• New Solar Power System Puts This Park in the Forefront of Alternative Energy Use   6 years 12 weeks ago

Anonymous and/or editor:

Poor taste? Ok. I'll strike the last two sentences of my comment, and please tell me if there is any sarcasm in the rest of my comment; if you have any problems with the facts I presented, please let me know:

I'm glad Xanterra is using solar power, especially after diluting "mineral" baths with tap water at their Saratoga Springs resort.

I'm surprised to see the NPT crowd rally behind Xanterra and its new owner, Denver billionaire and supporter of conservative Christian causes, Philip Anschutz. With his net worth of $7.8 billion, he could single handedly wipe out the NPS maintenance backlog. He's also served on the board of directors of the National Petroleum Council, an American advisory committee representing oil and natural gas industry views to the Secretary of Energy. (Luckily, after external pressure, his corporation gave up plans to drill for oil near a major Native American rock art site.)

Be constructive? I did say I was glad Xanterra is using solar power, and I truly am glad. However, I do not think we should let a solar power plant blind us to the truth about its owner and his role in pressuring Congress to get what he wants.

• Yellowstone Geologist Worries About What Goes "Bump" At Night   6 years 12 weeks ago

Thanks for the clarification and the reply. I will say though, by way of criticism, that as a journalist specializing in the coverage of National Park issues you should know that is not nearly a generic term as you apparently believe; and it is quite a sensitive subject within the NPS. I am surprised you would use the title in such a fashion. Even in Yellowstone Mr. Heasler would not dare to refer to himself as such. If he is not a "Doctor" with a phD then he is no doubt perfectly comfortable in being referred to as "Mr. Heasler." We are not all "rangers" any more than we are all "physical scientists" or "lead maintenance mechanics."

Back to our regularly-scheduled article...

The Dangling Rope development in Glen Canyon National Recreation Area has been using a large solar system for power for a number of years. And it is publicly owned. While the solar field is not nearly as large as the new one at Death Valley, and the power needs not nearly as large, at the time it was installed it was considered quite ambitious. You can view it using Google Maps here.

Hank is a geophysicist by specialty with expertise in heat flow and geothermal systems.

I referred to him as "Ranger" as that's how the majority of NPS employees are generically referred to, much as you would refer to a cardiologist or an orthodontist as "Dr." than "Cardiologist Heasler."

I'm curious, what is Mr. Heasler's background? The article variously refers to him as a "Ranger" and a "geologist." Being referred to as a geologist confers the impression that he has at least a masters degree in the field, though that is not a universal use I suppose. Or is he "Dr." Heasler? Is he truly a ranger? Is he in the 0025 series? If he isn't, why would you refer to him as such? His public NPS phonebook listing lists him as a "supervisory geologist" whatever that is...

Thanks...

Frank,

Your sarcasm is in poor taste. Be constructive.

This comment was edited.

I'm so glad national park visitors are helping line the pockets of the likes of Philip Anschutz. His solar project makes up for everything.

• Planning to Visit Apostle Islands National Lakeshore? Leave Your Gun At Home   6 years 12 weeks ago

"Hope for the best" -- you mean like park visitors have been doing for years, with very few incidents where a loaded gun was needed.

The ones who need the guns are the poor rangers who are left out there to deal with the crazy visitors on a daily basis. Those are the only ones who need to be armed.

I saw these same panels a week ago, Jan. My understanding is that they are designed to track the sun throughout the daylight period. Jim pointed this out in his article.

• Climate Change: Glacier National Park's Shrinking Rivers of Ice   6 years 12 weeks ago

Global warming 'irreversible' for next 1000 years: study

Climate change is "largely irreversible" for the next 1,000 years even if carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions could be abruptly halted, according to a new study led by the US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA).

Well, I guess we don't have to worry about doing anything about it if it's irreversible for 1000 years! Say goodbye to those glaciers, but enjoy them while they last!

The study, however, is a government report, and the government has been known to be wrong about a few things (Iraq/Katrina/Vietnam/Japanese Internment/Native Americans/ETC).

I visited the solar field yesterday. All the panels face due east and are tipped to maximize summer sun. When I use a solar panel, I make sure it points due south and maximize it for winter sun. Anyone know what the thoughts were behind this set-up? I hope it wasn't an expensive mistake!!

• A Major Overhaul at Ford's Theatre National Historic Site Raises a Few Eyebrows   6 years 12 weeks ago

Bottomline is, upgrades should be done in moderation. They are supposed to make the historical sites more comfortable for people, and not to alter it's general look. I'm all for the ACs and restrooms, but not so much interest for the supposedly new "parlor" and concessions. I guess it'll destroy the historical feel of the place. It may attract a larger number of people thus creating a crowded atmosphere. Nevertheless, thanks for the great article Jim.

• The Future of the "Gateway Arch" is On the Table—Will You be Part of the Discussion?   6 years 12 weeks ago

Sabattis: de-authorization is not the same as destruction! The country has many world-class structures that are not managed and maintained by the federal government: the Empire State Building, Golden Gate Bridge, and St Patrick's Cathedral to name a few. The Arch is magnificent architecture - but there is no reason to have the NPS manage it. The Park (Jefferson National Expansion Memorial) has more staff and a bigger budget than such parks as Redwood, Acadia, Zion, and North Cascades. Does that make sense? 150 FTE positions for 91 acres in the middle of a city? The NPS would save money just paying the St. Louis Police to do law enforcement at the place. .

Mr. Danforth said the St. Louis waterfront needs " a major museum or other world-class attraction designed by an internationally acclaimed architect."
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Arch fulfill that criteria?

Whenever the Gateway Arch is mentioned on Traveler, I'm always disheartened when comments come out advocating its delisting. To me, the Gateway Arch is one of America's most-precious landmarks and is one of the crown jewels of the National Park System, along with the National Mall, the Statue of Liberty, and Mt. Rushmore. The Arch is simply a beautiful triumph of human achievement, and my heart always soars on cross-country trips when I first see that arch soaring above the St. Louis skyline.

With that being said, I think there is a need for additional visitor services in the overall Park. There's definitely a need for additional food/drink options in the area, and I could definitely see a role for additional museum space, a performing arts venue (perhaps outdoor?), or other visitor services. Hopefully there would be a way to expand the offering of what's available here without unduly impacting the Park's role as a Park, or the overall majesty of the views of the Arch from around the area.

The Arch is beautiful. I grew up near it. I've gone back to it since I've left. I walk in the open spaces beneath it. It is a monument, not an amusement park. It is a feat of engineering. It is a marvel. The grounds are open and beautiful, and invite peace and enjoyment.

• Freeze On New Regs Could Impact Efforts to Expand Mountain Biking in National Parks   6 years 12 weeks ago

We've come full circle. :) What the administration does with this proposed rule will tell a lot about what groups it listens to the most. If I had to bet, I'd guess that the rule will be a bit more restrictive to cater to the liberal side of the party (Sierra Club, etc.) while still leaving some elements intacts to please the others.

• Great Basin National Park: It's More Than Simply A Cave   6 years 12 weeks ago

This park has a really nice variety of things to see and do - it's worth the drive to get there!

I think that's correct. Schneider's point is a narrow one: the freeze itself isn't going to block the regulation, but the fact that a new administration will be evaluating the comments and writing the final rule, if there is to be one, could stop any change in NPS policy on mountain bike access.

As I understand things, while the bike rule is not directly affected by the freeze placed on new rules and regs, the NPS isn't obligated to place it into effect once the comment period runs its course, so it could wind up facing the same outcome as rules that are directly affected by the freeze and which the new administration finds serve no good purpose.

And let's not forget, administrations don't always pay much attention to what the public does, or doesn't, want. Remember the Yellowstone snowmobile saga? During its public comment period(s), public comment overwhelmingly favored a phase-out of the machines, and yet the Bush administration turned a deaf ear.

• Secretary Salazar on Guns in Parks: He'll "Take A Look At It"   6 years 12 weeks ago

Well, to be accurate, the guns rule wasn't in the freeze mix anyway, as it already had been placed into effect before President Obama was sworn in. That said, it's still the subject of two lawsuits.

Just in: Bill Schneider reports in New West that neither the guns-in-parks rule or the mountain bikes-in-parks rule is being affected by the freeze on implementing the previous administration's regulations:

Schneider, by the way, is an astute commentator on controversial issues like these and one of the few truly neutral voices of reason out there. Reading his various reports and discussions on the New West website will prove valuable.

If the landscaping needs shoring up, then do so. But no business establishments on the park grounds. Should be the same for all these smallish urban sites. Develop outside the park. I'm sure there's plenty of run-down areas ready for that. Of course, that means they'd have to buy the land from the owners, instead of using eminent domain or something to take it from the NPS.

Someone refresh my memory, it's been so long since I've been there. Isn't there a historic district nearby?

==========================================

My travels through the National Park System: americaincontext.com

• It's Not Too Early To Start Planning This Summer's National Park Vacation   6 years 12 weeks ago

If memory serves me right, both the Old Faithful Snow Lodge in Yellowstone and the Wuksachi Lodge in Sequoia opened in 1999. Can't think of any more recent abodes.