• Katmai Bear Hunt: Outfitter Says It's No Walk in the Woods   6 years 40 weeks ago

Wow Anonymous---Do you realize Congresspeople do not listen to people named anonymous? Mr. & Mrs. Anonymous do not get to vote and for that reason they are not heard. For your information, I also did not appreciate the hunt that was portrayed in this particular video.

• Yellowstone Bison Population Healthy; Montana Priming For Hunts   6 years 40 weeks ago

Thanks for pointing out the error, Jim. That's what happens when you're trying to get a post up and not miss your flight connection.

Yellowstone buffalo, like elk, are probably at numbers well beyond their historic numbers within Yellowstone. The problem is that bison have not been allowed to expand their range. I fear for the buffalo this winter caught in the usual pissing match among humans and their proprietary claims.

FYI, your article is in error. The NPS has claimed that there are 4,700 bison after the summer count (just below the 4,900 record). After last summer, the count was 3,900. The NPS news release is at http://www.nps.gov/yell/parknews/07100.htm.

• Is the Bear "Hunt" in Katmai National Preserve Sporting or Ethical?   6 years 40 weeks ago

Thank You Channel 2 News, Magen and everyone else for an oustanding job. Yes the video is but just a short epic of what's going on out on Katmai viewed by some as biased and not telling the whole story. Well, to show the rest of the story would be to show even more grotesque slaughter of the bears in this region on Katmai National Preserve. Rest asure, that is not the only footage and images of whats going on out there. The rest of the filming will surface when it's most appropriate. The eyes and ears are everywhere bear hunters and evry move is being recorded and documented.

• NPS Director Bomar Not Inclined to Overturn Yellowstone's Snowmobile Backing   6 years 40 weeks ago

The fact that she has the chutzpah to keep a straight face after having just spent $10 million on a snowmobile "study" is reason enough to dismiss whatever lock-step she is keeping with her fellow bureaucrats in support of the insupportable. In fact, I think this is an extremely useful illustration of the folly that is inherent in the continued support of this agency to manage wilderness much less picnic tables or rest rooms.

As for Mary's adoration of the Magi......er.....I mean Management Policies (the sacred capitalization emanating from her official statement, not mine) should come as no surprise. This is the modus operandi of an unresponsive bureaucracy: wantonly spend $10 million of the taxpayers money on a "study" and then blatantly ignore their input before stonewalling when confronted with a reasoned response. I couldn't make a better argument for wholesale change in the NPS if I spent of a month of Sundays on it.

Thanks for the vivid display of bureaucratic arrogance Mary. You're making my point about the bankruptcy of your agency way better than I ever could!

Sam, and pro bear kill significant others, it's quite obvious that your all upset about this videos pathetic contents in which it displays: the gross unethical slaughter of a innocent animal at feed. Your simply upset because it displays a open picture, or a small scope of the major UNETHICAL practices of hunting in Alaska. This video is a small mirror in what is truly happening in Alaska (ask the native Alaskan Indians) as far as illegal and gross mis-management practices of it's NOT so infinite resources. The BOG and the other Alaskan wildlife services have not provided enough data to the general public about the status of the Katmia bear population and else where. Why would they? The boards are stack with pro gut pile hunters who nourish and relish the fact that a bear trophy is a nice attraction for big bucks. It's not about sound and sane game management...it's about about a resource for BIG MONEY!! Why don't we get the famous Craighead Institute from Montana involved in this, and see what they say about this video Sam.

I will absolutely honor and obey the Management Policies.

Commandment #11: Honor and obey thy Management Policies.

Let's all bow down to the sacred Management Policies and not question their validity or purpose. To question would be blasphemous. We must honor them absolutely.

No wonder the NPS is so ineffectual: dogma, the established belief or doctrine held by a religion, ideology or any kind of organization, thought to be authoritative and not to be disputed or doubted.

• Alaska Regional Director Responds To Outrage Over Katmai Preserve Bear Hunt   6 years 40 weeks ago

Living with Bears, there are people writing comments who are native Alaskans and have years of experience living with bears and spending time out on Katmai. I personally get my information from many of these people some of them bear biologists. I have also been coming to Alaska for many years and some years twice. Over the past 8-9 years there has been a steady decline in bear numbers in GMU 9C 703 and I get some of that information by spending time out there year after year. When I'm out on Katmai, I trek for miles every day. How many of those wealthy bear hunters do you think are Alaskan natives? I bet NONE!! My family and I spend double the amount of money each and evry year on Alaska's economy than any bear hunter and it's already been pointed out to you that Katmai National Preserve is a public park and I've paid my park dues. you just read the comment from FACT, a native Alaskan who stated plenty of facts for you. I'm currious where you get your factual information? of course being the wife of a bear hunting guide your's must be the most accurate!! You don't have to have cancer to know it's bad and wrong. Once again pay attention to the isses people are upset about.. shooting the bears while they're still at th their dinner table. Moving the hunting season up to October one was the stupidist thing that could have been done. Most are not asking for the bear hunting to be stopped, just moved away from this region.

This video has about as much credibilty as Algore's POS.
    It figures that all you enviros believe it! LOL!!!!

Living with Bears. I do live in Alaska, in Fact I was born here. Where are you from. I have spent over Twenty years in the Katmai Park and Preserve. In all that time have never seen an over population of Brown Bears. Just a declining population, more so since 1999 when the hunting season was moved forward. Katmai Park was set-up in 1918 by President Teddy Rosevelt to protect the Brown Bears. The Presrve was laidout in 1981 as part of ANLCA. The way that the bear counts are done there is NO science to it. They fly a pattern and if they see ten bears they say there must be fifty. ( Using thier formula). The higher the supposed bear numbers the more they can kill. The Katmai Preserve is about 300 sq. miles. GMU 9C 703 is about 25 sq. miles. Let the hunters go to the far west end of the Preserve where the bears are not as use to being close to humans.

• What is YOUR Favorite Park Experience?   6 years 40 weeks ago

My very first night in the desert. Jumbo Rocks campground in Joshua Tree NP (then NM) in early May. A perfect day, a perfect evening with the round sand stones glowing deep red in the last light. And me on top of one of them. Then the night, still a bit chilly, with all the stars you can see in the desert but never in the city. Up again before sunrise, looking far out in the desert in the clearest air possible, the light had a blue hue in the last minutes before the sun crossed the horizon. In the next twenty minutes I was busy taking pictures of Joshua Trees as silhouettes against the sky, the sun, the barren land, the rocks and the other bizarre desert vegetation.

Thank you for the interesting video. I am not sure why there is such a concern about chasing the bear before killing it, that seems even more cruel than killing it quickly as these hunters did. I imagine the guy with the bow hoped to get a kill shot,but he didn't so they followed up quickly with the rifles.

It would be great if y'all had a nice graph on your homepage displaying actual KNP grizzly numbers for the past 10 years. I would really like to see some data that supports your claims. Could you at least direct me to your data sources so we can review them?

I did a float trip down American Creek this summer, and we saw 161 bears, which averages out to about four per river mile. I would have to agree with NPS that the population of bears is healthy in KNP, and that a little hunting every other year is sound management.

Dear "Living with bears",

Let's assume for a second that we need to manage the bear population in Katmai National Park. Who should do that? Trained experts or the highest bidder?

• What is YOUR Favorite Park Experience?   6 years 40 weeks ago

July 2007 Our first trip to Yellowstone. It started out on a bad note we were only about 30 miles away from home when the engine in my truck quit had to be towed along with my trailer to a dealership that night.We spent the next day waiting to see if the truck could be fixed.Found out the engine need to be replaced.So I traded it in on a new one and drove the rest of the way to Yellowstone.The rest of the trip was just incredible the weather was perfect and we took over a thousand pictures some great and some funny.So far it has to be the most memorable trip and the most expencive too.

• What is YOUR Favorite Park Experience?   6 years 40 weeks ago

July 1968, Isle Royale National Park, Huginnin Cove: My first family backpacking trip. I was still in grade school, and my parents were total novices who had no idea what they'd got us all into. We did all of our cooking and water purification over a modest wood fire. My Dad kept that fire going in the face of major Lake Superior thunderstorms, soaked wood, and a limited match supply. We slept in floorless canvas pup tents and cotton-shelled sleeping bags. We only saw one small boat come into the cove all week, and that for just an hour or two. Otherwise, we had the place to ourselves. We survived and actually enjoyed something that none of our suburban friend and neighbors would have dared to do. It was a tremendous introduction to wilderness solitude and self-sufficiency. This first adventure, like a first love, no matter how much better and more exciting were those that came after, sticks in my mind as the most memorable and intense.

Do you have a wilderness experience like this? We'd love to hear your telling of it. Just call it in to 866-590-7373.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    The WildeBeat "The audio journal about getting into the wilderness"
    Download the MP3 programs or subscribe to the podcast at...
    www.wildebeat.net

• What is YOUR Favorite Park Experience?   6 years 40 weeks ago

Frank, I was wondering if you'd remember that! Although, I suppose you had a few more opportunities to experience that bat count than I did. I was always sad that I got only one season at club "beds".

• What is YOUR Favorite Park Experience?   6 years 40 weeks ago

That also happens to be one of my favorite memories, Jeremy, although it's difficult to choose just one.

Thank you Gerald (PhD) and Ms. Blaszak's. Finally a clear educated representation of what everyone refers to as "the hunt" is really about. For comments made that the National Park Service is missing the point, please re-read Ms. Blaszak's statement. If you still don't understand it, please consider that YOU are missing the point. I've been growing tired reading the ignorant comments left by over emotional, undereducated, slightly ignorant writers.

Because I have not seen one comment yet written by a person who lives in the area I have to question where they are getting their information about tame bears. Let me fill you in....Katmai is large. In response to one question, "can they hunt in a less densly populated area of Katmai, to make the chase more fair?" The answer is YES, but I'm not sure how the question relates to what is being accomplished here. It was never intended to be a chase. Bears are overpopulated in many areas of Katmai, why would you use harvest control hunts in areas where they are less populated? Bears roam MANY rivers in that area. The density of bears on that river in the video is not unique even to Katmai. Back to the point. For those of you who insist on questioning the process, please limit your comments to what you actually understand. Consider that many of you have never even been to the area. Do any of you live in the bush? Do you know what the alternatives to a controlled hunt could be?

I personally could not shoot a bear and I've been close to many. I just don't know if it came to me or the bear that I would feel just taking his life for mine, knowing I was in the bears territory. I have great respect bears. We do see them in large numbers sometimes flying over and counting well over 100 bears in a 10 mile area. These are not even healthy numbers for their own survival. Have you watched a bear kill another bear? Have you seen the village public safety officer shoot a cub walking on the beach in front of a handful of kids? Or the scores of visitors that had to receive counseling after watching a bear kill another bear right in front of them at the falls (Brooks Lodge.)

It has to be managed. If you don't like to see it, I understand, neither do I. Because we don't like it, doesn't make our opinion the best judge. My husband was a big game bear guide back in the 80's and he still flies hunters to these locations to shoot bears. I no more personally agree with this than I do with the bear viewing outfits that try to prevent the hunters from shooting. We all have to respect the law, enforcers, and the science behind the decisions being made. If it infuriates you that much, educate yourself, you might find that as much as you don't like it, it actually makes more sense than your intitial emotionally charged reaction.

Lastly, I cannot put into words the distaste I have for Channel 2 News and reporter Megan Baldino. In my opionion their coverage borderlined heavily on biast reporting. The troopers didn't show up until after the news team had left, this made it difficult for them to follow up on the interference complaint, for lack of evidence, that doesn't mean it didn't happen. This video and news release has caused many problems for organizations in Alaska and I thought Channel 2 was at the very least, irresponsible. Flying out with a well known "Bear Viewing Operation" did not bode well with the public trust. Consider sending your reporters, not with the guy whose making a luxrative living off BEAR VIEWING but with an air taxi that is not partial in any way. Whether Megan Baldino personally agreed with harvesting bears in Katmai or not, she might have pretended for her audience to be an unbiast reporter. One Example: immediately following an update on the complaint against her for intentionally interfering with the bear hunt, a story aired about hunting whales (also very contested), her response was something like, "I haven't tried Mukluk yet, I'll have to do that some day", (laughter). Clearly she doesn't have a problem hunting whales. Problem is, she isn't in a position to advocate for or against anything. Megan Baldino, when at the news desk, representing Channel 2 News KTUU, is a reporter. We don't care or want to hear her personal views or side comments to her co-anchors about anything when she is reporting "the news."

• Katmai Bear Hunt: Outfitter Says It's No Walk in the Woods   6 years 41 weeks ago

WOW" BRIAN, WHAT BIG STRONG COURAGEOUS MEN TO BRAVE THESE HARSH AND DANGEROUS CONDITIONS!!

PLEASE EVERYONE WRITE YOUR CONGRESSMAN IN PROTEST OF THIS REDICULOUS HUNT ON KATMAI.

BE SURE TO MENTION GMU 9C 703 KATMAI NATIONAL PARK

• Alaska Regional Director Responds To Outrage Over Katmai Preserve Bear Hunt   6 years 41 weeks ago

Great point Ralph. Justanotherhunter" If what you say is correct about the sound track on the video then thanks for pointing that out and I stand corrected on that! even so, that changes absolutely nothing about the bear slaughter happening on Katmai National Preserve GMU 9C 703 Katmai National Park and behavior of the hunting guide outfits. You see justanotherhunter beleiving only what you want is no more fact than beleiving what is shown!! That video is not the only evidence out there for the rediculous bear slaughter you guys call sports hunting. I've persoally talked to several pilots and crew who monitored and recorded the entire first week of the hunt and all report the same thing unfair chase, slaughter horrific etc. Lets not forget that Alaska's own BOG wildlife biologist sent out to Katmai to see the first days of this hunt said the same thing.. he had no idea it was this bad out there and he was embarrassed and ashamed the Alaska Board of Fish and Game has been allowing this to happen. The Katmai bear hunt is no different than the canned hunts down in Texas where ranchers get old retired circus animals, disgarded exotic pets throw them out into a field and charge big money to allow some fat rich slob to shoot big game wow' what men!!! Like Ralf said, these are basically tame animals, again what skill it must take to shoot them. Justanotherhunter, if you sanction this kind of killing than you are definitely not a hunter and you should call yourself "justanotherkiller" The real hunters I know completely disapprove of what"s going on out on Katmai. Skillful moral hunters feel this is a disgrace to their sport!!

• 4-Year-old Dies in Fall off South Rim of Grand Canyon   6 years 41 weeks ago

The national parks with their beauty and one-of-a-kind appeal tend to keep parents and others from considering the potential dangers which may exist as well. Children, unless they are restrained by a rope from parent to child or by the stern warnings given beforehand to stay close and not run ahead, will inevitably be attracted to and run to see what lies ahead (a view from the rim, a steaming geyser pool, etc..) Parents should be forewarned, "Keep Your Child Close!"

• Is America Failing the World's National Parks Movement?   6 years 41 weeks ago

I had the great good fortune to work with Alvaro Ugalde during an extended detail assignment in Costa Rica. He was one of the most inspiring, motivated leaders I have ever met. The sad part about his message that the US is losing its place as a leader in the world conservation movement is that this is the second time he has publicly said this in a US meeting. The first time occurred during the 75th anniversary of the National Park Service in a meeting held in Vail, Colorado.

The saddest part of this story is that not only is the US Park Service losing a chance to share what its employees have learned with their protected area colleagues around the world, we are losing a chance to learn from others. Many protected area systems around the world do not have the financial resources that the US National Park Service posseses. Their employees have to be more creative and innovative to resolve issues that we tend to throw money at. Let's hope that the next administration will pull its head out of the sand and recognize that good conservatin any place in the world provides benefits to us here in the States.

Thanks to Alvaro for reminding us of that fact.

Rick Smith

• Is the Bear "Hunt" in Katmai National Preserve Sporting or Ethical?   6 years 41 weeks ago

First of all, how do we know that the bear eating salmon at the end of the video is the one killed? This video is SO edited!! It has NO credibility.
    You are doing a great disservice to this issue with such a poorly produced video...what is that guy doing out in the water? It didn't even look like a bear...looks to me that you had someone out there with a stuffed animal!
    So, in total, all we saw was one bear shot at...none was shown continuously from first shot to skinning.

I and about 50 of my hunter friends have called all parties involved with this hunt and told them what a great job they are doing! Sound game management!
    So, all you anti-hunters can go whine some more.

Dear justanotherhunter

"it ran up the hill and I almost s*** my pants" (cant believe the editors let that one get through)

"..shit my pants..."? I was recently up in Katami and got several times within yards of bears without considering to shit my pants. These bears are basically tame! My cat is shier. If anybody shits his pants getting close to fat bears with full stomachs, they must be bloody cowards full of "angst" (meaning irrational fear, compared to rational "fear").
    Concerning: "(can’t believe the editors let that one get through)". If you consider using clean and appropriate language don't start with the word "shit". I suggest instead analyzing the difference between "hunt" and "slaughter". After you might have grasped the difference consider calling yourself appropriately "justanotherbutcher" not "justanotherhunter". (No insult intended to real butchers – I love the meat you produce and your profession.)
    This is not about one special group having more rights than another group. This is about the ethics of hunting and about “butchers” giving good hunters a bad rep. If individuals like you continue supporting unethical slaughter of tame bears, the repercussions will be plenty of public pressure. Granola eaters do like their teddy bears! You might consider killing semi-domesticated animals fair game, however the majority of hunters including myself can not agree with you. Killing these bears is neither in the interest of hunting nor is it sportsman like. I can understand the public outcry and don’t want to be confused with people like you. Hunters will never be butchers. Be ashamed!