You are here

All Recent Comments

Packrafting Association Lobbies For Access To Yellowstone, Grand Teton National Parks

Dec 1st - 22:56pm | tturiano

No one wants to see our National Parks micro-managed by Congress. However, the situation in Yellowstone and Grand Teton is an extraordinary case that warrants legislative 'checks and balances' in my opinion. Traditional primitive use, such as paddling, on our public lands is not a popularity contest. It is a public right.

Dec 1st - 22:46pm | Jim Madison

The political science anxieties at play in the comments above are confusing. Legislation in a tripartite republic often has as its aim the provision of direction to the executive branch. Such is true for the Yellowstone - Grand Teton Paddling Act.

Dec 1st - 21:37pm | Dick Stout

I think its great that packrafters are using the legislative process to correct the failure of NPS to properly manage Yellowstone's rivers.  Paddling is allowed in all other national parks.  An outright ban on floating Yellowstone's rivers is ludicrous, and seeking a legislative solution is preferable in my eyes than rushing to litigation as so many other groups do.  Remember, th

Nov 27th - 15:21pm | ecbuck

while you've been accusing me of fibbing and telling me it doesn't happen. Really?  Please identify where I did that?  More baseless accusations.   Multi-topic legislation is an issue (as I have stated in the past) but Rep Lummis's bill is not multi-topic legislation.

Nov 27th - 14:28pm | Lee Dalton

Yes, Comrade, and that's exactly what I've been talking about all this time while you've been accusing me of fibbing and telling me it doesn't happen.  Wowabonga!  Y'just made my day!

Nov 27th - 14:19pm | ecbuck

"It's amendments made to existing laws years later by tacking an amendment or rider onto a completely unrelated bill that worry me." That is exactly what multi-topic legislation is.

Nov 27th - 09:32am | Lee Dalton

No, multi-topic legislation is only part of it.  It's amendments made to existing laws years later by tacking an amendment or rider onto a completely unrelated bill that worry me.

Nov 26th - 14:56pm | Anonymous

Lee your issue isn't with amendments its with multi-topic legislation.  Rep. Lummis's bill is not multi-topic legislation.   But then if you are a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Nov 26th - 09:58am | Lee Dalton

". . . .  legislation drafted by U.S. Rep. Cynthia Lummis, R-Wyoming. Her measure specifically directs the Park Service to allow packrafters access to at least 50 streams in the two parks.  . . . . . during last month's committee meeting she amended it"

Effort Under Way To Create Big Bend International Park

Dec 1st - 21:47pm | Anonymous

If Glacier NP can, Big Bend can...

Every Kid In A Park Program Off To Slow Start, But Building Steam

Dec 1st - 21:08pm | Dean Reeder

Ms. Washburn should have the means to calculate net costs. Maybe she was distracted or something. Point is, this program has real merit. It was modeled on the successful campaign that the National Ski Area Association has been conducting for several years.

Interior Secretary Attends Global Climate Change Conference, Uses National Parks To Illustrate Concerns

Dec 1st - 19:18pm | Lee Dalton

Maybe Walmart needs to start selling vasectomies.

Dec 1st - 13:40pm | Alfred Runte

Washington State's governor is there, as well, rationalizing that some things can only be accomplished by meeting people face to face. But yes, 10,000 delegates makes for a lot of airplanes spewing out CO2, although again, the airplanes would probably be in the air with or without them. And so the rationalization grows.

Dec 1st - 09:34am | ecbuck

Wish the money she spent preparing and flying there had been spent on the parks instead.

Missing Gorongosa

Dec 1st - 13:06pm | Mike P.

Very intersting and encouraging. I visited Masai Mara in Kenya in the early 80s and have read the reports of declining wildlife populations in Africa in general with sadness and alarm, so it;s nice to read simething positive!

Nov 26th - 17:39pm | Barbara Moritsch

Thank you, Lee!  Greg Carr's work at Gorongosa provides an incredible model for parks and protected areas across the globe--truly inspiring!

Nov 26th - 10:14am | Lee Dalton

Stunning.  Thank you, Barbara, for sharing this with us.  I'd never heard of Gorongosa.  The last part of the story especially struck me: ". . . Greg Carr's stated dream: "That we can achieve human development and biodiversity protection at the same time." It's a great dream unfolding, and the work in progress is a model applicable to national parks and wildlands worldwide.

Mount Rainier National Park Ready For Winter Operations

Dec 1st - 09:29am | tahoma

Mount Rainier's managers did not seem very ready for winter operations on November 27th.  This was a widely publicized free-admission day ('Green Friday') with warm temperatures and sunny skies.  Normally, the vehicle traction requirements are posted and no rangers are on duty at the Longmire winter gate.  Despite the 'Approved Traction Tires Advised' sign, each vehicle was asked to show they h

Traveler's View: Keep An Eye On Live Nation's Plans For Concerts In The Parks

Dec 1st - 09:02am | ecbuck

I agree that concerts would not be appropriate for places like Yellowstone or Yosemite but the National Mall has been holding concerts for decades.  Why does charging for them (to the benefit of the NPS) make it bad?  I believe NPT has been suportive of fee increases across the rest of the system why is a "fee" implementation in non-fee areas less acceptable.

NPS Director Jarvis States Agency's Opposition To Yellowstone-Grand Teton Paddling Bill

Nov 30th - 15:47pm | Lee Dalton

Smokies probably has one thing right when he wrote: "Just look at the new FLREA legislation pending.  Jarvis knows where his bread is buttered. . " The problem isn't so much with Jarvis as it with a multi-headed hydra called Congress.

Nov 30th - 14:14pm | SmokiesBackpacker

My moustache fear was learned in adulthood.  It tends to preceed manipulation of data and trumpted up fees to use public lands. (and it is, apparently, a prerequisite for indoctrination into the hierarchy of the NPS kool aid club)

Nov 30th - 13:42pm | Rick B.

I'm still trying to figure out the mustache-phobia. I've got a beard, and I've seen small children get scared of bearded men because when they were much younger some grumpy old man scared them, but your mustache fear is puzzling.

Nov 30th - 13:29pm | ecbuck

Sorry Smokies, that anon post was me (can't figure out why it keeps logging me out).  The "accusations" I was referring to was the one related to the Jarvis's which you admit you have no evidence of.  But with your closing line, I see you are comfortable in Lee's camp of making baseless accusations.

Nov 30th - 13:05pm | SmokiesBackpacker

I have plenty of evidence that concessionaires have been allowed to run the parks especially in the SMokies.  When Leconte lodge concession is given a perpetual contract to run the ONLY lodging in the park and no other company has even been allowed to bid, that is cronyism.

Nov 30th - 12:51pm | Anonymous

Smokies,  I have visited many a park and if they reflect a "concession driven NPS" then it is a good thing.  I have yet to visit a park where I thought the conessionaires were overly intrusive or materially detrimental to the park experience.  In fact, my experience (including several visits to the Smokies) has been just the opposite.

Nov 30th - 11:32am | SmokiesBackpacker

I have no evidence of that, EC.  But evidence of a policy change towards a concession driven NPS under Jarvis is abundant.  And it should be troubling to all public lands users.  Just look at the new FLREA legislation pending.  Jarvis knows where his bread is buttered and caters and is catered to accordingly.

Nov 30th - 11:12am | ecbuck

Smokies, if you have any evidence that Jarvis's decisions were influenced by his brother's lobbying efforts, let us see it.

Nov 30th - 11:04am | River Rising

There's so much talk about packrafters being banned, but that's not at all true.  a) Packrafters aren't "banned." They can paddle on almost 200 lakes in Yellowstone, dozens of miles of river in Grand Teton and hundreds of miles rivers and creeks outside of the national parks.

Nov 30th - 10:49am | SmokiesBackpacker

Destry Jarvis, Jon Jarvis brother, has lobbied on behalf of concessionaires.  So why should Jarvis neutrality ever be in question?  Jarvis is about to get his rear end exposed in a big way.  And his time has come. The moustache club is going to need more wax.

Nov 29th - 20:59pm | Michael McNichol

Whoa!  Here on the East Coast one of the greatest threats to the endangered Right Whales are from ship strikes.  I propose we stop all shipping into all ports along the eastern seaboard.  No reason to risk a ship strike.....  none at all.  They can fly in 200,000 containers a day.  Probably get two at a time on a 747!  Easy solution, next problem?

Nov 25th - 14:38pm | Lee Dalton

Yes, argalite, but those cats were let out of the bag a long time ago.  It's very difficult to reverse a problem.  Much better to avoid them in the first place.  Or better yet, find ways that achieve a well balanced approach to management.  It might be different if Yellowstone was the ONLY place in the world where an activity could take place.  But with literally thousa

Nov 25th - 11:08am | argalite

It is strange that Yellowstone allows things that disrupt wildlife in an unnatural way (snowmobiles, cars), but something like paddling is prohubited?

Nov 25th - 09:56am | Anonymous

Seems like there should be a few places left where their is no human encroachment. For me it would be sad to see someone paddeling in a canoe in Haden valley--JMHO

Nov 25th - 07:47am | ffarschman

Whatever else may be at the heart of this debate, from my experience, humans are not reliable. We have already done damage to so many other places. Boats do not get washed from stream to stream, therefore invasive creatures affect more and more waterways. I am a kayaker, however I don't feel that gives me the right to kayak every bit of water in the USA.

Traveler's Gear Box: DeLorme's inReach Explorer

Nov 30th - 13:54pm | Deacon

Purchased the Delorme inReach Explorer this past July for our son to take on his solo John Muir Trail hike and it worked great. I used it this past September in the Rocky Mountians when one of our group had a pregnant wife back home in Ky and he was able to text with her everyday.

Kenya’s National Parks: Among The Best Places In The World For Wildlife Observation

Nov 29th - 22:08pm | roseman2000

Thank you for the video link. Really loved the closeups of the wildlife including the many colorful birds. And the visit to the Masai village was enlightening. We did not go during the migration (early Feb) but there was still so much to see.

Nov 29th - 21:52pm | roseman2000

I'm posting some excepts from my son's animal picture book that we created before our visit to Kenya when he was 10. He updated each animal page describing what we saw that day. There was a herd of over 60 "red" elephants in Masai Mara who were traveling from afar. One of the mothers trumpeted at us.

Nov 29th - 20:58pm | Jean Bjerke

I love the observations posted above from the 10-year-old boy. He might enjoy the 7-minute video at this link with highlights of our visits to the three parks mentioned in the article: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cZJmbSWEs0

Nov 29th - 14:26pm | Jean Bjerke

Thank you for your comments! Yes we were amazed at all the animals we were fortunate to see, which exceeded our already high expectations many times over.

Nov 29th - 12:52pm | Baked Alaska

My wife and I recently returned from 6 weeks in South Africa, Botswana, Zambia, and Zimbabwe. We saw every animal mentioned except the cheeta. The density of animals was amazing and in some short hikes there was not a square foot of ground without a track. Outside the game preserves there was no large game, few small mammals, and much fewer birds.

Nov 29th - 12:17pm | roseman2000

I thoroughly enjoyed the wonderful article, photos, and visual storytelling of your journey through Kenya. Each of your destinations provide sufficient diverse animal and plant life to justify their visit. You were extremely fortunate to witness several uncommon events such as a massive migration crossing, lion and lioness mating, lions fighting or stalking and a kill.

Pipe Spring National Monument Offering Programs On History, Prehistory Of Arizona Strip

Nov 27th - 10:29am | Lee Dalton

Pipe Spring is a little diamond among the crown jewels of our parks.  Here's a link to an article from Southern Utah News about one of the people who keep that diamond shining: http://www.sunews.net/article.cfm?articleID=1862

Warm Waters Beckoning In The Virgin Islands

Nov 26th - 09:32am | Onislandtimes

Beautiful shot of one of our favorite St John beaches, Little Cinnamon.

Traces Of The Prehistoric Past: Fossilized Tracks At White Sands National Monument

Nov 25th - 19:34pm | Russell Shapiro

Great work!  Are the preliminary results available for review?

Exploring Cataract Canyon In Canyonlands National Park Via Raft

Nov 25th - 14:56pm | Mike Painter

Looks like fun!!

Touring The National Parks: What Does It Take To Get Into An RV Today?

Nov 24th - 21:49pm | Chris Hudsons

Great advice to take this seriously. Good insights.

Senate Legislation Would Provide $150 Million A Year To Address National Park Maintenance

Nov 24th - 21:20pm | rmackie

I think you have right Dave.

Nov 24th - 18:59pm | Dave Sheridan

Please refer to Section 203 of the Bill, it has all the details.  The hypelink is in my ordiginal comment and in the bosy of the article. SEC. 203. CLOSURE OF FEDERAL LAND TO HUNTING, FISHING, AND RECREATIONAL SHOOTING.

Trails I've Hiked: Lake Shore Loop in Great Smoky Mountains National Park

Nov 24th - 18:38pm | Ron and Bille Jo

We liked the tunnel bypass trail so far!

59 Illustrated National Parks: Celebrating 100 Years Of Wilderness And Wonder