• Yellowstone Bison Population Healthy; Montana Priming For Hunts   6 years 26 weeks ago

Gunner Jack: Ever hear of a Polish rifle? The barrel is bent towards the hunter...use it on this hunt. Just joking! Seriously, in all candor, this a issue where the forestry range managers should work in dire effort to expand the rangeland for the buffalo...beautiful animal! The question is, how do we appease and convince the Montana rhinestone cowboys to give up some of there prime rangeland to enhance the health of the buffalo. Who came first...cowboy or buffalo? This is nothing more then a turkey shoot for the fabulous 38. Enjoy the easy pickens!

• Is the Bear "Hunt" in Katmai National Preserve Sporting or Ethical?   6 years 26 weeks ago

Katmai Lover, the Craighead Wilderness Institute in Montana whom specializes in wildlife studies would be a great source of help. Highly praised for their work in bear and animal research in Northern America. But, I doubt the Alaskan Board of Game, or the National Park Service would allow them to look at their sloppy book keeping and data (privilege information?) on the bear population in Katmai. This is a sensationalized story that should of been sought out sooner. I applaud the NPT and the media for bringing this story forth. Again, this actually is what this story implies: a unethhical bear hunt that amounts to nothing more "then easy pickens"! Now for the Buffalo fiasco in Yellowstone National Park...another unethical duck pond hunt!

• What is YOUR Favorite Park Experience?   6 years 26 weeks ago

I agree with Frank--difficult to choose just one. Most recently, I remember that a Park Service Law Enforcement Ranger found me and a friend staring slack-jawed at the base of a cliff, playing an amateur game of guess-the-petroglyph. Apparently, he decided our water bottles, tank tops, and sneakers made us unlikely pothunters, and spent the next hour leading us on an unofficial, on-the-trail, but not-in-the-guidebook, tour of New Mexico’s mysterious Chaco Culture National Historical Park. We saw oyster shells embedded in desert rocks, and discovered ancient etchings of small men, snakes, and mountain lions. Later, as the sun set, we examined a pile of rocks next to the Pueblo Bonito ruins. How many other visitors had walked past these same red-orange rocks and not noticed that the curvature of the rock pile echoed the rolling mountain peaks in the distance? He urged us to stay for the night sky program (trust me--you’ve never seen so many stars as you see at Chaco!) and then climbed in his truck and drove off. We counted the jackrabbits darting across the road, and then counted our lucky stars. Thanks, Ranger John.

Thanks for the info on what sounds like a great hunting opportunity. Bison meat is good meat, low in fat.
    Here's my rifle:
    What do y'all carry?

"Flight connection?" Don't jets cause global warming?
    But I guess you don't fly in your own private jet like Algore. lol....

Chris Day wrote "Overflying the area before landing we observed nine hunting camps. Every camp without exception had bears within 200 yards of their tents ". Doesn't that sound like A LOT of bears in one area? Maybe too many? I don't buy the argument stated Oct. 17 by Anonymous that "big money" is the reason we don't have any numbers on the Katmai bear population. I don't see a big effort by the authors of this article to find out about bear population trends in Katmai, and that is disappointing. There is a way to get people interested in proper management and conservation, and THIS IS NOT IT. Conservation groups are a good idea and I'm glad groups like the NPCA exist, but NPCA should support their cause with sound data, not sensationalized articles. If this bear hunt is cruel and unethical, then it is also cruel and unethical for wind turbines to kill birds.

• NPS Director Bomar Not Inclined to Overturn Yellowstone's Snowmobile Backing   6 years 26 weeks ago

"...to compromise the scenery and the natural and historic objects and to harrass the wildlife therein and to impede the enjoyment of the same in such manner and by such means as will leave them forever impaired solely for the eternal amusement of a handful of knuckleheads in annoying fart machines."

• The Consequences of the Legal Bear Hunt in Katmai   6 years 26 weeks ago

Is hunting baby deer legal?

• Katmai Bear Hunt: Outfitter Says It's No Walk in the Woods   6 years 26 weeks ago

Wow Anonymous---Do you realize Congresspeople do not listen to people named anonymous? Mr. & Mrs. Anonymous do not get to vote and for that reason they are not heard. For your information, I also did not appreciate the hunt that was portrayed in this particular video.

Thanks for pointing out the error, Jim. That's what happens when you're trying to get a post up and not miss your flight connection.

Yellowstone buffalo, like elk, are probably at numbers well beyond their historic numbers within Yellowstone. The problem is that bison have not been allowed to expand their range. I fear for the buffalo this winter caught in the usual pissing match among humans and their proprietary claims.

FYI, your article is in error. The NPS has claimed that there are 4,700 bison after the summer count (just below the 4,900 record). After last summer, the count was 3,900. The NPS news release is at http://www.nps.gov/yell/parknews/07100.htm.

Thank You Channel 2 News, Magen and everyone else for an oustanding job. Yes the video is but just a short epic of what's going on out on Katmai viewed by some as biased and not telling the whole story. Well, to show the rest of the story would be to show even more grotesque slaughter of the bears in this region on Katmai National Preserve. Rest asure, that is not the only footage and images of whats going on out there. The rest of the filming will surface when it's most appropriate. The eyes and ears are everywhere bear hunters and evry move is being recorded and documented.

The fact that she has the chutzpah to keep a straight face after having just spent $10 million on a snowmobile "study" is reason enough to dismiss whatever lock-step she is keeping with her fellow bureaucrats in support of the insupportable. In fact, I think this is an extremely useful illustration of the folly that is inherent in the continued support of this agency to manage wilderness much less picnic tables or rest rooms.

As for Mary's adoration of the Magi......er.....I mean Management Policies (the sacred capitalization emanating from her official statement, not mine) should come as no surprise. This is the modus operandi of an unresponsive bureaucracy: wantonly spend $10 million of the taxpayers money on a "study" and then blatantly ignore their input before stonewalling when confronted with a reasoned response. I couldn't make a better argument for wholesale change in the NPS if I spent of a month of Sundays on it.

Thanks for the vivid display of bureaucratic arrogance Mary. You're making my point about the bankruptcy of your agency way better than I ever could!

Sam, and pro bear kill significant others, it's quite obvious that your all upset about this videos pathetic contents in which it displays: the gross unethical slaughter of a innocent animal at feed. Your simply upset because it displays a open picture, or a small scope of the major UNETHICAL practices of hunting in Alaska. This video is a small mirror in what is truly happening in Alaska (ask the native Alaskan Indians) as far as illegal and gross mis-management practices of it's NOT so infinite resources. The BOG and the other Alaskan wildlife services have not provided enough data to the general public about the status of the Katmia bear population and else where. Why would they? The boards are stack with pro gut pile hunters who nourish and relish the fact that a bear trophy is a nice attraction for big bucks. It's not about sound and sane game management...it's about about a resource for BIG MONEY!! Why don't we get the famous Craighead Institute from Montana involved in this, and see what they say about this video Sam.

I will absolutely honor and obey the Management Policies.

Commandment #11: Honor and obey thy Management Policies.

Let's all bow down to the sacred Management Policies and not question their validity or purpose. To question would be blasphemous. We must honor them absolutely.

No wonder the NPS is so ineffectual: dogma, the established belief or doctrine held by a religion, ideology or any kind of organization, thought to be authoritative and not to be disputed or doubted.

• Alaska Regional Director Responds To Outrage Over Katmai Preserve Bear Hunt   6 years 26 weeks ago

Living with Bears, there are people writing comments who are native Alaskans and have years of experience living with bears and spending time out on Katmai. I personally get my information from many of these people some of them bear biologists. I have also been coming to Alaska for many years and some years twice. Over the past 8-9 years there has been a steady decline in bear numbers in GMU 9C 703 and I get some of that information by spending time out there year after year. When I'm out on Katmai, I trek for miles every day. How many of those wealthy bear hunters do you think are Alaskan natives? I bet NONE!! My family and I spend double the amount of money each and evry year on Alaska's economy than any bear hunter and it's already been pointed out to you that Katmai National Preserve is a public park and I've paid my park dues. you just read the comment from FACT, a native Alaskan who stated plenty of facts for you. I'm currious where you get your factual information? of course being the wife of a bear hunting guide your's must be the most accurate!! You don't have to have cancer to know it's bad and wrong. Once again pay attention to the isses people are upset about.. shooting the bears while they're still at th their dinner table. Moving the hunting season up to October one was the stupidist thing that could have been done. Most are not asking for the bear hunting to be stopped, just moved away from this region.

This video has about as much credibilty as Algore's POS.
    It figures that all you enviros believe it! LOL!!!!

Living with Bears. I do live in Alaska, in Fact I was born here. Where are you from. I have spent over Twenty years in the Katmai Park and Preserve. In all that time have never seen an over population of Brown Bears. Just a declining population, more so since 1999 when the hunting season was moved forward. Katmai Park was set-up in 1918 by President Teddy Rosevelt to protect the Brown Bears. The Presrve was laidout in 1981 as part of ANLCA. The way that the bear counts are done there is NO science to it. They fly a pattern and if they see ten bears they say there must be fifty. ( Using thier formula). The higher the supposed bear numbers the more they can kill. The Katmai Preserve is about 300 sq. miles. GMU 9C 703 is about 25 sq. miles. Let the hunters go to the far west end of the Preserve where the bears are not as use to being close to humans.

• What is YOUR Favorite Park Experience?   6 years 26 weeks ago

My very first night in the desert. Jumbo Rocks campground in Joshua Tree NP (then NM) in early May. A perfect day, a perfect evening with the round sand stones glowing deep red in the last light. And me on top of one of them. Then the night, still a bit chilly, with all the stars you can see in the desert but never in the city. Up again before sunrise, looking far out in the desert in the clearest air possible, the light had a blue hue in the last minutes before the sun crossed the horizon. In the next twenty minutes I was busy taking pictures of Joshua Trees as silhouettes against the sky, the sun, the barren land, the rocks and the other bizarre desert vegetation.

Thank you for the interesting video. I am not sure why there is such a concern about chasing the bear before killing it, that seems even more cruel than killing it quickly as these hunters did. I imagine the guy with the bow hoped to get a kill shot,but he didn't so they followed up quickly with the rifles.

It would be great if y'all had a nice graph on your homepage displaying actual KNP grizzly numbers for the past 10 years. I would really like to see some data that supports your claims. Could you at least direct me to your data sources so we can review them?

I did a float trip down American Creek this summer, and we saw 161 bears, which averages out to about four per river mile. I would have to agree with NPS that the population of bears is healthy in KNP, and that a little hunting every other year is sound management.

Dear "Living with bears",

Let's assume for a second that we need to manage the bear population in Katmai National Park. Who should do that? Trained experts or the highest bidder?

• What is YOUR Favorite Park Experience?   6 years 26 weeks ago

July 2007 Our first trip to Yellowstone. It started out on a bad note we were only about 30 miles away from home when the engine in my truck quit had to be towed along with my trailer to a dealership that night.We spent the next day waiting to see if the truck could be fixed.Found out the engine need to be replaced.So I traded it in on a new one and drove the rest of the way to Yellowstone.The rest of the trip was just incredible the weather was perfect and we took over a thousand pictures some great and some funny.So far it has to be the most memorable trip and the most expencive too.

• What is YOUR Favorite Park Experience?   6 years 26 weeks ago

July 1968, Isle Royale National Park, Huginnin Cove: My first family backpacking trip. I was still in grade school, and my parents were total novices who had no idea what they'd got us all into. We did all of our cooking and water purification over a modest wood fire. My Dad kept that fire going in the face of major Lake Superior thunderstorms, soaked wood, and a limited match supply. We slept in floorless canvas pup tents and cotton-shelled sleeping bags. We only saw one small boat come into the cove all week, and that for just an hour or two. Otherwise, we had the place to ourselves. We survived and actually enjoyed something that none of our suburban friend and neighbors would have dared to do. It was a tremendous introduction to wilderness solitude and self-sufficiency. This first adventure, like a first love, no matter how much better and more exciting were those that came after, sticks in my mind as the most memorable and intense.

Do you have a wilderness experience like this? We'd love to hear your telling of it. Just call it in to 866-590-7373.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    The WildeBeat "The audio journal about getting into the wilderness"
    Download the MP3 programs or subscribe to the podcast at...
    www.wildebeat.net

• What is YOUR Favorite Park Experience?   6 years 26 weeks ago

Frank, I was wondering if you'd remember that! Although, I suppose you had a few more opportunities to experience that bat count than I did. I was always sad that I got only one season at club "beds".

• What is YOUR Favorite Park Experience?   6 years 26 weeks ago

That also happens to be one of my favorite memories, Jeremy, although it's difficult to choose just one.