• How Familiar Are You With Yosemite National Park?   5 years 28 weeks ago

Here are a few of the landmarks I've identified in the photo above. I'm by no means an expert. I'm sure many of you can add more, and I may be wrong on some of them too!

Here's a higher resolution copy of the photo:

And something for you SEKI fans (ie; SEquoia and KIng's Canyon National Parks):

Enjoy!

• Falling Into the Grand Canyon Isn't Always Fatal   5 years 28 weeks ago

Davepol,

In most cases, the NPS picks up the tab. It's extremely rare for SAR targets to be handed a bill in the park system.

• Falling Into the Grand Canyon Isn't Always Fatal   5 years 28 weeks ago

A good arguement but flawed from the point if one or two people were moved by the power of the place to cross the fence of a electrical sub-station and climb one of the transformers causing the loss of life and loss of power to hundreds it would be punishable because it is trespassing on private property. While the Grand Canyon is National land the boundaries are there just the same for our protection. You have the privilege of being able to cross those boundaries because of your job. You have the skill and knowledge of how to cross those boundaries safely. Like the employee of the power company. Most of us don't have that privilege.

• Falling Into the Grand Canyon Isn't Always Fatal   5 years 28 weeks ago

I'm pretty sure the cost of NPS search and rescue operations is picked up by the individual--just like an ambulance ride?

• Falling Into the Grand Canyon Isn't Always Fatal   5 years 28 weeks ago

I seemed to have touched a nerve. I am not suggesting that anyone stay home in lew of enjoying the great out doors and the grand canyon should be seen by everyone before they die. But with our money bailing out this company and that company and a whole slew of us out of work or in threat of us being out of work, lets use what little sense we have and stay within the bounds the experts dictate as a safe distance and not bring more problems on ourselves and others. I too am glad she wasn't hurt seriously or killed.

• Running Lava Falls In Grand Canyon National Park: What Would Major Powell Think?   5 years 28 weeks ago

Steven M. Bumgardner
    Videographer/Producer

Require is a strong word, but Arizona Fish & Game, working on chub restoration (http://www.azgfd.gov/w_c/research_humpback_chub.shtml), was using motorized rafts to electro-shock non-native fish. Their "patrol" area around the mouth of the Little Colorado goes a couple of miles downstream, and then "requires" that they return back upstream through a few small rapids back to their basecamp.

I'm definitely not an advocate for motorized recreation, and I think the term 'motor sports' is an oxymoron. I was shocked to see so many motorized boats on the Grand Canyon. I had no idea. But by day 7 of my trip, in a place as immense as the Grand Canyon, with millions of visitors coming to the park each year, I started realizing that a little outboard motor stuck on the back of a raft was a very powerful and practical tool, and I wouldn't hold my breath thinking that it might someday go away.

BTW, Superintendent Martin floated down the Colorado River this spring, in a motorized boat.

• Falling Into the Grand Canyon Isn't Always Fatal   5 years 28 weeks ago

I'm not worried about what the cost to tax payers was....I'm just glad she survived the ordeal. Those rescue workers are trained and ready for just such an event and tax dollars ensure that those resources are there for you too, God forbid you should ever need them. My hat goes off to those brave souls that were there to help her and my heart goes out to the woman and her family. It must've given them quite a scare and hopefully a renewed appreciation for life.

When Grand Canyon's current superintendent, Steve Martin, was a young river ranger there, the NPS patrolled the river in oar-powered rafts. At one time, I believe they even had a dory. Too bad those days are gone. The management of the Colorado does not REQUIRE motorized boats, but it is easier that way.

Rick Smith

Steven M. Bumgardner
    Videographer/Producer

Thanks, Kurt, for the tip of the hat.

To answer your questions about how many, that's a set answer. Rafting the Colorado in the Grand Canyon is heavily regulated (http://www.nps.gov/grca/parkmgmt/crmp.htm). My impression is that the largest impact of motor rafts is sound disturbance from the motors. All camps are below the high water line, and I must say that Wilderness River Adventures runs a tight ship, and we always left a spotless camp behind us.

The idea of building trams to Half Dome or Grand Teton have actually been suggested in the past (of course, wilderness designation precludes such developments today), but of course, what you're talking about is development, creating new infrastructure that will persist 24/7. That's very different than a motor boat interrupting your serentity for the 5 to 10 minutes it takes for it to pass you.

One final thought: The management of the Colorado requires the use of motorized boats, and on our trip, we passed 3 different NPS boats (all motorized), 2 USGS science trips (motorized) and an Arizona Fish & Game crew at the Little Colorado (about 6 motorized boats.)

• Going to Olympic National Park this Summer? Plan Ahead Due to Major Bridge Work   5 years 28 weeks ago

Tahoma -

Thanks for the update. A week ahead of schedule for a project of this magnitude is pretty impressive!

First off, I was remiss in not identifying Steve as the videographer of the HD version. His works in Yosemite have shown up elsewhere on the Traveler and his eye has opened up much of the national parks to folks who otherwise might not have seen them.

As for the "industrialization" comment, let me recount a short story. In college back in West Virginia I spent weekends guiding white-water trips on the Cheat and New rivers. Early on in that "career" our trips would have the rivers to ourselves. There were few other raft companies, and those that did exist were spaced out nicely so you could sense some solitude. By the end of my college days, these river trips had turned into what I've called Rubbermaid convoys, with one trip backing up behind another at the head of a rapid. The experience of being in a river canyon with a small group of people, the feeling of being out in nature, had been greatly diminished not only by the other trips in front and behind you, but by the associated pressure of having to race through the rapid so the next trip could do the same.

Should Colorado River trips turn into that? How many engine-powered rafts carrying a dozen or more passengers charging down the river should there be? How does that impact the experience, let alone the resources (any idea how many groovers are needed for these commercial runs?)? How "easy" should these sorts of experiences be made for visitors?

Should there be a tram to the top of Half Dome or the Grand Teton in the cause of allowing more folks to experience the view from atop those wonderful places? Or should they remain as they are, making your ascent that much more of an achievement?

Those are tricky questions the Park Service has to balance in coming up with answers. But I fear that if we focus on perfecting the "ease" of enjoying these experiences that we'll lose something much, much more valuable.

• Falling Into the Grand Canyon Isn't Always Fatal   5 years 28 weeks ago

I'm kind of with Scofield on this one IF the woman strayed off the marked trails deliberately. There are always accidents--animals fall, ground gives way, etc. But I too have no sympathy if someone steps over the safety area as if the warniing signs weren't even there. That's death, or injury, by stupid. "Deaths in Yellowstone" is a great book with some hair-raising stories of incredibly stupid people who think they're in Disneyland instead of a natioal park. But the story doesn't say why the woman fell, so let's give her the benefit of the doubt until we know more. If it was accident by stupid, then hell yeah she ought to reimburse the park service. If it wasn't, then thank God she lived.

Steven M. Bumgardner
    Videographer/Producer

As the person who shot and edited the footage of the motor powered raft, I'd like to share my thoughts. Floating down the Grand Canyon has always been a life goal of mine, and I was thrilled to have the chance last month when I picked up this freelance gig. I'd always assumed that I'd run the Colorado with my friends, in human powered rafts and kayaks, and I'm not the type to book a trip with one of the big river companies. Of course, to run 200 miles of river takes a big chunk of time, usually at least 3 weeks, and of course, most people (except retirees and the unemployed) don't have that much vacation time. A 7 day power raft trip does allow a lot of people to have this amazing experience. It probably isn't as powerful of an experience that a longer, human powered trip would be, but let's compare that with the South Rim. We seem to accept that it's okay for 3-4 million people to drive there and peek over the edge. Perhaps they should all walk there? The South Rim is far more industrialized (Railroads, buses, old power plants, uranium mines, etc.) than the river corridor.

Personally, I think Powell would have preferred a nice, big S-Rig w/ a 60 horse Honda outboard motor, but instead, he used the tools he had.

• Falling Into the Grand Canyon Isn't Always Fatal   5 years 28 weeks ago

Steven M. Bumgardner
    Videographer/Producer

Maybe everyone should just stay home. They might fall in the canyon, or get in a car wreck, and then cost taxpayers money. It's just not worth it! Let's sell the land to developers, or build dams to generate power, or dig up the minerals and start getting a return on investment from these "National Parks" instead of just providing places where generations of people can connect with their natural and cultural heritage. After all, even though millions of people visit the South Rim each year, it's just not worth the cost of rescuing the one or two who were moved by the power of the place to get a little closer than they should have.

• How Familiar Are You With Yosemite National Park?   5 years 28 weeks ago

Years ago -- too many to remember -- Sandy and I were on a flight from Las Vegas to San Francisco. I had gotten myself a fine window seat on the port side of the plane, and there I sat with camera poised, ready to get some great photos of the Sierras. As I was about to take the first photo, the pilot came on the intercom to tell those of us on the port side of the plane that we should keep a sharp eye out for the space shuttle. By coincidence, it happened to be headed for a landing at whatchamacallit airbase in southern California at that exact moment. (I can't remember if it was landing there because of bad weather in Florida or what.) We didn't spot the space shuttle, darn it, so I had to settle for some pretty good photos of the Sierras.

• Falling Into the Grand Canyon Isn't Always Fatal   5 years 28 weeks ago

I might have gone with a different title for this article. Tourists are already a little too comfortable near the edge of the Canyon.

This article title appears at first glance to indicate a volcanic eruption in the canyon... Perhaps Rafting Lava Falls, would convey the point better?

• Body Recovered in Grand Canyon National Park; Thought to Be That Of Missing Hiker   5 years 28 weeks ago

He should not have been alone.

• How Familiar Are You With Yosemite National Park?   5 years 28 weeks ago

Yay Yosemite!!
    Yay SEKI!!!
    Have a good weekend :)

• SUV Goes Over The Rim Near Bighorn Canyon National Recreation Area   5 years 28 weeks ago

[The last sentence should read] "They reported that the vehicle had been left in neutral."

• Falling Into the Grand Canyon Isn't Always Fatal   5 years 28 weeks ago

Wow. I am just glad she is ok! Sure, she should have been more careful toward the edge, but how many taxpayer dollars that were spent and/or if a ticket was issued should be the least of anyone's concerns. Maybe R Scofield needs to think about his priorities.

• Falling Into the Grand Canyon Isn't Always Fatal   5 years 28 weeks ago

How much did that cost the taxpayers? When someone has to use the rescue personnel do they get a ticket or a fine? The Park Service goes to great lengths to provide safe and attractive overlooks. Sure the view is more spectacular closer to the edge, but it is not so pretty on the way down.

I say we put the wooden canoes back on the river and let Humphrey Bogart captain one. That would make a great movie. Wait that's already been done. Never mind.

Oh, for heaven's sake. Industrialized? I am hard pressed to believe that an outboard motor in the muddy Colorado threatens to impair Grand Canyon. For that matter, it's an act of wild projection to suppose that Powell would somehow be offended at the thought of an easier trip down the Colorado.

If motors offend, take a paddle tour. If rafts offend, take a dory. But let's not get our knickers in a twist just because more customers prefer the safety and relative ease of a motorized trip.

• How Familiar Are You With Yosemite National Park?   5 years 28 weeks ago

Many years ago Delta had an early AM flight from Fresno to Reno using an old beat-up 727. I flew on it many times when I lived in Fresno and was working on a project in the Reno area. The flight passed over Yosemite just above the minimum allowed altitude, so the view was spectacular. Each time the pilot would make a brief announcement about it, then he would dip the right wing way down as he flew over to allow a better view from the windows. It was almost like a sight seeing flight!

Most south to north flights from the LA area to Sacramento, Reno, and Oregon allow excellent views (assuming clear weather) of Sequoia, Kings Canyon, Yosemite, and Lake Tahoe. Get a window seat on the right side of the plane.