You are here

All Recent Comments

Are National Parks An Appropriate Backdrop For Sports Illustrated's Swimsuit Issue?

Aug 8th - 16:09pm | Cornell

Hubba, hubba :-J   Seriously though, I fail to see how NPS could bar this unless it bars any and all commercial photographers. This appears to be an all or nothing thing. I can see NPS losing in federal court if it were to pick and choose.

Aug 8th - 15:40pm | Gary Wilson

It is unrelated.  Very much so.  Only people with a political agenda, or those that are trying to oversensationalize unrelated events to drum up site hits are trying to tie them together.

Aug 8th - 15:18pm | Kurt Repanshek

Gary, if you think it's entirely unrelated, I suggest you Google causes of sexual harassment.Here are some other stories for your edification:http://national.deseretnews.com/article/17494/see-why-some-are-calling-s...

Aug 8th - 14:56pm | Gary Wilson

As I stated, are you just trying to oversensationalize an issue?  For what purpose?  For site hits?  What purpose does it serve to oversensationalize this and tie it to something completely unrelated?  Do you think the people that approved these shoots, also were tied into the Grand Canyon incident?  Really, how so?  Sorry if i'm not following the horde on this one

Aug 8th - 14:49pm | argalite

Alfred Runte:  People don't bring up climate change to those who understand.  Here is another thing you don't understand Direct Mortality of Birds from Anthropogenic Causes Scott R. Loss,1 Tom Will,2 and Peter P. Marra3

Aug 8th - 14:38pm | Gary Wilson

It seems like you are trying to oversensationalize this by tying the sports illustrated photo shoot to the Grand Canyon incident.  These are not anywhere related, and it is a BIG STRETCH to tie them together!  If seeing a woman in a bikini in front of old faithful is going to turn a person into a rampaging degenerate, then that person has mental issues and I doubt the photo would be a

Aug 8th - 14:34pm | Kurt Repanshek

It's "Kurt," Gary, not Kirk;-)You largely skirted the entire "values" discussion and how the SI shoot stands up to NPS/park values.

Aug 8th - 14:32pm | Alfred Runte

Very well said, Kurt, and thank you for not bringing up climate change. I notice that when anyone seems to be losing an argument these days, they bring up climate change as a rebuttal.

Aug 8th - 14:15pm | Ethical Retired...

The 2003 laxative commercial Kurt mentions was rightfully criticized then, as it would be now.  NPS employees have worked hard to educate visitors not to throw coins and others objects into geysers, which can interfere with their internal plumbing systems, and this commercial was at cross-purposes with Park values.

Aug 8th - 13:55pm | trailadvocate

Believe everyone believes in "Climate Change."  It's the contrived and outright manipulated models directing the conclusion that it's all because of man bringing political agendas into the Science/Career activism realm, that's deceptive.  Reasonable people consider that many people don't have the best intentions or reject independent thought because of group think.

Aug 8th - 13:29pm | Kurt Repanshek

No doubt, some folks are offended by the SI photos, and some aren't. At a time when the NPS is grappling with how to root out sexual harassment in the workforce, the question of the propriety of these photos, and their approval, is pertinent.Would any NPS employee be fired or reprimanded for using some of the photos as wallpaper on their computer?

Aug 8th - 12:31pm | argalite

Al Runte says Trump might make a good environmental president? Does not "believe" in science (climate change) Seleted an energy advisor that does not "believe" in science (climate change) Yes, that should be good

Aug 8th - 12:27pm | argalite

Busineses pay for comercials in parks.  Which is sicker, showing people, or showing the instrument that enables climate change (cars with internal combustion engines)?

Aug 8th - 12:27pm | trailadvocate

You (Tahoma) sure about that?  With Hilliarly's husband as Director of Artisitic Expression in our Parks, the White House and across the country, one can only imagine.  Probably would be just limitied to outdoor slumber parties leaving the Secret Service at the gate:).

Aug 8th - 12:26pm | Gary Wilson

Can one get arrested for wearing a bikini in a National Park?  No.  So, the permit is pretty straight forward in my opinion.  If this same woman in the photo was seen firing an arrow into a grizzly bear, or using an axe to cut down a redwood tree, or whacking a salamander with a stick, then that would be harmful to the park resources and that would be a violation of the commercia

Aug 8th - 12:00pm | Alfred Runte

Good points, Gary, and Illex, and yes, the national parks have always been used as "backdrops." And always will be. What's the difference here? The elevation of a "backdrop" into a sales pitch. Does it matter what the "product" is?

Aug 8th - 11:37am | Gary Wilson

Ahh boy, I'm so offended.

Aug 8th - 11:24am | Alfred Runte

I would call it "hopeful" speculation, RodF. So far, the three men (dare I say men?) New York State has sent to the White House have been splendid conservationists. The distinguished historian Samuel P. Hays, observing that "fact" years ago, linked it to New York State's environment.

Aug 8th - 11:15am | Ilex_Opaca

Call me crazy, but I don't see the big deal. This thing has been going on the entire 13 years I worked for the parks. I've seen lingere shoots, bathing suits, other fashion shoots, music videos with scantly clad women, etc. Is it only causing a stir now because it's a big name magazine and it's the Centennial year?

Aug 8th - 06:59am | SmokiesBackpacker

More embarrassment for the NPS on their 100th anniversary.  Jarvis is providing us with more prostitutional fodder.  Beer and bathing suits.  Muir and Mather.  Rich heritage.

Aug 8th - 02:36am | RodF

Mr. Runte, "facts"?!  Or sheer speculation?  Please point us to a clear policy statement by Mr. Trump on National Parks, public lands, conservation or natural resource issues.  I am unable to find one.

Aug 8th - 01:10am | Rick B.

Understood, Lee, but I don't think they should take pictures for "Killing Endangered Species Monthly" in the parks either.

Aug 7th - 23:03pm | Lee Dalton

That would be nice, Rick, but consider this: http://www.eenews.net/stories/1060037104 We need to stay alert because there are real threats out there.

Aug 7th - 22:47pm | rmackie

Nice response Alfred, the issue however was the SI article and the loosening of the commercialization standards in our National Parks. I felt your response, as much as I agree with most of it, was not on subject, I understand it is difficult to discuss some of the issues without bringing in the political realities.

Aug 7th - 22:20pm | Cher

its a vicinity shoot. Not playboy or penthouse or hustler. SI is going down hill. More trash than beauty. And the women lower their standards.  Sad and Pathetic. Leave our national parks out of your trashy magazines.

Aug 7th - 18:11pm | Rick B.

Call me silly, but I kinda think "you liberal god haters" sounds pretty ad hominem for these halls.   I'd be pretty happy if we could keep the mud blood and beer of the Presidential campaigns out of NPT. Once either the candidates wins we can contemplate the projected effects on the NPS.

Aug 7th - 17:53pm | Alfred Runte

No one is asking you to go anywhere, Ron. The history speaks for itself. If you don't like the history, there is nothing I can do about it. Certainly, when Americans start calling history "stirring the pot," our problems go deeper than we know. As for my interpretations, they are still based on observable history. In that case, tell me where I am wrong.

Aug 7th - 17:08pm | rmackie

Alfred, I know you like to stir the pot, one of the reasons I read your posts. On this one, I am not going to go there. .

Aug 7th - 16:18pm | Alfred Runte

Repeat after me: This happened under the Obama Administration. So far, at least, Donald Trump has taken no oath of office that binds him to protect the parks. Mr. Obama, Mr. Salazar, Ms. Jewell, and Mr. Jarvis have. That's point number one.

Aug 7th - 16:04pm | Ethical Retired...

Jon Jaris's "Zero tolerance" policy regarding sexual harassement is off to a great start, with apparent NPS approval of these sexually provocative poses using Yellowstone National Park as a backdrop.  The NPS Public Affairs guy may not have a problem with this, but I agree with others who believe that using a National Park in this context is offensive.

Aug 7th - 15:43pm | David Hernandez

Hell YES!

Aug 7th - 14:37pm | Vic chamoun

what does Trump have to do with any of this? I would think your liberal God haters would be responsible for the lack of morals in this country!

Aug 7th - 14:09pm | Lee Dalton

One important detail that is not included in the article is the fact that during the photo shoot at Yellowstone Falls, three husbands were tossed into the canyon by their wives because they were looking too long at the scenery. But this is probably a logical extension of NPS endorsement of various beverages that "remove NO from your vocabulary . . . "

Aug 7th - 13:43pm | Siglin1

Unbelievable. The NPS is really going downhill and I hope PEER gets a full answer to it's FOI. It remindes me of how the 100th aniversary is being used to promote visitation with little mention of the purposes of NP's and the Service as laid out in the founding legislation and subsequent legislation.

Aug 7th - 13:09pm | rmackie

Thank you Jane Anzelmo, so much for keeping the National Parks free from commercialization, I feel this is the product of the current disregard for the policies long established for our parks. shame on the NPS Director  A sad day indeed.

Aug 7th - 12:35pm | SR

People pay to preserve and see the natural beauty of the national parks.  We don't pay to preserve it so that Sports Illustrated can make money off of it at our expense. These preserved national parks should be kept natural and undefiled.

Aug 7th - 12:26pm | JW

You know what hurts the National Park Service image?  Slaughtering bison & poisoning streams and lakes.

Aug 7th - 11:57am | DA

What I see here is not a swimsuit issue. One of the photos doesn't even have all the swimsuit pieces! And these poses. Really?! They're not how real people look when they're outdoors in active wear. In my opinion, it cheapens the NP image... I'd prefer the family friendly one. I've never had any use for Sports Illustrated, and am not in their target market. Even less so, now.

Aug 7th - 10:01am | Joan Anzelmo

This is very disturbing for numerous reasons. This year the NPS invited every fourth grader in the U.S. and their families to visit parks and provided a park pass to enable this. Surely this is not the image the NPS wants to display to millions of American families they have expressly invited to visit.

Aug 7th - 09:54am | tahoma

We can expect a lot more outrageous exploitation of our parks after the Trumpocalypse:http://grist.org/politics/trump-jr-wants-his-dad-to-put-him-in-charge-of...

Will Congress Pass A Centennial Bill For The National Park Service?

Aug 8th - 14:36pm | PaulAZ

The $10 lifetime fee ia a joke. At the very least make it unusable on holidays/ summer weekends. You cannot cry overcrowding when enticing the heaviest users with virtual no-cost entry

Aug 8th - 08:29am | Lee Dalton

No matter what Congress may do, we all have to remain vigilant and watch out for all sorts of possible riders or amendments that might be sneaked into an appropriations bill. http://www.taxpayer.net/media-center/article/fight-over-riders-returns-w...

Op-Ed | Anti-Ranch Activists Use Familiar Playbook

Aug 8th - 13:13pm | NPSWatch

"NPT Staff", I read the scoping letter the ranchers sent to the park that you kindly provided the link to. It is 32 pages, so let me summarize it here. This is what the ranchers said in the letter:    Introduction:

Aug 6th - 20:49pm | FL

Working for an environmental nonprofit organization, as Ms. Trainer did, is not a definition of a paid publicist, at least not to anyone I know. Having a website that encourages people to hire one to write their stories certainly comes much closer. Ms. Trainer wasn't engaging in journalism when she went out with the reporter, Mr. Lopez (whose series has been excellent, by the way). Mr.

Colorful Mount Rainier

Aug 8th - 11:06am | Peg O'Mallley

Gary Vogt has been taking awsome nature photographs of Mt. Rainier for years.   It's great that he's published here.

National Parks Are Managed In Very Inconsistent Ways...Or Are They?

Aug 8th - 10:17am | Abby Wines

Death Valley National Park had moratorium on all sporting events, which included the Badwater 135 Ultramarathon, while safety protocols for these permits were evaluated. That evaluation period is done, and sporting events have been permitted again the last two years. The Badwater 135 Ultramarathon used to start in the morning from Badwater, but is now required by the NPS to start at night.

Meet The Press: National Park Service Director Addresses National Press Club

Aug 7th - 15:40pm | Anonymous

ecbuck asks "Please share that [maintenance backlog] information with us."

A View From The Overlook: Nudity And The National Parks

Aug 7th - 09:32am | Captain Mitch

We have been to the hot springs at BB NP, enjoyed 20 or 30 minutes there, nude before a bunch of toursts showed up. Also have enjoyed nude hiking all over the country. Most adults sleep in the nude, so when I have to urinate at 0'dark thirty I'm not going to get dressed to leave the tent !  So, as the whole world knows, are completely childish and immature when it comes to nudity.

Summer's Crowds Bursting At The Seams In Some National Parks

Aug 6th - 19:23pm | tahoma

"[Mount Rainier] is experiencing extremely high visitation that is creating long wait times at the Nisqually and White River entrances, and heavy road and parking lot congestion. On July 31, wait times to enter the park approached two hours in the early afternoon at the Nisqually Entrance, and exceeded one hour at the White River Entrance.

This Internship with NPS Submerged Resources Center Could be a Diver's Dream

Aug 6th - 19:10pm | Bryan Smith

I'm a Assistant Scuba Instructor,and Head Tech repairman at the world headquarters for Scuba Educators International-{The old YMCA scuba program}, We also operatate PDIC agency. I'm very interested in becoming a National Park Diver!  I've logged close to 3000 dives, most of witch are saltwater dives.

National Parks Traveler's Essential Park Guide