You are here

All Recent Comments

National Park Service Preparing EIS On Future Of Wolves At Isle Royale National Park

Jul 15th - 22:03pm | Anonymous

While it would be sad to see the wolves vanish from the island I am all for letting nature take it's own course.

Aramark Awarded Yosemite National Park Concession Contract

Jul 15th - 21:08pm | Chad Johnson

Going with Aramark is a huge mistake. They're one of the worst companies in the world. Someone dropped the ball big time.

Move In Congress To Overturn National Park Service's Ban On Disposable Water Bottles

Jul 15th - 15:04pm | Anonymous

"but judging by the piles of plastic trash on every meadow, beach, and trail around" Not around here, must be a problem in your area.

Jul 15th - 13:46pm | Anonymous

Bottled water was created in the 90s. Consumer GPS, light weight gear and Gortex came then or later. Should they be banned?

Jul 15th - 12:45pm | BanBottledWater

Bottled water was created in the 90s. Did everyone in National Parks die of thirst before that?

Jul 14th - 17:50pm | ecbuck

"It's hard to conceive of how hard you have to be convinced of your own philosophy to argue so against protecting thee environment." I have made no such argument. Our differences are in the methodology not the goal. Your method is to inconvenience the many for the sins of the few. I prefer going after the few who abuse.

Jul 14th - 17:43pm | Rick B.

That's your own argument, Eric, but judging by the piles of plastic trash on every meadow, beach, and trail around, there aren't enough people who are as ecologically vested in Doing The Right Thing as yourself. You love the outdoors and enjoy visiting it often.

Jul 14th - 16:21pm | ecbuck

Karen - perhaps you could elaborate on how people that buy bottled water in the parks and dispose of the bottles properly are killing our planet.

Jul 14th - 12:43pm | Karen Wood

Yes stupid should be allowed to continue and even be encouraged ( oh wait it already is) until the whole planet is stupided to death (already well on it's way).

Jul 14th - 08:26am | wild places

"They may not have access to a water fountain or filling station while out hiking, camping, or running daily errands,” said Chris Hogan" What a ridiculous argument. But they will have access to bottled water while out hiking? If the parks want to ban bottled water I say that is their choice.

Jul 14th - 07:47am | ecbuck

"it is the careless disposal of them that is often the fist striking the jaw." Yes - so why inconvenience the vast majority that buy the water and dispose of the bottles properly? The proper solution is to focus on the offenders.

Jul 14th - 05:38am | RODGER JOHNSON

Used to be a thing we called a canteen. It fit on ones belt or over a shoulder and you just filled it with water and when not near a faucet a drink could be had .

Jul 13th - 21:38pm | theconroy

the only thing those dolts are micro managing is the cash flow from lobbyists

Jul 13th - 21:34pm | graybeardwalking

they aren't micro managing the parks IMO, they are just protecting their cash flow from lobbyists.

Jul 13th - 21:26pm | rmackie

d-2, bascially yes.

Jul 13th - 20:56pm | Rick B.

Other people's right to do stupid things have limits. My right to swing my fist around ends just before it strikes you, and vice versa. Buying water bottles is most often stupid - it is the careless disposal of them that is often the fist striking the jaw.

Jul 13th - 18:16pm | ecbuck

"In my opinion purchasing bottled water is about as dumb as buying bottled air." Buying bottle water may be a stupid thing to do, but people have a right to do (what you deem) stupid things. Not everyone wants to live the same way as you.

Jul 13th - 16:44pm | Anonymous

In my opinion purchasing bottled water is about as dumb as buying bottled air. If only the NPS seems to be able to confront this gross idiocy on any decent scale, then I say bully for them.

Jul 13th - 16:22pm | d-2

rmackie, by "political ideology" I think you are saying "economic interest."

Jul 13th - 13:51pm | rmackie

Jim, I do think congress has a right to question executive agency policies, the problem is that, at times, political ideology often times becomes the over riding issue rather than good information and solid scientific input, at least that has been my experience.

Jul 13th - 13:31pm | Jim Burnett

Agree, ec, about the micromanaging.

Jul 13th - 08:26am | ecbuck

While I believe the bottled water ban is silly and as the Vermont study confirms even counter productive, I wish Congress wouldn't micro manage the parks.

Hunter Who Killed Gray Wolf That Roamed From Yellowstone To Grand Canyon Won't Be Charged

Jul 15th - 13:39pm | Claire

So, can anyone explain to me why someone would want to kill a Coyote in the first place? It seems they have a right to live as well as any other species, especially after having made a miraculous comeback after being almost entirely decimated by ignorant bounty hunters. Let them live.

Photography In The National Parks: Framing Wildflowers In The Parks

Jul 15th - 06:44am | Jeffery Burkhart

Nice job Jean (and Randy whom I'm sure contributed)!

Florida Congressional Offices Want To Block Biscayne National Park's Fisheries Plan

Jul 14th - 20:58pm | D A Martin

As someone who participated in the meetings I thought the public had ample opportunity to participate. Florida needs to protect this valuable resource. This is a modest step in the right direction. Anglers need to look to the future. A reserve in this area will generate bigger fish and more fishing around it and preserve valuable reefs. It is a win-win for everyone.

Jul 13th - 18:04pm | Bogator

They haven't done their job yet. They just put the decision off until September. Knowing Florida politics like I do, the ranchers have a lot of clout.

Jul 13th - 13:46pm | rmackie

Thank you Bogator and Matt Schwartz, your comments were right on. The Tampa Bay article was quite interesting. I have been on both sides of the table when good science is over ridden by political boards, it is the system, and depending on who is running the show, some bad decisions are made.

Jul 13th - 08:22am | ecbuck

"read what the Tampa Bay Times has to say" It says the Commissioners didn't pass a faulty plan. Sounds like they did their job.

Jul 13th - 05:49am | southfloridawild

Too bad the representatives drafting the letter were not in attendance at the meeting held by the National Park Service where hundreds of attendees were randomly assigned to about a dozen focus groups. Those groups talked and then reported their discussions.

Jul 12th - 20:17pm | Bogator

In answer to Anon of 12/12 where he says " Are these State fish and wildlife management agencies ignorant or uncaring of the science? I doubt it", read what the Tampa Bay Times has to say about those same fish and wildlife people and what they plan to do about the critically endangered Florida Panther:

Jul 12th - 20:10pm | Anonymous

"Noticing a career politician's political politicalizing is not quite the same as me politicizing a discussion." There was no "political politicalizing". There were Congressmen looking to get all affected parties involved. ec

Jul 12th - 19:54pm | Anonymous

" you might be interested in the findings of the National Park Service AND the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission on the benefits of a similar area at Dry Tortugas National Park, called the Research Natural Area."

Jul 12th - 19:49pm | Anonymous

"Noticing a career politician's political politicalizing is not quite the same as me politicizing a discussion." What the heck does that mean?

Jul 12th - 19:30pm | Rick B.

Sorry folks have to observe the ad hominem towards me. Noticing a career politician's political politicalizing is not quite the same as me politicizing a discussion. In deference to Kurt's living room here, I'll leave it at that.

Jul 12th - 19:09pm | Kurt Repanshek

For those wondering about the benefits of a marine reserve zone at Biscayne National Park, you might be interested in the findings of the National Park Service AND the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission on the benefits of a similar area at Dry Tortugas National Park, called the Research Natural Area.You can find the report here:

Hit-And-Run Driver Kills Wolf At Grand Teton National Park

Jul 14th - 14:00pm | Elizabeth Cantrell

Thank you. You took the words right out of my mouth.

Jul 14th - 13:06pm | Shannon P

We just returned from Grand Teton and I can tell you that the lowered speed limit is a joke. We tried to drive 45 and were passed repeatedly. There was even a portable sign up warning about a bear and cubs that were regularly crossing the roadway and that didn't slow people down. Maybe they just need to put speed bumps on the road....

Birding In The National Parks: Sapsuckers At Rocky Mountain National Park

Jul 14th - 12:52pm | KJ

Can you recommend any trails @ RMNP?

Yellowstone National Park Immune From Wyoming Law Banning Certain Photos Of Water Resources

Jul 14th - 11:46am | Anonymous

I am the idiot who wrote about the fine. It was a fake. I fell for a practical joke. I would like to punch the person who did it to me in the face, but alas I cannot. I also can't delete the earlier post.

Jul 14th - 07:50am | ecbuck

Anon - I expect there is more to your picture story. Could you elaborate? Where were you, what were you taking pictures of, who gave you the ticket and what was the actual charge?

Jul 13th - 22:15pm | Sonarbat

BE WARNED! I just got a $340 fine for taking family pictures at Yellowstone. This law is bullshit and a racket. I'm from Washington State and I have to show up in person to contest it!? I am going to raise holy hell over this before I pay a damn cent!

Expect Crowds At Yosemite National Park This Holiday Weekend

Jul 13th - 16:22pm | Kurt Repanshek

There's the Merced Grove at Yosemite along the Big Oak Flat Road, the North and South Calaveras Groves at Calaveras Big Trees State Park, Grants Grove at Kings Canyon National Park and, perhaps best of all, the Giant Forest at Sequoia National Park.

Jul 13th - 16:18pm | Cyndy

If someone had their heart set on seeing the Giant Sequoias and Mariposa is closed, do you have a suggestion to see them somewhere else either in Yosemite or in the SF Bay Area?

Lost in the Desert: Proposed Mojave Trails National Monument Remains In Limbo

Jul 13th - 14:39pm | Jarrell Jackma

Excellent article by a leading scholar of the history of NPS.

Jul 12th - 17:46pm | Linda Earls

This is just the craziest thing! I remember traveling Route 66 just because that's the road we always took to go back East. 40 was already there, but we always wanted the scenic route. We love Route 66! They need to get their priorities straight. Millions of tourist dollars are aimed for Route 66 each year. Please fix this now!

Traveler Housekeeping: Missing Forums And Parkipedia

Jul 13th - 09:59am | Kurt Repanshek

If you mean the "Browse by Topic" and "Browse by Date," yes, we're working on that.

Jul 13th - 09:50am | Anonymous

Is the story archive feature going to be restored? That was a quick way to see at a glance what was missed when not visiting for a few days.

The Ghosts Of Yellowstone National Park

Jul 13th - 00:46am | Philip Wilson

When I was about 10 I saw an arm come out of a hot pot near Old faithful. Its one of those things you remember as a child. I never had any confirmation about my sighting. In fact for 30 years I've never told anyone about it. Reading about LR Piper has convinced me it was real.

Congaree National Park Has A Hog Gone Wild Problem

Jul 12th - 18:18pm | Shannon Noble

I visit this swamp all the time and only once came across a pack of coyotes in hunting mode. It was an amazing sight. There is so much fear and emphasis on wiping out these amazing animals but they help keep the wild hog population in check. Lack of these apex predators means the wild hog numbers grow.

Trails I've Hiked: Bechler River Trail In Yellowstone National Park

Jul 12th - 16:55pm | Kurt Repanshek

Anonymous (Jeremy), no bridges across the Bechler River or Mountain Ash Creek further east. The boardwalk through the marsh remains.

National Parks Traveler's Essential Park Guide