You are here

All Recent Comments

Katmai National Park Moves To Ban Bicycles From Valley Of 10,000 Smokes

Aug 9th - 01:11am | Ray Bane

Back in the mid 80s Katmai was faced with this same. A group of mountain bikers asked for permission to ride the road to the Valley of 10K Smokes and then descend onto the ash field. I said no. Anyone riding a bike on the road could set off a chase by a bear. The crust on the ash fields in the Valley of !0K Smokes are vulnerable to shredding by bike tires.

Aug 8th - 22:29pm | Libation

That is BS: bikes erode the landscape much more quickly and dramatically than foot traffic. I've seen this on trails previously closed to biking that were then opened up to mountain biking. Within a couple of years these trails, once narrow and covered with plants at the edges, had become converted to wide, bare troughs. Ugly!

Grizzly Bear Attacked, Ate, Hiker Who Died In Yellowstone National Park

Aug 8th - 23:55pm | Dick

Too bad he wasn't packing heat. This incident is a stern reminder that hikers need to be suitably armed when traversing grizzly country.

Aug 8th - 23:00pm | Elizabeth Creely

Please don't kill the bear.

Aug 8th - 20:47pm | Anyone

I hope none of your family members are killed by a bear, you might have a different opinion then.

Aug 8th - 20:36pm | Judith Hausmann

I love Yellowstone, but this is bear country, their home!, i love to hike, and in doing so i must respect nature. Prayers to all the family & friends, but this was a chance we all take when out in the country that wild animals call HOME.

Aug 8th - 20:10pm | Anonymous

The problem with bears is they will continue to return to where they found previously, so further hikers beware. You are future delicacies for the bears palate.

Aug 8th - 18:31pm | Shines46

I don't believe in punishing this bear. Man is invading its turf!!! If she had a cub she was just protecting it...

Aug 8th - 17:08pm | Random Walker

"If people persist in trespassing upon the grizzlies' territory, we must accept that the grizzlies, from time to time, will harvest a few trespassers." ~ Edward Abbey

Is Global Climate Change A Threat to National Parks? Another Response

Aug 8th - 16:20pm | Alfred Runte

One of these days, I imagine we will call this the thread that wouldn't die. Nor should it, because this is the discussion the nation needs to have. Just this morning in THE WALL STREET JOURNAL, we find the columnist Holman Jenkins talking about Tesla, which he alleges to be "a compliance company. Don't take our word for it. Mr.

Aug 8th - 14:36pm | ecbuck

I wouldn't if it were fact. Problem for you is, it isn't fact.

Aug 8th - 12:42pm | Anonymous

Oh, Eric. Don't let the fact of a strong consensus stand in the way of your denial.

Aug 8th - 11:54am | ecbuck

"to show the strong consensus that exists" There is not "strong consensus" it is pure fabrication by the "true believers" just like the numbers they make up to justify their stance.

Aug 8th - 10:36am | Owen Hoffman

Alfred, a brief search of the internet will reveal lots of discussion on the link between human-caused global climate change and overpopulation. See as an example:

Aug 8th - 08:01am | ecbuck

"That was not true 55 years ago when I first moved into this area." That's interesting since LA smog peaked in the 40s and 50s and has been abating ever since. Wonder where it is coming from.

Aug 7th - 23:36pm | rmackie

Alfred, I agree, but I think it is stretch not to include fossil fuels as a contributor. Here in the Sierra Foothills after every weather front moves through, you can get on a local Peak, 5000 feet or above, and during the progress of the first clear day, see the smog line starting on I-5, moving to Highway 99 and into the foothills.

Aug 7th - 11:04am | Alfred Runte

Personally, I continue to wait for the latest scientific information that human-caused overpopulation--leading to the destruction of coastal wetlands, rainforests, deserts, farmlands, etc., etc.--is itself the root cause of global warming. But again, I'm not holding my breath on that one, because that is not PC. Rather, we have to turn the United States of America into another industrial slum.

Aug 6th - 19:39pm | ecbuck

Latests? This is the same garbage that has been debunked for years.

Aug 6th - 14:29pm | Owen Hoffman The latest from NASA and 18 other scientific organizations about the reality of human-caused climate change.

Be Bear Aware If You're Heading To Sequoia, Kings Canyon, Or Yosemite National Parks

Aug 8th - 12:11pm | Rick

How about:" here bear bear.. nice boy!' (smile)

Bison 5, Humans 0 At Yellowstone National Park

Aug 8th - 09:37am | Rick Smith

In the early 60's when I was a seasonal ranger in YELL, I was driving on road patrol and came upon a massive bear jam. While getting out of the patrol car to see if I could get traffic moving again, I saw something that horrified me. A couple was spreading jam on their young daughter's face so that they could get a photo of it.

Aug 8th - 08:31am | Read and Follow...

Read and Follow the Warnings

National Park Service Officials Disavow Scathing Report On Effigy Mounds Desecration

Aug 7th - 19:47pm | Anonymous

Patty Trap has been an unmitigated disaster during her tenure at the Midwest Regional Office. She was acting Regional Director for a year. During that time there were between 12 and 15 superintendent positions vacant. She only filled a couple of these, while allowing the parks to languish under temporary leadership.

Aug 7th - 10:28am | SmokiesBackpacker

I'm gratified to see that other people are taking note of the crooked leadership of Jon Jarvis. What he has done to the NPS is change the culture from one of trusted public servants to that of money grubbing, retribution oriented, boot licking lackeys and anyone who dares question him is discredited by an army of nameless NPS sycophants.

Aug 6th - 10:55am | Ghost of Steven...

Although the initial violations took place many years ago, many of the violations occurred under the current director. More importantly, the point of the article is how contemporary NPS managers (this week) "disavowed" its own "Serious Mismanagement Report." They only acknowledged it when it was leaked by concerned NPS employees to watchdog groups.

Aug 6th - 07:04am | Anonymous

Director in place when this happened is gone, regional director, deputy regional director in place when this happened is gone, superintendent in place when this happened is gone. Which pike?

Aug 5th - 22:47pm | Anonymous

This started a decade before Jarvis was even in office. The past 5+ years have been dealing with the aftermath. Get your timelines straight.

Aug 5th - 19:25pm | Sally B.

As a former NPS employee, I see no surprises here. In fact, I heard about the problems at Effigy Mounds from former colleagues several months ago. At that time, former colleagues lamented "but, of course, this will be buried and NPS leadership will do all they can to protect the friends they have put in leadership positions."

Aug 5th - 16:40pm | Rick B.

What's so hard to understand that, sooner or later, putting an appropriate Head on an appropriate Pike is necessary, and might even buy management a few minutes of breathing room?

Aug 5th - 13:35pm | Ghost of Steven...

My God! So many issues here: 1) NPS pushes the quals of a "preferred," but unqualified individual to Superintendent, for all the wrong reasons (system-wide leadership identification and development failure). *An issue in itself.

Aug 5th - 12:14pm | Timothy Mason

The agency is so swollen with money hungry ladder climbing bureaucrats it can't perform true preservation. There is a strong element of builder mentality in the National Park Service. It must end & return to what John Muir and others envisioned. Mr. Muir actually tramped the hills just a couple miles from the Effigy Mounds National Monument in his youth.

Camping In The Parks: Big Creek Campground At Great Smoky Mountains National Park

Aug 7th - 15:58pm | TallyL

How hard is it to get a site? Have people had trouble with it filling up early?

Falcon Nesting Done, Trails In Acadia National Park Open To Hikers

Aug 7th - 13:30pm | Acadia on my mind

The comeback of peregrine falcons in Acadia National Park is quite an environmental success story. This year there were 7 peregrine falcon chicks that fledged.

Touring Cliff Palace At Mesa Verde National Park

Aug 6th - 17:03pm | Christiane Thaxton

When my husband and I visited many years ago we had to use a fallen tree to get to the cliff side.It looks like a lot was rebuilt or added and I do not think that that would be a good thing.It should have stayed as it was discovered.It is a very magic place and now I think it has lost some of the magic because of the alterations.

Aug 6th - 13:14pm | Tom Lorig

What is with the hat that the ranger is wearing? Is it something that has been recently approved to go with the uniform? I was under the impression that for tours such as this one, only the flat hats were approved?

Aug 6th - 13:10pm | Dennis P. Lima

We just visited Mesa Verde and did the Cliff Palace tour this past Independence Day weekend. Our 6 year old son enjoyed it very much. Highly recommended.

NPS Joins International Slave Wrecks Project

Aug 6th - 13:51pm | wild places

Perhaps I was too hasty in saying this doesn't belong in the NPS. After re-reading I am not sure exactly what role or to what extent the NPS is involved. What troubled me initially is it sounded like they were in the shipwreck search, recovery, restoration and training business all the way from St. Croix to South Africa and everywhere in-between.

Aug 5th - 11:09am | Rick B.

The NPS is one of the premier agencies in the US for the preservation of and interpretation of history.

Aug 4th - 23:36pm | WodaabeMan

The shipwreck is in a NPS national park. Therefore, NPS is obligated by an act of the U.S. congress to document the shipwreck.

Mishaps And Missteps In Yellowstone National Park Claim One, Injure Others

Aug 6th - 08:14am | Shepsl Topaz

It strikes me that there just may be far too few park rangers to monitor the hordes of people who visit. That's a function of federal funding, and unfortunately the view by many legislators is that if it's not making gobs of money for some company, it's funding that can be skimped on. Penny wise and pound foolish.

Rocky Mountain National Park's Decision Not To Use Wolves To Reduce Elk Upheld By Appellate Court

Aug 6th - 01:00am | Sue Hamber

I just visited Rocky Mt. Nat'l Park for the first time and came away disappointed. For all its majesty, something was missing: wolves. In their place, there are fences all over the park to keep elk out of riparian areas. I felt like I was on a ranch instead of a great national park that embraced the natural order of things.

Musings From Fort Vancouver National Historic Site: A Hodgepodge Of History

Aug 5th - 23:14pm | Julia

I find it interesting that so many of your articles question whether or not national parks - including Hagerman Fossil Beds and Minidoka, in addition to Fort Vancouver - should be administered by the National Park Service.

Op-Ed|National Park Service Has Correct Approach To Bear Viewing At Katmai National Park

Aug 5th - 15:32pm | Ray Bane

Pardon my failure to more closely edit my last post. Please change "two superintendents" to "a superintendent."

Aug 4th - 20:57pm | Ray Bane

I am aware of Jim Stratton's close working relationship with the National Park Service regarding Brooks River, and I respect his opinion.

Flood-Damaged Old Fall River Road Reopens At Rocky Mountain National Park

Aug 5th - 14:20pm | Dave Crowl

Took Fall River Road on Sunday. Had not been there in years. It was busy, but the views were amazing. I would recommend to anyone visiting during good weather.

Too Many Retirements Impacting National Park Service Law Enforcement Ranks

Aug 5th - 10:58am | Rick B.

In my personal experience and opinion, this is a problem not restricted to LE or even to NPS. It is a universal concern. Succession planning is an ongoing vision of the future which involves management investing time and expense into the process.

Aug 5th - 10:44am | Stormy

This isn't limited to the NPS. My own (former) agency has been experiencing the same thing since about 2005, as have many others. Those of us who were hired in the 'boom years' of the late 70s/early 80s are now reaching retirement age and getting the hell out of Dodge and we are not being replaced.

Aug 4th - 20:53pm | Longstreet

In my park, there are not enough protection rangers -- the ones that do law enforcement but also emergency medicine, search and rescue, fire management, etc. These are multi-skilled professionals but they are not simply "law enforcement" rangers.

Appellate Court Affirms National Park Service Immunity In Deadly Mountain Goat Attack

Aug 5th - 10:48am | Ghost of Steven...

Judge Kleinfeld is correct, on merit. The agency was negligent. This was a known, documented and long-term hazard, which was mismanaged. No different than a hazard tree program.

Traveler's View: Wilderness Hanging In Balance At Big Cypress National Preserve

Aug 5th - 07:54am | Anonymous

d-2, should we have pushed harder to eliminate at all motorized access at Hatteras? I suspect ORV impact is greater in Big Cypress but not having been there I couldn't make an informed comment.

National Parks Traveler's Essential Park Guide