You are here

All Recent Comments

UPDATED: National Park Service Law Enforcement Rangers Being Called To Standing Rock

Feb 16th - 07:45am | Love this Rangers

what is the "order" and who can actually do that?  Secretary?

Feb 16th - 05:54am | Neicie

This is awful.  NPR are not security guards or private mercinaries working for corporate interests. This is an abuse of power.

Feb 15th - 23:12pm | KMuench

Our guardians, those that protect US land, should be focused on protecting our water. DAPL already had a significant leak in Dec.

Feb 15th - 22:59pm | StillG

See you there. Bring a vest. Rangers done changed some since you left.

Feb 15th - 21:41pm | Nps vet

i don't believe this. LE is not the national guard. You can't just call upon them, they have parks to patrol. If this is the case I will be in uniform at standing rock next weekend defending the sacred.

Feb 15th - 21:15pm | michele curran

http://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fancestralpride.org%2F953-2%2F... _ekJEar7IX1giuvzXMeI1WlVYCEkFqrz6YwBWW39gcK0u6sdvXtDna_A98NqRwEI5m7clg_XQ3plRGiwY_BKQxUWG8JK6 Not sure about the veracity of this.....

Feb 15th - 19:22pm | ecbuck

Unless they are there to protect the water protectors, it is a misuse. Either it is a misuse or it is not.  Who they are protecting is irrelevant.  But in your (and the left's in general) ususual fashion, the law doesn't matter, only the ideological outcome.

Feb 15th - 18:50pm | S. Garrison

I am so sick of this crap with the so called government again rape the land then shitting on it till it becomes inhabitable.  Who are they to deny the Indian people the right to live on the land that was once useless to the white man just to be thrown off again due to white greed!  These whites are the lowest scum of the earth, that means you, you fat.

Feb 15th - 18:43pm | Rick B.

Classy way for Trump to get back at the seditious little Park Service.

Feb 15th - 17:48pm | Lee Dalton

This is completely disgusting.

Feb 15th - 17:15pm | Rick B.

Unless they are there to protect the water protectors, it is a misuse.

No Backpacking In Arches National Park For Now

Feb 16th - 04:55am | paranoid too

Well said. They may be down some employees due to the hiring freeze and want to cut their workload in an offical sounding way. It's your park!  (for the benefit and enjoyment of the people" Write or call the superintendent, Kate Cannon at: Mailing Address: PO Box 907 Moab, UT 84532 Visitor Information: (435) 719-2299

Feb 15th - 23:45pm | Rick B.

And you stutter in double posting, Mr Hide Behind a New Name. "And the our government employees (Rick B.) are quick to use the tried-and-true post World War II tactic of all civilians are crazy."

Feb 15th - 22:31pm | Mr. Paranoid

And that's how it's done ladies and gentlemen, make an obvious observation, as all American citizen should do. And an Government employee Rick B.  Will use the post World War II tried-and-true tactic, of deflecting it back to you like you're crazy.

Feb 15th - 22:24pm | Mr. Paranoid

And thats how it's done ladys  and gentlemen, point out something that is wrong. That all good citizen who are thinking adults are supposed to do. And the our government employees (Rick B.) are quick to use the tried-and-true post World War II tactic of all civilians are crazy.

Feb 15th - 17:28pm | Rick B.

Thanks for pointing that out backpacker. I'm seeing docs right now for both my arthritis [my typing is lousy] and my vision [cataract surgery soon]. You understood what I was saying and my observations were still spot on. Just watch out for them black helicopters.

Feb 15th - 17:21pm | tomp2

SB--

Feb 15th - 14:00pm | SmokiesBackpacker

"Parnoid Fantasy".   (Try spell checking Rick B., but I swear I'm not out to get you.)  The NPS frequently employes "resource degradation" as a justification for reducing backcountry camping.  Yet they provide no data to back it up.  The NPS has successfully reduced backcountry camping throughout the system.  But, guide services are BOOMING.

Feb 15th - 12:07pm | wild places

Looking for an education. Why can't this be done with people using the back country overnight? Or at least using it on a smaller scale? Guess I'm struggling to come up with how allowing back country camping would interfere with a study but not day hiking.

Feb 15th - 11:14am | Rick B.

Beyond 'broad statement' it sounds closer to 'parnoid fantasy'.

Feb 15th - 10:30am | Trailbuilder

That is a pretty broad statement to say that all National Parks do not want backpackers. This article suggests they are looking into ways to protect the resource not keep out backpackers.

Feb 15th - 08:47am | SmokiesBackpacker

This is where the NPS would like to go with all backpacking.  They would like to end it permanently outside of guided trips by concessionaires.  The NPS doesn't want people in the backcountry and their fee schemes are a great way to do it.

Problems Plague World-Class Museum At Chaco Culture National Historical Park

Feb 15th - 22:08pm | Kellie Etherson

The exhibit, once the HVAC system is worked out, ABSOLUTELY should be at Chaco and not anywhere else!  The drive in is part of the experience of getting to Chaco and I cannot wait to visit again.  It was an amazing journey and an incredible visit.  I am disheartened to hear of the staffing problems and was sorry to hear that resource staff is based at Aztec (also an amazing exper

Feb 15th - 12:23pm | Patrick Christman

An obvious question: whom from the Park Service "signed off" as the original HVAC system was acquired, installed, tested, and certified as to meeting the contract specifications and performance requirements?

Feb 14th - 20:01pm | Lee Dalton

Good comments, Barbara and Robert.  At least a good decision by the current superintendent should be a reasonable starting point.

Feb 14th - 17:46pm | Robert0117

I noticed what Barbara West mentioned on my visit to Chaco last spring.  There was far less staff at the park and they were not as knowledgeable as staff I have dealt with in the past.

Feb 14th - 14:10pm | Barbara West

This article, while fair, leaves out crucial information about Chaco's current management -- that is by combining the management of Chaco and Aztec at Aztec, there is literally nobody home at Chaco. The senior staff is not at the park;they are at Aztec, seventy five miles away.

Good Books For Visiting...Acadia National Park

Feb 15th - 18:38pm | Acadia on my mind

You might also want to add to the reading list, the 3rd edition of our "Hiking Acadia National Park," which won the 2016 National Outdoor Book Award in the outdoor adventure guide category. A digital copy of the book is also included in the Acadia Bicentennial Time Capsule, so it serves as a message to the future about Acadia's trails, and is a bit of living history.

Acadia National Park Centennial Time Capsule Set For The Next Century

Feb 15th - 18:33pm | Acadia on my mind

If you're interested in the complete list of all items in the Acadia Bicentennial Time Capsule, check out our blog post: http://acadiaonmymind.com/2017/02/message-to-the-future-in-acadia-time-c...

UPDATED: Price Of Senior Pass Going To $80; Buy It Now For $10

Feb 15th - 17:25pm | Rick B.

With two caveats [this is from an allied agency, USGS, and that it is dated 2013 so the dollar amounts have changed] I believe this link will help with your questions:    https://store.usgs.gov/pass/senior.html

Feb 15th - 16:47pm | Barbara Tanks

If I want to camp at National Parks, what does the Senior Pass do for me?

Cell Phone Tower Issue At Theodore Roosevelt National Park Raises Questions Of Connectivity In National Parks

Feb 15th - 15:17pm | SteveM

This is another effort to dictate how, when, and where people can visit Wilderness. High-tech cookware and clothes are allowed, but invisible waves passing through air are not?

Former Big Bend National Park Ranger: Border Wall Would "Completely Ruin The Experience"

Feb 15th - 13:26pm | justinh

Thanks, Jason!

Feb 15th - 12:50pm | Jason Abrams

As a member of the Greater Big Bend Coalition, I can tell everyone that we will aggressively battle any plans for a wall or remote surveillance towers in Big Bend.  We are taking this issue to Congress.

Feb 14th - 21:11pm | Gary Wilson

The wall won't happen.  It's a big empty promise, that trumpty dumpty used to get both sides riled up into hysterics.  When all is said and done, we will probably have closer ties to Mexico than we do now when the next administration comes about, because of these hysterics.

Feb 14th - 16:27pm | Pam S

I can't even imagine a wall going thru Big Bend National Park.  Not to mention the sheer logistics of building said wall. An insane idea form an isane man.

Feb 14th - 11:23am | Lee Dalton

But . . . but .  . . but without the Wall how will we ever Make America Great Again? The wall is necessary to prepare us for the Next Great Leap Forward: American deveopment of large scale mining operations on the Moon.

Feb 14th - 10:03am | tahoma

The Congressional Budget Office estimates "maintenance costs will exceed the initial construction costs within seven years".  Don't miss John Oliver lampooning Trump's absurd idea:http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/videos/a43191/john-oliver-donald-tr...

Feb 14th - 09:27am | J.Lowell Nafziger

Abandoning the Rio Bravo Binational area would deprive Americans of access to the Sierra del Carmen, arguably the most spectacular mountains in the region.  And as justinh points out, the great float trips would no longer be practical, which is one of the main draws of the Park.

Feb 14th - 08:53am | justinh

I believe the boundary between the park and Mexico is the middle of the Rio Grande/Rio Bravo.  It might be difficult to float Santa Elena Canyon with that fence in the middle of the river.

Feb 14th - 06:40am | Rebecca Latson ...

Yeah, I kinda wonder how they would maneuver that big ole wall around the Santa Elena Canyon.  Would the canyon and trail be totally walled off?  That would be a shame.

Photography In The National Parks: Snowshoes, Cameras, And Winter In Glacier National Park

Feb 15th - 12:23pm | Matthew Wakelee

Glacier is probably my favorite National Park.  I've been there three times, but never in winter.  Great photos Rebecca.  I absolutely loved the bottom one.

Feb 15th - 07:31am | randy muir

Rebecca:

Feb 15th - 06:19am | Rebecca Latson ...

Hi There, Amarillobymorning -  Thanks for the kind words.  As for any armchair guide in the near future, I have my national park visits all mapped out for this year and I'm afraid I won't be in Utah this year.  The places you plan on visiting certainly sound like a good stop for me at some point in time, perhaps in 2018 (I have visited Canyonlands, but only for a day).  Enjoy your travels!

Feb 15th - 06:14am | Rebecca Latson ...

Thank you, Dewayne, for your kind words.  I didn't know about the telescope  - that sounds really cool and I'll bet it's amazing on a clear night.

Feb 14th - 15:48pm | woolf.d@cox.net

Hello Rebecca, some really nice photos of lake Mcdonald. would like to do some night photography there in the future, i was there twice in 2014, early April and the weather was not good for photos and was back in August with 14 of my friends.

Feb 14th - 13:52pm | Amarillobymorning

Excellent tips. Love the examples of Lake McDonald at different times of day. When can we expect more Armchair Guides? Hint: We'll be in the Blanding area of Utah -- Canyonlands, Valley of the Gods, etc. -- in a few months in case you want to churn one out real fast. ;>)

Study: $389 Million Of Park Service Backlog Is Responsibility Of Concessionaires

Feb 14th - 21:40pm | Rip

amen !

Musings About National Park Diplomacy

Feb 14th - 16:38pm | Danny Bernstein

What a great story! International visitors focus on the western parksIt's a red letter day for me when I meet international visitors in Great Smoky Mountains National Park or on the Blue Ridge Parkway - even better when I see them on a hiking trail.!!I always volunteer to take their photos (got to use those international words).Danny Bernstein

Watch For Bison On The Roads In Grand Teton National Park