• Freak Rockfall Kills Colorado Couple At Glen Canyon NRA   6 years 47 weeks ago

Maybe 'we' should return Glen Canyon back to it's original state, find the man's body and clean up everything else
    that might be down there....

god called them home. may they rest in peace together,forever. in jesus name

• Judge Orders Cross Removed from Mojave National Preserve   6 years 47 weeks ago

Foolishness seems to be a quality greatly possessed by many who claim to understand.

To what end do we quarrel about these nonsensical things.

I'll be praying for you all.

• Will Greatness Mark the National Park Service's Next Century?   6 years 47 weeks ago

Ah, so many issues, so little time......

Anon-

For three and a half years I served as general manager for a $105MM family of 7-8 units. Annual budget reveiw and approval was one of my main respnsibilities, and I wasn't above rewriting them based on the annual planning stratagies discussed in our corporate planning meetings. I would allocate additional funds for certain areas while eliminating from others based on the focus that we at corporate dictated that each unit pursue for the upcomming fiscal year. Through what some might label as micro-managing, I would then closely track the expenditures of each entity to ensure that our focus was being implemented and properly administrated by the unit managers. I have since embarked on a career in the sciences, and have been placed in charge of establishing a research laboratory. In both cases, total responsibility for all things related to how and why monies are allocated fall directly onto my shoulders. Maybe due to this forced accountability, and the level of ethical pride that was instilled in me years ago, I cannot sanction, condone, or understand the concept of "misused" funds. To say otherwise would, like yourself, be untrue to my principles. You're correct in stating that I don't know you......nor do I know any of the regular contributors to this site. I trust that you are all intelligent, decent, respectable folk, since I have no evidence to the contrary. I just might, as you suggest, enjoy you as a person. And you would be most welcome to join me on my next trans-canyon trek across the Colorado, along the Appalachian Trail, into the Narrows, across some Civil War battlefield site or elsewhere. But after some period of days, you're likely to hear more comments that would confirm my position as your "troll", as I don't suffer fools lightly in any aspect of life, and sooner or later, I'm sure I'd commit another faux pax regarding some issue you hold dear. But no personal affront was then or is now intended, I assure you.

Frank-

I apologize for taking much longer to reply than did yourself, and thank you to both you and Beamis for the biographical data. My intent was to determine the extent of the level of interaction that you both allude to in various posts, and what level of management you have been influenced by and interacted with during your tenure. It is most unfortunate that mediocraty is the rule rather than the exception, but as I mentioned to Beamis, the few good people in federal offices seem to have little staying power due the tolerance and in some cases fostering nature of building and maintaining a staff with the sole intention of surrounding one's self with people of lesser talents, abilities and ambitions solely to make yourself appear "larger than life", thus solidifying your future within the department. Unfortunately, our current governing bodies are ripe with these types of management at more levels in more departments that you would care to believe. Rangers hired at less than GS-5? No wonder they can't find enough good people. It's hard to get by on $24K annually, even single and living at home! The adage regarding government work is as old as the hills, and as true. But when you don't empower people such that they have no role in determining their future, what can you expect? I'm not attempting to rationalize, just overstating the obvious I guess.

I'm familiar with Rauch's work. I gather not too many people are due to their inability to understand I can take the stance that I do regarding our politcal system, being a proud member of NEITHER side, both losers in my opinion. Those of us who project independence are too often labeled "libertarian", another term invented by the media.
    When I stress the term INDEPENDENT, I'm usually confronted with "independent Dem or independent Rep?". Jeez, get a clue folks, independent means INDEPENDENT! As in, not dependent on EITHER side. Next they'll be calling me a Separatist, God forbid.

My plan centered around the "Public Land in Public Hands" mantra actually came to me some 6-7 years ago, and unfortunately I've yet to find the time to start the organization process. But you're quite correct, the current state of affairs isn't worthy of much besides the scrap pile, as it hasn't worked, and it's progression has been one of regression of late. The federal government obviously isn't concerned with the current state of affairs, only with the opportunity to generate further profits from the "public" lands without the monies going to public cuncerns. Ah, the continued raping of a nation, what WILL they think of next? As I mentioned previously, there are indeed methods of legally taking back what is ours, as a people of this nation, and turning they system around to work for us as members of this society. Unfortuantely, it will take quite some time and there will be legal battles, probably up to the Supreme Court level. Fortunately, the Constitution has some mentions that can be used to build a case around, making this a bit less tedious a fight as one might believe. After winning that approval, the dominos fall fairly easily into place, in terms of consolidation of current resources. Management, administration, and new funding sources are the major hurdles that will require much for intense planning and execution in order to realign the current system into a fully functioning entity. More exacting details to come, I promise.............

• Opposition Mounting to Higher Entrance Fee At Olympic National Park   6 years 47 weeks ago

Can't anyone see what will happen here?

The fees go up and the government cuts back on the meager funding they dole out to the parks which in my travels, are way under funded just to maintain them!
    every park employee, ranger or administrator that I had the pleasure to talk to tells me the sad stories of woe, bleak outlook due to the government cutbacks.

private run parks such as stone mtn. park in Georgia, seem to do well. (possible partial solution?)

the local communities around these beautiful places benefit well and probably could stand a non-resident tax such as the one we have here in Florida on hotel rooms and such to help with this too.

but in my simple view America is a privileged place to live and those that want to see it should see it the same way we do and do not discriminate on fees which should be free or as low cost as possible! (how much does Smokey Mountain National park charge?)

Also if enough people are informed and the public steps up and demands that our elected officials stop spending the taxes it does collect for this on other things, maybe more will be done.

I was not attacking anyone. I was sarcastically questioning the lazy logic that we should make "Foreigners" pay more because they have enough money to get over here so hence they won't mind being gouged to the tune of $50 a pop to enter every national park.

I didn't call this anonymous person an idiot or a jerk. I simply skewered what I considered to be a simplistic and possibly xenophobic attitude towards our foreign guests and then pointed out a flaw in his reasoning towards private business.

What should I have said, "Good stuff. Thanks for the enlightening input." This website is about debate and dialog concerning the best way to preserve and defend national treasures. Light sarcasm has its place when half-baked ideas are slung out in a haphazard and unfocused manner. This person was free to respond to my sentiments and may yet.

Also in response to your point about "Foreigners" not paying taxes so they should pay more, how do you propose to determine who is and who is not a foreigner at the entrance gate and how much more should they be forced to fork over? Would you be happy to pay more to get into Windsor Castle or to the top of the Eiffel Tower for the same reason?

I'm not sure how much foreigners pay in federal taxes, but they do pay many different taxes. If they fly around the country, they pay the federal tax on airline tickets. If they rent a car, they pay taxes on that. If they buy gas for their rental car, they pay federal taxes on that. If they use interstate turnpikes, they pay a user fee (tax) on that. If they buy goods or services, they pay sales tax on that. They probably paid a processing fee (tax) for their visas. When they enter a national park, they pay a user fee (tax). Then they dump millions into the US economy which generates jobs which generates income tax which is used to fund national parks. While we may not know how much of the taxes payed they pay directly support our parks, the contribution of foriegn visitors shouldn't be underestimated.

When I lived in Bulgaria, there were different prices for foreigners than for Bulgarians. It seemed very unfair. I'm glad to live in a country with a constitution that provides equal protection for everyone in its borders, not just those with citizenship.

Just because some people are more able to afford entrance fees, it should not follow that entrace fees should be raised for specific groups or for all people.

• Fall Into Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone Kills California Woman   6 years 47 weeks ago

Im not sure this was foul play, because I drove by this accident less than 5 minutes after it happened while another person was on the phone with the national parks. The male compainion was visibly in a panic and very very upset. I have a police scanner and listen to the whole incident both on Friday evening and Saturday morning. There were rocky mountain big horn sheep that people were taking pictures of and maybe she tryed to get a better look or camera shot and lost her footing?? None less it was very sad and my heart goes out to the family and friends of Charlotte Harrison.

"And yeah, let's stick it to those "Foreigners" How much do you suppose they pay in taxes to support our parks? Beamis, in a previous post on a different topic you asked someone to respond to your arguments without attacking you but it seems that what you like to do best.

I have always wondered why we don't have an option on our federal tax returns to donate $1 of our refund to the National Parks similar to the option to fund the presidential campaigns. I would think most folks would donate and it's a very efficient way to solicit donations to our national treasures. I would be much more inclined to donate to our parks than to more campaign ads on TV.

Foul play? In what way? Was something seen or heard unusual? How do you hear something like that?

Anon,
    Thank you for your well wishes. "i'd like to see some further activity on your blog, it seems like a more appropriate place for the tenor of your comments as well as a more suitable location". I enjoy participating in discussion on NPT because it's the best NPS discussion site on the web. Dissent and criticism are necessary to democratic discussions, and this post, due largely to those few who challenge the status quo, has received more comments than any other currently on the front page. Without critics, the site would be silent of significant discussion and debate, and only sycophants would remain; what's the point in that? Until Jeremy or Kurt directly tell me to buzz off, I'll remain a gadfly who presents an opposing view.

The test of democracy is freedom of criticism. --David Ben-Gurion

• World War II Sites in the National Park System   6 years 47 weeks ago

There must be a story for many, many parks in the system. Fort Jefferson (Dry Tortugas) was a seaplane base during the war and they cut down trees in the Everglades to make up for a shortage of wood for houses.

There's much to address here, and this is the Haunted Hiker's busiest time of year. But I want to take the time to say a few things.

One: Beamis was an brilliant interpreter and dedicated employee. I don't know Frank (at least I don't think I do) but I wish I did. But then I do have a weakness for crushed idealists. Especially the funny ones.

Two: To dismiss someone's opinions, statements, or rationales because they are "disgruntled" is an ad hominem attack. In other words, lazy logic. I saw supervisors do this over and over again during my 12 years with the NPS. We are all guilty of it from time to time, just like we are all guilty of slouching. Regardless, the NPS is long over due for some well-spoken challenges to the conventional wisdom. Let's straighten our backs and be strong enough to contemplate the insights offered by so-called "disgruntleds"!!!

Three: You can do more (or at least as much) for the parks and the visitors from the outside than you can from the inside.

Gotta go. Spooky Trails y'all!

"Why not raise the fee in all of the National Parks to $50 per car for a weekly pass."

That'll sure cause visitation to skyrocket. And yeah, let's stick it to those "Foreigners"!

While we're at it I'd like to remind the anonymous economic genius: Disneyland and Six Flags don't also receive direct funding from the federal taxpayer. They have to get all of their money the old fashioned way, through voluntary transactions with willing customers, one transaction at a time.

lone hiker- i was the one who posted "misused" and i can tell you, aside from the entity that i run, i see misused and hear about misused funds everywhere. from public radio stations to large corporations, it happens... let's not split semantical hairs here, i meant what i wrote. to deny it is to deny reality.

and as for having me on your payroll? you don't really know me, nor my perspective, so why make a flaming, trollish comment like that here? you don't even know me, so please, take a nicer tone. you'd probably like me, maybe even take a hike in a park with me! (unless you really are a "lone" hiker!) ;)

frank- honestly, i'd like to see some further activity on your blog, it seems like a more appropriate place for the tenor of your comments as well as a more suitable location, perhaps, than one who focuses more on parks *overall* than simply reform. additionally, i'm glad you aren't working for the nps system and are now teaching... you're probably making a greater impact on society in general anyway and we need intelligent, competent, award winning teachers.

Why not raise the fee in all of the National Parks to $50 per car for a weekly pass. People are more than willing to pay $50 to go to Disneyland, Six Flags, etc:. With all of the Foreigners you see in our National Parks, they must have money or they would not have gotten over here to see it. The National Parks are run down and need more money then they are getting from the government.

• World War II Sites in the National Park System   6 years 47 weeks ago

And don't forget the Ahwahnee in Yosemite was transformed into a military hospital for recovering vets during much of the war. There are some amazing photos in the Yosemite Research Library of the tents set up on the Ahwahnee lawns.

Lone Hiker,
    I was a seasonal national park ranger for ten summers starting out in fire management for three summers and finally working my way up to a GS-5 and an interp job. (My first season in interp, one of this blog's editors was my room mate.) As a park ranger, I earned the NPS Special Achievement Award and was considered highly capable by my supervisors. I worked directly with the public in high-volume parks and VCs on the front lines while trying to work my way into a permanent position, which never happened. I just re-read my journal from 7 years ago, and the frustration was apparent. I gave myself until 30 to get a permanent job or get out of the service (due to lack of health care, money, and stability). I dragged it out until age 32 and am now (very happily) teaching (I am so relieved not to be a seasonal ranger). I worked directly with other "grunts", especially those in resource management. Often, as a seasonal, I was separated from upper management, especially in larger parks. Upper management, I felt by their treatment of us, viewed seasonals with contempt and disdain. I still remember the chief ranger at one park screaming at his subordinate over the radio to "Keep the seasonals off the radio!" during an emergency situation in which we (seasonals) were involved. I also remember many workers saying things like, "Good 'nuff for gov'rment work!"

For a time, I was bitter and disgruntled about not getting the permanent job, about having my life put at risk because of profit and incompetence, about the severe disorganization, about the power hungry Gestapo, and so on. I broke down and freaked out. Later, I wanted to understand more about why government doesn't function and discovered the book "Goverment's End" by Jonathan Rauch. It's not leftist or rightist or even completely libertarian. It opened my eyes, and since reading the book, I've spoken out against the calcification of our government, the NPS included. No longer bitter, I simply want what's best for the places I consider sacred, and I don't think political management and funding of national parks is what's best.

A big distinction that needs to be made is that in a business the "misused" funds were obtained through voluntary transactions. The government, on the other hand, gets their monies through coercion. Every April 15th you had better be paid up to Big Brother or face the seizure of your assets or sent to a federal prison. Doesn't exactly build a basis for accountability, now does it?

Also, continued "misuse" of funds in the private sector will ultimately result in the failure and insolvency of the business in question. In the government "misusing" funds usually brings about a multiplicity of non-consequential responses such as, but not limited to: oversight hearings, threats of funding cut-offs and suggestions for more stringent guidelines concerning the oversight of the given spending. Why just in today's headlines we can read: Millions Wasted on Government Travel

Does anyone really expect these misused funds to be recovered? Will anyone lose their job over this? I know I'm tossing softballs but bear with me.

The point is that what we see in the NPS is part of a much larger systemic rot and corruption that pervades the entire framework of the federal government. People like Anon have come to accept the coercive theft and then the misuse of this ill gotten wealth as if it were par for the course in the accepted norms of human behavior. I beg to differ and am sure that this person does not accept the persistent misuse of their own private wealth. Anon certainly can't afford too. None of us can.

Just a clarification.

By the way, what's this garbage?

misused funds are inevitable, whether an agency or a corporation or a small business. only the nps, successful or not, has the best intentions in managing our parks.

Mismanagement is inevitable? Poor accounting practices are inevitable? Lack of accountability in inevitable?

Boy am I glad I never had you in MY employ! Maybe the author intended to use the term misguided or misdirected, but I can't stand behind the term misused. Since often times priorities become realigned between the times budgets are submitted and receive final approval and are actually funded, it could be possible that some line items were "reprioritized" in favor of preceived more immediate or more critical concerns, but that's not misuse in my neighborhood. I'd appreciate a bit more of specific definition and notable instances of where monies were misused. Then we can dissect the beast.

From what I have heard, this could be foul play.

"And business references generally pass along high marks, especially on someone there's looking to cut bait with, so what good is that?"

Touche'!

I don't think your lack of succinctness is a blot on your answer. It obviously required more than a few cursory sentences. Keep up the thinking. I will too.

I'm not into reference checks. I trust your personal references wouldn't say anything to reflect negatively on your esteemed character. And business references generally pass along high marks, especially on someone there's looking to cut bait with, so what good is that?

The overview of the gig seems respectable enough. It's a pity what upper-management can do, intentionally or not, to create an environment such that decent people are exposed to a level of frustration, irritation, stress, incompetence, and nonchalance that leaving is the best option. It's a regular happening in education, business, and, believe it or not, government of all places! That's why we're stuck with this intolerable level of mediocrity at the federal level; the few honest and decent folk who managed to achieve victory in general elections were run out of town for refusing to be bent over the table and compromise their ideals (and campaign promises) in favor of some idiot committee chairman who's bank accounts are lined by the lobbyists and special interest groups. It's a guarantee that any "lifer" in our Congress plays into this dirty game. And the longer they've been there, the dirtier they become. These are not just my opinions mind you, but the resulting theory of an ex-Senator who resigned after one session of direct interaction within this cesspool. My long-standing suspicions were confirmed by this person, and who better to testify for the prosecution than an eye-witness? There I go, digressing again........sorry.

There are many methods of overhauling a system. Some "tweaks" are simple and generally lend to short-term improvement but usually don't have the staying power. I'm not quite so sure that even a thorough overhaul, from policy-maker status down to kitchen attendant (sorry about that you in the service trade) would be enough to redirect a sinking Titanic away from the iceberg. Those type of sweeping, system-wide modification generally take quite literally, years, to have any real impact. I question the time-frame in which we're working. Personally, I don't believe there are years enough, and generally I'm rather patient. But time is running out, especially if you follow the environmental change hypothesis. My grand plan(s) will take a bit more space to lay out, but suffice to say that for the radical, department wide gutting that really needs to be done, the best way is a multi-faceted approach taking all the tools that have been working against us and redirecting them. This is, after all, a business, and as a business it needs to be managed like any other world-class venture. Everything must be reviewed and revamped, from management to budget controls, finding new funding sources to marketing the product, legal and accounting issues, research projects, environmental issues, hiring, training and retention of quality employees, planning and possible expansion issues, working in conjunction with, as opposed to, other national land management teams and divisions. The list is quite complex, but so is the problem. But in a nutshell, let's say it's centered around putting the public lands back into the public's hands......not a bad sound bite, eh? I'll keep you posted.

I'm certain you answered my question more succinctly than I did yours.

I ended my career as a mid-level supervisor. I was a naturalist by trade but ended up in the ranger division, so I did it all. I had interaction with all levels of management including some detailed projects with the folks at the NPS Center in Harpers Ferry as well as dealings with bigwigs in WASO. My career was marked by merit awards and promotion, I was quite the team player, just ask the Haunted Hiker, she knows me well (if you are in need of a reference check). Let me put it this way, I was the one that the superintendent chose to take visiting bigwigs on a tour of my park.

Does that answer your question Lone Hiker?

What actions do you propose?