You are here

All Recent Comments

Spritzing Of Bear Spray Drives Grizzly Off Glacier National Park Hiker

Oct 6th - 14:46pm | Ray Bane

The use of pepper spray can have a potentially negative impact on bear/human encounters.  Obviously, a bear that charges a person is a prime candidate for spraying at close quarters.  However, automatically spraying a bear that you happen to encounter on a trail and which shows no aggressive behavior may do more harm than good.

Oct 6th - 13:54pm | Anonymous

If at first it doesn't succeed...

Oct 5th - 13:52pm | Chuck Bartlebaugh

Short burst due not always work if it is a preditory or combative charge you may need to spray much longer. If the bear returnes or recharges you may have to spray a second or third time.  DURATION & DISTANCE COUNT

Cedar Grove At Kings Canyon National Park Closed Indefinitely

Oct 6th - 13:18pm | Anonymous

For those who aren't familiar with Kings Canyon NP, Cedar Grove closes for the winter every year around this time. So unless the closure extends through next summer, this isn't anything unusual.

Scofflaws Piloting Drones In The National Park System

Oct 6th - 10:57am | Bill

There are rules and have been rules for years about radio controlled (RC) aircraft, which is what these drones fall under the control of.  You can't fly them in populated areas and they are not as one commented free to fly anywhere.  A true drone, one flown by remote camera, are currently illegal everywhere.  These are RC aircrafts and must follow the rules for them.

Oct 6th - 09:37am | Kurt Repanshek

Philly, the gentleman in the photo did indeed launch his drone in the park, even after I pointed out that he was in a national park and that drones were banned in national parks. There are other cases, as well -- are you familiar with the drone laying at the bottom of Grand Prismatic Spring in Yellowstone National Park, or the buzzing of wildlife in Zion National Park?

Oct 6th - 01:16am | Philly Drones

How can someone be a "scofflaw" when he is doing something that is perfectly legal?   National Park Service is in charge of National Park lands.  They do not have the authority to control airspace far above their parks.  That's what FAA does - and FAA is perfectly fine with recreational 'drone' flying.  (with a few restricted areas.)

Musings From Olympic National Park

Oct 6th - 06:58am | Rebecca Latson ...

Your articles are always enjoyable to read, Lee.  I was there eons ago before my move to Texas (which I still consider a temporary move).  Younger then, I didn't notice half as much as I would now (I hope).  This article reminds me to go there again.

Oct 4th - 13:58pm | Random Walker

Thanks Lee,I hiked the Elwha, from the snowfinger to the ocean during a Bailey Traverse before removal of the damns... might be time to do it again, experience the rivers changes.

Oct 4th - 13:19pm | Rick B.

Lee... I'm enjoying - with no small amount of envy - your walkabout musings from various parks.

B-29 Superfortress That Lies at the Bottom of Lake Mead Continues to Draw Attention

Oct 5th - 20:09pm | Plane crazy

The b-29 should be raised preserved and taken to Wichita and rebuilt to become the third flyable b-29 besides " doc and fifi.

Flooding Nurtures Life in Congaree National Park

Oct 4th - 23:48pm | Shawn cheney

Hope everyrthing is ok after this flood!

Life Buoyed By The National Parks

Oct 4th - 17:46pm | Helen Petras

Bobbie was a cousin that I never got to know.  I'm so glad that you did and shared it with us. Your last paragraph about energy resonated with me to the core because I've always believed that after death our energy lives on.  Lives on in others as well as the universe.  Our energy is what keeps the universe in perspective......and real.....and alive.

Saguaro Cacti Tagged By Vandals At Saguaro National Park

Oct 3rd - 08:04am | Anonymous

I totaly agree with your comment.  Web Design Agency in New York (NYC)

Way Out There In North Cascades National Park

Oct 2nd - 18:05pm | Rick B.

We just moved to this beautiful area, living just off of highway 20. My wife, who is stationed in Marblemount, has already taken some short hikes in the park and I have hopes to get back into sufficient physical condition to join her on more. I envy the authors their opportunity in exploring the park the way it truly should be explored.

Oct 1st - 10:43am | Matt M

North Cascades is such an amazing park, especially the Hannegan/Copper Ridge area, and most of this trip was on the Pacific Northwest National Scenic Trail!

Catch Autumn's Glow: Your Best Bets

Oct 2nd - 17:05pm | Acadia on my mind

While it's not peak foliage yet in Acadia National Park, our latest blog post includes live webcams and link to state of Maine's weekly foliage report, as well as a round-up of activities in Acadia and surrounding communities throughout the month of October. We'll update the post once the official word comes from Maine, that foliage is peaking, so be sure to check back.

The Ghosts Of Yellowstone National Park

Oct 2nd - 09:37am | Beverly Hill va...

I'm curious about the ghost sighting in Room #2 as I had a very similar experience at the hotel many years ago - including waking my husband and seeing a woman dressed in a 19th century dress.  I would love to compare notes with the woman who saw the ghost - what color was the dress, what, if anything did the woman say or do, etc.  If you know who the guest was, please pass this on.

Enjoy The Music During 'Dulcimer Days' Along The Natchez Trace Parkway

Oct 1st - 21:39pm | Marshall Leonard

I would love to go...sounds cool  but I have a prior engagement... should advertise earlier, maybe 1-2 weeks before events.  Dang...

Photography In The National Parks: Your Armchair Guide To Arches National Park – Part 2

Sep 30th - 11:38am | Winnie

Thank you for sharing these beautiful pictures.

Reader Participation Day: Can You Share A Tip?

Sep 30th - 09:28am | NP_Day_Hiker

I agree, the biggest thing for me is to hike early in the morning.  I also hike in the evenings sometimes.  I've noticed that the farther you hike from a trailhead the more the crowd thins out.  Even a mile-long hike will be far less crowded than a scenic vista or turnout.

Sep 30th - 07:14am | Acadia on my mind

We've been able to avoid the crowds in all the years we've been going to Acadia National Park, by taking these steps: Get to the trailhead early or late, pick a trail in the less crowded part of the park, or go in May or June or after Labor Day, and avoid 3-day weekends.

Delaware North Companies Sues United States Over Loss Of Yosemite National Park Contract

Sep 30th - 01:32am | slc72

Why should a company not get compensated for a name that it came up with in the first place and then made famous over the years.  I contend that this was all by design by our first director.

Sep 29th - 13:28pm | Paulette Baker

Any concessionaire's attempt to trademark place names in a national park is ridiculous, especially when those place names preceded their contract. Greed, pure and simple.

Sep 29th - 13:06pm | Owen Hoffman

Al, I wonder sometimes whether or not our recollections of things in our past aren't influenced by rose colored glasses.  I understand that you are a very strong supporter of the railroads and their role in advocating the development of national parks as tourist destinations.  In my early teens, I too often preferred to ride the trains whenever possible.

Sep 24th - 22:23pm | Megaera

Considering what a wreck DNC has made of the concessions at Yosemite (I have *never* seen such dirty bathrooms as I have at Curry Village, among many other issues), their executives deserve to be laughed out of court.  Then they need to be fined in the millions. Yes, this is a moral and ethical opinion, not a legal one.

Sep 24th - 16:16pm | Greg

I really hope DNC improves it concessions in Yosemite. It is one of the few weak spots at Yosemite

Sep 24th - 15:54pm | Alfred Runte

Now you see what I miss about the railroads. They had class.

Photography in National Parks

Sep 29th - 23:48pm | Amarillobymorning

The Minute Man National Monument just north of Boston is worth seeing, some pretty scenery and some historic sights (including a memorial to the British soldiers who were killed). Gettysburg is extremely moving and you can get some very creative shots of statues, etc.

Deer Culling Coming To Gettysburg National Military Park

Sep 29th - 08:14am | Anne Barton

If this were an effective method of managing deer and forest damage they would not have to continue it forever as they seem to be doing.

Sep 29th - 07:17am | Greer Ashton

And how has the culling worked out over the years, so far?  Have deer number decreased, or is that number lower only immediatley after the"'cull"? Have there been any years in which it wasn't "necessary" to perform the cull? The answer should be obviouols if the hunting continues.

National Park management

Sep 28th - 14:27pm | George

Thanks for the memories of Bill Jones and Carl Sharsmith, who were my mentors during the summer of 1961.  I used what they taught me both in my career with the BLM wilderness program and conservation groups and, since retiring, in my volunteer work.

Sep 22nd - 11:34am | Ray Bane

Mackie, Thanks again for the book reference.  I have been reading it for the past few days and find it captivating.  I can related to some of the writer's experiences, especially the intrusion of politics into the managment process.

A Visit To City Of Rocks National Reserve

Sep 25th - 18:04pm | Lynda Damrill

Amazing place.I do suggest a picnic since a bit isolated,but you can expect seasonal insects.Best part are the signatures left on these strange outcroppings of rock by California Trail immigrants.

New Campground Opening At Acadia National Park

Sep 24th - 18:45pm | wild places

So nice to see a campground instead of a huge resort. I have friends who just visited their first national park (Yellowstone) after in part hearing me talk them up. Needless to say they came back less enthused than I had hoped due to the overwhelming crowds. More is not always better.

Sep 24th - 18:28pm | Acadia on my mind

Just got back from a trip to Schoodic Woods, and we've put together a blog post on everything you need to know about it: best camp site, with view of Cadillac; what you can see on the new year-round hiking and biking trails; and why there are no shower facilities.

Musings From Klondike Gold Rush National Historical Park

Sep 24th - 18:33pm | Rosalind Santini

I spent a week in Skagway and enjoyed every minute. I did avoid the shopping and instead took a bike ride to  the Jewel Garden for a great meal and tour of their park like landscape, sculptures and miniature train set up in the gardens.

Sep 24th - 11:55am | MN born, Skagwa...

How sad, another tourist comes to our town, never leaves the one street consisting of 6 blocks of the tourism area (we are 23 block by 4 blocks), and thinks he knows what our beautiful alaskan community is like.  Did you hike our trails that hold beauty that is second to none?  did you visit our school that provides an iPad for ever single student?

Sep 23rd - 06:57am | Dimitra Lavrakas

Well, as a journalist, I found your story about the town I lived in and was the town's editor for six years, snarky and missing of come important history. Skagway has always been a town where people come off of boats in droves, if as a Parkie you know the town's history. During the gold ruch toruists came to just watch the stampede, and yes, ride the train.

New Bridge Coming To Tie Outer Banks Together

Sep 24th - 10:58am | Buxton

SELC is a wonderful conservation organization with dedicated lawyers and staff. Their advocacy in trying to stop an ill conceived plan of bridges on a national wildlife refuge was commendable. The state's plan called for 2 additional bridges to be built on the refugee, keeping the refugee in a perpetual state of construction for 10 to 20 years.

Sep 22nd - 14:42pm | Doyer Research

Ocracoke Island is only accessible by ferry.

Sep 21st - 15:07pm | hatrasfevr

The SELC (Southern Environmental Law Center) is responsible for at least 10 years of litigation and tens of millions of dollars spent at their law firm opposing the bridge replacement in the name of saving the birds of Pea Island NWR into which the bridge returns people to land on highway 12 in NC.

Take To The Open Road On The Natchez Trace Parkway This Fall

Sep 24th - 09:45am | John Harrison

It starts in Natchez dummy NOT Nashville,,, study just a little History,,, They came down the river and traveled UP the trace.

National Park Slot Canyons Are Alluring, But Also Deady

Sep 22nd - 13:33pm | Nancy DeYoung

was there several years ago and it is an eerie feeling...the high walls and unsure footing of rocks and river stones ...the Rangers all over the Park Service DO tell people of the rules and has always amazed me how people think it will never happen to them. This area is not can be warm and sunny and in seconds you can be swept up and banged against the walls.

Updated: Man Shoots Sea Turtle With Speargun At Cape Hatteras National Seashore

Sep 21st - 15:29pm | John Madert

The public is only interested in the apprehension of this loser.  If it's a federal crime, get the FBI involved.

Photography In The National Parks: Your Armchair Guide To Arches National Park – Part 1

Sep 21st - 10:43am | Rene

Great pictures.  Arches is one of our stops on the Southwest Field Trip.  Nice to see it with snow dusting.  Amazingly good coverage an yert no pictures of arches.

Rabid Deer Charges Chesapeake & Ohio Canal Historical Park Ranger

Sep 21st - 09:53am | Get Bats Out

Rabies is a very serious illness. Bats get a bad rap however. Only between 3-5% of bats have rabies. But when in doubt, leave it alone.

Black Bear Put Down At Glacier National Park

Sep 20th - 22:26pm | Ray Bane

"Why not set up feeding stations in locations (away from human activity) where bears would normally find berries etc.? It would supplement in times of low berry production & help prevent the bears 'intrusion' into populated areas," Anonymous.

Sep 20th - 17:22pm | Ray Bane

This sad tale highlights some important concerns of managing the interface of people and wildlife in the parks.  A bear or other wildlife that seems docile or even "tame" around humans is still fundementally a wild animal and should be treated with respect and caution.  The more we intrude on wildlife habitat the greater the possibility of unfortunate conflicts taking place.

Fire Island National Seashore Officials Searching For How Best To Manage Breach

Sep 20th - 19:03pm | Kevin roden

thank you, keeping the breach seems to be a great idea the bay is definitely cleaner

National Parks Traveler's Essential Park Guide