You are here

All Recent Comments

Op-Ed | The True Meaning Of Soda Mountain: The White House Is Giving Away Our Public Lands

Sep 10th - 13:58pm | Alfred Runte

"Fish gotta swim, and birds gotta fly, but they don't last long if they try." Tom Lehrer, Pollution http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-solar-bird-deaths-20160831...

Traffic Limitations Likely Coming To Moose-Wilson Road In Grand Teton National Park

Sep 9th - 11:36am | Jhtlag

I found my small Kia was much more easy to navigate on moose Wilson Road then large SUVs that you see

Study: Roughly One-Third Of Yosemite National Park Lost For Resource Extraction

Sep 9th - 10:16am | Anonymous

I believe that Devil's Postpile National Monument (a real gem, by the way, at the "end of the road" past the town of Mammoth Lakes, California and Mammoth Mountain Resort), protects a parcel of this land that was once within Yosemite, was withdrawn for the stated purpose above, and then was protected again by Presidential Proclamation amidst outcry over a plan to dynamite the postpile formation

Sep 8th - 13:13pm | Alfred Runte

The principal reductions to Yosemite occurred in 1905, and another in 1906 when Yosemite Valley was "returned" to the federal government. There is nothing new in this "study," other than to forget the original "studies." No one perceives the original parks as "sacrosanct" if they have bothered to read those studies. So this is graduate study today--inventing another acronym--PADDD?

Sep 8th - 12:01pm | [email protected]

Sep 7th - 22:55pm | rmackie

Kevin, and I am certainly not an expert, but the Merced Wild and Scenic River designation, signed into law by President Reagan in 1984, included the river corridor in Yosemite.

Sep 7th - 13:31pm | Rick B.

Incredible.   A voice advocating for resource extraction ["for the health of the forest"\ turning around in 1984 Newspeak to call environmental conservationists'greedy' is pushing irony to the N'th degree.

Sep 7th - 12:35pm | Kevin D. Barry

The park is big enough.  We need to keep doing resource extraxtion for the health of the forest and the surrounding communities.  The park service has created the illusion of ovecrowding by eliminating thousands of parking spaces and hundreds of camp sites.  They hijacked the "Wild and Scenic River" designation to remove amenities in the park.  The Merced WSR designation was

Keeping Things Quiet In The National Parks

Sep 9th - 10:07am | Anonymous

In Yellowstone, Fishing Bridge RV Park is the only campground that offers hookups, and no tent camping allowed. The second part is ostensibly becasue of potential bear problems, but it also provides space from the largest RV units camping in the park.

Sep 9th - 10:05am | Anonymous

Thank you for this opportunity to rant about modern American-branded motorcycles. Here we are in 2016, with vehicle engineering having refined muffler technology decades earlier, and yet legions of man-children continue to relive their teenage years on the back of ridiculously noisy beasts. Second only to the stupidity of "rolling coal", this hobby beggars logic.

Sep 8th - 19:13pm | ecbuck

Another "camper" that want to tell others how to enjoy the parks.  Places should be available for both RV and Tent campers, just not in the same spot.  My experience is that most parks are handling it this way, offer RV/tenting spots and tent only spots.

Sep 8th - 12:17pm | Mark Kennedy

If you "must have" electricity to "camp" then go to an RV park or stay in your driveway!

Japanese Climber Dies Of Unknown Causes On Denali

Sep 8th - 20:27pm | Chet Yacek

I am deeply saddened with the loss of my good friend Masa.  We climbed together and enjoyed sharing stories of our adventures.  He was a good man.  He loved his family more than anything.  I will miss you my friend.  May you be at peace.

Michael Frome, A National Advocate For Environmental Stewardship, Dead At 96

Sep 8th - 19:44pm | Greg Lais

l'll always remember going to Listening Point with Michael. We talked through the night while my newborn son slept in Sigurd Olson's bed. One of a kind.

Sep 6th - 16:16pm | Tim McNulty

Michael was the dean of American conservation writers, an uncompromising environmental journalist, and a teacher who inspired a generation of environmental writers. His defense of wilderness was intimately bound to an ethic of non-violence and a respect and reverence for all life.

Sep 5th - 18:32pm | [email protected]

Dedicated to Michael's Memory and his Green Journalism Contributions: 1962 Book  Whose Woods These Are, Story of Our National Forests Listen to Michael: ... forces of nature video ...

Sep 5th - 15:13pm | [email protected]

Michael,  In Memoriam: You really made an indelible impression on young minds through your writing over the decades.

Would You Love Zion National Park As Much If It Were Called Mukuntuweap National Park?

Sep 8th - 19:44pm | Eliza

are you sure that this is actually true? where are your sources? I honestly wont believe this unless you tell me your sources, but the only thing i believe is its original name, so what were your sources? Are you making this up?

Yosemite National Park Grows By 400 Acres With Donation Of Meadow

Sep 8th - 19:26pm | justinh

Great news!  Thanks for the article.

Remembrance Set For 9/11 Victims At Flight 93 National Memorial

Sep 8th - 14:07pm | Kirk Hamlin

flight 93, America's greatest Heroes  Let's Roll

Is The Time Right For A "Maine Woods National Park"?

Sep 7th - 18:12pm | Cassidy

She chose to gift the land to avoid paying taxes. The government says that each person coming to the area will supply $10 per person who goes, however the last calculated amount of visitors acording to wikipedia is 63,000 from 2008. So that times $10 is $630,000.

Lifetime "Senior" and "Access" Park Passes Now Available By Mail

Sep 6th - 17:46pm | ecbuck

Bill - Spend $10 and get a new one.

Sep 6th - 16:58pm | William H. VIVRETT

For years I have owned a Lifetime Senior  Pass .  I have lost it and do not have its'  number .   How can I get a replacement ? thanks,   BILL   VIVRETT

Op-Ed | Will The National Parks Get Their Trademarks Back?

Sep 6th - 17:32pm | Anonymous

The National Park Service was incredibly negligent, in my opinion, the cost of ignoring its History Division and what were once its fine scholars there. Scholars can write all of the books they want, but still the rank and file need to READ them--starting with the director. Water under the bridge, I suppose, but we should hope the next bridge-builders have more common sense.

Sep 6th - 10:57am | Heather Brooke

Thank you for taking the time to write this article.

Sep 4th - 17:56pm | rmackie

Thank you also Ms. Huston.

Sep 4th - 11:08am | Alfred Runte

"But what makes this case so challenging is the existence of the contract and the fact that the National Park Service apparently allowed prior concessioners to register the same and similar trademarks in their own names. A party can contract away its trademark rights, and that may be what the National Park Service did here."

Conversation With A National Park Lodge Manager

Sep 6th - 05:31am | Nk

Great article!

Trails I've Hiked: Grinnell Lake By Boat And Boot In Glacier National Park

Sep 5th - 23:51pm | Bronwyn Kairuz

Can you do this hike in winter? In Deceeber?

Some Eye Candy, Grand Teton National Park Style, For Labor Day

Sep 5th - 20:55pm | Rick B.

Ya can't just shut it down for a couple of minutes to enjoy a pretty picture. You ust be loads of fun at home.

Sep 5th - 20:17pm | [email protected]

Outstanding and Inspirational ... but there remain political personalities within and beyond the

Sep 5th - 15:51pm | Catherine

Absolutely awesome.  A tribute that needs no words to speak volumes.

Notes From The Parks

Sep 5th - 19:43pm | Rick B.

I agree. In my life I've gone from packing in for months at a time to now, where I have such chronic pain and arthritis that I have a difficult time on a slowly deflating air mattreess or camp cot. I think in this I am fairly representative of many, although not all, of my generation.

Sep 5th - 14:57pm | Lynda Damrill

I frequently follow the Scott's articles and find them extremely informative. I particularly enjoy their details that unlock the human side of the parks. This article resulted in an excellent discussion that I have rarely seen for a travel article.All responders brought up valid points. I just hope the powers that be of our national parks read both the article and the responses!

Exploring Crabtree Falls In The Blue Ridge Parkway

Sep 5th - 16:11pm | Rita powell

Visit Cranberry Falls,and the hike is a great also.

Rocky Mountain National Park's Trail Ridge Road, Not A Good Place For Vertigo

Sep 5th - 14:10pm | C J

We were there last weekend-Beautiful views but using the "fear factor" excuse for not having guardrails in the upper Alpine areas with 1000's of feet of shear drop or any means to stop a car from rolling endlessly seems wrong... Especially when you have the jerks in their sportscars tailgating all the way along the road...Or the 30'+ RV's.

Body Of Missing Grand Teton National Park Hiker Found On Mount Owen

Sep 5th - 13:35pm | Deena Moore

praying now for his family and friends

Paving Project In Paradise Parking Lot At Mount Rainier National Park

Sep 4th - 09:07am | Fred Swanson

Thanks for setting the record straight. The Mt. Rainier version of Joni Mitchell's song makes a good story, though! I wonder how many other national park myths there are?

Sep 3rd - 17:10pm | tahoma

This has been a common tale for many decades at Mount Rainier and so many of the lyrics fit that I can see why the story has had so much appeal, even though her bio fails to mention Rainier."Mitchell said this about writing the song to journalist Alan McDougall in the early 1970s:

Sep 3rd - 15:18pm | Fred Swanson

I've heard that Joni Mitchell's famous lyrics from her song "Big Yellow Taxi" -- the refrain about paving paradise and putting up a parking lot -- actually comes from when she worked at Mt. Rainier's Paradise Lodge.  Any truth to that?

Renewed Effort To Build Tramway At Grand Canyon Draws Concern

Sep 3rd - 12:37pm | Cynthia Welt

A travesty which must not be allowed to ruin this beautiful, magical place...

Sep 3rd - 10:21am | rmackie

Agree Gary.

Sep 3rd - 08:39am | Brigida Barros

NO and NO. Do you want to destroy the natural beauty of a place like that? Go dig your greedy hands somewhere else.

Sep 3rd - 00:59am | Gary Wilson

I do wonder what the anasazi that lived at the bottom of the canyon would have thought about this .. But, I agree... keep it unmarred.  The entire grand canyon should be left as wilderness.

Sep 2nd - 19:16pm | ecbuck

horrific genocide perpetrated upon the native inhabitants of this continent by my admitedly white ancestors Not to mention the horrific genocide perpetrated by those that became native inhabitants upon what were the native inhabitants.

Sep 2nd - 18:11pm | Rick B.

Frankly, Shuntavi, I don't think that my personal opinion that the canyon should be unsullied by such a commercial enterprice equates with the horrific genocide perpetrated upon the native inhabitants of this continent by my admitedly white ancestors, as you inferred. But you, too, are entitled to your opinion.

Sep 2nd - 18:01pm | Shuntavi

Most of the commenters believe the land is theirs to control.  It is not.  It belongs to the creator, who has made the Navajo the stewards of the land, to be the care takers.  If they wish, they can build a tram, it is their land to govern, to control.

Concessions Worker At Yellowstone National Park Falls To Death At Grand Canyon Of The Yellowstone

Sep 2nd - 23:18pm | Annoyed by this

Please tell us, at what time do positive things magically start happening again?

Centennial Series | Forward Into The Next Century

Sep 2nd - 16:02pm | Gary Wilson

No doubt, there are a lot of threats to our forests - many of them from human caused disturbances.  There is no questions that the parks face mulitple threats when it comes to invasive species, climate change, or even species loss.  Our National parks truly saved the alligator, the grizzly bear, and the Peregrine Falcon from extinction in the lower 48, and there are many other species

National Park Basics For RVing Newbies

Sep 2nd - 14:21pm | Bonnie H

Another thing you might want to check into is age restrictions on the RV.

National Parks Traveler's Essential Park Guide