You are here

All Recent Comments

House Bill Requests Granting National Park Status To Chiricahua National Monument

Oct 1st - 10:28am | English Teacher

"And no Lee, if 50% of the students are failing, its [sic] not the students that have a problem."

Sep 30th - 22:21pm | Lee Dalton

Human naure might be, but I haven't experienced much of that.

Sep 30th - 20:00pm | ecbuck

There are a lot of things in this poor old world that just don't make a whole lot of sense, aren't there? Actually Lee, human naure is quite predictable.

Sep 30th - 19:51pm | Lee Dalton

Yes.  There are a lot of things in this poor old world that just don't make a whole lot of sense, aren't there? Politics has to be right there at the top of the list of nonsensical nonsense.

Sep 30th - 19:13pm | ecbuck

currently Congress gets a passing grade from only 20% of Americans with 76% saying they are failing Yet around 50% like their own Congressman and the reelection rate is some 90%.  Obviously these folks are not

Sep 30th - 16:29pm | Rick B.

Watch out, Lee. You don't wanna be labelled baseless again.

Sep 30th - 16:09pm | Lee Dalton

If 50% of the students in a class received an F, the first place to look is at the students.  Blaming the teacher is the usual escape route these days, but students just might be the cause of the problem.

Sep 30th - 15:11pm | ecbuck

You have no idea how their grading system works I know that if they are giving 50% an F, they are out of line with what the rest of the country thinks. If 50% of a class of students recieved an F, would you blame it on the students or the teacher/test?

Sep 30th - 14:55pm | Rick B.

You have no idea how their grading system works, just that you have different opinions. Another baseless "out of wack [sic]".

Sep 30th - 13:37pm | ecbuck

54% of House members and 47% of senators received an F That tells me that is is NPAF's grading system that is out of wack not McSally's voting record.

Sep 30th - 12:20pm | Frank Bergen

Sep 29th - 12:55pm | CJDillon

Gary -

Sep 29th - 10:16am | Ghost of Steven...

Creating Chirichaua National Park is a wonderful idea and much overdue; albeit not in its current form.  CNM is surrounded by Coronado National Forest, Douglas Ranger District.  This "sky island" range is very diverse and much of this district should be included within the national park proposal.

Sep 28th - 19:51pm | Gary Wilson

Sep 28th - 16:49pm | Michael Kellett

I love Chiricahua National Monument. But this would be the third smallest national park -- smaller than Virgin Islands National Park. It is great that Rep. McSally is a national park advocate and willing to introduce this legislation. However, such a small park would not do this amazing ecosystem justice.

Sep 28th - 11:28am | CJDillon

A perfect example of the ridiculous notion that the term national "park" has any more meaning that national monument, lakeshore, historic site, or other designation.

Sep 28th - 11:17am | Dick

Chiricahua is a lovely park, but it doesn't strike me as "National Park" calibre (a subjective assessment, to be sure). I'd prefer to see this one remain a hidden (i.e. uncrowded) treasure.

Sep 28th - 09:06am | ecbuck

Interesting that it wasn't mentioned that McSally is a Republican.  BTW Did we ever get an answer regarding who has authority to add/expand/contract a park?  Why is she proposing legislation if it can be done by DOI fiat as some suggested earlier?

Survey Says National Park Service Is Far from the Best Government Agency to Work For

Oct 1st - 05:31am | Rob

I have worked seasonally, and term, since 9/11.

Yosemite National Park Superintendent Resigns Amid Allegations

Sep 30th - 15:07pm | SmokiesBackpacker

Heaven forbid Jarvis ever resign, despite being asked to do so by many congress folks.  It's just his agency responsible for all this. Too embarassing for the NPS on their 100th anniv.

Stargazing Event Coming To Cades Cove In Great Smoky Mountains National Park

Sep 30th - 13:18pm | Owen Hoffman

Dome out and join the fun!  There will be a large number of different types of telescopes being used, each staffed by a knowledgeable amateur astronomer (and at least one professional astronomer).  I will serve as the roving MC for this event.  Let's hope for clear skies.

Segways in the National Parks: Do We Really Need Them?

Sep 30th - 11:25am | argalite

To the people with bad knees:  get a wheelchair!  I have bad knees and would rather ride a bike, particularly in wilderness, but I can't.  Segways are not street legal, so no roads, and they take up too much room on the trails, which were not designed for them.  Now if you want to use the Honda U3X, that might be ok, as it does not take up too much room

Sep 29th - 18:14pm | Wil

OIG: National Park Service Director Skirted Ethics Office In Writing Book, Reprimanded

Sep 30th - 10:53am | Pennsylvania Farmboy

It's curious to me, Disgruntled Citizen, that you mention only Republican presidents.

Sep 29th - 12:34pm | Disgruntled Citizen

The man knew the rules when he accepted the appointment,  so there is NO excuse for breaking them! The public's lack of trust in our government is due to such actions by the likes of Nixon, Reagan, George W. Bush and now Jarvis. Why are others made to"toe the line", while Jarvis be excused? No, his reprimand was necessary.

Clyde Butcher Captures National Parks In Black And White

Sep 30th - 09:16am | Gail Jenner

Love anything that portrays our beautiful national parks....would love to share that my book, HISTORIC REDWOODS NATIONAL AND STATE PARKS, also just out in celebration of the NPS's 100th Anniversary! We have so much to be grateful for in the preservation of these sacred places! I will be looking for this book, to be sure!  Gail L. Jenner

Rebirth Spreading Across Burned Area Of Shenandoah National Park

Sep 29th - 14:14pm | Alex M

Do eastern hemlocks typically show regeneration after a fire?

Association Calls For Tobacco Ban At All Parks And Recreation Centers

Sep 29th - 12:16pm | JoAnne Bissell

Research shows in the US we have 36.1 + million people with respiratory diseases. This does not include the new lung cancers diagnosed every year. We also need campfire free areas for those of us who do not want to or cannot stand the exposure (many things are burned besides wood). I go to the country for clean air not campfire smoke.

Sep 29th - 11:16am | John Grabill

National parks have much bigger problems then visitors that smoke.  How about concentrating on those issues rather then telling me how to live my life!  Smoking is banned in buildings and on most trails.  I don't like hearing generators running and they pollute the air too.  Let's ban them.  Campfires are not good for the environment, so let's ban them.

Sep 29th - 08:38am | ecbuck

So I guess we all agree on this one. Everyone but Rick who wants to force others to live the way Rick thinks they should live.

Sep 29th - 06:33am | Richard B. Atki...

If the National or State parks want to do this, then they will lose business.  I don't mind not smoking in doors, however, if I am outdoors in the open, people around me will not be that affected from "secondary smoke".  It will disapate rapidly.  Smokers, believe it or not, have constitutional rights also and this could be a possible lawsuit if enough smokers wanted to challenge

Sep 28th - 21:59pm | Randy N

as long as they agree not to accept any tax money from tobacco or related items from local state or federal agencie. they should also refuse any and all tax monies from alcohol sales or allow it in the parks...alcohol has been traced back to more whole family deaths at one time than second hand smoke.....also ban football baseball  bike riding........I think you get the point

Sep 28th - 21:37pm | Lee Dalton

NRPA, like thousands of other organizations and groups, is perfectly within its rights to advocate for government agencies to enact -- or repeal -- rules.  I was responding to an earlier commenter who seemed to think it was coming from the NPS or some other government agency. Gary's comment is absolutely correct. So I guess we all agree on this one.

Sep 28th - 18:51pm | ecbuck

Gary, for once we agree.  And for Lee - it is not a government agency advocating for this move (at least not in this article) but the NRPA is advocating that a government agency enact the rule

Sep 28th - 18:41pm | Gary Wilson

I'm definitely not a smoker, and personally hate being anywhere near people that are smoking.  I do find it irritating when I walk to a visitor center, and there's always some guy standing right near the entrance smoking while kids and people are entering.

Sep 28th - 17:43pm | Lee Dalton

Let's make it clear that this is not a government agency advocating this move.

Sep 28th - 16:33pm | Rick B.

Sep 28th - 16:23pm | ecbuck

When I tell you how to live your life, you can call me a snob.  Until then, you can claim that self proclaimed title for your self.

Sep 28th - 14:45pm | Rick B.

OK, fellow snob.

Sep 28th - 14:41pm | ecbuck

Them smoking where the smoke affects me

Sep 28th - 13:18pm | Rick B.

Sorry, fellow healthy person Eric. Them smoking where the smoke affects me is THEM forcing their lifestyle choices on me and others non-consensually. How common-people of you to accuse others with an education of snobbery. Right off the RNC talking points memo.

Sep 28th - 08:38am | ecbuck

Rick -Despite your baseless claim,  I do know it is not healthy and I don't smoke.  But I don't make that choice for others.  Some may be willing to give up years of their life for what they believe is the pleasure of smoking.  They know it isn't healthy but they make that choice. Should we ban sugar in the parks?  Alcohol?   Risky activities?

Sep 27th - 21:51pm | Robert Mitchell

While your at it you should ban camp fires because it triggers asthma attacks. If health is your thing I think you should outlaw soda, hot dogs, marshmallows and Hershey bars. I know you don't get it but you are a government agency and should be restricted by The Constitution.

Sep 27th - 21:08pm | Rick B.

It isn't second hand "nuisance". It isn't a "lifestyle choice". Unless you are the bought-and-paid-for Mike Pence telling us tobacco doesn't cause cancer, it is a HEALTH issue. It isn't snobbery to know more about health issues than you - it is education.

Sep 27th - 19:10pm | ecbuck

Any intent to prevent a second hand nuisance is fine by me but to enforce their lifestyle choices on others is just more "we know better than you" snobery.  Who are they to tell others what their life choices should be?

Sep 27th - 16:50pm | John Campbell

As long as vaping is allowed, I'm ok with it. But if the nicotine nazi's demand they be banned, also, they should not.

Higher Entrance, Camping Fees Coming To Olympic National Park

Sep 28th - 18:01pm | micha

I was told there is no more fees for the entrence to the sul duc valley. True?

House Committee Grills National Park Service Deputy Director Over Misconduct

Sep 27th - 21:34pm | Rick B.

At least be accurate in your hate, TA. I heard her apologize, millions who watched the debate last night heard her apologize. Get some other malfeasant to cite.

Sep 27th - 20:37pm | trailadvocate

Maybe they should never apologize (Like Hillary).  Never give up the lie, right?  That's what those at the top of the pyramid does.  Something to think about, no?

Exploring The Parks: High Season In Yoho National Park

Sep 27th - 20:43pm | Hiker Stuck in ...

One of my favorite parks in North America. Great, not good hiking. The Lake O'Hara area (the Alpine Curcuit!!!!) is up there with Yosemite, Berner Oberland, NZ Alps, you name it. Nearby McCarthur Lake is my all-time favorite lake. I've done the Burgess Shale guided hike as well as the Iceline and Emerald Triangle. Hope to return (for the 6th time) in 2018.

National Parks Traveler's Essential Park Guide