You are here

All Recent Comments

Winter Survey: Just Two Wolves Known To Remain At Isle Royale National Park

Apr 19th - 09:38am | ecbuck

No vagaries in the weather around Isle Royale?  Weather indeed fluctuates but those fluctuations have been no greater than in the past despite the climate change predictions.

Apr 19th - 09:19am | Kurt Repanshek

No vagaries in the weather around Isle Royale? Warmer in the early part of this century, then a cold winter or two that led to an ice bridge, then warming again...What would be good to see, and I'm sure it's out there somewhere, are weather records that show the average winter/summer temps for the past 50 or 100 years.

Apr 19th - 09:16am | ecbuck

Part of climate change is increased vagaries of "weather, But that hasn't happened.  Another wrong projection.

Apr 19th - 09:02am | Kurt Repanshek

Not sure that's an accurate conclusion, EC. Part of climate change is increased vagaries of "weather," so what's transpired the past 15 years would fit into that.

Apr 19th - 08:44am | ecbuck

Since that time, however, the moose population has boomed to an estimated 1,300 this year (+/-390 individuals) So once again "97% of the scientists: were wrong.

Traveler’s View: Grand Canyon’s Sexual Harassment Chapter Demands Transparency

Apr 19th - 09:17am | Gran Canyon Com...

Although is is improving slowly, the whole Grand Canyon boating scene has been a place where the members of the boating community have felt that many aspects of social correctness could be set aside. More than "What goes on the river stays on the river," a lot of the folks in that community feel that there are no rules.

National Park Service Far From Achieving Hydration Station Goals

Apr 19th - 09:14am | dahkota

Actually, it is $55 billion over five years. And that includes EVERY kind of US tax it pays (state, property, sales, etc.) and duties. Additionally, that is $16 billion in operating earnings, not net earnings. In that same five years, they distributed $145 billion to stock holders (that would be part of their income).

Apr 19th - 08:34am | ecbuck

Apr 18th - 22:08pm | Lee Dalton

ec, when are you going to present any evidence that I'm wrong?  Your opinion is not evidence. When others here do provide links to articles substantiating things you disagree with, you simply sidestep and ignore them. It's a waste of time to even try to respond to you.  Let's leave it up to intelligent people to decide who's right and who's not.

Apr 18th - 19:59pm | Thomas Weaver

"It hoped to acheive..." Well, I hope to go to the bathroom at least twice a day...and usually of 360 days a year I do.

Presidential Proclamation For National Park Week

Apr 19th - 08:29am | ecbuck

But Alfred, "regulated" is a swear word in some circles. Are those the same unsubstantiated circles where republicans come unglued?  Man, you and Rick S are going to make American a manufacturing giant again with all your fabrications.

Apr 18th - 22:15pm | Lee Dalton

But Alfred, "regulated" is a swear word in some circles. Indeed, why are we not choosing landfills, abandoned strip mines, bankrupt shopping centers, etc., for the panels and turbines. Why not? Good question.  But I'll ask again, how about residential and business rooftops for solar panels?

Apr 18th - 20:52pm | Alfred Runte

A fair question, Rick, and do note that I said "regulated." Unregulated grazing can have disastrous consequences, too. Ever since human beings stood upright, we have been cutting into the earth. Practically everything in my home--and yours--has somehow been extracted from the earth.

Apr 18th - 19:13pm | Rick B.

Do you have any good pictures of how mineral "develoipment" {one has to assume 'extraction'] respects the land? Grazing, no big problem; mineral extraction, I would expect problems.

Apr 18th - 12:38pm | Alfred Runte

Some of my best friends are foresters, hydrologists, and agronomists. They remind me where my breakfast comes from. There are two major branches of conservation, and all of us should believe in both. What we should not allow, under any circumstances, is the dismemberment of our public lands.

Apr 18th - 12:20pm | ecbuck

Regulated grazing, timber cutting, water storage, and yes, even mineral development, can and do respect the land. Then you are not as absolute as I feared. We are very much in agreement.

Apr 18th - 12:13pm | Alfred Runte

EC, leasing the public lands is fine. And yes, there has been much talk about leasing out the services within the parks, specifically those currently provided by the NPS. As we know, the first leases were in 1864--in the Yosemite Grant awarded to California. It stuck. All concessions services are provided by leaseholders.

Apr 18th - 11:26am | ecbuck

Stop worrying about who is privatizing your national parks (no one), Thank you Alfred.  I agree with most everything you wrote above. Though, you seem to be more reluctant than I to lease federal lands. In some instances it may be inapproriate but I would not take a blanket stance against it.

Apr 18th - 10:48am | Alfred Runte

Stop worrying about who is privatizing your national parks (no one), and start worrying about who is leasing away your public lands (everyone). Privatization is another smokescreen. For that matter, none of you has good documentation. You're all reaching for your holsters again. I know that none of you likes the facts here, but they are indeed the facts.

Apr 18th - 10:39am | Anonymous

Gosh, somehow I don't remember that.  Could you repost it? Its in the very post you responded to that started with "baloney".  I said " Please show me were any of them have said they want to privitize the Parks."  and not surprisingly, you have failed to do it.

Apr 18th - 10:24am | Rick Smith

Gosh, somehow I don't remember that.  Could you repost it?  You are good at challenging others to document things but are woefiully short in that department yourself.

Apr 18th - 10:12am | ecbuck

Already have.  Challanged you to provide evidence the legislature and Cruz callled for privitizing the parks.  You have failed to provide it.

Apr 18th - 09:35am | Rick Smith

Hey, ec, show us how it's pure baloney.

Apr 18th - 09:21am | ecbuck

If your version is "reality" why can't you provide any evidence to back it up?  Show us were the Utah legislature and Ted Cruz have called for privitizing the parks.  Explain how paying $57 bil in taxes with $16 bil on net income is a subsidary.  Explain how Walmart is subsidized.  Your silence is evidence of the absense of substantiation.

Apr 18th - 09:01am | Lee Dalton

Ah, Rick --- I'm really proud of you!  Thank you, Bro.  It's nice to know there are actually some intelligent and rational people out there who are able to differentiate between reality and fantasy.

Apr 17th - 16:17pm | ecbuck

Baloney.  Please show me were any of them have said they want to privitize the Parks.  Pure fabrications - you are making Lee proud.

Apr 17th - 15:30pm | Rick Smith

The entire Utah delegation for starters and Ted Cruz for another.

Apr 17th - 14:37pm | ecbuck

What is worse by far...the Republicans who want to Privatize are Parks. Who might they be?

Apr 17th - 14:27pm | David Sherburne

What is worse by far...the Republicans who want to Privatize are Parks.

Group Identifies 20 "Anti-Public Lands" Politicians

Apr 19th - 02:34am | Cindy

Thanks to the writer of this article. I appreciate your effort in making this informational blogs. I know it's not easy to do this but you have done a really great job. I'm pretty sure your readers enjoying it a lots.

New River Gorge National River To Close, Rehabilitate Illegal Off-Road Vehicle Trails

Apr 18th - 17:23pm | Ray Bane

ORV access poses one of the greatest threats to public lands, including national parks.  These machines are designed to claw their way through thick brush, push aside small  trees, churn their way across wetlands and ford streams through knee-deep water.  Many can be described as mini tanks.  National parks in Alaska are particularly impacted by ORV access.

Scofflaws Piloting Drones In The National Park System

Apr 18th - 12:11pm | Kurt Repanshek

Actually, anonymous, you can't shoot your guns in the parks. You can carry them, but you can't shoot them.

Apr 18th - 12:09pm | Anonymous

You can shoot your guns in national parks but you cant fly a drone.. Murica.  I live in WA state and there are thousands of acres of national park in remote areas with nobody for miles and miles and I cant fly my drone but I can go out there and shoot beer bottles with a gun till the cows come home.  they should not be banned in remote wilderness areas where there are no people.

Crude Oil Refinery Proposed Next To Theodore Roosevelt National Park Raises Concerns

Apr 18th - 10:41am | Kaylin

I really liked this peice of info about the rosovelt national park

Apr 18th - 09:06am | Lee Dalton

I drove through the Refinery Corridor along I-15 north of Salt Lake and was reminded by the odour de jour that oil refineries really are CRUDE.  Anyone who made a similar odor in a public place would be shunned.  Very impolite.  You're supposed to save that for the restroom --- or at least step outside. That's why the title of this article seems so appropriate :

Apr 17th - 22:19pm | Judy Pelton

@Boufa - get real. our national parks are places we are trying to preserve for all time, for our children's children's great great grandchildren etc. who would want to go to them if they were surrounded by garbage, if the air was filled with chemicals, if the view from their mountains and rivers was of oil fields and fracking facilities and mining pits and shopping malls and thruways?

Apr 17th - 12:30pm | ecbuck

Well since it isn't on government land and isn't subsidized (unless you can finaly explain how $57 billion of taxes and $16 billion of income is a subsidy), I would say they have nothing in common.

Apr 17th - 11:32am | Lee Dalton

In another feature in today's Traveler, we read about Soda Mountain. Isn't this just Soda Mountain north?

Apr 17th - 09:57am | Boufa

The parks have boundaries.   Yet they want to control the land outside of their boundaries.   I appreciate the environmental issues, but if that land needed protection then it should have been inside the boundaries.

Xanterra Parks & Resorts Sues National Park Service Over Grand Canyon Contracts

Apr 18th - 09:10am | Emmett Gomez

I told my boss a year and a half before the contract came out for bid that the franchise fees weren't doable.  I was told Washington had good accountants.  Yea, right!!!  That's why the contract was revised seven times and the franchise fees are around four percent.  I guess I knew what I was talking about.

A Whimsical Video Primer On Mountain Goats And Bighorn Sheep From Parks Canada

Apr 18th - 08:56am | Lee Dalton

That's an absolute HOOT!  Thanks for a laughing start to the day.  (Other readers, be sure you wait until the very end before you turn it off . .  . )

Apr 17th - 15:19pm | Mary Beth Maassen

OMG! That was hysterical! Thanks!

Apr 17th - 15:14pm | Kurt Repanshek

Here you go, Mary Beth!

Apr 17th - 15:12pm | Mary Beth Maassen

Can't wait to see the video

Op-Ed | The True Meaning Of Soda Mountain: The White House Is Giving Away Our Public Lands

Apr 17th - 23:45pm | Rick B.

I'm glad this is listed as an op-ed.

Apr 17th - 11:53am | ecbuck

At it again with your unsubstantiated accusations.  MONEY, PROFIT, and GREED as obstacles

Apr 17th - 11:29am | Lee Dalton

"The problem is that developers don't read environmental history--or think critically about it if they do." Let's change just one small part of that sentence -- let's make it read "developers and their purchased allies in legislatures." We could even add "and the American public" to make it even more accurate.

National Park Websites Get Extreme Makeover For National Park Week

Apr 17th - 14:08pm | Anonymous

To many dead links and outdated info.

Musings From Death Valley National Park

Apr 17th - 13:54pm | mrmark

If its not the NPS, then who allowed the Yosemite trademarks to be approved for an outside company in the first place??

Cleanup From October Storms Continues At Death Valley National Park

Apr 17th - 13:37pm | Mark Anthony

When was the last time you looked at the cost to maintain the road in front of your house??  $12 Mil to essentially replace a road in the middle of the desert is pretty cheap as well as necessary.  Considering the other foolish things our government is spending money on, its a bargain and very well worth the effort.

National Parks Traveler's Essential Park Guide