• Alaska Regional Director Responds To Outrage Over Katmai Preserve Bear Hunt   6 years 26 weeks ago

Blaszak's response is pure bureaucratic agency speak. It reminds me of the form letter I get back from my Congressman after writing him about nerve gas leaks and above ground bomb tests.

"We appreciate your concern for the park and its resources and welcome your continued participation in the public process."

These are the words of a person secure in their permanent civil service status with a fat & happy government retirement package safely on the horizon.

These are people I would not trust to mow my lawn, much less manage a vast and complex wilderness on the edge of nowhere. She is just a small cog in a massive bureaucracy that is unnaccountable in more ways than any of us would care to contemplate. Worst of all there is very little we can do about it short of a tax revolt.

Ms. Blaszak is the impersonal and obfuscating face of a Kafkaesque nightmare of an agency that is unable or unwilling to call this hunt what it really is: a bloody slaughter.

• Is the Bear "Hunt" in Katmai National Preserve Sporting or Ethical?   6 years 26 weeks ago

I live in the mountains in southern California. Back in 2002 they opened bear hunting to thin the population. There were too many bears. I am sure that the population of bears in this park are monitored and protected. Grow up people!!

Oh, I doubt if you could mount much of a case to support your statement insinuating that I'm ignorant of wildlife issues, and that the almighty Board of Game, NPS, DF&G, or other all-knowing agencies should be held in the highest reverence and left to their own devices in their decision making processes regarding the "resources" contained within our parklands. Nobody is above that measure of scrutiny Bear Hunter. The last time the American public left an elected official above the level of scrutiny, we were treated to an up-close and personal view of an idiot who claimed that he didn't even know what sex was, and I cannot EVER allow for that puny level of intellect to become the leading influence on policy that directly impacts some portion of my life, since after all, they're spending MY money, and every taxpayer should demand accountability. It's not only our right, it's our duty as citizens. If you enjoy being a sheep and following orders without question, that's your call. But don't expect or demand that others swear that same blind oath.

murder: to kill or slaughter inhumanly or barbarously.

that's what i and countless others see on the video.

this isn't a hunt. try hunting bears with spears and atlatls. that's hunting.

• Glacier National Park Is Not As Pristine As It Appears   6 years 26 weeks ago

What's your problem Gerald!? You seem to despise anyone that offers constructive criticism.

Fact, thanks for divulging more information about this some what clandestine outfit called the Board of Game and the Alaska Outdoor Council. Sounds like a group of good old boys wanting to control the whole atmosphere of hunting in Alaska...lock stock and barrel! These hunting boards are nothing but a scam. Their goal (and agenda) is to stack the board with pro gut pile hunters, and solidfy their power base to lock out the more conservation minded advocates...and screw the Alaskan Indians. The high price hunting guides (some really think there Daniel Boone) are nothing but prostitutes for the slob rich hunters that can't track, fish or shoot...unless holding hands with a smooth talking guide. To you so called weenie hunters, lets see you do your wilderness homework, and do it alone when it comes to PURE hunting without any strings attached. For the guides...get a real job!

• 4-Year-old Dies in Fall off South Rim of Grand Canyon   6 years 26 weeks ago

This is such a tragic incident, and while I do think the parents could have been watching her more carefully, accidents do happen, and in most cases they are not as fatal as this. This should remind us how lucky we are to be alive. My heart goes out to the mother and father, and the young girl whose life was tragically cut short.

Wow, arn't those hunters special! I can't believe how they outsmarted those wiley bears. What a long and ardous stalk.
    I've lived in King Salmon,Alaska all my life. These bears are completly habituated and don't fear people and dont know that we are a danger to them. There is really no place in a park or preserve for hunting. The meaning of the word prreserve implies that the animals there should be protected.
    I think congress should get on the Park Services asses and withhold funding for Katmai.

• Park Service Now Interested in Adding Christmas Mountains to Big Bend National Park   6 years 26 weeks ago

Sell it to the national forest service ------- they are more friendly toward
    public use than the national park sevice can be.

"Murdering" bears...you are funni.

• Alaska Regional Director Responds To Outrage Over Katmai Preserve Bear Hunt   6 years 27 weeks ago

Gerald, what is your Ph.D. in?

Marcia Blaszak's statement is no more than the pat agency response. They state that there are plenty of bears in Katmai Preserve. The whole of Katmai Preserve is not what is the problem. It is a small portion of the Preserve namely GMU 9C sub unit 703. This is the area of most use by all user groups. The State of Alaska bear Harvest reports show,over eight hunting seasons the average age of the bears being slaughtered here has dropped from sixteen years old to 2.8 years. This data has been presented to The Alaska Board of Game at every meeting about this area since 2000.The last two hunt age reports have not been available from the State of Alaska.( How Convenient. ) In 1999 the B.O.G. moved the bear hunting season forward from Oct.12 to Oct.1 and opened it up to any bear any age exceept a female with cubs. Does this mean that they can kill the cubs but not the female? After every hunt there are orphaned cubs. Word has it that the B.O.G. is dicussing allowing the killing of females with cubs and the cubs. Also being talked about by the B.O.G. is killing bears from airplanes.
    The Board of Game is appointed by the governor of Alaska and confirmed by the Alaska Legislation. Once appionted thier term is for 3 years and cannot be removed exceept by the Legislation. The current board is made up of all hunters most of which are members of the A.O.C. ( Alaska Outdoor Council ) Hunters. In the past there have been several non hunters on the board but were removed because they did not want to kill everything. At the 2005 Board of Game meeting in Anchorage there were seven or eight Native vellage elders testify. And the first words out of thier mouths were " We have too many hunters in our area and they have killed all of our moose and caribou."
    The Katmai National Park and Preserve is national property and belongs to ALL Americans not just Alaskans. Write your Congressman and push them to include GMU 9C 703 into the Katmai National Park. Tell All of your friends to do the same and keep it up until Congress rewites the park boundaries.

How many of you people commenting have even hunted brown bears? How many of you live in Alaska? Most brown bears this time of year do ignore you as they are more concerned with finding food. It doesnt matter if you are in Katmai reserve or the yukon river or king salmon, if you are hunting a fall bear theres a good chance he wont notice you if you walk up to him. For you people that call the hunters ruthless and savages - why dont you come walk within a couple feet of a mature brown bear and see if you dont wet yourself? How about you Bob? You say a 2 year old could make that shot? I could walk you up to 100yards away and I would probably have to pull the trigger for you. The Department of Fish and Game and the Parks Service has reasons for this hunt. It should not be questioned. They understand the wildlife issues, you dont. You should also realize that the film crews were harassing and interfering with a legal hunt, including a news station. If I was one of the guys being harassed there would multiple lawsuits going by now.

All of you antihunters need to chill...we have the right to continue these tours, the park blongs to all of us.
    Our clients derive great enjoyment from this hunt.

• Glacier National Park Is Not As Pristine As It Appears   6 years 27 weeks ago

Oh my Lord, you people can find negativity in anything!
    Ya'll are gonna die young from all this angst!!

• NPS' Washington Headquarters Supports Snowmobiles in Yellowstone   6 years 27 weeks ago

YEEEEEEAAAAA baaaaaby!!
    Here is my sled this winter!:
    What ya'll think?

I wonder if she's referring to the public process of voicing opinions sure to be ignored or the public process of game management? Sorry, I couldn't resist.......

Ms. Blaszak's final statement is telling. It reflects the National Park Service's continued economic mentality toward life. "Concern for the park and its resources. . ." By labeling such a magnificent creature as the brown bear as a "resource", the NPS diminishes a life form, considered sacred by some, to property or wealth or money owned by the superior human race, to be "managed" by an unfeeling, uncaring, self-serving bureaucracy.

Public process? More Newspeak. There is no public process here! The public has been completely shut out of the process, and the bureaucratic monster refuses to listen or to change course even in the face of such an overwhelming public outcry.

Shame on Ms. Blaszak and the National Park Service for not listening to the People and for murdering bears. Shame on you!

As a resident of New York City that does not have the benifit of wildlife (unless you consider the rats) I saw the video on You Tube and my jaw just dropped. Are you kidding me? We have a term here 'shooting fish in a barrel' which means the prey have no chance. That "hunt" remined me of that saying. When did Alaskans give up the idea of the need for sport when it comes to hunting? The reply here indicates that this is not a requirement and I am looking forward to telling my friends on the Today Show and the New York Times show about this video. TV Networks love stories like this since they, like me, are based in a place with zero nature and stories about places that abuse it are highly sought.

• 4-Year-old Dies in Fall off South Rim of Grand Canyon   6 years 27 weeks ago

Nature is beautiful,alluring and spectacular.
    And on the other side of the coin, harsh and un-compromising.
    My most heart felt condolences go out to the parents of this child after this most unfortunate event.
    This should remind us all how precious life is and how quick things can change in a moment and when in a unfamiliar places we should be extra cautious and on guard.
    Again,me and my family send our best wishes to those involved.God Bless.

Regarding Alaska Regional Director Marcia Blaszak’s comments. I find it interesting that she failed to mention the “blood money” the National Park Service receives from this trophy hunt (shoot).

Yes, the hunting guide in the video has a multi-year concessions contract to conduct this hunt in the Katmai Preserve with National Park Service and pays a portion of his guiding fees to the Park Service. So the more bears his clients kill, the more the Park Service makes. Isn’t that convenient?

Instead she wants to believe everything is fine in Katmai and redirect the agreement to surveys and data. This issue is NOT about surveys or data, it’s about human habituated bears, hunting ethics and “fair chase” or lack thereof, didn’t she see the video.

• Is the Bear "Hunt" in Katmai National Preserve Sporting or Ethical?   6 years 27 weeks ago

I am a hunter. I am not a sports-hunter. I do not enjoy killing animals, but I do enjoy eating and I very much enjoy being out in the field...so I hunt. I have lived in Alaska my whole life, and have never killed a bear, athough I would, given the right set of curcumstances. What I have a problem with, after viewing the video, is the bow hunter who simply walked (no stalking) up on the bear, who expected nothing, shot it with an arrow, which was then followed up with a rifle shot from another guy. So, the guy shot it with the arrow, why? I found it sad, that someone would do that to an animal solely for the enjoyment of sticking it with an arrow. Very sad.

I am an outdoorsman whom hunts and fishes. I do not believe this is a true "hunt" and it should be managed better. I doubt there is any shortage of bears to view there or any other part of this state. If the powers that be think a certain amout of animals need to be removed, than it should be done by professionals and not the general hunting public. Then people like Bob and the non hunting public that want to use the park do not have to see a poorly run "so called hunt". This is not hunting as it should be but rather a mislabeled bear shopping spree. True hunters prefer to spend their time and effort earning a chance at chosen species where there is some value and honor and respect at the end of a trip. I agree there should be something changed about this event.

• Yellowstone Snowmobiles: Has Apathy Arrived?   6 years 27 weeks ago

Frank, the anti Gore sentiment is already out...check FOX News! Gerald, in all due respect, but I suspect your so called Ph.D. doesn't give much insight or credence to the subject given. Give us some hard evidence to support your howlin anti environmental stance regarding the issues with the Katmai bears, and why we can tolerate more pollution in Yellowstone National Park with added snowmobiles in the park. I don't see were your logic or deductive and inductive thinking rewards you with a Ph.D...certainly your comments don't indicate this. Sorry no offense!

• Yellowstone Snowmobiles: Has Apathy Arrived?   6 years 27 weeks ago

Jeremy's right. We shouldn't point out, for example, when people use ellipses excessively and erroneously. Instead, we should focus on issues and the arguments. For instance:

The Material Safety Data Sheet for unleaded gasoline shows at least fifteen hazardous chemicals occurring in various amounts. These include benzene (up to 5% by volume), toluene (up to 35% by volume), naphthalene (up to 1% by volume), trimethylbenzene (up to 7% by volume), MTBE (up to 18% by volume) and about 10 others.

You won't find any of those chemicals coming out of Ol' Faithful, any chemicals (like sulfur) are highly localized and not carcinogenic like benzene or MTBE.

While wildlife may not care about vehicles (although I'm not sure how that could be demonstrated), vehicles and pollution (including noise pollution) affect them (and us). Vehicles and roads alter migration patterns and kill millions of animals each year. And in Homo sapiens, air pollution fatalities exceed traffic fatalities by three to one.

Finally, some people would like to "calm down and enjoy life", but that is nearly impossible when you're on snowshoes when stinky machines zoom by destroying peace and solitude of wilderness.

(PS, Al Gore won the Nobel Prize--I'm sure more peevish conservative backlash will follow.)