• Second Black Bear Euthanized In Yellowstone National Park   6 years 3 days ago

Hello the bears were here first!!! if there is a problem with bears getting a taste for human food then the number of hikers per day should be cut down, and a limited amount,and type of food regulated per person.I do not see the sense in shooting a bear for the reason of finding food ,this is their territory.If anything else small game for them to eat should be bred and distributed in the part so it can breed and feed the bears.Whatever bear eat,im sure they like their kind of food better first off.

• Delaware Can Relax; The New National Parks Quarter Dollar Coin Series Will Celebrate “National Sites” Too   6 years 3 days ago

An attractive feature of these special coin series is the large seigniorage (or profit) representing the difference between the face value of the coins and the costs of their mintage.Substantial gains result from public hoarding/collecting of coins placed in circulation as well as the sale of uncirculated proof and silver coins to collectors.

The U.S. Mint estimates that the 50 States Quarters® Program will end up garnering about $3.7 billion more for the U.S Treasury than regular quarters would have.

If the proposed "parks and sites" series is authorized, it is expected to produce a profit in excess of $750 million over ten years. Whatever the profit may be, it will accrue to the U.S. Treasury (general treasury), not to the national parks.

• Electric Map Going Away at Gettysburg National Military Park   6 years 3 days ago

I am incredibly disappointed with the Park Service decision to discontinue the electric map presenation. In my opinion, although the program was "low tech" by today's standards. it gave the viewers a feel for the North-South-East-West of the battle field for a preliminary orientation before the actual driving (or walking tour). Add in the nostalgia factor and it was the perfect place to take visitors and students not only for the history of the battle but also for the history of the map itself.... Is there a way to petition the Park service to bring back this piece of history? I will not be taking any more visitors and friends and students to Gettysburg unless the map is reinstalled. Mourning the demise of another piece of history in its own right....The removal of the map speaks volumes about the inept management and lack of vision on the part of the Park Service. Please....
    Get rid of the food court and the gift shop and make room for the map!!!!! It will be worth the effort!
    AlaskaAbi

I am sure the Mint made a fortune on the state series. I hope revenues from the national parks series goes to the upkeep of the parks system.

• Interior Officials Want to Allow Concealed Carry in the National Parks   6 years 3 days ago

No. You spray your buddy by mistake in a panic attack and are lunch for the bear.

• Is the National Park Service Obligated to Better Promote Proposed Change in Gun Regulations?   6 years 3 days ago

Kurt, excellent rebuttal and it helps reading between the lines better on thee issue.

Frank,

Is not just about everything we do in life based on some form of probability and statistics? We grade our kids on how well they studied, make a split-second decision on the probability of running through the yellow light before it turns red, have doctors give us the odds of dying from disease, decide whether to fly or drive depending on whether we believe there's a probability that the plane will crash, and every four years let statistics determine who will reside in the White House.

We want to know the probability of rain today so we can dress accordingly, the odds of whether our offspring will be male or female, or the odds of winning the Lotto so we can gamble on being able to quit our job. If the odds of being murdered or accosted in a national park were incredibly high, the arguments of those who want to arm themselves would not only be more reasonable but, probably, more palatable.

Heck, statistics even went into the Bill of Rights and the recent Supreme Court 5-4 decision on guns in Washington, D.C. What's the probability of that one swing vote going for the D.C. law and allowing local governments to ban weapons?

Beyond that, though, you point out a very good aspect of the Bill of Rights: The 2nd amendment was intended to counter tyranny, not to make each and every American a judge and jury in the blink of an eye. So if you want to couch the 2nd Amendment on that point, and if you accept the recent Supreme Court decision that Americans are allowed to arm themselves in their homes and that reasonable laws pertaining to access to weapons are permissible, then what are the odds that someone will claim the 2nd Amendment still allows them to pack anywhere at any time?

Would that be the faulty reasoning you refer to?

"At the end of the day, you're more likely to die in a car accident, from cancer, from poor health and exercise habits, illegal drug use, and illicit sex than from roaming a park unarmed.

Let's try to keep some perspective here."
    I'll give you car accident and cancer, but do you really believe the rest of that sentence? I am someone who hikes our National Parks. I've met others on trails and in campgrounds. I've never met anyone who spends time in the parks alone or in small (2-4 persons) groups who I believe is more likely to die from those things. I have, however met men in the parks who have quite frankly scared the hell out of me. I have pulled the big knife out of the mess kit while praying to God that that crazy s.o.b. that had just entered my campsite drunk and demanding that I remove my shirt didn't have a gun. I want to continue to enjoy MY National Parks. I don't want to be killed or raped. Bad people do not care about laws. They don't need permits to carry guns. Please try to understand that those of us who want to use our 2nd ammendment right to carry firearms aren't bad people.

• Delaware Can Relax; The New National Parks Quarter Dollar Coin Series Will Celebrate “National Sites” Too   6 years 4 days ago

Sounds great, but... it's too bad they're limited to just 2 per state. The law should have a provision allowing for every national park to be represented on a quarter.

Delaware has several areas that could make great national parks, and I've always been surprised that they have never really fought for it. My family and I often go to Delaware, not just for the tax free shopping, but for the bird watching! Cape Henlopen State Park would be my number one recommendation for upgrading to National Park status, it is just gorgeous and full of great wildlife watching. Fort Delaware State Park would be my second recommendation, very cool place indeed steeped with history.

• Hidden Hall of Records at Mount Rushmore   6 years 4 days ago

We've heard that behind Mt. Rushmore, is something hidden by our government, having to do with aliens or alien craft. Is there any truth to this, or has anyone else heard anything of this?

• Hidden Hall of Records at Mount Rushmore   6 years 4 days ago

We've heard that the carvings were put there to hide something alien or otherworldly or something that our government is hiding regarding aliens or alien spacecraft. Can anyone else elaborate on this?

• Second Black Bear Euthanized In Yellowstone National Park   6 years 4 days ago

First of all, if you want to impress the public with your comment, then use some punctuation, check your grammar, capitalization and spelling!!!

Had you read the article with any comprehension you would have seen that the hikers are required to watch a 15 minute video on proper food safety in bear county. Hang it 10 feet high and 4 feet out. I imagine these hikers just took their packs off, laid them down and wandered away for a bit, thinking it would never happen to them. YES, that was dumb, but so is the attitude of rehabilitating a bear (are you kidding?), especially when the bear population is expanding into populated areas.

(This comment was edited to remove unnecessary personal attacks.)

• Is the National Park Service Obligated to Better Promote Proposed Change in Gun Regulations?   6 years 4 days ago

One of the best comments yet on this issue. Not your usual NRA spiel or gung-ho and gun-ho comments like Freddie pistol hugging pete.

We just got back from Glacier and the information regarding bears is in the information handed out - but many people don't seem to read it. While we were there, a back country campsite was closed due to a bear shredding a tent. We never heard if there was food or something in the tent but it seems likely that there was something in there that shouldn't have been. We ran into several people who were backpacking and had to revise their plans due to this campsite being closed. If people don't follow proper procedure, they ruin experiences for others. We have been trying to hike the Iceberg Lake trail and the Cracker Lake trail for several years but the trails are always closed due to bear activity when we are in the park. We were finally successful this year - both trails were still open. We were on the Iceberg Lake trail when we were approaching a bend in the trail where we couldn't see the rest of the trail. We made sure to make loud noises only to be hushed by a couple on the other side who were bird watching!! They told us we were scaring away the birds!! No wonder the trails get closed. They were quietly going up the trail as they figured there were plenty of people on the trail that they didn't need to make noise. Another couple we talked to said that they had seen a lady and her group chasing after a bear for a photo because they had bear spray if they needed it. We have hiked 100 miles each summer the last few years and never saw a bear - and also ran into many people who don't make noise at the appropriate times on the trail and others that seem to lack good judgement. (I am sure you could hear endless stories!!) Last year we were in the Canadian Rockies and a man was hiking by himself and not making noise and he came across a mama and cubs and he was charged by the bear. More could be done to educate the casual hikers and visitors to these parks. You can hand them the information but can't make them read it, and not everyone seems to have common sense!

Let's try to keep some perspective here."

The perspective we should keep is that of the Bill of Rights and the Constitution. The Second Amendment, as with all the amendments, does not allow for probability and statistics. The Bill of Rights limits the power of the government. Period. In short, the right to carry firearms has nothing to do with the likelihood that one might need to use that firearm. Faulty reasoning, based on probability and statistics and not the law, ignores the fundamental reason why the founders penned the second amendment: protection from tyranny. The likelihood of needing to use arms to overthrow a tyrannical government might be small. But take away the right to bear arms (as was done in Nazi Germany for Jewish people), and the likelihood of needing to overthrow a tyrannical government might increase. Odds mean nothing when it comes to Constitutional Rights. I may never need to invoke the 5th Amendment's protection from self-incrimination, but god bless America, I'm glad it's there for me just in case. Just like the 2nd Amendment.

Thank you.

• Any Question About Who's Calling the Shots in Yellowstone National Park?   6 years 4 days ago

People go to yellowstone to rest and relax, to get away from the noise of the city. Snowmobiles are too noisy, too polluting, and destroy vegetation when the snow cover is not that deep. Even when the snow cover is deep, taller plants are susceptible to damage.

• Traveler's View: Concealed Weapons Have No Place In Our National Park System   6 years 4 days ago

I am in the US Navy and currently hold a concealed weapons license and teach small arms safety. I have read most of the comments that have been written and it seems to me that the people who are opposed to allowing law abiding Americans who have been licensed by the government to carry are concerned for their safety. This intrigues me because at any given time you may be surround by any number of people walking down the side walk, through the mall, or shopping at your local grocery store that are carrying a concealed weapon without your knowledge. I haven’t heard one complaint of safety in those areas yet. Why would the National park system be any different? Do you really think that people who are licensed to carry a concealed weapon is going to randomly just shoot up a national park? Then why aren’t they randomly shooting up Wal-mart, Publix, or while walking down the sidewalk? There is no difference between the guy or gal that is carrying concealed weapon standing behind you at Wal-mart then the guy or gal hiking behind you on the trail. It is not a matter of safety it is a matter of my right to bear arms. It doesn’t matter how many people got killed, committed suicide, got attacked, raped, or otherwise, it is my right and I want it back. I want to know that I will at least have a chance to draw my own weapon and shoot back if someone starts shooting at my family and I. I don’t carry for my protection I carry for theirs and yours if need be.

Although I disagree with your article Mr. Repanshek I most certainly enjoyed reading it. You have done a fine job researching and presenting you point.

I am an educated man myself who has been researching the prevention of violent crime for well over a decade. I am a husband and father...and a good citizen. As a man we are obligated, we have a duty to protect our loved ones and other citizens. The single most effective tool for protection from a violent criminal is a firearm.

Why would you argue against my being able to protect my wife and children in the same manner I do everywhere else?

• Why Stop At Golden Gate National Recreation Area? What Other NRAs, Monuments, Etc., Should Be Renamed?   6 years 4 days ago

It makes me wonder when the NPS might think a quota system will be necessary for crowd control in Zion. I'm thankful for the bus system there, though. When I first visited a decade ago, the place was gridlock all the way to the Narrows. Today, the bus is a breeze, with local stories from the bus driver to boot. Last summer I even managed to fight my way through the crowds and snag a frontcountry campsite mid-way through the July 4 weekend, despite the "campground full" signs posted everywhere. Zion was a circus, but not so crazy I couldn't find a place to park, which has happened to me on beautiful fall weekends at Rocky Mountain National Park. They probably couldn't keep the cars out of Zion anymore than they do now because, for those willing to pay the fee or show a park pass, it's on a through highway.

It is not only the visitors that need to be educated, but the staff. I stayed at White Wolf campground a few summers ago, and the camphost left out eggs to entice the bears to the campsite his niece was staying at. It angered me, we had bears in the camp all night, people yelling and banging pots & pans, so much for the tranquility of nature. Also, you can not tame a wild animal and/or put it in a zoo. We all need to be more aware and responsible when camping/hiking.

With the experience per say that the NAtl parks have you would think that they could of caught this bear and tame it for it wildlife habitat or put it in a local zoo?I'am pretty sure most people that visits our parks today out side of the old school people are lame.dumb,and stupid.and don't take the necessary percautions when thier out in the wilderness.there should be required trainning before any gusts is allowed into these areas to provide safety and security for both nature and its dumb friends todays humans who have no brain cells left to think about anything.except of course their next meal!

• Why Stop At Golden Gate National Recreation Area? What Other NRAs, Monuments, Etc., Should Be Renamed?   6 years 5 days ago

Interesting article. Referring again to Rocky Mtn. Nat'l Parks elk overpopulation and adding bear troubles, it might not be so bad to sell a few leather jackets made of elkskin, bearskin rugs, elk and bear meat.

The current economic activities in many of the parks, of which Yosemite is a great example, serve the needs of elites who plan semi-religious retreats years in advance, and the needs of motorists above almost any value you can think of.

It's true that Yosemite and Zion, for example, have closed the upper reaches of the Nat'l Park valleys to private vehicles, but the lines of autos wanting to enter get longer each year and the political clamor obviates pushing the ever popular auto even further back, say to Modesto, or to the nearest town east of Zion's east entrance.

There might be some business for those towns, don't you think? I am proposing sustainable economic activity on the fringes of a nature we hope will sustain us forever, instead of laissez faire exploitation here.

• Any Question About Who's Calling the Shots in Yellowstone National Park?   6 years 5 days ago

Thanks for the links. I had never heard of the NP Organic Act of 1916 or the 1978 Redwood Amendment! I have known of the distinction between preservation and conservation, and that the former is supposed to apply to the Nat'l Parks.

I am adamantly opposed to the use of individual snowmobiles in Yellowstone. But I think a reasonable compromise would be to allow tour guides to operate *quiet,* four-stroke cycle engine machines that can carry several people over roads that already exist. That way clearing the pass wouldn't be necessary, the noise and pollution of two-stroke cycle engines would be eliminated, and snowmobiles could be kept away from sensitive areas and wildlife.

Living near Rocky Mountain Nat'l Park, as I do, the preservation of plantlife has become a conflict with the overpopulation of elk. There is a great deal of controversey over how to handle that situation. Controlled hunts have been proposed, but the outcry against them is nearly deafening.

It would be a marvel if Congress, along with the people it represents, would come to their collective senses.

Regards.