You are here

All Recent Comments

Op-Ed | The True Meaning Of Soda Mountain: The White House Is Giving Away Our Public Lands

Aug 17th - 06:47am | beachdumb

More accurate satellite measurements of the lower troposphere show July as quite a bit cooler than both July 1998 and 2010. In fact, this is the coolest El Nino July in over 20 years.

Aug 16th - 22:09pm | Anonymous

Seems that those predictions are coming to pass even as NPT s resident troll makes baseless accusations based on stories in a few questionable publications.   He must be a fiddle player.

Aug 16th - 19:53pm | Anonymous

Realtors killing off scientists?  Sounds like the same thing is happens here, except in this case they are being drowned out by a realtor without any obvious skillset in science.

Aug 16th - 18:48pm | ecbuck

So tell us Siglin1 - why have the predictions been so wrong?  Whether July was the hotest month of any year since record keeping began (which is a miniscule fraction of the history of our planet)  is irrelevant.

Aug 16th - 17:52pm | Siglin1

"July 2016 was the warmest month ever recorded, the latest in a slew of new temperature records set in the past several years, according to two new reports.

Aug 16th - 15:46pm | Alfred Runte

Better said, everyone, the science is "incomplete." It's why we are still doing research. The question is: What will even that research show? My position is that it will never show a roadmap to sustainability, because the very thought goes against the physics. We all die, for one thing. Some scientists promise us a lifespan of 200 years, but we still seem to die at 70 or 80.

Aug 16th - 12:29pm | ecbuck

Aug 16th - 12:03pm | Rick B.

No. We turn our back on you, personally, and ignore whatever questions you pose.We have all tried. For years NO engagement with you has been productive. "Discussing" with you is like sticking your finger into one of those Chinese finger traps. A decision to not engage is not a confession.

Aug 16th - 11:44am | ecbuck

Argalite, why have the predictions been so wrong?

Aug 16th - 10:52am | Rick B.

Bottom line, argalite, no one is obligated to engage with those who live under bridges.

Aug 16th - 10:30am | argalite

Ecbuck is teasing me!  Statements without references are just bait.  The world is hotter, glaciers are melting, get a clue loser.

Aug 15th - 22:12pm | Anonymous

Since you seem to deny everything, perhaps you can add to the data of cancer research in radioactive exclusion zones by spending a few months living within Fukushima, or Chernobyl.

Aug 15th - 21:56pm | ecbuck

Still waiting argalite, and the Ricks and Lee and Ron and half dozen others,  if it is science.  if it is quatified data, if it is undenyable, why have the predictions been so wrong.    Crickets.

Aug 15th - 21:39pm | argalite

I agree, and we already are.  Every living system is in decline.  insects, birds, fish are all in steep declines as well.  Lots of cats and dogs though.

Aug 15th - 18:55pm | Alfred Runte

Interesting quote, Ron. Thanks for sharing it. And the article from EC. In what now seems like "ancient times" (1971-1978), I was on the faculty of Environmental Studies at the University of California, Santa Barbara, first as a teaching assistant and then a lecturer. I got to meet (and work with) so many exciting people. It was like going to college all over again.

Aug 15th - 18:07pm | rmackie

Lee, difficult issues, but I agree with Dr. Runte on the issue of Soda Mountain. On politics and the art of the possible, just finished reading an interesting book, "The Politicians and The Egalitarians" by Sean Wilentz. The preface to the book starts with a quote from Reinhold Niebubr, I thought it was good. Mr.

Aug 15th - 16:39pm | Lee Dalton

You and I certainly agree on at least one thing, Alfred.  We Americans (humans, for that matter) are terribly awful when it comes to planning and working toward the future.  Future?  Nah, the only thing important is RIGHT NOW ---- and how much money can I make out of this?

Aug 15th - 15:43pm | ecbuck

And its not only our federal lands that are being put at risk.  Its our security as well.

Aug 15th - 13:01pm | Alfred Runte

Lee, it's called technology assessment. I am not opposed to technology assessment, but yes, I am opposed to losing our public lands over any assessment suggesting that two wrongs make a right.

Aug 15th - 11:03am | ecbuck

I'll bet that future generations will look back on those who now oppose these efforts and ask, Noone opposes "these efforts".  What they oppose is the government picking winners and losers and taking our money to do so.

Aug 15th - 10:59am | Lee Dalton

Go back in history and you'll find countless examples of people who fought hard against progress in their times.  There were those who feared development of steam engines, electricity, elevators, and many other of the things we now take for granted -- and helped improve the quality of life for all of us.  But just as was the case when reciprocating engines driving propellers on passen

Aug 15th - 08:47am | wild places

I recall my first trip to Lawrence Livermore Labs outside San Francisco some 20 plus years ago and my discovery of the Altamont wind farm. There were 1,000's of Inoperative and rusting wind turbines as far as the eye could see. Yes, occasionally there was one actually rotating (and I assume generating a small amount of electricity). They scarred what was an otherwise beautiful landscape.

Aug 15th - 08:46am | ecbuck

Anon - It appears you have drunk the AGW kool aid.  Perhpas you can answer the question that the rest of the cult have run from.  If AGW is proven, if it is science, if it is undeniable, if it is "quantified data" why have all the predictions been so wrong.

Aug 14th - 20:53pm | Anonymous

I'm left to draw the conclusion, that you have no solutions, other than we shouldn't use public lands, or any land for energy development.  That's basically the extent of all this back and forth.

Aug 14th - 15:46pm | Alfred Runte

Talk about getting carried away. . . Quote: "The only use of fossil fuels is in the development [of these plants]." No. At Ivanpah, natural gas backs up the entire operation, generally for four hours every day. Every wind farm here in the Northwest is also backed by natural gas or hydroelectric. The grid is getting slammed trying to accommodate all of the fluctuations.

Changing Climate Conditions Will Affect Winter Use In Yellowstone National Park

Aug 16th - 20:00pm | Alfred Runte

Before you know it, someone will be suggesting that Yellowstone make artificial snow. Indeed, why do I smell that rat in this report? Could it be in the term "bad snow year?" The proper adjective, after all, is poor. In other words, deficient in terms of what WE want. How is what nature wants (or does) ever "bad?" It can't be, since nature has no conscience.

Aug 16th - 17:45pm | Sandiawho

they should also extend the open season dates earlier in Spring & latter into fall

Aug 15th - 21:35pm | argalite

Weather and Climate are two different things

Aug 15th - 20:14pm | J. Ewing

Let me know when you are able to accurately predict the weather for next week, and then we can talk about the weather ten years from now.  I certainly wouldn't be making any business decisions based on the weather forecast for next year.  There will be time to adapt IF and WHEN these scenarios come to pass.

Bears And Dogs Don't Mix At Shenandoah National Park

Aug 16th - 15:01pm | Paulette

Most, if not all, Western national parks prohibit dogs from trails; the Eastern parks should do the same. I love dogs, but I know that if I encounter one on a trail in Shenandoah, along the Blue Ridge Parkway, or in Smoky Mountains National Park, my chances of encountering wildlife crash to near zero. Leave Fifi or Fido home!

Aug 16th - 13:20pm | Anonymous

On 6/7/16, we were hiking up from South River Falls when 3 hikers, also going up, reversed when they saw 3 cubs ahead. They gave us a heads up and all of us advanced very cautiously until a cub was spotted. We made as much noise as we could including a very loud whistle to no avail. The cubs just looked at us as strange martians.

With Record Crowds At Iconic National Parks, Some Calling For Entry Quotas

Aug 16th - 13:51pm | Jonathan

the National Park Service spent $100mm this year on the 100th anniversary and the "Find Your Park" media campaign. I'm not saying promotion of the parks is a bad idea, specifically when targeting segments of the population where use or understand of parks resources are not understood.

Aug 16th - 13:05pm | Kimi

Please don't lump all Asian women as being disrespectful as these 50 women were.  I am Asian and have traveled to many national parks and am very respectful of the parks and others.  Everyone should be respectful of our wonderful parks no matter their ethnicity.  Being a visitor from another country does not give the permission to do dumb things or be disrespectful of the parks a

Aug 16th - 07:59am | Christy Crosson

CROWD CONTROL or we're not going to have anything to visit. Period. Wait and plan, people! it's the wave of the future... your insatiable need for instantaneous pleasure will be best served from behind your remote!! Save our natural Parks and Wildlife. As Smokey The Bear would say, "Only You Can.."

Aug 15th - 17:11pm | Anonymous

I love the National Parks and preservation is a must.  Just got back from Yellowstone, Tetons and Glacier and what stuck out to me was the large numbers of foreign visitors.  These are America's national parks. Begore limiting us they should limit foreign visitors. I stood in one restroom line with about 50 Asian women. And inside the park they had no respect for the rules.

Aug 15th - 17:03pm | Pepitica

What you are suggesting would be great for the able bodied, but I am so grateful that the NPS has committed to making the parks more accessible to my handicapped children.  I love hiking and go backpacking or primitive camping whenever I can get away, but traveling my my wheelchair bound son, we need a hotel, running hot water, and paved trails where he too can enjoy the beauty of nature.

Aug 15th - 15:56pm | Bill

We visited 7 parks over 2 weeks this year.  Some were quite crowded (Zion) and other quiet and empty (Great Basin).  We enjoyed Great Basin probably the most due to the low crowds and friendly accessable staff.  One thing that we did find however, even at Great Basin, is that some rangers were quite in experienced.

Aug 15th - 14:43pm | Toni

I agree mostly with your last two sentences.  My husband and I have enjoyed Yosemite for a lifetime, particularly playing cards at all the little tables in the lobby of the Ahwanee Lodge.  On our last visits we were shocked to find all the card tables gone and every last place to sit was filled with teens & twenty-somethings all on their phones & I-pads!

Aug 15th - 11:23am | David McNeel

The answer is simple at Rainier...once the number of cars entering the park equals available parking spaces all further entry is ONLY allowed in shuttle busses.

Aug 15th - 11:08am | ecbuck

I was in Yosemite last week.  No traffic jams, easily found parking in the valley and saw empty campgrounds.  Even the cables weren't that crowded.

Aug 15th - 10:47am | Lee Dalton

There simply are no GOOD answers.  I'm glad I won't have to face this much longer, but my grandkids will.  Good luck, children.

Aug 15th - 10:46am | George Sanders

Fortunately for me the park I visited was not that crowded, but then it wasn't Yosemite, Yellowstone, the Grand Canyon, or the Great Smoky Mountains. Two of the four ranger-led hikes had only seven hikers including the ranger. I think the largest group was only 14. If you pick your park and the time of visit carefully, you can still have a great wilderness experience without the crowds.

Aug 15th - 08:46am | dahkota

The above would be all well and good, except for the fact that if people can't stay in the park, they would crowd the towns immediately around them, making more people drive to get into the parks. Which would make congestion getting into a park worse.

Aug 15th - 08:00am | wild places

Seems a little late but at least they finally recognize it. Instead of quotas (which may needed short term). How about reverting the parks to what they once were. Places to get close to nature. We don't need elaborate nature centers. overpriced hotels, gourmet restaurants and 40 foot motorhomes. Make more of the campground / sites tent only. Stop paving "hiking" trails and adding roads.

Road Construction Will Close Arches National Park's Campground For Most Of 2017

Aug 16th - 12:16pm | Shannon Rodgers

Thank you for keeping us informed! It will be hard to get around, but know that updating road and hiking trails is necessary and temporary closures have to happen!

PEER Says National Park Service Whitewashed Problems At Effigy Mounds National Monument

Aug 15th - 15:15pm | Ethical Retired...

I once worked at a NPS unit in which hundreds of thousands of dollars from its maintenance budget went into "Restoration" (Construction) of a questionabe historical site within the Park.  Several members of the Interpretive staff were of the opinion that the "History" of this site was largely fake.

Aug 15th - 11:30am | Anonymous

This at a park whose annual operating budget is probably less than one million.

Aug 14th - 14:49pm | SmokiesBackpacker

Well, Tahoma, you have definitely given me some insight as to how these backlogs get developed.  Wow.  That makes perfect sense.

Fire Destroys Historic Monroe Station Within Big Cypress National Preserve

Aug 15th - 07:19am | L. Humphrey

Has there been any charges brought against the individuals responsible yet?  We read about the fire and how it happened and it just to seem "fall" off the radar. Thanks

Yellowstone's Canyon Re-Do Nearly Done

Aug 14th - 23:54pm | mtgnppics

HOW can the usual "middle class" folks afford this kind of housing??  I sure can't.  Maybe if you take 3 other paying friends with you.   A few yeaars ago I stayed in one of those cabins. It was "rustic", but clean and adequate. This is totally SAD.

National Parks Traveler's Essential Park Guide