• Prescribed Fire in Grand Canyon National Park Now Out of Control   6 years 9 weeks ago

It's deja vu all over again Yogi. I guess nothing of substance was culled from the last poorly executed "controlled burn" that torched the area in and around Powell Plateau some years back. Maybe they should only let these fire "experts" play with their matches from November to March.

• Oglala Sioux Just Might Reclaim Southern Half of Badlands National Park   6 years 9 weeks ago

Defiling the land with casinos was instituted by Native traditions, eh? I guess you've never heard of such little communities as Las Vegas, Atlantic City, the Chicago-metro area, St. Louis, Blackhwawk (CO), Biloxi.......how many more do you want me to name?

Spray painting rocks on the "rez"? Explain to me how that's less dignified than spray painting the tenements, freight trains, garage doors, highway overpasses, store fronts, mass transit vehicles, traffic signs and anything else that's available in urban society, if you have a reasonable explanation into such behaviors. Which I doubt.

Speaking of destruction of housing, ever visited a low-income public housing unit in a major metropolis, or is your lily-white suburb all you see and know about life in America?

Ah yes, the inevitable killing and torture of one's own. Show me a society that doesn't have that little black mark on their family eschuteon, again, if you can. European society has been SO civilized throughout the course of history, and continues to exhibit those model behaviors of total self-control to the present date, as have and do the Asians, Africans, South Americans and Australians, right amigo?

Careful when you point your finger that you're not inadvertently standing in front of a mirror.

• Violent Deaths in the National Parks   6 years 9 weeks ago

Mr. Frank N.Law

Pick up a copy of "The American Rifleman". Within the first 10 pages of EVERY issue there is column called "The Armed Citizen". It is comprised of 4 or more clippings from newspapers around the nation every month reporting about just such Law Abiding people that you seem to believe are imaginary. The articles are not old or "re-used" but new every issue with the date and the source news organization printed at the bottom of each one. Here is a link to a sight that will give you an example: http://www.nrapublications.org/ac/Index.html. Of course a dyed in the wool Hoplophobe like yourself will probably continue to find fault with citizens who choose to exercise their 2nd Amendment Right and use YOUR First Amendment right to tell everyone about it! Oh, bye the way, my late father was a Minnesota Department of Resources District Forest Ranger in northern Minnesota from six months after I was Born in 1959 right up until he retired and, against all the proscribed rules, ALWAYS carried a Colt Model 1911 in his day pack. Why? Was he afraid of "bad guys"? No. But he had run-ins with bears, wolves, rabid badgers, and even rutting bull moose (more than once, I might add)! You don't run off a bull moose in rut by yelling "BOO". So I hope you continue to enjoy your many days in the wilderness without event but I know that treks into the woods don't always go the way man plans.

• Yellowstone National Park Bison Unhappy With Photo Shoot Tosses Pennsylvania Boy   6 years 9 weeks ago

My feelings echo those of the previous contributors in that whoever made the decision to stand so close to the bison was the definition of stupidity. The question I have is who paid for the airlift and subsequent medical transportation? I would hope that the NPS sent any bill to the family as they were entirely responsible for this incident.

KDoyle, I completely agree with you!

• Former NPS Director George Hartzog Passes   6 years 9 weeks ago

NOT ENTIRELY FAIR ABOUT BOMAR:

Director Bomar's piece "about" Director "Hartzog" actually does reference Director Hartzog or his wife by name six times.

In the same message, she refers to "I" or "Me" or "I'm" NINE times. That is not as bad as the comment, as it amounts to only NINE for Bomar and as many as SIX for Director Hartzog.

This is just to be fair.

Cindy K;
    And where do you come from? What kind of 'education' school of hard knocks or other wise gives you the 'authority' to ridicule ANYONE?
    Those Bison are conditioned year after year by 'you' Rangers, and DOL agents to despise any form of humans, with the incessant hazing and harassment of these majestic animals. I have lived with and among these animals (grizzlies included) for over 40 years, and I have to tell you they are way smarter than most humans, and especially the "Park Rangers". Your type of attitude does NOT belong in a National Park that is SWORN to PROTECT that which is within it's boundaries.
    WHY didn't the Park TEST those Bison they so quickly hauled to the slaughterhouse? In 'your' own IBMP plan it states to test and slaughter ONLY the positive. Had 'you' done that, the supposed Brucellosis problem in the Bison could have been reduced. Instead 'you' slaughtered everything 'you' could get your 'hands' on. How is that PROTECTING? How is that Scientific?
    The Park Service is nothing more than a pawn in the Cattleman Association's game. The Park service (when it comes to protecting the animals) are WORTHLESS.

Editor's note: Parts of this comment were deleted for gratuitous personal attacks. Everyone should focus their comments on substantive issues and not resort to personal attacks just because of a difference of opinion. Failing to maintain civility does no good.

A p.s. on this,

It also behoove us to have a frank discussion of the facts, the legal requirements, and the ethics of the situation without the kind of thing in your response to me. Your appeal to your authority as a ranger is not relevant to establishing the facts about actual bison numbers and the issues of right and wrong regarding the bison slaughter and hazing policy. My being a carpetbagger is also not relevant to the issue either - I don't and never would claim to have all the information regarding the bison - certainly not from five years working for a park concessionaire selling junk mostly made overseas. One's appeal to authority or the ad hominem used to show that someone is not an authority is not relevant; what is relevant is the policy itself, how that policy is actually affecting buffalo, and whether that policy is right or wrong.

Is it right or wrong that 1,613 buffalo were either sent to slaughter or hunted during the past winter? Outside of the buffalo killed by Native Americans asserting their treaty rights, all the others killed were ostensibly under the management of IBMP partners, most of which this winter happened at the Stephen's Creek capture facility? Is that factually correct? Even the Montana hunt was directed by the FWP, an IBMP partner.

Is it right or wrong that another 100 plus buffalo calves were sent to the quarantine facility near Corwin Springs?

Is it right or wrong that hundreds of buffalo were held for much of the spring in the Stephens Creek capture facility inside of Yellowstone National Park? Were they fed hay? Were buffalo born there? How many miscarriages were there?

Is it right or wrong that more than half the herd from the previous fall is now dead? What are those numbers? Where is the research and the methodology used to determine those numbers? Our group has not posted an exact number - statements from me are not statements for the group. Robert Hoskins reports that non-park people doing their own counts - whose methodology I also haven't seen - are coming up with numbers are lower than the 2,100 that have come out from the Park Service. It would be helpful for us carpetbaggers - as well as local people who have worked on this issue for decades in some instances - to have access to those facts so we don't have to trust the word of someone simply based on their ranger experience.

Now, I have a genuine legal question I don't have the answer to - what is the contractual obligation of the NPS under the IBMP? What I mean is, can NPS pull out of the IBMP? What are the penalties for pulling out? How does the IBMP ever end?

And, here's another question that might either be scientific or ethical or both - is numbers the only way to measure damage to the bison herds? You criticized me for anthropomorphizing buffalo, and yet that only begs the question of what effects slaughter, hazing, herd reduction and disruption, and winter have on the psychology of bison and the sociology of bison herds. What is the disruption, what is the damage, how might that affect the behavior of individual bison? What studies can you point to so that we could be better informed about this? If I shouldn't see a connection between the context of what happens to the buffalo by the government in the winter and what happens with tourists in the summer, then you point to me research why that is. And, ethically speaking, what other damage is at stake here in understanding the IBMP?

We can have this discussion, the moron carpetbagger and the group he belongs to and the seasoned veteran ranger and the National Park Service - we would welcome that discussion. The more that people understand what's going on, what could be going on, and what should be going on, then we'd all be better off.

In the meantime, we all agree that families from Pennsylvania and elsewhere should not be posing for pictures 1 to 2 feet from buffalo for the safety of themselves, the animals, and a whole host of other reasons as well. Still, I fail to see why I shouldn't be curious whether there's more to this story than that. Why shouldn't we wonder if there isn't also a connection to the summer buffalo annoyed by tourists to that same winter buffalo suffering under the IBMP.

• Congressman Accuses Sec. Kempthorne of Pandering to NRA on Gun Issue   6 years 9 weeks ago

Anonymous sez:
    > having a loaded gun in a national park doesn't make you safer; when you're in one of the safest places in the country

It does if you're one of the potential victims of a rapist, robber or murderer. Gun control laws don't work (see the DOJ study). John Lott never backed away from his data. Kleck and Gertz, authors of the defensive gun use study have had anti gun hordes try to pick apart their data. Even in a low-ball scenario (I'll spot you this one) an absolute, bare minimum of 100,000 citizens use firearms to defend their lives or prevent crime. That's a hundred thousand people who would have been victims in some way. Right to carry laws DO reduce crime. It's happened in every one of 41 states that have implemented the policy. And with no adverse affect. Toss your Texas data, we've already covered that one. Arrests and convictions are totally different.

Just as the First Amendment requires no demonstration of proficiency, neither should the Second. There are laws regulating both.

> in 2007, a mere 12 murders and 380 assaults were recorded in all national parks

That's pathetic. I don't have a clue who you are but since you've clearly shifted the burden of your personal defense to a non-existent law ENFORCEMENT officer (not a body guard), there is a chance this will result in your "mere" death or victimization.

Heller 5
    Washington D.C. 4
    Winner - The Second Amendment

• “10 Best National Parks”? National Geographic, You Have Got to be Kidding!   6 years 9 weeks ago

Mookie, if even half of what you say about National Geographic operations is true (and I have no reason to doubt it), we should be including National Geographic in our nightly prayers. That noble institution has gotten itself into a deep hole and is still furiously digging.

Cindy K.,

We look forward to some hard numbers from NPS. What we have seen are counts that NPS sends out that say right up front that they are not population estimates. We would like to see those estimates and transparency on the method used to determine undercount.

Even by what's coming out from the NPS press office, the numbers were at 2100 (a handy number for the IBMP), which is still significantly over half the herd dead from the previous fall.

As for the emotions of buffalo, I am not qualified to say. I have heard others who have said that buffalo will return to the same site that loved ones died for years after the fact and seen video footage suggesting as much. There's no doubt that the boy and the family violated the bison's sense of space. Now, if only the Park Service and the IBMP partners would stop doing the same. Then, we wouldn't have these kinds of discussions.

We look forward to a direct conversation with park staff about what's happening with buffalo. It's better than being ignored and having the slaughter and hazing program continue.

As a former employee of the National Geographic Society, I feel i should point out a few issues that may or may not be at work here:

1) This was a National Geographic book, and while everything NGS puts their name/brand on should really be treated the same, I can tell you they are not. The Book division hurts for money more than any other division at NGS, and I'm guessing that their editorial standards might not be as strict or go through as many levels as it would on the magazine.

2) These days NGS, especially the book division since it's hurting for cash, has a high need to make money. (Most of NGS is considered a non-profit organization, and the magazines and books fall under the non-profit area. Their for-profit divisions include things like the NG Channel and their web site. There's a joke at NGS that the only the non-profit part of the company makes money, and I'm sure it's still true.) As someone said above, I'm guessing that they chose the "parks" they did for this article because they wanted to appeal to as wide of a range as possible. If they picked all parks in Alaska, the Rockies and Pacific Northwest, then they would feel that 75% of the country's population wouldn't be interested because they aren't in their backyard.

3) How they could put a list together of 10 Best National Parks and NOT include Yellowstone is beyond me. Yes, everyone says it's the best. Yes, it's ridiculously crowded on the roads in the Summer. Yes, Old Faithful is a been there, done that phenomenon that is getting old. But I just described less than 1% of the park. Yellowstone is easily one of the most amazing place's on the earth, and its exclusion here shows that the writers/editors were just trying to throw some stuff on a page and get a book published as quick as possible with as little thought as possible.

Sounds like they did a bang up job.

• Park History: Would There Have Been a Mesa Verde National Park Without Virginia McClurg?   6 years 9 weeks ago

The initial version of this article contained a serious mistake, which has been corrected. I stated that Mesa Verde National Park was proclaimed by President Theodore Roosevelt using powers granted by the Antiquities Act, whereas the park was actually created via Congressional legislation signed into law by President Roosevelt. That's a VERY important distinction. My thanks to Ranger Callagan for bringing this to my attention. Let me add that he was actually polite enough to convey this information to Traveler via private e-mail rather than posting a blistering comment. That's better than I deserved. It's not comfortable to have your feet held to the fire, but it sure does keep you on your toes. Please excuse the Archy Bunker-style mixing of metaphors.

Lone Hiker: You forgot to mention that your "noble" natives tortured and killed their own in mass slaughter, buried the dead in mass graves.
    They now defile the land with casinos, spray paint "native pride" on the rocks on the rez, destroy the brand new, government housing we pay taxes for.
    Noble people? I don't think so.

Thanks Cindy K for telling it like it is to Mr MacDonald. The bison attacked the kid because it stepped past the boundaries of its comfort zone. Though I've never been in the mind of a bison, but I'm pretty certain that it didn't feel all the pent up frustration from the past winter and the subsequent hardships that followed ultimately resulting in an exposive outburst of rage against the unfortunate victim. It seems to me that we have another east-coast transplant that "found" the west and is now going to tell the world his philosophical views through his big city eyes how things "really are" back here in the rugged west. Please Jim, if you could...go back to DC and tell the tourists there not to walk too close to the wildlife in the ghettos because they've had a rough winter and they feel stressed out. By the way, I grew up in Montana, spent alot of time in the back country in close proximity to wild animals, etc. Now I live on the east coast and I'm constantly amazed by the warped views and misconceptions that people in the city have about so many aspects of life in the west in general. I can't wait to get back home to Montana were people have a bit more common sense. Can't wait to here more of your posts Jim!

• Comment Period For Revised Gun Regulations for National Parks About to Close   6 years 9 weeks ago

Bob Janiskee --

It's probably fair to call it either one, or perhaps more accurately than either, Lee's Strategic Error. Longstreet argued against it but faithfully followed orders, however reluctantly. Pickett was the guy on the front line but it surely wasn't his idea.

I may have borrowed the General's name but I don't profess to be an authority on all things Civil War. I admire the General, though, for his integrity and courage in respectfully challenging his superior when he had deep concerns about his orders. He remained loyal despite his misgivings, and executed those orders to the best of his ability. He paid a profound price for doing so the rest of his life and in history. It's only in recent years that a more complete picture of the General has emerged. (For the record, I also think he was on the wrong side but the South had a number of leaders worth learning from, even admiring, despite everything.)

Ah, but this is WAY off the pertinent NPT topic!

J Longstreet, not the Civil War General but a National Park Superintendent

I just read the article posted by the PEER. They sound like gun-grabbers to me. I just can't understand how I will impact the Park environment by carrying my CONCEALED handgun with me. Is it the extra weight causing me to make deeper footprints? C'mon, it only weighs 31 ounces! You've got to be kidding me.

They actually make a good point to justify how important it is for me to carry my pistol: “Rangers are few, and the miles of roads and acres in the park system are many."

And please explain to me again how this affects poaching. Any Ranger will be able to tell that I didn't fire my gun. Especially when he sees that the first four rounds are rat shot. If the Ranger is trying to apprehend a poacher, I'm going to offer to help him/her find them!

Sorry, MRC, but saying "if you go by the codes" is a non-starter. The codes are dismayingly unreliable indicators of national park status. There are at least eight instances in which the Park Service has given the same code to two different National Park System units. You've mentioned SEKI, and to that we can add DENA, CRMO, GRSA, LACL, NATR, WRST, and GLBA. Like SEKI, each of those codes is shared by two units of the National Park System, which is to say two different national parks. (I might have missed some examples, in which case we'll probably be hearing from Sabattis.) The Park Service has also given NPS codes to some entities that are not even national parks. The Santa Fe Historic Trail, for example, is not a unit of the National Park System, but has been given the NPS code SAFE. (It is therefore unsafe to assume that SAFE is a national park. How ironic is that?!) The main lesson to take away is this: you can't count national parks by counting codes.

Possibly the bison, seeing the decline of the human species, was doing his best to cull the herd and allow only the less common sensically challenged to survive.

When will people realize that this area is not a petting zoo, but is populated by wild animals? Cute and fuzzy. Right.

In the National Military Parks in the East, relic hunters will have their vehicles confiscated. Possibly the Western parks should consider something similar for those intrusive on an animal's space. A couple of hefty bills for emergency personnel, transportation and services, well publicized, may discourage this type of foolish activity.

• Former NPS Director George Hartzog Passes   6 years 9 weeks ago

RIDICULOUS BOMAR MESSAGE ON GEORGE HARTZOG

HAS ANYONE EVER SEEN ANY MESSAGE FROM DIRECTOR BOMAR, no matter what the topic, that she does not manage to turn into something about HERSELF?

That’s right Mary, what we want to hear about right now is how George Hartzog “welcomed” Mary Bomar – how did you know? Anyone who really knew and worked with Director Harzog can imagine what short work he would have made of a self-absorbed show-piece such as Bomar, whether you can imagine George being described as “a gentleman from the old school” or not. One thing about George, he always made sure all of us put the name of the National Park Service and National Park System FIRST, and NEVER gave prominence to our own names.\\

* * *
    HERE IS THE RIDICULOUS MESSAGE FROM MARY BOMAR:

Message from the Director of the National Park Service
    Mary A. Bomar
    Saturday 28th June, 2008

It was with heartfelt sadness that I learned of George B. Hartzog's passing upon my return to Washington from Golden Gate, California on Friday night.

"Friends, family, and parks everywhere have lost a good friend. George Hartzog led the National Park Service for nine years. The people and the parks remained important to him more than 30 years after he left the job.

He offered his help to not only me but every Director who came after him and always shared both wisdom and candor. He will be missed. He was a great manager and leader. More importantly, he was a lovely man--a good man--a gentleman from the old school."

Keep in mind, I'm prejudiced. I honestly believe George Hartzog was one of the smartest persons I ever knew -- and I've known a lot of bright people.

I recall him welcoming me to his home after I became Director. And while his ailments had slowed him a bit, he retained all the intellect and keen interest in the parks that were, in addition to his wife Helen, the love of his life. This past year he participated in one of our National Leadership Council meetings, and continued to advocate for the parks, especially urban parks, throughout his remaining days..

Mr. Hartzog was 87 years old. He is survived by Helen, his wife of 60 years, and three children, Nancy, George Jr. and Edward. Funeral plans are incomplete, but expected to take place the middle or end of next week.
    * * *

Bob, if you go by the codes, then SEKI is just one unit - back to the issue at hand: I don't know many of the recommended parks, but my guess is, they put diversity on their list over excellence. They spread their 10 parks of choice all over the country, they put in the traditional well known parks into it, mixed in a few historical issues, stirred and let it fry. But in the end the result is ridiculous and not up to the standard we are used by the National Geographic, which is sad.

• Senators Pushing To Allow Concealed Weapons in National Parks   6 years 9 weeks ago

Dear Anonymous:

what is it about a certain strain of opinionators who seem to say THEIR opinion is simply about freedom, and everyone who disagrees should just leave the country?

Is it the SIMPLICITY of it, and the inability to recognize the complexity of the situation? Or is it the inability to tolerate any opinion but their own, and to seek a country with people exactly like them? Will these people remain wracked in anxiety as long as they can identify the possibility of any other point of view? And when they achieve such beautiful uniformity in the USA, will they be content to stop here, or find causes of anxiety and instability throughout the world??

Now, tell me again, what is your idea of freedom? You can use the little words, it will be ok.

Gen'l Longstreet performs brilliantly again. In a very few words, it seems to me he nails the essential situation.

It seems to me the issue of firearms in HOMES is enormous, Scalia going so far as to describing the owner drawing a bead with a handgun while dialing a phone. The issue of the home is also enormous throughout common law, and in the Supremes establishing other consitutional rights, such as the CT case, where the state law on birth control was seen by the Court as compromising the rights of a person within her/his home.

Personally, I do find it an enormous leap to go from the stated purpose of the 2nd Amend. being a militia, to Scalia's argument of self defense in one's home, but I think Gen. Longstreet is right to emphasize the way the decision aggregated constitutional and common law. and frankly, it seems to me at the time of the Framing there were still powerful risidual feelings throughout the land of stories of British soldiers being stationed in private homes and of British soldiers carting away weapons and powder whenever they could (or so the inflamed opinion went, with enough real examples to make it stick). But all this rationale is a far cry from guns in parks.

For the long term, of course, the NRA and its advocates will point to the simplicity of the term 'right to bear arms shall not be abridged' as the essence of the thing, therefore ultimately permitting every sort of access to arms, without any abridgement. It is interesting to note that on the similar argument for a "pure" reading of the First Amendment, the Minority [can I call them 'left-wing'?] Justices would say in their dissent "when the Constitution says 'no law' it means NO LAW." But in view of circumstances perceived by the Majority to make the law ridiculous if such an absolute interpretation were taken, found ways to apply common sense to the constitution in providing exceptions, or often redefinitions.

And, in the case of the Second Amendment, even such an extreme fulminator as Scalia found ways to avoid making the Court appear as ridiculous as the NRA would want. For Scalia seems to be saying that there are circumstances in which the right to bear arms can be abridged.

• Park History: Olympic National Park   6 years 9 weeks ago

Yes, I am afraid that the high cost of fuel will be a factor in how far RVers will travel. In 2007, we camp-hosted at Padre Island National Seashore for 4 months. In 2008, we camp-hosted at the same park for 2 of the same months. There were definitely fewer of the larger RV's. As expected, talking with the RVers, a major concern was fuel cost.

We took another trip to the ONP in November 2007. But, due to the high cost of fuel, we went in a car and stayed at hotels. In 2005 it cost appox. 1000 dollars rt. in the RV, from San Antonio to Port Angeles. At this time, the same trip would have been appox. 2000 dollars.

Yes, bear spray works. I live in Wyoming and know this. What you need to understand is that this is not about bears. This is a right of the people and if you are afraid of the honest man who carries a gun [then] you are afraid of freedom and should think about moving to Europe.