You are here

All Recent Comments

National Park Service Waived Policy To Allow Budweiser's Centennial Partnership

Apr 28th - 16:20pm | Jim Burnett

The beer industry's ads have done a masterful job convincing plenty of Americans that a beer in the hand is a necessary adjunct to fully enjoy a sporting event or a day at the beach.

Apr 28th - 16:17pm | ecbuck

If you truly want to support the parks, then you should be content to do so without expections in return.

Apr 28th - 15:46pm | Ranger Kevin

I think that drawing fine distinctions about what products are appropriate or inappropriate for sponsorship is a rabbit hole worth avoiding. Alcohol and tobacco are prohibited, but (theoretically) pharmaceuticals and fast food chains are OK? We'd need a phone book sized document to spell out what's "appropriate" and what isn't.

Apr 28th - 15:33pm | Ghost of Steven...

Mr. Runte, the issue is not about how much money a corporate sponsor can or will provide, nor how long their committment is to giving.  The issue is about influence and what that money buys.

Apr 28th - 15:23pm | Alfred Runte

Exactly, Ron. The point is to get us thinking, which sometimes requires the writer to write tongue-in-cheek. I did say the Park Service was selling its soul. My point is to remind us when corporations did NOT force us to do that. They respected the culture, too. Is the Park Service that out of touch with its past? You bet it is, and therein lies the problem.

Apr 28th - 15:08pm | Rick B.

I've been clean and sober for 35 years, and spent years working in alcohol and substance abuse clinics when I was a nurse. I'm absolutely in agreement with the bulk of the group here.

Apr 28th - 14:52pm | rmackie

Thank you Ghost of Steven, others, who have pointed out what a bad idea this is and what a slippery slope it will become. I rarely find myself in disagreement with Alfred, I know he posts ideas just to get us thinking about but this is simply a terrible decision in my view. Thanks also to Jim Burnett, I have been involved in similar situations.

Apr 28th - 14:35pm | Alfred Runte

We're all missing the point, including me. The point of something we share in common is to act as if we share it. This is where our conservative friends have a legitimate beef. These days, we are so busy shedding the "sharing" that we forget what sharing is. Why repeat the Pledge of Allegiance every morning? Why go to church, mosque, or synagogue every week?

Apr 28th - 14:27pm | wild places

Suitability aside, did I miss something or did they skip the bidding process in this as well?

Apr 28th - 14:04pm | Ghost of Steven...

The NPS has been in bed with Budweiser for a long time, at least from the early 1990's.  For those who have attended the "Fair St.

Apr 28th - 13:52pm | Jim Burnett

For a good example of a "mega event" in an urban park which included big-name concerts and on-site alcohol sales, you can read a recap of the "Veiled Prophet Fair" which was held at JNEM ("Gateway Arch") in the 1980s and early 1990s.

Apr 28th - 13:07pm | Kurt Repanshek

I've head the concerts will be at Golden Gate NRA and Statue of Liberty, and possibly the National Mall. Hope to get specifics --including who will be performing -- later this week.

Apr 28th - 13:04pm | tomp2

I'm surprised that I'm much less against this waiver than all other commentators so far, even though I don't drink AB/InBev products.

Apr 28th - 13:00pm | Kurt Repanshek

dahkota, a similar waiver was granted for Alder Fels.

Apr 28th - 12:04pm | Alfred Runte

I am rereading Polly Welts Kaufman, National Parks and the Woman's Voice: A History. Could it be that Polly is right? There are just too many little boys in the National Park Service that never have grown up? She doesn't quite say it that way, of course, but this is one instance where I have to agree with my friends from the feminist side of the aisle.

Apr 28th - 11:58am | dahkota

How exactly is the deal with Alder Fels different from the deal with AB? Why wasn't a waiver needed for that? Is this a problem because the product is beer rather than wine?

Apr 28th - 11:10am | Harryb3570

I could not agree with you more Jim. I do not think we need to encourage the use of beer in our parks to attract a new generation of park visitors. Visitors come to our parks to enjoy the scenery and history. Let the drinkers go to Panama City Beach in Florida. I just wonder how this really bad idea got through the Director's staff.

Apr 28th - 10:38am | tahoma

Ugh!  What's next on this slippery slope?  Perhaps a 'partnership' with Harley-Davidson, 'The Official Motorcycle of the NPS Centennial': https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKFmc0oZXFI Here's my favorite example of a tasteful beer ad using a National Park as backdrop:

Apr 28th - 10:34am | Jim Burnett

"We want to encourage a new generation of beer drinkers to get out there and see what America is made of," said Budweiser Vice President Brian Perkins in a press release. "And where better than in America's national parks?" Here's just one reason that is America's worst idea:

Apr 28th - 09:16am | Rick Smith

Terrible idea.Rick

Apr 28th - 08:05am | Lee Dalton

Although I think this is terrible, I'd hesitate to place all the blame entirely upon Jon Jarvis.  Long experience has shown that there are almost always other powerful political pressures lurking in the shadows.

Apr 28th - 06:36am | Harryb3570

This is a new low in the history of the National Park Service. Shame on you Director Jarvis. You have done enough damage to an agency we all love. Resign now and be gone before you do any more damage.

Forest Service Opens Scoping Period For Development On South Rim Of Grand Canyon

Apr 28th - 14:22pm | canyongoddess

I have taken part in annual spring surveys within the Grand Canyon, and our springs are down 10% over the last ten years.  The South Rim is highly water stressed.  A development such as the one proposed in Tusayan will rob wildlife and the Havaupai Nation of their water.  Please take the time to write to the Forest Service and oppose the granting of these road easements.

Apr 28th - 08:18am | Lee Dalton

What's more important?The Grand Canyon?Or a few million dollars in the pockets of a couple of politically powerful developers?We need to know exactly which elected state and Federal lawmakers are helping to push this effort forward.  Unfortunately, they are very good at remaining hidden.

Scofflaws Piloting Drones In The National Park System

Apr 28th - 13:47pm | jmk84

Flying cameras are by and large a safe and productive expression of the First Amendment. I take issue with your Alcatraz story. There was no collision. He was charged with a crime merely for flying around the island and potentially scaring birds. Let's compare it 'apples to apples' to other human outdoor activities before we say it's unsafe or disruptive. Should cars and bikes be banned too?

Studies Show Magma Chamber Deep Below Yellowstone National Park Would Fill Grand Canyon 11 Times

Apr 28th - 13:26pm | gutz54

When that thing blows we'll all be looking for a cold Bud....

Park Partners Invest Heavily In National Parks, Corporate America Not So Much

Apr 28th - 08:20am | ecbuck

but that is just assuming.No Rick, it is not assuming.   As my link demonstrated, corporations have been quite generous. http://www.nationalparks.org/about-us/our-partnersAnd that is but one example.

Apr 27th - 23:27pm | Rick B.

I don't think Kurt is denigrating one group - corporate - when he looks at the records and finds the friends groups with clear tracks and the corporate without. It's as simple as "what do you see?" - "I see X". One can assume that some folks get their income that they donate from corporations, and one can assume that some corporations donate around a corner, but that is just assuming.

Apr 27th - 22:40pm | rmackie

Nice comment trailadvocate, I being one of them. Alfred, I agree that friends groups and philanthropic efforts in general have done much for the parks and other human efforts. However, I do not think corporate sponsors, friends groups, etc. should replace the basic responsibility of our elected officials in funding our public lands, our commons.

Apr 27th - 21:02pm | trailadvocate

...and the folks that are the mostly silent majority that enjoy and benefit from these wild places in more ways than some can imagine.  The character strengthening of citizenry is a great benefit for everyone.

Apr 27th - 13:47pm | Alfred Runte

EC, No, I get your point, nor did I interpret it as "denigration" of the friends groups in any way. I just miss the old days when corporate philanthropy was more "visible," but I am sure that what you say is true. The friends groups themselves receive many contributions from corporations--and their executives and staff as individuals.

Apr 27th - 11:19am | ecbuck

Alfred - I wasn't trying to denegrate the efforts of the friends groups in any way.  They are quite valuable.  I was just offended by Kurt's unjustified swipe at corporations who have been equally valuable contributors, directly or indirectly, to the parks.

Apr 27th - 10:56am | Alfred Runte

The point about the friends groups is their persistence; they work constantly on behalf of the parks. The Centennial? They know it to be important. But there is no reason for them to wait. If it needs doing, they will try to do it now.

Apr 27th - 08:46am | ecbuck

Kurt, the "not so much" dig at corporations was unnecessary.  I am sure that if you looked into the donor base for your Park Partners, you would find ample examples of corporate support and more appropriately, individual donors that gained their wealth through corporate activities.  And of course they donate outside these groups as well.  For example:

Apr 27th - 07:54am | Jim Burnett

Kudos to these organizations and their help with these projects. A look at the attached list shows that in many cases, the partner groups are covering far more than half the cost of the work.

Op-Ed|NPS Ecological Mismanagement: By Design?

Apr 27th - 10:18am | rdm24

"The Center for Biological Diversity is a pressure group, known for its underhanded tactics." And now, Sarah Rolph is a writer known for her ad hominem attacks. If she's trying to persuade readers to her way of thinking, this is a poor tractic.

Apr 26th - 12:24pm | SmokiesBackpacker

The NPS coordinated with these groups, ignored public comments, distort, decieve and are threatening safe and reasonable access to the island.aka, modus operandi for the NPS.

Apr 26th - 11:59am | Lee Dalton

A very interesting opinion piece.  Remember the word opinion here.But it does point up a much larger problem in America.  The kind of tactics spotlighted as alleged abuses by NPS and environmental groups are alive and well and fully employed on the other side as well.

Apr 26th - 11:24am | beachdumb

Audubon, Defenders of Wildlife, NPCA and Sierra Club have and are doing the samething to Hatteras Island. The NPS coordinated with these groups, ignored public comments, distort, decieve and are threatening safe and reasonable access to the island. These environmental activists tactics are not new, not isolated to PRNS, and are fueled by ambulance chasing lawyers.

Cost Of Enjoying Shenandoah National Park Going Up May 1

Apr 27th - 10:00am | Harryb3570

I think the fee should go up to an even $100 per day. This will cut down on all of the congestion and wear and tear on the roads.  Less people and cars and less impact on the park infrastructure.

President Obama Visiting Everglades National Park On Earth Day To Draw Attention To Climate Change

Apr 27th - 08:09am | Lee Dalton

In today's NPS Morning Report, we read about a Congressional hearing that will probably be chaired by Rob Bishop of Utah's First Congressional District:

Bottled Water Industry Urges National Park Service To Permit Bottled-Water Sales In Parks

Apr 26th - 16:05pm | Kurt Repanshek

Traveler's water bottles are made in the USA of recycled aluminum, not imported from China or some other off-shore manufacturer. And part of that $20 goes to help keep the ship afloat;-)

Apr 26th - 16:02pm | Frank Denninger

Excuse me - Must not have got enough sleep last night.  :)

Apr 26th - 16:01pm | ecbuck

not $80.00 as some of you have assertedJust figured if you were buying a water bottle, you would want to buy Kurt's.

Apr 26th - 15:58pm | nr_buckeye

To paraphrase Virgil Earp in Tombstone;  'No one is saying you can't buy bottled water.  You just can't buy bottled water in the National Parks.'  I'm pretty sure the gateway communities are making bank in bottled water sales.

Apr 26th - 15:02pm | ecbuck

Frank - they are banning the sale, not the possession so it isn't as Orwellian as you fear.  However, it does show how meaningless the ban is.

Apr 26th - 14:12pm | Frank Denninger

Alas, another rule from our protectors at NPS that is basically unenforceable unless all backpacks of Americans visiting their lands (not NPS's)  are inspectedl w/o reasonable cause that a person has broken a law.No wonder many American's as well as many others have less than positive views of NPS micro managing totalitarian ways.

Black Bears And Humans Don't Mix At Olympic National Park's Enchanted Valley

Apr 26th - 13:29pm | justinh

Thanks, rmackie.  I'll check it out.

Apr 26th - 12:50pm | rmackie

Thank you justinh, there is an interesting new book, "Speaking of Bears" by Rachel Mazur that gives an in depth study of bear biology and the NPS history of trying to manage bear populations in Yosemite, Yellowstone and other parks. A very interesting and educational read. Also, much thanks to Michael Kellett for his informative posts on snow pack in the Rockies.

Apr 26th - 12:13pm | justinh

I'm very glad NPS is closing the area temporarily rather than killing the bear(s) because a backpacker wasn't conscientious.  When I was in the Enchanted Valley in June a few years ago, there were bears all over, but they kept their distance, and we and others were extremely careful with our food consumption and storage.  It was a wonderful--enchanted--wildlife experience.

National Parks Traveler's Essential Park Guide