You are here

All Recent Comments

Meet The Press: National Park Service Director Addresses National Press Club

Aug 2nd - 16:02pm | d-2

The knee-jerk, naming calling responses by the usual suspects, and also the comments by Ethical Retired Ranger (ERR), are full of angst but little light.

Aug 2nd - 14:52pm | Rebecca Latson ...

Dear Anonymous.  Last I heard, the NPS was staffed by not only men, but women as well.  Sexual harrassment is unwelcome, highly unproductive, creates an atmosphere of low morale, low productivity, and general fear on the women's part of losing their jobs because some yahoo is threatening their livelihood.  Oh yeah, and it pisses women llike me off.

Aug 2nd - 13:41pm | Anonymous

With everything going on in the NP's were going to focus on sexual harrasment.   GIVE ME A BREAK!!!!

Aug 2nd - 10:40am | Ethical Retired...

If I was a National Park Service employee being sexually harassed, the last thing I would utilize would be Jarvis' hotline.  Will his hotline be monitored by NPS Human Resources, one of the most reviled of such departments in the entire Federal service?  Maybe he can give some credible assurance that hotline complainants will remain anonymous, and not forwarded to the alleged cul

Aug 2nd - 09:18am | tahoma

"The way I view this is when the public comes to national parks, something happens. Yes, it can be somewhat overwhelming for our employees, which is the state of the art right now."

Aug 2nd - 09:07am | SmokiesBackpacker

"...and I've set a standard with my senior leadership." Yes, Jon, you surely have.  A standard of deception, falsification of scientific data, retribution for whistleblowers and ethics lapses that would make Nixon proud. Not to mention your personal arrogance that seems to be giving Trump a run for his money.  You surely have set an unmatchable standard.

Aug 2nd - 08:41am | ecbuck

"We understand our maintenance backlog at sort of an excruitating level of detail. We really, really know this down to the brick," Please share that information with us.

Texas Man Sentenced To Jail For Carving Initials Into Roosevelt Arch At Yellowstone National Park

Aug 2nd - 14:59pm | Anita

Without a doubt, this idiot deserves much more jail time and a more hefty fine.

Jul 29th - 22:23pm | Gary B.

Hanging's too good for the likes of him.

Jul 29th - 11:11am | Waco

Actually, he should be hanged.

Jul 29th - 10:13am | Otis

You should have to be forced to travel back to Wyoming and spend the time in jail at his own expense

Jul 29th - 09:27am | Marlene Puaoi

Three days may be all that the law allows. If not, this sentence is woefully insufficient. He should spend more days cleaning up after people like himself.

Jul 29th - 08:48am | Chuck

Come on people! Lets stop acting like Texans!

Jul 28th - 13:46pm | Wayne martin

get used to it . You soon may see the word trump caraved into all our national treasures

Jul 27th - 19:42pm | Kris

...any day is "inconvenient". Good on the folks At Yellowstone. The published embarrassment is enough punishment, but 3 days will do. Those calling for harsher may or may not have done more stupid things in their young adult lives to warrant a punishment they may or may not have received. I know I did.  From a Texan.

Jul 27th - 18:49pm | Brian Watson

I think that he should serve his 3 days in the local county jail. Make those 3 days inconvenient.

Jul 27th - 18:02pm | Whatsthe world ...

He gets 3 days in jail which isn't enough but the same amount of time a guy 2 weeks ago for kicking a dog to death....

Jul 27th - 17:18pm | Geni C.

What a thoughtless act. Three days is not enough time for him to think about his destructive  behavior.

Jul 27th - 16:59pm | Susan D.

Would have liked to see him ordered to clean up his own damage as well as spending at least a week working with park staff to clean up other grafitti, litter, toilets, whatever.

Jul 27th - 16:30pm | Gwen

I agree....three days and $250 fine is not enough punishment .... the Code of Federal Regulations is 3 - 6 months! Under the Code of Federal Regulations, it is prohibited to destroy, injure, deface, or damage national park property. Vandalism of national parks is a federal misdemeanor, and is punishable by three to six months in prison and as much as a $500 fine.

The Hour Of Land: A Personal Topography Of America’s National Parks

Aug 2nd - 14:56pm | Lee Dalton

I just finished reading this book.  Excellent.  And I can certainly see why Utah's politcal power brokers who control the U's purse strings wanted her out.

Colorful Mount Rainier

Aug 2nd - 12:32pm | Scott Vogt

Wow!  My brother is a published photographer!

Conversation With A Concessionaire: Running The Pisgah Inn On The Blue Ridge Parkway

Aug 2nd - 11:07am | Pat Smith

We love the Pisgah Inn!  The views are incredible.  The food is very good. My only regret:  They have become so popular, I couldn't get a reservation in mid October (and I inquired in June)!

Mudslide Maroons Some Denali National Park Visitors

Aug 2nd - 01:34am | les

I built that wall it's 150' long they're being conservative

Aug 1st - 15:40pm | Lee Dalton

It's hard to imagine a better place to be stranded.  Sure beats the side of an Interstate highway at rush hour.

Aug 1st - 09:18am | John Woodmansee

I was a member of a Wedding Party at Wonder Lake. The Brides Parents, Ford and Karen Reeves of Denali fed and provided beverages for the stranded tourists. It was Old Fashioned American Hospitality at its best!

Centennial Series | Reading Wendell Berry In The National Parks

Aug 1st - 22:48pm | me276418

You defined Nature's authority as steming from serving as mediator between God and man, while constantly hinting it is man's responsibility to serve Nature by being responsible stewards.  Modern Man characteristically acts like he is superior to Nature, but poets like Berry and Whitman insist on the "authority" of nature.  In your opinion Dr.

Aug 1st - 11:01am | Harryb3570

I will add this book to my library on National Park Service books.

Did Someone Borrow The National Park Service Centennial Logo On The Way To The Democratic National Convention?

Jul 31st - 22:26pm | E.S.

Sure!  For example, these guys: And these guys:

Jul 31st - 15:39pm | Alfred Runte

Thanks, EC!

Jul 31st - 14:01pm | ecbuck

Al - with your platform, I'd vote for you.

Jul 30th - 13:17pm | rmackie

Well Alfred, I like it.

Jul 30th - 11:59am | Alfred Runte

Maybe someone will steal my logo.

Jul 30th - 11:52am | Mad Man

Yes, and had Donald Trump done the "borrowing," you can bet the Democrats would have let out a howl. But hey. A zero can be replaced with anything, including another zero.

Jul 30th - 11:42am | Colleen H Bjerke

Now that's a controversy! Thanks so much for bringing it to our attention. Seriously guys, find something to do.

Jul 30th - 10:42am | Rick B.

There are similarities; I don't see sameness.

Entrance Fees Generate Hundreds of Millions of Dollars A Year for National Park Service

Jul 31st - 20:42pm | Yosemite Sam

U.S. Picks Concessionaire for Yosemite Park (1992)

When Did Dancing In The Thomas Jefferson Memorial Become A Crime?

Jul 31st - 15:36pm | Nichole

Amen to that. Such a shame people have to cause a scene and throw a fit when it does nothing for them.

Jul 31st - 15:31pm | Nichole

When you back talk the police, refuse to comply with heir orders, resist arrest, etc., you are asking for trouble. These people were idiots and were asking for it. No I do not think dancing anywhere should be a crime as long as it is done resoectfuly, but the rules are the rules and people need to respect authority PERIOD!

Lifetime "Senior" and "Access" Park Passes Now Available By Mail

Jul 30th - 13:32pm | Nancy

I would like to buy s senior pass for a couple of my brothers as gifts. Am I able to do that if I have proof of their agea?

National Park Service Leadership Team Explains Zero Tolerance Sexual Harassment Policy

Jul 29th - 20:56pm | Ethical Retired...

At least Also Anonymous's Human Relations Specialist was honest, and not pretending to be the employee's friend and confidant like mine was. Like Also Anonymous, I asked for advice on how to handle my supervisor, who among other things was drinking on duty. Nothing was done about this for years because the Superintendent liked him.

Jul 29th - 15:41pm | Also Anonymous ...

Many years ago, a kind Employee Relations Specialist in the late, lamented Pacific Northwest Region told me - when I went to talk to him about my supervisor, who once said that he had to have women on staff so that the "homo-gene" would not be passed if we were needed to give CPR to male individuals - that he wanted me to be very clear on his role: He could advise me.

Jul 28th - 13:00pm | Ethical Retired...

I agree with both responses to my post.  The NPS Personnel Officer who broke a promise of confidentiality 30 years ago, and went straight to the person who I had serious concerns about taught me a valuable lesson, never trust them.

Jul 28th - 10:34am | tahoma

It is a common misconception that Human Resources has some allegiance to employees.They serve one master: management.That is as it should be. Their task is to put workers in jobs, maximizing efficiency and minimizing cost.

Jul 27th - 16:22pm | another anonymo...

The accused sexual harraser still working at the Grand Canyon is still there because of the fact that just because he's accused, he was  not convicted.  Matter of fact, since he filed a EEO complaint against the twerking Pe$3s straw girls, to punish him would be viewed as retribution for him filing a complaint, matter of fact, the complaintaints going to Sally Jewell to

Traveler's View: Park Service's Zero Tolerance Policy Good Step Forward, But Not Without Challenges

Jul 28th - 08:45am | Someonewhocares

As Anonymous stated above, a Performance Improvement Plan is for performance, not for misconduct. Dealing with misconduct is a separate process from dealing with performance issues. Depending on what the first offense is, penalties can be up to dismissal from the agency for a first misconduct offense.

Sexual Harassment Chapter At Grand Canyon National Park Leads Superintendent To Retire

Jul 28th - 07:47am | Virginia Woolf

I am just a citizen that wrote emails to end the sexual harassment of employees.  I am so happy to hear that changes have been made.  I hope the employees continue to speak out when problems are not handled.  This is the only way the general public will be able to have any influence.  I was glad to hear a report on our local radio news here in Arizona 7-27-16 that other park

Centennial Series | How Strong Is A Conservation Mandate In National Park Service Legislation?*

Jul 27th - 19:57pm | RodF

The 1916 Organic Act is scarcely the last, nor is it the strongest, legislation directing Park conservation.  Its conservation goal is "for the enjoyment of future generations".  The Wilderness Act and legislation designating specific Parks are perhaps more significant.

National Parks Are Managed In Very Inconsistent Ways...Or Are They?

Jul 27th - 18:53pm | ecbuck

informed by three decades in NPS leadership, are scarcely "unsubstantiated hearsay".

Jul 27th - 16:40pm | pete345

More on death valley, two events, death valley 49ers and the ultramarothon. parks sevice likes to change policy depending on managment, localy and federel. the 49ers were spopped from there long time horse driven wagon train. the runners were stopped from running during the day. Both these changes were done for "safety", but there were no previous incedents to justify there changes!

National Parks Traveler's Essential Park Guide