You are here

All Recent Comments

Op-Ed | When It Comes To Allegations Of Sexual Misconduct, College Sports Have More Conscience Than NPS Officials

Jun 10th - 10:08am | Rick Smith

Backpacker--I think, as you can read above, your comments about the "NPS Kool-aid drinking club" are off base and wrong. Not one of us on NPT has any sympathy for what occurred at Grand Canyon.  It was wrong and unconciousnable.  Enough said?

Jun 10th - 08:12am | Newly retired

Unfortunately not much has changed regarding the " good old boy" network in the NPS in the last 40 years since I " joined" the NPS.  The crowning experience I had, after numerous sexual harassment incidents I both experienced and watched was when I was sexually harassed by a WASO division chief.  This was witnessed by a number of people.

Jun 8th - 17:04pm | beschundler

This article is great! And together with a number of other recent events and articles (like Corbin Hiar's editorial entitled "NPS2100: Park Service Leaders Break Rules but Skate By"....in Greenwire, June 7, 2016), it highlights how the National Park Service and Jon Jarvis and many of its other top leaders just haven't changed, and are still using outdated management techniques.

UPDATED: National Park Service Approves Pro Bike Race Through Zion National Park

Jun 10th - 09:16am | Kurt Repanshek

Gila Monster, that count was based on the teams entered in the tour and the number of riders per team, as taken from the tour's website:https://www.tourofutah.com/race/teams

Jun 10th - 08:58am | Gila Monster

Nearly 300 riders are entered in the professional race This is not correct. Professional bike races rarely have more then 200 participants; the Tour of Utah's last editions had circa 120 riders.

Jun 9th - 21:19pm | rmackie

I agree Rick, a bad precedent, it would be interesting to know the pressure applied and on whom it was applied.

Jun 9th - 20:58pm | Rick Smith

Hmm....

Jun 9th - 20:12pm | Lee Dalton

From today's SLC Tribune: http://www.sltrib.com/news/3988342-155/tour-of-utah-will-ride-but

Jun 9th - 20:03pm | Lee Dalton

How early in the morning will this occur and what route will it follow?

Traveler's View: National Park Service Wrong To Permit Zion Bike Race

Jun 10th - 08:59am | David Crowl

To quote John Candy in the movie Vacation... "Wally Worlds closed. The moose out front should have told ya." Totally agree with Travlers view.

Jun 10th - 08:48am | ecbuck

Yeah, a 45 minute delay before most will have finished breakfast, much less entered the park, is just going to ruin their entire vacation. (sarcasm off)  Heck they will likely experience longer delays from TSA lines or road construction on their way to the park.

Jun 10th - 07:53am | Lee Dalton

Excellent, Kurt. There's one key line in this article that everyone should heed: "In acquiescing to this race, and Utah's congressional delegation, the Park Service is turning its back on visitors who made vacation plans many months ago -- no doubt some once-in-a-lifetime plans -- and never anticipated that a professional bike race would impact their visit."

A National Park Superintendent And His Questionable Real Estate Deal

Jun 9th - 22:11pm | convicted felon

How about the fact that under Uberuaga's watch at My Rainer Natl.Park the Paradise wastewater plant never had a wastewater discharge permit, which is required of every wastewater plant in the U.S. by the EPA.

Special Agents Seeking Couple In Connection With Grand Canyon Vandalism

Jun 9th - 22:06pm | Justme

Hell no. They know better and should be given the max penalty.

Jun 8th - 08:00am | Hartie

Fools names in fools places!

Jun 8th - 00:10am | TP in SL

While I am sympathetic that they should be prosecuted for vandalism, when I was pickpocketed in Yellowstone Park's gift shop I couldnt even get access to the videos without a Federal Court Order, much less any other information. The issue could have been resolved within minutes, except the park and store and rangers all report to different agencies who refuse to communicate.

Jun 7th - 16:24pm | Karen

We need federal and state laws with uniform, enforceable policies. Pay for clean up, community service in the park, mandatory class about the park/monument they defaced, barred from parks for life ... things like that.

Jun 7th - 14:04pm | Sarah Calvert

agree!

Jun 7th - 11:55am | Anonymous

Not smart  to leave your name when you commit a criminal act. Big fine and news release of their identities should make them think twice before doing something like this again.

Jun 7th - 11:13am | Sherry C

They just happened to be carrying a can of spray paint. I wonder how many other sites along their trip route have been desecrated as well. I'm guessing this isn't the only one.

Jun 7th - 10:31am | Angie Garcia-Johnson

These people need MUCH. More serious severe punishment. $50,000 fine and 5 years in jail would hardly be enough IMO. They are defacing every American.

Jun 7th - 10:19am | Bill

Don't forget to raise taxes to help build and operate all the prisions that will be needed for all that rotting flesh!

UPDATED: Oregon Man IDed As Hot Spring Victim At Yellowstone National Park

Jun 9th - 19:35pm | mtgnppics

Maybe this would have an impact on visitors:  In the packets handed out at entrances, add copies of newpaper reports of the incidents and their consequences that have occured in Yellowstone.

Jun 9th - 18:06pm | S Holladay

I've been to Yellowstone twice so far and was very impressed by the NPS efforts to ensure visitors' safety.  If the current warnings do not work, I'm pretty sure  additional warnings will be just as thoroughly ignored.

Oregon Man Just Wanted To "Dip His Toe" In A Yellowstone Hot Spring

Jun 9th - 16:34pm | Diana Ewing

Ouch.

Young Man Seen Falling Into Hot Spring At Yellowstone National Park

Jun 9th - 12:05pm | Marcia Higgins

This was a terrible accident, that was totally preventable, had the young man followed the rules. Too many people think "this is a free country" I don't have to follow the rules. This is what can happen. I'm sure his family is devastated, and will want someone to blame. They'll get a lawyer and then the fun begins.

Jun 8th - 15:56pm | Anonymous

I hope these idiots don't ruin these beautiful places for the rest of us who respect nature and the warning signs.

Jun 8th - 14:42pm | [email protected]

Doesn't matter what signs, fences or posts NPS puts up, some tourists think they are at Wally World... or that these warnings not mean them. It's going to just keep happenng, whether picking up bison calves, grizzly bear maulings, or the "invincibles" who just want to jump into a hot spirngs for a little dip.  May be a long season in YNP.

Jun 8th - 08:07am | Anonymous

What a horrible way to die

Short Delays, Nighttime Closures Possible On Yellowstone Roads This Summer

Jun 9th - 08:23am | Elaine Lee

I sent this to all my friends to encourage them to get on the list to receive it for themselves, and  encourage their children to learn about the parks. Not sure if you have a kids edition  As kids we went to alot of parks, and now I live in one here at the Cuyahoga Valley.  Thank you for the beautiful videos about the Grand Canyon.

Photography In The National Parks: From Banff National Park To The Border Of Jasper National Park - An Armchair Photographer’s Guide Part 1

Jun 9th - 06:56am | Rebecca Latson ...

Thank you so much, LindaLu for your kind compliments.  I envy you your trip as the weather should be at its best in July.  You'll get to all the places that were previously snowed-in.  Have a grand time!

Jun 8th - 14:23pm | LindaLu

Your Photos are fabulous! We have been to Banff and Jasper twice in our 66 years of living and plan to visit this year from July 3 - 8, staying in the town of Banff. Your photos and "hints" for capturing the right exposure have been very helpful and made me realize I better brush up on the settings on my camera!

Jun 8th - 05:54am | Rebecca Latson ...

Thank you, AnnD for the kind comments.  I had to laugh over this all and I'm glad you liked the photos and article.

Jun 8th - 05:52am | Rebecca Latson ...

My hero!  The next time I write a single paragraph about metrics or math, I'm running it by you first (grin).

Jun 7th - 16:43pm | AnnD

Five comments and only one regarding the traveler's photos and comments; so I will be 2 of 6 and say thank you! I visited Banff, Jasper, and Lake Louise September 2011 and would love to go back in late spring some time to see the wildflowers and more snow on the peaks.

Jun 7th - 16:38pm | Mike Painter

@J. Ewing: You are correct: Miles are bigger than kilometers. That means it takes FEWER miles to cover the same distance. So you MULTIPLY by .6 to get the approximation. 10 km ? 6 miles. Rebecca was correct in that regard. (Dividing by a decimal < 1 gives you a LARGER number.)

Jun 7th - 12:15pm | Rick B.

Rebecca... we just returned from living in Alaska on the Canadian border and learned to glance at my speedometer for a quick conversion table, as the numbers for metric and American are next to each other. It's mickeymouse as a tool, but works.

Jun 7th - 11:22am | Rebecca Latson ...

Hmmm. What I am doing is simply taking the number itself and multiplying by .6.  So, when someone enters a 5k run, all I really do is multiply the 5 by .6 and get 3, which is analogous to 3 miles.  This is what I learned from a fellow photographer on a photo tour I took several years ago.  So, much to your annoyance, I guess I worded that sentence incorrectly.

When Did Dancing In The Thomas Jefferson Memorial Become A Crime?

Jun 8th - 23:31pm | Harold Chrishna

Thomas jefferson disagrees with you.  He said:  "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."

Couple Wanted In Connection With Grand Canyon National Park Vandalism Located

Jun 8th - 21:45pm | Lee Dalton

Unfortunately, vandalism of this sort is a misdemeanor.  But just maybe, maybe, the magistrate might include a few hundred hours of serious public service in the sentence.  Spending a week or two of full time litter clean-up might be a very appropriate lesson.

Jun 8th - 15:02pm | Rick B.

Well, DO something to them this time.

Ocean Exploration Center Opens At Point Reyes National Seashore

Jun 8th - 18:36pm | Garry Gitzen

This will bring a lot more people to a natural area than a few cow roaming the countryside.  How hypocritical of the National Parks and those who promote natural areas.

Creature Feature: The Banana Slug is Living Proof that a Slimy Little Gastropod Mollusk Can be Loaded with Charisma

Jun 8th - 15:54pm | KJ

Howdy, I was led to this article because I was looking for an answer to a question. Lets see if someone can answer it. I recently found a banana slug in a small pool of water. It wasnt moving so I assumed it drowned. But I didnt know if a banana slug could drown? I moved it to some dirt and it started moving again, definitely alive. So do slugs use puddles of water for something?

DNC Parks & Resorts Retains Concessions Business At Sequoia National Park

Jun 8th - 13:52pm | Frequent park goer

This is disappointing.   We stayed at the park a few years ago and DNC was the worst service, food and attitude we've ever experienced in the park system.  We puposely avoid Parks where they are the vendor.  We did express our concerns to management and where , effectively, blown off.

Traveler Special Report: Separating Oil And Water At Big Cypress National Preserve

Jun 8th - 12:27pm | d-2

!.  The Big Cypress legislation provides no special protection for oil and gas development. 2.  There is no legal "multiple use" because the site is a Preserve.  A Preserve under the law is managed as a park except where specific exceptions are in the law, the Act of 1916, as is all National Park units.

Traveler’s View: Grand Canyon’s Sexual Harassment Chapter Demands Transparency

Jun 8th - 11:58am | d-2

The Canyon harassment is a horror.  Although it looked like a lower-level person would take the hit, in the end the NPS pushed out the Superintendent.  Forcing him to resign, which is what the Director did, is much surer than ending up in litigation and in court.

Snakes Alive! There's An App For That At Everglades National Park

Jun 8th - 08:02am | great

awesome application

Public To Decide How $2 Million In Grants Will Be Split Among National Parks

Jun 7th - 14:58pm | ecbuck

We, the tax paying public, should insist that the parks get funded properly. Would love to see it happen but we have a $544 billion deficit and $20 trillion in debt that we need to address first.

Jun 7th - 14:33pm | Kurt Repanshek

Excellent point, Danny!

Jun 7th - 13:41pm | Danny Bernstein

I'm clicking and clicking but I resent it.Why should the Smokies win a popularity contest to get repairs on Clingmans Dome?That's like a child hoping for socks at Christmas. We, the tax paying public, should insist that the parks get funded properly.Dannywww.hikertohiker.com

National Parks Traveler's Essential Park Guide