• Segways in the National Parks: Do We Really Need Them?   6 years 29 weeks ago

"It seems that you'd have to watch the trail constantly rather than lifting your head and eyes to view the sights around you on a bike trail. No?"

No. Why don't you try it before forming an opinion? Do you constantly watch the ground when riding a bike?

"What's the point of it?"

It is fun, inexpensive to operate, consumes no fossil fuel, produces no fumes, is quieter and safer than a bicycle, and requires no maintenance. Why not?

• Groups Sue To Overturn Removal of Greater Yellowstone Wolves from Endangered Species List   6 years 29 weeks ago

It is perfectly legal to kill wolves that leave the park and threaten livestock. After all, all you environuts were warned that this would happen, and now you're cryin...and you're probably eatin' a fat juicy steak while you're cryin.

• Is the Bear "Hunt" in Katmai National Preserve Sporting or Ethical?   6 years 29 weeks ago

Well what is done cannot be undone, SO they should make the permit to get one of these bears cost 50,000.00 for each bear, and require special training, which will cost more money, and also make the Hunter the one that has to clean the bear and get the carcass off and everything else, no help from guides or others all a one man shoot,clean,carry,all meat no leftovers... then we will see how many of these people from the lower 48 will come to steal away our alaska's wildlife.

They could take the 50 or 60k per hunt and give tha money to the study and preservation of the local area.

I mean if they are gonna hunt them at least make them Pay for it. All the advice I as a 3rd generation alaskan can give.

• Congressman Calls for Full EIS of Proposal to Allow Concealed Carry in America's National Parks   6 years 29 weeks ago

Mr. Grijalava is a proud former member of La MEChA and an open borders advocate. Given the dangers that exist along the Arizona Border including this congressman’s 7th district I feel it is safe to assert that law abiding citizens would be crazy not to be armed in the back country there. While I respect Mr. Grijalavas support for the environment I find his reluctance to disassociate himself from a group that wants to take over the Southwest United States for Mexico dismaying. He is a poor choice for a spokesperson on this issue.
    In 2003 the Arizona Republic ran a story 'It's the Wild West every night' along border "By Judd Slivka. I don't think much has changed since then with this weeks bloody border machinegun cartel shoot out.

"geared toward pacification of special interests"

I don't see defending civil rights and the Bill of Rights as a "special interest". Do the members of this site refer to the outcry at the NPS's proposed ban on assembly on the National Mall a "special interest"? Is the First Amendment--and its guarantees of freedom of the press and assembly--a special interest?

Are the protections in the First Amendment individual rights? Absolutely. Those who argue that "the People" in the First Amendment and "the People" mentioned in the Second Amendement are somehow different use a twisted form of logic to defend their special interest, namely the erosion of civil rights and the support of a more totalitarian state.

Good point. Places like you mention are no places for guns. None needed. They all have metal detectors and security guards. The backcounrty I'm talking about does NOT. My point is that if you aren't taking EVERYONE'S gun, don't try to take MINE.

Pro-gun advocates commenting on this issue seem to forget what national parks are. They are not all Yosemite. They include Independence Hall, the Liberty Bell, Ellis Island, the home of Frederick Douglas, the Washington Monument, Lincoln's home, and similar sites. Do you really want people carrying guns into Ellis Island or Independence Hall? Would the NPS have to start supplying gun lockers at the Statue of Liberty so they can store guns for visitors while inside? Really, this is absurd. Parks are about the safest place you can go. You don't need a gun unless you are in a park with legal hunting. Logistically, this would be a confusing and expensive nightmare.

I'm not sure I would use the term "backbone". A recent survey showed that 73% of the American people think the right to bear arms is an INDIVIDUAL right. To deny me my God-given right to defend myself is not "showing backbone" It is criminal and immoral.

"Election-year pandering"? When is the Congressman up for re-election? Sounds like he's trying to get his name in the news if you ask me.

"Common-sense regulations"? What sense does it make to leave your firearm in the trunk of your car while you hike in the backcountry? Here's a link to an article that appeared The Colorado Springs Gazette: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4191/is_20031009/ai_n10028946

I quote, "Absurdly and inexplicably, the carrying of firearms is banned in all but a very few U.S. national parks, though visitors to these largely peaceful and bucolic places are not magically insulated from either criminals or potentially dangerous carnivores."

And this, "Crime does not take a holiday in national parks, either. On the contrary, reports suggest public lands are becoming havens for drug cartels and other criminal enterprises. The dangers facing park rangers and others who patrol public lands reportedly are rising. Thousands of serious crimes occur in national parks annually, including murders, rapes and assaults. And some national parks and forests reportedly now double as pot plantations and meth labs - not only due to their relative remoteness, but perhaps because the criminal element feels it can operate there with confidence they won't likely encounter anyone armed for self-defense."

As for the Environmental Impact Study, besides being grossly expensive, it is absolutely unnecessary. Kurt has already provided us the information we need to post any comments about this issue we have. I posted my comments yesterday. I spent more than an hour composing them but it only took a few minutes to post them. The comment period is open until June 30. ANYONE can post any comments they like. An EIS is a total waste of the taxpayer's money when they already can say whatever they want at no additional government expense.

Got to speak out for my gang back in DC. Please stop confusing the politicians with the people of the city; they already don't have any representation from those bozos (whatever way the saw cuts). There are almost 600,000 people in the city, many of them who have plenty of backbone but no say on this or any other issue (and then have to suffer the further indignity of having their very identity as residents of the District of Columbia confused with the politicians who serve as rulers of the colony).

Taxation without representation,

Thank God someone in DC has some sort of backbone.

Well said Kurt. I'm composing a slightly more intelligent response now. I'll post it later.

I don't believe my eyes. A member the ruling elite openingly identifying this pitiful maneuver of legistlative pandering as nothing short of electioneering geared toward pacification of special interests? From a Western state no less. And a LIBERAL to boot! What's this world coming to.......his term must not be up anytime soon!
    Well done Raul. Let me know if you need any help stuffing the election box when your time comes around. I'll show you how to retain your seat without the lobbyist money.
    Vote early and often is the mantra in my State. It's worked for local Dems here for decades........why not share the wealth?

That saw cuts at least two ways, Fred;-)

• National Parks Traveler Launches User Forums   6 years 29 weeks ago

Joe--

I was impressed by the many Australian rangers whom I met at the International Ranger Federation's World Ranger Congress held in Wilsons Promontory NP in Victoria, Austrailia. They seemed to have their heads screwed on right. It was an impressive group. You made a good choice.

BTW, while visiting neighboring New Zealand on the same trip, I went to a national park that I had to add to my list of favorite national parks, Fjordlands NP on the South Island. It contains awesomely beautiful scenery.

Rick

• National Parks Traveler Launches User Forums   6 years 29 weeks ago

Rick

Queensland Parks and Wildlife, Queensland Australia. Well trained hands on park rangers who regularly sleep in the bush on a swag (aussie for bedroll) to perform a multitude of National Park duties from feral animal control, native species inventory, beach protection, trail construction, fire management, weed control and more. The best and most knowledgeable staff I have ever had the pleasure of working with.

Joe

• Nevada Barr’s Next Park Novel: An Unauthorized Preview   6 years 29 weeks ago

Since you're an experienced Nevada Barr reader, Debbie, maybe you could provide some advice for newcomers. Would you recommend that a newbie read the 14 books featuring ranger Anna Pigeon in chronological order, from first to last, or would it be OK for her/him to start with the most recent one (Winter Study) or perhaps any book in the series? I have my own ideas about that, but I'm curious what other Nevada Barr fans think.

• Interior Officials Want to Allow Concealed Carry in the National Parks   6 years 29 weeks ago

For those who argue that people who hold a permit for concealed carry are "well-trained in the use of a gun," check this article out:

I'd hate to meet any of those folks carrying a gun in the Everglades!

• Nevada Barr’s Next Park Novel: An Unauthorized Preview   6 years 29 weeks ago

Thank you for this article. Love the Nevada Barr novels I have read and look forward to finding others. We listen to books on CD driving into the night to get to our vacation destination (usually a NP). No better company than Anna Pigeon when driving into the night! We really enjoy the insight she gives into the inner workings of the park system that the average tourist never sees. Whether reading or listening to the CD, she is a great entertaining author, she provides a great character and beautifully intriguing settings!

RonC
    I love ONP also.
    I see bear (up close even) about every backpack.
    Try the east side tree line meadows late summer during blueberry time.
    Could be early fall this year (?)
    I'll be out there for sure!

IMHO carrying a weapon for fear of bear and other critters,
    into Our National Parks in the lower 48 is just silly.
    HYOH!

Bob, you seem to be an ethical hunter and I am so glad there are a few of you left out there ! Wish I could share a beer with you ! Hopefully before we kill most of the great predators AGAIN, mankind will wake up and appreciate what makes our great wilderness and wildlife so very special and precious.

The point has been made that a gun probably won't protect me from a bear. I don't carry because of the bears. I carry for the same reason John Steadham carries: to protect myself and my loved ones. My primary concern is to encounter a snake, either the kind that slither, or the kind on two legs.

One carries a gun in a park for the same reason one carries it anywhere else . To protect yourself and loved ones. not just to kill something.......DUH

• Senators' Letter to Open National Parks to Concealed Weapons   6 years 29 weeks ago

My wife and I have camped at Acadia National Park in Maine, 12 of the past 15 years. We have never encountered a "derelict" nor any other campers strolling about, packing their weapons. Both facts make us feel happy and secure. Packing a weapon is a sign of insecurity. Think about it.