You are here

All Recent Comments

US Fish And Wildlife Service To Reconsider Wolverine For ESA Protections

Oct 19th - 19:23pm | justinh

Thanks for those links, tahoma.  Good reads.

Oct 19th - 15:46pm | tahoma

I was lucky and privileged to spot a wolverine crossing the road one winter night at Mount Rainier forty years ago.  Here's some interesting links to Gulo gulo news in the Washington Cascades, where the estimated current population is 20-25 individuals.Goat Rocks Wilderness, southeast of Mount Rainier, 2016:

Oct 19th - 13:30pm | john928gt

Glad there are groups that challenge these type of decisions to make sure we protect the wildlife that needs protection. Thanks for the story.

Oct 19th - 11:43am | justinh

Good news.  Thanks for the update.

Is It Time To Ban Comments On The Traveler?

Oct 19th - 14:36pm | Alfred Runte

Don't forget, Argalite, that the Obama Administration made climate change one of its salient issues, and speedily applied it to the national parks. So, yes, it comes up from time to time, since the so-called solution, as I would put, recommends cutting off our leg to save our toe.

Oct 19th - 12:06pm | argalite

All you have to do is mention climate change and you get the wacos saying it ain't so, no matter what the subject of the article.

Oct 19th - 08:02am | edmond macgregor

"Submitted by Jason h on October 18, 2016 - 9:49am. Couldn't you just not read the comment section instead of limiting something others might find of value?" Makes sense to me.

Oct 19th - 07:59am | Kurt R

What is the big deal? If you do not like how a comment is going then skip over it. If you know a particular commenter irritates you, then don't read his/her comments. How about freedom of speech as long as it does not threaten someone. I personally detest vulgarity in the comments but if i see it i move on and ignore it. If someone wants to be an idiot so be it. Let freedom ring.

Oct 18th - 22:23pm | rmackie

Painview, I agree. I enjoy reading the comment section, I think most that comment support and enjoy our public lands. No one person has all the answers. Reading other perspectives is informative, weather I am in agreement or not. This is one website where I both read the articles and the comment section.

Oct 18th - 21:34pm | plainview

As one who seldom comments ... but reads many that others contribute ... all I can do is shake my head and wonder at this entire thread.  If a comment troubles your delicate ego so much ... then quite reading it and find another topic that suits your mindset more appropriately.  No one is forcing anyone to read anything here.  Good grief!

Oct 18th - 20:29pm | Quite Please

Excellent idea,this way the person can make his point and not continue to blast away at every other persons remark. This would certainly bring an end to pages and pages of a topic that by the end  isn't even on the original topic.

Oct 18th - 19:25pm | Lee Dalton

But, Rick, as others have pointed out, there are a few who may have legitimate concerns of retaliation if they use their names.  What about asking Kurt to develop some kind of method by which a person in that situation might ask for a waiver to the policy if they present to him legitimate reasons for anonymity.

Oct 18th - 18:10pm | Rick Smith

I support the idea of having all commentators use their real names.  Those who feel they must cloak their identity can go elsewhere,  Most of the peiople whose comments I read seriously use their names.

Oct 18th - 18:03pm | Mike Painter

I think the comments should stay, even though they sometimes get tedious and annoying. It's not the opposing points of view that are the problem for me, but rather the absolute need by some to counter each minor point of other comments and insist on getting the last words in all the time.

Oct 18th - 17:47pm | Lee Dalton

I have a solution to the problem. Any time there is a disputed point regarding the NPS, the disputers need to be redirected to the latest edition of THUNDERBEAR.  In Thunderbear, one will find the unvarnished and totally unbiased truth about the NPS, Congress, the environment, politics and a host of other interesting topics.

Oct 18th - 15:28pm | Siglin1

I support keeping the comments. Perhaps those who want to be anonymous could at the least tell the rest of us why. Some may have good reasons such as they are employed and fear retribution. I get a little tired of some of the back and forth by some, but we must all admit it adds a little entertainment to what might otherwise be a pretty dry discussion.

Oct 18th - 15:28pm | Libby R.

Kurt, if moderating comments has become a source of stress or tension for you, close them.  You can reopen them later if you change your mind.  This is your (very useful and informative) blog, and no one can tell you how to spend your time on it.

Oct 18th - 14:59pm | Danny Bernstein

One way to handle "hijacking" is to insist that everyone who logs in offers their first and last name and that the names are printed with the comments. Otherwise, these trolls have no accountabitliy.

Oct 18th - 14:33pm | Rick B.

As a fan of NPT and a frequent commenter, I have to join Dr Runte in a mea culpa. I often post with emotion, and also often throttle myself back and just shut up for a while when I find myself particularly egregious. I would hate to see commenting go the way of the dodo.

Oct 18th - 14:18pm | Lee Dalton

When, from time to time, comments stray somewhat from the original article, it may simply be additional proof that John Muir was correct when he said that everything in the universe is connected to everything in the universe.

Oct 18th - 13:41pm | Dick Shattuck

But in the end there is a simple solution.  If you don't like the comments, don't read them.     Exactly.    It's not the fault of those that do take the time to express their opinions that others don't so the same, and therefore a few dominate the discussions.

Oct 18th - 13:05pm | David Crowl

I agree that sometimes what I read in the comment section, has sometimes risen to a level that is probably offensive to a few. But I for one enjoys reading the comments almost as much as the articles. Yes you have a few that pick at each other. I accept that ecbuck is not going to agree with the grand concensus of scientists on global warming or my opinion of it. So be it.

Oct 18th - 12:56pm | Dick

I have a hard time believing that the letter reprinted above represents the genuine sentiments of many readers.

Oct 18th - 12:55pm | wild places

It is a problem, and I myself complained at one time. I also find that I have been reading the traveler less because of the lack of civility in the comments. I enjoy and read comment sections specifically because it offers another viewpoint and perspective. I want to hear opposing views as long as they are respectful no matter how much I may disagree. It is a chance to lean something.

Oct 18th - 12:53pm | drew hanson

I like tahoma's proposal to limit each user to some number (I would make it a low number, like 2) of comments per week or per article.

Oct 18th - 11:27am | David Crowl

Alfred, Nice comment. I especially agree with your last paragragh. " I have found them all sincere."  Not sure I agree about your opinion of annonimity though. I think there are times when that may be important for an insider's protection but getting at the truth.

Oct 18th - 11:23am | Alfred Runte

Kurt, you and I have talked about this repeatedly, and I plead "guilty" to my own lapses. However, what do you think it was like at the Constitutional Convention in 1787, or debating the Thirteenth Amendment in Congress in 1865? Ideas are always contentious, and yes, often morph into many things.

Oct 18th - 10:46am | ecbuck

Kurt - I would be interested to know what prompted your emailer to write.  I assume this was a recent email.  I reveiwed the comments for the last two weeks.  Of the 23 articles that had comments, I posted on 4.  One was a dicussion on pot and the impact of legalization on cartels and growing in National Forests.

Oct 18th - 09:49am | Quite Please

This is a major problem with all social media.At one time it was the place to find the real underlying issues to a written article.But too ofter it has become a place just spew useless attacks on the next person. I really no longer place much value on most blogs because of this so called troll atmosphere we live in.

Oct 18th - 09:45am | tahoma

I'd be sad to see reader comments ended on NPT.  This is one of the best national forums for criticism of National Park Service management, a cult-like group that sadly needs all the criticism and spin correction it can get.  Compared to many internet forums, NPT is actually quite civil.  Perhaps the more annoying, off-topic personal exchanges could be reduced by limiting user's comments per ar

Oct 18th - 09:29am | Vince R

A Code of Conduct is only worth something if it is enforced.

Oct 18th - 09:26am | ecbuck

As the subject of your emailers' attack I feel compelled to comment.  It is noteworthy that he attributes the "hijacking" and "troll" activity only to conservative/libertarian posters even though there are even more on the liberal side that engage in equal or even greater confrontational banter.

Oct 18th - 08:49am | Jason h

Oct 18th - 08:18am | justinh

I agree with Rebecca's comments.  That said, I'd hate to see commenting banned on The Traveler.  On the one hand, there has been contentious, yet nevertheless, interesting and productive discourse around issues such as land management and the philosophical mission of the parks.

Oct 18th - 07:57am | Jan Cooley

I'd hate to see the comments section of Traveler go away because of the same issues that other publications have experienced from just a few commenters who seem to need to start a war of words.  Many times the comments end up not having a thing to do with the article in question.  I love National Park Traveler and all the valuable information I have gained from the many&nbsp

Oct 18th - 07:11am | Kim

Online comments are gradually being phased out among several top news sites, because so many are hijacked by the vocal few who have little real interest in a respectful, back-and-forth dialogue. One model is to let people comment on stories through social media, but on your own site go back to a "letters to the editor" model, where writers have to be reasoned and thoughtful in their arguments.

Oct 18th - 07:05am | Rebecca Latson ...

I hate to say it, but I agree with parts of your email example.  I notice this in particular with what I call "hot button articles" on the Traveler.

Musings From Redwood National And State Parks

Oct 19th - 13:43pm | john928gt

As an East Coast native I've dreamed of seeing the Redwoods and the Sequoias since I was a kid. This past summer I finally took a trip to California and experience The Avenue of the Giants and Calaveras Big Trees State Park. Everyone should see these magnificent trees and support protecting them.

Oct 19th - 13:03pm | [email protected]

There are significant reasons why Lady Bird Grove looks different than the superlative stands of old growth coastal redwood within the California State Park System.  First, this upland forest was acquired late in the voluminous history of protecting the coastal and Sierran redwoods.   The Save The Redwoods League deserves

Oct 18th - 15:40pm | JoyceS

I just returned from a trip to the Redwoods last month.  Such a beautiful and awe inspiring place.  We traveled the Avenue of the Giants as well.  I look at my pictures now and they don't begin to capture the majesty of that place.

Oct 18th - 01:08am | Dick

Howland Hill Road was the highlight of our trip to Redwood N(&S)P earlier this year. Just an amazing feeling to be driving among the Giants in such an intimate setting.

Scorecard Indicates That Congress Isn't Terribly Fond Of National Park Service

Oct 19th - 12:21pm | Lee Dalton

It's not just park junkies who don't think highly of Congress.  The Ute Tribe just declared war on one member of the body after he made the claim that Native Americans don't object to his proposal to open some federal lands for development.

UPDATED--OIG: Chattahoochee River National Recreation Area Superintendent Failed To Report Alleged Sexual Harassment

Oct 19th - 10:47am | Lily40

Nothing suprises me with the Park Service look the other way approach. Why is leadership not held accountable? 16 years one report gathered dust. Not one recommendation that was made to the NPS has been implemented. So happy Centennial Jon Jarvis. You need to step down for the good of the agency....NOW. How many woman does it take to file? Or to file and be ignored?

UPDATED: Company Applies For Permit To Build Oil Refinery Near Theodore Roosevelt National Park

Oct 19th - 07:37am | T Burt

I vote no on the refinery. But here's your global warming homework. Did a study that will show you actual numbers. Then try and get them to tell you where those numbers actually came from. Then see if they will share the spread sheet that the numbers were run through. Then try and find the assumptions. Usually you find that the science is not very good after all

Oct 18th - 22:16pm | Ronald Hamann

It Seems these big oil companies can doo whaterver they want. Tjis is my land . This our Land. not corporation land. That is how the national parks are set up. not to go the the high bidder

Tule Elk Deaths At Point Reyes National Seashore Bring Charges Of Mismanagement

Oct 19th - 02:30am | Northern Nomad

When the initial contract was drawn up to allow the ranching of cattle, even John Kennedy at that time presumed that people would abide by the standard that as a National Park designed to preserve the Wildlife species of that park, that it would be done so in accordance with the, "Ethics," at the time the Park became a Park.

Mount Who? How Did This Famous Park Get Its Name?

Oct 18th - 15:49pm | Doug Bugher

I see where the 75th anniversary of the opening of Mt.

Expect Crowds At Arches, Canyonlands National Parks This Weekend

Oct 18th - 11:37am | Lee Dalton

On top of UEA, the weather forecast is for some delightful fall weather this weekend.  For many folks, it's the last hurrah of summer in Utah.  State parks, national forests, BLM lands, national parks, and nearly every other available place to camp will be full.  It's a prime weekend to enjoy Utah's precious public lands.

Long Road To Recovery For Scotty's Castle At Death Valley National Park

Oct 17th - 23:12pm | John C. Davies

In my three visits to Death Valley during in my lifetime, Scotty's Castle was always a favorite stop.  Despite the sadness of the destruction, glad the castle and environs are in capable hands.   I currently live and work in a country (Thaiand) which has developed its national parks after the USA model.  Thanks for providing worldwide leadership in preserving nature and history.

$7.5 Million Worth Of Pot Pulled Out Of Sequoia National Park

Oct 17th - 13:26pm | ecbuck

As liberal oligarchs, we just love taxing the hell out of any "vice." You are right, a total abuse of the taxing power.

National Parks Traveler's Essential Park Guide