You are here

All Recent Comments

Utah Position On National Monuments Could Carry Dire Economic Impact To State

Feb 7th - 15:14pm | Lloyd S

Let the Gov know that you will not even consider a vacation there unless Utah rescinds its opposition to Bears Ears NM.

Feb 7th - 12:12pm | Lee Dalton

I have a sticker on the back of my truck that draws frequent thumbs up . . . . and so far it hasn't gathered any other signs. It says "DON'T ACT STUPID -- WE HAVE POLITICIANS FOR THAT"

Culled Gettysburg Deer Provide Nearly 8,500 Pounds Of Venison For Food Banks

Feb 7th - 13:32pm | M Carlson

This is the way all biology programs should be run instead of hunting.

Change In Administrations Puts Zion National Park In Bind Over Drilling Proposal

Feb 7th - 12:09pm | Lee Dalton

As is the case with many "roads" in Utah, the Salt Creek "road" is actually a live stream for almost all of its length.  It never has been a real road.

Feb 7th - 11:09am | RF

Is the entire length of the Salt Creek Road in environmentally sensitive areas?  Given that the road was in bad condition then why is it not possible to repair the road?  Maybe there is a way to place the road where it avoids the sensitive areas.  Some visitors do not have the energy or the time to hike the approximately 20 miles to the arch.

Feb 6th - 22:04pm | rmackie

I agree tomp2, thank you for the post.

Feb 6th - 21:44pm | tomp2

I'm not sure I understand your last sentence, Concerned Citizen, at least with respect to Angel Arch in Canyonlands.

Feb 6th - 07:49am | Concerned Citizen

So being a disabled vet how does one hike 20 miles to see a National Park treasure   The Parks are for all people and not just a few who are in good shape.  They are for the average person or family with small kids who may not be fit to hike 15-20 miles and be equippped camp out.

Feb 5th - 23:36pm | Lee Dalton

I drove in to Angel Arch several years before the area was closed.  Most of the route was actually IN the creek.  Where it was on land, the landscape had been badly torn up in places where people had driven around, instead of through, wet and muddy spots.  I camped out there and took a cooling dip in the creek only to find an oil slick on the water.  (Some of it probably cam

Feb 5th - 21:59pm | wild places

I'm confused as to why park officials need guidance as to how to respond just because there is an administration change. Shouldn't they respond the same regardless of what administration is in place?

Feb 5th - 21:54pm | ecbuck

Thank you SUWA, for making this kind of thing possible for those who are still tough enough to make it. Wasn't it possible to hike it before if that is what you wanted to do?

Feb 5th - 21:54pm | James Robideau

The National Parks belong to all the people , please leave the them alone so all Americans can continue to enjoy for all time.

Feb 5th - 18:04pm | Joe Rossi

You're opposed to the idea of an arch that you have to out in some effort to see?

Feb 5th - 13:31pm | Bill Smith

You can thank SUWA for making a visit to Angel Arch a 20 mile round-trip hike instead of a short hike off the road.  These are the same people that did that.

National Park Basics For RVing Newbies

Feb 7th - 09:26am | SuZsZoo

I haven't seen the RV age restriction in Natl Parks, but have seen it in some campgrounds that are park adjacent.

Congressmen Wants To Restrict National Park Service Oversight Of Oil And Gas Development In Parks

Feb 7th - 00:26am | Joe Arman

"I am in complete agrement"

Feb 6th - 10:49am | Lee Dalton

An extremist is anyone who doesn't fully embrace the Republican and Trump agendas. Okay, then, chalk me up as one very proud extremist. In 1962 I was in a freedom march in Memphis led by Dr. King.

Feb 6th - 09:43am | Lecia Elzig

They are National Parks for a reason; to protect the natural majesty of our country for all future generations.  They should NOT be touched in any manner for profit and the NPS is the most appropriate agency to have oversite of this.  And btw, I am a 63 yr old retired police officer, NOT an extremist.

Wildfire Experts To Review Deadly Chimney Tops 2 Fire At Great Smoky Mountains National Park

Feb 5th - 17:05pm | beachdumb

http://timesmachine.nytimes.com/timesmachine/1938/10/09/99567062.html?pa... http://www.nifc.gov/fireInfo/nfn.htm

Feb 5th - 10:51am | rmackie

Thank you Gary for an informative post. I agree, a well conducted review will bring out the totality of the incident.

Feb 5th - 09:51am | Gary Wilson

Beach,  Can you point to where you are getting your "alternative facts".. .  We've been through this before, and that is not facts.   http://wildland-fires.findthedata.com

Feb 5th - 09:39am | Gary Wilson

Smokies,

Feb 5th - 09:34am | beachdumb

US wildfires are down 75% since the 1930's. In 1937, fires burned 22 million acres, compared to to 5 million this year. But the actual decline is much more than that, because the recent numbers include Alaska and the 1930's numbers didn't.

Feb 4th - 20:41pm | rmackie

Smokiesbackpacker, "Inferno by Committee" was extremely well researched. Tom Ribe had an extensive fire backgroud at the grass roots level plus. Tom documents the problems beginning with the ecological history of the area to the changes inherent in growth, sprawl, conflicting management policies, the human factor, could go on and on.

Feb 4th - 08:40am | SmokiesBackpacker

RMackie, We have no choice but to trust the panel.  I will look into the book.  Sounds like you have some experience on the subject.

Feb 3rd - 22:23pm | rmackie

I think Mr. Grubb should be contacted by the panel review team, his allegations are serious and should be investigated. A board of inquiry will be necessary, but lets give the review panel a chance, I do not believe they are just a bunch of yes men/women.  All those involved should be heard but due process needs to be followed.

Feb 3rd - 21:39pm | SmokiesBackpacker

Grubb also makes some serious allegations about the only fatal bear mauling in the Smokies and how they were directed not to respond as bears were feeding on a human.   The NPS here is crooked. https://www.facebook.com/backroomknox/posts/642586545866398

Feb 3rd - 21:32pm | SmokiesBackpacker

The difference now, Rick is that the agency has killed 14 people with their negligence.  And since I was there and you were not, I clearly saw a fire that looked like it could have been squelched from the air.  But since you don't believe me, how about one of your beloved NPS Rangers?

Feb 3rd - 20:25pm | Rick B.

That would be no more unbiased than the industry experts, who you call sycophants. Let's be really unbiased - pick people who have no past training or experience in fire fighting and have no relation to anyone with a financial or emotional investment. Do you know any of the current panel? Do you have any specific individual reason to impugn their ethics more than your NPS-hate?

Feb 3rd - 20:11pm | SmokiesBackpacker

How can you have a review from a hand picked panel of NPS sycophants?  You can't.  It needs to be a panel picked by someone other than the Superintendent in question.  It should be the citizens of Sevier County who lost loved ones, not the freaking NPS guy responsible.

Feb 3rd - 19:59pm | rmackie

It is important to give the review panel a chance to get the facts from a variety of sources. If we can keep some of the politics out of it, hard to do in these polarizing times, they will do a good job. Everyone involved, including the citizens of the community deserve due process. That takes some time and support.

Feb 3rd - 19:14pm | SmokiesBackpacker

Take a look at the makeup of the "review" panel.  The majority of them work for the Dept of Agriculture or Interior in some shape or form.  Cash has stacked the deck in his favor but it won't curtail the lawsuits likely coming. I was there. I saw the fire the day before it spread out of control.  Looks like it could have easily have been doused from the air.

Bypass Road Provides Access To Cape Point On Cape Hatteras National Seashore

Feb 5th - 05:34am | beachdumb

Rick, Ive known all along that anything you post doesn't mean anything.

Feb 4th - 13:37pm | Rick Smith

Beach--I have finally figured out that "unscientific" means anything you don't agree with.   This will help me understand your posts.

Feb 4th - 08:19am | beachdumb

Superintendent David Hallac is turning out to be a positive for the Cape Hatteras National Seashore Recreational Area. He is truly working to improve access for all. This bypass will allow safer Cape Point access but will likely be useless when the unscientific resource "protection" management starts in a few months.

Rainbow Trout Stocked At Lake Mead National Recreation Area

Feb 4th - 20:05pm | Becki Vowles

thank you Hildy Angius and all those you worked with to make this a reality.

Get To Know What Grizzlies Could Bring To The North Cascades

Feb 4th - 15:22pm | Bette Ford

Great information, especially for those of us who are planning a visit to national parks in the northwest.

Development of Valley Forge National Historical Park Inholding Gets Green Light from Planners

Feb 4th - 15:04pm | Jeni Hartleyy

I was looking for information on Pawlings Farm and came across this article. Please leave the beautiful area known as Pawlings Farm alone. It is such a quiet and beautiful place, a refuge from the chaotic and noisy world in which we find ourselves on a daily basis. To destroy this to put up a museum and information center would be a travesty.

2017 State Of The National Parks

Feb 4th - 12:11pm | Jerry G.

Harry, you are right on, of course, but given the capabilities exhibited by the current administration I fear NPS is in for a long and difficult four years.

Treasure Your National Park Visits With A Photo Album From Shutterfly

Feb 3rd - 19:01pm | Frank Rodriguez

Had a great time here at the puerto rico national park el morro

Poll Says Westerners Want Public Lands Protected, But Will It Matter?

Feb 3rd - 17:45pm | Rick B.

Kurt - I'm curious why FWS is so low. Is it mostly disgruntled hunters and fishermen? I always thought of them as a very benign resource protector.

Feb 3rd - 16:02pm | Rick B.

Not only realize it, Lee, but have the brass and the wherewithal to do something about it.

Feb 3rd - 12:05pm | rmackie

Traveler, thank you for an informative and interesting post.

Feb 3rd - 12:03pm | Lee Dalton

Yawn.  We all know the only thing that really counts in Washington now are those TV ratings. Truth?  Why bother? A few alternative facts do a great job of driving them up. I wonder how long it will be before some people begin to ask, "My God, what have we done?"  I also wonder if they will find the honesty needed to admit they made a YUGE mistake?

Feb 3rd - 11:22am | Glad2bretired

Beachguy:  Neither the left nor the right "own" fake news exclusively.   In my view, fake news is something knowingly false which is intended to deliberately mislead people.  I don't think your 6 examples are representative of this.

Feb 3rd - 11:12am | Glad2bretired

Re:  Fake news.  I know this is off topic, but I can't resist.  Presidential Counselor Kellyanne Conway got caught telling a whopper yesterday, about the domestic terrorist Bowling Green "Massacre" (her words) which never occurred.  Instead, 2 Iraqi Nationals caught conspiring to smuggle weapons back to Iraq were convicted and imprisoned.

Feb 3rd - 10:31am | beachdumb

These are some widely reported fake news over the past 8 years I can think off the top my head.

Feb 3rd - 08:52am | justinh

Chaffetz withdrew his bill, apparently as a result of public opposition to it. http://www.commondreams.org/newswire/2017/02/02/chaffetz-backs-bill-sell...

Feb 3rd - 08:32am | ecbuck

Trump trying to point out "fake news', isn't trying to fan it it is trying to undermine its credibility. The other half of the stories you posted are fake news in themselves.

Feb 3rd - 08:17am | Kurt Repanshek