• Report Shows Visiting National Parks Could be Hazardous to Your Health   6 years 34 weeks ago

This is truly sad. I hope someone is going to come up with a sincere, effective plan to address these issues. I don't think another overpaid bureaucrat is the answer.

• Critics: Changing Gun Laws in National Parks Would Open a "Pandora's Box" of Problems   6 years 34 weeks ago

I live in Colorado and every time I cross NPS ground i do not unload my weapons because the criminals and drug addicts that frequent the road I travel and the the trails and canyons where they grow there crops do not unload theres. I love to sport hunt but i do understand that government land is off limits to any sort of hunting so any one shooting on government land is still prohibited. I want my hundred pound wife or my two daughters to feel like they can defend there persons against all threats that could cause injury or death. Any one carrying a gun on NPS or other wildlife refuge should have a permit to carry and keep it out of sight, if an incident happens and the party dose not have a permit there should be repercussions. The right to defend my self should not be an issue, the park service in my area is way under staffed and very young i think there are only two armed rangers on our 70 sq mile park, that to me is not vary comforting. I am a full supporter of being less dependent on someone else to save my life or my loved ones and more self reliant let us legally carry.

• Groups Sue To Overturn Removal of Greater Yellowstone Wolves from Endangered Species List   6 years 34 weeks ago

Hey Anonymous, you may call Mr Saunders a skilled hunter but he had a cheap shot. Another words, unethical kill! If you peacock ranchers allow wildlife to have it's natural space to roam and breed and just maybe there can be some natural balance between predator and prey ratio. NOoooooo, we need more happy cows and more range land and will just smother out the rest of wildlife with cheap gun smoke. Don't tell me differently, I've seen this kind of scenario played over for years with you yahoo cowboys. Good cowboys know the wisdom of wise ethical hunting and don't expound by cheap cow talk or brag about a easy slaughter of wildlife.

Those wolves are vicious...kill 'em before they get your pets or kids. Our ancestors killed 'em all off for good reason!

That there Tony Saunders in that picture is a killin' mochine! I know Tony...he is quite the skilled hunter. He's a good man!

I hope and pray that the removal of the wolves from The Endangered Species List is overturned.

• Senators Pushing To Allow Concealed Weapons in National Parks   6 years 34 weeks ago

As a veteran in a wheelchair I always carry my concealed weapon because you just never know who wants to do you harm. This includes are national parks. I have very few options if me or my family were in danger. I wish I lived in Lone Hikers world but I dont I live in reality.

• Congressman Calls for Full EIS of Proposal to Allow Concealed Carry in America's National Parks   6 years 34 weeks ago

The entire 2nd amendment reads as follows: "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." If you're going to quote it, quote all of it not just the parts you like. Really, the Bill of Rights were those points so important the framers felt they needed to be outlined in addition to the body of the document. If we need to form Militias to protect all of the Parks, then lets rework the gun regulations, allowing personal concealed weapons will not protect anyone. And not all parks have metal detectors.

"soceity that functions for the common good"

Hmm. But the Bill of Rights was established not for the so-called "common good", but to protect individual rights from infringement by the federal government.

"It one reads our Constitution carefully, without objectivity, you will discover that the intent and structure was based around a vision of socialistic government."

Without objectivity? You mean with a particular bias? That would be the only way one could read socialism into the Constitution. Socialistic government was the intent of the Founders? Are you kidding me? "Socialism" as a term didn't even exist until the 1800s, and it emerged from Western European social critics, not Americans. The federal government outlined in the original Constitution was hardly socialistic as it protected private property and did not allow for state means of production.

A quick primer on socialism:

"It is the aim of Socialism to transfer the means of production from private ownership to the ownership of organized society, to the State. The socialistic State owns all material factors of production and thus directs it." http://www.econlib.org/library/Mises/msS.html

Anyway, this is all a red herring to destract from the fundamental issue: the Second Ammendment, along with the rest of the Bill of Rights, was intended by founders to protect an individual right.

Finally, the individual rights in the Bill of Rights do not cease to exist; they are not to be infringed upon by the federal government.

• Another Park Study Approved   6 years 34 weeks ago

Dear Editor Repenshek and National Parks Traveller Bloggers:

As President of the Monroe County Historical Society, based in Monroe County Michigan, I am very proud to report on the tremendous progress we have made, in concert with the State of Michigan, the City of Monroe and a broad spectrum of community organizations, in reclaiming sacred 1812 battle soil from it's most recent industrial past. The old paper mill has been, at long last, demolished and removed. With the leadership of Michigan Governor Jennifer Granholm, Dr. William Anderson, director of Michigan's Department of History, Arts and Libraries, and our Congressman John D. Dingell, we are setting the stage for the proper preservation, commemoration and interpretation of the Battles and Massacre of the River Raisin. To assist the National Park Service study, the Monroe County Historical Society has commissioned archeologist Dr. G. Michael Pratt of Heidelberg College to chair a multidisciplinary team of historians, archeologists, and academicians to prepare a nomination of the River Raisin Battlefield as a National Historic Landmark. These team members are already intimately familiar with the site because they have been engaged in a number of extensive studies over the past ten years. All traces of the historic events have not been erased, in fact they have remained sealed under a cap of industrial concrete flooring for almost the last 100 years. Our story is a fascinating one and a tipping point in the War of 1812 for control of the Michigan territory and the Great Lakes theater. I invite you to learn more. I'm sure your will come away impressed by the national significance of the events which occurred here during the winter of 1813, and equally impressed by the tenacity and committment of our community in reclaiming, developing and celebrating our historical assets.
    Respectfully submitted, William H. Braunlich

Nobody is suggesting the solution is simple, or even black and white. One side states that the lands were given to us by the governing body for this expressed purpose. The other side states that you knew better when you undertook you're money-making endeavor. The simple biology of the situation is summarized by one basic premise: Kill the predators and the population of prey animals increases exponentially, no matter what symbiotic relationship you use as an example. Kill the prey and the predators find new sources of nutrients, which in this instance might include YOU. Probably not, since there aren't enough humans in the area to sustain a populace over time.

So, kill the wolf, cougar and other top predators, and when the bison, elk, mule deer, etc. compete unencumbered for the grazing lands, as has happened before and will again, and when in times of strife the lands simply will not sustain the burgeoning population or grazing animals that you have encouraged, do you propose to eliminate them as well?

SAVE THE WOLVES, BOYCOTT BEEF!

• Nevada Barr’s Next Park Novel: An Unauthorized Preview   6 years 34 weeks ago

Bob--

What I like about Anna and her ranger colleagues is that they talk like real rangers. The dialog rings true to my ear.

Rick Smith

• Traveler's Top 10 Picks For Movies Involving National Parks   6 years 34 weeks ago

I suppose including TV shows opens another can of worms, but I'll go for it: "Nash Bridges", with Don Johnson and Cheech Marin had a couple of seasons filming at San Francisco Maritime NHP. I was a ranger there for those years, and it was rather odd to see the likes of Willie Nelson, Tommy Chong, and Tracy Lords wandering around on Hyde Street Pier. Charsimatic megafauna? Hmm. It was also a bit distressing to see visitors more interested in a "Don" sighting than exploring their historic ships. Watch out for the fake "park rangers" mixed in with the real ones in the background...

• Nevada Barr’s Next Park Novel: An Unauthorized Preview   6 years 34 weeks ago

Thanks for the info, Doug. Being with husband Paul implies that Anna will be at Natchez Trace Parkway in the next novel. Bingo! :o) The park visits answer is very interesting. Ms. Barr lives with her husband in New Orleans, so scheduling a visit to a park in that vicinity should be pretty convenient for her. Big Bend would offer neat possibilities for a novel that works in themes like the smuggling of illicit drugs and illegal immigrants.

If a person wants to carry in a park for protection it should be legal. If i shoot an animal illegaly I should be punished. If I shoot an animal or criminal(one in the same) then justice is served I will always have the right to defend myself and loved ones no matter what the poloticians think.

• Nevada Barr’s Next Park Novel: An Unauthorized Preview   6 years 34 weeks ago

I heard Nevada speak at a book signing of Winter Study in Washington, DC on April 7. While she graciously signed my book, I asked her two questions:
    1. Was Anna going to be with her husband, Paul, in the next novel? She said Yes as Anna was getting tired of celibacy.
    2. I asked Nevada which Parks Anna would visit next? Nevada said she was thinking of New Orleans or Big Bend in Texas
    Cheers
    Doug

What people seem to very conveniently dismiss is that both the"rights" of the individual and of the group cease when they infringe in a dangerous, malicious and potentially harmful manner on the existence of society as a whole. As our sponsor has regularly asstered, your "right to free speech" has certain common-sense limitations, those being, but not limited to, speech that is potentially, or willfully, intended to create a circumstance whereby the common good is threatened, and the risk of injury or death is a potential outcome of your actions, again, whether it be your intent or just the end result of you enacting your "freedom". As will all good things in life there is a certain responsibility associated with freedoms and "rights" that are an integral part of ensuring a safe society. No "right" is exclusive to this group, nor should it be so. Cooperation, or as some would have it, common-sense is the keystone to a soceity that functions for the common good, and it is our responsibility as citizens of this nation to ensure that no one or group oversteps the bounds of these individual or group freedoms to their own benefit, specificially to avoid propagation of totalitarianism, caste system, dictatorship or the many other forms of elite rule. It one reads our Constitution carefully, without objectivity, you will discover that the intent and structure was based around a vision of socialistic government. To discard that vision for the convenience of but a few would truly be a tragedy for America in the 21st C.

• Cape Hatteras National Seashore Settlement Won't Ban ORV Use, But Will Restrict Travel   6 years 34 weeks ago

I guess, it means a little bit of oil leak on the beaches but not a whole lot...with less ORV's. Regardless how you look at this issue, wildlife still gets the short end of the stick. Wish we could resolve this issue the way Aldo Leopold would...with better "land ethics"!

Anonymous, your snide comments doesn't merit much sense. I have met a few like you, it's all about guns, bullets and booze with the slogan "a huge gut pile is a happy hunter". In Yosemite we have the decline of the mountain loin which enhances the deer population to explode...another words, the predator-prey ratio is all screwed up. Now with the wolves, which keeps the ecosystems in checked with a balance predator-prey ratio to some degree has some profound success. It's not perfect for you peacock ranchers in Montana but it works. I suppose this makes you cry in your beer at night to hear a few wolves howl. Beware of those green eyes at night anonymous!!

Duh! Why not click on the links? Anyone following this issue knows exactly where CNHS is. Hint. It's in North Carolina.

• Nevada Barr’s Next Park Novel: An Unauthorized Preview   6 years 34 weeks ago

Thanks for the feedback, Debbie. I agree that the Anna Pigeon books can be read in any order without undue confusion, though it's best to read them in chronological order if you can manage it. There's a classic rule of thumb that applies to reading materials that are published in series and contain dated or "perishable" content. (It would apply to, say, a two-month accumulation of Time magazines you've been too busy to read.) The ROT says you should read the most recently publication first (because it contains the freshest or "best" information) and then read the others in chronological order (because each contains information necessary to understand the information in the one that follows). Nevada Barr has done a superb job of creating stand-alone books in the Anna Pigeon series, so people can pretty much forget about the classic ROT.

• Nevada Barr’s Next Park Novel: An Unauthorized Preview   6 years 34 weeks ago

I didn't have the benefit of reading her books first to last. I found her books by accident and have picked one up every time I run across it. I have skipped around, but still thoroughly enjoyed them. I think that Ms. Barr does a good of providing enough background and insight into Anna Pigeon's character in each book to allow you to enjoy them independently. But, if you have the luxury of being able to start them in order, that would be a whole lot of fun.

Lets see, and Cape Hatteras is where? I believe it’s in Maine but I’m not sure. Neither does the writer of this article, as he doesn’t seem to want to tell us. Very poor, vague article, not very informative. Sorry.

• Segways in the National Parks: Do We Really Need Them?   6 years 34 weeks ago

"It seems that you'd have to watch the trail constantly rather than lifting your head and eyes to view the sights around you on a bike trail. No?"

No. Why don't you try it before forming an opinion? Do you constantly watch the ground when riding a bike?

"What's the point of it?"

It is fun, inexpensive to operate, consumes no fossil fuel, produces no fumes, is quieter and safer than a bicycle, and requires no maintenance. Why not?