• Dog Owner Cited After Pit Bull Attacks a Deer at Great Smoky Mountains National Park   5 years 34 weeks ago

For goodness sakes, Leash laws started being enacted over 30 years ago, because many dogs WILL CHASE and injure wildlife, other domestic animals and people if given the opportunity. 30 years ago literally thousands of farm animals and wildlife were injured or killed by loose roaming dogs EVERY year.
    Stop, people, this isn't about Pit bulls or German Shepherds, it's about predatory behavior - which all dogs have.
    Keep ALL dogs on leashes for the safety of ALL.

• Ahwahnee Hotel in Yosemite National Park Could Shut Down For Structural Strengthening   5 years 34 weeks ago

It's not a question of corporate greed. It's a matter of the National Park Service allowing the work. The Ahwahnee has national historic landmark status. The concessionaire can't paint a public bathroom in it without NPS approval.

...and if they decide to take down the metal balcony on the 6th floor, I want it. After all, my grandfather built it and put it there...

• Seasons Greetings! It's the Autumnal Equinox -- or Maybe the September Equinox   5 years 34 weeks ago

In the nearly 39 years of my life, no one has ever wished me a "Happy Autumnal Equinox" or harvest home, harvest tide, Cornucopia, Feast of Avilon, Alban Elfed, Festival of Dionysus, Mabon, Night of the Hunter, Second Harvest Festival, Wine Harvest, Witch's Thanksgiving, and of course, the first day of autumn. Hence, I do not care what "they"call it. Now will someone please pass me a Sams' October Fest?

• Half Dome Hiker Falls to His Death in Yosemite   5 years 34 weeks ago

I just hiked Half Dome this past weekend and it's my second time. Both times I'm SHOCKED at the lack of respect for this rock. It's a sheer, smoothed piece of granite that we're climbing only because we can pull our weight up by the cables and the little wood step that's given to us. I just witnessed a father take 2 of his sons up around 12 years. One of them was mentally challenged and had difficulties climbing up. This started a huge traffic jam. I rested on each step for over 1 minute to 5 minutes waiting to go forward. My arms were killing me. Some people were starting to just turn around in the middle of their climb because of the traffic jam caused by the father and son. On the way down, it took even longer as I got caught behind the father and son. The mentally challenged son couldn't move and the father had to coax the son and help him on each step. It was sooooo painful to watch because I was thinking I would never put my children in this kind of danger. I also saw people climbing this with moccasins, bare feet, and flip flops. I've done it twice and I'm still amazed at how people don't realize how difficult it is climbing this granite even in top form. I understand that even if you're prepared with correct equipment and shoes, tragedy happens, which is why I'm still amazed at the lack of respect for this climb.

• Haleakala Visitor Deaths Yield $5 Million Settlement   5 years 34 weeks ago

Not a nice subject, but nicely written and nicely perspected. A word to the wise.

Bah Humbug back at y'all!

Maybe I'm grumpy because we had snow in the foothills and 50deg for a high for our last day of (northern) summer (winter equinox??), but calling it "September equinox" is a pretty small step toward thinking globally about global phenomena. The point is that today the sun rose due east and set due west everywhere on earth. Today day length changes most rapidly everywhere on earth: shortening in the north, lengthening in the south. "Autumnal" only applies locally where days are shortening.

ps: don't get me started about "vernal pools", which have nothing in common between New England forests and southern California chaparral.

Why does it have to be "hemispherically neutral"? A hemisphere is not a person. I live in the northern hemisphere, so it will be the fall equinox, thank you very much. BTW, on the Gulf coast of Florida, we don't have autumn, so it has to be fall.

Let the scientists call it what they want to call it, and I will call it what I want to call it. It is not offensive to me that they want to say "September Equinox". By the same token, it should not be offensive to them if I continue to call it "autumn equinox". But if it is offensive to them... oh well!!

• Yellowstone Grizzlies Are Back on the Threatened Species List   5 years 34 weeks ago

This is good news. As in the case with polar bears, it's not so much the bears that are endangered as the habitat. If the habitat goes, the bears go. Also, there are far too many bears being killed by people; hunters by "mistake" or because of conflict especially. Many areas near the park should be closed to hunting.

• Lost to Hurricanes, the Flamingo Lodge at Everglades National Park Will be Hard to Replace   5 years 34 weeks ago

My heart breaks everytime I read an article about the Flamingo Lodge, as the Sales & Marketing Manager for a few years and park resident for 5 years, this was home...mosquitoes and all. I just can't imagine I will never be able to take my children there, heck I always planned to work there again during my retirement years..

• Driving Trail Ridge Road and Other Fall Travel Information for Rocky Mountain National Park   5 years 34 weeks ago

TRAVEL LOCALLY:

If you are currently traveling near National Parks, or just a regular in the parks near your home-- Get involved in this week's festivities.
    Did everyone know that ALL National Parks are holding an event on September 26th--- Public Lands Day? Get excited for the premiere of Ken Burns' new documentary The National Parks: America's Best Idea by volunteering and celebrating in the National Parks near you. Learn more @ www.nps.gov/September26

I'll compromise...if I ever go to the southern hemisphere I'll be sure and wish them a happy spring equinox. Til then...it's fall equinox for me.

Ranger Holly

• At Gateway Arch, a Two-Week Blackout Benefits Migrating Birds   5 years 34 weeks ago

As a former long-time Park Ranger at JEFF and a native to the area, I think that turning out the lights is more than symbolic. The lights at the Arch are directed UP at the building and, consequently straight into sky, while the other lights in downtown and in most towns is shining down to the ground for our benefit. So by removing the spotlights from the sky, the Park Service should have exactly the results that are intended.

Enough of this political correctness already!!! I don't even like the term! If they are worried about offending someone, then they should just shut their mouths! There is always someone, somewhere who will be offended no matter what is decided or said so just be yourself and use a little bit of respect, common sense, and decency. Enough said.

The moral of this story is **very** important, I personally have gotten tired of running other people's trouble seeking dogs off while I'm hiking in the smokies with my 3 german shepherd dogs (on leash).

However ... 100 pound Pitt Bull? Give me a break! I'm so tired of every Tom, Dick, and Hairy dog that I read about (causing trouble) being automatically referred to as a "Pitt Bull". I want to see a picture of this beast if he is truly a Pitt, because 100# is just astounding! I've trained and rescued/rehabilitated well over 90 Pitt Bull type dogs ... funny that I've never come across one this gigantic. Let's not do this breed any more injustice and just remember that a dog is a dog is a dog. Pitts are no more monsters than an untrained Labrador is a monster (and yes, I've met my share of mean-as-snake Labs), but they do unfortunately attract ill-intentioned owners as well as owners that do not have the skills to handle this strong, athletic, hard-headed breed (but think it would "be cool" to own a "tough" dog).

For the love of dogs, anyone with 1/2 a brain cell should be able to remember that the media is all about *flair* ... unfortunately for the Pitts, it's just not as flashy of a story when it reads "Retriever Mix Mauls So and So"

• The National Parks, Our American Landscape   5 years 34 weeks ago

Kurt,
    You can never have to many coffee table books with pictures of National Parks. My favorite park to take photos in, is always Yellowstone. I was in the park in 1988 during the fires. Wish I took more pics but was able to get some spectacular shots of fire plumes from the top of Washburn. I also got great photos of wild life in many different trips of Trumpeter Swans and their babies on the river in front of Mt. Haines. I did get great shots of Grizzlies after I went digital off the road near Washburn in 2003. We also experienced the changes in coyote from the wolf introduction. We had a coyote beg at our vehicle for food (we knew better than to support their habit). This made for a very interesting close up shots that rival the best. I use many of my National Park photos for my screen saver that can bring up great personal memories and make me long for new ones. As for landscape pics, the variety in Yellowstone is wide (Bechler corner water falls were awesome). But I also enjoy any National Park in Utah. Bryce and Zion (the narrows hike) the best.
    I will check out the book but I suggest your own Photo album can always get your mind to remember your love of the Parks best.

• New “Roots in the River” Documentary Chronicles Congaree National Park History   5 years 34 weeks ago

I had a chance to preview the documentary - don't miss it! Betsy and her team have woven together quite a unique story...after viewing you'll want to hit the road to the CNP!

I have to say that the pit bull is getting a bad reputation. No dog is dangerous to people unless it's taught to be. Pit bulls aren't anymore likely to attack a person than any other dog. The different with them is that they were bred to have very strong jaws and don't let go. This is why they're used in dog fighting. I've been around dogs my entire life and have never had a problem with a pit bull, but I have been attacked by a german shepard, a dalmation, and a lab. Any dog is likely to go after an animal though because they are hunters...hence the leash law in parks.

Ranger Holly

AT Hiker -

Your comment brought to mind an experience I had while hiking a trail in a park in Alaska last summer. In that location, the understory vegetation was thick and I was remaining alert for bears, so it would be an understatement to say I was startled as I approached a trail junction and caught the motion of a large black animal out of the corner of my eye. It only took a second or so to realize that the 4-legged beast headed toward me at high speed was a very large (and fortunately friendly) dog, but I could have avoided a test of my cardiac health if the owner had kept his dog on a leash!

• Dog Owner Cited After Pit Bull Attacks a Deer at Great Smoky Mountains National Park   5 years 35 weeks ago

This does not surprise me. My husband and I have traveled to GSMNP for 35 years and there is always a number of people who just think the rules don't apply to them. When was the last time you read the headline that the owner of a pitbull was mauled by that same pitbull? I know that any dog has the nature to chase another animal, but I don't know of anyother breed that makes the headlines more often. As said above a small child could have been the target in the campground. While hiking the trails in the Smokies I have run into many people who have their dogs with them and when the dog sees me starts barking...a natural defense of his master. "Oh, he won't bite" the owner says....well, I beg to differ....he has teeth plus he doesn't know me and I don't know him. As a responsible pet owner please follow the rules for everyone's sake.

Brilliant. Just what I want -- a 100-lb pit bull mix roaming unleashed in the forest with my kids. And yet people are frenzied over people with carry permits bringing (gasp) their guns with them. I need it to protect my child when this idiot's pit bull comes after us.

• Yellowstone Grizzlies Are Back on the Threatened Species List   5 years 35 weeks ago

This is the same judge who has suggested in a recent ruling that he's likely to rule in favor or re-listing the wolf in Montana and Idaho, though he did refuse to stop the wolf hunt that is now ongoing in those states.

• Cape Lookout National Seashore To Mark 150th Anniversary of Lighthouse This Fall   5 years 35 weeks ago

I suggest you send this information to the Superintendent of the park. You can use the contact information you find at www.nps.gov Simply click on Cape Lookout and go to "contact us." I am sure the park's historian will want to talk to you.

Rick Smith

I am a descendants of at least two of the Cape Lookout Lighthouse Keepers and Cape Lookout Life Saving Station.

M. J. Davis (Melvin Jennings Davis, Jr.) is my Great-grandfather. (Ruth Ann Davis Nelson (his daughter) my Grandmother)
    Thomas R. Nelson (Thomas Ruffin Nelson) is my Grandfather. (son-in-law of Melvin Jennings Davis, Jr. and husband of his daughter Ruth Ann Davis Nelson.

There are several others on the Keepers and Life Savers list that are related as uncles and cousins.

I received notice of this event from one of my nephews , Tommy Hinson, and his mother, Dorothy Nelson Lynch, one of my sisters from Beaufort, N.C., We have four other sisters with this same relation: MaryRuth Nelson Potter (Beaufort, NC), Margaret Nelson Willis Rodecker (Beaufort, NC), Nancy Nelson Hill Babbitt (Atlantic, NC), Nancy Nelson Grubb (Phoenix, AZ), and me, Elizabeth Caroline Nelson "Betsy" Bykerk (Prescott, AZ).

Our Father is Thomas Harold Nelson of Marshallberg, son of Thomas Ruffin Nelson and RuthAnn Davis Nelson, and Grandson of Melvin Jennings Davis, Jr. all of Marshallberg, NC.

I notified this site a year or two ago, but have not been notified except by these relatives mentioned above. I would definitely like to get this information documented with the Part Service and the Waterfowl Museum. How do I do so?

• Next Time You're In D.C., Check Out Teddy's Island   5 years 35 weeks ago

A turkey?!? Wow, my best sightings on Roosevelt Island have been herons and big black rat snakes. Thanks for the great history -- it's fun to imagine people in their finery and fancy houses. And it's all the more amazing to think of all the native plants there knowing they have come back after the island was more cultivated.