• Paw Print Another Sign That Wolves Might Be Returning to Rocky Mountain National Park   6 years 36 weeks ago

We reintroduced the wolves so it is our responsibility to manage them in balance with other points of view.

• A Winter Visit to Grand Canyon National Park's Phantom Ranch   6 years 36 weeks ago

Hi Carol,

It's great to see you contributing to the commentary on National Parks Traveler. To answer your question, yes I met several women on the trail who were in our age bracket. No one in the women's dorm at Phantom Ranch complained of snoring either.

Owen

Owen Hoffman
    Oak Ridge, TN 37830

• Great Basin National Park's Air Could Be Compromised By Proposed Power Plant   6 years 36 weeks ago

I see lots of NIMBY here. That stands for "Not In My Back Yard."

Having said the above, I too am concerned about air pollution near our National Parks. Too often traveling out West have I rounded a curve and there faced a huge coal-fired power plant. Coal-fired plants don't have to be dirty. I've seen a number of them where the stack gas is as clear as that of a gas-fired plant. The utility just has to want to do it. There has to be an economic incentive -- either mandated by the regulators or by the public at large -- to ensure that the coal-fired effluent will be relatively clean.

Now about the suggestion concerning solar power -- gimme a break. Solar - even on a good day - produces very small amounts of DC power (like your AA batteries). Let me see you use DC to run a factory, a hospital, a hotel, or your home. Get real. Solar has some applications; that's true, but providing large quantities of AC power is not one of them.

Well then, what about wind power? All those wind farms you see in Kansas are there due to tax credits and fast write off depreciation. If wind power had to stand on its own economically it would be a flop.

Folks, I hate to be the one to tell you, but today the best and lowest cost way to produce electric power is either a steam boiler/turbine/generator or a gas turbine/generator (jet engine), or a combination of a steam turbine and gas turbine. Note that the steam boiler can be heated with gas, oil, coal, wood waste, garbage, or nuclear.

Owen - Andre and I are very impressed with your accomplishment. I am not sure which was harder - the trek up and down or the stay at Phantom Ranch. It doesn't sound like many women do this circuit. Did you encounter any my age?
    Best wishes,
    Carol

• Considering a Hike up Half Dome?   6 years 36 weeks ago

The argument that people might die on Half Dome so it shouldn't be so accessible is as illogical as saying that people might die in a car crash while driving Tioga Road so it shouldn't be open. Of course someone could die on Half Dome. Or on the highways. Or at Glacier Point. There is reasonable risk for great reward in Yosemite. The careless fool who climbs over the guard-rail, splashes in the water, and washes to his death over the falls shouldn't be a reason that the rest of us to miss the spectacles that this park offers, including the Half Dome ascent. Check the stats; most of the Half Dome deaths have occurred when the cables are down for the season and the Park Service recommends NOT making the climbg.

• Entrance Fee Repeal Legislation Would Have Little Impact on National Parks   6 years 36 weeks ago

Sounds like the Park Service got another sweet deal on the back of our national forests.

According to S-2438, National Parks can charge and everyone else can not.

Trust me, entrance fees collected at the National Parks will never help cover any Forest Service or BLM expenses. Plus any money collected by Forest Service or BLM *must be* sent to the Treasury for the Congress to use as they so wish.

Yes, I used two hiking poles (that I purchased in Glacier National Park almost ten years ago). Both the Bright Angel and the South Kaibab trails show signs of recent trail mainentance, so they were not as rocky or eroded as I remembered from previous trips. I recall that in 1969 there used to be two parallel ruts and a central ridge in the South Kaibab trail. Those are now gone. The trail has become more narrow, and thousands of log water breaks have been installed which, as I've said in the article above, makes downhill hiking somewhat difficult for younger and older knees.

I totally agree with you about the heat and hazards encountered when hiking up the South Kaibab Trail during the daytime hours of the summer months. During my two summer-time hikes to Phantom Ranch in 1969, I opted to hike down and back by night, resting in the shade of the inner canyon by day.

My two hikes to Phantom Ranch in 1987 were made in late fall. Those hikes were taken during the day, and were absolutely delightful. I highly recommend hiking these trails in late fall or winter, taking the slowest pace possible to enjoy the magnificent canyon scenery, which changes dramatically with each step. In my opinion, it is impossible to walk too slowly when walking into and out of the Grand Canyon.

Other than noticing the effects of advanced age and the renovated conditions of the two trails, the only other major difference I noted from past hikes was the absence of geological interpretive signs. I recall these interpretive signs from all of my past hikes into the canyon. They were quite effective in explaining the significance of the various rock formations encountered on this walk through time. I have no idea why they have now been removed from their trailside locations. I missed seeing them.

I also don't recall the squirrels at Indian Gardens having been so unusually large. They were the biggest squirrels I've ever seen in my life. Perhaps they have grown accustomed to daily access to an enhanced caloric diet composed of the remains of Phantom Ranch sack lunches? Or, perhaps these animals are simply storing a few extra pounds to survive a long, cold winter? Indian Gardens is an excellent place to stop and rest for lunch when hiking up from the bottom of the canyon.

We were in our shirt-sleeves when hiking up from Phantom Ranch to Indian Gardens. However, temperatures cooled rapidly when entering the shade of the upper portions of the Bright Angel trail, which required putting on extra clothing despite the natural warmth of hiking uphill. Ice on the trail was encountered during the final mile and a half.

Owen Hoffman
    Oak Ridge, TN 37830

• Fall Into Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone Kills California Woman   6 years 36 weeks ago

I scan all the news on Yellowstone daily, usually 2-3 times a day, and I haven't seen a bit of news about this since it happened. Almost anything is possible; people really can accidentally plunge to their deaths from that location, one could commit suicide, or one could commit homicide. No matter what, it's certainly tragic, and as far as has been reported, still a mystery.

Did you use hiking poles? They are motivators on the uphills (plant them alternatively in front of you and walk up to and past them) and knee-savers on the downhills. They also are help on rough, rocky or eroded trails -- like both Bright Angel and South Kaibab, which have such steady mule train traffic.

IMO, South Kaibab might be a good hike-out option in winter, but I think for most people, it would be lethal in summer. It's exposed and broils in the sun, and unlike Bright Angel, there's noplace to get water en route. You'd have to carry a lot of water just to return to the rim w/out becoming totally dehydrated.

Claire @ http://travel-babel.blogspot.com

• Association of National Park Rangers Opposes Change in Park Gun Regulations   6 years 36 weeks ago

i agree,people with the proper permits are a very small amount of the problem, illegal arms are....... this law seems to prevent me from visiting all our national forest and parks, this is another way to chip away at the 2nd amendment, how many shoot outs have you heard of in a national park....... i think the present laws are just fine....

How come we can't know the name of the "panic ridden" man who was with her? Who is this person who wrote this last comment. Why does everyone know Charlotte's name but not his? Somebody knows something. How about starting with Van Susteren or pictures of her with friends from myspace.

One of the really pleasant surprises of this trip was encountering NPS park interpreter Stewart Fritts while he was conducting a guided walk along the rim at the Grand Canyon Village. His walk focused on the historic architectual accomplishments of Mary Elizabeth Jane Colter. Mr. Fritts is among the most knowledgeable persons alive from which to learn about the natural and cultural history of the park. He's worked at the Grand Canyon for 26 years.

I previously had attended his award-winning evening presentation on "William Shakespear and the Grand Canyon," 20 years ago. It was truly outstanding then, and it is still given today, according to NPS brochures. He dedicates this presentation to the beauty of the canyon and the importance of literacy in America.

Owen Hoffman
    Oak Ridge, TN 37830

• Crater Lake, On Average, Is Deepest Lake in North America   6 years 36 weeks ago

Just to provide an update about my ongoing research on the deepest lakes of the world:

Crater Lake is the deepest, when compared on the basis of average depth among lakes whose basins are entirely above sea level. The average depths of Lakes Baikal and Tanganyika are deeper than Crater Lake; however, both have basins that extend below sea level.

Owen Hoffman
    Oak Ridge, TN 37830

• NPCA Asks Secretary Kempthorne Not To Change Gun Regs in National Parks   6 years 36 weeks ago

Mr. Miller, While I actually agree with your criticism of the above statements, I find it strange that you should feel the need to be defended all the time. It seems inconsistent to me that someone who is the risk taking, self sufficient type of personality who would travel in the wilderness would feel so much at jeopardy. While I certainly understand your need to be able to protect your wife, would you actually shoot someone for taking your wallet?Personally, I think that there are 2 types of people I don't care to run into while in the parks. #1, muggers, and #2, someone who would be willing to kill
    to protect a couple of bucks and some credit cards. This gets to the heart of the issue for most of the public. Most of the park- going public does not want stressed out people running around the national parks with pistols tucked into their waistband. You may argue that there are criminals everywhere, but I would say you are more likely to suffer any dozens of calamities wanderin' around in the woods far more likely than having your wife attacked right in front of you. So, breathe deep and relax a little, after all, that's what the parks' are really here for.

• Park History: Acadia National Park   6 years 36 weeks ago

I have been going to Acadia every June for the past 15 years. Some people think I would grow bored of it, but I enjoy it more and more with each year. I couldn't imagine NOT going.

Once again we hear lots of good arguments about preventing poaching. We're missing the point here. How does this discussion keep me safe when I'm hiking in the wilderness? I only want to defend myself from a person who might try to steal my wallet or assault my wife. I'm a "good guy". I obey the laws, including hunting laws. If there was airtight security in the wilderness like there is at the airports, this firearm restriction would have some merit. But until you can prove your ability to defend me at all times, I'll defend myself; thank you very much.

Schools are not federal property as are national parks. Citizens should be able to carry weapons in national parks, and those who use weapons cavalierly in national parks (for target practice or poaching) should be punished. But the Second Amendment, which seems to protect individual rights to carry arms, should not be ignored. Those who think that the Second Amendment protects only the rights of a militia to carry arms overlook the fact that the surrounding amendments protect individual rights, not group rights. The amendment also mentions the "people" as do those protecting individual rights. Would anyone argue that First Amendment's protection of the "right of the people to peaceably assemble" is a group right rather than an individual right?

Also consider the Founders' and their contemporaries' views towards arms:

"The great object is, that every man be armed." - Patrick Henry

"...who are the militia, if they be not the people of this country...? I ask, who are the militia? They consist of now of the whole people, except a few public officers." - George Mason

"They [proposed first ten amendments] relate 1st. to private rights. . . . the great object in view is to limit and qualify the powers of government . . ." - James Madison

If our society has changed and outgrown the need for the Second Amendment, we should change it, not ignore it.

Perhaps then, we should allow people to arm themselves in a school building...after all, you can have guns out on the road in front of the school and there have been rapists who turned out to be teachers, and doesn't the 2nd Amendment state that we can carry weapons? There's a chance of crimanals carrying guns in our schools, so shouldn't we be allowed to protect ourselves from that possibility?

Why should the government place reasonable restrictions on me to protect other people?!

• Do Professional Hockey And Yosemite National Park Belong Together?   6 years 36 weeks ago

For those of you who actually care. The kids loved having the team up here to play. These are kids that make the choice of either going to a very small school (30 students Kinder. to 8th grade) where they don't have the same opportunities offered to them that most kids get in larger communities or being gone for school from before 6AM until around 5PM and still going to at least a small school (in the winter it's dark when they leave for school and dark by the time they get home from school).

The team being up here had less impact on the environment than your average everyday tourist, they didn't go tramping through the meadows that we are trying to restore just so they could build their cute little snowman, they didn't leave their trash all over the ground, they didn't try to pet the newborn deer (making it's mother reject it). No, instead they made a lot of little kids, who really don't get the opportunity to see a real hockey team everyday, very happy. So what if it was a stupid media thing, the kids had fun, the kids are our future they are what matters (these are kids who are growing up GREEN unlike most of the 'outside world').

And for those of you who don't like the tourism (which I'm right there with you even though it pays my paycheck)...It's just one of those unfortunate things in life, while the tourists may be 'loving the park to death' they are also what keeps it alive, for without the money they bring in there won't be money for National Parks at all.

BTW was anyone able to see it on TV?

I don't see the strength of the argument. It's the same story of banning the law abiding citizens while ignoring the fact that the bad guys (criminals, poachers etc) will be armed with or without the ban. If you have passed all the checks and are deemed to be a responsible adult then it shouldn't make a difference when you walk from state woods onto the NPS woods. Either you can affect an outcome in a life or death situation or you trust to the whims of the predator that your facing.

that is true, also what do they mean by negligent discharge, any law abiding citizen who has a legal ccw or cancealed carry firearms permit is not going to just be letting off rounds in the park for no reason if any citizen with a legal ccw is discharging there firearm its because of a rabid wild animal or bear or mountin lion which are EVERY where!! we all have a right to protect our selves from 2 legged AND four legged creatures, for crying out loud people are even getting killed by animal IN FRIGGIN ZOO'S!!!

First of all, I want to say this might seem like I am picking on Lone Hiker but this is directed to all people who mix in a lot of emotion with a small amount of facts when they post an article. We all have our own ideas about how things should be and that is right and good but you better know what you are talking about and the finer details involved. Unless you know how the utlilities operate internally and how the U.S. electrical grid is operated, you really shouldn't make assumptions to motives and reasoning. Get the knowledge and understanding first, then suggest REASONABLE changes that fit the context of what you are discussing. That's just better for everyone.

Apparently you (Lone Hiker) do not understand what immediately means. Of course there is potential for a balanced renewable portfolio in the future but right now all of the references you made are not mass produced enough to provide any stable baseload generation. Solar is a great idea in states like Nevada, Arizona, etc. but no one is producing enough right now to make a dent in the demand requirements. Furthermore, it appears you make conclusions based on your emotions about this topic. I am thankful you are not a legislator. You can whine and complain about money grubbing capitalists but guess what, you live in a capitalist country.

I have inserted practical, realistic responses to your rantings below.

Regulators no longer permit coal plants to be built.

RE: The regulators are appointed by the government and as such the people elect the state government. Like it or not, that is how this country works.

Tell that to the people in east-central Illinois, who were just awarded a $1.5 billion dollar "new generation" generating plant which is coal fired. The energy companies haven't abandoned the fossil fuel sources, much to the disdain of many of the population. All they know is profiteering, not conservation (which they ignore due to it's negative impact on their ledger sheets and therby their stock ratings) or environmentally friendly energy sources (which their "data" continually discount as impractical, again due to the negative dollar flow), which leaves the people of this nation little option but to take the bull by the horns and fight for our individual energy indepencence. Funny how we have to jostle with our internal suppliers (and our "concerned" government) and not the foreign sources of our own pollution.

RE: Apparently you believe that corporations are evil and only have concern for the bottom line. That may be true but in my experience dealing with electric utilities, they have a conservative approach to adapting new technologies until it has proven itself. That's why many renewable projects currently coming online are a private venture and are benefitting from government grants and subsidies (though most are very small). The investor owned utilities are accountable not only to the shareholders but also to a commission that controls how they set their rates. They have to be frugal or the commissions will often come down on them hard by either not allowing a rate increase or imposing penalties upon them which in turn will hurt the investor. These commissions actually limit the amount of profit the utility can make and that is why utility stocks have often been referred to as your "widow stocks" because they are pretty much guarantee you a stable but low rate of return (low risk - low reward). IOU's (Investor Owned Utilities) have to be conservative or they go out of business. Like it or not, that is how it works. However, as stated before, many (not all) still go ahead and contribute a great deal to universities and research firms to develop technology that can either improve current generation or develop newer cleaner sources of generation. Our generation (Baby Boomers through Gen Yers) has an "I want it now, I don't care how much it costs" attitude that really goes against the way we became a great country...by saving rather than going into debt. We have to be patient but insistent as infrastructure (a proper transmission grid to transfer this new power all over the U.S. and Canada) takes time to build. Research the industrial revolution if you want to see the effects that moving too fast can have on the people of a nation and the world at large.

what do you do when the sun doesn't shine? Same for wind, what do you do when the wind isn't blowing?

Sun not shining in this region? Oh brother......
    Locally, the percentage of available solar radiation received is approximately 85% of total availability, which ranks among the highest in the nation, as in top 2% of the national average. Due to the advent of technologically superior storage cells, any locality achieving a ranking above 60% is highly viable for utilizing solar panels exclusively as an energy source. Few parts of the nation, excluding the Pacific Northwest and the area surrounding Mount Washington qualify as "poor" candidates for solar inclusion, at the very least as a supplemental source to the power grid.
    As far as the wind not blowing you have a slightly improved arguement. If one investigates historical meteorlogical data on average wind speeds, you'll find these data to compliment the solar generation "soft spots" quite nicely, since the windspeeds tend toward increasing in frontal boundry zones, which also happen to be areas of storm generation and therefore, politely stated, not as sunny as the desert regions. In these areas the percentages are easily reversed from mainly solar to wind generation units, with solar as the supplement. This is quite a potent combination of power generation resources for use by our nation. But power company propaganda has instilled fear into the American consumer, and as the saying goes, "People are always afraid of whats different". It is this fear of change that energy companies use to keep the consumer "in line". Case in point.......how long did the Bell System litigate against integration of other phone networks, claiming that if allowed the consumer service levels would be negatively impacted? What a load of crap that was.
    But overall, the instillling a fear technique works like a charm, doesn't it?

RE:
    All of your info is fine and dandy, but the transmission grid is not set up that way currently. If you have worked for or have been involved with the operations of a transmission grid, you would understand that. Sure, the sun may shine most of the time but currently there is no one who manufactures battery banks large enough and cheaply enough that would keep it even feasible to implement a solar baseload system. Once again, infrastructure and investment become the issue. Products have to be produced...they don't just fall out of the air. So to recap, no products available to make your suggestion a reality and if you skipped the batteries, the power would not be available and even then how would you get it where it needs to go. Just like water, we have plenty of it in my city, but I can't help the guy in Africa who has none available to him simply by wishing it to him. You need the "pipes" to get it there. The last time I checked, most people depend on electricity to function nowadays and rolling blackouts would not be a welcomed option if you remember when California had them. You are talking about culture change and you can slander all the businesses you want but that won't change the culture. People have to make a choice on an individual level and then band together financially to demand that change. These are the things the media usually doesn't bother to mention and I am not sure why. By the way, maybe you should research the Bell claims you made and what really happened behind the scenes a little better. The government had to hold a lot of emergency sessions to make sure things became balanced in the long run. It actually did run Bell out of business and many people lost jobs on all fronts after that integration took place. Talk to the technicians on both sides who had to work with the integration..they will tell you that many times the system could not handle it and it was a nightmare for them to eventually get it to work. Besides, the phone system had a release as cell phones were becoming popular and offered another source for people. What would be your source for power if the electric grid shut down? It is not currently designed to operate just on a local level. I was not designed that way and would really decrease dependability to the point where more business would move overseas for the dependable power.

many/most utilities offer a program where your increased rate pays for renewable energy.
    I find this statment of fact to be the most telling statement of all. The energy suppliers are ready, willing and able RIGHT NOW to grant us our wish, provided that WE foot the bill. That speaks volumes about many topics...
    a) the technology for delivery of alternate sources is not only available, but in place
    RE: Really? That is a flat out lie. Why don't you go to MISO or any of the other government dispatching utilities and tell them that and see what your response from them is. There are some small units in place but most are owned by private companies or investor groups and they don't add enough generation to even account for it in the load forecasting. Even without adding any new generation anywhere, the lines are running right at the minimum reserve capacity much of the time in many places across the country. Call it instilling fear or whatever you want... it is what it is. We need more transmission capacity and anyone who runs a system will tell you that...even if they don't own the generation source.
    b) it is proven to be reliable, since they wouldn't dare compromise their networks with "experimental" sources
    RE: If it were proven so reliable and cost-effective, they utilities would be all over it because they are responsible to the shareholders and would love to cut costs and increase their potential revenue stream. With the potential shortage in available reserve capacity, the utilities would love to be the ones providing the service and again increasing their revenue stream.
    c) they basically refuse to change, though they readily could
    RE: What are you talking about? Utilities have been investing in wind projects so fast that the wind material manufacturers are barely keeping up and building new plants all over the place. Take a look at Florida Power and Light and see how many large wind projects they have put up in the last 4 years...it's quite impressive.
    d) the whores are running the bordello, since the only issue we're haggling about is price for services rendered
    RE: I think I covered this kind of comment/assumption in my introduction.
    e) IT'S TIME FOR MASSIVE CHANGE
    RE: No kidding. China and India are gobbling up resources and that has sent the price of all the electric materials through the roof in the last 4 years. It's very expensive to do any electrical construction. China has coal plants that their own regulatory commission has admitted to not even knowing about that are in service. They also have next to zero emission regulations. Are we going to set the example by making sure we use the cleanest and best available technologies. I hope so!

All of our national energy generators, from Big Oil to utilities believe they have the American consumer bent over the table. And NOTHING will be changed until we, in unison demand it. The REAL power within this economy lies with the consumer, since nothing can be traded that there is no market to support. But as long as we permit, or encouage there behavior and support them with our habits, expect nothing from them and you won't be disappointed.

RE: Once again, you resort to name calling. Are you a kid on a playground and is this a way to make you feel better about yourself? You throw in random personal attacks with partial truths...if I remember my Media class from high school I believe that is the definition of "propaganda".
    Sure the utilities offer this program, but investment is made after the program is supported, not before. Utilities have to perform load studies to see where access to the grid would be viable and useful. And to be completely honest, interest has not been high enough to invest the hundreds of millions it would take to build the large scale farms we think of. You can't just add a wind tower here and there and a solar panel here and there and hope it fits into the local grid nicely. In fact, most of the small wind farms or towers that have been installed by the utilities aren't even accounted for in the load forecasting that utilities use to determine how much spinning capacity they need.

By the way.......are you aware that a replacement source for your natural gas usage lies within your compost piles? Imagine that, totally FREE gas and electricity, right there for the taking.
    RE: Once again, you offer hope but can deliver none. Sure, it would be a solution for a small rural town with lots of animal agriculture. What do you do for the large citys? I agree that it is a good idea with a future potential, but it is only one part of a balanced energy portfolio.

I'll be happy to elaborate for anyone who has a serious interest.

RE:
    I would just like to say I grew up as an environmentalist and I love to be outside enjoying God's creation in all its splendor. I would no longer call myself an enviromentalist as I believe people and the peoples' welfare come first. However, that falls right in line since the quality of air and damage we may do to the planet may cause a lot of problems for my children and future generations, we have to try to leave as small a mark as possible while we are here. What we can't do is just shut everything down to make this happen. We have to insist to our legislators to grant tax breaks and continue to enforce legislation that is already present to make sure companies start/continue to be responsible environmentally. On a side note, anyone who thinks they are being so green by buying a Prius is being lied to. The plant that produces the batteries for the Prius is in the middle of litigation because they have been dumping toxins into their local waterways which has killed much of the local animal life and such. You can buy a Honda Civic that is not a hybrid that gets near the same mileage for a lot less and get the increased dependability as well. Feel free to do the research yourself as I have spent too much time on this topic already.

• Climate Change and the National Parks   6 years 36 weeks ago

I wouldn't worry too much about the giant sequoias. They predate the dinosaurs and have lasted for 70 million years. In fact, more types of sequoias flourished when the world was hotter. As climate changed over the millenia and the earth became cooler and drier, their range became much more limited. The 2,000 year old trees still living today have borne the ups and downs of the days when Greenland was warm enough for wine growing and the little Ice Age.

• NPS Retirees Oppose Carrying Guns in National Parks   6 years 36 weeks ago

Good point Kurt. That is exactly what conservatives (when we actually had 2 parties instead of the hodgepodge we have now) have been saying for years. Leave such laws to the state and not the federal government. This then lends to the point of the proposed law change. Let the individual state (who knows their citizens better than the fed) determine how their laws are legislated and enforced.

Further, let's get the states out of the city government's business and let's get the city out of the community's business. The fact that we keep having all these national organizations (National association of park rangers) saying they don’t want us to carry in their parks just further lends to the national control government usurps on its constituents. It’s not the park ranger’s park; it’s the individual citizen’s park.

It is my beleif that the Second Amendant givies everyone the right to Self defence. It follows that everyone that is every person has the constitutional right to Arm themselves for self defense agaist any enemy, be they human or not. If a person citizen does not have the right to self defense niether does the State or nation or the people emloyed by said nation and or state.