• Is the Bear "Hunt" in Katmai National Preserve Sporting or Ethical?   6 years 47 weeks ago

Frank, you're going impartial on us? I'll give you my signature in advance of WHATEVER comments you all care to make on this issue. I don't believe that there could possibly exist too much language that I wouldn't stand behind on this pathetic, spineless, underhanded deal cut with another loony special interest group. How's that for a start?

• Death Valley Looking to Electronic Rangers to Raise Money, Lure Younger Generations   6 years 47 weeks ago

Good day Lee-

My given profession in cancer research, more specifically in the drug discovery arena. As such, technology is not something I shy away from, and as a friend told me years ago, "man should embrace technological advances and utilize the tools available to him to his own unique best advantage, not be intimidated by them".
    My comments, as I mentioned a few times above, have less to do with technology in the parks as the fear that they by misused and visitors become dependent on gizmos and lose their self-reliance. GPS route-finders on the trails, I fear, will encourge too many under-equipped visits into the nether-reaches, as people even now ignore the warning to be properly prepared, physically, mentally, and equipment-wise, over-rating their ability to successfully conqueor such barren areas due to the fact that they carry this "security blanket" with them, completely ignoring the fact that getting lost is the LEAST of their concerns. I understand that this type of instrument is 180 degrees from what you have proposed, but too many times I've experienced the scenario that "if A, then B", and I can envision what you might call the natural progression of the beast. Once these devices are deemed successful, as I imagine they will be to some extent, the next logical step would be to expand on the uses of the technology, once it is in place. It called cost-effective planning and execution. I'm just hoping that someone realizes BEFORE undue stress is placed on an admittedly understaffed group of rangers what they're opening the doors to in the future, and make provisions to monitor, control and limit the advancement of technology before Pandora's Box is left wide open.

I would gladly experiment with your device. As a matter of fact, I'm quite looking forward to the opportunity. Then at least I can lend an informed opinion. Worst come to worst, at least I'll be on the trail again!

As someone who lives in Alaska and who has testified at the last 2 board of game meetings on the hunting in this area- I can tell you the bottom line is its the Alaska Outdoors Council and the Board of Game (B.O.G.). Ron Summerville the former chair of the B.O.G. blames bear viewers for habituating these bears then complaining about hunting- well that means that only bear hunters can use these areas by his logic. You can't ethically fish or camp or bear view in these areas as long as the BOG allows this stuff to continue. Sarah Pallin said on the radio that she wouldn't allow bears that use McNeil River to be hunted. She clearly isn't living up to her promise because these bears very likely use McNeil.

This reminds me of Timothy Tredwell (Grizzly Man) and what he was fighting against. The video is sickening.

I realize this site is more about impartial reporting of stories about national parks, but I would encourage the editors to turn into advocates on this issue. Perhaps the editors, contributers, and readers of NPT could send a unified letter and/or message to the appropriate managers and congressional representatives expressing our outrage and disgust and this blatant violation of the Organic Act and mismanagement of our national park.

Good Day,
    I am Lee Little the developer of the GPS Ranger.

I too enjoy Ranger led talks and try to attend as many of these as possible. However one day at a National Park I was unable to find a Park Ranger to ask a question. I was frustrated. This lead me to start thinking about how technology could be used to relay the messages of the Park. Remember, I just wanted an answer to a simple question. This frustration lead to me to realize that the NPS maps dont' have alot of information either. So if I can't get a park ranger, what is the next best thing ?

Honestly I hate technology. But I like information, especially information about a Park that I have never been to. This is the fundamental theory behind the GPS Ranger. The GPS Ranger is a video player that triggers in front of a point of interest. We work with the National Parks and their interpretive personnel. In the process we video tape the "experts" and our system delivers their message. It is their tour. We offer a tool that helps them deliver their message. We have two goals when we develop a tour, they are, deliever a quality experience and make money for the Parks.

The goal of our system is to offer an educational tour for visitors that they most likely would not have gotten given the cut backs in staffing in our National treasures. Did you know that the GPS Ranger tour in Death Valley has over 3 hours of video content all approved by the Death Valley interpretive staff ?

We have designed our system to give back to the parks. We want the system to be a money maker for the parks. This money in turn goes back into other interpretive programs.

I would encourage those on this blog to try our products and tell us what you think....you can visit us at www.gpsranger.com.

Lee Little

You're absolutely correct John, we need to have a new interpretation of the 2nd amendment and the right to arm bears.

P.S.- Life is indeed cheap.

Thanks Robert.......I was wondering how much graft it took to grease the proper paws at the local park offices.

"Fair chase," my ass. These fat bastards are likely lazy Texans wankers who can't walk to the 7-11 let alone be alone with themselves and the bears in the backcountry.
    The Park Service demonstrates again that this Bush Administration is the worst thing to happen to sportsmen since PETA. When will Republican sportsmen take their heads out of their asses and realize that these people are the worst enemy of all that is good about hunting and fishing. No more excuses--the sportsmen community must wake up and take responsibility--the more you elect these f***ing morons under the guise of the 2nd amendment, the more you get this kind of result. Disgusting.

Like Chris I am mad!
    I have had an air taxi out of homer for 40 years.I started taking people to see Bears at McNeil River in 1962,working for another outfit.
    Never had anyone threatened by these animals...we didn't bother them and they didn;t bother us.
    At each Game Board meeting in Anchorage we have pleaded for justice for these decent animals.
    Lately we begged the Parks system to place these bears off limits...lately because of an overkill of bears in the area in which this movie was taken.
    They can place the area off limits based on the overkill of past sasons...but they haven't.
    I pointed out to them that they are,unlike the State of Alaska,answerable to all the people of the United States; it is a National Park!!
    This is not stewardship.
    The damage is done, to this area; hunters will find other easily hunted animals,and people to guide them and pilots to fly them.Blame the Outdoor Council,Alaska Board of Game,National Parks, and the owners of that land; us...!!

I enjoy fishing and have been to Katmai numerous times and to Lake Clark nearby but now I realize that it is unethical to fish or even visit these parks as long as they are going to allow hunting. These trophy hunters pay around $15,000 to hunt a bear so a guide can make $105,000 in a day. And a lot of these guides and hunters are from out of state many hunters are from other countries. Some one needs to talk to the Alaska Outdoors Council they are the biggest lobbists for these hunts, they are the key people behind all of this.

Hey Kurt and Jeremy could you get us some names and numbers of who in the NPS approved this public slaughter? I am in the process of contacting my Congressional representatives and would like more specific information if it is available.

Some cozy NPS careers should soon be in deep jeopardy, starting at the top with Mary Bomar. If after seeing this hideous display of mismanagement she does not act swiftly and severely then I am prepared to begin a campaign for her removal as the head of the agency. Whomever signed off on this disgusting spectacle must be censured or even removed from the responsibility of resource stewardship that has been entrusted to them.

This was appalling and exceedingly cruel. Who are the bozos in charge?

What a disgusting display of selfish and unsportsman like idiocy. And I mean both the NPS and the hunters—I'm just not sure who piss me off more.

My family has traveled to Alaska for 2 summers now and had the time of our lives bearviewing in Katmai National Park this past summer. We realize hunting will be a part of society, but to allow 2 commercial endeavors to take place with the same animals is appalling. There is plenty of room in Alaska to hunt, so make it a fair hunt. Don't collect millions of dollars during one season to turn around and collect more money on the same animals. What a poor excuse for hunting. Hunters should be ashamed. This is nothing more than bait hunting. The animals didn't even have a chance.

Let me first state that I don't hunt. Never have, probably never will. I'm just a urbanized homonid who gets my meat from the grocery store, or once in a while a local buffalo ranch or private farm. I do, however, know plenty of hunters and serious fishermen, who take pride in their knowledge, abilities, equipment, and love the spirit of the sport, along with the interaction between preditor and prey. No serious fisherman that I know utilized the sport-fishing technology that includes range finders, depth finders, water temperature meters, and the sporadic stray piece of dynamite or speargun. True hunters differ from sportsmen, and that can be gauged by the amount meat in one's freezer versus the number of heads mounted on the wall. And truth be known, the most respectable hunters of all are those of the bow. Any novice with a high-powered rifle can down a critter from 400 yds, drive over on their ATV and drag it out to the processing plant. Some accomplishment. And somehow they actually derive some sense of pride, power, dominance and achieve the ever-popular testosterone rush. Please don't tell me about how much effort you put into packing your own loads, obtaining the latest in winter camouflage gear, spread deer urine all over you face, clean your weapon and sharpen your skills by hunting squirrels with an AK-47. Hunting what are almost domesticated animals qualifies as hunting? This isn't hunting, it's a way to gather collectibles. Show up, pay your fee, and take home a mug for your collection. Some sport.

Park and wildlife managment is generally very good in Alaska. So what are the NPS thinking?? Hunting and bear viewing don't mix. And only one of them is truly sustainable. Despite being unsporting hunting an habituated Bear, where is the hunting/gun etiquette?? Shooting towards people?? Now it is on the internet sadly the NPS judgement is open to the world.

I am a longtime Alaskan, subsistence hunter, and avid naturalist. I have made multi-day visits to areas of Katmai National Park very close to where these bears are being shot. In fact, it's likely that I--like thousands of other park visitors--have watched these same animals. It is true that the bears are almost completely fearless, and visitors often have to move out of the bears' way rather than vice versa. I find this hunt absoultely appalling and unconscionable. All of us who love and support our National Parks should send this link to every friend who may join us in protesting the Katmai bear hunt. This practice defiles the reputation of America's national park and profoundly violates every principle of ethical hunting. It has to be stopped.

• Centennial Projects: Fighting Mosquitoes in Grand Teton National Park   6 years 47 weeks ago

More bats and dragonflies... that oughta do it.

i'm a hunter (bow: deer, elk) and while i don't support hunting bears, watching those fat slob losers hunt a habituated park bear in that entirely disrespectful manner makes me sick. might as well go on safari at a zoo. nice job, nps!

Kurt & Jeremy: This is pure slob hunting at it's worse. It's pathetic and sad commentary that the NPS allowed such a cruel and open act of senseless killing of a poor animal without a CHASE. Almost like a sitting duck pond for these slob hunters to pick off a defenseless animal. But, to take the skin and head of the bear for trophy, and let the rest rot in a open field is beyond ethical practices of sane hunter. This demands a full public participation and forum to bring attention to the nature in how these bear slaughters are conducted.

People shouldn't be watching a video screen while they're driving around a battlefield site or anywhere else for that matter.
    Here's another recent attempt by NPS to "electronify" and replace real people. I like this better than the $15 gizmos for several reasons -- it can be done in any number of languages very inexpensively, there's not a lot of investment in new technology, it's invisible to the park, and there's no inherent profit motive in serving the park visitors. They may have trouble with such a plan in remote places with no cell service though.

<><><><><><><><><><>

National Park Service Introduces New Lincoln Memorial Educational Guide

Washington D.C. – Beginning Wednesday, August 29, 2007 the National Park Service (NPS) with support from Eastern National, a cooperating association of the NPS, will begin offering free interpretive Ranger talks via telephone. These new Lincoln Memorial talks are organized around many themes including, “The Gettysburg Address”, “Debunking the Myths of the Lincoln Memorial”, and the “Life and Times of Lincoln the Man”. Ranger talks can be heard by dialing (202) 747-3420. The National Mall & Memorial Parks, a unit of the NPS which operates the Lincoln Memorial, presents Ranger programs at the Memorial daily from 9:30 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. With the introduction of free telephone educational talks, the public will be able to learn more about President Abraham Lincoln and his memorial 24 hours a day from any location. “We are excited to make the legacy of President Lincoln even more accessible to the public,” stated Rosanna Weltzin, Site Manager for National Mall Operations for the National Mall & Memorial Parks.

The recorded messages use Guide By Cell developed technology to offer visitors a range of talks varying in length from two minutes to just under six minutes depending upon topic. The NPS plans to evaluate the success of this program and will be considering adding free telephone educational programs for more National Mall visitor sites, such as the World War II Memorial, in the future. Information about the free programs and the telephone number will be posted at the Lincoln Memorial and is listed on the NPS Lincoln Memorial website, www.nps.gov/linc.

• NPS Officially Comes Out Against North Shore Road at Great Smoky Mountains National Park   6 years 47 weeks ago

I applaud and fully support the NPS decision, but one thing concerns me:

I have not yet read the entire document (two of the three sections I've accessed have not downloaded successfully), but my impression is that the FEIS still maintains that the road would not be an "impairment" of either the Appalachian Trail or the Great Smoky Park. I protested this claim in the DEIS, comparing it to the NewSpeak invented by George Orwell in "1984". And there's the same claim in the FEIS, with the same lack of justification.

• Freak Rockfall Kills Colorado Couple At Glen Canyon NRA   6 years 47 weeks ago

Don't worry the Colorado River has a long range dam destruction plan which won't need to be signed off on by the regional office or WASO.

Maybe 'we' should return Glen Canyon back to it's original state, find the man's body and clean up everything else
    that might be down there....

god called them home. may they rest in peace together,forever. in jesus name