• Group Seeks To Intevene In Court Case Concerning Armed Visitors in National Parks   5 years 38 weeks ago

BobR, You self proclaimed expert that probably doesn't no the difference between automatic firearms, and semi-auto firearms that are legal. The anti-gunners said that before it was pass concealed and carry in my State Of Minnesota, that there would be shootouts like the old wild west. Guess what, they were blowing smoke out of their orifice! It never happened, in fact the Chief of Police in St.Paul,MN has said there has been no problems with the law! You know people have been mauled in Glacier and Denali Federal Parks, why deny, it by bears. Your reasoning doesn't make any sense, a person should not have the right to defend themselves against a bear attack!!! The Supreme Court just ruled you should have the right to defend your self with a firearm!! There is more danger driving through that park with your auto, then being shoot!! Look at the facts don't ignore them like Handgun Control Inc. does.

• Where the Bighorns Are   5 years 38 weeks ago

A nice photo and a nice tie-in with the rock outcrop in the background. For me, Yellowstone is so fascinating because you can find so much wildlife and varied geology in one park.

rob
    ---
    Executive Director,
    Crater Lake Institute
    www.craterlakeinstitute.com
    Robert Mutch Photography,
    www.robmutch.com

• Rangers Catch Snowmobilers Riding Illegally in Yellowstone National Park's Backcountry   5 years 38 weeks ago

It's also not hard to understand because the boundary is very clearly marked both by the Western Boundary trail, as well as a gazillion signs.

BobR, you may want to do more research on concealed weapons laws before making such inaccurate statements. CWs are allowed in both public buildings and stores. Depending on the state and the store there might, and I stress might, be certain restrictions but that doesn't mean can't. Just out of curiosity, has there ever been a case of an animal mauling a person in a National Park, a kidnapping, a murder? I know that if my family or yours was threatened by any of these things, et.al, I would be pretty upset that I wasn't able to defend against it and/or prevent it from happening because by carrying I would be infringing on your rights. By the way, what right am I infringing on of yours by carrying? For all of you wanting to ban guns I would ask that you research what happened in Australia when they DID ban guns. The results are not what you would expect. One thing I will say to my fellow concealed carrying buds...... CONCEALED means not visible! Nobody thinks you're cooler for carrying a gun, cops hate it (therefore are more liable to "bother" you), and it defeats the whole purpose of carrying concealed ( the threat is not supposed to know you have it!) Is it ok with all of you that off duty police officers often carry concealed? How about military members? Granted these people are trained professionals but so are most guns owners/carriers. Yes, some people have no business carrying a weapon, but some people have no business driving a car either. Which causes more deaths a year and which saves more? According to 2003 stats (I couldn’t find any more recent) we are 4x more likely to be killed in Auto collision vs. a gun assault. I could go on and on but I believe I've said enough.... for now.

• The Future of the "Gateway Arch" is On the Table—Will You be Part of the Discussion?   5 years 38 weeks ago

Our nation has a multitude of buildings, battlefields and other icons that qualify as being of historic import in one sense or other, but does that designation (being of high historical value) automatically assign them to the auspices of the NPS? To what criterion do we allow jurisdiction of denoting between say, the old lady in the harbor in New York and the granite faces in South Dakota, or the engineering feats that have become icons in St. Louis or San Francisco or Washington, or maybe all inclusive natural elements of the nation such as the string of volcanic islands in the Pacific, the ex-pristine landscapes of the Great White North and the massive wetlands in south Florida? I don't see delisting as being a slight to the prestige of the place, but more a prospective blow to the ego of those caretakers of said "monuments".

Cold War missile silos are of historical context. Ditto certain items of our Western heritage whose names are synonymous with our country world-wide, such as Tombstone, the OK Corral, Dodge City and some less savory addresses in our lore including 2122 N. Clark Street (site of the infamous St. Valentine's Day incident). All indeed historic beyond our shores, for better or mostly worse. But if the intent is to lure tourists to our "history", then they all merit inclusion in to the club. God forbid.

As I've posed the question in prior threads, and for a continuing example, do we establish a NPS unit for each and every "historic" event in our nation's timeline? If so, then the establishment of a memorial to the Great Alaskan Earthquake is long overdue, as is one to the New Madrid Quake, the Great Fires in Wisconsin and Chicago of 1871, the tragedy that was our nation's single greatest maritime disaster, the sinking of the Eastland in the Chicago River, one of the more popular legends of our time, the sinking of the Edmund Fitzgerald.........and what about the multitude of avionics incidents, mining tragedies, construction mishaps, etc. Then on the other hand, how about monuments to our expansionist history, our technological pioneering, for better and / or worse (e.g., the site of the first controlled atomic chain reaction coupled with the development of the cotton gin, for example), a place in the books for those manipulators of the economy such as the homies we all owe so much to (in more ways than one) like the Fords and the Rockefellers. How about NPS units dedicated to slavery, CERTAINLY near the tops of our nation's historical register. No, not the memorials to Freddy Douglass et.al. but to those without whom slavery would never have existed......the slave traders, plantation massers’ and politicians without whom the entire enterprise could not have existed. Remember, history contains both the notable and unsightly of a nation's achievements. You're doing a disservice to one to eliminate the other, as more often than not, one serves to better explain the other and how situations and circumstances were bred into and possibly removed from the conscience of a society.

It was indeed indicated in the story that this is pretty common, and that catching them is relatively rare. One would hope that the magistrate in Mammoth will "throw the book" at these guys as an example to others. As a general statement, I have found that the easier it is for someone to access the back country the less respect they have for it. That is that hikers tend to have the most respect, snowmobilers and ATVers the least. I know there are exceptions. As I said, this is a general statement.
    Whatever you think about the "snowmobiles in the park" issue, acts like this should be universally condemned. It is not hard to recognize that if you go east from West Yellowstone, you are entering the park.

• How An Earlier Administration Bolstered The National Parks Through A National Program   5 years 38 weeks ago

Tweed was my boss for a few summers, and I'm surprised to learn of his bias after all these years.

There's that misuse of the word "investment" again.

One does not have to pay interest on an investment. That is called a loan.

Again, "the debt service alone from the stimulus will cost about $347 billion over the next 10 years....That's $347 billion in interest."

It's the equivalent of a bankrupt person maxing out high-interest credit cards to build and install a backyard hot tub, which isn't really needed and is expensive to maintain.

We can no longer sustain our standard of living on debt financing.

Look at the interest on Obama's proposed stimulus package: $347 BILLION. That's enough to fund the National Park Service for about 175 years, or until the year 2184. It's enough to wipe out about 47 maintenance backlogs.

This is truly wasteful.

We must stop consuming on Chinese credit cards and start saving--and truly investing--for future consumption.

How does this rule infringe on the rights of those in the general public who don't carry? If a law abiding citizen (the people who are affected by this law) wish to carry a firearm to protect him or herself, then what is the problem? All I have heard from a majority of anti-gunners is how this law is going to promote the unlawful killing of wildlife and generally make our national parks more dangerous places to visit. Unfortunately there is no evidence to support such a claim. Personally, I hike in a lot of places where grizzly bears, kodiak, and other large predators live, and while over the years I have learned a lot about behavior patterns and aggressive attitudes, it's always a possibility that one may charge for real. Think about that for one second, and I'm sure you'll come to the conclusion that you'd rather have the opportunity to be able to defend yourself than not.

• Studies Show Bear Spray More Effective Than Guns Against Grizzlies   5 years 38 weeks ago

As I was scanning the posts I felt like I was in one of those pro/anti gun debates I often get in with my friends. First gun ownership and use is a personal choice for most and a legal right for law abiding citizens. The fact is that legal gun owners, especially ones with concealed license, are sane and safe. Bears would be the last thing on my mind while wandering in remote areas in a national forest, parks or on private land. The most dangerous and unpredictable beast is simply man. I have heard of people being killed in protected parks and forest even in low crime states like VA. These areas are targets for criminals looking for victims for the simple reason that they know you are by law unarmed and have little chance of being detected by witnesses. Look at the crime statistics in "shall issue" states and you will see violent crime decreases while areas with the most severe gun laws typically have rising crime rates. The answer to needing a gun to ward off a grizzly is simply don't count on it. One shot stops on big bears are rare and unlikely when under duress. Shot guns with slugs are best but you wont likely have time to get it into action if the bear charges from close up, and unnecessary when they are far away. Big handguns are heavy and hard to master and only a few have the power to quickly kill big bears, however, if I were to carry a weapon in bear country, I would probably carry at least a 44 mag with a short barrel. The safest method is to stay alert and make a lot of noise when hiking and never go alone. Most fatalities are when people are alone and quietly sneak up on the bear. You would probably have more risk of a limb falling out of a tree and hitting you than a bear anyway.

Anonymous, the difference between those other buildings and the Arch is the Arch symbolizes a truly historic event: the launch of the Lewis & Clark expedition.

The other buildings are just buildings. Yes, they're historic, but they by themselves don't really symbolize anything.

Part of the NPS mandate is to protect sites of historic interest, even man-made ones such as this.

========================================

My travels through the National Park System: americaincontext.com

• Senate, House Far Apart on Economic Stimulus Funding for National Parks   5 years 38 weeks ago

The debt service alone from the stimulus will cost about $347 billion over the next 10 years.

Yep. That's $347 billion in interest. Stimulating indeed.

Full article and link to Congressional Budget Office letter here.

Who's over the top on this one? Guess? Yep! You're right, the gun people. THERE IS NO REASON TO PACK A GUN, PISTOL, RIFLE OR AUTOMATIC WEAPON IN NATIONAL PARK!!!!! Just like concealed weapons are not allowed in a public building or store. Why they feel the need to "pack" in a park is beyond me. And the business of their rights being infringed on is TOTAL BUNK. What about the rights of the general public, who don't carry!

I have nothing against sending more money to the national parks. But the stimulus package is supposed to be to create jobs, presumably in all types of work, not just construction workers.

As usual the folks in Washington can't get anything right. Lets cut back on the parks that are used on a regular basis and are already hurting! I'm so disgusted with the dog and pony show that's going on there.

When I was out skiing with Buffalo Field Campaign, they pointed to an area outside the park where snowmobiles were illegal and signs clearly posted. There were snowmobile tracks everywhere, which made it scary to ski in the area. The worry of snowmobiles in areas where only skiing is allowed was a particular concern from people who ski there every day. I think this might be a common problem, especially on the west side of the park and would appreciate reports on what the truth is.

Hmmmmm.... I wonder if they were carrying firearms....

I am so glad that the Rangers caught these people riding their snowmobiles illegally. I hope that they get the book thrown at them and are invited not to visit this beautiful park again.

• The World's Top Ten National Parks   5 years 38 weeks ago

Rick -

Thanks for a great article - and some tempting suggestions for travel! I'll look forward to seeing other suggestions you receive.

My international park experience is rather limited, but here's one that might interest some readers.

The current political situation may make this park a bit less attractive to tourists these days, but Nairobi National Park in Kenya has a lot to offer for those who would like to see some classic African wildlife without spending a king's ransom on a major expedition into the bush.

This isn't a "wilderness park." Located on the outskirts of the capital city of Nairobi, this was the first national park established in Kenya. The location makes the park easy to visit, but proximity to the city may be a negative for some visitors. You can see the skyscrapers of Nairobi from parts of the park, and during my single visit to the area, I found it a bit surreal to be sitting in a vehicle watching a black rhino or a lion while a British Air jet passed overhead.

This is a small park - only about 28,000 acres, but wildlife migrate in and out of the area via the unfenced southern boundary. The park has a nice variety of wildlife, including black rhino, lion, cheetah, leopard, zebra, buffalo, giraffe and gazelle. We saw all of those and more in a single day. Over 400 species of birds have been recorded in the park, but that includes seasonal migrants. The annual wildebeest and zebra migration in July and August is an attraction for some visitors. One drawback - no elephants in this park.

The park is touted as a success story for protection of Kenya's rhino population, and is providing animals for reintroduction into other areas. The Kenya Wildlife Service website claims this is "one the few parks where a visitor can be certain of seeing a black rhino in its natural habitat."

An interesting sidelight on the topic of poaching and law enforcement in parks: During my visit I talked with one of their rangers, who was on duty at the park's single, short nature trail. (This is lion country – long hikes are not encouraged :-) He was dressed in combat camos, and in addition to his sidearm had an AR-16 slung over his shoulder.

I asked him about the poaching issue, and after finding out I was a ranger in the U.S., he warmed up a bit in his conversation. He commented that poaching used to be a problem, but they had largely solved it. How? This is my paraphrase after over a decade, but the jist of it was: "The park is closed at night, so after dark if we hear anybody out there in the bush, we just shoot. In the morning we go see if we hit anything." (Maybe my leg was being pulled a bit, but he seemed pretty serious – and from the reports of success with the black rhino, whatever they're doing seems to be working. I guess it pays to observe closing hours here!)

Some may regard this park as a Safari for Dummies (or city-slickers), but I found it to be a memorable wildlife viewing opportunity.

• New Solar Power System Puts This Park in the Forefront of Alternative Energy Use   5 years 38 weeks ago

Thanks to all of you who are interested enough in this topic to comment! (We also appreciate it when the discourse remains civil :-)

My article wasn't intended to be a commentary on the pros of cons of Xanterra - or any other company - but rather an example of what I feel is a positive step in using alternative energy. Perhaps this project will encourage similar efforts in both the private and public sector.

I'm glad to hear that Yellowstone NP authorities caught these snowmobile riders in the act, and that appropriate actions are being enforced. I spent last summer working in YNP while living in Cooke City, MT. The snowmobile riders that I encountered up there were some of the most disrespectful visitors to the backcountry up there.

Anonymous and/or editor:

Poor taste? Ok. I'll strike the last two sentences of my comment, and please tell me if there is any sarcasm in the rest of my comment; if you have any problems with the facts I presented, please let me know:

I'm glad Xanterra is using solar power, especially after diluting "mineral" baths with tap water at their Saratoga Springs resort.

I'm surprised to see the NPT crowd rally behind Xanterra and its new owner, Denver billionaire and supporter of conservative Christian causes, Philip Anschutz. With his net worth of $7.8 billion, he could single handedly wipe out the NPS maintenance backlog. He's also served on the board of directors of the National Petroleum Council, an American advisory committee representing oil and natural gas industry views to the Secretary of Energy. (Luckily, after external pressure, his corporation gave up plans to drill for oil near a major Native American rock art site.)

Be constructive? I did say I was glad Xanterra is using solar power, and I truly am glad. However, I do not think we should let a solar power plant blind us to the truth about its owner and his role in pressuring Congress to get what he wants.

• Yellowstone Geologist Worries About What Goes "Bump" At Night   5 years 38 weeks ago

Thanks for the clarification and the reply. I will say though, by way of criticism, that as a journalist specializing in the coverage of National Park issues you should know that is not nearly a generic term as you apparently believe; and it is quite a sensitive subject within the NPS. I am surprised you would use the title in such a fashion. Even in Yellowstone Mr. Heasler would not dare to refer to himself as such. If he is not a "Doctor" with a phD then he is no doubt perfectly comfortable in being referred to as "Mr. Heasler." We are not all "rangers" any more than we are all "physical scientists" or "lead maintenance mechanics."

Back to our regularly-scheduled article...

The Dangling Rope development in Glen Canyon National Recreation Area has been using a large solar system for power for a number of years. And it is publicly owned. While the solar field is not nearly as large as the new one at Death Valley, and the power needs not nearly as large, at the time it was installed it was considered quite ambitious. You can view it using Google Maps here.

Hank is a geophysicist by specialty with expertise in heat flow and geothermal systems.

I referred to him as "Ranger" as that's how the majority of NPS employees are generically referred to, much as you would refer to a cardiologist or an orthodontist as "Dr." than "Cardiologist Heasler."

I'm curious, what is Mr. Heasler's background? The article variously refers to him as a "Ranger" and a "geologist." Being referred to as a geologist confers the impression that he has at least a masters degree in the field, though that is not a universal use I suppose. Or is he "Dr." Heasler? Is he truly a ranger? Is he in the 0025 series? If he isn't, why would you refer to him as such? His public NPS phonebook listing lists him as a "supervisory geologist" whatever that is...

Thanks...