You are here

All Recent Comments

Delaware North Companies Sues United States Over Loss Of Yosemite National Park Contract

Sep 24th - 15:54pm | Alfred Runte

Now you see what I miss about the railroads. They had class.

Musings From Klondike Gold Rush National Historical Park

Sep 24th - 11:55am | MN born, Skagwa...

How sad, another tourist comes to our town, never leaves the one street consisting of 6 blocks of the tourism area (we are 23 block by 4 blocks), and thinks he knows what our beautiful alaskan community is like.  Did you hike our trails that hold beauty that is second to none?  did you visit our school that provides an iPad for ever single student?

Sep 23rd - 06:57am | Dimitra Lavrakas

Well, as a journalist, I found your story about the town I lived in and was the town's editor for six years, snarky and missing of come important history. Skagway has always been a town where people come off of boats in droves, if as a Parkie you know the town's history. During the gold ruch toruists came to just watch the stampede, and yes, ride the train.

Sep 19th - 10:26am | Rick B.

We did the bush plane flight 'over the top' when we went to Gustavus a few months ago, and everything about the trip was wonderful. Glad you got some of the fever.

Sep 19th - 08:32am | Lee Dalton

Thanks, Rick.  This was my first experience in Alaska and even with Skagway, it was incredibly astonishing.  I want very much to return soon.  When I do, I may even include Skagway and may stay longer than just 24 hours.  I didn't make it to Dyea, I didn't go looking for Orcas or humpbacks or salmon, I didn't do any real hiking, and honestly, I didn't really carefully explor

Sep 18th - 23:47pm | Rick B.

Lee - you're right, of course, but there is a lot more there for those who persevere to avoid the traps. I've got a wonky connection tonight and this is the fourth time I've tried to reply to you.

Sep 18th - 22:51pm | Lee Dalton

Yes, Rick, I knew you were going to be gone.  Otherwise I'd have hunted you down.  Sure would be fun to meet you in person.

Sep 18th - 22:16pm | Rick B.

Lee - I wish I'd still been there to buy you  cuppa, but I left the end of July for NOCA.

Sep 18th - 19:31pm | Lee Dalton

I'm sincerely curious, Mega, what was it like then?

Sep 18th - 19:11pm | Megaera

It sounds like Skagway has changed drastically since I was last there in 1973, before the Klondike National Historic Site even existed.  I'm sorry to hear it.  The trip we made that year piqued my interest in the gold rush, and, forty years later, I wound up writing a novel set in that time and place.

New Bridge Coming To Tie Outer Banks Together

Sep 24th - 10:58am | Buxton

SELC is a wonderful conservation organization with dedicated lawyers and staff. Their advocacy in trying to stop an ill conceived plan of bridges on a national wildlife refuge was commendable. The state's plan called for 2 additional bridges to be built on the refugee, keeping the refugee in a perpetual state of construction for 10 to 20 years.

Sep 22nd - 14:42pm | Doyer Research

Ocracoke Island is only accessible by ferry.

Sep 21st - 15:07pm | hatrasfevr

The SELC (Southern Environmental Law Center) is responsible for at least 10 years of litigation and tens of millions of dollars spent at their law firm opposing the bridge replacement in the name of saving the birds of Pea Island NWR into which the bridge returns people to land on highway 12 in NC.

Take To The Open Road On The Natchez Trace Parkway This Fall

Sep 24th - 09:45am | John Harrison

It starts in Natchez dummy NOT Nashville,,, study just a little History,,, They came down the river and traveled UP the trace.

National Park Slot Canyons Are Alluring, But Also Deady

Sep 22nd - 13:33pm | Nancy DeYoung

was there several years ago and it is an eerie feeling...the high walls and unsure footing of rocks and river stones ...the Rangers all over the Park Service DO tell people of the rules and has always amazed me how people think it will never happen to them. This area is not can be warm and sunny and in seconds you can be swept up and banged against the walls.

Sep 20th - 08:24am | Lee Dalton

The video is spectacular.  But we need to note that its location WAS NOT IN THE NARROWS.  This was actually right at the end of the paved  Gateway to the Narrows Trail.  The Narrows themselves are about a mile upstream.  I hope they gave the park service a copy and that it will be used in some way to try to educate visitors.

National Park management

Sep 22nd - 11:34am | Ray Bane

Mackie, Thanks again for the book reference.  I have been reading it for the past few days and find it captivating.  I can related to some of the writer's experiences, especially the intrusion of politics into the managment process.

Sep 18th - 21:27pm | rmackie

Thank you Ray for an informative post. In my own limited experience I must agree.

Sep 18th - 21:09pm | Ray Bane

Regardless of whatever they may be called, the primary issues remain implementation and accountability.  My first NPS career job was as an environmental planner working as an assistant to John Kauffmann, Chief Planner for what eventually became Gates of the Arctic National Park and Preserve.

Sep 18th - 13:54pm | Kurt Repanshek

That's not entirely true, as evidenced by the just-released GMP for Everglades and the one a bit earlier this year for Biscayne NP. And Ozark National Scenic Riverways produced a GMP recently, too, I believe. But more and more Foundation documents are appearing.

Sep 18th - 13:51pm | Anonymous

The NPS is no longer doing GMP's. They now do a Foundation document instead.

Sep 17th - 22:06pm | Ray Bane

Thanks for the feedback, Mackie.  I definitely will try to get Binnewies book.  In re: to park GMPs and other plans being shelved, sadly I have to agree.  The Park Service is required to formulate plans - but it they are not required to implement them.

Sep 17th - 21:26pm | Nature Jane

There is a lot to chew on here, particularly in terms of reference over the decades. How do these definitions and guiding policies play out on the nps ground currently?

Sep 17th - 21:10pm | rmackie

Nice post Ray. My own limid experience with long term planning processes is that, after all the effort, they tend to get shelved. Yosemite's GMPs are a classic example. The politics behind these efforts are interesting, the best book I have read on the subject, at least for Yosemite, is "Your Yosemite" by Bob Binnewies. I think you would find it very interesting.

Sep 17th - 18:26pm | Ray Bane

There are a host of guidelines that park managers can use when faced with the need to make a management decision.  Most have been referred to by other commenters.  However, of them all the park General Management Plan (GMP) should be at the top of the list.  Each park is required to produce a comprehensive GMP that is intended to be the prime management guideline.

Updated: Man Shoots Sea Turtle With Speargun At Cape Hatteras National Seashore

Sep 21st - 15:29pm | John Madert

The public is only interested in the apprehension of this loser.  If it's a federal crime, get the FBI involved.

Photography In The National Parks: Your Armchair Guide To Arches National Park – Part 1

Sep 21st - 10:43am | Rene

Great pictures.  Arches is one of our stops on the Southwest Field Trip.  Nice to see it with snow dusting.  Amazingly good coverage an yert no pictures of arches.

Rabid Deer Charges Chesapeake & Ohio Canal Historical Park Ranger

Sep 21st - 09:53am | Get Bats Out

Rabies is a very serious illness. Bats get a bad rap however. Only between 3-5% of bats have rabies. But when in doubt, leave it alone.

Black Bear Put Down At Glacier National Park

Sep 20th - 22:26pm | Ray Bane

"Why not set up feeding stations in locations (away from human activity) where bears would normally find berries etc.? It would supplement in times of low berry production & help prevent the bears 'intrusion' into populated areas," Anonymous.

Sep 20th - 17:22pm | Ray Bane

This sad tale highlights some important concerns of managing the interface of people and wildlife in the parks.  A bear or other wildlife that seems docile or even "tame" around humans is still fundementally a wild animal and should be treated with respect and caution.  The more we intrude on wildlife habitat the greater the possibility of unfortunate conflicts taking place.

Sep 19th - 14:39pm | Melanie

Why not set up feeding stations in locations (away from human activity) where bears would normally find berries etc.? It would supplement in times of low berry production & help prevent the bears 'intrusion' into populated areas.

Fire Island National Seashore Officials Searching For How Best To Manage Breach

Sep 20th - 19:03pm | Kevin roden

thank you, keeping the breach seems to be a great idea the bay is definitely cleaner

Sep 17th - 23:25pm | New old guy

Only a Fool would try to manage Mother Nature. !

Sep 17th - 06:53am | jan shannon

let it be mother nature is best at managing the earth and the needs for future generations.

Pacific Northwest National Scenic Trail To Stretch From Glacier To Olympic

Sep 20th - 14:52pm | Random Walker

Time to spend a winter planning!Professional cartographer Ted Hitzroth thru-hiked the Trail in 1983 and has annually updated his maps ever since.  His current version is available at the link below for free download if you wish to print his excellent maps yourself.

Around The National Park System: Vandalism, Record Visitation, Possible New "Parks"

Sep 20th - 08:28am | Lee Dalton

Agreed, wild.  But what do we do about it when they insist on vandalizing our parks through neglect and political game playing? Maybe be careful about who we vote for?

Sep 20th - 02:51am | Rick B.

I just don't understand why it is taking so long to take action in the vandalism case. Can anyone share insight?

Sep 19th - 16:44pm | wild places

I see those horrible republican congress critters are at it again. Sorry, I just couldn't resist.

Names Of Canyoneers Drowned At Zion National Park Released

Sep 20th - 00:45am | Sam Walton

They may be gone but they lived doing what they love. Although they will be missed dearly, their lives are a tribute to really living, which takes great courage. Being afraid and not taking chances in life is not really living at all. Do as they do follow your dreams and love what you do.

Sep 18th - 10:38am | Doug Rich

A job well done by the rescuers from all the agencies.  A tragic incident for sure but at least the families have closure and all the parties have been recovered.

Joppa Church Open For Day-Use Only At Mammoth Cave National Park

Sep 19th - 11:27am | Kurt Repanshek

I do believe the supports were added much, much later, Lee. Why they left them in place...perhaps it was cheaper than a more intensive rehabilitation to keep the church standing.

Sep 19th - 08:36am | Lee Dalton

A question --- were those large braces part of the original church?  I can understand what they are supposed to do, but why are they there? (Sorry, I guess that was actually two questions.)

Video Shows How Climate Change Is Impacting Glacier National Park

Sep 19th - 10:27am | Steve Nelson

This is a nice video.  The ranger in the video is Bob Schuster, who has been working summers at Glacier since 1967.  I had the pleasure of being a member of his hiking groups and attending his lectures in 2009 and 2010, and apparently he is still going strong (and stronger than me at his more advanced age).  He works at Many Galcier, where the daily hike starts for the Grinnell G

Young Woman Dies After Being Submerged in Firehole River in Yellowstone National Park

Sep 19th - 02:47am | YoungPatty

Same thing happened to me.  I was young and extremely foolish back in 1973.  I joined many visitors in jumping off the cliff at the "swimming hole."  But then it rained for 4 or 5 days.  We went back and the river was so much stronger.  My friends warned me.  Like an idiot, I went ahead and body surfed through the canyon all by myself, out of view.  Whooosh!

Body Of 7th Canyoneer Found At Zion National Park

Sep 17th - 22:55pm | Peyton Manning

can't expect the park to go after them just because a flash flood warning was issued

Sep 17th - 19:16pm | Anonymous

Flash Flood Warning was issued at approx 2:00 PM, not at 9-10 AM.

Sep 17th - 15:48pm | BruinBelle

Permit was issued~7:30am, FlashFloodWarning issued~9-10am-FlashFlood occured~LateAfternoon/EarlyEvening; Knowing how deadly FlashFloods can be in the canyon, ParkAuthorities can certainly obtain an immediate helicopter warning in the afternoon hours?

Sep 17th - 14:45pm | Carol Barnes

Knowing how dangerous the slot canyons can be in AZ and UT .. I can't believe a tour compNy would take that chance. I know I never would, cuz death by drowning is my worst nightmare. When we were at Zion a few years ago, I climbed Angels Landing with no fear, but could only wade in the Virgin River till I was knee deep.

Update 3: Flash Floods Kill At Least Six In Zion National Park, One Missing

Sep 17th - 15:05pm | ray schwartz

This group was already in the canyon when a flash flood warning led park officials to announce they were closing their canyons. By that time, park officials say, there was no way to alert them to the violent floodwaters coming their way

How To Make The National Park Service Centennial A Happy Birthday

Sep 17th - 11:37am | Rebecca Latson ...

I'm all for Lee Dalton's suggestion of respecting the parks and those who staff it.  I wonder how many people actually stop and think about that.  I try to pick up after others, but I admit to forgetting about thanking those people who clean up after *me* as well as others, and who are there to provide assistance and information.

National Parks Traveler's Essential Park Guide