• Forest Service Drawing Line On Mountain Bikers in Potential Wilderness, National Park Service Agrees   5 years 31 weeks ago

I agree with Mr Carroll, a wilderness area should be a wilderness area ! We have a chance to once again to do the right thing and save some of these areas as WILDERNESS !!! Once wilderness is gone, it is gone forever so let's do it now !

There are plenty of places where people can play with their toys (mountain bikes, snowmobiles, off road vehicles), there needs to be places where nature can just be nature at its best. The federal lands should have something for everyone, including Mother Nature herself.

My experience on shared trails is: The bikers are rude and don't always stay on the trails. They are yelling to communicate instead stopping to communicate in a more quiet voice. My vote would be to keep them off the trails. Let them fight with automobiles on the paved roads.

• It's Official: Picky Yosemite National Park Bears Prefer Their Meals in Minivans   5 years 31 weeks ago

This preference for minivans aside, Yosemite bears have always had their favorite models of cars. In the past (I don't know if this still holds true), Hondas and Toyotas were easiest to break into. Mother bears have taught their cubs how to peel open car window frames “like a banana.”

• Is It "Elitist" To Try to Visit All 58 National Parks?   5 years 31 weeks ago

Those are sure enough gorgeous NPS units, Marcy, but both Pictured Rocks and Sleeping Bear Dunes are designated National Lakeshore, not National Park. There are four national lakeshores in all. The other two are Indiana Dunes (at southern end of Lake Michigan) and Apostle Islands (in Wisconsin on Lake Superior).

• Is It Too Early To Plan A Winter Trip to Rocky Mountain National Park? Naaaahhhh.   5 years 31 weeks ago

I once spent four days walking on snowshoes breaking trail for my dog team in order to travel less than fifty miles. The snow was deep and powdery with a granular base. No one had been over it the entire winter. Local Indian trappers said that snow conditions were too difficult even for snowmobiles. My work required that I reach the next village, Bettles, and continue on to Anaktuvuk, an Eskimo village further north. It turned out to be one of the most difficult stretches of mushing I experienced during my time in Alaska. The only way to make progress was to pack the snow in front of the dogs and help them move the sled. We were on the trail for twelve or more hours a day. In many places It was necessary to go over the same stretch twice to pack it down enough for the dogs to get firm footing. Even then it was necessary to walk in front of the sled just behind the last pair of dogs while guiding the sled with a pole lashed to its side near the bow (referred to as a "gee pole") to keep the sled tracking the trail. At the end of the day camp had to be set up, dogs staked out, food cooked for the dogs, harnesses dried and, finally, fix a meal for myself. Five to six hours of sleep and it was time to break camp, load up, harness the dogs and do it again. It was absolute drudgery. I recall that the same day I made it to the next village three Indians from the village I had left came over my train on snowmobiles making the trip in a few hours. I later traveled over the same trail after it had been packed. The team easily made the trip in about seven hours and were still fresh at the end of the day. Every time I look at a pair of snowshoes I remember that trip.

• Is It "Elitist" To Try to Visit All 58 National Parks?   5 years 31 weeks ago

I Don't know if these 2 parks are what you're looking for but they are beautiful and well worth a trip. The first one is Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore Munising, MI in the upper peninsula, with the gorgeous shoreline of Lake Superior, waterfalls and of course the Pictured Rocks. The second one is Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore Empire, MI. with Lake Michigan and its lovely shoreline and huge sand dunes and a couple of islands to boot.

• Columbus Day is also Native American Day   5 years 31 weeks ago

Why don't we just rename it Italian New-World-Explorers' Day. In addition to Columbus and Cabot(o), there was also Giovanni da Verrazzano.
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giovanni_da_Verrazzano/

• Is It "Elitist" To Try to Visit All 58 National Parks?   5 years 31 weeks ago

Different strokes for different folks. Writer Keith Goetzman is a snob. A snob is a type of elitist. Therefore, this legend in his own mind is an elitist. Who died and put him in charge of determining how people should visit the National Parks?

Park collecting is not for me. I like to spend at least a few days to a couple of weeks at each park that I visit. I believe that this allows me to see a national park more in depth than windshield tourist do. By seeing the national parks in this manner, I have left the crowds behind me and see things not possible to be seen from the road. However, I realize that what satisfies me is not what satisfies many other people and that not everyone has the time and/or money to take as long as I have taken for some of my vacations in the past.

The important thing is that people go out and enjoy the national parks in the ways which most suit them. The national parks are for everyone, not just some self-appointed experts.

• Is It "Elitist" To Try to Visit All 58 National Parks?   5 years 31 weeks ago

I've been to 46. Elitist and Proud!

• Jon Jarvis Supports More Official Wilderness in National Park System   5 years 31 weeks ago

I agree, some of have had to work all of our life and didn't have the time to take to explore wilderness. We all don't work for uncle sam or have a trust fund.

• Is It "Elitist" To Try to Visit All 58 National Parks?   5 years 31 weeks ago

This is the NPS website that breaks down all of the current 391 units by category:
    http://www.nps.gov/pub_aff/refdesk/classlst.pdf [Ed: If you click on this link, it will take you directly to the list and ask if you want to save the pdf. It's a small file, only around 110 kb.]

I am a member of the NPTC and am attempting to get to all 391 units of the National Park Service. I think that it's up to each individual to decide what they get out of a visit. I've been lucky enough to get to 309 of the units (42 of the 58 National Parks), and will continue my quest.

I'm retired and this is what I do instead of going to a job everyday.

• Is It "Elitist" To Try to Visit All 58 National Parks?   5 years 31 weeks ago

If Keith wants to get me a job working in Wrangell-St. Elias NP, I'd be guaranteed to get a good "wilderness" experience too.
    Sounds to me like he's compensating.

• Creature Feature: Meet the Asian Swamp Eel, "the Animal Equivalent of the Kudzu Vine?"   5 years 31 weeks ago

A few years ago while catching crayfish in a creek we also caught what we thought was a salamander. We put it in our fish tank alone with some other small fish and the crayfish, it was approx 6 inches long at that time. Now it has grown to approx 2 1/2 feet long and eats everthing else in the tank. Now that it is bigger and after doing research we have discovered that it is the swamp eel. It looks identical to what you have in this video. A couple of times he got out of the tank and we found him under the couch in the living room. We live in Florida southwest of Jacksonville. Can you give me an idea of what to do with him (not really sure if it a male or female?). I'm also wondering how he got in the creek this far north of the everglades?
    We don't want to put him back in the creek so any ideas would be helpful.

• At New River Gorge National River, an Iconic Bridge Attracts Suicide Jumpers   5 years 31 weeks ago

Putting up barricades on these landmarks might be a good idea but like the New River Gorge Bridge most "scenic" areas have more than one location to leap from. On each side of the bridge, is walkways and overlooks that are as easily to access as the span itself...I live about 2 hours from there and have visited it several times.. As I walk across it this weekend on Bridge Day, my family and I will condone a moment of silence to those who has lost their lives here... GODSPEED..

Brad,
    Upon Googling U.S. National Parks List, Wikipedia gave what looks like a very thorough list by state. There are 61 entries but as it explained some are mentioned twice if the park overlaps two states. For example, Yellowstone is mentioned in Idaho, Montana and Wyoming. Great Smoky Mountains are in Tennessee and North Carolina. The two territories, Am. Samoa and U.S. Virgin Islands, are also included.

Subtracting the "three" duplicates, I think the math will come out correct for your count of 58. Please double check the calculation!

Agreed; that's a beautiful place in winter. The book "Snowshoeing Colorado" by Claire Walter describes several snowshoeing trails in Rocky Mountain in fairly good detail.

Another consideration in the backcountry in winter: avalanche safety. I took a course in it through Colorado Mtn. School in Estes Park a couple years ago and learned a lot.

• Is It "Elitist" To Try to Visit All 58 National Parks?   5 years 31 weeks ago

I've been to 191 units (29 NP's by my rough count) and my 13-year-old son has seen 113 units. Every site is important to me. We've made it a part of our kids' homeschooling. Horseback riding in Teddy Roosevelt NP. Digging for fossils near Fossil Butte. Next year, now that my son is older, I hope to hike across the Grand Canyon with him, and yeah, we'll spend a few hours at Wupatki and a few a Sunset Crater. Book history is fine, but if you can visit the birthplaces of Abraham Lincoln, Teddy Roosevelt, and George Washington you're more likely to INSPIRE kids rather than just educate them. I've made this a priority in my life. We sold the huge house and downsized. Now we're selling our land adjacent to the C&O Canal NHP so we can afford to see the rest. Only an elitist would be insulted by the elitist label. I couldn't care less what someone else thinks.

• Is It "Elitist" To Try to Visit All 58 National Parks?   5 years 31 weeks ago

Kirby is right on. I've visited most of the national parks of the eastern part of the US, but never thought of "collecting" them. What a super idea. You don't have to be wealthy either. You go, Roxanne! I can't think of a better use for your time. Mr. Goetzman needs to get out more.

• Climbing is Capped at Mount McKinley and Climbers are Left to Wonder What’s Next   5 years 31 weeks ago

Would it be OK to put quotas on the trade routes, but not on the more challenging routes?

• Is It "Elitist" To Try to Visit All 58 National Parks?   5 years 31 weeks ago

Who cares what the environazis at Utne think. They always think they know what the rest of us should be doing. I've been to about 15 or so NPs and NMs and will continue to visit as I see fit.

• Is It "Elitist" To Try to Visit All 58 National Parks?   5 years 31 weeks ago

I'm up to 19 although it would have been 20 if a certain tropical storm didn't mess with my plans to visit Key West and then Dry Tortugas NP. I rescheduled the trip to Key West but didn't have enough time to take the ferry to Fort Jeffeson in Dry Tortugas NP.

There are places where the economy is heavily based on people visiting from far distances. The visitor economy in Hawaii or Florida is heavily dependent on visitors from all over the US and the world. I have no pangs of guilt about visiting Hawai'i Volcanoes NP or venturing to Everglades NP. These were wonderful experiences that I'll remember for the rest of my life. Visiting Alaska one of these days is a distinct goal, although I have the feeling I'll never visit Kobuk Valley NP or Gates of the Arctic NP. I've seen visitors in Yosemite from all over the world. I'd hate there to be some sort of limit (perhaps a lottery) on visitors that depends on how far they've traveled.

The sentiment about "carbon footprint" may be a valid one but the reality is that people live in the modern world. I don't know if it's more "elitist" to actually make a goal of visiting all these units or if it's more "elitist" to decry that other people choose to visit places that they consider wonderful.

The ONLY reason that so many climbers are on the big mountain is because they can be flown halfway up it and be dropped off at 7,200 feet on the kahiltna glacier. Take away that one hour flight, and you have to walk for a week up the Granite, Pika, And Kahiltna glaciers..to get to that part of the park. Take away the commercial landing strip up there, and you'd see the number of climbing parties plummet to less than 1/3 of what it is today. Sure, more parties would go up the muldrow....but, after climbing up there over the last 20 years, I'd say that only 1/3 of the parties I see up on the west buttress would even have the small amount of gumption required to walk the "whopping" 20 miles in to get to the Muldrow glacier...carrying those 100+ lb packs.
    This is the only solution to separating the wheat from the chaff on that mountain, and reducing the alleged "overuse" of the mountain resources.

• Is It "Elitist" To Try to Visit All 58 National Parks?   5 years 31 weeks ago

Brad - looks like others have already answered you, but since I had been having the same problem, I thought that I would post the website I'd found that lists the different units in the system, actually grouped per type:

• Is It "Elitist" To Try to Visit All 58 National Parks?   5 years 31 weeks ago

I'm up to 23 NPs, with 6 of the new ones being added this year. I've had the time - I've been unemployed, living on unemployment pay, with no jobs available to even apply for, since mid-January. I have a small SUV (Ford Escape) that gets decent gas mileage (gas that would normally be spent on getting me to & from work) that I've been primitive tent camping out of across the west (live in Colorado), taking a week or so per trip, one trip per month. I've also done return visits to 3 parks, all of which I've been to a number of times before. And I have 2 more new ones I plan to mark off my list of all 58 in the next couple months (assuming continued unemployment). I'm not driving around the parks or hanging out at the lodges (or campground) either - I've hiked literally hundreds of miles in the parks this year (& taken thousands of pictures :-). I've tried to get to know each park as much as possible in the time I've had. I've also been to a lot of the other units of the National Park system over the years - I grew up in northern Indiana, lived in the northeast, Florida, & Alaska, before moving to Colorado, & I've taken advantage of proximity to these great places. And always on a low budget (for instance, went to college in AK, giving me low budget access to its wonders). And I have had an amazingly fortunate life - one that I've worked to make just that, nothing given to me, & by no means rich or elitist. Just very determined to find (creative when necessary) means to accomplish my goals, one of which is to make it to all 58 unique NPs, no matter how that sounds to someone else. :-) So while I do understand the point that (I think) Mr. Goetzman was making & agree to some extent, it was far too narrow a sentiment, & once again, I think Kurt's hit it right...

• Pruning the Parks: Castle Pinckney National Monument (1933-1956)   5 years 31 weeks ago

Trying to put enough money together for such a project is a sobering thought, Anon, and any proposed use of the site would have to deal with the fact that it's a National Register listed property. I'm not at all surprised that Castle Pinckney is languishing out there in the harbor. It just doesn't get any love.