• Should Anything Be Done With Angel's Landing?   5 years 17 weeks ago

I think this is really a call on personal judgement more than anything else. When you get to Scout's Lookout, you can see the trail required to make it to Angel's Landing. You can see the chains and the cliffs and the narrow pathway. Even if the sign at the bottom doesn't give a real clue as to how dangerous this trail can be, your eyes and common sense should be a good detector.

The thing people like about NPs is that they don't babysit you every step of the way. They require self-determination and intelligence to navigate.

Angel's Landing [as I said before] is a personal judgement call. You see the risks before you take it and you have the FREE WILL to decide whether or not to take it at all.

I hiked Angel's Landing because I trusted myself to be smart and careful. My father, on the other hand, took one look and decided his responsibility to his family was more important than the risk.

Only you know your limits.

• 8-Mile-Long Multi-use Path Opens in Grand Teton National Park On Saturday   5 years 17 weeks ago

Rode the path today and it was fantastic. Sure it might be short for hard core riders but for riders who'd like to ride through the magnificent Grand Teton National Park and enjoy the spectacular scenery, it's an incredible experience. The path was created for all sorts of riders--today I saw families, older riders, a pack of guys flying by, a group of five young women riding together--everyone was smiling. What a great way to spend a Sunday morning. Anyone coming to Jackson should try this path. It's a real gift from our parks.

• 22 National Recreation Trails Created. How Many Are In Your Backyard?   5 years 17 weeks ago

Thanks Kurt. This was news to me. It's great to see more trails. Here in Eugene, Oregon we are lucky to have the Fall Creek Trail on the Willamette National Forest. It has some beautiful stretches of doug fir old-growth along the Fall Creek.

rob
    ---
    Executive Director,
    Crater Lake Institute
    www.craterlakeinstitute.com
    Robert Mutch Photography,
    www.robmutch.com

• How Did 1940s-era Visitors View Yosemite National Park? Check Out This Video   5 years 17 weeks ago

Thanks for sharing Kurt. Warm memories and nostalgia at it's best. A simple and less complicated time that blends well for it's era.

• More Fishers Soon To Be On the Loose in Olympic National Park   5 years 17 weeks ago

State and federal biologists have recorded the first fisher family native-born to Washington since their return to the forests after nearly 80 years. Weeks ago, researchers spotted the female, thought to be pregnant, at a big old snag heavily marked with cavities created by pileated woodpeckers, important den sites for fishers. Remote camera images taken at the snag show a mother fisher carrying her litter of four kits, one at a time, from the den tree in the Elwha. Females commonly move their young to new dens, biologists say, as the kits become more mobile.

"...adventure without regard to prudence, profit, self-improvement,
    learning or any other serious thing" -Aldo Leopold-

• Cruising Into Glacier Bay National Park   5 years 17 weeks ago

This was the highlight of our cruise to Alaska. Sam

• Where in the World is Paul Fugate?   5 years 17 weeks ago

Sorry, Anon. We were working from memory since neither of us has access to the NPS or police files. I am sure you are right and I apologize for the mistake. Please be assured that it was our error, not an error on the part of either the NPS or the Sheriffs Department.

Rick Smith

• Rangers Narrow Search Area in Grand Canyon National Park For Missing Hiker   5 years 17 weeks ago

I have been through a lot these last six years and I think I have a pretty good idea of what hell is...but not knowing where a loved one is...that has to be the worst. Especially if it's your beloved grandpa, as an earlier writer wrote. Silence kills. There is no closure. My thoughts and prayers are with his family.

• Where in the World is Paul Fugate?   5 years 17 weeks ago

Her name is Dody, not Dotty. Is that an example of how carefully the investigation was done?

• Should Anything Be Done With Angel's Landing?   5 years 17 weeks ago

Well Said, Christina!

I remember people feeding the bears on the side of the road as a child (but I think it was in Yellowstone.) My parents wouldn't let me out of the car to join in, and I was not happy! Sadly, the drive-through tree fell in a winter storm in 1969 (it is so famous that people still send me emails asking where it is almost 40 years later!) That's what happens when you cut big holes in the base of trees. But the ski area at Badger Pass looks almost the same today, there is an addition onto the lodge now, and of course the tow sled has been replaced with modern lifts. It's still my favorite place to ski!

Has there been any updates on this story?

After having lived in Yosemite National Park (the Valley) ALOT of things have changed. WOW!! That's all I can say!! That would of been REALLY Neat to have seen it then & now; all the wonderful things!! The main stand outs are there, Half Dome, El Cap, etc. BUT all the lodging has changed. Except for a couple!! It's so amazing!!

• Bison Hazing Operations Inside Yellowstone National Park Fuel Controversy   5 years 17 weeks ago

Brucellosis is trasmitted to cattle through ingestion of placentas and/or a newborn. Unless those cattle care munching on bison calves there isn't much danger of the disease being transmitted. Only 5% of our nation's beef comes from cattle in the west. It wouldn't really have a huge impact on our beef industry. Besides, bison is healthier to eat. Those ranchers should just let the bison wander over and raise them instead!

• Should Anything Be Done With Angel's Landing?   5 years 17 weeks ago

I did Angel's Landing two days ago, I will have to say that there were a couple of spots that were treacherous, and for the most part, I didn't need the chains, but then I knew what I was getting into before I traveled there. I have to agree that you are responsible for your own actions, and the NPS is not your baby sitter. This is not the place to goof off, as I saw several people do. We have to keep treasured places like these here for generations to come, and to do that we have to be responsible! If there has only been 5 deaths in 100 years, why is this even an issue? On Mount Rainier there have been more than that in a years time and still people by the thousands climb this volcano every year. We cannot place the blame on the NPS for the bad actions of those who find out later that they have vertigo, goof off at the ledge for whatever reason, or are not in proper condition or have enough experience. There are sheer cliffs on both sides of this fin, and this is a strenuous hike, and that is all you need to know. The decision then is up to the individual doing the hike. That is your responsibility, the NPS is not forcing you to do this!

The amazing thing wasn't that they were feeding bears, but that they were feeding bear CUBS! Messing with cubs is a sure-fire way to annoy mama bear mightily.

1. Even if the cattle industry arguments had any merit (they don't, but that's a longer discussion), there are no cattle on Horse Butte any time of the year. It's a freaking peninsula; there are no cattle owners. Private property owners repeatedly have their space invaded by the Department of Livestock to remove bison they don't mind having on their property.

2. A lot of hazing goes on within Yellowstone National Park; the state issue is used as a convenient excuse for their own crimes against buffalo. When Yellowstone National Park is serious about protecting wild buffalo, they will withdraw from the IBMP, they will stop operating their Stephens Creek capture facility in the north, they will stop capturing calves and shipping them to quarantine, they will stop hazing within national park boundaries. Until then, their victim card that they like to play (if we don't do it, Montana will slaughter buffalo) rings hollow.

I have a lot more to say but no time now to say it.

Thanks for the very interesting old video, Kurt. Near the end of the clip (11:38), the ski sequence caption "The Swift Descent Is On" is followed by about ten seconds of footage from Mt. Rainier. This seems odd and makes me wonder if skier/film maker Otto Lang may have been involved with the Yosemite production?

Wow - feeding bears out of the palm of your hand? The landscape hasn't changed - but some of the practices obviously have. (Liked those sled dogs, too!)

• Traveler's Checklist: Yellowstone National Park   5 years 17 weeks ago

I just returned from a trip to Yellowstone and I have not experienced this 1-2 hour delay you speak of.

However, I can vouch for your third point. The road construction south of the park towards the Tetons does grant about a half-hour delay.

I may be wrong, but aren't our national parks created for the land and wildlife to be able to revert back to it's natural undisturbed past. It's kinda like the wolves, farmers fought to keep them from coming back and the same for other species across the country. Farmers should be the last to be concerned for, let them get their livestock vaccined. As for the wolf problem....what would the real farmers 100 years ago done, watch their herds and manage their risks???? Seems like the solution to me...maybe I'm crazy! It only took how many years to get the Bison to come back from the brink of gone for good...which was done by farmers turned fur traders...Hum????

Cattlemen next to some National parks pay $1.00 a year for their cattle to graze on Public Land. I'm
    surprised that they are asking for"cream in their coffee."
    Remember, no case of brusilossis has been documented from Bison.
    The Bison need photojournalist to record this helicopter activity. And I thought Sara Palin was in Alaska......

Hey Kurt:

The search and rescue crews are dealing with temps in the 100's inside the canyon. I hope Mr. Williams is found o.k. The canyon can be a deadly place if you are not prepared for the extreme climate.

• Senate Loads Credit Card Bill With Amendment to Allow Loaded Weapons in National Parks   5 years 17 weeks ago

>>Kurt, thanks for showing through the use of numerous examples that prohibiting weapons does not stop people from being stupid and using weapons illegally.<<

Frank, just for clarification, while guns were, and continue to be, prohibited in Sequoia at the time of the shooting I mentioned, the other incidents occurred on U.S. Forest Service and BLM lands where weapons were permitted. Perhaps if there had been a ban the incidents wouldn't have happened. Surely target ranges wouldn't have been set up.

That said, I would agree that some people will do what they want with firearms, regardless of the regulations.

Rick, thanks for trying to control the conversation and censor me again. My conversation was with Mr. Bane, but thanks for chiming in.

Kurt, thanks for showing through the use of numerous examples that prohibiting weapons does not stop people from being stupid and using weapons illegally. The acts you reference, which are illegal now, will remain illegal under the current ruling. As for the BLM land in Arizona, I have visited the BLM land near Quartzsite, Arizona where many camp during the winter months. I'm told that the BLM has stepped up education about and prosecution of those who saguaro cacti for target practice, and the effort seems to be working.