• The New National Parks Index: 2009-2011 is Now Available Online   5 years 28 weeks ago

Michael,

They're both BLM units, not NPS.

I can't find mention of the Grand Staircase Escalante National Monument (almost 1.9 million acres in Utah that I enjoy visiting every year), or the Carrizo Plain National Monument. Did I miss some details in the lengthy beginning of the book that may have described limitations that explain this?

• National Park Mystery Photo 12 Revealed: It's Voyageurs National Park   5 years 29 weeks ago

That's a nice photo. I grew up at Kabetogama Lake which is the gateway to Voyageurs National Park (VNP). It is the only national park in Minnesota. It was named after the French Canadian Voyageurs who used the interconnected lakes to travel, fur trade, and whatever else they did. VNP is a water park with 55 miles on the US and Canadian borders. The Kabetogama Peninsula takes about a week to voyage by canoe or kayak, and there are several free camp sites enroute on a first come first serve basis. There are no fees to enter and use the park. It is called God's Country by those who have ever been there.

The Bald Eagle population has increased nicely and people can view the eagles at VNP more than any other national park. What beautiful birds!

I could go on and on...I love it at Voyageurs, its my favorite place in the world.

• Fall From Tokopah Falls Kills Visitor to Sequoia National Park   5 years 29 weeks ago

Diana. I am so sorry for your loss. My name is Matt Bretz. I was the first person to arrive with Stouffer at the bottom of the cliff and together we did everything we could to keep Kevin alive. I will be at the funeral regardless. But I am hopeful that I might also get in touch with family and/or Stouffer before hand. Please feel free to contact me directly at . also, javier, you and i spoke immediately after kevin fell. i am very grateful to you for running and getting help. please drop me a line if you are inclined. I would like to hear more of what happened with you.

• Did You Hear the One About President Obama's Trip To Yellowstone National Park?   5 years 29 weeks ago

I hate to disabuse all us national park lovers, but this visit has nothing to do with the national parks. So don't get your hopes up.

In the middle of a recession, Obama is vacationing in a multi-million dollar mansion on a island of millionaires. He knew he'd take a lot of flak for that so he's getting some photo-ops in the national parks to try and blunt the criticism. He's not going to the national parks to help the national parks. He's going to try and help Obama.

Glad to see President Obama and the family hitting the national parks. A very nice introduction to the national parks as a family unit. Hopefully, the American public will give President Obama the same grace as they gave the Bush & Cheney administration (after eight years of ruinous and bitter rancor) to succeed in running the government. Welcome to the national parks Mr. President!

Not sure what you're talking about when you mention "hate," Gary. But while President Bush might be retired, the impacts he's had on public lands policy, and on public lands themselves, didn't go away with the change in administrations. That's not a partisan comment, it's simply a fact of life. Just as many of those policies and decisions implemented by the Clinton administration didn't vanish overnight, either, nor those of the previous administrations. They're all part of history with ramifications that continue today.

As for President Obama and his administration, they're fair game, too. Their decision not to block the rule change for concealed weapons in the parks was disappointing, as was their decision to remove wolves in the Rocky Mountains from the endangered species list protection. And their most certainly will be decisions in the future that we disagree with. And we'll point them out.

• Where in the World is Paul Fugate?   5 years 29 weeks ago

There are a number of mines, caves in the park. Has the NPS ever carried out a thorough search of these places for human remains?

I thought this was a forum about National Parks? I thought it was non-partisan? I guess you are showing your true colors; why so much hate? Bush has been gone for months now, give it a rest.

C'mon Country Girl, the Traveler can't be everywhere.

For those wondering what she's griping about, there was a rally in Salt Lake City last week in which some 3000 off-road vehicle enthusiasts rallied to complain about limits on where on the public landscape they can ride. The roots of the protest date to the Sagebrush Rebellion movement of the 1970s and 1980s during which local governments protested against how the federal government was managing public lands. In an extreme case, San Juan County (Utah) officials used a bulldozer to gouge roads into Wilderness Study Areas.

For the curious, an excellent book on the Sagebrush Rebellion is Federal Land, Western Anger, the Sagebrush Rebellion and Environmental Politics by R. McGreggor Cawley. Though first published 16 years ago, the book provides an exceptional history on the sagebrush rebels. But one of the book's conclusions likely won't sit well with Country Girl or those who attended the Salt Lake rally:

The Sagebrush Rebellion marked the beginning of a period in which virtually every assumption about federal land policy underwent challenge and reconsideration. To be sure, the major assumptions -- that public lands should remain in federal ownership and that they should be managed under the mandates enacted in the 1960s and 1970s -- were reaffirmed by this process. But other assumptions did not fair so well. It is no longer possible, for example, to talk about conservation as if it possessed a widely accepted meaning. In a similar fashion, references to environmentalism must take into account both the moderate/radical distinction, and the differentiation among radical environmental postures. And since these shifts in the dialogue represent arguments that will not be resolved in the near future, there is reason to suspect that the controversy surrounding the Sagebrush Rebellion transformed the structure of the policy dialogue.

Indeed, the debate over federal land management and ownership can be volatile, and those who wade in should be passingly familiar with the Tragedy of the Commons. A deeper discussion would be intriguing. However, the Traveler focuses on national park issues, and the parks were not a focal point of the rebellion nor of the rally in Salt Lake City.

And as for Anonymous, abuse political power and taxpayers' money? At least President Obama didn't land on a U.S. Navy aircraft carrier and announce "mission accomplished";-)

• Should Anything Be Done With Angel's Landing?   5 years 29 weeks ago

We hiked Angels Landing on August 10th 2009 the day after a woman fell - our condolences to the family, they must be devastated. (We didn't know about this until after we came down.) This is an absolutely beautiful and exciting hike, but you have to be aware that you are risking death in choosing to do it. We went on this hike as a family, my husband and I (both age 41), a son (age 15) and a daughter (age 13). We have all done other "non-technical climbs". What was scary was that a man in front of us tripped, while trying to take a photo and caught himself 6 inches from the edge. Later we found out about the woman who had died the day before. I would not recommend this unless you also have experience with non-technical climbs, are wearing good shoes, and I think my daughter (age 13) was a bit young for it. Certainly don't take small children with you.

I don't think Zion National Park accurately explains the risk in describing the hike. One ranger in the visitors center described it to me as "very safe". I think perhaps some more photos and/or a more explicit warning might be useful. However, the trail should not be closed. It is a beautiful trail.

Let me compare it to some other hikes in the "rock scramble", "non-technincal climb" category that we've done prior to this one. We live in the Northeast, so the prior hikes we have done in this category are: Breakneck Ridge (NY), Kaaterskill Falls - upper falls (NY), Precipice (Acadia, Maine), Beehive (Acadia, Maine), Caps Ridge Trail (Jefferson Mountain, NH). Only Precipice comes close and is not as dangerous.

Why is this hike more dangerous than the above hikes:
    1. Unlike the above hikes, where drops range from 60 to 300 ft and sometimes there is a lower ledge, these drops are 800-1200 ft and therefore there is no chance of surviving a fall.
    2. For this hike the "dangerous section" is .4 miles and then you have to return on the same path, so for .8 miles you are always within 1-3 steps from the edge. On most of the above hikes the part in which you are close to the the edge is only a short section.
    3. Since there is no "loop", you are passing people going both ways on the same trail. In general people wait in a part without chains and then go forward when the other group passes, but not always. At one point I was decending with my 13 yr old daughter and some people came up a section and we had to pass around them - scary.
    4. Cliffs are on both sides, not sure this is more dangerous - just tends to freak a person out more than having a cliff on one side.
    5. There is sand present. In the hollow areas, there is a lot of sand. I recommend before going across one of the rock areas, that you "stomp your feet" and make sure to lose the sand so you don't slip.
    6. Again, of the above climbs only Precipice (Acadia) is similar to this one. However, if I remember correctly, in Precipice you are usually walking on flat rock (1-2 ft wide) along a sheer face or climbing up iron rungs. On Angels Landing, the rock you are on has a slant down in the direction of the cliff (you need shoes with good traction) or you are scrambling up a section of rock and if you were to fall off of that section the sheer drop would be right behind you. You definitely don't have room for error.

What is nice about this hike:
    1. Absolutely beautiful.
    2. Exhilerating.
    3. Bragging rights.

Not sure if we would do this hike again, or perhaps next time without the kids.

Very well said. I would like to read your opinion on last weeks " Take Back Utah" But 3000 outdoor enthusiast riding down state street of Salt Lake City, to the capital on four wheelers, horses, and jeeps to listen to Hatch and others speak about Washington closing Utah wasn't deemed by you of interest to the rest of your readers.
    Perhaps everyone should take your advise to the Obamas and not just drive through the parks, but explore what will soon be closed to them.

• Picking a Lot of Apples This Day Helps Keep the Bears Away in Yosemite National Park   5 years 29 weeks ago

i thought and always hear that the idea was to keep everything in its natural state. the apple trees are not natural and though they might be nice, they are causing a problem with an animal that is natural. for instance, the wolves in yellowstone, the lake trout in glacier park. is it one or the other?

Just another example how the Obama family abuse their political power and the taxpayers money.
    Is he ever going to stop campaigning??????

• Heat Claims the Life of Boy Stranded for Five Days in Isolated Area of Death Valley National Park   5 years 29 weeks ago

I live in Telluride, Co, and my Garmin wants me to go over high backcountry 4x4 mountain passes all the time when I put in a destination. I am sure other people who don't live here get sent down these all the time. It seems like Garmin will be sued over these one day before they make the corrections.

• Half Dome Hiker Falls to His Death in Yosemite   5 years 29 weeks ago

I did Half Dome about 6 years ago at the age of 47. I would only comment that from the bottom of the cables, you do not realize that what you can see at the bottom is only half of the ascent and that it gets much steeper as you go along. I think this misleads some people. The only warning sign is about the weather. I think a sign stating how many have fallen to their deaths since a certain date in time might at least jolt a few parents that this is no place for young children. A warning that better than average arm strength will be required might help as well. By all means, do NOT take down the cables. I consider that hike one of the top thrills of my life and I'm sure I'm not the only one. People should be allowed to assess the risk and proceed at their own risk.

When I visited DV a few years ago, there was a survival story from a few years back from the local paper posted prominently at the Furnace Creek Visitors Center. Family of 5, car broke down in the back country. They waited 1 day and when no one came by, they knew they would soon run out of water. They waited until dusk, dad put his youngest on his shoulders, and they took off walking back the way they came. They eventually made it out to a road where someone came by and found them. If this mother and son could have managed 3 mi/hr, they could have covered 30 miles in 10 hours. I know you're tought to stay put when lost, and that's sage advice over 95% of the time. But when you're looking at blistering heat and a dwindling water supply, that rule does not always apply. Compound that with the fact that you told no one specifically where you were going and when you would be back. As for the dog, it was a dachsund. A small dog with little fur could likely survive on minimal water resting under the vehicle.

• The New National Parks Index: 2009-2011 is Now Available Online   5 years 29 weeks ago

You're right, Nick. Death Valley is certainly not the lowest point in the Western Hemisphere. That distinction is held by San Julian's Great Depression in Argentina (which is also the lowest point in the Southern Hemisphere). At 105 meters below sea level, San Julian's beats Death Valley's Badwater site by a whopping 19 meters.

And, it's got a mistake... (well, at least one mistake)...

Death Valley is not the lowest point in the Western Hemisphere! That was *so* 1995.

• Half Dome Hiker Falls to His Death in Yosemite   5 years 29 weeks ago

The NPS folks do a GREAT JOB! The problem is that there has been an increase in individual stupidity, lack of hike preparation, and inability to recognize personal safety concerns.

Most unfortunate and tragic incident to say the least. Perhaps a little education by watching some of these outdoor survival shows could possibly enhance ones knowledge on the practicality and basic application of outdoor survival skills. I keep thinking too many Americans are watching silly sitcom shows and getting fat like a couch potato, instead should be watching something more worthwhile like a good documentary film on outdoor camping skills and etiquette. A good book or two on such matters could possibly save ones life. Being outdoors is a total learning experience but don't the learn the hard way and be foolish enough not to know where your water resources are and basic needs.

• Flash Flood Leads to Rescue of 200+ Campers at Ozark National Scenic Riverways   5 years 29 weeks ago

Hi. I was there and from what I seen is that it was every man for him self,but there where a few thats was helping each other. As for as the Rangers they showed up to late and when they did show up it was to late for the people in the 100's campsite,they where the last to get out and had to be boated out.On that note, they (Rangers) need to think about getting some kind of air boats just because the prop driven boats are not good when props get damage and it puts people in risk of drowning. The first boat in had that same problem and had 3 young lady's in the boat and the boat died and they where pushed againest a tree and brush, we thought that they where going to be washed down river. Now for the Rangers that showed up they mainly was trying to get the people out of the upper level out first', as for the Ranger that was suppose to be in the campground was not there and there should be someone there at all times just for this raeson. I had one of the Rangers tell me to go on and do what we had to do and come back in 2 hrs, what was there to do when are car was still in the campground you could not go no where except walk up to the general store and the reason why we could not enter to get are cars so others would not steel others camping stuff,come on there was not anything there anybody wanted and most of the stuff has had already been washed down river. As for the warning system, a joke. If that storm was any closer it could had been worse and lives could have been lost. I've been going there since the 60's and this is the first for me. My suggestin is that if it rains,someone should stay awake and do not camp in lower end of campgrounds. Now that has been said could I get some pic's of that night from some of you that was there if you have them. Thanks and have a safe trip.

• Reader Participation Day: What's Your Favorite National Park Trail?   5 years 29 weeks ago

If your ever in Maui, Hawaii try this one. I love the 12 mile Sliding sands trail to Halemalu cabin and up the switchbacks. If you do it you need to leave early in the day. I don't recommend an out and back on sliding sands as its too hard to go back up. Bring lunch, layered clothing, lots of water and suncreen for your neck/face unless you want to be a redneck. hiking at 8,500 feet can be a challenge so make sure you are up for the challenge. What you can do is park at the visitor center. When you finish the trail walk thru the parking lot cross the street and walk down the short trail to hiker pick up. Most times it shouldn't talk long to hitch a ride as it is a posted spot for pick ups and hitchhiking is legal here in Hawaii. Any questions feel free to let meknow as I used to lead this hike as a tour guide I did it 25 times or so. Enjoy!!

• Upon Further Review: "But My GPS Unit Said Go Thataway..."   5 years 29 weeks ago

My husband and I recently went on a vacation in the Lewis and Clark NF in MT and we had bought a Garmin GPS jsut for our trip, so we could find trials and mark waypoints and such. But I will tell you, they aren't always correct in marking trails-many of the roads/trails we drove on either were way off or was a hiking trial or even a fence line! It was a good thing that we brought with topo maps and NFS maps from the ranger station in White Sulfur Springs. But even those maps can be decieving-we drove up to Yogo Pk (8801ft) on a trail marked as a 'highway legal vehicle" trail only. Try more like an ATV trail/horseback trail. We ended up at the top of Yogo Pk, with a sheer cliff on loose rock in our Xterra. So the moral of this story is: Be prepared! lol

• Glacier National Park Officials Decide to Remove Grizzly Bear Family From Park   5 years 29 weeks ago

In defense of R. Stefancik: many pathology and even general biology programs do not require courses in population genetics or evolution, and some such courses are badly taught & superficial.

The general concept is local adaptation: geographically disjunct populations may have genes for locally adaptive traits. You generally don't want to mix genes across populations and thus risk losing locally-adapted genes.