You are here

All Recent Comments

Traveler Special Report: Separating Oil And Water At Big Cypress National Preserve

Jun 5th - 18:49pm | ecbuck

What is in the long term interest of the American people and future generations, some oil and gas now or the preservation of a unique wilderness with all of its associated wildlife for future generations. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

Jun 5th - 18:49pm | ecbuck

Jun 5th - 17:11pm | Theodore Roosevelt

My good friend Mr. Muir is right. Here is what I would do--and what President Obama should do. I would declare Big Cypress a national monument, advancing its status well past a preserve. The special interests would howl and the public would love it! Didn't I read just last week that Congress is down to a four percent approval rating? Four percent?

Jun 5th - 16:41pm | Lee Dalton

What we REALLY need to know is exactly where the political pressure driving this is coming from.  It's an awfully safe bet that this is NOT a decision made at the local level as it appears some would have us believe.  This is coming from somewhere much, much higher than the preserve's superintendent.  They are receiving pressure from somewhere.

Jun 5th - 16:39pm | John Muir

Nothing dollarable is safe, however guarded.

Jun 5th - 14:58pm | rmackie

Agree Harry, this is not good, so'm embody at the higher loo level caved on this.

Jun 5th - 14:33pm | Harryb3570

This is the first time I have learned about this issue but I must say the facts of the case as presented by the article are troubling. While Big Crypress National Preserve is not a National Park but it does contain natural resources and habitat that are irreplaceable.

Public To Decide How $2 Million In Grants Will Be Split Among National Parks

Jun 5th - 18:46pm | ecbuck

Perhaps the NPS could get Coca Cola or some other corporation  to match the money? Now there is an original idea.  This is already private money.

Jun 5th - 15:02pm | Mike Painter

This sounds like a gimmick ...

Jun 5th - 14:43pm | Harryb3570

$2 million in grants to preserve historic sites is less than nothing. The maintenance backlog is $12 Billion and $2 million will not solve this problem. This is just a PR exercise to get people to believe that they have a say in the preservation of our park historic resources. The exercise has no meaning because the money is so small.

National Park Basics For RVing Newbies

Jun 5th - 17:26pm | Lu

I learned the hard way in a New Mexico campground :(

National Parks: Going To The Dogs!

Jun 4th - 15:32pm | Anonymous158

Your bias is obvious and overlooks some valid points.  I personally witnessed a dog off leash in YNP catch and kill an animal.  Everyone except the owner was angry, he just roared off in his vehicle like nothing happened.  You also are overlooking the fact that your pet can be injured or killed by wildlife.

Fatal Fall from Angels Landing in Zion National Park

Jun 3rd - 23:02pm | Timm

Angel's Landing is one of the most magnificent hikes in our national parks, when you factor in the spectacular view, dizzying heights, trail variety, and danger factor. I've hiked it many times and hope they keep it open.

OIG: National Park Service Director Skirted Ethics Office In Writing Book, Reprimanded

Jun 3rd - 22:44pm | Al Keali'i Chock

I retired 24 years ago after38 years of (US) Civil & Foreign Service.  My first Federal job, as a seasonal Ranger-Naturalist, GS-4, was one of most enjoyable ones.

Hillary Clinton Wants To Create An American Parks Trust Fund

Jun 3rd - 18:20pm | Gary Wilson

"Same people" "Name Calling" "Ad Hominen Attacks" "Freeloader" "Entitlement Mentality". May I suggest a mirror since self-awareness isn't one of your strong suits?

Jun 3rd - 14:11pm | Rick Smith

Backpacker--for once, I totally agree with you.  It does get tiresome.

Jun 3rd - 11:33am | SmokiesBackpacker

Kurt, it is always the same people with the same name calling of other contributors. The ad hominem attacks are so tirelessly predictable. I know that you are being very diplomatic but some of these same folks have been tossed off other forums for the same behavior.  Just sayin....   Perhaps you could consider requiring that folks donate to NPT for the ability to post here.

Jun 3rd - 10:51am | Kurt Repanshek

C'mon folks, please don't cast aspersions about...

Jun 3rd - 10:48am | Rick B.

You don't have what it takes to be my boss, my wife, my professor, or anything else. Why I would answer to someone stuck in junior high school debate society is beyond me. What is deafening is my mostly trying to ignore you for the sad troll you are.

Jun 3rd - 07:46am | ecbuck

Trying to blame the NPS for all this is a false assumption. I haven't "blamed" the NPS for anything on this thread.  In this case the blame would squarely land on the shoulders of Hillary Clinton and anyone that agreed to pursue her "various groups" agenda.

Jun 2nd - 22:04pm | Rick B.

I agree with you, NAC.

Jun 2nd - 22:00pm | Lee Dalton

Trying to blame the NPS for all this is a false assumption.  In every case when a new area is proposed for inclusion, it is not the NPS where the idea originates.  Instead pressure begins with some group of people who have some kind of special interest for whatever reason in a particular area.

Jun 2nd - 20:21pm | ecbuck

NAC - look at the words.  "Preserves" not "creates".  "Cultures" not "various groups".  It says nothing about a "fair representation".  If there is a cultural resource that deserves and warrants preservation and can't get it any other way, OK.  But the NPS has no business identifying a culture or group and then looking for something to preserve.

Jun 2nd - 20:07pm | rmackie

Agree Alfred, the part on renewables bothered me also.

Jun 2nd - 17:09pm | Not A Conservative

Jun 2nd - 15:09pm | ecbuck

Fund the parks properly and be done with it. Yep - just print more money. Who cares you are bankrupting our kids and grandkids.

Jun 2nd - 15:04pm | Lee Dalton

Yeah, but have you ever heard of a floppy disk being hacked? Alfred is right.  Fund the parks properly and be done with it.

Jun 2nd - 13:58pm | Alfred Runte

This is the part that worries me: The Democratic presidential candidate on Wednesday released the six-point plan, which also calls for revitalizing city parks, doubling the size of the outdoor economy over the next decade, and overseeing a "ten-fold increase in renewable energy production on public lands and waters within ten years."

Jun 2nd - 11:23am | ecbuck

Maybe by cutting Congressional pork at the Pentagon?

Jun 2nd - 10:14am | Lee Dalton

"Of course the biggest question is how will this be funded?  " Maybe by cutting Congressional pork at the Pentagon?

Jun 2nd - 09:35am | ecbuck

I don't have a problem with a Trust Fund and until the last two paragraphs, I agree with its mission.  It is not the mission of the NPS to " touch various groups and cultures not already represented in the system."  Of course the biggest question is how will this be funded?

Jun 2nd - 09:34am | Todd N

You're funny

Jun 2nd - 08:56am | Danny Wells

More liberal b.s.!

Yellowstone National Park Releases Its Own App

Jun 2nd - 17:15pm | Not A Conservative

Though this app isn't the most outstanding example in the Apple app store today...it really is fairly impressive with features that will be useful without being too bloated.

Traveler Poll: Should President Obama Designate A National Monument In Maine's North Woods?

Jun 2nd - 16:56pm | ecbuck

In fact, one of the prime arguments that opponents use to oppose the park idea is that it is "cut-over" forest that is nothing special.  And one the primary arguments for it is that it is "the wildest unprotected lands in the Northern Forest" that needs to be preserved.

Jun 2nd - 16:38pm | Michael Kellett

EC, Sorry Michael,  I have walked through these lands and find them far from degraded.   If that is her goal, prevent degradation, she can put the land in a trust, let her endowment fund it and prevent any of the activities you fear.  No need to get the feds involved at all.

Jun 1st - 17:06pm | ecbuck

few people want to visit a "working" landscape degraded by logging, logging roads, and other industrial activities.

Jun 1st - 16:01pm | Michael Kellett

EC, There would be no roads, no campgrounds, no bath and shower facilities?  No visitor centers, no museums, no cafeterias?  It would indeed be a unique unit of the NPS system.

The Real Story About The Bison Calf That Took A Ride In The Car

Jun 2nd - 11:14am | Mike Wood

I understand your point about the natural order of life but this calf could have been relocated. I would imagine 100s of people would have raised the calf. I don't like government as it is and Im sure they did not tell us the truth about the calf just like they did not tell the truth about the bear Scare Face death.  I'm just hate excuses.

Reflecting on America’s Great Outdoors: Persistent Challenges And Enduring Recommendations

Jun 2nd - 10:21am | Lee Dalton

A lot of food for thought here.  It all seems to come back to one basic foundational question, though. Are Americans willing to actually pay for the services and quality of life we want to have?

Should Anything Be Done With Angel's Landing?

Jun 2nd - 04:33am | Neil G. Barclay

Comparing Angel's Landing with the other "dangerous" places mentioned is not addressing the primary criteria.  Angel's Landing kills more people per year than any of the other trails, in Zion or elsewhere.  It is the frequency of deaths that is the issue.  Regarding which point, the thing to do is what I've advocated for years: close that damn trail.  The Park closed the tra

Oil Refinery CEO: Once Opponents Learn More, They'll Be "A Little Bit More Relaxed"

Jun 1st - 23:43pm | gaynor henry

I am in love with TRNP. The horses, the bison, the deer and other wildlife. I simply cannot believe that this is being considered much less allowed. How long before there is a leak? How long before that stench invades the lungs of every human and animal? Has there even been a lont-term environmental impact study done??? I am beyond appalled.

Great Smoky Mountains Proposes Fee Increases For Campgrounds, Pavilions

Jun 1st - 21:18pm | asisson

Have we forgotten what the NPS and our National Parks were founded on?  I do not have any sympathy for the GSMNP and their justification of needing more fees for the front country camping.  I just filled out a comment opposing this increase.

Jun 1st - 20:19pm | ecbuck

Jun 1st - 17:54pm | Rick B.

Just as with the current anti-intellectual bent of the more conservative politicians these days, I am concerned when I read of "so-called scientists" or "science" in bogie-man quote marks.

Jun 1st - 15:48pm | Anonymous

Tahoma, I think every major national park, should have biologists and resource managers.  Mount Rainier has a wide variety of flora, and fauna and those resources should be protected, and hence, resource management becomes a necessity.  There is no doubt in my mind a botonist is of great importance at Mt Rainier.

Jun 1st - 15:32pm | Kurt Repanshek

OK, c'mon guys, please don't get started.

Jun 1st - 15:32pm | Gary Wilson

LOL!  Yeah, right.  I have to laugh at Johnny Quillen (smokies hack) thinking he is a beneficiary to the park.  You have actually cost the park (and the taxpayers that fund it) quite a lot money in your lies, and trumped up conspiracies.  I'm willing to bet those frivilous lawsuits you like to file have cost taxpayers, as well as the park 10's if not over a hundred thousands

Two Dead, Four Saved After Fishing Boat Capsizes At Glacier Bay National Park

Jun 1st - 17:59pm | Rick B.

One of the last things we did before moving out of Alaska was a halibut/salmon fishing charter right in this area. I feel for everyone in this small community, and am comforted by the near-universal turnout of support from local folks, NPSers, Coast Guard, etc.

Jun 1st - 17:01pm | Ken McMullin

My heart felt prayers go out to the entire party.  I have fished on this boat and in the specific fishing hole near Strawberry.  I am sincerely impacted by this tragic event.

National Parks Traveler's Essential Park Guide