• National Park Service Struggles to Restore and Protect Historic Sightlines at Manassas National Battlefield Park   6 years 4 weeks ago

Developers cut down more trees in a month in Prince William County than there are in all of the Park.

• Why Stop At Golden Gate National Recreation Area? What Other NRAs, Monuments, Etc., Should Be Renamed?   6 years 4 weeks ago

Does the Department of the Interior, or Congress, or any government agency, have any sort of guidelines to differentiate what should be "labeled" a National Park vs. National Monument?

Changing a name means absolutely nothing if you do not fund the change!! I agree that changes should be made in some areas (not all areas!) but let's be honest, with the economy zooming downwards, the war sucking up every resource we have... there isn't going to be any positive change in funding for our parks even though they deserve it. Leave it alone until we are able and ready to fully fund a proper change tha is done for the right reasons.

Speaker Pelosi should be ashamed for promoting this idea. [edited]

• Superintendents' Summit Raises Both Issues and Questions   6 years 4 weeks ago

Beamis--

The idea that the states or municipalities are going to take over the adminstration of national park areas runs counter to the prevailing trend: the assumption of areas like Gateway and Golden Gate by the NPS when local and state management entities can no longer afford them. Which level of government has the deepest pockets?

As to the idea that trusts or NGOs can assume the management of some of the NPS areas ignores the fact that almost no park area can be self-sufficient without pricing itself out of the market.

I have argued in the past that this is a matter of generational equity. Each generation of Americans gets to add to the National Park System tha areas it believes merit protection and preservation in perpetuity. I can't imagine a future generation deciding that what my generation added to the System--MLK Jr., the Alaska parks. Kings Canyon, etc.--no longer merited protection in the National Park System but ought to be managed by a state or some kind of NGO. Nor am I willing to second-guess previous generations of Americans.

As you point out, it is a matter of priorities. There is enough money to finance the System. We just need to make such funding a higher priority.

Rick Smith

• Judge Restores ESA Protection for Wolves in Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem-Updated   6 years 4 weeks ago

Let's just hope the irate ranchers that despise Judge Molloy's ruling (and would be poachers) keep their long guns at bay. Empty the bullet chambers and let the wolves help balance nature once again...as it's intended to do!

• Wolves Join Grizzlies in Fishing at Katmai National Park and Preserve   6 years 4 weeks ago

Let's see, a little fish hors d'oeuvre for snack and now for the main entree...mutton! I love this little piece Kurt!

• Glacier National Park Officials Again Voice Opposition to Railroad's Avalanche Blasting Proposal   6 years 4 weeks ago

Build the sheds!, don't bomb the park!!! After all, Mother Nature was already here, the railroad came along and built the tracks through this section, they should build the sheds to protect them, not destroy the animal life or the enviroment!!!!

Now that is one step in the right direction! If the government would keep their "grubby" little hands out of everything, then maybe, just maybe, we could take more steps in the right direction. God put the animals on the earth, who are we to remove them???

Thanks for following this Kurt. This is an emotional issue. I do not want to see any species overrun, nor do I want to see one wiped out.

• Summertime: What National Parks Are On Your "Must Visit" List?   6 years 4 weeks ago

We got a jump on our summer travel early this year, and so far our family has been to Devil's Tower, Mt. Rushmore, Mesa Verde, Arches, Canyonlands, and Rocky Mtn. National Park, and my daughter visited Pearl Harbor. Our favorite, though, was spending an old fashioned 4th of July at Ft. Laramie National Historic Site. They had games for kids and adults going on all day, plus all the historic reenactors, plus the ice cold bottled sasparilla...it was a day to remember! I'm glad to see that one made it on your list--it really is a fascinating look into our pioneering past, but often gets overlooked. :)

You must be new to this website because I have long advocated (and subsequently been pilloried for) a long list of possible alternatives for administering many NPS units under a different umbrella. Some of them include non-profit trusts and foundations, turning many of the smaller and less visited historical units over to willing state and local municipalities or non-profit historical societies as well as tightening up the ease with which Congress can create less than nationally significant units for purely political purposes, even when the NPS deems them inappropriate for inclusion in the system (see the recent thread in NPT about the newly created park in Patterson, NJ).

You can check on my past postings for more about what I think is the essential paring down that must occur in order to maintain and preserve the true crown jewels of the system.

With two expensive wars backed by an overheated printing press it ain't hard to see that Uncle Sam is in the poor house and can't afford his expensive park system any more than he can his $53 trillion in unfunded Medicare and Social Security obligations. The time to look for alternative ways to preserve the national parks is now. Our broke uncle is headed for foreclosure and the parks are going to be the last thing on his mind while he's standing in the welfare line.

Beamis, I am all ears. What do you suggest ?

• Zion National Park is a Magnet for Canyoneers   6 years 4 weeks ago

I love exploring the canyons in Zion, but having witnessed a flash flood in Zion I could never be a true canyoneer. To say the flash flood left a vivid impression on me would be an understatement. I could not believe the force of the flash flood, how fast it came out of no where, how long it lasted, the roar of noise it created, and the debries that it left behind. I was in a awe of the power of mother nature, and because of that there is no risk of me taking someone's canyoneering permit spot next summer!!

Well, Bob, it would be nice if you could see your last wish to fruition through the same tenacity that got the park established. Unfortunately, I think only prayers and sacrifices to the Avian gods are going to help at this point. The realist in me knows it can't happen, but the romantic still wants to believe they're out there - a couple dozen pairs waiting for a comeback. I think there's room in ecology for the occasional romantic notion.

As for Congaree, one of my favorite things was the attitude of the rangers at the VC. They reminded me of the folks at Sleeping Bear, but even more proud of their park and genuinely excited to interact with visitors. One of them started talking about the park's establishment like he was discussing his newborn baby. Then, when he heard we were headed to Carolina Sandhills NWR next, he told me about his history there and we talked about longleaf pines and red-cockaded woodpeckers for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, my wife mentioned to another ranger we would be canoeing Cedar Creek the next morning, and instantly there were maps spread all over the counter while the ranger talked about the route and where she'd heard there were new portages. Now, I'm sure the lack of visitors had something to do with it, but I've never been taken care of to that degree in Acadia, Everglades, or any of the western parks. It seems like I often run into rangers that view me as a necessary evil. I think that's completely forgivable, having seen what the rangers at Yosemite and Acadia and Grand Canyon have to deal with from many of the visitors. But it certainly makes experiences like Sleeping Bear and Congaree more than memorable.

Kirby, I'm not surprised that you enjoyed Congaree National Park. It's one of the best kept secrets east of the Mississippi. I'm a bit biased, I must admit. It's my home park, and I was part of the small (but tenacious) grassroots campaign that saved that magnificent river bottom hardwood forest from being turned into coffee tables and pallets. My one remaining big wish for that place is that a viable population of ivory-billed woodpeckers will be reestablished there some day.

Ticking a few off my lifelist during a colossal car-camping trip this August. We're hitting Theodore Roosevelt, North Cascades, Olympic, Mt. Rainier, Yellowstone, and Badlands. (I notice everyone here uses codes, so I suppose I should say "THRO, NOCA, OLYM, MORA, YELL, and BADL") Being the odd chap I am, I think I'm looking forward to Roosevelt the most. And I'll have to find time at some point for my home park, and one of my favorites, Sleeping Bear Dunes.

Next year it's either Big Bend or Acadia. I'm an ecology geek and I've never been to a desert, so BIBE is looking good. Last year it was Congaree, a pleasant surprise and one of the best NPS experiences I've ever had. Sigh...so many parks, so few years - and dollars!

• Where Are the Best Sunrises in the National Park System?   6 years 4 weeks ago

Yes, Bob, you've been fooled! The dunetop vantages you speak of are generally between SSW and SSE of a typical camp on the east shore of North Manitou. (Everyone else camps on the west side, so this is only relevant to me, I suppose.) So in the first shot linked below from Pyramid Point, you're seeing North Manitou's south shore about 7 or 8 miles almost due north of you. Looking due east from a typical camp on NMI, you'll be seeing 15 miles of water until you hit the Lelanau Peninsula which is both trending away from you to the east and losing the hundreds of feet of relief it has in the dune area. So the land is barely visible. I don't know where the sun rises on the 45th parallel in mid-July, but just a little bit north of due east from this camp and you've actually got about 80 miles of open water! See the sunrise pictures.

South Manitou is more for the fanny-pack-wearing crowd with kids in tow, but with some redeeming ecological features - an old-growth cedar grove, for example. North Manitou is wilderness and far more enjoyable. The rangers have generally informed me that I'm one of about 30 or 40 people on an island 20 miles in circumference on the trips I've made there. I suppose some times and seasons are busier, but it's definitely the choice for nature. I think it's the garter snake capital of the world. And two years ago, I managed to see a piping plover about 15 feet away from me, just before I turned around to see a huge adult bald eagle swoop over my head on it's way out to pick something out of the surf. Good stuff.

-Kirby.....Lansing, MI

• Brown Bears Fishing at Katmai National Park and Preserve   6 years 4 weeks ago

That is an incredible image. The beauty reminds me of the Great Bear Rainforest which I visited last year. Nice to see nature at play in a safe place!

Dagny
    www.onnotextiles.com
    bamboo and organic clothing

If y'all think a new administration is going to solve the systemic problems that face the national parks, starting with needless and wasteful layers of entrenched bureaucracy combined with brazenly shameless politicking I've got news for you: it ain't gonna happen!

This is, after all, the federal government we're talking about.

I worked for the NPS through three different administrations and the song has always remained the same regardless of what party was in the White House: namely that the agency was an underfunded, top heavy bureaucracy that was deftly manipulated by petty vote grubbing Washington politicians on the make.

My friends, these circumstances are not about to change any time soon. A corrupt, war-drained, insolvent and bankrupt government is nothing to pin your hopes on; yet that is precisely what most of you continue to do year after year, hoping against hope that things will somehow get better under the stewardship of the self-perpetuating mandarins in DC.

Isn't it time to look elsewhere for salvation?

• Visiting Great Smoky Mountains National Park? Try Not To Breath the Air   6 years 5 weeks ago

Hey folks, take a good hard look from Moro Rock in Sequoia National Park, the pollution is even worse. With all the fires in California and the daily auto emissions, you can kiss this once majestic view good bye. Sad but true and getting worse!

Marylander, I live near GSMNP and you are so right except that the air is getting worse in the fall too ! What a crying shame !

I have pictures of the Smokies from 25 years ago that clearly show how the air is getting progressively worse... it makes me very sad. My family and I have a strict policy, however, of only visiting GSMNP during the spring time or the late fall when the crowds are much more managable. Now we can tack better air quaility to our list of reasons to avoid the summer there.

• Superintendents' Summit Raises Both Issues and Questions   6 years 5 weeks ago

Such a farce and waste of money. We need new administration from the top down....new President, new Secretary of Interior, new National Park Director.

Wasting time and money on a political PR event is a crying shame and pure BS when we have so many dire needs !

• Summertime: What National Parks Are On Your "Must Visit" List?   6 years 5 weeks ago

All of them are on my "Must Visit" list, well those from the Rockies to the Pacific Ocean anyway.
    Will be in ONP for a week to ten days here soon, then it will be MRNP the following week then
    NCNP for a while.
    That is about as far into the future I dare go :-]