You are here

All Recent Comments

Centennial Series | Reform, Don't Replace, The National Park Service

Aug 12th - 23:12pm | Gary Wilson

If a National Park gets decomissioned to the state level, then it ceases in my opinion to be a National Park.  At that point it's a State Park, and loses all international prestige and titles that goes with being within a National Park system.

Aug 12th - 20:57pm | John Freemuth

Tahoma   Good points. A comprehenaive look at NPS organimational culture has never been done. There are pieces, there is policy work there is the Berkowitz stuff but you are right. It would take some time and it's fought with problems but it needs to be done sometime. Thanks for the comment.      John Freemuth

Aug 12th - 14:07pm | John Freemuth

Hi bill   Thanks for the comment, we should claifry our point. What we all seemed to agree with at the PERC meeting was that the Senior Pass was something that we would be glad to pay more for., it was way undepriced.    Best,     John

Aug 12th - 10:39am | Bill Borrie

Those running the NPS could be much more financially responsible. Specifically, the fee system for the National Park System is currently generous to a fault. ... At last year's PERC-sponsored seminar on national parks all attendees, of various policy and intellectual backgrounds, claimed to be more than willing to pay more for such a privilege.

Aug 10th - 22:29pm | ecbuck

As I suspected.  Crickets from you Rick.  You were more than willing to go off topic until you actually had to defend your statements.

Aug 10th - 22:18pm | Rick B.

Where were we? That's right: Centennial Series | Reform, Don't Replace, The National Park Service

Aug 10th - 22:16pm | ecbuck

And you are buying in to the old Democratic tradition of making baseless accusations.  Show me a Republican that has changed his position due to being bought and I am willing to throw him in the slammer.  Are you willing to throw Hillary in the slammer for selling her position as Secretary of State?  The evidence came out loud and clear today.

Aug 10th - 21:58pm | Rick B.

Glad you are in favor of supporting the old Republican tradition of buying the best politicians you can.

Aug 10th - 21:43pm | ecbuck

"corruption and bribery "- do I hear Clinton Foundation and State Department - are crimes that have nothing to do with free speech.  Expressing your preference for a political candidate is the epitomy of free speech.

Aug 10th - 21:21pm | Rick B.

Again with that nonnsense that money equals speech. Follow that out and every corruption and bribery conviction infringes first amendment rights.

Aug 10th - 20:38pm | ecbuck

With you Lee on term limits, not so much on eliminating the 1st amendment.  Unfortunately I don't think either would substantially change the plight of the NPS.

Segways in the National Parks: Do We Really Need Them?

Aug 12th - 16:34pm | Mike Warren Sr.

If I could hope to go to My Grand Canyon, Like all other Americans, Ill want to be able to go to the bottom on the trail, like everyone else.  Trouble is, I have a disability that I know prevents that dream.  Ill never see the bottom or feel the power of the river by being close to it.  A segway could make  that possible.

What Should The National Park Service Do With The Enchanted Valley Chalet At Olympic National Park?

Aug 12th - 15:00pm | John Clevenger, Jr.

Vote for Option #4.....move to another location....Enchanted Valley Chalet is something that should not be destroyed.....Move it to a more suitable area..............safer area. Rehabilitate the structure, if ncessary.....It should remain a part of the Park.

A Life Of Conservation: Michael Frome And The National Parks

Aug 12th - 11:37am | Alfred Runte

Dear Ethical Retired, Thank you! I will be sure to pass your comment on to Michael. He remains my inspiration, too. And yes, he is again working to finish another book. Sincerely, Al

Aug 12th - 02:12am | Ethical Retired...

It is great to learn that Michael Frome is still active and writing.  I believe the National Parks are better places today because of his eloquent writing in the '60's and 70's.  As noted, he was a leader in stopping the proposed Disney development in Mineral King, which at the time was part of Sequoia National Forest.

Aug 11th - 23:14pm | Gary Wilson

Just a quick point, since i've spent more than enough time in both the wilderness of the Tetons and the Smokies.   The author writes "In the parks, they are asked to say good-bye to wilderness, even as the Park Service claims it is not good-bye. In Jackson Hole, it starts with the assurance that the front country is a lesser wilderness. The Tetons are what people come to see."

Reader Participation Day: How Crowded Are The National Parks?

Aug 12th - 09:12am | tahoma

The highest visitation in two decades at Mount Rainier has resulted in miles-long, hours-long entrance station backups this summer. http://www.thenewstribune.com/outdoors/article94621907.html

Aug 11th - 20:38pm | Jaime Tafoya

We were in Acadia NP this summer, end of June, and it was just as others have said it was...busy during the day and at highlighted stops and sites, but very quiet on the unbeaten path.  Getting up early helps, but the best was going to other parts of the park to enjoy without the big crowds.

Aug 11th - 10:51am | David Cole

i have been to a number of parks this year and last. The experience of gaining acces and particularly of being able to stay in the parks has become dreadful. it seems the parks are content with achieving their mission of protecting the environment but has abandoned any concern for protecting quality experiences. Sad to see the quest for quantity given priority over quality.

Decommissioning Glen Canyon Dam Would Have Minimal Impact On Power Grid, Study Says

Aug 12th - 08:34am | Barbara K. Bobo

After reading "Running Dry, a Journey from Source to Sea Down the Colorado River" by Jonathan Waterman, I have traveled to many of the areas in the west to see for myself what he describes, and it is clear the salinity of the water taken from the river and/or stored there is

NPS: Systematic Failures Led To Desecrations At Effigy Mounds National Monument

Aug 12th - 07:43am | Laura Harreld

I understand the desire for handicap and elderly accessibility, as well as strollers and ease of use in this our national monument. Had an impact analysis been conducted, would any boardwalk or bridge been allowed? Was it necessary to use a backhoe to dig footings? My grandfather's, and father, have dug many holes with hand tools. There is much less impact on the site.

Aug 11th - 19:49pm | timothy mason

lt"s not as slmple as,...ready to move forward." All the dlsgutngilly ugly garbage that they illegally bullt boardwalks/ brdges/ decks etc. must be removed and return the damaged little park to lt's pre-crime spree condtion.

Crews At Point Reyes National Seashore Starting To Cleanup Drakes Estero

Aug 11th - 22:42pm | Gordon Bennett,...

As reported in this article: "While Kevin Lunny had been optimistic he could obtain a lease renewal from the National Park Service, then-Interior Secretary Salazar declined that request in November 2012."

Wilderness Defender: Carsten Lien And The Writing Of Olympic Battleground

Aug 11th - 22:17pm | Gary Wilson

In 1988, 95% of Olympic National Park was declared wilderness, but I see no mention of that in this article..  There is currently a bill to expand wilderness areas outside of the park.

Aug 11th - 21:59pm | ecbuck

Gary, the Dr has spent more time in the parks than 99% of Americans.  I don't agree with all his conclusions but I don't doubt his knowledge or sincerity.

Aug 11th - 21:13pm | Gary Wilson

The author constantly hammers away that the parks are eroded, and destroyed and that these areas are under threat by the management of the NPS.  If he doesn't get back into the mix, how does he know that the parks are in ruin?  How can he lament about the state of the wilderness if he doesn't see it with his own two eyes?

Aug 11th - 20:54pm | ecbuck

Gary - I agree with you on the SI issue. But, your personal attacks on the Dr are just juvenile.  People enjoy parks in different ways.  There is no "right" way except that the "ways" shouldn't threaten to permantly impair the resources that are there.

Aug 11th - 20:12pm | Gary Wilson

13 years next to a prominent national park, and the author never once stepped into it!  Simply amazing.  I must say, i've read enough.  This article feels like it is filled with a lot of tall tales to try and get to an endpoint.

Is NPS Getting Ready To Toss Bluffs Lodge On The Scrap Heap?

Aug 11th - 20:02pm | Jennifer Detweiler

Bluffs is such a  sweet & charming place! My family & I always loved to eat dinner there when we would drive the parkway.  It broke our hearts to find out that it had closed.  I love the idea of approaching the large banks & businesses in NC to maybe come to the rescue. Many yrs ago (1950's) my parents & older siblings camped in the area. .

Are National Parks An Appropriate Backdrop For Sports Illustrated's Swimsuit Issue?

Aug 11th - 19:07pm | Kurt Repanshek

OK, folks, we're closing this one down. It's exceeded its "use by" date.

Aug 11th - 18:59pm | Alfred Runte

Gary, my last backpacking trip was High Divide in Olympic National Park. I did it in honor of my good friend Carsten Lien, the author of OLYMPIC BATTLEGROUND. Perhaps you read my article here in The Traveler, also the article I wrote about Michael Frome.

Aug 11th - 18:03pm | Gary Wilson

King Alfie, I realize, you like to come off as a smug elitist, emulating this vast superiority over others, but the reality is I have read many books from those authors. The other reality is that many of those authors have spent a lot of time in solitude within the wilderness, and I definitely speak their language.   Do you?  Do you know what that is like?

Aug 11th - 17:11pm | Alfred Runte

Nice shortcut, Gary. Now read their books.

Aug 11th - 17:06pm | Gary Wilson

I don't have respect for conmen.  At least those other folks you reference spent portion of thier lives in national parks.  So, please don't place yourself in the same league as people like Muir, Frome, Williams, or Cactus Ed.

Aug 11th - 15:40pm | Alfred Runte

Gary, when you're caught with your pants down (like the young ladies in this photo shoot), admit it. Just for the record, I have not been a full-time professor since 1987, and yes, I do mention my books from time to time, since all of that time I have been self-employed. You, too, must be self-employed to spend so much time on this website. Or are you fudging on your employer's clock?

Aug 11th - 07:50am | Beachdumb2

This is best article on NPT ever. I've read it dozens times now. I love to see how some folks are offended by this, just shows how delusional some are and thier ideology trumps rational thinking.  If no resources were harmed, I totally approve.

Aug 10th - 22:53pm | Gary Wilson

I agree EC and for a rare moment we agree at least on one thing.  Unfortunately, there's a lot of people here that don't seem to comprehend the rules, and so they float their BS, and propaganda because they disapprove of the art, and can't see beyond the photo.   Once again, i'll try this one last time.

Aug 10th - 20:30pm | ecbuck

Can't believe this thread is still going on.  Must be everyone like scrolling through the story (pictures) to get to the comment section;)

Aug 10th - 19:35pm | Gary Wilson

Allfried, is there any day where you can go by without the self-promotion and especially hawking your books on this site?   The more I read you here, especially in regards to anthropogenic global warming, along with and many other topics, the more I pity any millenials that have to put up with you as a professor.

Aug 10th - 18:59pm | Alfred Runte

But Gary doesn't want to remember, Kurt. He wants to be selective. And is that not the point? He wants to select for what he approves, while condemning others for what they disapprove. And to make sure we accept his values, he reminds us of what we, too, must disapprove.

Aug 10th - 17:47pm | Gary Wilson

Unfortunately those acts of vandalism were not park approved activities. I was thinking more along the lines of activities that the NPS approved for the time period, which has led to this debate.

Aug 10th - 17:26pm | Kurt Repanshek

P.T. Barnum?How about creepytings and her acrylic paintings in the parks?Or the guys who walked along the edges of Grand Prismatic Spring in Yellowstone?Or the dude who crashed his drone into the spring?

Aug 10th - 17:20pm | Gary Wilson

Sorry Alfred, but i've been in National Parks for quite a lot of my life. Now, i'm in one full time, and I don't see more PT barnum, and less John Muir.  I just don't. I meet a lot of people that care about nature, and practice conservation.

Writers Speak Out For A Bears Ears National Monument

Aug 11th - 13:39pm | Lee Dalton

Rob is at it again.  He just added a significant and sneaky line to his Public Lands Initiative Bill.  Read all about it here: http://www.sltrib.com/news/4207827-155/rolly-bishops-lands-bill-has-a A few excerpts:

Leslie Reynolds, Chief Ranger At Cape Cod, Awarded Top Honor For A Ranger

Aug 11th - 09:36am | steve stockdale

Chief Ranger Reynolds Well done, richly deserved        Stock

National Parks Are Managed In Very Inconsistent Ways...Or Are They?

Aug 11th - 09:25am | tahoma

Really, ec?  You need documentation that dogs degrade water quality and scare wildlife and some visitors?  Try searching dogs + water pollution.  There will be more results than you can read, for exampe:

Aug 11th - 08:46am | ecbuck

but this dog management policy has much larger and lasting effects on visitors, wildlife and water quality Could you elaborate on those "lasting effects'? I regularly hike National Forest Trails that have similar regulations and have never seen any such thing.

Aug 11th - 08:41am | tahoma

Speaking of management inconsistency, a place where dogs are allowed on 99% of the trails is not a National Park I would care to visit: https://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/pets.htm

Alaska's Predator Control Efforts Kill National Park Service Predator-Prey Study

Aug 10th - 20:26pm | Juan Carlos Bravo

"... the state's intensive management program," More like a KILLING program, no need for euphemisms we're all adults premusably, and can call killing by its name. It will make it easier to ask: Why does the state have a predator killing prgram? and harder to answer it.

Artist-In-Residence In The Parks

Aug 10th - 16:59pm | Arlene Linder

I was picked to be an artist in residence at Yosemite durring the month of August for next year and I lost the letter telling me the date. It is important that I know because I have been attending classes at Oxford University in the summer and I don't want to have a conflicting date for next summer. Thank you

National Parks Traveler's Essential Park Guide