You are here

All Recent Comments

Musings From Redwood National And State Parks

Oct 16th - 23:47pm | Rick B.

Nice thoughtful observations about Carey and William, Lee. Thanks for the comments.

Oct 16th - 15:19pm | Red Woods

One thing overlooked by NPS are the needs of the disabled and seniors. Enderts Point trail and overlook have no restrooms. The trail entrance south blocks electric mobility scooters and could be fixed in one hour. Other trails along Enderts beach road are not maintained for the handicapped. NPS has failed to respond to these problems many time. NO response.

$7.5 Million Worth Of Pot Pulled Out Of Sequoia National Park

Oct 16th - 16:15pm | ecbuck

If was for you because they were addressing 2 of your comments.  One, that the price was high so people would still buy illegal pot.  May have been the case when first legalized but Adams Smith's invisible hand has worked its magic (as it always does) and the price has dropped dramatically making illegal supplies unattractive.

Oct 16th - 14:32pm | Siglin1

Thanks for the references EC but why just for me? I said nothing about being anti marijuana, just concern about growing it on public lands which I hope doesn't continue. And as one article implies we better be legalizing heroin and cocaine before it moves onto public lands. If fact let's decriminaiize all drugs including steroids for atheletes.

Oct 16th - 14:20pm | Alfred Runte

My friend Richard Schrock, who is running for Washington State Insurance Commissioner, can tell you all about the Affordable Health Care Act. The problem is: He is running as a Republican, and every liberal newspaper just doesn't want to hear it. In 2017, Baby bar the door. Richard points out that those so-called affordable premiums will jump an average of 67 percent.

Oct 16th - 10:12am | ecbuck

For Siglin http://www.westword.com/news/why-marijuana-prices-at-colorado-dispensari...

Oct 16th - 09:58am | ecbuck

Yeah, $129 million on a state budget of $25 billion.  Real boom - not counting the costs.  Not that I have any issue with legalization.  I just wish it were nation wide at the federal level.  Then we wouldn't have all the deadbeat moving to Colorado.

Oct 15th - 18:12pm | Rick B.

And from everything I've read the governmental revenues in Colorado have done quite a wonder in paying for schools and other social needs. I never heard much about "make the cartels go away", but I don't live there.

Oct 15th - 17:50pm | Siglin 1

Lat year I visited a pot dispensary in Denver, not to buy some, but out of curiosity. The young lady showed me some glass jars and gave me the prices. I don't remember the exact cost but it was high and she told me she went through two a day. How she afforded it I cannot imagine and won't speculate as Donald Trump would do.

Oct 15th - 17:19pm | ecbuck

Alfred, I doubt the cartels are growing in the Washington National Forests.  The legalization has taken out the profitability.  But contrary to the predictions the cartels would be eliminated with legalization, they just moved on to more powerful drugs such as meth.  Just like Capone didn't go away when Prohibition ended, he just went on to gambling and prostitution.

Oct 15th - 14:49pm | Alfred Runte

Granted, the so-called War on Drugs has been a failure, as the history of Prohibition indeed forewarned us it would be. It's just that, from where I sit, I see that always used as an excuse. Wild places makes the critical observation that there are not enough arrests. At least keep the cartels off the public lands, right? But no, what began 50 years ago was allowed to spread.

Oct 15th - 07:12am | wild places

I've read a number of articles like this and am curious. Often there is no mention of any arrests only pulling up and destroying the plants. Do they not also arrest the growers and if not why? Is it lack of resources, too dangerous or do these articles just not mention the arrests?

Oct 14th - 20:22pm | rmackie

Mrnranger, that is my experience also.

Oct 14th - 20:08pm | Mrnranger

Alfred-I never said MJ wasn't being grown in parks and public lands in California prior to 9/11, I've been an LE park ranger for over 20 years. But in the early to mid 2000s the scale of the operations changed dramatically.  Early in my career a big grow in my region, SF Bay Are, would have been a few hundred plants and the growers were locals.

Oct 14th - 19:25pm | Gary Wilson

I've read studies from Colorado that stated that the legalization there hasn't exactly curtailed the cartels from growing it in the national forest regions.  Their market just is no longer strong in Colorado but bordering states.

Oct 14th - 18:42pm | rmackie

I think we should legalize marijuana as Colorado has done. There are rural areas in California, especially in the northwest counties where, fundamentally, it already is, de facto of course. A friend that owns a small farm in Humbolt County told me you run for office there you had better not interfere with the local marijuana farmers.

Oct 14th - 16:10pm | Alfred Runte

A previous resident of California (1971-78, 1995), I can assure everyone that pot was being grown in the state's national parks and national forests LONG before 9/11 and the so-called heightened border security that followed. Whole sections of the national forests in particular were being labeled "dangerous" even 25 years ago.

Oct 14th - 15:38pm | ed123

Sell it ust the money for the parks.

Oct 14th - 15:06pm | Mrnranger

Having been involved in the investigation of these types of DTO grows on public lands in California a border wall would only make the situation worse. The large scale Mexican DTO trespass grows only became a major issue after 9/11 and the resulting increase in border security. When that happened the cartels realized it was easier to grow MJ in the US than try to smuggle it over the border.

Oct 14th - 12:09pm | Dick

Build the Wall!

Glimpse The Solitary Life Of A Fire Lookout In Redwood National Park

Oct 16th - 12:13pm | Lee Dalton

That's just GREAT!  Thanks for sharing it with us.

Site Of Sir Francis Drake's Ship Grounding Honored At Point Reyes National Seashore

Oct 15th - 16:05pm | Garry Gitzen

Totally Bogus.  Drake never saw California.  He anchored in Nehalem Bay, Oregon.

National Park Basics For RVing Newbies

Oct 15th - 11:39am | Cherie

Don't worry about tunnels there huge tour buses go through we were just there no problem we had 40ft RV

National Parks: Going To The Dogs!

Oct 15th - 07:06am | wild places

I consider myself Dog neutral but it is extremely annoying to me when dog owners feel the laws don't apply to them. Ignoring leash laws, ignoring posted areas and yes not picking up after their pets. For whatever reason dog owners seem to have a very big percentage of people who think the laws don't apply to them.

Oct 14th - 21:33pm | ecbuck

Oct 14th - 12:27pm | rmackie

Really nice post Gary. I have had two dogs, Lab, German S. mix. both I have had to put down, one 8 years ago, one two months ago. Had them at different times, both adopted. They were just wonderful trail dogs.

Oct 14th - 11:26am | Gary Wilson

When I lived in Central Idaho it was commonplace to hike dogs in the wilderness and national forest areas, and heck - that was the culture.  I had a large malamute/husky/wolf hybrid that I trained as a little pup to be my hiking companion, and dang...we hiked everywhere together.

Oct 14th - 10:13am | Lee Dalton

No, I didn't.  But that has no bearing on the fact that irresponsible dog owners are generating a backlash that will come back to bite them and their mutts.  It's not a problem only in national parks. Perhaps we need RESPONSIBLE dog owners to step up and take action because when the backlash hits, they and their pets will be victimized.

Oct 14th - 08:40am | ecbuck

Yes, there are irresponsible owners.  But then there are irresponsible non-owners who fail to clean upafter themselves, who harrass wildlife, who endanger others with improper food storage.  Should we ban all humans from the park?  The answer isn't bannishment, its enforcement.  Did you report the unleashed dogs or failures to clean up to a ranger?

Oct 13th - 22:12pm | Lee Dalton

I just returned home from and extended trip that included Crater Lake, Redwood, and Lassen.  In all three of those parks, I was surprised by the sheer number of dogs traveling with their humans.  Some RVs were carrying three dogs.  I saw one campsite in Lassen with five dogs.  It was also  dismaying to witness the number of dog owners who were simply irresponsible becau

Oct 13th - 18:40pm | ecbuck

I have little sympathy for dog owners who think their pets should have the same rights as children and should be allowed on all trails.

Oct 13th - 17:59pm | Siglin 1

I recently hiked a forest service trail above Flagstaff. I have never seen so many dogs however most were on leash. I must  admit that walking in dog poop is no worse than walking in mule poop and urine. But one of the things I like about national parks is they are about the only place you can get away from dogs and their barking when you are in the backcountry.

Oct 13th - 17:26pm | ecbuck

Yes Tamara, there are trails that would be inappropriate for dogs, including the hike to the Grand Canyon floor.  However the ban is on virtually all trails, most of which wouldn't require a helicoptor if your dog was injured.  Not to mention your dog is probably less likely to be injured than you.

Oct 13th - 16:18pm | Tamara

I have been a long-time supporter and user of national parks, and I'm a first-time dog owner. Maybe I'm missing something because these restrictions don't seem that unreasonable. I've hiked the Grand Canyon twice, and there is no way I would ever take my GSD with me into the canyon because it's too risky.

Random Musings From Great Basin National Park

Oct 14th - 22:58pm | Lee Dalton

Thanks for the information, Nina.  But it's a real bummer.  I can no longer believe I stood on the highest rock in Nevada.  Rats!

Oct 14th - 21:14pm | Nina F

As a major fan of GRBA, I feel obliged to point out that Wheeler Peak (13,063)  is not the tallest mountain in Nevada. Boundary Peak, at 13,147, has that distinction. Wheeler is, however, considered the tallest independent peak in the state.

At New River Gorge National River, an Iconic Bridge Attracts Suicide Jumpers

Oct 14th - 20:47pm | Anonymous

I have lived in the area all my life, and just this morning someone jumped to their death, and no it isn't always publicized occasionally if someone is going acoss the bridge and has time to call the news stations then it may be on the news, and it seems like every year  right at Bridge day  we do hear of someone the week before or the week after has jumped to their death, but usually

Is NPS Getting Ready To Toss Bluffs Lodge On The Scrap Heap?

Oct 14th - 19:04pm | DB

Work is being started to refurbish the Coffee Shop at Bluffs Lodge. More work is planned.

Where Judge Parker Ruled: A Visit To Fort Smith NHS

Oct 14th - 14:47pm | Daniel Hanthorn

I have visited gallows from the 19th century, Tombstone for one. Fun and joy were the furthest emotions from my mind, visiting a somber place where human beings were put to death, and for public entertainment. I just don't see it, or feel it.

A Visit To Missouri National Recreational River

Oct 14th - 14:39pm | Harry Westcott

While a graduate student at USD, we did a canoe trip from Yankton to Vermillion under the direction of Oscar Howe who narrated our journey, telling us of the Sioux traditions and special places along the Missouri.  Now, many years later, it is heart warming to see that portiaon of the river coming under protection.  Let's foster progress to see it fully realized.

UPDATED: Company Applies For Permit To Build Oil Refinery Near Theodore Roosevelt National Park

Oct 14th - 08:43am | ecbuck

I think that Alfred's point is that the supposed "protection" doesn't necessarily protect.  And I would submit that the exploitation of resources doesn't necessarily defile.

Oct 13th - 23:20pm | rmackie

Alfred, not sure I understand your post. You have in the past  pointed out the issue of population growth and all the development needed to support that growth. I agree. I also agree it is not in the interest of the corporate oligarchy and those "experts" that support it, for political or other reasons, to protect our public lands.

Oct 13th - 18:01pm | Alfred Runte

"Our best experts" is a term meaning what? That they are right because we call them experts? Would we ever call someone "our worst expert?" If not, we should simply stick with "experts," yes? In that case, what makes someone an expert? Is it enough simply to hold a Ph.D.?

Oct 13th - 17:11pm | ecbuck

our best experts already have. They haven't explained why they have been so terribly wrong.  Perhaps you would like to try.

Oct 13th - 11:40am | Todd N

Sorry dude, when the best and brightest scientists in the world say it's so, that's who I'm going with. Not ecbuck on the comment boards of the internet. I don't need to explain it, our best experts already have.

Entrance, Camping Fees Going Up At Death Valley National Park

Oct 13th - 17:11pm | Jdocter7

We have camping reservations beginning 10/17--prepaid, of course.  Will we be required to pay more when we arrive, or are our reservations grandfathered in at the rate when we made them months ago?

Oct 13th - 12:50pm | Anonymous

"I would love for all services in parks to be free. However, visitor fees provide revenue that helps us enhance visitors' experiences in the park," said Death Valley Superintendent Mike Reynolds.   Do you work for free? Is your pension free? Is the maintenance free? Love the Parks, hate that mindset. They are a great bargain at a more than reasonable cost.

Stormy Forecast Has Olympic National Park Shutting Things Down, Mount Rainier Visitors Warned

Oct 13th - 14:06pm | Rick B.

Living just outside North Cascades NP, we're replacing generator cables and taking appropriate steps. Forecasts for the PNW sound dramatic.

Study Identifies Places And Events Associated With LGBTQ Community

Oct 13th - 11:55am | Rick B.

The NPS is a leading agency for preserving and presenting both the natural and the cultural history of the nation. Both are under attack. It is a sad fact that recent political movements have enabled the homophobes and other bigots to crawl out from under their rocks and present their faces. I'm happy to see the NPS taking these actions.

Oct 13th - 10:42am | wild places

What a colossal and inappropriate waste of time and money.  The NPS (and the country for that matter) has truly lost its collective mind.

National Parks Traveler's Essential Park Guide