season survived the computer crash, but private reservation requests were cancelled.

Grand Canyon National Park Searching For Ways To Replace River District Operation

Mar 29th - 14:31pm | Lori Crystal

Superintendent David Uberuaga, How about firing the guys who sexually harassed female employees rather than reassigning them? How about taking away the pensions from the male employees who sexually harassed female employees for years? The women who have been sexually harassed went through hell. Their self-esteem was damaged and their career tarnished.

Photography In The National Parks: Winter’s Desolation In Big Bend National Park

Mar 29th - 12:21pm | Chip B

I've spent many, many days at BBNP - in all seasons.  I've been in snow in the Chisos, 110 degree temps in the desert and 'bout everything in between.  One morning I woke to 20 degrees and then suffered 90 degrees plus that afternoon!  I love it there!

Groups Sue National Park Service To Prevent Hunting Inside Grand Teton National Park

Mar 29th - 11:39am | ecbuck

that also requires ignoring the fact that the Constitution provided for a court system to interpret the document for us.

Mar 29th - 10:16am | Gary Wilson

I give up on EC.. He's not worth my time.  The rules that the NPS has followed in regards to hunting in national parks were established well before I was born, so at this point, i'm glad the NPCA is taking charge in filing a lawsuit to make the GTNP follow the same rules as other National Parks in the system.  They will win this one, I feel.

Mar 29th - 10:13am | Lee Dalton

It appears that all these arguments have long ago been settled by laws enacted by Congress as they "make all Laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into Execution the foregoing Powers, and all other Powers vested by this Constitution in the Government of the United States, or in any Department or Officer thereof" as they "regulate Commerce with foreign Nations, and among the seve

Mar 29th - 10:10am | Kurt Repanshek

Mar 29th - 09:57am | ecbuck

To make Rules for the Government and Regulation of the land and naval Forces;" As in "land forces" and "naval Forces".  Now we really see who has a reading comprehension problem.

Mar 29th - 09:09am | ecbuck

Article 1 Section 1. read "All legislative Powers herein granted shall be vested in a Congress of the United States, which shall consist of a Senate and House of Representatives." That section doesn't grant any legislative power.  All it does is indicate what power is granted will be vested in Congress.  If the power isn't granted its not vested.

Mar 29th - 08:54am | Gary Wilson

Article 1, Section 1.  I realize it's not written in dr seuss prose, so I can understand why you have a hard time comprehending that the constitution grants congress the power to create legislation like the ESA.

Mar 29th - 08:24am | ecbuck

You mean in the constitution where congress was given the rights to make such laws protecting wildlife within the border of the US. Gee Gary, tell me what Article and section you find that designated power.  Once again heavy on the name calling and insults but very light with the facts.

Mar 29th - 06:13am | Gary Wilson

You mean in the constitution where congress was given the rights to make such laws protecting wildlife within the border of the US.  My gosh, this guy sounds like Ammon Bundy.  "It's not directly in the constitutions".  It's almost like the constitution has to be written like a Dr.

Mar 28th - 22:03pm | ecbuck

Go out and shoot an eagle and see what goverment takes your head off. Good point Alfred.  Please point to the provision in the Constitution that gives the Government that power. But more importantly, does the government allow you to shoot an eagle on public property but not on certain private property? No.

Mar 28th - 21:43pm | rmackie

Alfred, I am listening to the "old professor", nice posts, thanks.

Mar 28th - 20:45pm | Rick B.

Guys. He's TEFLON. Nothing sticks. He has the same rejoinders, the same chinese-finger-trap conversations, for years, and he's getting a lot of us all stirred up. Before i retired I could have pointed at the page in DSM but I plan on staying retired.

Mar 28th - 20:37pm | Alfred Runte

EC, you're a gem (I will not say shrimp). Yes, wildlife generally falls under state law, but there are federal laws, as well. Tell you what. Go out and shoot an eagle and see what government takes your head off. Then there is the Migratory Bird Treaty Act. Certainly you have heard of that. And the Endangered Species Act, but yes, President Obama ignores that, too.

Mar 28th - 19:57pm | ecbuck

I can't help you interpret the national park service organic act,

Mar 28th - 19:24pm | Gary Wilson

Once again, you have the reading comprehension of a shrimp. I can't help you interpret the national park service organic act, 16 U.S.C.1.  It's evident the school systems you attended failed you, so I can't help you further along.  I'm just spinning my wheels here and this is now hit a level of pointlessness.

Mar 28th - 19:18pm | ecbuck

The mission is clear on that.  Killing the largest, biggest animals for trophy hunting defeats the mission of a sanctuary.  And I suppose the missionary statement to that effect is in the same place as the laws and Constitional powers that give NPS jurisdiction over private land. - i.e. nowhere.

Mar 28th - 19:11pm | Gary Wilson

Of course you don't because you've never invested any time, effort or thought into what it means.  You have no skin in the game other than your misguided self trolling a national park site for years on end.  You're a realtor with little comprehension of what a National Park is about.

Mar 28th - 18:56pm | ecbuck

It is protecting the NPS mission, something I firmly trust in. And I see nothing necesarily in conflict between hunting and the NPS mission.  If there is a conflict in a certain situation, it should be banned.  If their is no conflict, it shouldn't.

Mar 28th - 18:52pm | ecbuck

The government can tell you what to do with wildlife, because wildlife has always been identified as "mobile."  Yes - the state government can tell you.  The federal government has no jurisdiction. You keep saying:  Show me where hunting is detrimental to the national parks.

Mar 28th - 18:51pm | Gary Wilson

I gave you that answer many miles back.  You have a terrible reading comprehension problems, so of course, I don't expect you to comprehend most of what is said on this site when people respond to your useless, but always annoying trolling. And that has nothing to do with emotions.  It is protecting the NPS mission, something I firmly trust in.

Mar 28th - 18:39pm | Alfred Runte

Listen, guys, to the Old Professor. You just can't make this up as you go along. Private property or government property, wildlife is governed by laws that go back hundreds of years. If a deer is sitting in my front yard, I just don't have the right to shoot it. I can if the deer is in season, but again, not without the proper permit. You bet, EC.

Mar 28th - 18:35pm | ecbuck

The NPS should be held at a higher standard of not allowing resource extraction in their park boundaries.   So you finally have (kind of) given an answer.  There is no valid reason other than your personal emotions.

Mar 28th - 18:28pm | Gary Wilson

Once again, you seem to think that National Parks < State lands.  Not the case.  National Parks are and shall be our highest level of land protection within the entire public lands system.   This act is a inroad to eroding the system.

Mar 28th - 17:37pm | ecbuck

Still can't (won't) answer the question.  I don't need to write a disertation to ask it.  There are culling kills that take place all over the country supported by "scientific" analysis that has determined they are beneficial to their environments.  Clearly not every elk, deer, python...... kill is a detriment.

Mar 28th - 17:22pm | ecbuck

"the federal government and the state government had agreed that federal law applied to prohibit killing wildlife  Here is the enabling legislation.  Not a peep about the feds controlling hunting on state or public land.

Mar 28th - 17:13pm | Gary Wilson

Really, a higher level?  The guy that can't write more than 2 sentances in a comment to express his thoughts.  Please.  When something is removed from a system, it does have consequences.  Define "negative impact" in this case, please?

Mar 28th - 16:53pm | ecbuck

In many cases, the NPS has told inholders they can live on their lands for X number of years, and then the property goes over to federal ownership.

Appeals Court Rejects Bid To End Backcountry Fees At Great Smoky Mountains National Park

Mar 28th - 18:34pm | Gary Wilson

So if this is a "kings court" would that make SFW a mere court jester?  Seems like a logical conclusion.

Mar 28th - 18:17pm | redstate guy

Ever heard of the Roman Empire?

Senators Request More Money For National Park Service To Work On Reducing Maintenance Backlog

Mar 28th - 17:49pm | May Lattanzio

Then save some money and stop the YNP bison herd culling.  That is brutal, and the only case of brucellosis was found to have jumped to another petri dish in a lab.  The brucellosis scare is a myth.  I suggest that the Senate also stop the wild horse and burro roundups at the BLM and DOI, USFS, etc.

National Parks Traveler's Essential Park Guide