• Guest Column| Defending The Science That Explains Climate Change   3 weeks 1 day ago

Two things -- first, even if climate change is largely due to natural causes that cannot be controlled by man, human activities undoubtedly exacerbate those things. More careful management of human activities will at least help reduce negative effects.

Second, from a geologic standpoint, the amount of deposition in oceans resulting from erosion of continental landmasses, while significant, is miniscule when compared to the volume of water melting from glacial ice worldwide.

Here is an excellent article that explores a numer of reasons for rising oceans.

www.usc.edu/org/.../Issealevelrising.pdf

Hmmmm. I can't get that link to work, but found that if you go to the USC website and then search for sea level, you will find the article listed along with a number of others. Here is the link to USC:

www.usc.edu/org/

• Drinking Water Advisory Issued At Grand Canyon National Park   3 weeks 1 day ago

Okay, you win, Gary. I'll go back to clubbing baby seals now.

And water runs downhill. It's called GRAVITY! If it's from human caused trail runners, then the park service needs to start reigning it in. But like I said, the mule crap seems to be far more suspect.

The point I was making was the unprecidented volume of speed hikers runners and their overriding priority being their speed in crossing (all about me) while accepted defecation practices are far down the list of priorities for many ( documented). Don't believe it's a coincidence that the warning was issued on that stretch of trail particularly when mules only go down three of the 14 miles on the North Kaibab. Documented "Science":).

Trailadvocate, can you translate your gibberish into english? I'm sure there are a few personal attacks towards me, as I usually expect from you, but I can't decipher it. Regardless, humans are supposed to bury their waste and not take a crap anywhere near a stream. That's common backcountry hiking knowledge and courtesy. Maybe that is happening, but I do remember a few privies along that trail to keep those sort of things at bay, and dont remember seeing human feces all along the trail. Mules on the other hand just go all over the trail and the mule trains aren't required to bury thier waste, and walking the North and South Kaibab trails you will very much encounter mule crap every 20 yards. And yes, e-coli can very much be attributed by animal waste like mules and horses. Keep it up. I guess the opposite of a greenie would be a brownie, or maybe just a blackie? Whatever it is, I don't care what you label me. I have my own thoughts on what you are, but I won't disclose them here, because Kurt always deletes my snipes, but allows the snipes from people that attack me to stay. So, whatever. And you're also very wrong about my "urban" dwellings, as I haven't had such luxury as city sewage in the areas i've lived (both in the west and the appalachians), but those sort of attacks are expected from people like yourself.

I guess assuming you are greenie, Gary, one would be incorrect. Strongly believe you won't be contracting Ebola from the green you mentioned unlike the brown or other colors left by the 200,000 or so of your own specie that share the two corridor trails with a very few mules. As documented the massive influx of one day Rim to Rimers (and sometimes Rim to Rim to Rimers) the evidence of human defecation along the North Kaibab Trail (where the water warning is in effect) should be considered key to the source of coliform bacteria. A little narrowminded, elitest always leaves a door open for rebutal. Some thanks for the mules service to so many would be appreciated but not expected.

Just a question that I've had on my mind. Since all land masses are eroding with their particles displacing their mass in the ocean, how is that displacement figured into sea level rise data? Just asking...

Those signs are also placed over the urinals, the untreated irrigation water and the treatment plant effluent for those used to urban living (not refering to you EC:).

• Guest Column| Defending The Science That Explains Climate Change   3 weeks 2 days ago

1950s

2014

The City walls (of peniscola) were built on the rocks above, but near, sea level, and that’s where they are now.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peniscola

Best available real science says the global sea level rise average is 1.7mm per year and slowing.

Much truth here Roger, but I am not quite ready to give up the ship. What we do on a daily basis can make a difference, Gary mentioned a few. There has to be some counter force to the just "whats in for me" attitude. Its not easy, but we do have National Parks, wildlife areas, National Forests ,etc, it was no easy task to accomplish. We have citizen groups suing polluters, investigating fraud and corruption both in the public and private sectors, the scientific community trying to deal with climate change, etc. no easy tasks. Traveler and its subscribers are at least talking about it. Lets keep giving it the effort, sometimes positive changes do occur. Thank you Traveler for providing this forum.

Another point that can be made re global warming. If it is caused by events outside human control it can't be stopped. If it caused by man's activities the chances ot the worlds governments cooperating to control it is beyond their ability given the incompetence of governments in general and the inability of people to concern themselves with things that will happen after they are dead. So we are left with adopting to whatever happens and EC is right. On a geological time scale what we do today is meaningless. Time for all of us to move on to another subject.

Roger,

Both sides can can pick and choose their data points and point to "lucky breaks" to defend themselves The reality is our "recorded time" is so brief that it can't hardly define the norm - if there is one.

Lets get back to basics. If human generated CO2 is the cause of global warming and CO2 emmission have continue to rise substantially, why have temperatures flattened for nearly two decades? Or are you one of those that deny that fact?

If the science is settled, why have the models using that science been so horribly wrong?

Those questions have been asked repeatedly here and no one has had the answer other than to contradict their idol, the IPCC, and claim the flatenning hasn't happened.

Science is based on theory, followed by experimentation/observation to confirm the theory. The observations don't confirm the theory. The science is far from settled

Alfred is right. We need to deal with the changes not pretend (my words) that we can stop them. After all, who is to say that the gains of massive productive farmland to feed the starving isn't worth the loss of a few glaciers? Who is to say that a warmer climate - if is happening - isn't beneficial? At one time this land was covered in ice. At another covered by ocean. Which was norm? Which was natural? Which should be preferred?

The reality is that nature - like water - always wins. What we do as humans will be meaningless in the spectrum of time.

The above article is worth reading by all and particularly EC,Beachdumb, and other climate change deniers. Not that it will change any minds already made up.

Actually, I believe we can stop the acidification of our oceans by some changes to coal fired power plants. It is going to require some efforts not just by our government, but all governments around the planet to curb the burning of coal, or require flue-gas desulfurization scrubbers. Unfortunately, some countries in Asia and Africa will need to step up the plate big time and that is easier said than done. But sort of like the ozone layer, which has healed immensely since humans took control of their actions, we can reduce the tide of acidifcation. We also need to stop dumping plastic all over the place, and quit supporting products that have so much single use throw-away plastic. That's not only unsustainable but down right moronic if you look at it from a holistic level.

Just in east tennessee alone, there is a lot of fast food plastic all over the highways because littering is accepted…. and where does it end up? A good portion of it gets flushed away in the water ways, which is completely asinine. No wonder there is such a gigantic layer of floating plastic debris in our oceans. Was it there 100 years ago? No. It's all happened relatively recently, and this is another action that can be curbed, if we had ahem.. AWARENESS.

• Drinking Water Advisory Issued At Grand Canyon National Park   3 weeks 2 days ago

A funny memory for me. Years ago - in the 90s - I went to the Grand Canyon with family and friends. We stayed at a faciity in the park - which one escapes me. As we entered the cabins there were little signs on the sinks. "Don't drink the water". This was the one place on a two week trip that our friend had booked the reservation. We still give him grief when we get together.

I'm not suprised. I remember back when I did one of the mule trails to complete the experience of hiking all the kaibab and bright angel trails, I was caught in a light spring drizzle. The entire trail turned into a sewer pit in a matter of an hour due to all the mule crap being carried out by the runoff. Diluted mule dropping runoff was literally running around my boots. Never again will I ever hike one of those mule trails. The amount of mules they take up and down those trails to support the demand is haphazardly insane.

Alfred, off subject, and you or traveler can certainly "gong me here", but I was interested in your experience running for office and discovering that questions asked of you revolved around "what can you do for me". Having participated in some citizen groups and lower level political campaigns, I found that was not always the case. It was disconcerting to hear write that. Anyway, way off subject, will be interested in your article on Olympic.

Ecbuck, the temperature has not been flat, you seem to be mistaken.

I guess you need to inform the IPCC and UK Met Office

Yet last February (2013) even IPCC’s chairman Rajenda Pachuri has admitted that world temperature data has been flat for the past 17 years. And that was after the British media reported that the UK Met Office was projecting a 20-year standstill in global warming by 2017.

I disagree. That is not the role of (federal) government as invisioned by our founders.

Ecbuck, wow, you must be the smartest scientist in the world!

Ecbuck, the temperature has not been flat, you seem to be mistaken.

Hi EC, A few days back, you generously apologized for some previous comment. Believe me, no apology is necessary for standing up for your convictions. We all get feisty from time to time. We just need to keep these comments formal, and I applaud how that usually is the case. . .

In any event, this will be my last comment in this thread. I am writing an article on Olympic National Park I hope all of you will enjoy.

The point about government is that it should work for us--and offer real solutions. Some will require government and some will require privatization. In the end, those are merely tools. But yes, I have to agree that the push is on to make government into a candy store. Running for office, every question I got was what will you do for me. It was quite the opposite of JFK's inaugural: "Rather ask what you can do for your country."

What we all can do is be informed. It costs nothing to read and learn. The more we learn, the less we will be intimidated by those who claim to have done the learning for us. And with that, I will get back to Olympic National Park, where thank goodness, a group of citizens did not heed the "experts" that it "needed" to be logged.

• Photography In The National Parks: Don't Let The Weather Get You Down   3 weeks 2 days ago

Deby, thanks for the reply. I still do not understand how a faster shutter speed results in a noisy image, especially if you're adjusting the shutter speed, aperture, and ISO yourself. David is correct in that a higher ISO will, in some cases, result in a faster shutter speed, I say "in some cases" because you could also adjust the aperture to compensate. But again, that only happens if you're using the camera on some type of auto exposure mode, and I'm not sure why any photographer would want to leave everything up to the camera, unless of course they do not understand how exposure works in the first place.

• Dinosaur National Monument Proposes Doubling Of Entrance Fee   3 weeks 2 days ago

There's also a very practical reason for keeping fees in $5 or $10 increments when that's feasible: Eliminating the need to handle $1 bills both "in and out the window" decreases errors in handling cash, cuts down waiting times for visitors at entrance stations by reducing the time it takes to make change, and reduces the staff time it takes to count and process the daily remittance and bank deposit.

Some may scoff, but a peak times, even a few seconds saved per entry quickly adds up to a minute or more saved in line for today's oft-impatient visitors.