You are here

All Recent Comments

Federal Judge Okays Uranium Mining Near Grand Canyon National Park

Apr 16th - 09:29am | ecbuck

From Wikipedia.

Apr 16th - 01:00am | Rick B.

You're lying and know it. Not even the Alaskan Tea Partiers bother denying that one now. Lying and you know it.

Apr 15th - 22:11pm | Roger Siglin1

From Wikipedia. A simple search lists numerous examples besides these from many sources.Types of energy subsidies are:

Apr 15th - 21:35pm | ecbuck

Oil and coal are heavily subsidizedTotal myth -as has been demonstrated here before.

Apr 15th - 21:14pm | Lee Dalton

Oil and coal are heavily subsidized, why not alternatives?Besides, why worry about a little radioactive material finding its way to the Grand Canyon.  Just think of the possibilities when the Canyon begins to glow in the dark.  I'm sure someone will be able to figure out a way to market that and reap some hefty profits from the glow.

Apr 15th - 14:13pm | ecbuck

Bottom line Ron, you can put solar on your roof all you want.  Your complaint is that others won't subsidize it.

Apr 15th - 14:00pm | rmackie

EC, it is a complex subject, off topic and I am certainly no expert.  You can do much research on this issue on the internet, good place to start is Wekipedia, Power Tramsmission.

Apr 14th - 21:51pm | ecbuck

Aha! I caught you not reading the whole assignment,Yep, but only because you started on a false premise.  We are on the same page on this one Alfred.  Now if only Ron would answer the question. Not sure I can do the raft trip, but would like to meet up with you some time in a park.

Apr 14th - 21:39pm | Alfred Runte

Aha! I caught you not reading the whole assignment, but yes, we agree that the "subsidy" in these things is huge. The one I like is the gas-fired power plant "backing up" the solar and/or wind arrays. Unfortunately, if the gas plant is constantly "cooking" steam--just in case the wind subsides in a rush--where is the savings in having wind? Not to worry, Google says.

Apr 14th - 21:20pm | ecbuck

Apr 14th - 19:54pm | Alfred Runte

The grid already exists. If Power Company X is charging me 14 cents per kilowatt hour, why not buy back my "excess" power if I put solar on my roof? Other readers doing this probably know some actual rates. The common complaint I hear is that the power companies want to lowball the buyback rates. Again, I don't know this personally, since I am not an investor in solar myself.

Apr 14th - 17:34pm | ecbuck

Apr 14th - 15:19pm | Alfred Runte

One way is to oppose selling power back to the grid--or to pay minimally for it. Another way is to attempt saddling NATIONAL taxpayers for "improvements" distributed locally. It's all been reported in THE WALL STREET JOURNAL. The big boys fear that rooftop solar will be the death knell of large-scale utilities. However, I am not holding my breath.

Apr 13th - 22:01pm | ecbuck

As you know, it is a heavy lift, fossil feul and other energy companies, both private and public, carry much clout.Ron - how are fossil fuel and other energy companies hampering the efforts of people to install rooftop solar?

Apr 13th - 20:57pm | rmackie

Alfred Runte, at the grass roots level, the Club activists have been very much against these massive solar and wind farms. Here in California, the effort has been to go to rooftop solar. As you know, it is a heavy lift, fossil feul and other energy companies, both private and public, carry much clout. It is an uphill fight right now.

Apr 13th - 20:10pm | Alfred Runte

Consider the irony here. Three years ago, a 65-turbine wind farm went in north of Williams with hardly a peep from environmentalists. Rmackie, I am glad to hear that the Sierra Club may be coming to its senses, although the local members don't control the Washington office. Now comes this uranium mine and everyone is aghast. Why? You can't pick your fights and expect credibility.

Apr 13th - 14:07pm | David Crowl

I am with ec on this.It is too bad that there is no expiration on the 1986 approval. If there had been a sunset clause of some sort it would not be going forward. What someone should be pushing for is a reason for a new review.

Apr 13th - 11:56am | rmackie

EC, I am not a lawyer, perhaps others can comment. In my own limited experience, I agree that process is important. In NEPA lawsuits, the plaintiffs can only sue on process, the decision by the agency is final if the process is followed correctly. Unfortunately, process often times becomes an end unto itself. The larger issues are lost in the process.

Apr 13th - 08:57am | ecbuck

a terrible decision.Why? Because it followed the law?  The judge ruled on whether the NFS followed the right procedures.  The decision they (the NFS) made was irrelevant to the case.

Apr 12th - 21:56pm | rmackie

Thank you Afred Runte and Rick B, a terrible decision.  I hope it is appealed. By the way Alfred Runte,  the Sierra Club California/ Nevada Desert Committee March issue has a very interesting discussion on "Desert Solar Sacrifice Zones, Who decides"? Author, Patrick Donnelly, Executive Director of the Amargosa Conservancy.

Apr 12th - 18:16pm | ecbuck

A conservative LDS appointee of George W. Bush.Yes, he is so radical he was confirmed by a vote of 92-0.  Or is it his religion you aren't tolerant of?

Apr 12th - 15:42pm | Rick B.

A conservative LDS appointee of George W. Bush.

Apr 12th - 12:06pm | Alfred Runte

"Nothing dollarable is safe, however guarded."                                   John Muir, 1910

Reader Participation Day: Grand Canyon Float, Or Appalachian Trail Trek

Apr 15th - 17:01pm | Gary Wilson

The wonderland trail - all of it!

Apr 15th - 12:20pm | NP_Day_Hiker

If I had to choose I would go with the rafting trip through the Grand Canyon.  I can't imagine backpacking for months on the AT.  I'm sure it would be great, but I like the idea of the shorter trip on the river with the excitement of running the famous rapids.

Apr 15th - 11:20am | ecbuck

Roger, I can assure you the AT has more than its fair share of large tees and treeless areas with massive vistas.  That is one of the great things about the AT - huge variety.

Apr 15th - 10:38am | Roger Siglin1

I have hiked short sections of the AT and do not care for the second growth jungle of small trees. I am happiest in treeless country unless it is the high sierra with it's huge trees, open understory, and slick rock granite. I have not done a boat trip in the Grand Canyon but have walked from top to bottom on both sides of the river and much prefer it over the AT.

Apr 15th - 10:15am | StevePierce50

I agree, these are two very different experiences.  I did a ratfing trip through the Grand Canyon.  You get a real appreciation for the magnitude ofthe Grand Canyon from river level, and the opportunitues for exploring and seeing hard to reach places can't be beat. You pack  a lot of experiences in a 1 or 2 week period.

Apr 15th - 10:15am | StevePierce50

Apr 15th - 09:22am | wild places

Not even close for me. I'll take the Grand Canyon (I have only hiked part of the AT).

Apr 15th - 08:16am | ecbuck

Two very different experiences.  I have done the AT and had an opportunity to do the Canyon a few years ago but passed.  I guess if one votes with your feet, that puts the AT on top for me. A few of observations on the comments above:

Mount Desert Island Road Trip Loop: Schoodic Peninsula, Saint Croix Island International Historic Site

Apr 15th - 11:30am | Aimee Beal

Nice piece! Springtime is a fabulous time to enjoy Acadia. Just note that the Thunder Hole stairs and viewing platform are closed till Memorial Day for repairs (though you can still clamber about on the surrounding ledges to your heart's content) and the carriage roads will likely be closed in the next few weeks for their annual drying-out.

Wild Things With A View

Apr 15th - 09:53am | mtgnppics

Thanks, Deby. I enjoy your articles and photos.  Keep it up!  :)

Apr 14th - 12:36pm | NP_Day_Hiker

Nice article Deby, thanks for sharing.  It makes me miss the Tetons, though.

Apr 14th - 07:52am | Lee Dalton

Thank you again, Deby.

National Park Service Director Sees Value In Adding Waco Mammoth Site To Park System

Apr 13th - 16:24pm | Harryb3570

I want to thank everyone for your thoughtful comments.The issues facing the National Park Service in today's political and fiscal climate are hard and I do not envy anyone who holds the position of Director.  We all support the parks and while we may disagree on some specific issues it is important that we all pull together in the end. The parks are too important a legacy to loose.

Apr 13th - 13:11pm | Jim Burnett

I've taken the time to read several local news stories on the Waco proposal, and it's obvious the local community has really made an effort to try to win support for this idea. A local delegation went to Washington last fall to try to drum up support for a presidential proclamation, and also to try to get Jarvis to come for a visit.

Apr 13th - 12:08pm | rmackie

Harry, I agree, you raise some good points, I particularly think it is important to set up a communications system that allows field employees to have a feedback system to the the Washington Office. I do think it is important for the NPS Director to get out of office and into the field. There are many opportunities to talk to locals, employees, visitors, I support Mr.

Apr 13th - 08:03am | SmokiesBackpacker

I love it when NPS folks show up to say that NPS folks supported Jarvis.  Just as much as I like hearing that NPS folks like fee schemes so the public gets fee schemes.  The NPS bureacracy exists for the NPS bureaucrats.  How mistaken of me to to think that the purpose of the NPS was to provide services to TAXPAYERS instead of deciding what is best for the NPS.  That is why Jarvis needs to go.

Apr 12th - 18:25pm | Jim Burnett

Thanks, Harry, some very good points.

Apr 12th - 18:07pm | ecbuck

Harry, I would generally agree with your regarding the addition of units to the system but I think we do need to make some distinctions. Some sites have artifacts that if detroyed/removed will never be displaced.

Apr 12th - 13:26pm | Harryb3570

I admit this was an error on my part. The local newspaper article did not mention any prior study.

No More Reservation Requests Being Taken For Wonderland Trail At Mount Rainier National Park

Apr 13th - 11:21am | tahoma

"Another option for experiencing the Wonderland Trail is to hike it in smaller segments..."

Research Shows Steady Decline In Snowfall At Yellowstone National Park

Apr 12th - 09:17am | ecbuck

ec claiming I was deliberately misrepresenting a book he had not read.Really, when did that happen?Until then all you're providing is nothing more than ideological flatulance.

Apr 12th - 09:12am | Lee Dalton

I seem to recall that not long ago I did try to point out some of the things I'd learned from Ackerman's book only to have ec claiming I was deliberately misrepresenting a book he had not read.  I think I even identified some of the countries.  But that was declared invalid.  Now it's invalid if I don't because it was invalid when I did but before that it was invalid because he said it was.  Wo

Apr 12th - 00:04am | Rick B.

Good lard. If I said that same statement you would jump all over me for my logical falacies. Never leave your small little internally consistent and ever so lonely world - the jarring incongruities of the world at large that you can't control would drive you bonkers.

Apr 11th - 23:21pm | ecbuck

you would then feel that they had in fact substantiated their claims?No Rick, I then could evaluate whether their claims were valid. If they don't identify the countries, then by default, their claims are invalid.

Apr 11th - 22:39pm | ecbuck

So Lee, you can't answer the question. Once again you can't substatiate your claim.

Scofflaws Piloting Drones In The National Park System

Apr 12th - 08:55am | Lee Dalton

It's not just the NPS concerned with drones.  The FAA is fighting a battle to find a way (against stiff pressure from the burgeoning drone industry) to regulate the things.Not long ago, two passengers airliners on landing approach to New York airports reported near misses with drones.  One pilot radioed ATC saying a drone had passed over the top of his aircraft at 4000 feet!

A National Park Classic: Hiking Zion's Narrows

Apr 12th - 08:46am | Lee Dalton

Thanks for sharing this, Michael.  The Narrows hike is an adventure that's hard to describe and you did a fine job of catching it in words.  I'm gonna have to go do it again someday.

National Parks Traveler's Essential Park Guide