You are here

All Recent Comments

Florida Congressional Offices Want To Block Biscayne National Park's Fisheries Plan

Jul 13th - 13:46pm | rmackie

Thank you Bogator and Matt Schwartz, your comments were right on. The Tampa Bay article was quite interesting. I have been on both sides of the table when good science is over ridden by political boards, it is the system, and depending on who is running the show, some bad decisions are made.

Jul 13th - 08:22am | ecbuck

"read what the Tampa Bay Times has to say" It says the Commissioners didn't pass a faulty plan. Sounds like they did their job.

Jul 13th - 05:49am | southfloridawild

Too bad the representatives drafting the letter were not in attendance at the meeting held by the National Park Service where hundreds of attendees were randomly assigned to about a dozen focus groups. Those groups talked and then reported their discussions.

Jul 12th - 20:17pm | Bogator

In answer to Anon of 12/12 where he says " Are these State fish and wildlife management agencies ignorant or uncaring of the science? I doubt it", read what the Tampa Bay Times has to say about those same fish and wildlife people and what they plan to do about the critically endangered Florida Panther:

Jul 12th - 20:10pm | Anonymous

"Noticing a career politician's political politicalizing is not quite the same as me politicizing a discussion." There was no "political politicalizing". There were Congressmen looking to get all affected parties involved. ec

Jul 12th - 19:54pm | Anonymous

" you might be interested in the findings of the National Park Service AND the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission on the benefits of a similar area at Dry Tortugas National Park, called the Research Natural Area." And if the Commission came to the same conclusion in Biscayne, there is nothing in the proposed legislation that would prevent the plan from going forward.

Jul 12th - 19:49pm | Anonymous

"Noticing a career politician's political politicalizing is not quite the same as me politicizing a discussion." What the heck does that mean?

Jul 12th - 19:30pm | Rick B.

Sorry folks have to observe the ad hominem towards me. Noticing a career politician's political politicalizing is not quite the same as me politicizing a discussion. In deference to Kurt's living room here, I'll leave it at that.

Jul 12th - 19:09pm | Kurt Repanshek

For those wondering about the benefits of a marine reserve zone at Biscayne National Park, you might be interested in the findings of the National Park Service AND the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission on the benefits of a similar area at Dry Tortugas National Park, called the Research Natural Area.You can find the report here:

Jul 12th - 14:51pm | Anonymous

I suspect the NPS "science" is the problem, it's been proven over and over to be biased and inadequate. I'll bet the USFWS doesn't agree with the NPS.

Jul 12th - 14:44pm | Anonymous

Once again Rick, in his attempt to politicize the non-political, mis-characterizes the issue to make it seem more dire than it is. All this does is ask that the State fish and wildlife management agencies participate in the process. Are these State fish and wildlife management agencies ignorant or uncaring of the science? I doubt it.

Jul 12th - 11:31am | rmackie

Agree Rick B., and even more troubling, little if any respect or understanding of the issue of sustainability of this ecological wonder.

Jul 12th - 03:21am | Rick B.

Yet another case of the republican office holders defying science for the benefit of special interests.As the superintendent mentioned, disappointing, but not surprising.

Move In Congress To Overturn National Park Service's Ban On Disposable Water Bottles

Jul 13th - 13:31pm | Jim Burnett

Agree, ec, about the micromanaging.

Jul 13th - 08:26am | ecbuck

While I believe the bottled water ban is silly and as the Vermont study confirms even counter productive, I wish Congress wouldn't micro manage the parks.

Traveler Housekeeping: Missing Forums And Parkipedia

Jul 13th - 09:59am | Kurt Repanshek

If you mean the "Browse by Topic" and "Browse by Date," yes, we're working on that.

Jul 13th - 09:50am | Anonymous

Is the story archive feature going to be restored? That was a quick way to see at a glance what was missed when not visiting for a few days.

The Ghosts Of Yellowstone National Park

Jul 13th - 00:46am | Philip Wilson

When I was about 10 I saw an arm come out of a hot pot near Old faithful. Its one of those things you remember as a child. I never had any confirmation about my sighting. In fact for 30 years I've never told anyone about it. Reading about LR Piper has convinced me it was real.

Congaree National Park Has A Hog Gone Wild Problem

Jul 12th - 18:18pm | Shannon Noble

I visit this swamp all the time and only once came across a pack of coyotes in hunting mode. It was an amazing sight. There is so much fear and emphasis on wiping out these amazing animals but they help keep the wild hog population in check. Lack of these apex predators means the wild hog numbers grow.

Jul 10th - 19:21pm | Bob Tisch

I believe that, if a proper appeal were made to our states sportsmen and hunting organizations, there would be many hunters who would be honored to serve their state and country by taking many of these animals. Of course, this form of hog control would require detailed organization and planning to ensure order and participant safety.

Lost in the Desert: Proposed Mojave Trails National Monument Remains In Limbo

Jul 12th - 17:46pm | Linda Earls

This is just the craziest thing! I remember traveling Route 66 just because that's the road we always took to go back East. 40 was already there, but we always wanted the scenic route. We love Route 66! They need to get their priorities straight. Millions of tourist dollars are aimed for Route 66 each year. Please fix this now!

Trails I've Hiked: Bechler River Trail In Yellowstone National Park

Jul 12th - 16:55pm | Kurt Repanshek

Anonymous (Jeremy), no bridges across the Bechler River or Mountain Ash Creek further east. The boardwalk through the marsh remains.

Jul 12th - 16:49pm | Jeremy Johnson

I did this hike 3 or 4 times during my early teen years to late teen years in the late 80's to early and mid 90's. There used to be little bridges to cross some of the bigger areas of the bechler river. Is this not the case anymore? There was a bridge at the end of the meadows to cross. Not there any more? If anybody can respond to this that would be great! Thank you.

100-Foot-Fall Proves Fatal To Zion National Park Canyoneer

Jul 12th - 16:46pm | Barbra Bloomfield

Prayers to his family, the canyons are beautiful but can be treacherous.

Lodging In Limbo On The Blue Ridge Parkway

Jul 12th - 15:05pm | D Cecil

These properties should be sold or leased (25 yrs.) for long term investments to private enterprises under clear strict rules to retain historical integrity and design, but pricing should be at the owners discretion.

Echoes of the Cold War in the Tropical Warmth of Everglades National Park

Jul 12th - 13:28pm | Danford Sawyer

Anyone out there serve at the site just north of Vamo on Little Sarasota Bay? (Between Gulf Gate and Osprey near the Oyster Bar Restaurant just north of what is now Pelican Cove?) Anyone out there serve at the Hawk site on top of the Mercury Outboards test center later the condo at the southern tip of Siesta Key? How about the Hawk site on top of the Hilton on Longboat?

Hunter Who Killed Gray Wolf That Roamed From Yellowstone To Grand Canyon Won't Be Charged

Jul 11th - 15:23pm | Mike Painter

If he'd killed because he hated wolves, it's unlikely he would have reported it himself. At least that's my take on the situation.

Jul 10th - 21:48pm | ernie meyer

i really do not hunt but i do fish and enjoy as much of the outdoors as i can ...one member of my family has a farm with cattle and such and I learn many thing s from him and other people. in my town we have a lot of coyotes and pass them on the road side every day...not once would anyone ever mistake that frail creature for being a wolf or even a german shepard.

Hit-And-Run Driver Kills Wolf At Grand Teton National Park

Jul 11th - 14:37pm | Kurt Repanshek

Traveler's always open to help in covering the parks...or contributions to help us do the job. If you want to help out, you can reach me at kurt@nationalparkstraveler.com

Jul 11th - 14:23pm | bytecourier

After reading the headline of this article, I assumed it meant someone saw a car hit the wolf and "take off", as this is the what newspaper articles and TV newscasts mean by "Hit-and-Run".

Jul 11th - 08:52am | sunsetryder

Was there cell coverage at the site? Did the driver have a cell phone? Was there much traffic on that particular road that time of night? What was the weather? Where there other wolves nearby? Was the driver an 85 year old women? The point of the headline should have been the dead wolf, not that the driver went elsewhere to make the call and file the report as required by law.

Jul 11th - 03:28am | Rick B.

What part of "Park rangers discovered the dead wolf lying in the road at 11:45 p.m. and later received a call from the driver" doesn't sound like there was no driver found at the scene? Kurt isn't a tabloid headline writer.

Jul 11th - 00:16am | sunsetryder

Why the sensationalized "hit and run driver" headline? If you have accurately outlined the reporting requirements, I believe the driver followed the letter and spirit of the law. Lot of gaps in your reporting to support a headline like that. Saying that a wolf was killed on a Yellowstone NP highway would have more accurately described the occurrence.

Op-Ed| SOS--Saving Our (National Park) System

Jul 11th - 13:09pm | Rick B.

I've noticed the same disparity, Eric, and have also noticed that the times can be similarly different. It'll work out.

Jul 11th - 09:28am | ecbuck

Kurt - see the comment on this thread after yours. In the "Recent Comments" widget it shows Harry's name but the post itself only says "anonymous". Real time the connection isn't too hard to make. After the fact the link is harder to make. Not complaining, just noting.

Jul 11th - 08:24am | Harry Butowsky

Great discussion and many wonderful comments. I hope Director Jarvis and his staff is reading these comments.

Jul 10th - 18:57pm | Kurt Repanshek

Folks, if you have an account, you're only signed in as "anonymous" if you post a comment without first logging into the system.

Jul 10th - 18:46pm | Anonymous

Just returning from Yellowstone so missed a lot of comments. Catching up is a little difficult in the new format with even registered users being signed as anonymous. Nevertheless the most recent "anonymous" post seems to hit the nail on the head.

Jul 10th - 11:19am | Anonymous

I'm a current Division Chief within the NPS. I hold the NPS and the National Park idea in high esteem. The reality on the ground is that staffing, resources, time and energy are increasing scarce within the parks.

Jul 9th - 22:00pm | Lee Dalton

Excellent comment, Ron. But as I read these comments --- all of them --- every one of them contains some nuggets of truth. Truths that all contribute in some way to the mess we have built for ourselves.

Jul 9th - 18:41pm | Alfred Runte

Hi Rick,

Jul 9th - 18:41pm | Rick B.

"Spoken like a true democrat" - you say that like it's something to be ashamed of. I was a republican, then an apolitical, then a democrat, and now consider myself a non-aligned progressive.

Trails I've Hiked: A Trio Of Watery Jewels At Rocky Mountain National Park

Jul 11th - 10:53am | JeanBjerke

I'm enjoying your articles on a few of the trails in RMNP. Haven't been there since I was a child and don't remember much. We plan a trip in August with a photographer friend who used to live in Colorado and she put the hike to Dream Lake at dawn on the top of her list of places we must go!

Exploring The Parks: Cedar Breaks National Monument In Summer

Jul 11th - 07:57am | Jim Burnett

Cedar Breaks is another of those "under the radar" gems that deserve a visit. If you plan to do any hiking, just pace yourself. With most locations in the park at an elevation of over 10,000 feet, this scenery will literally "take your breath away" :-)

Jul 10th - 19:46pm | Megaera

We visited it when I was a small child, and it's on my list of places to return to, especially now that the wildflowers have been brought to my attention.

A Great Winter Escape: The Willow Public Use Cabin At Kenai Fjords National Park

Jul 10th - 20:21pm | Matthew Quaid

Please call me at 907-441-1232 as soon as you start taking reservations for Feb 2016, I would love to visit the cabin with my wife, it has been on our list for years. Sincerely, Matthew Quaid 907-441-1232 www.greatnorthernimages.com

A Few Musings From An Increasingly Dusty Lake Mead National Recreation Area

Jul 10th - 13:36pm | Jim Burnett

I agree there seems to be room for improvements in conservation of water in places like Las Vegas.

Jul 10th - 12:27pm | Becki

What about the recreation the water provides at Lake Powell? Maybe if we had less fountains and pools in Las Vegas and shortened our daily showers a bit both lakes could be there for our enjoyment.

Reader Survey Day: What Are The Top 5 National Park Lodges

Jul 10th - 10:41am | Alfred Runte

I can't resist reminding everyone of how many of their choices are railroad lodges--built in the grand old era of parkitecture, when America's railroads strove for greatness. But yes, I, too, will pick a favorite, which would be the North Rim's Grand Canyon Lodge. What an incredible building set down lovingly beside an incredible view.

Night View From Mount Rushmore National Memorial

Jul 10th - 10:03am | Barb Irons

For many years as a child we would drive to Minnesota from California. That was in the early 60's and 70's.

National Parks Traveler's Essential Park Guide