You are here

All Recent Comments

Boating Industry Aims To Block Marine Reserve At Biscayne National Park

Jul 3rd - 14:27pm | rmackie

Thank you Traveler for an interesting discussion, we maybe off topic on your blog as it is normally about parks and public lands. While off topic, I was interested in Dr Runte's post on free speech in our educational system. I have been out of the system for several years, so really have no recent experience in which to respond to his concern.

Jul 3rd - 13:26pm | Alfred Runte

The old professor in me cannot resist reminding everyone to stay cool and enjoy the debate. At least there is a debate in the pages of The Traveler, which is more than I can say for the modern university with its speech codes, trigger warnings, and "safe zones." Just the other day, I met a young man attending the University of Washington who reminded me it is worse than I thought.

Jul 2nd - 19:24pm | ecbuck

while making your own baseless accusations So Lee, what baseless accusation have I made?  I suppose I will get the same response I get to the question about climate "science" being so wrong.  Crickets.

Jul 2nd - 18:49pm | Lee Dalton

Sorry, Kurt.  I don't think it was gratuitious.  I was simply trying to point out that he seems to be guilty of the same things he accuses others of doing.  And if I had the opportunity, I would say it to him, just as I"m sure he'd say what he thinks to me.  At least neither of us are hiding behind anonymity.

Jul 2nd - 18:13pm | Kurt Repanshek

Lee, I really don't think your last comment was warranted. Let's try to keep gratuitous comments off this site, and remember that dictum: If you wouldn't say it to someone's face, don't write it here.

Jul 2nd - 18:02pm | Lee Dalton

So, like all the rest of us, Esteemed Comrade, you are forced to try to seek facts in a fib-filled world and reach your own opinions while making your own baseless accusations or misinterpreting comments of others, either accidentally or intentionally.  I respect your right to do that, but disagree strongly with most of your conclusions. Enjoy your Fourth.  Safely.

Jul 2nd - 15:53pm | ecbuck

Lee, I'm afraid there are no and never have been totally unbiased news sources.  Thats why I like to learn the facts and make my own conclusions rather than rely on opinions and baseless accusations.

Jul 2nd - 15:40pm | Kurt Repanshek

Sadly, after nearly 40 years in professional journalism (man, that makes me sound old!), I would have to agree with EC, though some media are worse than others. I do find The Economist plays pretty darn close to the middle of the road, though...

Jul 2nd - 12:09pm | Lee Dalton

The information is out there, one just needs to make an effort to find it and do a little thinking on their own.   Right.  But also make certain one is not reading and listening to only a one-sided echo chamber.  Read, listen and consider what the other side presents, too.  (Even if sometimes, you need to keep a barf bag handy.)

Jul 2nd - 08:34am | ecbuck

Ron's comment about the paucity of unbiased news sources is exactly right

Jul 1st - 23:34pm | Lee Dalton

Alfred and Ron, both good comments.  They (and others here) help illustrate the fact that we have become so polarized in so many things, not only climate change but a few hundred others, that any discussion means digging in our heels and repeating the echoes in our heads instead of carefully LISTENING to what others are saying.

Jul 1st - 22:45pm | rmackie

Thank you Alfred for an interesting comment. I agree "describe, analyze, tell the public what is going on", I think that is an excellent statement. There are many citizens and organizations trying to do that. Unfortunately we have the Communications Act of 1996 which has resulted in six major corporations now owning 90% of the TV stations, including Disney, Comcast, there are 4 more.

Jul 1st - 20:33pm | Alfred Runte

But Lee. The threat of global warming isn't alarming anyone, only those "instructed" to be alarmed. I recall, in 1968, Paul Ehrlich instucting us to be alarmed about overpopulation. "By 1973, when President [Edward] Kennedy takes office, the great famines will have begun." The moment he dropped science to become an alarmist, his credibility was entirely shot.

Jul 1st - 19:30pm | Lee Dalton

EC, I'm sorry about your misinterpretation of my note.  Try reading it again and I'll try to interpret it in simpler form for you.  It's not about "holocaust deniers."  It's about holocaust victims, who like many humans who have faced horrible fates, often resort to a kind of false hope that whatever faces them somehow isn't real.

Jul 1st - 16:45pm | Alfred Runte

Now, boys! Be nice! But EC does have a point. There is no equation between the Holocaust and climate change. Those denying the Holocaust today are neo-Nazis. Those "denying" climate change aren't "denying" a thing. They are rather debating it--which scientists are supposed to do. No debate in science ever closes. The minute it does, it becomes a belief.

Jul 1st - 15:54pm | ecbuck

Rick, you make Forest Gump look like a turtle.  It is interesting that you are more than willing to engage with your snarky comments and put downs but when you are asked a simple question of fact you suddenly clam up.  You don't answer because you don't have an answer.

Jul 1st - 13:01pm | Rick B.

Eric...  a voice for such a minority opinion forces itself to be loud. None of us are under any obligation to engage with you. You are not our professor, spouse, boss, or anything other than a loud voice of a minority opinion. Have a very nice smurfy day. We aren't running away from you, just turning our backs and walking away.

Jul 1st - 08:28am | Ralph Steele

Although a marine reserve would indeed help preserve and restore the reefs, as stated by many, have the FWC, and Park Rangers check ALL boats coming in at public and private marinas for illegal catches. If they would enforce the already existing rules plus check on anchorages a lot of the existing problems would not be there. The answers lie in the enforcement of existing rules!

Jul 1st - 07:50am | ecbuck

Both are. So Rick, if you are so confident about climate change "science", please tell us why the predictions by that "science" have been so wrong.  Simple question from which the Ricks, Ron, Tahoma, et al run like hell.  Now that is what I call disgusting.

Jul 1st - 02:06am | Rick B.

Yup. Both are.

Jun 30th - 20:55pm | ecbuck

Lee - all I can say is "disgusting".  Equating holocaust deniers to climate deniers?  Disgusting.

Jun 30th - 20:48pm | Lee Dalton

I watched an excellent, but heart wrenching movie about the Holoaust recently.  One scene in it reminded me in a shocking way of what seems to be an excellent parallel to today's climate deniers. It's human nature to try to deny things that seem threatening and frightening.  If I can deny that it's really happening, then maybe it's not.

Jun 30th - 19:30pm | ecbuck

but would add that our human contributions to climate change are part of the issue Part of the issue?  What part?  How big is that part? What part of the zero increase over the last 18 years was caused by human contributions?

Jun 30th - 17:34pm | rmackie

Agree Dr. Runte, but would add that our human contributions to climate change are part of the issue in the name of "economy and growth".

Jun 30th - 16:18pm | Eileen Kilroy

Protect our parks from corporate profit.

Jun 30th - 11:57am | Alfred Runte

Oh, oh. I think we're getting perilously close to global warming again. But yes, science is as easily corrupted as history. Just ask the two courts that recently ruled against the BLM for preparing woefully inadequate environmental impact statements favoring "green" energy at Searchlight, Nevada, and Steens Mountain, Oregon.

Jun 30th - 11:04am | ecbuck

Agreed Rick - all science that can produce predictable and reproducable results matters.  Science that repeatedly makes grossly inaccurate predictions based on made up data, biased assumptions and manipulation is not "science".

Jun 30th - 10:45am | rmackie

Thank you tahoma, unfortunately it appears science does have dictated values and results. On a related issue, dealing with "Today's New Contagions", a very informative article by Sonia Shah in this issue of the Nation Magazine lays it pretty well.  Different issue but, as Lee Dalton point out in many of his posts, same results.

Jun 30th - 10:33am | Rick B.

All Science Matters.

Jun 30th - 10:27am | ecbuck

tahoma - if they are so right, why are their predictions based on their "science" so wrong?  And why is the "science" produced by the state of Florida and less valid than the "science" used by the NPS? Or for that matter, the otherway around.  I think all science should be considered.  But I will say, I wish Congress would quit micromanaging.

Jun 30th - 10:08am | tahoma

"Additionally, the bill calls for science produced by the state of Florida to take precedence over the science the Park Service used to justify creation of the marine reserve."Holy guacamole!  Real science doesn't have legislatively dictated values or results.  The Florida delegation appears to have a serious case of cranial-rectal insertion:

Survey Shows Visitors Would Support Higher Entrance Fees To See Yellowstone National Park Bears

Jul 3rd - 05:21am | AJ

I am a foreigner, coming from Europe, and I think that paying $50 extra is a lot. I went once in Yellowstone, and I will be there this August too. Most of the bearjams I have seen were made by American people, stopping their car in the middle of road and acting as if they were at Disneyworld, shouting and laughing. I even have seen some otf them feeding coyotes with snacks to make a picture.

A Walk In The Woods

Jul 2nd - 20:54pm | ottoman

"Movies = make believe." Obviously, but some are much better than others and I think that was the point. Compare Miracle on 34th Street from 1947 with the one made in 1994, vastly different qualities while still being "make believe".

Jul 2nd - 17:12pm | BillH52

Movies = make believe.  Perhaps based an a slight amount of truth; but still, make believe.  There were one or two moments in the movie which conveyed positive and real world statments, then others which were inappropriate.  Overall, it was not a documentary.

Jul 2nd - 11:07am | ecbuck

You have not been on the hikes I have.

Jul 2nd - 10:07am | Bill Stock

You have not been on the hikes I have. 35 years- average 300 miles a summer.  I recognized their encounters & yes they were potraying their age & their reduced capacities.  I am 75- hiking- and enjoyed the movie. Perhaps you need special effects, fantasy , blazing action, which predominates today.  Try " the hundred yard walk " for another dose of realism.

Jul 2nd - 08:25am | ecbuck

Agreed.  This movie didn't capture the humor of the book or the essence of hiking the trail.  Waste of time.

Too Many Retirements Impacting National Park Service Law Enforcement Ranks

Jul 2nd - 20:11pm | No net loss for...

Yes having the right amount of people available to respond to crime, fight your fires, and provide emergency medical care will always be more important than the park's website. Sorry

Scientist’s Research On Dark Skies Above National Parks Aids In Study Of Light Pollution

Jul 2nd - 19:03pm | Lee Dalton

Here's a link that includes the entire world: http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap160630.html

Jun 30th - 16:35pm | Barbara K. Bobo

I would think that Great Basin National Park would qualify as well!

National Park Basics For RVing Newbies

Jul 2nd - 15:12pm | William Guy

We could never find a spot in Olympic NP for a 29 ft 5th wheel. Many cases the tree limbs are too low and turns in campgrounds impossible. The worst was that sites that could be usable had concrete curb blocks halfway downdownload the length of the sites making them too small for our not very large 5th.

Great Smoky Mountains National Park Extends Comment Period For Camping Fee Increases

Jul 2nd - 06:45am | SmokiesBackpacker

Yeah.  And they will stuff the ballots with employee comments indicating that they love the fee, meanwhile the public comments, the true, non NPS comments, will overwhelm them in the NO direction.

Two Dead, Four Saved After Fishing Boat Capsizes At Glacier Bay National Park

Jul 1st - 21:51pm | Larry A.

I personally know the owner of this boat.  I had the pleasure last August to fulfill a lifelong dream of halibut fishing in Alaska. My heart is filled with sadness for everyone as I know they were having a great time and to have it end so tragically is mindnumbing.

Concerts Coming To Homestead National Monument Of America

Jul 1st - 19:37pm | Lee Dalton

Sounds like great fun.  It might even be worth driving all the way over there from here.  Homestead and its surrounding community, Beatrice, are a couple of the most delightful places I've ever visited. I sure wish I could go . . . . .

Changing The Designation Of Colorado National Monument Not In The Offing

Jul 1st - 18:09pm | Terri Chappell

I'm late to comment on this because I just came across it but am doing so because it si still on the web.  As founder of Grand Valley Region Citizens for a national park I wanted to correct some errors in the above post.

What Should The National Park Service Do With The Enchanted Valley Chalet At Olympic National Park?

Jul 1st - 17:42pm | Rangerskip

The chalet brings back many fond childhood memories of hiking across the Olympics from Lake Quinault to Dosewallips back in the early 1960's. Those early experiences had a lot to do with my decision to become a Park Ranger. My attachment to the chalet is purely sentimental. The rational side of me thinks it is impractical to save in place.

Voyageurs National Park Officials To Continue Discussions Into Proposed Campsite Reservation System

Jul 1st - 06:45am | 18576

First come first served was much better.  I visited VNP for many, many years.  It is my favorite spot on Earth.  It essentially has been taken away from me with this pay/reservation policy.  I already pay for parks in my taxes (did anyone think first before voting in the conservative right wing repubs?).  $90.00 for four nights in a tent?

Traveler's Gear Box: Wind Warrior

Jun 30th - 19:42pm | Wind Warrior

Thank you Kurt, for the great review. I just want to let your readers know we have addressed the stake going into the bag issue. We now round the corners of the square part of the stake and the pointed tip comes with a protective tip on it for when it's stored in the bag.

Photography In The National Parks: Remembering My Photographer Father On Father’s Day

Jun 30th - 16:44pm | Barbara K. Bobo

Yes, wonderful photography....I cherish the pics my dad took too, of 50's-and 60's vacations in  a 50's era Chevy station wagon....pole tents and Coleman camp stoves and those finger pinching fold up cots!

New Cooking Techniques With An Old Pot

Jun 30th - 16:27pm | Barbara K. Bobo

I am an avid Dutch Oven cook, and although the weight of these pots are considerable, they are TOPS in flavor and ease of use.  I recommend real lard for seasoning, and cooking with as well, your pies will never taste better!  I travel the American west and Mexico with my  pots and use a claw hammer to lift my pot lids.

National Parks Traveler's Essential Park Guide