• Zion National Park Gets Commemorative Licence Plate, But It's No Delicate Arch   5 years 17 weeks ago

It really could have been a much better looking plate than the one they came up with. Heck, most of the Southern states have nicer specialty college football license plates than the rather drab and mundane one issued by the state of Utah for Zion.

The Alabama plate for the Crimson Tide is really something to behold.

• National Park Mystery Photo 7: Who Was This Maiden?   5 years 17 weeks ago

Nicely done, Larry. You've got it. Be sure to read the followup article that's scheduled for tomorrow (Friday). It's got loads of additional interesting information about the Lady of the Woods.

• Badger Pass Icon Nic Fiore Passes; Taught Thousands to Ski At Yosemite National Park's Ski Area   5 years 17 weeks ago

My wife, son, and I are among the hundred-thousand who took ski lessons under his direction. I'll never forget him ringing the big bell out behind the Badger Pass Ski Lodge that signaled the start of each session. He made a remarkeable contribution to both Yosemite and the ski industry. He will be greatly missed!

• National Park Mystery Photo 7: Who Was This Maiden?   5 years 17 weeks ago

Lady of the Woods
    Park Headquarters, Munson Valley, Crater Lake National Park - est: 1902

October 1 thru 19 1917 Lady of the Woods carved by Dr. Ralph Bush, a doctor with the Rim Road construction and survey crew. The man-created work of art is Dr. Bush’s desire for fulfillment: “The statue represents my offering to the forest, my interpretation of its stillness and response, its beauty, fascination and unseen life. Deep love of this virgin wilderness fastened itself upon me and remains to this day.” Name by Fred Kiser, photographer who built a photo studio on the Rim now being used as the Park’s Visitor Center.

The statue is about 3/4 life size.

August 1919 “Petrified” mummy of an Indian woman “discovered” one fourth mile from Government Camp. “Mummy” claimed by persons to be older than the Egyptian mummies. Turns out to be the “Lady of the Woods

• Roped-Together Climbers Die in Fall On Mount McKinley in Denali National Park and Preserve   5 years 17 weeks ago

My heart goes out to their families. No matter how much you train and prepare accidents can still happen. Both John and Andrew seemed like very responsible and seasoned individuals.

Dan
    Winter adventure, Northeast USA

• Historical Graffiti   5 years 17 weeks ago

There is a rock in Idaho, Register Rock, where travelers of the Oregon Trail left their signatures. It is near Massacre Rock State Park, on the Snake River. Beautiful spot to camp and learn some great history.

• Toddler Dies After Drinking Citronella Oil at Chickasaw National Recreation Area Campsite   5 years 17 weeks ago

I have visited over 150 np’s and i have never seen a caution sign about deadly chemicals. Maybe a paper list of poisonous chemical at the ranger entrance station or a sign at rest rooms and entrances or at the camping sites would be good. I feel for the Chickasaw couple's child who died. A good search of the area might have helped. I realize this is an extra expense to an already strained budget

Maybe the np assoc should spend money providing signs and paper list of chemical poisons instead of promoting gun laws that favor the crooks. You know people who have passed fbi checks and weapon training are the bad guys and the crooks who carry concealed weapons receive a lot of tv and radio attention. Think about this opinion. I mean really think about it.

Sorry i had to add this opinion. Bears, wolfs, and other potentially dangerous animals carry their concealed weapons in their mouth. It's only when they smile that you are aware they are about to use their weapon. Think about this when one is headed your way. Sorry for the soap box presentation, just had to do it,

Bill Woodard, Dallas, Texas

• National Park Mystery Photo 7: Who Was This Maiden?   5 years 17 weeks ago

Hint, NPS'er Jon Jarvis will know the answer to this one!

Owen Hoffman
    Oak Ridge, TN 37830

Lauren, for many, pushing the edge a little bit heightens the intensity and beauty of life. From all accounts, these two gentlemen were highly skilled climbers and very analytical in their approach. Accidents can happen anywhere, from crossing the street to climbing a mountain. While their deaths were truly tragic and unfortunate, they were doing what they loved.

That is so sad! Why do good people put themselves into dangerous situations when they have wonderful lives & wonderful loved ones??

• Half Dome Hiker Falls to His Death in Yosemite   5 years 17 weeks ago

I was on Half Dome when Hirofumi Nohara slipped to his death on June 16, 2007. In fact, I was behind him about 2 people when he fell and could have been taken down with him. This was an experience that one cannot forget, yet I am reliving this in your tale of what happened last weekend. Seeing him slide.... and fall..... and slide... was horrific to say the least and I still think about it every now and then. You will too I'm afraid. It was a Sunday and very crowded on the cables, people going up and down and outside the cables. It was about 3:00 PM in the afternoon. I too remember thinking "don't panic now" "keep yourself together" right after it happened..... because I knew I had to get off that mountain! People were crying and several children visibly terrified. It was also horrifying to see the helicopter land and pick up his body, before we could descend. I am all for each person taking responsibility for their own actions in the wilderness but this hike is extremely difficult! I honestly don't think most of the hikers up there have any idea of the skills and equipment needed for this climb. To most of them, it's the satisfaction of just saying, "I did it". It is a beautiful hike for sure, but can turn precarious very quickly with so many people up there. Climb Safe!

• Half Dome Hiker Falls to His Death in Yosemite   5 years 17 weeks ago

The cable itself is bouncing from all the people using it. As far as spacing goes, has anyone here seen how crowded it gets on a weekend? The problem is that if it were somehow restricted to only one person between each pair of poles, the wait would be several hours rather than maybe 30-40 minutes during peak season. If you've seen it when it's crowded, that's maybe 2-3 people in each segment. There are often gaps because one or more climbers gets terrified and slows down or take time to get recomposed at each plank.

I don't recall exactly how many pairs of stanchions there are, but a quick look at photos and I'd guess maybe 36-40. That's a lot of clipping and unclipping.

• Star Party Set for June 27 at Great Basin National Park   5 years 17 weeks ago

National Parks are ideal places to enjoy a pristine view of a dark and starry night. All of the parks listed above offer virtually pristine views the night, but elsewhere, it becomes increasingly difficult to escape the distant effects of artifical light pollution.

Light pollution is a major problem for urban parks. However, distant domes of light pollution from growing urban and suburban development has become more than evident along the western horizon from the top of Glacier Point in Yosemite, from Horse Pasture Plateau in Zion, from Panorama Point in Arches, and looking to the north from Clingman's Dome in the Great Smoky Mountains. Digital cameras used at night in Death Valley can pick up domes of light pollution from Los Angeles and Las Vegas.

A view of a pristine night sky has been an experience that extended across all human cultures prior to the past century. Fortunately, through intelligent light planning and effective community lighting ordinances, light pollution can be substantially reduced and the pristine beauty of the night sky restored.

Owen Hoffman
    Oak Ridge, TN 37830

• Should the Jackson Hole Airport Lease Extension Wait for Safety Audit?   5 years 17 weeks ago

While not intending to take a stance pro or con on the question of the appropriateness of the airport's location, if somehow the NPS decided it should go, where might a new airport be based in the Jackson area? There's not an awful lot of flat ground around, and that which is flat is likely privately owned.

While there might be some space on the Driggs, Idaho, side of the range, the need to traverse Teton Pass makes that location untenable. And down near Alpine, Wyoming, doesn't make sense due to the need to negotiate the Snake River Canyon to reach Jackson.

Any suggestions?

• Philatelists Rejoice: New Stamps Honoring Zion and Grand Teton National Parks On The Way   5 years 17 weeks ago

Information on Zion First Day of Sale and cachets can be found on the Zion Natural History Association (park non-profit) website, http://www.zionpark.org.

Thanks!

The Nature Conservancy has proposed that the airport start the long overdue process of "repaying" Grand Teton NP for the land it has "taken". Since 533 acres has been taken out of service, those acres should be replaced by purchasing private land. Among other things, they propose a $5 per ticket fee to go to these private land purchases to expand the real park. Sounds good to me !

• National Park Quiz 59: Only   5 years 17 weeks ago

Craters of the Moon National Preserve is indeed a National Park System unit, MRC, even though it is jointly administered with the Bureau of Land Management. To state this in another way, Craters of the Moon National Preserve is included in the 391-count of National Park System units, even though managerial responsibility for the unit is shared with another federal agency. BTW, the Park Service uses the same four-letter code (CROM) for the monument and the preserve, and both units have the same Superintendent (Douglas Neighbor).

• National Park Quiz 59: Only   5 years 18 weeks ago

On No 6: The preserve land is owned and administrated by the BLM.

• Half Dome Hiker Falls to His Death in Yosemite   5 years 18 weeks ago

All I can say is I guess most people don't have a clue what they are in for on this hike. I plan to go this upcoming Friday and will DEFINITELY be taking a harness with me......It seams like there will be a lot of other people there without harnesses and I don't want any of them falling onto me and taking me out!...I got babies to attend to. Respect the elements!

• Half Dome Hiker Falls to His Death in Yosemite   5 years 18 weeks ago

We've had quite a bit of comment traffic about this on my blog too.

One thing about the harness/carabiner setup that worries me: if you fall and tug hard on the cable, wouldn't the cable bounce equally hard and perhaps cause others to lose their grip?

As for taking others out -- it could happen but you'd never go farther than the next vertical pole with its T connector. I too have wondered about the domino effect, but it could be that the people are spaced far enough apart that the risk is not as great as it seems.

• The National Park to Park Highway   5 years 18 weeks ago

I watched this documentary recently on PBS and it was very interesting to learn about how few roads existed especially in National Parks. It was also interesting how the idea for this "highway" took shape and the people who made it a reality. If you are interested in the western National Parks at all this is a must see!

• Half Dome Hiker Falls to His Death in Yosemite   5 years 18 weeks ago

Hi Rick,
    I just returned from Yosemite today, I climbed Half Dome for the first time Monday 6/15/09. I purchase your book about a year ago, and I've been training for this hike very seriously. I knew starting out on this hike I would be turning back if the weather didn't cooperate. Thanks for writing this most helpful guide. Hiking is my passion, thanks for getting me started. Julie
    P.S. Five years ago I was in a car accident and broke my wrist,hip and a compound break to my left femor.
    Hiking is great rehab. THANKS AGAIN .....Oh by the way the hike took me 12 hours, an hour and a half longer than your book says. Did you take into consideration age???? I'm 55 .

• Fall Into Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone Kills California Woman   5 years 18 weeks ago

[Climbing is allowed in only a few areas of Yellowstone National Park, and the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone is not one of them. It's too dangerous to climb in the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone because the volcanic rock is too brittle.]

• 8-Mile-Long Multi-use Path Opens in Grand Teton National Park On Saturday   5 years 18 weeks ago

As an avid bicyclist and long time visitor to the park, I heartily welcome this addition. The park and environs offers plenty of additional options for hard core road and mountain bike fans. To me, a 16 mile round trip through the most beautiful spot on the planet sounds divine. I plan to be there as soon as possible.

To those that planned and built this: Thank You!!!

• Another Marina Fire At Glen Canyon National Recreation Area   5 years 18 weeks ago

The ruined economy claims another victim through an insurance fraud fire sale...

just saying.