• U.S. Senator To Make Bid to Allow National Park Visitors to Carry Guns   6 years 10 weeks ago

I don't have a bone to pick in this argument. I'm at once a pacifist, but I'm also an anarchist - so I don't really care about government rights versus privileges. I don't like guns; I don't like hierarchies asserting their power by hording arms in themselves while at the same time denying it of people they control. I don't like any of it on any of the traditional sides of the argument.

However, I do care a great deal about what's said to be innate.

When Anonymous writes: "Our right to arm ourself is also inate..."

What is the argument for saying that? What is the argument for any right whatsoever being innate?

I wrote a series of essays on John Locke and the influence of his thinking on why there are national parks (forget about what one does in them), and I wrote against the very basis of Locke's thinking, that there is a certain innate right that people have that they cede over to government; that right being what it is, they can do with land as they will. Those for government and against government both seem to accept Locke's basic arguments about natural (innate) rights.

What gives you reason to believe that there is an innate right to arm oneself?

And, for those on the other side, what gives government "the right" to stop people from being armed?

"in Baltimore County, MD, when a 15-year old kid took his father's legally owned gun and killed him and his entire family?"

This kid's father stored his gun in an irresponsible manner. Taking MY gun from ME wouldn't have helped here, and it's not what we were talking about. But FYI, my gun is either in my holster or in the lock box.

This link will get you to the information about the most recent report about guns and crime. Read it for yourself; I won't tell you what it says.

I live on the edge of the Everglades National Park. It is one of the largest areas in Florida that bans ordinary law abiding citizens from carrying firearms. There are hundreds of thousands of law abiding gun carriers in Florida who walk around everyday without commiting violence. These people are more law abiding than your average citizen without a concealed weapons permit. We must get finger printed, an FBI background check, and several other requirements. To prohibit these people from carrying the same inanimate object while in a national park is without logic.

I applaud Sen. Coburn and the others for taking a stand for what is right.

I have had to use a gun to save the life of my infant son from a vicious dog attack while walking down my own street. I live in a nice part of town and the police arrived in less than 5 minutes. Had I been unarmed and waited for the police I could have been seriously injured and my son killed within that five minutes. Far worse could occur while in the secluded vast wilderness of a national park.

The Everglades has alligators, bear, panthers (though not many), poisonous snakes, dangerous wild boar, and the potential to run into two legged predators is there too. For the federal government to not allow law abiding citizens to legally do what they may throughout the rest of the parks in Florida is criminal and unconstitutional. This bill is long overdue, but better late than never.

Our right to self defense as a Person, a state, as a nation is inate. Our right to arm ourself is also inate, and constitutionally protected under the second amendant. Our constitutional rights are protected under Federal law. Namely Title 18 chapter 13 sec 242. If we as a person, dont have the right to arm ourselves then niether do all policemen. The parks are there for everyones enjoyment, but one persons life is more important, and more valueable than all the animals on earth. And should be defended, and should have the right to be defended. The senator from Ok is right.

• Master Craftsmen Restoring 18th Century House That Survived the Civil War   6 years 10 weeks ago

This is an extraordinary example of a public /private partnership. Without the collaboration of the FSNMP and the Friends of Wilderness Battlefield the restoration would likely not be a reality. Hats off to all!

"the point is that even in the hands of law-abiding citizens, people end up dying from senseless gun violence.

Source, please."

How about just last weekend in Baltimore County, MD, when a 15-year old kid took his father's legally owned gun and killed him and his entire family? His father was a law-abiding citizen and owned the gun legally. And yet 4 people are dead. Can you not envision a situation in a campground where something similar could happen?

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: The more people are allowed to carry guns, the less safe I feel.

• Senators Pushing To Allow Concealed Weapons in National Parks   6 years 10 weeks ago

I'll keep this simple-I never even thought of carrying a concealed weapon until I heard about the lone girl hiking with her dog in Georgia. Some nut kills her for no reason other than he is a psycho nut. If she had a right to carry she could have defended herself against this nut. She is just one example of the many. How sad for her family. It sounds like you have a family, you are the protector of that family...what if you were to come across this nut or the many others that are out there that wanted to do your family harm. Don't you think the bad guys know they can prey on your family in the parks because sane good people are not allowed to carry protection. Sure they know this that is why they stalk in these areas. Your comment about bears and mountain lion is valid, they sure do exist but the human predators are also out there. Just the truth, doesn't mean I wouldn't like to live in your world where there are no bad people. But you are in a dream world. I am a mom of 2 and when I go out hiking with my children I want to be able to protect them from the bad guys if we encounter one. Hopefully we don't but if we do I sure want to use whatever it takes to defend my family. You can take anything over the top if you want to by saying where does it stop...A CCW stands for concealed meaning my little 38 fits in my pocket....there are regulations that go along with having this permit that must be adhered to. Talk to the victims families instead of siding with predators...my gosh you are a man, where is your protective instinct?

If you feel you need protection from the wild animals in a National Park, then stay home. One purpose of the parks is to protect those animals. If you think you might need to shot one, stay away.

If national parks are such safe places, why are many park rangers now carrying handguns? Criminals love places where honest citizens are not allowed to be armed; it makes their job so much easier!

I think its a good thing to allow citizens the right to carry firearms of their choice in parks to protect themselves from 2 AND 4 legged predators.

Our National Parks are nothing less than another "Gun Free Zone" where 2 legged predators are free to attack people that are guaranteed to be defenseless under current law.

People that have an irrational fear of people exercising the choice to carry firearms also used to scream and yell that the streets would turn into the Wild West with shootouts everywhere if we were to issue concealed carry permits to all persons that do not have a criminal background....in fact Concealed Carry has turned out SO well that most states that are now "Shall Issue" also enjoy lower rates of violent crime.

I just wish more people would stop acting so irrationally about a simple tool like a firearm.

Well, it might interest some of you to know that 47 senators have asked the NPS to conform to the gun laws of the state(s) in which a park is located.

Quote: "why would anyone going to a park want or need to carry a weapon[?]"

Well, for the same reasons that one would want or need a gun in any other area: for protection from criminals and wild animals.

Criminals will carry and misuse guns regardless of the law. All gun bans do is disarm law abiding citizens leaving them vulnerable. I applaud Senator Coburn for his common sense when it comes to these issues. Keep it up Senator.

Source, please.

"In a park, one should not have to worry about if the person down the trail or across the parking area is toting a fully loaded, semi-automatic pistol. "

No, you just have to worry about the person you meet on the trail bashing your head in like those poor people in NC and GA.

Comparing matches to guns is the most asinine statement I think I've ever read. Matches have several uses -- guns have 1 use: to kill. That is what they were created for. The point isn't for "irresponsible people" who would ignore laws anyway; the point is that even in the hands of law-abiding citizens, people end up dying from senseless gun violence. Personally I would NOT feel safer in a national park knowing that there are other people who have the "right" to carry guns legally in the parks. This is why I don't backpack in national forests -- where idiot hunters who might mistake me for a bear, squirrel or elk (yes, it happens a lot), and who hang out at night around a campfire drinking beer and taking pot shots might mistakenly put a bullet in my back. Sure, I know that non-law abiding citizens are right now roaming the national parks with guns, poaching animals and maybe even using their guns against people. But I still feel safer knowing the number of guns is a lot less in a national park than it is even walking down a street in Anytown, USA. How many more senseless deaths from gun violence do we need?

My views haven't changed on this issue. Read my other posts. I am NOT an arsonist. But I do carry matches. Do you want to ban those too? Legal gun-owners don't poach nor do they indiscriminately shoot at anything they see. You're thinking of those irresponsible people who ignore laws and regulations anyway.

You would think these people would learn from all the tragedies that are caused by guns.

Tragedies are not caused by guns. If you want to stop violence in this country banning guns won't do that, but changing the way we interact with each other will. As far as carrying weapons in a National Park goes, the vast majority of gun owners are law abiding citizens who only want to protect themselves. Do you really think that gangbangers are going to unload their pistols and lock them up at the entrance to Yosemite?

You're right. It's absolutely insane to carry a firearm miles from civilization. The mountain lions won't hurt you. Unless they do.

For those who only stop at park visitor centers or for lunch at a roadside picnic area, guns may have little or no utility. For those who enjoy hiking or camping, particularly in the more remote areas of parks, a gun might provide welcome protection from predators of both the two- and four-legged variety.

I hope Coburn is able to get this done. I live in an area surrounded by National Parks and it in inconvenient and I think dangerous to the citizenry to ban firearms. As shown by the fact that state concealed carry laws have not resulted in mayhem as the Fraternal Order of Police and other anti-gun groups warned, the law abiding public can be trusted. Laws against guns should only be aimed at criminals and criminal behavior.

This is beyond belief. The National Park System is just that....it's a park...created for the enjoyment of natural beauty by everyone: young, old, Mom and Dad, Gramps & Gram's, family outings, friends, camping, hiking, y'all git the picture.
    In a park, one should not have to worry about if the person down the trail or across the parking area is toting a fully loaded, semi-automatic pistol. And furthermore, why would anyone going to a park want or need to carry a weapon, unless that park has been specifiically designated and posted as allowing hunting during proper seasons. In which case, I would be able to steer clear of those areas during season and let the hunters go at it.

Criminals are going to break the law no matter what law is put in place. If poachers are wanting to poach they will poach. If armed robbers want to threaten people at gun point to rob them, guess what they are going to use? They don't give a flying flip about what gun control law they are breaking, because they know the law abiding citizens are stuck obeying the laws and are defense-less which make them the easy victim. If everyone carried a gun, you would be amazed on how much crime would not exist. Who's dumb enough to try and rob the liquor store that the owner keeps a shotgun under the counter and a .45 on their hip? What criminal with a deathwish would try to mug and rape a woman that has a 9mm under her jacket? If poaching in National parks is that big of a problem, do what the game wardens in africa do, Carry AK-47's and if you see them do it, shoot first and ask questions later. Problem solved. Alot can be accomplished from a kind word and a gun, than a kind word alone.

This is great news! Good for the Senator.

Thank you Senator Coburn for introducing common sense legislation concerning firearms for the National Parks. I applaud you.

I sent the comments below to the Senator. Please take the time to send your comments to the Senator as well. It can make a difference.

Senator,

Guns do not belong in our national parks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The potential for some beer drinking Neanderthal mistaking a person for a bear is to great a risk. This idea would be dangerous for visitors and rangers. I visit our national parks as often as I can. They are our national treasure. I have met many world travelers while in these parks who all ready have fears of visiting many of our cities because of our less than useless gun control laws. These parks bring millions of tourist dollars into the USA and in particular to the surrounding communities. If your truly conservative than you must consider the economic impact this will most certainly create. If this a ploy to collect PAC money from the gun lobby for your next election than SHAME ON YOU!!

Sincerely,