You are here

All Recent Comments

Pine Beetle Strategy In Banff National Park Can Do More Harm Than Good, Research Shows

Dec 13th - 18:30pm | ecbuck

David, I can look out my window and see that is not the case.

Dec 13th - 18:19pm | Frank Waters

First visit to National Parks Traveler, first comment, and probably the last, since this thread is so appalling. NPT, you're likely enabling the demise of the site by a thousand cuts administered by one determined thread hijacker.

Dec 13th - 16:53pm | David Crowl

I would also use this quote from the same article; Similar to mountain pine beetle, the increase in spruce beetle activity is due to factors that increase tree stress, including densely stocked stands, ongoing drought conditions and warmer winters.

Dec 13th - 16:39pm | Rick B.

Settle down, David. You're arguing with the World's Foremost Authority.

Dec 13th - 16:19pm | David Crowl

I would refer you to this article that states "that most mature trees lodgepoll pines have been depleated in the epidemic area"; http://www.summitdaily.com/news/summit-county-sees-decline-in-pine-beetl...

Dec 13th - 16:01pm | ecbuck

We still have plenty of trees left (BTW, contrary to the predictions that were made). Yes, there are many, many other factors in play.  Temperature would seem to be amongst the least of them.

Dec 13th - 15:36pm | Kurt Repanshek

Beetles leaving could be the cause of them devouring all the trees they had an interest in. There are quite a few factors at play -- temperature, winter freezes, age and diameter of trees, collaborating diseases such as white pine blister rust -- that lead to infestations.

Dec 13th - 15:34pm | David Crowl

The elevation would only be important at its point where the conditions are not right to sustain the life cycle of the beetle. I know with some pine trees we have problems with here in Nebraska, they mainly only take trees that are 20 years old. So young trees are fine until the tree reaches about 20 and then they are taken quickly.

Dec 13th - 15:21pm | ecbuck

I'm not talking about different latitudes.  One example was Yosemite Park where Sugar Maples withint 5-10 miles of each other are being attacked at the same time despite 4,000 of elevation difference.  The second as here in Summit County where we see the same phenomenon.  And Yosemie is substantially warmer than Summit County but is being attacked years after Summit County.

Dec 13th - 14:40pm | David Crowl

I am no scientist, but attacks at different elevation would always happen. The but the higher elevation would only happen if it is warm enough for the insect to survive and procreate. Also it is important to note that elevation is relative to how far north or south you are. For example...the elevation for tree line is different in Rocky Mountain N.P.

Dec 13th - 12:02pm | ecbuck

Yep multiple studies, multiple different conclusions.  But the science is settled.  Riiiight.  Just shows if you want to reach a conclusion looking backward you can always build a model to get there.  Its the model looking forward that counts.  And so far, those predictions have been horribly worng.

Dec 13th - 10:38am | Kurt Repanshek

EC, and you don't think it's possible that using a new analysis could produce a different outcome? Obviously, as the bulk of their report states, they have reached a different conclusion.

Dec 13th - 10:32am | ecbuck

Kurt, they cited a 2001 study that said there was no apparent impact from climate change.  They then applied their model to the same time frame that the 2001 study covered.

Dec 13th - 09:26am | Kurt Repanshek

EC, if you could point out where in their study they say it happened in the past that'd be helpful. What I see is the authors stating that, "During the latter half of the last century, there has been a substantial shift in climatically benign habitats for mountain pine beetle northward, and toward higher elevations."More so:

Dec 13th - 08:35am | ecbuck

in the past  In the past, yet their "model" says it did happen in the past.  The events didn't change, just the study.  And this still doesn't address the question regarding differing elevations being attacked at the same time.

Dec 13th - 08:25am | ecbuck

If I'm wrong, we lose nothing. Thats were you are wrong. Following the path of AGW hysteria will cause us to lose much.

Dec 13th - 07:58am | Kurt Repanshek

EC, I believe you misinterpreted that language in the introduction of the paper. My take is that the authors were making the statement that in the past there had been no connection between climate change and its effect on pine beetles, and that their studies now make the connection.Midway through the paper they write:

Dec 12th - 22:48pm | Lee Dalton

Someday, we humans will learn it's really true -- It's not nice to fool Mother Nature.

Dec 12th - 22:45pm | Rick B.

I'm sure you think you're right. My only question is how many years down the road before you realize what an apology you owe your grandchildren. For now, I'm sure you think you're right.   If I'm wrong, we lose nothing. If you're wrong, we lose everything.

Dec 12th - 21:40pm | ecbuck

Rick, just another example of the AGW predictions being wrong.  How long are you going to hold on to this failing theory.

Dec 12th - 21:16pm | Rick B.

Stubborn, like a dog worrying an old bone.

Dec 12th - 18:43pm | ecbuck

Interesting, from the introduction:  However, for North America, despite the development of several models predicting climate change impacts (e.g., Logan and Powell 2001), there is little empirical evidence that global warming has affected insect populations

Dec 12th - 16:22pm | Barry Cooke

1. There are attracting pheromones and repelling pheromones. They are indeed very different. http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/docs/v-g/dpp-mpb/sec2/dpp-mpb2b.aspx

Fee Increases Coming To More National Parks

Dec 13th - 18:03pm | Terry Cover

Sounds fair.....now lets raise the fees for businesses extracting resourses from Federal lands (oil, gas, timber, minerals, grazing, water, etc.) to realistic market price levels.

Will Congress Pass A Centennial Bill For The National Park Service?

Dec 13th - 17:04pm | Lew Veal

Will current Senior Passes be grandfathered (remain valid for lifetime) if the new $80 rate goes into effect?

UPDATED: Congress Trying To Pass National Park Service Centennial Act

Dec 13th - 15:52pm | glacier91

On the contrary Lee Dalton, I think Huffy understands the situation very well. Huffy worked in the national parks with the National Park Service for 31 years and saw first hand how things operate.

Dec 13th - 13:40pm | Alfred Runte

Note what Huffy said--"Law Enforcement, Fire Suppression, Search and Rescue, clean toilets, these all take people doing a job." Uh, huh. And not one of those jobs said PRESERVATION.

Dec 13th - 12:49pm | Lee Dalton

Excellent comment, Huffy.  Now stand by to be lambasted because you admitted you are retired NPS so you have axes to grind and don't really understand the "real" picture -- whatever that happens to be at the moment.

Dec 13th - 11:10am | FlyHuffy

Having retired National Park Service after 31 years I have mixed feelings. Public lands are for everyone, not just the abled body, maintaing access for ALL is what the National Park Service strives for.

Endangered Minnow Thriving At Tumacacori National Historical Park

Dec 13th - 13:18pm | justinh

Very good news.  Glad to see stories like this one.

Rocky Mountain National Park's Trail Ridge Road, Not A Good Place For Vertigo

Dec 13th - 11:40am | Clay

Why should others sacrifice for you if you can't do it don't the one who has their own bad experience should not change the experience for others

Oregon Man Just Wanted To "Dip His Toe" In A Yellowstone Hot Spring

Dec 13th - 10:21am | tmartin775

I read the report. And like the person above me stated, it was heavily redacted. And I agree, while the details may be extremely gruesome...I feel if more people were to know and fully understand the danger thermal features pose, it'll steer them clear from wandering off the path.

Senate Passes National Park Service Centennial Act Before Adjourning

Dec 13th - 09:55am | Brian S

William Guy has a point worth further investigation; is the new administration going to turn over the management of public lands to the highest paying private vendors to operate as they see fit and ignore the validity of the lifetime senior pass to enter "their" national park?

Dec 12th - 23:18pm | rmackie

While I am inclined to agree with Bryan and RickB, I think mixing privately owned resorts and public lands is apples and oranges. I am happy to pay a little more to support our parks, but they are public lands and should be affordable to all, not private sector entities that can charge what the market will bear.

Dec 12th - 21:12pm | Rick B.

I have to agree on the Senior Pass Bryan. I'm a senior citizen, closer to 70 than 60, and on a small fixed income. Regardless, the pass is worth it.

Dec 12th - 20:37pm | LORIN

I'm laughing so hard I'm crying!

Dec 12th - 17:13pm | Bryan

While I am sorry to see the Senior Pass cost increase, it is a small pittance in what value it provides to the bearer.

PEER, National Park Foundation At Odds Over Foundation's Spending Habits

Dec 13th - 09:44am | Melvin Janney

If "The Foundation" has nothing to hide, it is time to bring it under IRS regulation, requiring completion of Form 990. I suspect that it is another example of a money pot for top executives like many of the begging organizations.

Birding In The National Parks: Chasing Birds At Joulter Cays National Park

Dec 13th - 09:34am | Kurt Repanshek

Google the park name and filter the search for "images." There are quite a few shots.

Dec 13th - 09:19am | Ananymouse

Is there a site containing any images of this proposed park?

Photography In The National Parks: The Great Rewards Of Lowered Expectations

Dec 13th - 08:54am | watcheronthewall

The second bird picture is of a Cactus Wren.  The biggest of the Wrens.

National Park Foundation, Grand Teton National Park Foundation Acquire Private Inholding

Dec 12th - 23:59pm | Josh and Jen

My wife and I helped donate to this effort to buy out the Antelope Flats. Well done. Well done. Next up is the Kelly Parcel in Grand Teton Park.

Dec 12th - 22:46pm | Lee Dalton

It's nice to see a little good news about our parks once in awhile.

Updated: Man Missing In Rocky Mountain National Park's Snowy Backcountry Found

Dec 12th - 15:40pm | Dale Lund

Thank God our son Andy was found.  I'm sorry if it cost you money.

Traveler's View: Passage Of Centennial Act A Good Start, And Hopefully Just The Beginning

Dec 12th - 15:09pm | ecbuck

Zan, right concept by wrong math. The supposed backlog is $12 billion, not $12 million.  But you are on the right track.

Dec 12th - 14:41pm | Zan Zhin

Interesting that of the programs you listed that cost millions of taxpayer dollars, the one expenditure over the last 8 years you failed to mention -- and that did absolutely ZERO good for the taxpayers -- was President Obama's $70+ Million in Christmas vacations to Hawaii. That expense would have easily paid for the National Parks maintenance backlog 6 times over.

Dec 12th - 12:07pm | Lee Dalton

No, it merely hopes to maintain the illusion it is doing something, and this move--thanks to our national forgetfulness--happened to be the easiest way out. And because of our national forgetfulness and desire to be constantly entertained, we keep reelecting the problems again and again.  (With maybe a little help from the Kremlin.) Ain't it fun?

Dec 12th - 11:09am | Alfred Runte

Question: If a landscape is maintained in its "natural" condition, why does it cost anything to maintain?

Lifetime "Senior" and "Access" Park Passes Now Available By Mail

Dec 12th - 14:46pm | Christine Carlson

I have my lifetime senior pass but have lost the hangtag.  Where can I get another.  I live in Florida nd there is no place anywhere near here. could one be mailedt to me?

Essential Park Guide, Winter 2016: So Many Options In The Parks

Dec 12th - 11:38am | Holly Simonette

Winter is a great time to visit Casa Grande Ruins National Monument in Coolidge, AZ (an hour southeast of Phoenix). It was the first archaelogical reserve in the U.S. (1892) and has been a national monument since 1918. The monument preserves remains of an ancient Hohokam-era farming village as well as the enigmatic Great House, which was completed in 1350.

National Parks Traveler's Essential Park Guide