• World's Wildlife Populations Are Struggling Despite Global Pledges to Protect Biodiversity   5 years 19 weeks ago

The loss of global biodiversity is truly tragic and extremely concerning. The rate species are going extinction is phenomenal - and frightening. Indeed, it is being termed "The Seventh Great Extinction" ranking alongside other periods of enormous loss of life on earth. This goes far beyond the so-called "background extinction rate" that is within the envelop of normal specie loss by a factor of thousands. What must be kept in mind that humans do not exist apart from nature. We are part of the web of life. As strands break and disappear the entire web becomes more precarious.

• Snowmobiles in Yellowstone and Environmental Extremists in the Obama Administration   5 years 19 weeks ago

The "public" is already "shut out" of the interior of Yellowstone in the winter (the northern road between Cooke City Mt. and Gardiner Mt. is plowed and open to all). The interior is open only to those rich enough to afford the several hundred dollars that it costs per person to rent a snowmobile and a professional guide. Even a snowcoach ride into Old Faithful and back runs several hundred dollars for a family of four. In other words, for the vast majority of every day folks......Forgeta 'bout it!
    What they should do is eliminate snowmobiles altogether (which polls have indicted the vast majority of people would like to see happen); and increase snowcoaches with fares that the average person could afford. By getting rid of snowmobiles and funneling the additional volume into coaches, it should be possible to bring prices down dramatically. Coaches could then become "kangaroo" (hop on, hop off) rather than just tours (or you could offer both, such as they do with summer busses in Denali).

Snowmobile use in Yellowstone should be completely banned for the following reasons. Despite being told to stay on the existing roads, snowmobilers can and do go off-road into the backcountry. This does two things. It stresses out the wildlife that are trying to survive the brutal Yellowstone winter and it creates an unbelievable amount of noise and pollution that should not be tolerated in a National Park whether on or off-road. There are plenty of Yellowstone visitors in winter who agree with me. When the National Park service asked for public input on this matter, the overwhelming response was ban or greatly limit snowmobile use in Yellowstone. The National Parks in this country deserve the highest level of preservation, which means eliminating activities such as snowmobiling.

What are we to think when a U.S. senator brands Jon Jarvis, a highly respected regional director of the National Park Service, as representing "the extreme policies of the Obama administration"?

The answer, of course, is that the political pendulum has swung, and those who enjoyed the Bush years are already lamenting the Obama years.

Kurt, no sooner do I pledge to cool my political grandiloquence on this web site, then do you throw this temptation before me. It's Sunday morning, I want to relax and not be aggravated, so I refuse to read any further of this post than these two sentences.

All I will do is thank God once again that those lamenting the Obama years have occasion to do so. Imagine the heads of the EPA, the Department of the Interior, and, yes, the regional director of the National Park Service, actually caring about the missions for which their agencies were created. It's wonderful.

;-)

• Traveler's Top Overlooks In the National Park System   5 years 19 weeks ago

Permit me to add one I just visited: the Visitor's Center in Utah's Cedar Breaks National Monument. An absolutely stunning vista overlooking The Amphitheater, one of the truly great viewpoints that isn't well known among the average tourist. For my money, it rivals anything the Grand Canyon offers.

• Comment Period Reopens on Whether National Park Visitors Can Arm Themselves   5 years 19 weeks ago

It is not my desire to debate the sensitive second amendment, but it is important for me personally to communicate how much I would appreciate the choice to carry a weapon in a Federal or National State Park.

I am not a hunter, a NRA member nor ex-military or law enforcement. I am however, one who was raised to respect and use guns for target practice, etc. Respecting the taboo position of much of the country, my family and friends I repressed my desire to own any guns. This changed quickly after being attacked by a bear while camping with my unarmed family and being taunted by a large animal for hours. I have since made it a priority to always be armed while camping or hiking remotely and while at home my weapon is securely locked away. It confuses me however, that in New Mexico, I can legally carry a weapon on my hip - without a permit (aside from within a school or facility selling alcohol) but if I were to go hiking in the surrounding mountains that are known for mountain lion attacks and heavy black bear activity - it is illegal.

Yes, this should be open for debate and while laws should remain in place concerning hunting and or poaching I see little reason why Americans shouldn't have right to bear arms responsibly in this environment.

In response to Leland22: I've been to Yellowstone a few times, full week couple of them, Spring through Fall. I've also used the bus system in both Zion & Denali (lived in Fairbanks, AK couple years, now Colorado). I say this just so you know I've experienced some of the same things you have. I agree a bus system wouldn't work so well in Yellowstone (& that Denali's is pretty good), but I think you might be making some assumptions that should be clarified before any conclusions are made. I have not been into Yellowstone during the winter either (also on my list), but I do know that pollution - noise & otherwise - is different in winter than summer. Noise tends to carry farther, combustion pollution can hang closer to the ground & accumulate. I do not know if this plays into the test results, but it is a question to ask/consider. Additionally, do the snowmobiles have to stay on the road? I ask because the only time I have ever seen snowmobiles on the road was in Fairbanks. All other snowmobiles I've seen have been off-road. Again, just asking for clarification. As to limiting "human interaction" by "certain groups" - seems to me they're limiting use of certain machines, but not saying certain groups of people are banned - just how they enter/move around. I'm not saying I'm for or against - but I am in favor of keeping a balance between our use, & keeping the parks healthy enough for us to want to 'use'. If they say I can't drive my car in, but provide another means of access, then I'm willing to make the 'sacrifice'. But then again, I'm also willing to get out & walk, to really appreciate the nature. All-in-all, from what I've seen in the couple dozen or so National Parks I've been to, the goal has not been to keep people out, it has been to try to find the balance between the 'nature' they're charged to protect, & letting us experience it, as the people they are charged to protect it for... I guess I agree with Kurt's final paragraph - would it be the end of the world to put the limits on, communities will evolve to make money on whatever the change is (we seem to be very good at that), & there are better ways to spend all the money going to lawyers, etc. But then again, I also lean toward less rhetoric, & more science, so...

• Pinnacles National Monument: Should It Be Labeled A National Park?   5 years 19 weeks ago

Pinnacles National Monument is gorgeous and the talus caves make it a fun place as well. It would already be a National Park if it were in, say, Ohio. But it raises that same debate; what makes a site "national park worthy"? I'm not sure I would consider "great potential for tourism revenue" a qualification. At this time this monument is not easlily accessible by California standards (near a freeway), even though it is not that far outside of a couple of major population areas. Increasing tourism revenue would absolutely require the need for a new highway to the site and probably a new road between the two halves of the monument. (No roads cross from one side to the other, requiring a considerable drive to get from the easier to reach west half to the more remote east side.) I guess the first decision to be made is which we want, preservation or tourism revenue? Due to the narrow canyons and difficult terrain I don't think you can easily have both at this site. I believe that the goal of obtaining more tourism revenue would require a considerable expansion of the infrastructure, both in and outside of the park.

I've been there, and it is an incredibly cool place (a volcano on a fault line? Wow!). But I have to say, I don't think it's worthy of National Park status. It's current status as a National Monument is adequate in my opinion.

If you abuse the crown jewel label of the National Park Service, you reduce the value of the moniker.

I would say I wish the eastern rim of the volcano, which is in Lancaster, was part of the NPS. I hadn't visited that site, so I'm not sure what it's like, but it would be cool to have both sections of the volcano as part of one unit, separated by 100 miles or so of continental drift.

===========================================

My travels through the National Park System: americaincontext.com

I have been to Yellowstone 3 times and spent at least a week there each time-always in absolute amazement. I see this whole issue as a way to truly limit human interaction in national parks by certain groups. While I have never been there in the Winter, but it is on my bucket list, I see no problem with using snowmobiles. Their use requires them to stay on roads, just as cars and bikes do in the summer. Are these these next? I will be willing to bet so. I consider myself a decent amateur photographer, and one of my concerns with the snow coaches are the severe limitation that is put on my hobby and the main reason I go to the parks. Not many run at sunrise and sunsets or allow me the time to get the "perfect" shot at the perfect location. I have used the bus system in both Zion and Denali--Denali wins hands down for my style of use because they allow a person to get on and off at any location anywhere in the park. Not the best for getting the "perfect" picture since sometimes you have only seconds but bearable. It is still not my preference. This type of bus transportation would not work in Yellowstone in winter due to the harsh weather. I guess I am not smart enough to see the "damage" to the parks that these "few bad snowmobiles" do to an enviroment of 2.2 million acres.

• Scientists: Climate Change Seems Responsible for A Loss of Large-Diameter Trees in Yosemite National Park   5 years 19 weeks ago

Frank is right to point out that the Earth has gone through many natural climate fluctuations in the past 2000 years. However, there's one important variable he's not considering - the exponential growth of the human population. According to historical demographers, 2000 years ago there just weren't that many of us around to make a difference. At that time, global population was relatively stable at approximately 1/4 of a billion souls. Between 900 and 1300, the human population doubled. From 1900 to 2000, the lowering of the childbirth mortality rate and advances in medicine caused the number of humans to skyrocket; presently the global population is estimated to be 6.775 BILLION people! Now that's a lot of trash - I don't believe for one minute that the plastic island in the Pacific Gyre is a natural phenomenon.

It's undisputed that humans have altered the face of the Earth to satisfy the insatiable demand for fresh water, fuel, and food. So there just might be something more to say about this topic. The way I see it, Kurt wins by a mudslide!

• Blown Over and Blown Away at Katmai National Park and Preserve   5 years 19 weeks ago

Yeah, sounds like the caller also failed to check his geography :-)

I made a couple of minor corrections to the story. I tracked down the park's original version of the report, which did not make any reference to Aniakchak being located in Katmai. Hope that clears up the loose ends.

• Should the National Park Service Rescue the National D-Day Memorial?   5 years 19 weeks ago

You brought up some really good points Dan AND...offered suggestions such as ABMC taking this site under its wing. It's true that all the ABMC cemeteries and all but two memorials are out of the country. This will be the third stateside memorial joining the West Coast (San Francisco) and East Coast (New York City) memorials that they maintain.
    While this invasion was going on in France, our Marines and soldiers had already taken Guadalcanal and, I believe, Tarawa. Our Navy had already punched Japan in the nose with Doolittle's attack on Tokyo and stopping Yamamoto at Midway was pretty much as important an accomplishment in the Pacific as D-Day was itself.
    I have had the privilege of walking among those heroes' graves at Normandy, Lorraine, Belleau Wood, Luxembourg, Meuse-Argonne, Flanders Field, Margraten and Liege, BE near Bastogne.
    If it were in my power, I'd pay for this myself for I am a 1st generation American...thanks to the liberation of my father's village in the Philippines by the 40th Infantry Division.

* Heavy rain fell over central Europe, triggering mudslides and floods.

Hmm. Guess there have never been heavy rains or floods in Europe in the last many thousands of years. Global warming!

Of course many of the factoids are for individual MONTHS, not yearly averages. The data I referenced for 2009s global temperature anomaly come from Dr. Roy Spencer (here and here), a government climatologist. (He has never taken oil money, so don't reach for the guilty-by-association card.) He uses satellite tropospheric data rather than surface data which is subject to many influences, such as the heat island effect, precision of measurement, desertification, and so on.

The fact (which no one cares to dispute with evidence) remains that the climate has widely fluctuated over the last 2000 years and throughout the Earth's history. In fact, a billion years from now the sun, with its increasing energy output, will boil off Earth's oceans, ending life on our planet.

The case for human-caused climate change is circumstantial at best. Carbon dioxide has not been proven to raise temperatures, and proponents of more action ignore that correlation does not imply causation. There are several other natural phenomenon correlated with increasing temperatures, including the sunspot cycle. Proponents also engage in the fallacy of the single cause; climate is very complex, and there are many possible forcing events.

The worst part of this whole situation is that climate change proponents will not admit that they could be wrong. That's fundamentalism. Their climate models are their oracles, their magic crystal ball, and even though the future is unpredictable, they make bold claims with high degrees of certainty.

There's really nothing more to say about this topic and its proponents.

Mr. Burnett:

You are TOO kind:

"The caller said that his brother and friends were camped inside the Aniakchak caldera at Katmai and were preparing to float the Aniakchak and Meshik Rivers."

IE: 'at Katmai'

Anonymous -

Thanks for the clarification on the geography.

The park's report didn't annex the Aniakchack Caldera as part of Katmai, but merely included that incident in their overall report of the weather-related problems they responded to in the area during a two-day period. So, any confusion is my error, not the park's.

Global temperature trends for 2007 (and more) can be found at NASA's GISS Surface Temperature Analysis.
    Locally there is the Rocky Mountain Climate Organization.
    For some background (and beyond) read BEYOND THE IVORY TOWER: The Scientific Consensus on Climate Change by Naomi Oreskes
    Naomi Oreskes 2007 essay (PDF) is a good read also..

• National Geographic Magazine Revisits Yellowstone National Park's Supervolcano   5 years 19 weeks ago

It's a restless world we live on. Whether it be Yellowstone or some other volcanic behemoth somewhere down the line another super volcano will make humans realize just how fragile we really are.

Anonymous, you summed it up nicely. The park staff obviously did a good job of responding to the challenging weather common to the Alaska Peninsula. It brings back memories of "weather days" in the area. Visitors must be prepared for rapidly changing and occasionally violent weather. Sounds like the NPS will have to send some folks down into the Aniakchak Caldera to clean up the debris of shredded camping gear.

• Second Drowning In Two Days at Sequoia National Park Claims 14-Year-Old   5 years 19 weeks ago

I hate to hear about, this kind of tragady. If that spot of the streem is that dangerus, why in the name of god, whould park afficals, not warn familys. The second girl, ashley, is the niece of my bestfriend, their whole family is hurting,disbalief,torn up. What? Did the park do for her and the other girls family??????

Frank, not sure where you're getting your data, but here's some news from NOAA:

The world’s ocean surface temperature was the warmest on record for June, breaking the previous high mark set in 2005, according to a preliminary analysis by NOAA’s National Climatic Data Center in Asheville, N.C. Additionally, the combined average global land and ocean surface temperature for June was second-warmest on record. The global records began in 1880.

* The combined global land and ocean surface temperature for June 2009 was the second warmest on record, behind 2005, 1.12 degrees F (0.62 degree C) above the 20th century average of 59.9 degrees F (15.5 degrees C).
    * Separately, the global ocean surface temperature for June 2009 was the warmest on record, 1.06 degrees F (0.59 degree C) above the 20th century average of 61.5 degrees F (16.4 degrees C).
    * Each hemisphere broke its June record for warmest ocean surface temperature. In the Northern Hemisphere, the warm anomaly of 1.17 degrees F (0.65 degree C) surpassed the previous record of 1.12 degrees F (0.62 degree C), set in 2005. The Southern Hemisphere’s increase of 0.99 degree F (0.55 degree C) exceeded the old record of 0.92 degree F (0.51 degree C), set in 1998.
    * The global land surface temperature for June 2009 was 1.26 degrees F (0.70 degree C) above the 20th century average of 55.9 degrees F (13.3 degrees C), and ranked as the sixth-warmest June on record.
    * El Niño is back after six straight months of increased sea-surface temperature anomalies. June sea surface temperatures in the region were more than 0.9 degree F (0.5 degree C) above average.
    * Terrestrial warmth was most notable in Africa. Considerable warmth also occurred in Siberia and in the lands around the Black and Mediterranean Seas. Cooler-than-average land locations included the U.S. Northern Plains, the Canadian Prairie Provinces, and central Asia.
    * Arctic sea ice covered an average of 4.4 million square miles (11.5 million square kilometers) during June, according to the National Snow and Ice Data Center. This is 5.6 percent below the 1979-2000 average extent. By contrast, the 2007 record for the least Arctic sea ice extent was 5.5 percent below average. Antarctic sea ice extent in June was 3.9 percent above the 1979-2000 average.
    * Heavy rain fell over central Europe, triggering mudslides and floods. Thirteen fatalities were reported. According to reports, this was central Europe's worst natural disaster since the 2002 floods that claimed 17 lives and caused nearly $3 billion in damages.

As for your contention that "2008 was wetter and cooler than many previous years," that doesn't appear to be the case if you look at NOAA's 2008 precipitation data, although temperature-wise some areas of the country certainly were colder than usual. But 2007 was drier than normal in many, if not most, parts of the country. Unfortunately, annual temperature data for the country are not available for 2007.

As for snowpack, here's what the National Climatic Data Center had to say in looking back at the winter of 2008-2009:

By the end of April the snowpack levels were at or slightly above normal for the Pacific Northwest. Some areas along the Oregon Coast Range and the Cascade Range of Washington received more than 200 percent of 1971-2000 snowfall normal. In contrast, the Sierra Nevada snowpack levels were as much as 50 percent below normal resulting in the third consecutive year of below average runoff. The Front Range of Colorado and much of the Rocky Mountains received some much needed late season snowfall that placed them around near normal levels for the season. The southern Rockies were not as fortunate, as some of those areas received less than 25 percent of normal snowfall this season. The runoff from the snowfall is a main component of annual water supply levels.

Thanks for your response, Kurt. I do take pride in looking at topics critically; we need more contrarians questioning dominant paradigms to check fundamentalism.

It will be interesting to see if the warmer, dryer summers continue. Right now, the temperature anomaly is zero, many regions have reported the the winter's snowpack as average, and 2008 was wetter and cooler than many previous years.

The future's a tricky thing.

• Traveler's Top Overlooks In the National Park System   5 years 19 weeks ago

While getting to the top of Half Dome is quite an accomplishment, I didn't think the view itself was that great. My recommendation for a better view from a peak in Yosemite would be from Clouds Rest.

Other vehicle accessible overlooks in Yosemite are Tunnel View as well as Washburn Point and Glacier Point.

• As Yellowstone National Park is to Wolves, Is Great Smoky Mountains National Park to Elk?   5 years 19 weeks ago

I was privilege to see one of the elks this past month on my visit to the Smokies!! I was a wonderful experience.....she was just standing by the road!!!

Frank, I think you enjoy being a contrarian.

Google the study in question, under the "news" category, and see what you come up with. In other stories the scientists spoke specifically of climate change as a driver in what's going on. Do they say that it's solely responsible? No. It's one element, but a "likely" contributor nonetheless. And if you've spent any time reading these studies, you know that the scientists always couch their conclusions with qualifiers.

"Although this study did not investigate the causes of decline, climate change is a likely contributor to these events and should be taken into consideration," said USGS scientist emeritus Jan van Wagtendonk, lead author of a paper describing the results in the latest issue of the journal Forest Ecology and Management. "Warmer conditions increase the length of the summer dry season and decrease the snowpack that provides much of the water for the growing season. A longer summer dry season can also reduce tree growth and vigor, and can reduce trees' ability to resist insects and pathogens.

I've looked at more than a few peer-reviewed studies on climate change over the past year or so and have talked to more than a few experts in the field. That said, what's going on around the West are lower snowpacks due to more warming and more frequent rain-on-snow events. You shrink the snowpacks, you shrink the amount of water available for trees throughout the summer, when they most need it, as Dr. van Wagtendonk notes above.