• Are The National Parks Not Part of Our Federal Lands?   6 years 41 weeks ago

This comment will probably not be added to the website (its too political): If we have money to take care of Iraq, why don't we have money to take care of America?

• Secret Service View Teddy Mather As Protestor, Not Presidential Material   6 years 41 weeks ago

If I may steal these immortal words from one of our country's supposedly noble "presidential material".......
    Let me make one thing perfectly clear.

Whether or not Teddy the Bear was due his 15 minutes as made possible my Fox News is not the issue that I was trying to address. Enabling the issues to be elucidated upon due to costume and circumstance instead of having them judged on there relative merit is one of the trademarks of Fox journalism. I'm sure if they could, they'd put a naked girl on the cover of every story, as well as on their nightly newscast, ensuring the "big splash" to the crowd to which they pander. Rather, it is the circus surrounding the specific circumstances of this particular "bear" event, directedly targeting the political subterfuge pertaining to the 1st Amendment rights of ALL Americans, not just those deemed "presidential material" that irks me. So, you don't like protesters? Get the hell out of politics, or have the stones to admit that we most certainly do NOT live in a "democratic" society. This was by no means a civil distrubance, a riotous act, a nuclear attack, or any such attempt by the NPCA to "steal the spotlight" and deny the candidates the opportunity to do whatever it is they were attempting to do. So I guess what our ever-lovin' government is saying by these actions is that it is illegal to pass out literature and wear campaign buttons at a political rally, debate, side-show or whatever UNLESS you have the proper literature, buttons, bumber stickers, etc. that are APPROVED IN ADVANCE by the candidates participating in the freak show AND by your friendly SS guards.

Didn't we just live through this exact circumstance not 70 years ago on the European continent?
    Democracy my @$$. PLEASE, lose the RED and the BLUE. VOTE THE WHITE, VOTE INDEPENDENT.

Independent thought + Independent mind = A BETTER AMERICA.
    (That's my new campaign slogan.....whacha think?)

• Are The National Parks Not Part of Our Federal Lands?   6 years 41 weeks ago

If you want to be taxed only once then you need to pay a true cost the first time. The problem comes from cutting the budgets and expecting improvements at the parks. This forces the park to behave like a private entity that charges at the door. This one example of privatizing public assets through the unending call for "small government". Your right, entrance fees do make parks, and education etc., accessible only to those who can afford it. Unfortunately that is the direction our culture is headed. Everyone for themselves. Unless we are committed to paying the taxes we need to instead of the least amount we can get away with, then these parts of America are up for sale.

So does the Secret Service (SS) become the arbiter of what's whacko speech? Is that relevant to the free speech issue?

As to the comment about the SS making a tactical error and giving Teddy Mather some press, that perhaps is true. I can't say I'm a fan at all of the "Teddy Mather" concept; (me wonders what Gifford Pinchot would have thought of this one!) So, that it got some press is almost regrettable. Most people who find themselves abused by the SS this way don't get any type of press at all; they don't have the power of NPCA behind them. And, those who have gotten press still haven't gotten very far.

I remember seeing one event, where dozens of people were arrested about 600 yards from the White House (that's as close as authorities - in this case, the Park Service) would allow for a commemoration of dead U.S. troops and Iraqis. When the line was crossed in an area so far from the White House, I talked with an immigrant from Syria, who was dismayed. He said it was the first time since he had left Syria where he felt like things had actually become worse than the country he had left. I urged him to get involved in the Chicago area, where he lived. I don't know if he did, and I know that experiences like the ones I have had and the one he witnessed are the exception to the rule (the most we have seen is the sensational "Don't taze me, bro!" episode, but this is a common thing that have happened to people not being obnoxious at a John Kerry event).

Rather than focusing on the absurdity of this happening to NPCA, who were invited and didn't see themselves as protesting, I hope we can show solidarity with all people, from whack jobs to those who are quite serious, who want to speak out (and who aren't openly stopping others from speaking out - as in the case of the KKK and the Nazis). Unfortunately, that often doesn't happen, as the defense often offered by more mainstream groups is that they were persecuted despite being mainstream. That's too bad.

In DC, these events - because they often happen in parks - usually fall on the National Park Service (though sometimes, it's the SS) to police. I don't think that irony should be lost on NPCA. If it complains about what the SS has done to it at a particular campaign event, it should push just as hard that the service it advocates for is often guilty of the same thing on public lands throughout this country (while ironically, in places like Harper's Ferry, giving material support to Klan members rallying, offering protection and even rides and escorts to their racist, hateful, and intimidating event).

Welcome back Gerald, you never did say what your so called Ph.D. was in. Look's like NASA recent photo's and weather research reports on global warming doesn't reflect the work done by a bunch of whackos (expert climatologist). Pretty conclusive evidence that global warming is mostly man induced. Now, you wouldn't be working for the coal industry would you? Most park naturalist will tell you that they do agree with most of the NASA reports on global warming. They have seen the environmental changes coming for long time, especially in the upper elevations of our National Parks.

As long as so-called "conservationists" keep talking the "global warming" hoax, NO ONE is going to take them seriously. They will just been seen as a fringe group of whackos. PARK ISSUES are what they (NPCA) should be focused on. Better campgrounds, better roads, repaired infrastructure, better interp displays.
    We homo sapiens did not create global warming and there is nothing we can do to change it. State of fear is not the answer. How many of you remember scientists were warning us in the 70's about "global cooling" and the coming ice age?? The earth has been warming for a long time with an interval from 1940-1970s that we were cooling. We could begin cooling again in the next few years...no one knows or really understands the totality of global climate and it's interaction with the sun.
    Gerald
    PhD

• President Bush's Dog, Barney, a Junior Park Ranger at White House   6 years 41 weeks ago

My little scottie did but she stayed on the trails!

Does this mean that as a Junior Ranger Barney can now explore our National Parks off leash?

• Are The National Parks Not Part of Our Federal Lands?   6 years 41 weeks ago

I hear what you're saying, but it seems like the first step in rolling back all these user fees should be eliminating them in the remote, "non-destination" areas. At least in national park units you usually get at least some "added value," whether that's ranger led-hikes, a bookstore, or at least a visitor center with a map. I have less of a problem paying for some of those costs, though I think the general treasury should pick up the vast vast majority of those costs. However, it's much harder to convince me that I should be paying an additional fee of $4 or more (similar cost to many national monuments and natl historic sites) to hike in a USFS wilderness area where there is no "added value" except for a delineated dirt parking area, trailhead register, and credit card fee machine. At least in the national park, I know the agency is focused on protecting the resources, whereas in some of those other BLM and FS areas, you have to overlook lots of destructive practices like logging, desert grazing, target shooting, rampant ORV use, etc.

My apologies Lone Hiker,

I misread, the intern got in. Still, being "off put" by a comment doesn't make it law suit worthy.

The bear got bluff charged. He'll get over it.

• Conservation Groups Urge National Park Service to Reinstate Jet Ski Bans   6 years 41 weeks ago

Every single person who contributes comments to NPT is a resource -- somebody with experiences to share, insights to offer, questions to challenge us with. Consider J Longstreet, for example. Isn't it great that a park superintendent wants to share in our forum? There are fewer than 400 national park superintendents in the entire country, for crying out loud, and these are exactly the people we need to be hearing from and talking to and yes, even trying to persuade. We need to engage them even if we don’t agree with all the things they say, all the views they hold, all the things they want to do. And what happened to this superintendent when he joined in and commented? He got dissed by several of our commenters (you know who you are) in a mean-spirited way, as though he were an enemy to be disposed of. No effective leader achieves important goals by throwing away valuable resources, cutting off critical lines of communication, and insisting that “it’s my way or the highway.” Let’s not drive each other away. Everybody’s a resource.

Jeremy, I have had three scottish terriers in the past and plan to get a fourth. Barney makes me well up in tears, reminding me of my dear Keri that I had to put down (cancer) a couple months ago. After 15 years of being a faithful little companion the Christmas time brings back warm memories of her. Barney displays the same disposition and swaggered walk of alertness. Well, in regards to Bush and Bomar and Barney...that's another story! However, a cute Christmas sharing this time of year and a nice warm remembrance of my little dog.

• Rocky Mountain National Park Officials Select "Lethal Reduction" To Help Reduce Elk Herd--Updated   6 years 41 weeks ago

Kurt:

Your post states: "With several thousand elk moving in and out of the park throughout the year, and no wolves to provide population control ...." Makes you wonder why the Park Service didn't push hard to adopt an alternative that would bring back wolves. With a quarter-million acres of wilderness in Rocky, and more forested wildlands to the north and south, you'd think there'd be room. Or maybe Rocky Mountain is really just a wild postage stamp hemmed in by development around Estes and Grand Lake, and we should give up on managing it as a truly wild place?

As for working to bring back the wolves, as Bob suggests, several conservation groups including Colorado-based Sinapu (which means "wolf" in Ute) are threatening to sue the Park Service for failing to return wolves to the Park. See http://sinapu.wordpress.com/2007/12/11/operation-estes-storm/.

Given the successes and lessons learned in Yellowstone from wolf recovery there, and the Park's mandate to protect natural processes, one would think the Park Service could (and should) be on the cutting edge of wolf recovery elsewhere.

It is a positive step that he Park is addressing ecosystem damage. It's too bad the Park didn't (or couldn't) go further.

Frank, it's your constant scab picking at that NPS that irritates. We understand your grievances run deep and hard, but your losing your point by the constant brow beating on the parks. The less said, the better the impact! I think you're being a bit overly sensitive about Kurt's comments about slowing the constant negativity. You have made your point many times over. However, your comments are well taken with some merit.

"We don't want you to stop commenting. But we think you've more than made your feelings known about what you think of the Park Service and its employees. The Traveler is not the forum for this continued condemnation." Kurt Repanashek

I will respect the wishes of NPT and cease posting comments at the NPT site critical to the status quo of national parks management. NPT is a private endeavor. NPT is not subject to the protections of the First Amendment; that's one thing it has in common with the NPS.

It's regrettable that grown adults cannot simply ignore that with which they do not wish to contend. Instead, they censor. They silence. They misrepresent.

My comments have been called shrill, but if you search the record, you'll mostly find reasoned arguments about wrestling national park management from the quagmire of partisan politics. Occasionally, I've been Abbey-esque, but it's a sad statement that NPT wouldn't welcome Cactus Ed's opinions and writing. Those seeking to perpetuate the current paradigm of political management of national parks mislabel criticism as negativity, and in that way, NPT further resembles the NPS. Because of comments critical of NPS bureaucracy, supposedly "in extreme cases, folks simply are not returning to the Traveler." I would enjoy seeing some hard evidence on that, and would beg to differ. Healthy debate attracts participation, and if you look at the posts with the most comments, they are usually hot topics with a lot of debate.

Regardless, I'll take the debate elsewhere. Stop by my homepage from time to time. Leave a comment if you support park management unfettered from political partisanship. More importantly, leave a comment if you don't.

"Everyone is in favor of free speech. Hardly a day passes without its being extolled, but some people's idea of it is that they are free to say what they like, but if anyone else says anything back, that is an outrage."
    -- Winston Churchill

"Without debate, without criticism, no administration and no country can succeed -- and no republic can survive."
    --JFK

One of us missed something hh-

The caption on the photo at the head of the piece states that the picture was taken after the Secret Service prevented Teddy from attending a presidential forum, so as I'm understanding things, Teddy never did set paws into the debate arena. Additionally, the author states that they "carefully packed the bear into the trunk, and returned to event", again making reference to the fact that Lil' Teddy didn't gain entry. Are you interpreting something different in all of this?

I whole-heartedly agree that, as you state,"if the bear did something untoward to the candidates, he'd go down". Nothing less would be either expected or appropriate. But somehow I doubt that Teddy was packin'. And from what I gather, if someone was to state to you that, "unless you do so and so, we're taking you down and it won't be pretty, you might be a bit put off by the tone of the comment. Federal property notwithstanding, for well behaved "protesters" to be verbally threatened and/or abused (and there lies a fine line between the two) is simply not acceptable under ANY method of crowd control protocol.

Long live the Bear!

• National Parks Contribute Holiday Ornaments to White House Christmas Tree   6 years 41 weeks ago

Oh my God. There really IS an Andersonville Prison NHS Christmas Tree Ornament! I thought Beamis was being sarcastic! Read about it here: http://www.daltondailycitizen.com/statenews/cnhinsall_story_345145913.html. Unfortnately, there's no photo...

Teddy Mather should be grateful to the Secret Service.

Now he's actually interesting. At least for 15 minutes.

This is a funny story. I love it. But some of you are taking this WAY too seriously.

Lone Hiker, what the agent said to the bear isn't intimidation. It's honesty. Besides, this bear WANTS to be watched. That's why he's wearing a bear suit and carrying signs. And yeah, if the bear did something untoward to the candidates, he'd go down!

The agents were just doing their jobs. They let the bear in for heaven's sake.

Trust me, a Secret Service Agent's cynicism about politicians pales anything you guys can come up with.
    I say we should give them a break. The government isn't going to give them much of one over the next year.

• Secret Service View Teddy Mather As Protestor, Not Presidential Material   6 years 42 weeks ago

Right on Lone Hiker! Incidentally, did you watch that piece by ABC-TV news last night (12/12/07) on the big Christmas dinner bash that the lobbyist put on for the Washington bureaucrats? Talk about special interests, big money and corporate pimping. I'm sure all the jet boat and snowmobile companies were well represented. Yap, Rome lives well in DC! Oink! OinK! here piggy, piggy!

• Park Service's Top Investigator Pleads Guilty To Theft   6 years 42 weeks ago

It's not just the NPS. There seems to be a moral and ethical decline in our society. I dealt with Pat on another business level and I found that she was not completely honest. This is something I have been experiencing this with increasing frequency with clients. To generalize, I think it's a two fold problem.
    1. There are a lot of people out there who will do whatever it takes to save a buck or keep that "wallet filled with cash" they find on the street if they think they can get away with it.
    2. There are broader issues of trust rampant in our society. We don't seem to be able to trust each other. This is in no small part because of #1, and when the media bombards us with "bad" news it teaches us that there are nothing but villans out there.

Just remember that there is good AND bad wherever you go - and I'm sure this applies to the NPS. Just keep your head down and do the right thing and at least you can be MOSTLY assured that YOU wont get in trouble.

• Conservation Groups Urge National Park Service to Reinstate Jet Ski Bans   6 years 42 weeks ago

The bottom line is that Anonymous and Mr. Smith are attempting to neutralize two critics of the current system by labeling their postings as nothing more than blatant negativity. If the truth be known Frank and I have repeatedly made suggestions and shared our ideas for forging a different path in the management of the national parks. In the meantime we have also continued to point out the failings and political corruption of the current system, as a good many of the featured articles on this website readily attest to, as a means of bolstering our point. This is what caring watchdogs do when they wish to keep the pressure on those in charge to bring meaningful change or a full-scale deconstruction into something totally new.

I'm glad that Superintendent Longstreet is able to "understand the reasons for my frustrations and anger, and channel that energy into more positive, and more selective, communications." I'm sure those skills are important in maintaining a career in the current system but I do not share the same abiding faith in that system that he does.

The truth is that I love the parks but don't trust their politically driven administering agency to accomplish the job of preserving and protecting them over the long haul. There is currently too much waste, corruption, careerism and politics for the critical functions to be carried out in an effective manner. That is my stand and as long as there is a forum to discuss better ways to do it I will.

This website is about supporting the parks, not worshiping the government agency that has a monopoly on their administration. Instead of attacking us I suggest they'd both look a whole lot more credible if they engaged us on our ideas instead.

I just want to let you know that we’re going to let you in, but we’re watching you. We know who you are. We know you’re with the bear. Any funny stuff and you’re going to be arrested. This is federal property and it won’t be pretty

First off, in legal circles this type of vocal intimidation is otherwise known as assault, which by definition is paraphrased as "any attempt, whether by act, speech or writing in intended to convey physical or emotional damage upon those parties at whom the act is directed". Personally, I'd sue the bastard who made those comments, if for no other reason, to draw attention to the issue.

Second, the term "presidental material" disturbs me to no end. Just what the hell is "presidential material"? I've submitted a written request to various organizations for a "legal" definition of that term. I'm estimating my odds of a reply at 20:1. I've also spoken with a couple of professors of political science on the issue, and they cannot justify the term in any political sense either. And they estimate my chances of a meaningful reply closer to 50:1.

Finally, I personally see little that would qualify under ANY definition of that term as viable options in recent years. Hillary? Obama? Mitt? Bill? W? Gerry? Jimmy? Tricky Dick? LBJ? JFK? What a bunch of crap we've had to endure in the past 40-50 years. The bear has at LEAST as much credibility and insight as anything in that group. And Jim is absolutely dead on target. The people are responsible for the current state of affairs by their practice of ignore, then vote. That is the exact reason the system is the cesspool that is has become. You can blame those in charge, but the masses are the ones who placed them in positions of alleged authority, and I use the term authority loosely. Until we, the people, ALL the people, take back control of what was designed and intended to be ours, and regain the power of the vote, we're stuck with this "quality" of "presidential material".

If people tell you that your negative energy sucks the life out of a room when you enter it, it's time to take a long, hard look at the way you relate to others.

What's sadder still is that protesters of all kinds are treated like this. This is a typical, if fairly mild version, of what I have experienced hundreds of times. I'm not that alarmed that a message about the parks and the environment is considered protest (in some sense it is); what alarms me more is that anyone deemed to be saying something different or outside the norm is treated this way and seen as a threat. This is an extremely common story for those of us who have tried, and I wish people would open their eyes to it. Right now, people are talking about Obama or Hillary; Rudy or Huckabee, but if you have anything at all to say about the matter or about something else that matters, you will be kept far from any event that matters. And, people are ho hum about it, ignore it because it doesn't affect them, and then vote.

So NPCA, a very traditional organization, is now on the outside looking in, and is a little taken aback that they are seen this way. I have to say to them, "Welcome to the club. We're not as strange, those of us on the outside looking in, as we might seem. So, come find a free speech pen and fit right in; the space is a little tight, no one can hear us, but at least they haven't thrown too many of us in jail, yet. (well except him and her and her and him, but they should be out soon)."

Frank and Beamis, I don't read every post; I browse NPT selectively. I'm nonetheless pleased to see that we agree on some things and that you've on occasion been complimentary to NPS employees. It's a nice side of you guys; you should try using it more often. We all agree that the NPS has problems and needs to be held accountable; Rick Smith and I simply want it to succeed where it often appears that you'd prefer it to fail. I'm sure we'd both be happy to be proven wrong about that.

One of my NPS mentors once told me that MY negativity was a drain on the organization and compromised my ability to achieve my pro-resource objectives. That was a wake up call for me. It caused me to think more critically, to understand the reasons for my frustrations and anger, and channel that energy into more positive, and more selective, communications. It's allowed me to get far more accomplished since then, and win more allies. Which also means more victories and less tilting at windmills. I am pretty confident that the track record doesn't show that as the point I entered the dark side, either.

Enough about you, and enough about me. I'm signing off of this thread.

J Longstreet