• Is the Bear "Hunt" in Katmai National Preserve Sporting or Ethical?   6 years 41 weeks ago

How can those hunters possibly say that the bear hunting in the Katmai is fair? I was there this past summer, and saw for myself how close the bears came and how comfortable they were with humans. Now the guides, of course, are out for the money....but the hunters? What a joke...These areas need to be preserved, and the hunts better controlled and way more limited to make it fair and a real sport, not a free-for-all slaughter. Shame on all those who have a Katmai bear hanging on their wall!

• NPS' Washington Headquarters Supports Snowmobiles in Yellowstone   6 years 41 weeks ago

Frank his name is Wenk not Wank, though I must admit the latter works much better than the former in the current context.

As to your question about the continued faith most supporters of the national parks place in an organization that openly ignores the public it supposedly serves is a good question. I think part of the answer lies in the government education most citizens receive which stresses conformity and obedience to their tax funded masters. After all the government tells us that they are killing and maiming Iraqis to bring them freedom, testing bombs in Nevada to promote peace and allowing the slaughter of habituated bears in Alaska to help maintain a healthy population. Why should their most recent decision on snowmobiles in Yellowstone be any different? Is anyone really surprised? Newspeak is no longer just in the pages of Orwell's 1984.

Kids today are taught in public schools that self-interested independent action is evil and selfish while coerced collective effort is always for the benefit of all, even when we don't understand why our masters blatantly ignore the collective will. They are further taught that they must eventually come to the enlightened realization that all government action is intrinsically good and that they must submit regardless of their own selfish motives and desires.

The screwy logic of the current political management of the parks is best summed up at the end of the piece: "Notwithstanding the prospect of additional legal wrangling over this issue, the departure of the Bush administration could very likely lead to another change in policy, particularly if the Democrats take the White House."

Is this any way to run our national treasures?

Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under.
    -----H.L. Mencken

• Haleakala National Park Officials Institute Moratorium on Bike Tours   6 years 41 weeks ago

I think if you want to ride down, you should earn it by riding up it!

Testosterone ...Testosterone...Testosterone...maybe somebody should buy them A Playstation

So long as we can shoot them from the air, I'm all for it. ;-)

PS -- I'm just joking -- I would only use paintballs...

Let me begin by saying that I lived in area for more then 30 years. I went to Katmai National park in 6th grade. I grew up in the area on subsistence hunting and helped fish and hunt for elders in the area. Maybe I am old school of hunting but this is just wrong. The National Park Service needs to get it's priorities straight on wether they would like sight seeing income or a hunting income. I am astonished about the talk of fair chase there is nothing fair about hunting these bears in this area. They are to familiar with mankind because of the sight seeing and sport fishing vistors that come from all over the world to vist the park. I have read some other peoples comments on bait hunting but lets think about this, for how many years do the bears migrate to this area to feed on the fish in preperation of hibernation and only nature can dump several hundred thousand fish in one location and have generation of bears know to come to this area for preperation on hibernation. Why they just did not direct hunters to local land fill and shoot the bears going into there? Maybe because it is against the law. Have some self respect and Dignity on hunting as a person or the branch of goverment that manages the resources. There is so many other locations to hunt in the Bristol Bay Area then in the park.

How can anyone support Washington after reading this article? Mr. Wank hides the fact that he and the agency has succumbed to interest pressure and the agency has (again) disregarded science in favor of dollars.

The park's decision also once again ignores the vast number of people who took the time to comment on the draft plan.

When a public entity is no longer accountable to the public, it's time to start looking at alternatives to political systems. The NPS ignores the public, but so many people remain faithful to the bureaucratic, calcified, parasitic system. When will people wake up and demand something different, something better? How long will government ignore its citizens desires before its citizens force the government to listen?

----------------------------------------
    Reform the National Park Service!

• Grizzly Attacks Man in Grand Teton   6 years 41 weeks ago

My wife and I had a VERY close encounter with a grizzly "cub" (had to have been at least 400 pounds) this summer while camping in the open in Coulter Bay campground. Fortunately, the bear was curious and only "sniffed" us as it was moving through the area at dawn on August 30, 2007. I awoke to a "clicking" sound on our plastic ground cloth. I slowly lifted my head, then startled to see the bear starting at us not 12 inches away! Its front feet were standing on the ground cloth. Talk about an adrenaline rush! The bear was not aggressive in the the least and I'm sure it was just checking to see who the fools were sleeping amidst the lodge poles and overcast sky. It's an experience we'll never forget and, yes, we did report "visit" to park officials...

Nature can self regulate without our "help". My opinion -- animals at the top of the food chain should not be hunted for sport - period. We've hunted most of them to the brink of extinction and now we claim that more hunting is what's needed to address the problem. Sounds a lot like the argument for a perpetual presence in Iraq to me... (You know -- we're there, and now people are attacking us, so we need to stay there and fight them until they stop -- that sort of skewed logic).

No, it doesn't bother me that a bear might die of starvation or that half of them might die when the next volcano in the park blows its top -- what bothers me is that another creature on this planet associates pleasure with the death of another creature. That's what I'd classify as mental illness.

The bears are happy? Hmm... Watching too much Yogi & Booboo?

I'm off to New Mexico. I'll read your cheerful, well-considered responses when I return.

• Sunrise at Bryce Canyon   6 years 41 weeks ago

Beautiful photograph... exquisite light and composition. Makes my soul scream to be there...

I couldn’t watch the whole video. I didn’t even get halfway. After seeing the hunters standing slack-jawed in such close quarters to the bear’s calm presence, I knew what would happen next. Taking candy from a baby doesn’t even begin to make a comparison – more like just killing the baby.

The difference here is between true hunting and lazy hunting. I think we all know which this is. I feel like those lazy hunters have no appreciation for what they’re taking.

I’m outraged.

• Centennial Projects: Fighting Mosquitoes in Grand Teton National Park   6 years 41 weeks ago

my opinion is that they need to eliminate non native species which follow the central fly-away via "trash dumps" from Jackson hole and Cody as others in the area that allow the refuse to stay uncovered to long and etc. which give these "critters" a trail to follow from Mexico to Canada.I also agree with the fact of re-introducing more bats,purple martins and etc. to naturally fight them. And after a little checking, I found that from Jackson hole to Cody, east to Dubois,Lander and Riverton. there NEVER has been as area hospitals and clinics tell me a death or illness attributed to the park but some west nile has been reported from a few that had been hiking and hunting near dumps(seems that dumps are great places to hunt/trap fur bearing game as they are attracted to them) But as usual, the powers that be, keep their priorities in a unusual order to say the least! this is why money does not get allocated to the things that need it most!

So what do all of you people that are complaining suggest we do with the bears once they overpopulate? Disease themselves and die or die of starvation??? You can't have it both ways. And what about the poor fish the mean old bears are biting their heads off?? It is all relevant, isn't it?? All of you probably eat fish, chicken, beef, ham, etc., etc. etc. And those "poor animals" are standing in a 5X5 foot pen, gorging themselves on food we feed by hand. THEY TRUST US, right??? And then a bullet is put between their eyes...IS THIS "FAIR CHASE"????
    GET OVER IT!!! It is all relevant. "One man's garbage is another man's treasure". Believe it: the bears are simply happy there is more food for them the following year!! SMILE and go to bed!!

• Katmai Bear Hunt: Outfitter Says It's No Walk in the Woods   6 years 41 weeks ago

What fine point of logic are us over-educated bunny huggin' posey sniffers missing?

Are you trying to tell us that just because some bears happened to ingest a goofy guy and his girlfriend, who had deliberately camped way too close, for weeks on end, next to active wild bears in the outback, as being the sane and rational justification for close range slaughter of habituated bears in a national park?

If this is your thesis you are the one without a lick of sense. I doubt a first-grader would offer up this kind of nonsense with a straight face.

You are are wise to remain anonymous.

I am deeply saddened and disgusted by the act of killing these habituated bears. I am a hunter, a fisher, and outdoorsman. This killing is dispicable, a low mark for human behavior. All individuals involved with this hunt, and the killing of these nearly tame animals, needs to be brought before the public and exposed for allowing, participating, or promoting these acts. Every magazine, newspaper, and T.V. station in this country should play this video and explain who in the state and federal government allowed this despicable act. The careers of the officials that sanctioned this tragic shooting event should be ended without hesitation. The videographers should be commended for putting themselves out in the field and bringing this footage to the world.

Any 3rd grader could tell you that he wasn't talking about the exact same bears. Goes to show how much good higher education does for you bunny huggin' posey sniffers who don't have a lick of common sense.

I have been a hunter for 13 years. What these people did is not hunting and is completely unethical. However, I also think there is another problem besides the hunting; these bears are habituated to humans. This should not be and the park needs to stop accommodating to tourists. It's a national park, not a zoo.

This is not hunting -- this is a bunch of fat men who would pee their pants and cry to their mama's if one of these bears even got close to them. This makes me sick. There is no excuse for this.

If this is about "thinning" the population, well, there are too many fat and stupid men hunting bears in Alaska...and there's no doubt they need to be thinned out.

• Opposition Mounting to Higher Entrance Fee At Olympic National Park   6 years 41 weeks ago

Honnestly, i find it wrong to raise fees... I'm a foreigner, and i don't understand why we should pay more than residents. I mean, the fact i'm coming to the USA doesn't mean i'm rich, it just means that i made the decision to save money to do it.
    Then, i would say that, unfortunately, raise fees or taxes are common sense for administrations, in the states or here in my country, rather than spending the public money in a good way. Do you really think it still make sense (i'm not talking about fallen soldiers, they are heroes) to spend all money to war? With a small % of that money, a lot of stuff would be better in the US.
    And, i want to add this, i'm really happy about your NP. Here, we don't have that (well, yeah, Belgium is a small country) but i think NP rock! You have fantastic landscapes, parks, ... and it's great to have it organised: rangers, campgrounds and so on. As long as it is open to everyone the same way, then it's cool. I fear of yu start raising fees, not everyone will still be able to visit...

Where’s the outrage from ethical hunters and their representative organizations? How can these organizations wonder why the new USFWS survey on hunting, fishing, and wildlife recreation shows a continuing decline in hunting? Legitimate hunters and their organizations should be outraged at least at the message that even supporting this particular management practice sends to people who don’t hunt, but still support hunting for the conservation benefits that generally follow wise management practices…but why should they continue to support it if the “easy bear before breakfast” continues? Support and participation obviously do not support any cause that might bring consumptive and non-consumptive users to work together for common benefits in other topics/debates.

Glad to hear that Alaska is putting the brown bear on its quarter. Too bad too many people will see it as the view through their spotting scopes. Guarantee you'll see images with the Alaska quarter and crosshairs superimposed on it within the year.

I hope Congress and the State of Alaska take quick steps to stop this terrible practice.

First thing I'm trying to do is ensure every news agency in the country picks up on it. The listing on Google News had three articles on my search yesterday and today it has nine, including papers in UT and TX that have picked it up. It needs some national exposure -- write to CNN, ABC, NBC, CBS, etc. first -- get more American citizens involved. After you've exhausted the list of usual people to write to (Congress, NPS, Interior, Jenna Bush's daddy) then get creative.

You are VERY good at expressing yourself and yes, it is inhumane. How macho is it to prick a bear with an arrow and then stand back and let your paid assassin do the actual killing? When people come up here with more money than skill or ethics, the real killing is done by the guides and the hunting industry should acknowledge that.

Oddly enough, Merryland, Alaskans just selected a fishing brown bear as the symbol to put on our quarter. It's a live brown bear with a salmon in its jaws, not a dead bear on the wall.