You are here

All Recent Comments

Flood Recovery Continuing At National Park Units In West Virginia

Jul 5th - 12:41pm | Kurt Repanshek

Love Dolly Sods! It was my introduction to wild and wonderful West Virginia backcountry so many years ago when I was a freshman at WVU.

Jul 5th - 12:36pm | Katie @k8tlevy

Thanks for reporting on this! We were up in the Dolly Sods Wilderness and I was worried we'd see some of the flooded territory around there, but it was just about normal mudiness  :)

Opening Of New Campground At New River Gorge National River Pushed Back To Next Year

Jul 5th - 12:22pm | donald havens

has anyone been to this new campground . I have driven by and as of yet ir does not appear to be open. July 5th 2016

UPDATED: Congressman Asks For National Park Service Director's Resignation

Jul 5th - 12:18pm | Judy Clare

our National Parks are the very best thing we have in the United States. They need to be handled and maintained to the very highest standards there are. Corruption, Cronyism, corporate greed, a lack of ethics, etc cannot and should never be acceptable! The American people and our environment deserve the very best Of the best!! Why is this happening?

Group Identifies 20 "Anti-Public Lands" Politicians

Jul 5th - 12:13pm | ecbuck

What's the double standard?  Lyman was excercising his rights under RS 2477.  The hikers were trespassing.  Their treatment sounds a bit harsh but I suspec there may be more to the story.

Jul 5th - 11:08am | Lee Dalton

Here's the latest news from around the Big Salty Puddle: http://www.sltrib.com/home/4062922-155/rolly-dont-think-utah-has-a

When Did Dancing In The Thomas Jefferson Memorial Become A Crime?

Jul 4th - 21:17pm | joselyn

The right to freedom is not regulated by if someone finds an act annoying. If that was the case you'd be violating my freedom right now.

Too Many Retirements Impacting National Park Service Law Enforcement Ranks

Jul 4th - 20:49pm | rmackie

Thank you Mr. James Longstreet. I agree, "no net loss" is a bad policy, you lay it out nicely. I retired after 37 years as a NPS Ranger, LE/Fire. Still occasionally get employed as an emergency hire for fire operations. In Yosemite National Park, I worked for 10 superintendents, all were ethical and qualified for their positions., I was closer to some than others, but that is human.

Jul 4th - 17:43pm | Retired Ethical...

While there are a lot of Rangers retiring, this is but one element of a crisis caused mostly by both poor management and inadequate attention by Congress.  The NPS always seems to have higher priorities than its LE field personnel, or to its committments such as "No Net Loss".  This includes maintaining a top-heavy organizational structure in which many manage

Jul 2nd - 20:11pm | No net loss for...

Yes having the right amount of people available to respond to crime, fight your fires, and provide emergency medical care will always be more important than the park's website. Sorry

Shenandoah National Park Bears Getting Bold

Jul 4th - 20:49pm | George J. Dagis

We saw loads of bears on our two week stay from May 15th to Memorial Day. My friend was even charged once when he didn't notice the Cubs in a tree behind him!

Boating Industry Aims To Block Marine Reserve At Biscayne National Park

Jul 4th - 17:22pm | ecbuck

those with the dollars will find a way to get their feet and fingers and fists into the door -- and into our wallets. The only way they get into your wallets is if you open your wallet to them. Now how about that "baseless accusation" I made.  Please identify it or admit, that was just another of your baseless accusations.

Jul 4th - 16:00pm | Alfred Runte

Again, good points from both of you. Then how are we to know, as Lee puts it, exactly "what they are really doing?" The late Garrett Hardin suggested we look at the adjectives, in short, how adjectives are applied to establish a taboo. His favorite phrase, not actually an adjective, was "You can't fight City Hall." Of course you can and you must.

Jul 4th - 15:22pm | Lee Dalton

Agreed, Alfred, with a couple of corrections.  It's not only Democrats.  It's all of them regardless of party.  It's not only the president nor current Secretary of Interior.  It's all of them, regardless of party.  Somehow, we have to find a way to teach voters to look beyond the propaganda spewed by both parties and learn what they are REALLY doing.

Jul 4th - 14:18pm | ecbuck

Alfred, you may not have voted for Obama and his co-conspirators but more people did than voted for the other guy.  The result is not the fault of GE or any other corporation, its the fault of those that voted these globalists, entitlement driven, we know what good for you people in.

Jul 4th - 11:35am | Alfred Runte

I don't know, EC. I never "voted" to give General Electric, et al. carte blanche over my public lands. As you argue, "the only things" wealthy individuals and corporations are "entitled to is what they have earned." How did they "earn" that right? The truth is: They didn't earn it; President Obama gave it to them, along with Interior Secretaries Salazar and Jewell.

Jul 3rd - 19:19pm | ecbuck

Well Lee I see we have crickets on your accusation.  I guess we can rack that up to another of your baseless accusations.

Jul 3rd - 17:29pm | Lee Dalton

I have to agree with our Esteemed Comrade.  He is completely correct when he talks about the entitlement mentality of our corporations and wealthy individuals.  And while corporations don't vote directly for legislators, they certainly do vote with campaign dollars and other contributions.  Those people sure do get what they vote for -- or manage to purchase.

Jul 3rd - 16:47pm | ecbuck

where the concentration of wealth and corporate political influence, not seen since the 1820s, appears to be a bigger issue.

Jul 3rd - 15:47pm | Alfred Runte

You invite an interesting point about corporations, Ron. If indeed the issue is "corporate political influence," how is it applied across the political spectrum?

Jul 3rd - 14:27pm | rmackie

Thank you Traveler for an interesting discussion, we maybe off topic on your blog as it is normally about parks and public lands. While off topic, I was interested in Dr Runte's post on free speech in our educational system. I have been out of the system for several years, so really have no recent experience in which to respond to his concern.

Jul 3rd - 13:26pm | Alfred Runte

The old professor in me cannot resist reminding everyone to stay cool and enjoy the debate. At least there is a debate in the pages of The Traveler, which is more than I can say for the modern university with its speech codes, trigger warnings, and "safe zones." Just the other day, I met a young man attending the University of Washington who reminded me it is worse than I thought.

Jul 2nd - 19:24pm | ecbuck

while making your own baseless accusations So Lee, what baseless accusation have I made?  I suppose I will get the same response I get to the question about climate "science" being so wrong.  Crickets.

Jul 2nd - 18:49pm | Lee Dalton

Sorry, Kurt.  I don't think it was gratuitious.  I was simply trying to point out that he seems to be guilty of the same things he accuses others of doing.  And if I had the opportunity, I would say it to him, just as I"m sure he'd say what he thinks to me.  At least neither of us are hiding behind anonymity.

Jul 2nd - 18:13pm | Kurt Repanshek

Lee, I really don't think your last comment was warranted. Let's try to keep gratuitous comments off this site, and remember that dictum: If you wouldn't say it to someone's face, don't write it here.

Jul 2nd - 18:02pm | Lee Dalton

So, like all the rest of us, Esteemed Comrade, you are forced to try to seek facts in a fib-filled world and reach your own opinions while making your own baseless accusations or misinterpreting comments of others, either accidentally or intentionally.  I respect your right to do that, but disagree strongly with most of your conclusions. Enjoy your Fourth.  Safely.

Jul 2nd - 15:53pm | ecbuck

Lee, I'm afraid there are no and never have been totally unbiased news sources.  Thats why I like to learn the facts and make my own conclusions rather than rely on opinions and baseless accusations.

Jul 2nd - 15:40pm | Kurt Repanshek

Sadly, after nearly 40 years in professional journalism (man, that makes me sound old!), I would have to agree with EC, though some media are worse than others. I do find The Economist plays pretty darn close to the middle of the road, though...

Jul 2nd - 12:09pm | Lee Dalton

The information is out there, one just needs to make an effort to find it and do a little thinking on their own.   Right.  But also make certain one is not reading and listening to only a one-sided echo chamber.  Read, listen and consider what the other side presents, too.  (Even if sometimes, you need to keep a barf bag handy.)

Jul 2nd - 08:34am | ecbuck

Ron's comment about the paucity of unbiased news sources is exactly right

Jul 1st - 23:34pm | Lee Dalton

Alfred and Ron, both good comments.  They (and others here) help illustrate the fact that we have become so polarized in so many things, not only climate change but a few hundred others, that any discussion means digging in our heels and repeating the echoes in our heads instead of carefully LISTENING to what others are saying.

Jul 1st - 22:45pm | rmackie

Thank you Alfred for an interesting comment. I agree "describe, analyze, tell the public what is going on", I think that is an excellent statement. There are many citizens and organizations trying to do that. Unfortunately we have the Communications Act of 1996 which has resulted in six major corporations now owning 90% of the TV stations, including Disney, Comcast, there are 4 more.

Jul 1st - 20:33pm | Alfred Runte

But Lee. The threat of global warming isn't alarming anyone, only those "instructed" to be alarmed. I recall, in 1968, Paul Ehrlich instucting us to be alarmed about overpopulation. "By 1973, when President [Edward] Kennedy takes office, the great famines will have begun." The moment he dropped science to become an alarmist, his credibility was entirely shot.

Jul 1st - 19:30pm | Lee Dalton

EC, I'm sorry about your misinterpretation of my note.  Try reading it again and I'll try to interpret it in simpler form for you.  It's not about "holocaust deniers."  It's about holocaust victims, who like many humans who have faced horrible fates, often resort to a kind of false hope that whatever faces them somehow isn't real.

Lake Mead Wants To Make Summer Closures Permanent At Two Dangerous Trails

Jul 4th - 16:48pm | TheBP

I am an avid hiker and anything but a novice.  I feel slighted when these trails are closed because of the uneducated.  I carry at least a minimum 1/2 gallon of fluids on my back.  I start all my summer hikes before 6 a.m.

Ranger Of The Lost Art: National Park History Preserved In Historic Posters

Jul 4th - 16:45pm | Alfred Runte

Looking at these gorgeous posters, we are reminded of what the Park Service could have done for its centennial, especially to renew the agency's commitment to "interpretive" services. Hats off to Doug Leen for this remarkable contribution to history and historic preservation. Fortunately, the images I emphasize, produced by America's railroads, were printed in larger runs. All survive.

Photography In The National Parks: From Banff National Park To The Border Of Jasper National Park - An Armchair Photographer’s Guide Part 1

Jul 4th - 08:00am | Leo de Groot

One thing to note about a pass to a Canadian National Park is that it gives you access for those days to all the Nations Parks in the country.  The pass you purchased going onto the Ice fields Parkway was thus good for both Banff and Jasper Parks (as well as for the adjoining You and Kootenay Parks if you had wished) rather than for one particular park only.

Survey Shows Visitors Would Support Higher Entrance Fees To See Yellowstone National Park Bears

Jul 3rd - 05:21am | AJ

I am a foreigner, coming from Europe, and I think that paying $50 extra is a lot. I went once in Yellowstone, and I will be there this August too. Most of the bearjams I have seen were made by American people, stopping their car in the middle of road and acting as if they were at Disneyworld, shouting and laughing. I even have seen some otf them feeding coyotes with snacks to make a picture.

A Walk In The Woods

Jul 2nd - 20:54pm | ottoman

"Movies = make believe." Obviously, but some are much better than others and I think that was the point. Compare Miracle on 34th Street from 1947 with the one made in 1994, vastly different qualities while still being "make believe".

Jul 2nd - 17:12pm | BillH52

Movies = make believe.  Perhaps based an a slight amount of truth; but still, make believe.  There were one or two moments in the movie which conveyed positive and real world statments, then others which were inappropriate.  Overall, it was not a documentary.

Jul 2nd - 11:07am | ecbuck

You have not been on the hikes I have.

Jul 2nd - 10:07am | Bill Stock

You have not been on the hikes I have. 35 years- average 300 miles a summer.  I recognized their encounters & yes they were potraying their age & their reduced capacities.  I am 75- hiking- and enjoyed the movie. Perhaps you need special effects, fantasy , blazing action, which predominates today.  Try " the hundred yard walk " for another dose of realism.

Jul 2nd - 08:25am | ecbuck

Agreed.  This movie didn't capture the humor of the book or the essence of hiking the trail.  Waste of time.

Scientist’s Research On Dark Skies Above National Parks Aids In Study Of Light Pollution

Jul 2nd - 19:03pm | Lee Dalton

Here's a link that includes the entire world: http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap160630.html

National Park Basics For RVing Newbies

Jul 2nd - 15:12pm | William Guy

We could never find a spot in Olympic NP for a 29 ft 5th wheel. Many cases the tree limbs are too low and turns in campgrounds impossible. The worst was that sites that could be usable had concrete curb blocks halfway downdownload the length of the sites making them too small for our not very large 5th.

Great Smoky Mountains National Park Extends Comment Period For Camping Fee Increases

Jul 2nd - 06:45am | SmokiesBackpacker

Yeah.  And they will stuff the ballots with employee comments indicating that they love the fee, meanwhile the public comments, the true, non NPS comments, will overwhelm them in the NO direction.

Two Dead, Four Saved After Fishing Boat Capsizes At Glacier Bay National Park

Jul 1st - 21:51pm | Larry A.

I personally know the owner of this boat.  I had the pleasure last August to fulfill a lifelong dream of halibut fishing in Alaska. My heart is filled with sadness for everyone as I know they were having a great time and to have it end so tragically is mindnumbing.

Concerts Coming To Homestead National Monument Of America

Jul 1st - 19:37pm | Lee Dalton

Sounds like great fun.  It might even be worth driving all the way over there from here.  Homestead and its surrounding community, Beatrice, are a couple of the most delightful places I've ever visited. I sure wish I could go . . . . .

Changing The Designation Of Colorado National Monument Not In The Offing

Jul 1st - 18:09pm | Terri Chappell

I'm late to comment on this because I just came across it but am doing so because it si still on the web.  As founder of Grand Valley Region Citizens for a national park I wanted to correct some errors in the above post.

What Should The National Park Service Do With The Enchanted Valley Chalet At Olympic National Park?

Jul 1st - 17:42pm | Rangerskip

The chalet brings back many fond childhood memories of hiking across the Olympics from Lake Quinault to Dosewallips back in the early 1960's. Those early experiences had a lot to do with my decision to become a Park Ranger. My attachment to the chalet is purely sentimental. The rational side of me thinks it is impractical to save in place.

National Parks Traveler's Essential Park Guide