• Road Warrior Sacked by the National Park Service   7 years 7 weeks ago
    Your quick history is just a bit too quick. Carter did not use his authority under the Antiquities Act to sign in to law the Alaska National Interest Lands Conservation Act (ANILCA). 28 years ago (not 26), on Dec 1, 1978, Carter did use his Antiquities Act authority to establish 17 national monuments covering just under 56,000,000 acres in Alaska. Then two years later, Congress used its authority to pass ANILCA, which Carter then signed into law (on Dec 2, 1980). The Congressional action effectively rescinded or undid Carter's proclamations and replaced them with the national parks, monuments and preserves (and other federal lands) that exist today. Carter's monuments no longer exist, but that does not mean we should discount the importance of his actions in using the Antiquities Act to preserve the Alaska lands and force the Congress into taking the action that it had thus far failed to do.
  • NPS Web Sites: Boon or Bust?   7 years 7 weeks ago
    I was trying the other day to re access some administrative history on a NP site and could not find it anywhere.. I do remember pages and pages of this kind of data.
  • NPS Web Sites: Boon or Bust?   7 years 7 weeks ago
    Agreed, but there was definitely a significant amount of time and resources poured into the NPS web redesign. The fact that the end result makes it more difficult to find park sites by state, region or topic is frustrating to say the least. www.nps.gov used to be a daily destination on my laptop but now I actually rely on my own website and the deep links to the original park websites (those local pages you can sometimes find clicking on the "In Depth" button at nps.gov) that we posted there to find information I need. There are a lot of great websites dedicated to the National Parks, Kurt's being one of the best. But they should be free to supplement and highlight what NPS has to offer, rather than have to fill the gaps left by NPS's poorly planned "updated" site.
  • NPS Web Sites: Boon or Bust?   7 years 7 weeks ago
    Waaaaaaaahhhhh! I'm afraid of change!!! To be honest, if I have to choose between a webnerd updating Olympics website or an LEO out in the field keeping the place safe, I'm going to go with the LEO. Websites should be kept relevant but not every NPS site is going to be like Glacier NP.
  • Don't Cry for Richard Pombo   7 years 7 weeks ago
    More sordid details on Pombo's cozy relationship as a congressman with his new employer can be found on the SF Chronicle's blog today at http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-b...
  • Out Product Testing   7 years 8 weeks ago
    Happy travels, Kurt. I'm jealous. The things I see every day (or can see every day) - the National Mall, Lafayette Park, Dupont Circle, the Anacostia waterfront, or even Rock Creek Park, aren't all that conducive to showing people the fruits of the national parks system and perhaps show just enough to show just how stretched out the NPS is. They could use a road trip out of this city - perhaps a permanent one; a lot of people who live here would like that.
  • Killing Rocky Mountain NP's Elk   7 years 8 weeks ago
    Random, that's nature at it's best and without the sound of rifle blasting off. Well put!
  • Killing Rocky Mountain NP's Elk   7 years 8 weeks ago
    I would relish the opportunity to watch a full grown wolf take down a trophy bull elk on a rock broken alpine meadow mountainside studded with silver snags in our Rocky Mountain National Park.
  • E.O. Wilson: Some Words to Ponder   7 years 8 weeks ago
    My heart goes with E.O. Wilson's sentiments; my mind tells me that what he's espousing is also a religion, and his distinction of a religion or an ideology as not serving without discrimination all the interests of humanity to be ideological (not to mention loaded). In my heart, I wish for an environmental romantic who doesn't necessarily have it in for the rest of thought that came before it. Actually, Emerson perhaps is just that sort of person, and yet I have my own issues with him. In my mind, anymore, I find myself instantly antagonistic toward anyone who speaks against religion and ideology with an open brush and tries to claim that what they are doing is somehow neither. If one is wondering if there's really much difference between my heart and mind, there isn't any except the flavor of its expression. That different flavor has a hallowed place, but neither is antithetical toward the other. Jim
  • E.O. Wilson: Some Words to Ponder   7 years 8 weeks ago
    Trey, name me one decent thing that the Bush Administration has done for the envirnoment...like a blown economy over his phony bogus war.
  • Bush's Parks Budget: A Marketing Marvel   7 years 8 weeks ago
    I wasn't hiding like Bush & Cheney...served as a medic in Viet Nam. Any more questions!?
  • E.O. Wilson: Some Words to Ponder   7 years 8 weeks ago
    Bush has done FAR more than Clintoon! Snowybird: you're still a stupid Dupe...stinky too.
  • E.O. Wilson: Some Words to Ponder   7 years 8 weeks ago
    Roger, take real hard look and see what very little the Bush Administration has done to protect the environment...absolutely nothing! I'm not going to insult you Roger by calling you stupid...just ignorant!
  • Bush's Parks Budget: A Marketing Marvel   7 years 8 weeks ago
    Hey Snowybird...I'm serving...where are you?...singing Kumbaya?? Go away...you're drawing flies!
  • E.O. Wilson: Some Words to Ponder   7 years 8 weeks ago
    Snowbird...you are a stupid dupe....
  • E.O. Wilson: Some Words to Ponder   7 years 8 weeks ago
    ..."However, as USA Today pointed out in August of 2006, “he and his wife Tipper live in two properties: a 10,000-square-foot, 20-room, eight-bathroom home in Nashville, and a 4,000-square-foot home in Arlington, VA.” He also has a third home in Carthage, Tennessee. To get to and from his highly paid lectures, he uses jets that consume vast amounts of fossil fuel derivatives." Figures...what a friggin' hypocrite!!
  • Bush's Parks Budget: A Marketing Marvel   7 years 8 weeks ago
    Look, it's GI Joe again...more troops? We can't even manage what we have there now. What did the last election say Stan?....no more waste on this bogus war in Iraq. You right wing whacko's are the last ones to march in the front lines of the Iraq war....Beside's Rick knows what he's talking about, and you Stan are foaming at the mouth.
  • E.O. Wilson: Some Words to Ponder   7 years 8 weeks ago
  • What Can We Expect in the Wake of the Skywalk?   7 years 8 weeks ago
    I wanna be there when some loser decides to jump over the glass and spare us his loser gene-pool....SPLAT!!!
  • Bush's Parks Budget: A Marketing Marvel   7 years 8 weeks ago
    Hey Ricky-boy...stop whining...ya whine about NO money, then ya bi&*h and moan when the Prez steps up to the plate....just like all ya liberals crying "we need more troops" (Iraq)...then when the Man steps up, it's the cowardly...no, no.... So go away...you have no solutions, only criticism.
  • E.O. Wilson: Some Words to Ponder   7 years 8 weeks ago
    It's to bad that the Bush Administration doesn't have the guts or the balls to read this short masterpiece. Profound reading!
  • Missing Signature on NPCA Park Letter to Congress   7 years 8 weeks ago
    Difficult times make for strange bedfellows - maybe we should count our blessings (few as they may be), such as the fact that NPCA found 100 people willing to sign the letter
  • NPS Archives: What's Their Future?   7 years 8 weeks ago
    Excellent idea regarding the NPS museum as a project worthy of funding through the Centennial Challenge grants. I had the opportunity to see the NPS Lewis & Clark traveling exhibition. The show traveled the nation for over 2 years along the Lewis & Clark trail. I would love to see the investment made in traveling equipment (tent, trucks, etc) converted for use as a vehicle for the NPS archives to tour the country as well.
  • What Can We Expect in the Wake of the Skywalk?   7 years 8 weeks ago
    I enjoyed John Weeks article (my mind works the same way?) I lived on a reservation (PNW) for seven years and as RangerX stated it is not a national park but a sovereign nation (albeit interfered with by the good old USA) with its own governmental and social structure. That I understand we borrowed from a bit. Anyway, they have out trumped the whiteman’s ignorance and disregard for nature with this one. I feel the skywalk is an atrocity, an affront to nature, which can easily pitch me into a state of awe that no man made can reach. I am sure that within the Hualapai tribe I am not alone. I feel the same way and have not returned to the Grand Canyon National Park proper since sometime in the early 80's. I like the dirt roads north out of the Peach Springs area, the Hualapai and Havasupai reservations on the canyon edge. I hike down to the river and mosey meander for a good long while. Maybe not as grand, though for me it feels more exact and truthful there. ...and now there is this.
  • What Can We Expect in the Wake of the Skywalk?   7 years 8 weeks ago
    Yes, Claire, exactly...which is one reason why I'd be the last person to tell a reservation what they can and cannot do. And, it's a reason to try to organize ourselves as people differently, which is what I myself have worked on here, though not with a lot of success (just spurts of hopeful moments and possibilities).