You are here

All Recent Comments

Heaven or Hell? Election Results Could Severely Affect Our National Parks

Nov 4th - 13:48pm | Gary Wilson

That's fine.  At the end of the day, I choose to not live with my head buried in the sand.  Obviously, reality can be confusing to some.  I saw the signs when I lived in Sun Valley, and I see it now in the Southeast - global warming is occuring and the changes are evident.  Whether it's a once great river that is nothing more than a trickle during peak flow periods thanks to

Nov 4th - 13:14pm | ecbuck

When you are making up the numbers and adjusting them to suit your theory, the last thing you are is "accurate".

Nov 4th - 13:02pm | Kurt Repanshek

Just a reminder, folks, from the Traveler's Code of Conduct:

Nov 4th - 12:59pm | Gary Wilson

I definitely don't take the word of some two-bit propagandist that pretends he's also a realtor.

Nov 4th - 12:56pm | ecbuck

Well that cave is pretty crowded with the likes of The Economist, the IPCC and many others. http://www.economist.com/news/science-and-technology/21598610-slowdown-r...

Nov 4th - 12:49pm | [email protected]

WE can bet that little if any Federal Taxes Trump has ever paid have supported Federal Public Lands. and Agencies. What is Trump Hiding by not revealing current Tax Forms ? ...and Oh, FBI,  POLITICAL CULTURE, political as ever as though J.  Edgar Hoover were reincarnated.

Nov 4th - 12:37pm | Gary Wilson

Yeah, it's all just a theory with "no accountable data"...  https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/global/201513 Where's this "Warming pause", EC?  Maybe if you live in a subsurface cave, where you bury your head.

Nov 4th - 12:20pm | ecbuck

so you see he is clueless and dangerous. No, I would say he understands the scientific method.  Have a theory, test it, if you don't get the results you expect the theory is wrong.  AGW theory has been horribly wrong with its predictions and you can't explain why.

Nov 4th - 12:05pm | Lee Dalton

I really don't think it's simplistic to say that we all need to go back to Kindergarten.   Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could all remember and actually take to heart the wonderful lesson laid out by Robert Fulgham: http://www.kalimunro.com/learned_in_kindergarten.html

Nov 4th - 11:55am | argalite

Again, I have to differ from Alfred, as we know Clinton's husband was pretty good to the Dept. of the Interior, why would we expect anything different with her?  Most notably because I work for Interior, I have observed in my 20 years that republicans are never as generous in land acquisition as democrats.

Nov 4th - 11:30am | Alfred Runte

How do you become worth $200 million serving the public trust? I know how Mr. Trump made his money, but how did Secretary Clinton make hers? That is what the nation should be asking.

Nov 4th - 11:25am | ecbuck

Kurt, I don't subscribe to the Times so can't read your links.  Would be interested in  your actual accusations.  You mention taxes.  What exactly is the tax issue?  He has been audited virtually every year and I have yet to see any charge of tax evasion.

Nov 4th - 11:21am | Kurt Repanshek

EC, you should be able to read a few Times stories before the gate goes down.That said, the bit about inciting a riot has to do with Trump telling folks at his rallies that perhaps folks in support of the 2nd Amendment could stop Clinton, encouraging folks to "Lock her up!," etc.

Nov 4th - 11:20am | Rick B.

I think this election will be long remembered as the first ever where the KKK, the KGB, and the FBI all supported the same candidate.

Nov 4th - 11:10am | concerned citizen

The NY Times is not a bastion of factual reporting.  Sadly, this paper is part of the State Run Media that turns a blind eye to fraud, criminal behavior, and violations of laws concerning our America's National Security.

Nov 4th - 11:04am | Lee Dalton

Exactly, Kurt.  I've repeatedly tried to get across the idea that I'm nauseated by both candidates.  But the bottom line is this:  Which of them is the least dangerous when the choice lies only between a run of the mill lying career politician and a psychopath?

Nov 4th - 10:53am | concerned citizen

"The current Republican presidential candidate reveals a deplorably similar lack of awareness about Black lives and seems to get his ideas about his countrymen and women from sitcoms/reality TV. How would those two stack up at this table, I wondered? How does the calculated trumpeting of derogatory falsehoods about non-white Americans distort our perception of each other?"

Nov 4th - 10:50am | Kurt Repanshek

EC et al, I think we'd all agree that this year's choice is perhaps the worst in modern history. That said, EC, Trump's ongoing behavior, personal and in the business world, is right up there with the Clintons':

Nov 4th - 10:32am | ecbuck

Nov 4th - 10:31am | wild places

Other than the usual rhetoric I see little evidence that one party actually cares more about the parks than another. Certainly the democrats have done a far better job to market themselves as the only ones who care about the environment and have managed to tie this to the parks as well. I don't think the reality bears this out.

Nov 4th - 09:52am | Lee Dalton

"There are none so blind as those that are unwilling to see. " Or listen. But somehow playing recordings of a person's crude and outlandish comments  and claiming he actually said them is unfair.  Got it.

Nov 4th - 08:55am | ecbuck

I'm being played?  Have your read the wiki leaks emails? They confirm many of the Clinton Cash allegations. It would appear the Weiner PC has emails that do as well since the investigation has been revived upon its discovery.   There are none so blind as those that are unwilling to see.

Nov 4th - 00:04am | Rick B.

Right, Eric. So you say.   There is a handful of known FBI agents in the NY office who attempted to start an investigaation of Secretary Clinton based on the book 'Clinton Cash', a Breitbart propaganda piece. You're being played.

Nov 3rd - 23:19pm | trailadvocate

Concderned:

Nov 3rd - 22:44pm | ecbuck

Rick, even the Huffpo has turned on her. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/casar-vargas/why-i-can-no-longer-suppo_1_b... This isn't Brietbart it is the FBI But you are blinded by your ideology.

Nov 3rd - 22:03pm | Lee Dalton

" It is amazing the ethics, morals, integrity people will sacrifice for their cause and the blind eye some will turn to it because it is their cause as well." I agree. Those words describe his supporters to a T. I'm thoroughly nauseated by the prospect of whichever of them may be in office.

Nov 3rd - 21:43pm | Rick B.

Yes, yes, sure. But I don't have the Breitbart-scripted alt-right blinders on, Eric. Whatever you say, sure.   I do have to agree with your last sentence, of course. Hope those tight shoes don't pinch ya too tight.

Nov 3rd - 21:41pm | ecbuck

National instability with Trump?  Have you been paying attention for the last week - much less they last 30 years?  Hilary is about to get indicted.  You think that will create stability?  It is amazing the ethics, morals, integrity people will sacrifice for their cause and the blind eye some will turn to it because it is their cause as well.

Nov 3rd - 20:14pm | rmackie

Nice post Traveler, thank you.

Nov 3rd - 20:07pm | Rick B.

I know of zero NPS employees eager for the national instability inevitable in a Trump presidency.

Nov 3rd - 19:26pm | Concerned Taxpayer

How does the protection of our National Parks/Forests become a racial issue?  Ridiculous!

Nov 3rd - 13:27pm | trailadvocate

How would the dramatic difference in approaches to immigration affect the Parks and Country long term?  More pressure, less pressure on resources and scarce dollars dollars available for the Parks?  Anyone want to venture a guess?

Nov 3rd - 10:34am | RickyAZ

Maybe someone could offer a little balance here:  Couldn't one read the candidates in a different way? One would stuff the Boards and Departments with cronies and favor-seekers, competence be damned.  The other would build monuments and take care of public infrastructure by cutting through red tape (Wollman Rink ring a bell).

Cycling at Haleakala National Park Given "High Risk" Rating

Nov 4th - 10:51am | Janet Forde

My husband and I went back to Maui to celebrate our 10 year wedding anniversary last year (we got married on Maui) and the first full day of our long planned vacation we did the bike ride through a tour company with safe bikes and helmets. I am fit and have ridden a bike for years without ever getting hurt. My husband is an avid bikest.

Musings From Crater Lake National Park

Nov 4th - 08:48am | ecbuck

I've been there.  Don't recall the drive being particularly hairy. Worst part was probably the narrow roads to the park with bikers flying downhill.

Nov 4th - 08:03am | Kurt Repanshek

Steve, you reminded me of another road: Has anyone driven the one to the summit at Haleakala National Park?

Nov 3rd - 20:11pm | Rick B.

The last time I was out there I had white knuckles for a good section of the road from Lake Crescent out to Neah Bay. Narrow, no room off the road inland and a drop-off to the Puget Sound on the other side. And yes, folks trying to take their half of a two lane road out of the middle.

Nov 3rd - 19:58pm | Steve Nelson

I thought I had a fellow white-knucker from Wawona! I am surprised no one seems to know about Capulin NM.  No guardrail, and straight down the side of a dormant volcano if you mess up.

Nov 3rd - 08:49am | Gary Wilson

My memory must have slipped...  Also, it's Tioga Pass road (highway 120), not Wawona that I was referring to.

Nov 3rd - 08:24am | Kurt Repanshek

No guard rails on Trail Ridge Road, Gary.http://www.nationalparkstraveler.com/2013/07/rocky-mountain-national-par...

Nov 3rd - 08:07am | Gary Wilson

I'd say Wawona road takes the cake as the craziest main road leading out of a park.  Going up into the park on that road isn't bad, it's when you are driving it the otherway.

Nov 2nd - 23:12pm | Lee Dalton

It really wasn't so much the road that causes white knuckles.  It's those folks who take their half out of the middle.  That and humongous RVs on a road never intended for them. It's not the wildest I've ever driven by a long shot, but it's one that needs a driver's full attention.

Nov 2nd - 22:15pm | justinh

Another great piece, Lee. I'm with Kurt--Trail Ridge Rd at RMNP; never want to drive that one again. Hiking Wizard Island is indeed a lot of fun.  My girlfriend (now wife) actually got in the lake for a (very short) swim.  Pretty brave.

High-Flow Release Coming To Grand Canyon National Park

Nov 3rd - 17:03pm | Lee Dalton

The water will be captured by Lake Mead and other lakes downstream.  It probably won't even be enough to raise Lake Mead's water level at all but it will help the health of the Grand Canyon's Inner Gorge.

Nov 3rd - 15:21pm | Allen

is this such a great idea since California and most of the southwest is in the middle of the worst drought in 100 years?

Nov 3rd - 00:21am | Steve Hindman

Will there be a live cam of the release? That would cool to see.

Report From Zion Visitor Use Management Plan Public Meeting

Nov 3rd - 14:08pm | John T Schuldt

Dear Ms Moench, Please pass on to all your collegues at Office of Tourism my sincere thanks for the work they do. I just returned to Washington State from a one month camping trip to the National Parks and Monuments in Utah plus Dead Horse Point State Park. I felt very welcomed and appreciated all the information available to help me on the trip.

Nov 3rd - 11:14am | Lee Dalton

Here's another example of impacts of parks' and other public lands' impacts on surrounding communities.  http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865666263/Moab-plant-presses-pause-on...

A Wild And Wet Weekend At Dry Tortugas National Park

Nov 3rd - 08:07am | Elaine Lee

This article made the Dry Tortugas sound very good.  Will try and make it there some day.

Morel Mushrooms Pop Up, Cluster Together After Yosemite National Park Wildfires

Nov 3rd - 02:33am | Carol Reed

Finding morels in the forest even though it follows a fire is a wonderful way to experience growth and the beauty of the area. I agree that an increased harvest would not hurt the forest. It is like an easter egg hunt. Roast the morels over a camp fire with Balsamic and olive oil and you will become addicted!

National Parks Traveler's Essential Park Guide