You are here

All Recent Comments

President Trump's Freeze On Federal Hiring Will Impact National Parks

Jan 25th - 08:57am | Lee Dalton

"conservatives doen't hate helping people.  They hate the federal government taking their money and spending it in ways that were not authorized by the Constitution and that don't actually "help" the people.  " But they certainly don't mind taking it whenever they can find a way to get some of it.

Jan 25th - 08:54am | ecbuck

Rick, conservatives doen't hate helping people.  They hate the federal government taking their money and spending it in ways that were not authorized by the Constitution and that don't actually "help" the people.

Jan 25th - 08:43am | Lee Dalton

I've watched many hours of Senate hearings on cabinet nominees.  I've heard a lot of dodging and skipping around pointed questions from one side and a lot of lavish praise from the other. The more I see and hear, the more worried I become.

Jan 25th - 06:52am | hgrate

No, it is not an opinion, ecbuck, it is an actual fact based on studies of previous federal hiring freezes. It is true others have a different opinion, but it is just that, opinion not based on actual facts.

Jan 24th - 23:47pm | Rick B.

Oooooh - "ENTITLEMENTS".  Makes it sound like a baby looking for a free lollipop.

Jan 24th - 23:01pm | tomp2

[To be clear, I'm not an NPS official.  This is just one (my) view and gaming out from the trenches.]

Jan 24th - 21:47pm | Gary Wilson

Beachdump... I see you're still stuck in a state of delusions.  By the way dumbdump, it's the 7th warmest january from global mean temps on record so far.

Jan 24th - 21:43pm | Angela Caldera

Kathryn, a few years ago I did research on foreign national parks.  The goal was to find out what these foreign national parks charged their foreign visitors.  Africa, Australia and others had different tiers of admission price.

Jan 24th - 21:21pm | beachdumb

News this morning that the DJT administration has put a gag order on the Environmental Protection Agency. One part of ending the climate change scam and disinfection of progressives from our government. Go Trump Go!

Jan 24th - 20:23pm | pscansetzer

Pay to play......I love the national parks!  I would pay fees in ALL the parks to see.  If our parks became self-sufficent then this would be a moot point.

Jan 24th - 17:53pm | ecbuck

On the whole past hiring freezes (Carter and Reagan) were dismal failures.

Jan 24th - 17:32pm | Happy to be retired

On the whole past hiring freezes (Carter and Reagan) were dismal failures. They did not lead to dramatic decreases in Federal employees nor did they save a damn dime in the long run. They do, of course, make good political optics.

Jan 24th - 15:39pm | Shelley

i thought he was all about jobs! Liars dont know the truth or how their actions will impact society!

Jan 24th - 15:36pm | ecbuck

Yes Rouge, the programs are popular.  Who doesn't like a freebee.  But as popular as they may be, they are unsustainable.  Reagan's term may have seen a increase equivalent to the prior 27 years, Obama's saw an increase equivalent to the prior 200 years, including the eight of Reagan's.  Further, spending was not cut during Reagan's years.

Jan 24th - 14:35pm | Rouge Ranger

I hope you understand that the majority of federal programs are incredibly popular. People just hate the idea of a government because it makes them feel like children. However, it works.

Jan 24th - 14:26pm | Lee Dalton

News this morning that the DJT administration has put a gag order on the Environmental Protection Agency. http://www.sltrib.com/home/4858011-155/trump-admin-orders-epa-media-blac...

Jan 24th - 12:48pm | RickyAZ

Below is Forbes' 2014 list of the richest counties in America: Falls Church City, Va. Loudoun County, Va. Los Alamos County, N.M. Howard County, Md. Fairfax County, Va. Hunterdon County, N.J. Arlington County, Va. Douglas County, Colo. Stafford County, Va. Somerset County, N.J. Hunger Games redux

Jan 24th - 12:40pm | Mich

My comment is not directed to todays news but to how to meet the costs of maintaining our national parks. I have always felt the admission fee to our NATIONAL Parks is too low.  $25 for a car to enter Grand Canyon!  Raise the fees and then you can pay our park staff a good living wage.  Eliminate free access to Seniors.

Jan 24th - 12:22pm | ecbuck

Seasonal - my bet, you will get your seasonal hires.

Jan 24th - 12:03pm | canyonvillageye...

people should work in a park to understand the shortages---the w=NPS workers are a refection of the U.S. now it wil turn the parks into a disgrace. Yes I worked there

Jan 24th - 11:57am | Seasonal staff

When your sitting on a dirty seat in the outhouse and the trash is overflowing you will remember why we need staff.  Protect are most beautiful places and keep America Great Trump!

Jan 24th - 11:31am | ecbuck

Anon - Defense is one of the designated powers.  Our current defense spending is near record lows as a % of GDP while entitlement spending - a non-desginated power - is at record highs and massively exceeds military spending.  Could our defense money be spent better - yes.  Should foreign governments pick up a bigger share of overall defense spending -yes.

Jan 24th - 10:39am | Outdoorsman

I think we are looking for the same thing, as I agree it is time to start looking at the whole picture, not just part of it.  My analogy to football season was used to show that there is not a need for full funding of certain programs all the time, but that we need to justify that we are spending our money on the right things at the right time.

Jan 24th - 10:25am | Alfred Runte

For those of you who have never seen it, I highly recommend this site: http://www.usdebtclock.org/#

Jan 24th - 10:18am | Outdoorsman

While it is true that the entire federal government needs a huge audit to look for wasteful spending and unwise practices, people need to think of the park system as a large university and think of themselves as groundskeepers for the football field.  During much of the year, maintenance on the field is light to moderate as the field has light to moderate use.

Jan 24th - 10:00am | Anonymous

The largest budget item is military spending.  If there's some where to cut look there.   Don't forget these jobs are just as important as manufacturing jobs, especially for the people who are going to lose them.

Jan 24th - 09:53am | Anne Y

I am sympathetic to the NPS. National Park visitation rates have increased dramatically. It's an affordable vacation for domestic travellers AND international. http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/17/travel/national-park-service-record-visits...

Jan 24th - 09:42am | ecbuck

Tahoma, executive branch employment did grow about 14,000 jobs during the Obama administration.   You might not call that dramatic but there was growth.  But the real point is this a first step toward reducing the size of the government.  It does fall short in one respect however.

Jan 24th - 09:29am | Lee Dalton

Ban foreign visitors from our parks? Our parks may well be the best ambassadors we have.

Jan 24th - 09:17am | CSE

In my opinion. I love travelling and I also love nature. If i am going to another country I would love to experience their parks, nature, and different scosystems. I would be very upset if they said "sorry your not a citizen you cannot experience this beautiful section of the earth". All people should have to rights to experience and learn about all of OUR Earth.

Jan 24th - 08:59am | tahoma

More "alternative facts" from the White House:

Jan 24th - 08:24am | ecbuck

L - Our country is a different place but the basic principles of its founding and the existence of our inalienable rights haven't.  They are just as applicable today as they were then.

Jan 24th - 06:17am | beachdumb

Wow, the drama queens and fear mongering. A fire fighter will be exempt.

Newfound Gap Road In Great Smoky Mountains National Park Being Considered For National Scenic Byway Designation

Jan 25th - 08:54am | Lee Dalton

Wow.  The Great American Entitlement Mentality is on full display here today.  (But I'm puzzled because I see no mention of fees in either the article here or in the planning documents linked to the article.) But get ready -- there may be a lot of fees coming to other facilities near you.

Jan 25th - 08:19am | ScottF

My wife and I travel National Scenic Byways every chance we get.  None of the ones in Texas, Oklahoma, or Arkansas charge any kindividual of fee, though there is sometimes a small fee for camping in the developed campgrounds.     Do they charge to drive the Scenic Byways elsewhere?

Jan 25th - 08:06am | Jo

I thought the Great Smoky Mountains should ALWAYS be free for the people to enjoy!! First the Backcountry fee and now this!!! Just say NO to any more fees!!!

Jan 25th - 06:20am | [email protected]

Been going on vacation in the Great Smokey Mountainso for years!! Can't believe that they would charge for it now!!!!!!!!

Jan 25th - 04:52am | Nancy

Please stop making it so difficult for people to enjoy our beautiful land!

Jan 25th - 03:59am | Linda Braithwaite

.  Anytime government tries to improve something they screw it up!! It's perfect now.  Leave it alone! !

Jan 24th - 21:03pm | The Watcher

"No toll or license fee shall ever be imposed by the United States of America or any Agency.."   NO MEANS NO!

Jan 24th - 20:58pm | Beverly Trent Q...

Hopefully Senator Alexander doesn't want his legacy remembered by Tennesseans  as being  one of  taking  public lands from the people of his state  and country.

Jan 24th - 20:35pm | Mills

Cash should be fired over the Chimney Tops Fire, he's been nothing but destructive to East Tennessee Values and Our Way of Life.    The Great Smoky Mountain National Park will be FOREVER FREE!!!

Jan 24th - 20:11pm | SmokiesBackpacker

This is how Ca$h and Lamar have figured to get around the deed restriction on Newfound Gap road so they can start charging an entrance fee.  Very clever, Ca$h.  But we are going to remind you that the 1952 deed prohibits that road from ever incurring a toll or user fee.  You will get a fight if you try this.  Be prepared.

83rd Annual Civilian Conservation Corps Reunion At Shenandoah National Park

Jan 25th - 05:34am | Diane Shelton L...

My dad was in the CCC. Is there a history of the workers?

Coalition To Protect America's National Parks Has List Of Suggestions For Trump Administration

Jan 25th - 03:57am | Danny Bernstein

$100 a year?If every "national park lover" would send $100 to the friends group of their closest park, imagine the message that Congress would get.Note that I didn't say necessarily your "favorite park" but  your closest park unit.Danny Bernstein

Jan 24th - 22:57pm | tomp2

The Gibbons--

Jan 24th - 19:12pm | The Gibbons'

Just a few suggestions below:  I think the American public can and should get involved with this effort.  Our National Parks, Historic Sites, Recreation Areas, etc. are the "jewels" of our country.

Black Powder Demonstrations Coming To Gulf Islands National Seashore

Jan 25th - 01:26am | Mike Lawrence

Back in the mid 1980s I gave Black Powder Musket firing demo at Fort Pickens

Donation Helps Virgin Islands National Park Grow By Nearly 12 Acres

Jan 24th - 20:10pm | justinh

More great news!  Really great park.

Work Continuing On Restoration of Bodie Island Lighthouse At Cape Hatteras National Seashore

Jan 24th - 07:57am | Teri

Does anyone know how to get hold of architectural plans of the lighthouse? I'm building a model of it

National Parks Traveler's Essential Park Guide