• National Park Designation is an Unholy Mess   5 years 39 weeks ago

I don't think that most visitors really care about the "official" governmental designation of a given NPS unit. I seriously doubt that someone visiting Cuyahoga Valley National Park would be concerned or even take note that it carries the same title as Yosemite and Glacier. They're there to enjoy a couple of hours of recreation on a Sunday afternoon in metropolitan Cleveland and don't really care what it's called. The same can be said for Hot Springs or even Petrified Forest (which was the first monument to be converted by a politician for purely economic purposes). I think people tooling down I-40 are still going to stop and check out the ancient logs regardless of its name either as a monument or a park. The care factor among the vast majority of the visiting public is zero.

As long as politicians are the ones responsible for creating parks and managing the funds you can expect this funny business in designations to continue. It is too easy for them to use their power to create economic plumbs for their districts and states by giving a place a more enticing sounding title so as to lure the masses to spend money on a visit to their newly minted national park.

As long as Washington, DC is in charge this situation will not be resolved and I'm betting that along with fat bonuses for AIG executives there will be a new national park in Bibb County, GA in the not too distant future.

• NPS Retirees Oppose Carrying Guns in National Parks   5 years 39 weeks ago

I think it is obvious that the Coalition of National Park Service Retirees is implying that they know better than the rest of us concerning the impact of concealed carry in National Parks when they joined the Brady Campaign to sue the government for allowing concealed weapons on federal parks. Indeed, the Coalition of National Park Service Retirees makes only vague references to environmental impact and human safety, but they haven't produced any studies. As a former law enforcement officer, I can attest with confidence that armed citizens are safer and more responsible than those who would deny them their right to bear arms, I could also suggest that the leadership of the Coalition of National Park Service Retirees review the statistics in the National Institute of Justice, Bureau of Justice Statistics if they have concerns about law abiding armed citizens on public property and around animals. Illegal users of firearms and criminal behavior against persons and property in National Parks is nothing new and should be the only issue here, that is why law abiding citizens should be able to readily defend themselves. Perhaps addressing the issue of crime should be a greater concern of the Coalition of National Park Service Retirees, than pushing a non-scientific political agenda.

• National Park Designation is an Unholy Mess   5 years 39 weeks ago

Editor's note: In light of the reference to the National Parks Pass and the Golden Eagle hologram sticker, this writer's experience at Mount St. Helens evidently took place some years ago.

Imagine my surprise, then, as a visitor to your country arriving at Mount Saint Helens National Volcanic Monument with my newly purchased National Parks Pass (the best $50 you could ever spend) only to be told, that, no that pass won't work here because this is managed by the Forest Service. But if you spend another $15 on a Golden Eagle hologram, you'll be OK.

Had me confused for a while. Couldn't work out why a place as important as Mount Saint Helens was not run by the National Park Service.

Still, despite all the naming issues and pork-barrel politics, the National Park system of the United States is a superb endowment to the world - it keeps me coming back year after year.

• Panoramic Photography, Or "How Do I Get All of the Teton Range in the Picture?"   5 years 39 weeks ago

One thing you can do to get a great print is to take the image on a CD to a place with a large format printer. A place like Kinkos usually has the large format printers needed to give you a quality print. They charge by the square foot... and it can be pricy. Costco or sam's club may have the ability as well.

Another option is to use a photo printing program. These programs layout the print in sections (pages) that you later cut up and tape together.

I just realized you are talking about the post.... In that case: Try to copy and past it into another program. On a PC try notepad, Word, or any other text program. On a mac use text edit, word, or any other text program. Then print it.

• Cape Hatteras National Seashore Identifies Pre-Nesting Closure Areas For Piping Plover   5 years 39 weeks ago

We want to extend an invitation to everyone interested in the Cape Hatteras National Seashore Recreational Area to visit the website for the campaign to Preserve Access to America's Beaches. www.PreserveBeachAccess.org is colorful and informative and features "My Story" videos of people sharing the importance of beach access and its impact on their lives, families and businesses. "Act Now" is your opportunity to add your name in support of open and accessible beaches. Thank you

• Should Ocmulgee National Monument Be Transformed into a National Park By Stimulus Funds?   5 years 39 weeks ago

Frank, I'm starting to feel like I'm herding cats. Thanks for your cooperation and understanding.

* The authors of posts take responsibility for their words.

I like this one. It absolves those at the Traveler from liability or need to act.

* Abusive comments and personal attacks will not be tolerated and will be deleted.

Another good policy on personal attacks, buy I have seen some ad hominem attacks slip through, particularly on the gun posts. I think "abusive comments" is a bit vague. Certainly, ideas and logic are up for attack, right? Even vociferously if needed I would hope. "Nice" is also vague. Someone who has their logic checked might feel offended. Anyway, I agree that the guidelines do help regulate discussion.

As for Anonymous' comments, the first two sentences seem to engage in the appeal to ridicule logical fallacy. The third sentence engages not only in the hasty generalization fallacy, but also uses argumentum ad populum--the appeal to the majority--"where a proposition is claimed to be true solely because many people believe it to be true."

So I think it's fair, but perhaps not nice, to say that Anonymous' argument is largely fallacious and hardly even worth all the ruckus.

Finally, attacking another person's thinking, reasoning, logic--or lack thereof--should not be construed as an ad hominem. Attacking someone's grammar? Of course that's up to those at the Traveler to make that call, but grammar and writing do shine a light on a person's intellect and, indirectly, their ability to form logical arguments.

Kurt, your absolutely right...civility with the pen! Beamis, perhaps my literary and written skills are not as brilliant as yours. However, I do cherish the fact that I can put in my two cents worth of garble on NPT. It's a privilege to participate even if doesn't meet your expertise or critique as a notable piece of information. Besides, continuous whining with the pen begins to sound more like never ending soap opera.

Kurt:

Thanks again, this information is very timely. (I have gotten lazy - long hand isn't that bad).

Mark, you're not alone. We're investigating how to make printable posts, but I'm told the coding ain't as simple as you might think, which means $$$ to pay a tech that we don't have. Yet.

• Interior Secretary Salazar Upholds Delisting of Gray Wolves in Part of Yellowstone Ecosystem   5 years 39 weeks ago

In reading the article it appears that Fish and Wildlife Service is making decisions without getting all the information. It appears on the outside that two things have happen. One the service didn't do it's homework at a level that is acceptable to make the proper decision and/or politics had a part in this mayhem. Anyway you look at it there is a problem with the decision making process.

I don't have enough information to make an educational comment on a solution, but I believe by doing research and presenting a documentary on the subject, that might bring light to the situation for everyone.

In any case it is in the best interest for the goverment not to make any decision unless they are prepared to prove the case without question. If the government proceeds we will be in the same positition in a few years again. It is very diffult to balance nature when mankind interfers....oh yea...we are part of the food chain too.

I need to know how to shoot a panoramic - and I thank you for posting this information. However, I cannot get my printer to print this dang thing off ....................

But, technology is not my long suit. Guess I'll just write it off in longhand!

OK, OK, before things get, ahem, too unruly here, let me remind one and all of this site's Code of Conduct, and point out some of the key points:

* The authors of posts take responsibility for their words.

* Those behind abusive comments and personal attacks will be contacted privately and asked to be more constructive in their comments. If the comments and attacks persist, the author will be blocked from the site.

* Don't say anything online that you wouldn't say in person.

* If a subject of a post feels they have been wronged or simply wishes to respond in a post as opposed to a comment, that will be allowed.

Furthermore....

In general, we at the Traveler are pretty tolerant of comments. We do not want to sanitize this forum, nor do we want to create the impression that it tilts one way or the other politically or philosophically. Yet there is a line, one that should not be crossed, in the common decency of civil discourse.

In other words, let's play nice.

I'm not sure what you said exactly but am certain that your use of "there" for "their" speaks volumes about a basic lack of grammatical awareness. Your naivety concerning the use of borrowed and printed (inflated) money would not surprise me too greatly either.

What's "constructive" about this federal spending frenzy, that our great-great grandchildren will be still paying for, is open to debate but your critique of my concerns needs to be couched in a more concise and focused manner. Your language skills convey that you are a novice in such matters and immediately call into question your overall understanding of macroeconomics.

Nuff said?

If I sound like an intellectual snob, well I suppose I am.

Long live Austrian economics!

• This Hike at Great Smoky Mountains National Park Took a Nasty Turn   5 years 39 weeks ago

Some excellent comments!

First, I agree with the kudos to the the rangers who conducted the successful night-time search in some very difficult terrain. I had the dubious opportunity to lead a fire crew on a small wildfire in some of that laurel hell country a few years back, and it was tough going!

Second, I'll give the hikers mixed reviews, since I don't have all the details. They get high marks for making sure someone "back home" knew their plans and was primed to sound the alarm promptly when they didn't return on time. As the previous comment noted, that's essential - and way too many people fail to leave that information, along with details on their planned route.

On the flip side, this in an excellent example of another common mistake. These guys kept on pushing on through that tough terrain when they should have just admitted they were lost, stopped, and called for (or waited for) help. That would have saved everyone involved a lot of time and effort.

Finally, this is a good reminder of the need to carry at least basic emergency gear even on a day hike. It doesn't sound as if they had enough stuff to stay warm and dry until help showed up.

The best news is this one had a successful outcome.

• Freeze On New Regs Could Impact Efforts to Expand Mountain Biking in National Parks   5 years 39 weeks ago

Open them up!!! Damage only occurs from mountain bikers that don't follow the rules of the trail... LIKE RIDING IN THE MUD!!!!! (hate those guys...)

Geez Beamis, stop whining! You sound like the whining party of "NO" to everything that President Obama's administration constructively wishes to do. Most prominent economic experts will agree that the stimulus package is a god send to many of the outer national parks towns and small cities. Such as adding more economic impetus to there lagging commercial markets that supply many of visitors with goods and supplies...and to the national parks. I assure you Beamis, in time you will see a more dynamic approach in re-tooling the national parks economies in a more transparent system in how they handle there expenditures with more accountability on resource management. That's something that the Bush & Cheney administration dare not do...and it's no guess why.

These were pretty smart hikers. If someone reported their overdue status within 1 1/2 hours they had obviously planned their trip pretty well. Too often missing hikers go unoticed for an entire day before somebody reports them overdue. Even then the description is "they were going somewhere up in the mountains" kinda a tough description in a park that has 900 miles of trails. GRSM does not require day hikers to register their trip so it is important to let someone know where you are going and when you expect to return. Don't belittle the tracking skills of some of the rangers, even with scattered snow coverage tracking through a laurel hell would be a challenge. BZ to those who ventured into the night to rescue these hikers the risk involved in doing this is greater than many will ever know

• The 10 Best of Everything Families: An Ultimate Guide for Travelers   5 years 39 weeks ago

In light of the recent government spending bills...peddling may be something families could enjoy in a National Park.

For those of you who are willing to play with some new software for panoramic, check out Hugin. It is a very capable piece of software, it is cross platform (works with Mac, Windows, and Linux), is based on panotools, is opensource, and is free.

Some open source programs lack good documentation, but there are some really helpful tutorials out for Hugin. The one drawback is that because it is still somewhat young (at version 0.7, but was started in 2003). However, I have found it to be very powerful and professional grade.

Amen to that anon. Moral of the story is no matter how "experienced" you are, don't be an idiot in the woods. Pay attention to where you are. I can understand getting lost in bad weather, but to simply walk off the trail and not know you are doing so reeks of, well, soggy polypro. As soon as you think you're a know it all out there, mother nature will throw you a curve ball to make sure you're paying attention. You can still enjoy the outdoors AND keep track of where you are at all times. What exactly is the definition of an experienced day hiker? Can you get certified for that? Perhaps tracking 101 could be the first required course.

Anon----I never made any such assertion.

All I'm saying is that the pork is about to flow like lava from Vesuvius. Figuring out where it will go based on the intentions of Washington politicians is a fools game at best. It would be wise to just take these pennies from heaven and be glad a few drops hit your favorite piece of turf. That's the stimulus game. They tell us that we're all going to emerge stronger and healthier when the trillions of spending is finally done. Let's not quibble about why it got spent on Ocmulgee instead of the Everglades. Instead just be grateful.

If you're expecting informed and precise decision making based on research and balanced judgment you're not facing up to the stark reality of who is in charge here. Any continued faith that remains for these wizards of pork to show the slightest consideration beyond the immediate goal of political gain shows an ignorance of the system that is frankly dangerous. Wise up and get ready to be "stimulated".

Good catch. Should have been pedal.

Having been in the writing biz for three-plus decades, I can tell you that mistakes like that creep in for the oddest reasons -- poor editing, tired writers, older brains that don't accurately convey to the fingers what word they want typed, and on and on.

I started to read Repanshek's own description of Acadia: "For instance, at Acadia you and your kids can peddle away an afternoon..."
    Did he mean pedal, as in riding a bike? Or did he use "peddle" to mean sell, or was it a creative way of saying you can spend a whole afternoon?
    Mistakes like that usually give me doubts that the book is well-edited or that the author even cares.

Where does Beamis get the idea that national "parks" get more money that other designations. There is no evidence of such. Just look at the budgets of Lake Mead NRA, Gateway NRA, and Blue Ridge Parkway. Title designation is unrelated to funding.