• Rescue from Death Canyon at Grand Teton National Park   5 years 30 weeks ago

Our family and friends were hiking that trail on that day and saw the helicoptor transporting the injured climbers. Kudos to the rescue team!

• Updated: Missing Backpacker Found in Good Condition in Great Smoky Mountains National Park   5 years 30 weeks ago

I guess I didn't read the other entries about this (I'm not into the "park accident of the day" posts). But I do have to say "God bless this man who can go backpacking across the park at 70 years old!"

---------------------------------------------------------

My travels through the National Park System: americaincontext.com

He was probably just doing what he loves to do. Hiking the trails.

• Federal Judge Issues Scathing Opinion in Blocking "Concealed Carry" In National Parks, Wildlife Refuges   5 years 30 weeks ago

"I'm sorry but you have no legitimate need to protect yourself in the national forests. Our great rangers will protect you.... Oh and criminals obey the law as it stands..." Green Li9bertarian.

You seem to be a little confused. Where did you hear that it is illegal to carry a firearm in a national forest? Laws governing personal firearms in a national forest are usually in keeping with local state laws. Chances are that the murder victims were killed in a national forest where the possession of firearms is legal. Obviously, the right to carry did not save them.

• Battle Against Marijuana Growers Temporarily Closes Crystal Cave at Sequoia National Park   5 years 30 weeks ago

Anonymous asked

Barky, in all do respect...why?

when I disagreed about the National Guard fighting drug growers in the national parks.

Here's why: you use the right tool for the right job. The National Guard is a great organization for supporting the Army in times of war. It's a great organization for responding to natural crises. It's a good (but not great) organization when used to quell riots or prison breaks. But it's a terrible organization to include in law enforcement activities. They are not law enforcement, they are a military force. Growing pot in parks is a law enforcement problem, not a military problem.

If there was a situation where heavy firepower made law enforcement moot, and greater weaponry was needed, then I'm sure they could ask the Guard to get involved, but law enforcement would HAVE to be in charge of the whole operation. The Guard would just provide the heavy equipment.

Use the right tool for the right job. Military people for military problems, law enforcement for law enforcement problems.

==========================================

My travels through the National Park System: americaincontext.com

Who cares what the law reads? Uh, you can put me down for that one, Anon.

• Shenandoah National Park Ranger Roy Sullivan Set the World Record for Being Hit by Lightning   5 years 30 weeks ago

I can neither confirm nor deny any of the stories regarding Mr. Sulllivan. I will assert, however, that I have met several people in my lifetime that have been struck by lightening MORE than one time each. I have researched this phenomenon, and I believe that, once you have been struck, your energy field changes, and you become more likely to be struck repeatedly. These people did not possess less-than-average intelligence, and they were clearly not attempting to induce lightening strikes when they occurred.

I found this website while looking to see who had been hit the most. SOmething tells me that there are others out there that have been struck by lightening as many, if not more, times. I would love to hear your stories, if you are one of those people!

I always carry concealed in the parks. The main word concealed. Who cares what the law reads. Concealed. No ranger will ever frisk you, and if they do, then you are a problem person anyway.

• Traveler's Gear Box: Take A Stick When You Go For a Hike   5 years 30 weeks ago

Thanks for pointing that out, Michel. For those interested in comparing, here's a link to Black Diamond's trekking pole page:

• Updated: 7-Year-old Dies At Acadia National Park As Hurricane Bill's Waves Wash Three Into Atlantic, Injure 13   5 years 30 weeks ago

Well my family and I were at the Acadia Park that day.First we decided to go to Sand Beach and like everyone we walked along the beach.I told my husband that I thought that water was powerful and it scared me.So we continued on our walk on the beach.My 8 year daughter and I removed our sandals and decided to go further away from the crowd.We were very far from the water and out of nowhere a wave came all the way to where we were and threw me down...I was holding on to my daughter for dear life!I told my husband I had seen enough so we continued on our journey.We went all around the rocks and watched the water hit...mind you we stopped alot.I took so many pictures.We stopped where the tragedy happened and took pictures and a Ranger told us not to go close that it was dangerous,I agreed and backed off.I couldn't help but notice all the people on the rocks taking pictures and just standind there.I then advised my husband that I wanted to leave because all this scared me.I told him someone was definetly gonna get hurt today.My 6th sense was kicking in for sure!I had parked our car on the side of the road so we proceeded to get in ,camera in one hand.I sat down in the car and all of a sudden out of nowhere this big wave splashed and I couldn't help but see a lady walking in the path getting drenched!We looked to see for the people sitting on the rocks and left!I took pictures and when I checked the following day the time on my picture was 11:51a.m.I am sooooooooo glad I didn't witness it!I will stay clear of the ocean from now on....I have learned to never and I mean never under estimate the power and force of mother nature.Being a mom of an 8 year old.I cannot express what I feel for those parents.God had a plan!

I have a pair of Black Diamond sticks that provides the same kind of locking mechanism. Very worth the price.

Bat, you're absolutely right about being civil and not condescending. And at the Traveler the last thing we expect is for everyone to be in agreement. We encourage and welcome debate and discussion ... as long as it's conducted with civility. That's harder for some than others. We try to be judicious in monitoring comments.

Over the years we've exhibited a wide latitude. Frankly, we've got better things to do than serve as hall monitors. But after individuals have been cautioned -- in some cases repeatedly -- about the tenor and pointedness of their comments, comments that are directed at a specific individual rather than made in a more general nature, we feel there's little recourse but to rein things in.

2 Virginia Tech Students Found Murdered in Forest

• Ancient Mammal Footprints Excite Paleontologists at Dinosaur National Monument   5 years 30 weeks ago

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.

Betty

• Searchers Set to Resume Search For Backpacker Missing in Great Smoky Mountains National Park   5 years 30 weeks ago

Reading this report only makes it more evident that even the most prepared, experienced hikers can find themselves in the worst of situations. I hope and pray to hear good news soon and am glad to hear that dogs are now being used in the search. My thoughts are with the family and friends of Morgan right now. Keep looking!

• Woman Dies in Fall From Angel's Landing   5 years 30 weeks ago

It amazes me that there are people who believe there should be "signs", fences , gates, anchored safety lines, etc.... to warn of danger. Humans evolved as a result of the ability to properly react to danger, adapt and survive. The "safety nets" are a recent addition to the world. If a person can't recognize the danger, can't, or won't, acknowledge their own limitations, and continues beyond their ability to cope with the situation, there are consequences. One must be willing to accept those consequences. However, thought also needs to be given to causing others to put themselves at risk to rescue, or recover, your unfortunate rear-end. Quit posting signs. Quit placing aids to navigation (i.e. anchored lines) and lets get back to insisting people exercise personal responsibility for success, or failure. Too many "aids" and signs give too many unqualified people access to areas they shouldn't be in. Not everybody should go everywhere. What makes a risk "reasonable" is proper preparation and skill development. If you don't prepare, don't blame others for not putting a sign up. It's your own fault. Own it, and remember, there's somebody at home that will miss you. So get out there, enjoy, explore and push the limits, within your limits.

I am suprised that this story has not engendered any respose. This man has evidently given of himself to the NPS and the AT. Again, it shows that even with expertise and experience that things go awry. Let us hope that there is a chance that he may still be found and my heart goes out to his family and those who are searching for their friend and colleague.

• Woman Dies in Fall From Angel's Landing   5 years 30 weeks ago

I was there last month and people were hiking the trail with really young kids and flip flops. Not too smart. I didn't do it although I've hiked it 2 previous times and didn't feel like I needed the adrenaline rush this time plus maybe I'm getting old. I wanted to make 2 points specifically about Angel's Landing: (1) It's a little dangerous but most technical climbing gives people more exposure. On the A.L. trail, You have a foot or two between you and the edge and there really is no reason to fear falling except if its icy in the wintertime and I believe they close it then. The foot or two in the narrow parts doesn't seem like a lot to me when I'm hiking it but if you are careful you will be OK. My second point (2) is that Angel's Landing is the parks most famous trail but if you want beautiful hiking and views of the park without quite the extreme drop-off do the West Rim and / or Observation Point (unless you are in great shape probably not both in the same day). I've hiked all over the country and these 2 are close to the top on my list of all time favorite hikes.

Of course it is possible to be civil and not be condescending; but if everyone agreed with everyone else there would be no point to having a forum. Some are better at being tactful than others. I for one do enjoy the articles and occasionally have an opinion to offer. This is your site and it is up to you to decide if our comments will be welcome.

Your pretentious pontificating isn't necessary and, frankly, is belittling. Should I take you up on your recent request to be deleted from the Traveler?

By all means, please.

Especially if my "pretentious pontification" is more belittling and deserves harsher retribution than anonymous comments that use the phrase "illegal trash growing weed". It's ok to call Mexicans "illegal trash"? And my comments are belittling?

And then "SOB" and "damn" and "low life" and "hell" and "low life scum".

So, again, if my comment is so horrible in comparison, delete my account.

Frank, what do you advocate in resolving the pot issue in our national parks? You seem to slam government at every twist and turn, and NEVER offer any concrete ideas or solutions...except mock and criticize.

• Two Forest Fires Burning In Yosemite National Park   5 years 30 weeks ago

According to the homepage of the NPS (National Park Service) at least one of the fires was the result of a prescribed burn getting out of control -- does this sound vaguely familiar???????

Frank,

I usually let this one go, but...

our = possessive pronoun. Example: "This is our heritage."
    are = third-person plural form of the verb to be. Example: "We are going camping."

Tricky homonym. And a homonym of homonym is hominem, as in ad hominem, which is an attack and goes against NPT's code of conduct, FYI.

As for "a few" being "rather meek" about taking on those growing pot in national parks, I think Anonymous has mistaken criticism of federal drug policy for spinelessness. It is precisely these government drug policies that have led to the degradation of national park resources.

"...taking care of a few pot heads..."

Almost 100,000,000 Americans, or about a third of the population, have admitted to smoking marijuana. This is more than "a few" pot heads. And if cannabis were decriminalized, it could be industrially farmed, and stories like this one would disappear from the headlines. Interestingly, alcohol prohibition also resulted in resource degradation in parks, as people made makeshift stills in many parks; Mushpot Cave at Lava Beds National Monument still has the remnants of a gin still. Ending prohibition ended these practices.

The war on drugs costs upwards of $30 billion a year, which is enough to wipe out the NPS maintenance backlog or fund the NPS for 10-15 years. Our government is teetering on bankruptcy, and the FDIC is on the brink of collapse as banks are going under at an increasing rate. How long can we go on throwing money down the drug war rat hole? Time to end prohibition.

• Boy Lost in South Africa's Kruger National Park Among Lions, Elephants and More   5 years 30 weeks ago

It's ridiculous to even have to write such a Code of Conduct--apparently common sense disappeared with the dinosaurs. We were on safari in Kenya when the van ahead of us got a flat tire. It was approaching dusk and in the grassland all around us you could see lions prowling--even crossing the road we were on ahead off and in back of us. They were everywhere. But instead of staying in the van while the driver fixed the tire, all of the idiot tourists in that van got out and decided to take a little walking safari. We were so astounded in our van that we were joking about the kinds of once-in-a-lifetime pictures we were about to take when the lions picked up their :"take-out dinner.". Fortunately the driver used due speed and drove the morons out of there. How do people get to be so stupid? That's no reflection on the poor boy but it's like putting on a package of sleeping pills the warning "May cause drowsiness." You actually have to tell people in a wildlife park not to stick their hands and heads out the windows? God help us.