• UPDATED: Think You Have a Knack for Outdoor Photography? Here's a Chance to Show Your Stuff   5 years 23 weeks ago

Thanks for the comments. The previous two concerns are certainly valid, which is why I included the following information in the original story:

You'll find a complete list of rules and an entry form on-line. As is true of any contest, be sure to read them before submitting your photos.

I'm not promoting this contest, and have no involvement in it, but as an avid photographer who has had the good fortune to sell a few photos, I will point out that the type of rights granted by entering a photo in this contest are similar to many similar contests for outdoor photos.

If I read the rules correctly, those entering the contest do give the NPS permission to use the photo as they wish, at no cost. Perhaps that's an issue only if you envision the possibility of selling the photo yourself elsewhere.

The trade-off is that winners will have the satisfaction of seeing their work in print on a quality calendar, and getting credit for their work. Whether that potential satisfaction (and nice entry on your photo resume) off-sets the possible loss of a future sale of the same photo is a personal decision for each photographer.

The one item that might be a point of confusion in the rules is the statement, "All entries become the property of the National Park Service and will not be returned to the entrant." I took that to mean the physical copy of the photo entered becomes the "property of the NPS..." because the organizers don't want the time and expense involved in returning all of the items entered to the submitter.

It appears that what you're granting is a NON-exclusive license to the NPS by entering your photo, which I understand means that you're still free to do what you please with the photo elsewhere. You aren't giving away your ownership of the photo, only a license to use it as described - that's a pretty significant difference. If it's published as a result of your entry in the contest, the photo's market value would probably be diminished, at least for similar uses.

I'll see if I can get clarification from the contest organizers, and will post any follow-up information as a comment to this story.

I'd be happy to have anyone with expertise in the area of contract law for photographers weigh in on this - and by all means, please correct me if I'm wrong :-)

• NRA Appeals Ruling Blocking Concealed Carry in National Parks   5 years 23 weeks ago

oh, and just so all you CCW people know- i am a member of the NRA. i completely agree with the law to own and to carry. (i own 14 firearms). just not in the parks. those rules are in place for a good reason. i believe that it is more dangerous in downtown Seattle on a Saturday night than in the middle of nowhere at any time.

yet, i still don't feel the need to carry.

SKEETERS! you mean, the Alaskan state bird? those critters will be harrassing me on the entire trip. i am Alaskan sourdough- so i know how to deal with them. i will have a my trusty head net at the ready at all times. and i shall bathe in DDT! lol

so, i can bring some bear spray with me into Canada, eh? excellent! thank you very much, Anonymous. that is very good news. i worry about not being able to hang my food properly. (the further north you go, the smaller the trees get). i won't have much, but it takes very little to attract that very long nose. i've driven the Alcan twice, and i almost hit a black bear on the road. (and several moose, and mountain goats, and a porcupine).

i read a book by Elmer Keith, the man who designed the .44 MAG, (and .357 MAG). he took down a lot of animals with it. and he had a story of a brown bear coming into their camp in Alaska unexpectantly, and very upset. after reading that story, i knew my .44 wasn't ever going to be big enough. in fact, i'm willing to bet they wish they could have blasted that bear in the nose with spray!

two cans is a great idea. my brother and i will both have them in Yellowstone. Shoshone Lake has a history of bear attacks, albeit most are just quick confrontations and fake charges. i'm still much more concerned with the lone bison. those guys have no fear, and walk wherever they please. i completely agree with Frank N. about the people in the back country. very nice, courteous, and genuinely happy people out there.

i'm not surprised by Beamis. i've known many people like him- and i would never hike with ANY of them. EVER. they were the people i would have considered as "sketchy". i believe the psychological term is "paranoid". once upon a time while living in Alaska, my paranoid boss pulled his .25 auto out of his posket and pointed it at me to prove that carrying was a good idea. i immediately knocked it out of his hand, and pinned him to the wall. then he fired me. then the owner found out he pulled a gun. i got my job back, and my paranoid manager lost his! he did not have a license. definitely the paranoid sketchy type.

thank you for your kind wishes, Jim B and Anonymous. i cannot wait to get on the road again. yet another epic adventure. i'll be riding to the Arctic Circle, and all the way down to Homer. by myself. no gun required.

• A Sad Sign of the Times: NPS Promotes Body Armor Options To Rangers   5 years 23 weeks ago

The current law only allows guns if they are secured and the ammo is secured separately I can have gun just not on my person or concealed or easily available. That may be a problem in the back coutry since iti s hard to secure the ammo and gun separatly in a back pack or in a campground.
    I look forward to the time I can have can easily with me without it being concealed but that time is going to a long time away. The current injuction will probably stand.

The body armor is not a reaction to the proposed rule but to the fact that park rangers have a higher rate of assaults than FBI and the danger in particular parks is acute.

Sorry, I'm NOT comfortable with giving up the rights to my photos so I won't even consider entering.

• Upon Further Review: Pocahontas meets Hollywood   5 years 23 weeks ago

Thanks for your comment ... and for keeping your sense of humor on the job :-)

It's amazing how long questions persist after the movie's release, but it still shows up regularly on various TV channels, so I guess you're seeing a whole new generation of Pocahontas fans - and their questions !

• Upon Further Review: Pocahontas meets Hollywood   5 years 23 weeks ago

Thank you for the article, it made me laugh. I worked at Jamestown last summer and the movie questions were of constant humor for us. So...when did Pocahontas marry John Smith? Really, she was 11? I was fond of that rather large pagoda oak in the civil war earthenwork next to the fort though. Perhaps we will call that the talking tree...

Be sure to read the rules of the contest carefully. From the contest rules

"All entries become the property of the National Park Service and will not be returned to the entrant. Submission of an entry shall constitute the grant of a non-exclusive, royalty free license to the National Park Service, and its’ sublicensees, to reproduce, display, prepare derivative works, distribute to the public by sale or other transfer, and to utilize the photograph submitted for any governmental purpose, including but not limited to publication on the World Wide Web, interpretive publications, and commercial uses. Entrants further grant to the National Park Service the right of use and to publish their proper
    name and state of residence on the World Wide Web and in print, or in any other media in connection with the Contest. Acceptance of a prize constitutes permission for the National Park Service to use winners’ names and likeness for promotional purposes without additional compensation."

Make sure you're comfortable with these terms before entering the contest.

• Top 10 National Parks: Do You See Your Favorites in This Short Video?   5 years 23 weeks ago

Where is??? Where is ??? The answer is easy. It's not your Top 10 list, it's someone elses. Make up your own Top 10 List and you'll answer your questions!

• Descendants of Mesa Verde Anasazi Help Produce a Musical Masterpiece   5 years 23 weeks ago

Mumbo Jumbo, or mumbojumbo, is an English phrase or expression that denotes a confusing or meaningless subject. It is often used as humorous expression of criticism of middle-management and civil service non-speak, and of belief in something considered non-existent by the speaker.*

• Where To Look For Spring Wildflowers in Great Smoky Mountains National Park   5 years 23 weeks ago

Thanks for the information. Truly: Thanks!
    Regina

Body armor is not a new development in the NPS. It's been around for years - and should have been made widely available to rangers even earlier. Improvements in armor continue to be made, and the equipment provided to rangers should be upgraded at intervals.

The previous comment by "Anonymous" is well stated. The least the NPS can do is properly equip and train rangers for an often difficult and sometime dangerous job.

As to some previous comments - there is a significant difference between risks to visitors and risks to rangers by criminals who happen to be in parks - which is why the rangers who have been selected and trained to perform law enforcement duties should be armed.

As has been covered on multiple posts on a variety of articles on this site, the number of park visitors who are victims of violent crime is extremely low. Even bad people who are either passing through or intentionally visiting parks don't usually accost visitors, because they don't want to attract undue attention and end up in the slammer.

However, sometimes these bozos do attract the attention of a ranger by doing something stupid - often a traffic violation. In that case, when the individual who may be wanted for another offense realizes that he is now at risk of being identified and arrested, the situation is much different, and the risk to the ranger is sometimes very real. In other cases, the person may not be wanted for a previous crime, but is simply a dangerous idiot who decides he doesn't want to be arrested.

Park visitors aren't expected to confront drunk or reckless drivers to keep them from harming innocent motorists on park roads, and visitors aren't expected to confront poachers, or drug smugglers, or dope dealers, or .... That's one reason visitors are very rarely at risk in parks - because rangers are dealing with those individuals.

There's absolutely no way to know how many rangers lives have been saved because the ranger was armed, and the criminal decided not to press his luck, or the ranger was able to keep the upper hand due to training and equipment - including body armor and weapons. However, if they are expected to perform law enforcement duties, rangers should certainly be properly equipped for the job.

A different "Anonymous" a few comments earlier said

"The police and law enforcement groups have gotten out of control in this country feeding us all crap "we are being outgunned by the criminals!" they say. Oh yeah? Has ANYONE seen any credible increase in the criminals using, carrying and killing with automatic weapons?

Since you asked, and obviously need a little information:

1. Ranger Kris Eggle was shot and killed in 2002 at Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument in Arizona. The murderer was a criminal fleeing Mexican authorities. He reportedly used an AK-47 against the ranger.

2. Ranger Joe Kolodski was shot from ambush and killed by man reportedly armed with a .308 rifle. The incident occurred on the Blue Ridge Parkway in 1998. Perhaps not an automatic weapon, but clearly superior, long-distance firepower as compared to the ranger's handgun or shotgun.

Other ranger deaths illustrate the risk of "routine car stops" or other "routine duties."

3. Ranger Robert McGhee was shot and killed after making a traffic stop at Gulf Islands National Seashore in 1998.

4. Steve Renard Makuakane-Jarrell was killed in a small park in Hawaii in 1999. Reports said he was contacted by visitors who complained that a man had several large dogs running loose which may have been threatening other visitors. The ranger was shot and killed during the contact with this individual.

5. Ranger Ken Patrick was shot and killed at Point Reyes National Seashore in 1973. Reports indicate he made a car stop on 3 men suspected of being poachers. They turned out to be violent members of the Black Panther group and opened fire when the ranger approached their vehicle.

To those who object to the sight of a ranger wearing a firearm - at least one report of the murder of Ranger Patrick states that he never had a chance to draw his weapon in self-defense. Why? He was wearing it out of sight, under his uniform coat. A L.A. Times story about the incident said, "At the time, it was common for rangers to keep their weapons out of sight so as not to frighten park visitors."

Although everyone still doesn't agree, I'm thankful that policies no longer put that needless burden on rangers.

• Remains of Professor Who Went Missing in Canyonlands National Park Found in Needles District   5 years 23 weeks ago

Ray, thanks. - First Anonymous (if I keep coming back here, I may just have to get an ID!)

Would somebody out there please explain the meaning of the term "mumbo jumbo" to Anon? If he is going to be a bigot, he should at least be a literate bigot.

• National Park Designation is an Unholy Mess   5 years 23 weeks ago

Cape Hatteras National Seashore in not a bizarre anomaly. Rather Cape Hatteras was the first National Seashore. And the definition assigned to this new type of unit was as follows.

Primarily a seashore is a recreation area. Therefore in its selection, the boundaries should be placed in such a manner that the maximum variety of recreation is provided. Thus while provision for bathing may be the first consideration of these areas, it must be kept in mind that a far greater number of people will be more interested in using a seashore area for other recreational purposes. It is desirable therefore to provide ample shoreline for all types of beach recreation. The Cape Hatteras National Seashore provides such an area in that there is extensive shoreline for all forms of recreation both for immediate use and for future development.

• "A Wildlife Crisis of Unprecedented Proportions"   5 years 23 weeks ago

My Laymen's logic has me wondering if it is a coincidence that creatures whose food source is insects are now dying off from fungal diseases.
    I have to wonder what insecticides and other pesticides may have done to alter the immune systems of bats and amphibians.
    I Also wonder if it is merely a coincidence that white Nose Syndrome came on the scene at the same time as West Nile Virus.

More cultural diversity mumbo jumbo staged for the camera.

• "A Wildlife Crisis of Unprecedented Proportions"   5 years 23 weeks ago

annfro -

Thanks for the excellent additional information!

Re: whether bats are "cute and cuddly," I'll plead guilty to making a guess about the attitudes of the general population, most of whom probably have limited experience with bats. They are fascinating animals, and I hope more people will learn to appreciate them.

To be quite honest, I was only on the computer looking for a site that showed a measurement sheet for my own body armor since I am about to go work in a National Park. I believe that one comment above stated "minimalist gear" that the early park rangers wore, and it made me laugh. People have this idea that rangers have always been the nature loving man in the woods. Up until the 1970's, any person who worked for a park could carry a firearm (that would be your friendly park maintenance worker too.) That didn't work out so well in Yosemite, and now only trained LE rangers can carry firearms. Imagine a park where any untrained yahoo can carry a firearm! Oh wait...2nd amendment...not yet.

I understand how people believe they have a right to their public lands- I agree. However, the park service, much like other land agencies, has a duty to more than one mission. There will always be different groups with different opinions on how they should be allowed to use their land, and there will always be groups that do not use their land appropriately. I myself would like all the protection I can get- if I am going into a drug grow/Domestic/felony car stop/etc....(insert any crime that happens in a city because those parks can be like little cities) I want to be sure that I am protected. I am appointed to protect myself, others, and my park- and I should be given all the equipment I need to accomplish that task. So, I’ll continue to look for that dang body armor measuring sheet.

Just remember...criminals recreate too.

Ray Bane, I love your spirit and spunk...well said! In regards to Mr. Wolff, I'm sure his soul finally found true peace with nature...for nature is bliss.

• "A Wildlife Crisis of Unprecedented Proportions"   5 years 23 weeks ago

It goes beyond "irritating" the skin, I have read that necropsies of affected bats show that the fungus has invaded the subcutaneous tissue!

I have to disagree with the not "cute and cuddly", many bats have very cute little faces, and their fur is softer than most cats and dogs... They are just too tiny to cuddle!

The WNS fungus (Geomyces sp.) is different than the Chytrid fungus (Batrachochytrium dendrobatidis, Bd) that is affecting amphibians.

I applaud GRSM for taking such a proactive approach in protecting the bat populations in the park, and I hope other national parks and sites will do the same.

Believe me, you will likely have lots to live for well past 65. I am pushing 73, and life continues to be rewarding and challenging. In August my wife and I will celebrate 50 years of marriage. Keep active and involved. Remember, life and living are not necessarily one in the same. Living is what you do with life.

• "A Wildlife Crisis of Unprecedented Proportions"   5 years 24 weeks ago

Get out your wallet! I have never seen a doppler of the inside of a cave. Boy oh boy.

• "A Wildlife Crisis of Unprecedented Proportions"   5 years 24 weeks ago

I didn't want to go into too much detail in the original article, but the mechanism of the fungus seems to be that it irritates the bats' skin during hibernation. As a result, the bats become active when they should be "sleeping," and burn up food reserves needed to carry them until food (i.e. insects) is available again in the spring. Some scientists believe the actual cause of death is malnutrition and/or dehydration resulting from this abnormal activity.

• Remains of Professor Who Went Missing in Canyonlands National Park Found in Needles District   5 years 24 weeks ago

This is a sad story. I hope that when I am 65 years of age (in the not too distant future), that I will have more to live for, much more, than this poor fellow had, apparently. What a way to end one's life, all alone, in a beautiful but desolate canyon, with no one to mourn.