You are here

All Recent Comments

Poll Says Westerners Want Public Lands Protected, But Will It Matter?

Feb 3rd - 16:02pm | Rick B.

Not only realize it, Lee, but have the brass and the wherewithal to do something about it.

Feb 3rd - 12:05pm | rmackie

Traveler, thank you for an informative and interesting post.

Feb 3rd - 12:03pm | Lee Dalton

Yawn.  We all know the only thing that really counts in Washington now are those TV ratings. Truth?  Why bother? A few alternative facts do a great job of driving them up. I wonder how long it will be before some people begin to ask, "My God, what have we done?"  I also wonder if they will find the honesty needed to admit they made a YUGE mistake?

Feb 3rd - 11:22am | Glad2bretired

Beachguy:  Neither the left nor the right "own" fake news exclusively.   In my view, fake news is something knowingly false which is intended to deliberately mislead people.  I don't think your 6 examples are representative of this.

Feb 3rd - 11:12am | Glad2bretired

Re:  Fake news.  I know this is off topic, but I can't resist.  Presidential Counselor Kellyanne Conway got caught telling a whopper yesterday, about the domestic terrorist Bowling Green "Massacre" (her words) which never occurred.  Instead, 2 Iraqi Nationals caught conspiring to smuggle weapons back to Iraq were convicted and imprisoned.

Feb 3rd - 10:31am | beachdumb

These are some widely reported fake news over the past 8 years I can think off the top my head.

Feb 3rd - 08:52am | justinh

Chaffetz withdrew his bill, apparently as a result of public opposition to it. http://www.commondreams.org/newswire/2017/02/02/chaffetz-backs-bill-sell...

Feb 3rd - 08:32am | ecbuck

Trump trying to point out "fake news', isn't trying to fan it it is trying to undermine its credibility. The other half of the stories you posted are fake news in themselves.

Feb 3rd - 08:17am | Kurt Repanshek

Feb 3rd - 05:48am | beachdumb

The rise of "fake news," fanned by the Trump administration and embraced by many of its followers,  Thats rich. Totally expected from NPT.  From my view most of the "fake news" is generated and embraced by left. A current example is the "alt" NPS twitter feeds, mostly fake news embraced by koolaide guzzling left.

Feb 2nd - 23:55pm | trailadvocate

Hmmm, decisions, decisions.  Where is my bread buttered....

Feb 2nd - 21:45pm | ecbuck

The rise of "fake news," fanned by the Trump administration and embraced by many of its followers,  That is below you Kurt. While some on the right might generate "fake news" it is certainly no more than those on the left and the Trump admin is fanning neither.

Nearly $100,000 Grant To Fund Research, Restoration At Sequoia And Kings Canyon National Parks

Feb 2nd - 19:14pm | [email protected]

Tis Curious that the Iconic SEQUOIADENDRONS are absent from the funded Research; Like we wonder how many ancient trees have fallen due to failed Prescribed Fire Implementation allowing fire to re-enter old burn scars; thus, burning their last remaining critical support/wooden strength ?

Hiring Freeze Exemptions Help National Park Service In Short Term, But Long-Term Concerns Persist

Feb 2nd - 14:41pm | wild places

"I really hope our minority vote getting president does nothing to endanger "America's Best Idea" You mean like the previous administration?

Feb 1st - 18:06pm | Cary Brozik

National Parks: Going To The Dogs!

Feb 2nd - 13:46pm | LRuff

I can understand some places being inappropriate or off limits but I think the reasons given in the article are quite ridiculous.

Traveler's View: A $15 Billion Wall Vs. A $12 Billion Backlog

Feb 2nd - 10:23am | Kurt Repanshek

Ok, we're going to let Constitutional law be tackled by other sites, so we're shutting this thread down and hope you'll seek out park stories to discuss.

Feb 2nd - 10:03am | ecbuck

Total BS - The temporary hiatas isn't against any race or religion.  There are 40 muslim countries non covered and this has no effect on US Citiizens regardless of race or religion.  The is a common sense act aimed at insuring our vetting system is adequate.

Feb 2nd - 02:33am | Rick B.

Eric and others -   Start by working your way through this: http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/jurisprudence/2017/01/he...

Feb 1st - 22:36pm | ecbuck

Exactly what part of the Constitution did Turmp violate?

Feb 1st - 22:10pm | Rick B.

Eric - insulting my respect for the Constitution, which I went to war to defend, is beyond the pale.   Just go away.

Feb 1st - 21:09pm | ecbuck

Just like now, with your guy trump breaking laws and the consitution left and right Oh please, all of a sudden you have respect for the Constitution?  Exactly what part of the Constitution did Trump violate?

Feb 1st - 20:53pm | Rick B.

Going to grad school and paying for it, and then being an educated member oif society.

Feb 1st - 20:16pm | beachdumb

Illegals going to grad school? Those rednecks, executives and everyone else had to pay back society. The illegals disappear into the shadows. i voted for rule of law, you better get used to it.

Feb 1st - 19:28pm | Rick B.

Dumb - the same damn thing happens all the time from drunken rednecks, drunken business executives, drunken televangelists, and everything else. What you mention is a tragedy, one of a million similar tragedies. There are many moire immigrants paying taxes, going to grad school, raising kids and doing the dirty jobs you don't want to do yourself.

Feb 1st - 19:15pm | ecbuck

It always amuses me when someone from NC comments on border security. Well since NC is in the top quartile of illegal immigrants as a percent of the population, I think he has good standing to comment.

Feb 1st - 18:48pm | ecbuck

I don't know and neither do you. Exact numbers no, but one measures in the millions (http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/11/03/5-facts-about-illegal-im...)  and the other probably not even in the thousands.

Feb 1st - 18:40pm | beachdumb

it's not that big a deal Ive seen up close what a drunken illegal did to young woman a couple years ago. He took off from an accident to let her die and never seen again. I've talked with parents of heroine overdoses. It is a big deal. What we have been doing is not working.

Feb 1st - 18:36pm | Rick B.

I don't know and neither do you. I don't know about either border on your questions and neither do you.

Feb 1st - 18:18pm | ecbuck

Rick, how many of the pale bilingual French/English visitors are coming in illegally and taking American jobs and handouts?  The wall (which I oppose) has nothing to do with the "hue of the person".

Feb 1st - 16:24pm | Rick B.

I live close to the border as well - the Canadian border. No one ever complains about bilingual French/English visitors, but most of them are rather pale. It is such a shock that the hue of the person is unspoken in these border security fetishists. "I'm not racist! It is just that [and blather ensues]".

Feb 1st - 15:35pm | Rick Smith

It always amuses me when someone from NC comments on border security.  Are you afraid SC is going to invade?  For those of us who live close to the border (45 miles for me), it's not that big a deal.  Almost the entire Texas Congressional delegation, raging librtals as they are, oppose building the wall.  It will be an economic and environmental disaster.

Feb 1st - 13:21pm | Rick B.

There is an old truism about "If you count a dog's tail as a leg, the dog still only has four legs - saying it don't make it so." The same truism applies to your self-flattering statement of " Any rational and logical thinking person would see the benefits of a wall on the border." You really didn't read a word I typed, did you?

Feb 1st - 10:09am | beachdumb

Obama increased the height of the wall around the Whitehouse for improving security. Obama had a wall constructed around his new home in DC to improve security. Israel constructed a wall that greatly improved security.

Jan 31st - 22:56pm | Rick B.

Dumb - I served a 14 month tour in Korea, in the DMZ. A 4km wide zone stretching from sea to sea across the peninsula. When I was there is was about 20 years after the armistice, and both the north and the south had ample time to build walls and defences. Out in the DMZ there were free fire zones, where we shot at anything that moved, which if nothing else reduced the deer population.

Jan 31st - 18:54pm | beachdumb

Border security is more important than NPS backlog of mismanagement at the moment. Mexican illegals are damaging lots of West coast parks with thier marijuana farms and killing our young people with thier smuggled heroin.  The wall is a much higher priority.

Jan 31st - 17:09pm | Ridgerunner

The 12-15 billion dollars for a wall is just an estimate. It could cost three times as much and even more when anti-tunnel measures are added. Then you have that northern border with Canada. Building a wall across Glacier NP or the Boundary Waters Canoe Area in Minnesota will be an interesting exercise for planners and engineers. Fortunately we have plans from the former DDR or East Germany.

UPDATED: "Unofficial" National Park Service Twitter Accounts Challenge Trump Administration

Feb 1st - 22:31pm | Rusty Shackleford

Meanwhile, the communications office at the NPS headquarters scrambles to create an action plan. I believe this is the same office that got rid of a few contracts to promote citizen journalism and have park employees run their web/social media. I wish somebody would take ownership for once and level the playing field.

Feb 1st - 19:00pm | Kellie Etherson

I have never been more proud of the National Park Service!  Thank you for all that you do and keep up the good work!

Jan 31st - 15:35pm | Jackie Addison

Keep it up!!  Hurrah for altUSNPS!  And as for Washington overlords, I have a single finger more powerful than the lot of you.  I use it to vote with.

Good Books For Visiting...Yellowstone National Park

Feb 1st - 19:29pm | Megaera

Janet Chapple's Yellowstone Treasures is the best Yellowstone guide I've run across in almost 20 years of visiting the park and being something of a guidebook connoisseur.

Feb 1st - 12:24pm | hiker303

Another to add to your list is the "ROADSIDE GEOOLGY OF YELLOWSTONE COUNTRY", https://shop.yellowstone.org/books-maps/books/roadside-geoolgy-of-yellow....  This book is great to help understand what you are seeing in the unusual geology.

NPCA: House Measure Would Weaken Rules For Energy Drilling Inside National Parks

Feb 1st - 18:17pm | justinh

Disasterous.

Feb 1st - 13:06pm | Vicki Steiner

National  Parks are for the present and future public and the wildlife. Not to be ruined by greed

2017 State Of The National Parks

Feb 1st - 09:24am | PracticingForRe...

Should not get hung up on the word "unimpaired" - keep it in context. That context varies from site to site.

National Park Service Gets Clearance To Hire Seasonal Workers

Feb 1st - 08:36am | Danielle Graham

l am glad for this.  I am so sorry for all the people's lives that are in limbo.  The hiring feeeze on full-time federal employees will make the best and brightest applicants look away from the NPS as a potential employer.

Jan 31st - 23:49pm | Rick B.

Unless you are one of the ones affected by this herky jerky mismanagement by the White House, but effects on those other than you aren't your big concern.

Jan 31st - 23:32pm | ecbuck

Good for the parks, but oh, ironically this will disappoint those trying to create a boogie man.  As I said, much ado about nothing.

New Hiking Trails Proposed At Crater Lake National Park

Jan 31st - 18:02pm | RD Payne

One of the proposals outlined in the Scoping Newsletter is to convert the Grayback Drive to a hiking/mountain bike trail.  While I've used this road on several occasions, I don't know how much use it gets and repurposing it as a trail may have its advantages, including minimizing impacts by removing vehicles from this section of the park.

Everglades Coalition Urges Florida Legislature To Buy 65,000 Acres To Help River Of Grass

Jan 31st - 15:21pm | MIKE C

This is a justified way to stop this horrible pollution of all our estuaries

National Parks Traveler's Essential Park Guide