You are here

All Recent Comments

UPDATED: Draft Of "Grand Bargain" For Utah Public Lands Draws Attacks

Jan 20th - 14:27pm | Lee Dalton

Not yet, Bob.  I haven't had a chance to look at the website yet.  But just noticed that Kurt (who I had the pleasure of meeting for the first time at the press conference) has added a map to the top of this article.

Jan 20th - 14:12pm | Bob Pahre

Thanks for the info, Lee.  I know the tiny small parcel at the south of Arches.  Do you know what would be protected in the other two?

Jan 20th - 12:17pm | Lee Dalton

I attended the meeting at the Capitol this morning.  Simply listening to Bishop and Chafetz, the whole thing sounded wonderful.  Then some people started asking questions and Bishop responded with some attacks on "environmentalists."  He specifically pointed a claim that "some of them have been using an old draft version of the bill" and that their concerns were not valid because

UPDATED: Petition Drive To Keep Historic Names In Yosemite National Park Gaining Momentum

Jan 20th - 13:35pm | rmackie

Good point David Crowl, I know it is a complex issue. One interesting comment by ypc pointed out, that upon the change from MCA to a new concessionaire,there was much that happened.

Jan 20th - 12:07pm | David Crowl

If the trade mark names are proven to belong to DNC it still is only worth what the market will bear. rmackie brings up a possibility that this was not transfered could be proven in court. All interesting. But you cannot just petition away someones ownership of a trademark.

Jan 20th - 11:01am | Alfred Runte

Oh, please, EC. "Corporations are more heavily regulated today than they have ever been before." That's their spin, but it's not good history. Look at all of the crap the airlines have been pulling since the elimination of the Civil Aeronautics Board. Same with the railroads and the elimination of the Interstate Commerce Commission.

Jan 20th - 08:44am | ecbuck

rmackie, "Was" a time when they were heavily regulated?  Corporations are more heavily regulated today than they ever have been before.

Jan 20th - 08:13am | Waz

Changing the names was a smart move.  It prevents DNC from making an argument in court that the parks and new concessionaire are illegally using the names startinbg 3/1.  It also reduces the value of the names as a barganing chip for DNC.  I don't think the name change will be in place forever and expect the NPS to evenually get the names back in a court settlement.

Jan 19th - 22:57pm | rmackie

Unfortunately Lee,I think it is more than a few. There was a time in this country when corporate entities where tightly regulated. Across most states ,they were prohibited  from, among other things, making political contributions. That changed after the Civil War with the growth of railroad monopolies., industrialization, etc. and the wealth and power they obtained.

Jan 19th - 19:04pm | ecbuck

Jan 19th - 14:57pm | Lee Dalton

Unfortunately, there are more than just a few large corporations that have completely abandoned even a pretense of exercising ethical conduct or using honesty as their standard.  But then again, I guess that's really nothing new.

Jan 19th - 14:48pm | ecbuck

EC has a point, many believe, and some state supreme courts have so stated, that the sole purpose of a corporation is to make a profit for its shareholders/stakeholders. Unless you are a socialist or a communist, I can't see on what basis anyone could come to any other conclusion.

Jan 19th - 13:51pm | y_p_w

I'd note that it is a little bit more complex because of when the trademarks were filed.  I did a search and at least two were registered when Yosemite Park & Curry Company actually owned the Ahwahnee Hotel and operated the Bracebridge Dinner.  Now whether or not the title of those trademarks were properly transferred to Delaware North is another matter.

Jan 19th - 12:35pm | Jenny Munro

The historic names were there before the concessionaire was there. The names should remain with the park. If they don't, the concessionaire should not be allowed to use them. It's only a way  to try to rip off the taxpayer.

Jan 19th - 11:56am | rmackie@sti.net

Lee, I am certainly not an expert in any of this, but I do think that, among other legal arguments, the Historic Preservation Act prohibits trademarking sites listed on the National register. But you are right, with that much money on the table, who pays attention to reading the law. The issue will probably have to be litigated, the courts sorting it all out. It is a darn shame in my view.

Jan 19th - 11:03am | ecbuck

DNC cares nothing for the law Yeah, that's why they were using the legal process to keep what they thought was theirs.  And of course they are seeking to pull more money into their coffers.  That is the purpose of their existence.

Jan 19th - 09:24am | Lee Dalton

Agreed, Comrade.  DNC cares nothing for the law nor, apparently, for much of anything else involving anything that won't pull more money into their coffers.  If they did, people wouldn't be upset about the situation.

Jan 19th - 08:37am | ecbuck

However,the petition cites no legal mechanism for Congress to use to achieve that goal. Of course not, the law means nothing to these folks.

National Park Service Fires Highly Valued Superintendent For Refusing New Job

Jan 20th - 10:21am | Anonymous

@Forest Lover - No, more like a Forest Supervisor. Some national forests like San Bernandino are incredibly complex with hundreds and hundreds of employees, some are like the somewhat-tiny Sam Houston National Forest where the total acreage and staff is smaller than any one district in San Bernandino. Just like there is a big difference between Sitka NHP versus Yellowstone NP.

Jan 20th - 02:36am | Forest Lover

A National Park Service Superintendent is equivalent to a Forest Service District Ranger, both are responsible for managing public land acres and employees that do the work.

Jan 19th - 18:01pm | Another Sitka P...

"The only thing the National Park Service did wrong was to take so long to remove her from office." I FULLY agree with this response. In the Juneau Empire article from 2010, I'd like to point out this excerpt:

UPDATED: Yosemite National Park To Change Historic Lodge Names To Avoid Trademark Fight

Jan 20th - 04:36am | sjh0006

Agreed!  Lease don't sell.

Jan 19th - 15:07pm | Angelo

On the one hand, the name change is great, as the conspicuous appearance of these strange names, and the historic signage not matching the names in the brochures will call attention to a very relevant theme in national park and American history.

Jan 19th - 14:29pm | PO'd

I can't think of any time that will happen....

Jan 19th - 14:27pm | ecbuck

Aren't lawyers considered just one step above slime-mold on the evolutionary scale?? Until you need one.

Jan 19th - 13:57pm | PO'd

Reader Survey Day: What Untold Stories Do You Want Told?

Jan 19th - 23:25pm | Tom Harvey

I would like to see a story about the native American rock art in the Parks, especially the least accessible.  It's getting almost impossible to get info from NPS employees.  It seems like their assumption is that if the locations are made too easy to obtain, We The People will over run the site or vandalize it.

Jan 19th - 13:45pm | NPS Lover

How about a story about how much NPS spends on "planning" at the Ice Age National Scenic Trail" compared to similar parks around the country and compared to what was spent on planning the AT? About ten years ago an NPS official from the east stated, "You are planning the Ice Age Trail to death" in a meeting with NPS IATR staff and partner organization officials.

B-29 Superfortress That Lies at the Bottom of Lake Mead Continues to Draw Attention

Jan 19th - 21:59pm | Boeing emp

The B 29 is  history and should be raised and preserved

Montana Man Had Little Time To React To Grizzly Attack

Jan 19th - 16:24pm | Ray Bane

Bear spray is great stuff, but it's a good idea to get a little training in using it.  Distance, wind direction, bear escape options, presence of cubs, etc. all play a role in deciding when and how to employ pepper spray.  When I was flying NPS aircraftI made it a policy to place bear spray in the floats.

Jan 18th - 08:48am | Rick Smith

And not carrying bear spray?

Grand Canyon National Park Officials Accused Of Overlooking Sexually Hostile Environment

Jan 19th - 14:31pm | clueless

Does anyone know what a "penis straw"is....?

Yellowstone National Park Proposing Bison Quarantine Program

Jan 19th - 12:59pm | jmeson75

I completely agree.

What Will Rep. Rob Bishop's "Grand Bargain" Offer The Public Lands Kingdom?

Jan 19th - 10:26am | Lee Dalton

A call to the capitol revealed that the "press conference" will be held a 9 a.m. in the Gold Room on the second floor of the main capitol building.  Attending should be an interesting experience.  I hope some other Traveler buffs from Utah will be there, too.

Mojave National Preserve Ranger Buys Fully Automatic Rifles And “Flash-Bang” Distraction Devices

Jan 19th - 08:18am | tahoma

I doubt flash bang devices or fully automatic weapons would have prevented Ranger Margaret Anderson's murder.  A WA fugitive alert had been issued the day before for her killer, but news reports at the time said the park was not connected to the alert system, so she never knew she was dealing with violent criminal on the run rather than a tire-chain scofflaw.

132-Year-Old Winchester Rifle Found At Great Basin National Park

Jan 19th - 05:22am | Bowenb

This is a great find but just one thing. how old is the tree its leaning against? Is the tree over a 100 yrs,something to check.

Fatal Grizzly Mauling In Yellowstone National Park Highlights Need For Better Safety Practices By Hikers

Jan 18th - 23:57pm | Kevin Hock

I would only be in known bear country with a firearm. I wish to use all my resources to preserve my life. I would hate to need to use deadly force, I'm a human with the option to defend myself with a firearm, and feel if I want to be in the wild, prepare for it best I know how, and preservation of life is 1# in my book.

Jan 18th - 21:53pm | Dave Smith

It's impossilbe to make a valid comparison of the studies on bear spray and firearms. The majority of bear-human encounters in the 2 studies on bear spray are about people--including wildlife professionals--using bear spray to haze curious or non-aggressive bears.

Jan 18th - 21:53pm | Lee Dalton

http://www.outsideonline.com/1899301/shoot-or-spray-best-way-stop-chargi... The full study is available, but costs about $45 to obtain a copy. Then there is this from Field and Stream.

Jan 18th - 16:31pm | ecbuck

Perhaps Dave and dahkota could link us to their respective studies.

Jan 18th - 16:02pm | dahkota

Interesting, Dave Smith. In reports I read, Bear Spray was effective in 92% of brown bear close encounters, 90% of black bear close encounters, and 100% of polar bear encounters (there were only two). Further, 98% of people, in bear/human encounters, came out with only minor, if any, injuries.

Jan 18th - 10:27am | Lee Dalton

Ed Abbey said it very well.  "If humans insist on invading grizzly bear territory, they shouldn't object when a bear occasionally harvests a trespasser."

Jan 18th - 10:02am | som sai

Yellowstone is a lot of fun and beautiful too, but lets face it it's just a zoo for city folks, playground, like Central Park. People want to see wildlife and pretend they are wild. Some are going to get eaten. Bears do eat people.

Jan 18th - 09:26am | Dave Smith

I am not a true believer in bear spray, however, the question I would ask to people who choose not to carry bear spray or a firearm for self-defense while hiking in grizzly country is, "What are your options during a worst-case scenario?" Running is not a option. Running for a climbable tree and then climbing until your feet are a minimum of 10 ft.

Jan 18th - 09:19am | dahkota

I think the time would be better spent training the humans to be afraid of bears. Or at least a little less stupid. I spent more than a month this summer in Montana and Wyoming and I always carried bear spray. Hiking alone in known bear territory - he knew better but went anyway. He wanted to use his "vigilance?" I guess it works, until it doesn't.

Jan 18th - 08:45am | Rick Smith

And how do you plan to have the rangers train the bears?

Lake Mead National Recreation Area Home To More Than 100 Eagles

Jan 18th - 17:39pm | Alfred Runte

Before anyone gets too confident about these eagles, you should know that the environs of the Lake Mead National Recreation just east of Searchlight, Nevada, have been targeted for a massive wind farm. A poor environmental impact statement has temporarily stalled it, but you know what they say about patience and money. Here is the latest from the Desert Protective Council:

Assateague Island's Horses Cooling Off In The Surf

Jan 18th - 15:34pm | Del Higgins

Sorry to hear you did not like the fade in or outs of the vdeo. I just didnt want to cut to a different scene without some kind of fade.

Jan 18th - 15:30pm | Del Higgins

Thank you for sharing my video.

Toddler Dies After Drinking Citronella Oil at Chickasaw National Recreation Area Campsite

Jan 18th - 14:18pm | Anonymous User

I suspect the first commentor assumes that the citronella oil belonged to the park facilities. But that isn't specified.

National Parks Traveler's Essential Park Guide