• Float With The Traveler In The Wake Of John Wesley Powell Through Dinosaur National Monument   1 week 1 day ago

Kurt, how fun, have camped their a few times, my wife did the river trip, just a great place.

Wow! It sounds amazing.

Danny

• Isle Royale National Park Officials To Take Deeper Look At Plight Of Park's Wolves   1 week 1 day ago

Agree justinh, nice post.

• Isle Royale National Park Officials To Take Deeper Look At Plight Of Park's Wolves   1 week 2 days ago

I think there's a strong argument for genetic rescue. I hope the wolves can rebound and thrive; for me, they're part of what makes this park so special.

• Parks Can Offer A Great Setting For Viewing Upcoming Total Lunar Eclipses   1 week 2 days ago

Hovenweep, Natural Bridges, Colorado National Monument, would all be good places for viewing, too. COLO and NABR have active night sky programs.

• Congressman Would Open More National Parks To Drilling   1 week 2 days ago

Well, you could watch the hearings tomorrow concerning Lois Learner (IRS) and the recent AG Holder testimony before Congress and parlay their attitudes to the model that reins with this bunch. Presidential usurping of Congressionally past laws that he feels he can do because he has Holder as gate keeper at DOJ. When all the facts are laid out I don't think we are far apart, Rick. There's been such a fog of deception as to motives and goals that it really has been a challenge to really see what is going on. I remain hopeful. Sure glad I have one of the great parks close buy to help counter all the crap going on:)!

• Congressman Would Open More National Parks To Drilling   1 week 2 days ago

"some extremist will try to act on their fantasies."

Lee, it's happening in real time. I would like to think it isn't but it's being played out in everything this bunch is doing. The Democratic Party really has had a schism or corrupted every descent Dem. that I can think of. I think if you really look at what's going on in the prism of impartiality and to the character of these individuals it'd be quite a wake up call. I am hopeful but not sure what that'll take.

• Graffiti Prompts Closure Of Area Near Sand Dune Arch At Arches National Park   1 week 2 days ago

Just horrible stuff. You'd really like to catch one of the fools in the act.

• Congressman Would Open More National Parks To Drilling   1 week 2 days ago

I certainly agree with you. Since the early days of response to 9/11, with the "Patriot Act" and such similar Constitution-shredding legislation, I've felt my civil liberties under attack. Now, over the past seven years of a Congress pretending that only saying no is a helpful check/balance to the Executive Branch, sanity has left the room.

Perhaps we aren't so far apart, trail advocate; I just prefer more specifics to your more vague fears.

• Congressman Would Open More National Parks To Drilling   1 week 2 days ago

"But I hope there are enough of us in the middle of sanity who have faith that the genius of our democracy, our Constitution, and our system of checks and balances will continue to do what they are supposed to do."

I suggest that our Constitution and it's checks and balances are under attack. I hope also that there are enough of us in the middle of sanity who can see and understand the consequences of a deceptive, corrupt(yes) bunch. The Left particular shines in that category at the moment but Republicans aren't far behind if only because they aren't in power (except in the House). Pretty serious, I believe.

• Congressman Would Open More National Parks To Drilling   1 week 3 days ago

I agree, Mr. Mackie, and I apologize to all for my digression. I tend to just go into scorn when I encounter what you term the fear/hate crowd. It is truly difficult to discuss with those folks on a factual basis, because the aspersions they cast tend to be vague, and of emotion rather than fact.

Give me a fact based thing to deal with, even if it is nuts, rather than a vague and ominous cloud. "Obama murdered Vince Foster for Bill Clinton right after he arrived from Kenya" is easily dealt with, but "With a Kenyan socialist at the top then concerned citizens that pay attention to the Real Issues know that bad things are being planned just out of our sight" will just drive you bonkers.

• National Park Week Is Just Around The Corner   1 week 3 days ago

This is how they are going to reach "millennials" and "diverse urban audiences."

This is the "Call to Action" in practice.

• Congressman Would Open More National Parks To Drilling   1 week 3 days ago

Sara, thank you for the post, extremely informative. The fear/hate crowd is hard to understand, but Lee is right, the nation has faced this before. Needless to say I do not have answers, but I do think the unrestrained amounts of money being poured into the political arena is adding to the discombobulation and increasing corruption. Be it the Governor of Illinois trying to sell a Senate seat to the highest bidder or the Governor Of New Jersey who is up to selling anything he can get his hands on, seems to to be the coming norm. Much like the 1890s and 1920s, the reaction will occur. The US Attorney for the lower part of New York State (his office now has some jurisdiction over the growing Christi scandal), when asked to comment on the surge of political corruption investigations happening both in New York and New Jersey, stated it seems like everything is now for sale. The public senses this, it must lead to much anger and frustration.

• Grandma Gatewood's Walk: The Inspiring Story Of The Woman Who Saved The Appalachian Trail   1 week 3 days ago

Thanks, Danny, for an interesting review!

• Congressman Would Open More National Parks To Drilling   1 week 3 days ago

Looks like Braithwaite(the really vocal guy) ran for Manti City Council last fall. Given his background, it makes me wonder if the others were not just following his direction.

• Congressman Would Open More National Parks To Drilling   1 week 3 days ago

Perhaps the extremes of both sides think so. But I hope there are enough of us in the middle of sanity who have faith that the genius of our democracy, our Constitution, and our system of checks and balances will continue to do what they are supposed to do. We've survived more than 200 years of challenges and are still going. And if one reads much history, it becomes obvious that what we are hearing today is not much different than what has been happening throughout all those years.

Wouldn't it be nice, though, if we would start to learn from our mistakes?

What's really frightening is the possibility that some day, some extremists will try to act upon their fantasies. It has happened before, it will happen again and any time someone with a loud megaphone or microphone is making money spreading fears and lies, let's hope there will always be sensible people to counteract them.

It was encouraging to see that the Manti mayor and council seem to be among the sane -- at least for the time being. On the other hand, there is LaVerkin. Sensible people must never let our vigilance waver.

In this case, the article tells of a threat to our parks. Maybe the next time, it will be something more serious. Right now, outside of Mesquite, Nevada, a rancher who for years has flaunted grazing laws on public lands is fighting with the BLM and NPS. His supporters are using some of the same inflammatory rhetoric we hear continually on hate radio. Ironically, the laws he has been violating have been in place for many years and the judge who granted the BLM's action order was appointed by a President who is a darling of the right wing.

Enough to make your head spin.

• Congressman Would Open More National Parks To Drilling   1 week 3 days ago

Well, I'd suggest trying not to slip into irrelevance and just accepting or being fatalistic about what's being shoveled. A good start would be to fact check and see who's doing most of the lying and deceiving. A tough task, I admit.
    Getting back to the Parks and what we love about them, it's a beautiful day here, I'm out.

• Congressman Would Open More National Parks To Drilling   1 week 3 days ago

There's something happening here
    But what it is ain't exactly clear
    There's a man with a gun over there
    Telling me I got to beware

I think it's time we stop
    Children, what's that sound?
    Everybody look - what's going down?

There's battle lines being drawn
    Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
    Young people speaking' their minds
    Getting so much resistance from behind

It's time we stop
    Hey, what's that sound?
    Everybody look - what's going down?

What a field day for the heat
    A thousand people in the street
    Singing songs and carrying signs
    Mostly saying, "hooray for our side"

It's time we stop
    Hey, what's that sound?
    Everybody look - what's going down?

Paranoia strikes deep
    Into your life it will creep
    It starts when you're always afraid
    Step out of line, the men come and take you away

=====

Lessons from the 60's, and ironically enough both sides probably think the song is singing about their side.

• Congressman Would Open More National Parks To Drilling   1 week 3 days ago

The 900 Executive Order comment made by one of the Manti residents was debunked by Snopes .

• Congressman Would Open More National Parks To Drilling   1 week 3 days ago

Well, I have to hope gullible people wise up to reality before it smacks them along side the head or they're to far gone to realize what's happened. I don't think what's going on is particularly groovy and many rational folks that I know are very concerned, scared out of their wits or just supremely disappointed that good people could possibly buy into unbelievable crap that's being shoveled. Adios.

• Congressman Would Open More National Parks To Drilling   1 week 4 days ago

Yes, there is something going on. There's big money to be made by frightening the wits out of gullible folks.

• Congressman Would Open More National Parks To Drilling   1 week 4 days ago

As opposed to being oblivious or having one's own agenda,I guess. There is something going on.

• Congressman Would Open More National Parks To Drilling   1 week 4 days ago

Sorry, trail advocate, but that sounds a bit like Tea Party paranoia.

• Congressman Would Open More National Parks To Drilling   1 week 4 days ago

You can rant about small towns about Park issues but have you not been paying any attention to the overreach of the corrupted Lois Lerners (IRS)and above that could (should) give pause to what many fear? Seems that you and a few others here could be living in a quaint village yourselves, respectfully.

This from NPS LE Rangers top boss:

• Congressman Would Open More National Parks To Drilling   1 week 4 days ago

Stranger than fiction, Lee. There's a sociology dissertation up for grabs there.