You are here

All Recent Comments

Thousands Call To Reject Permit Requested By Industrial Hog Farm Upstream Of Buffalo National River

Mar 29th - 04:33am | Bannon Gallaher

This river is one of the most untouched areas in the state. A true window to the past. We, as Arkansans have a special duty to uphold and defend the very title we take so much pride in, "The Natural State".

Mar 29th - 01:27am | Sharon L. Ash

We can't "restore" our lovely rivers and watersheds afterwards;  this is our chance to not further taint our shared resources.  Please restrain this blight on nature.

Mar 28th - 21:15pm | Charles Bunting

Such beautiful country.  My wife and I considefred moving to the Jasper area years ago but decided to move closer to our grandchildren instead.

Mar 28th - 19:16pm | Martha DeChant

After learning about the karst limestone here, I am more concerned than ever about the potential for a disaster.  I have been blessed with having family camping trips every summer throughout the 60's.  We took a month and camped all along the way.  Most of the time, we stayed at our National Parks and National Forests.

Mar 28th - 17:31pm | Carol Bitting

This has been one of the hardest battles I've ever had to fight. Last summer I saw algae from shore to shore and feet thick on an 11 mile float trip on the Buffalo River. This algae is in an already impaired section of the Buffalo River, impaired from 2008.

Senior Pass Price Won't Jump To $80 Until October 1

Mar 28th - 22:01pm | John Date

go to any national park or monument and purchase one there no extra fees just $10

Mar 28th - 21:59pm | John Date

No need to renew your pass is for life not to worry youe set for life

Mar 27th - 19:45pm | Charles Vandergriff

Your pass should still be valid after Oct 1. Also, they do have a disabled pass which is free.

President's Energy Plan, Scrapping Of Obama Climate Action Plan Draw Criticisms

Mar 28th - 21:30pm | Rick B.

His governing by executive order is largely public masturbation. Most implementation of this one in particular will be in litigation for years.   Prepare to hear the rants of the flat earth society in opposition to my comment.

Mar 28th - 17:13pm | Acadia on my mind

We'd include Acadia National Park as among the iconic parks that would be at risk with rising seas and other changes that could come with climate change.

THIRTEEN's Nature Explores The Impact Of Climate Change On The Ecosystem Of Yosemite

Mar 28th - 21:26pm | Ron Mackie

Interesting article.

Mar 28th - 19:18pm | ecbuck

If the norms rise, extremes flatten out;   Why would that be?

Mar 28th - 18:47pm | dahkota

Can you please provide a reference for the claim: "Using a stable set of ground based stations, the number of daily maximum temperature records peaked in the 1930's and have been generally declining ever since." In Google it just comes up as word salad.

Mar 28th - 16:41pm | ecbuck

Peer.  How does bringing back jobs to the US help his wealthiest buddies?  How does keeping illegals out - illegals that are providing cheap labor to the "wealthy" and taking jobs from US citizens help the wealthy and hurt the poor?  How does easing the regulatory burden that raises prices and reduces jobs hurt the "unwealthy"?   What "own interest" is Trump preserving?

Mar 28th - 15:49pm | Alfred Runte

Speaking of billionaires, foolishness, and so-called peer reviews. . . This recently out from the Los Angeles Times Book Review. I know; it's a liberal publication, but what the heck? Go ahead and read it anyway. Just don't start acting like Donald Trump and read the whole thing.

Mar 28th - 14:25pm | peer reviewed s...

He's a billionaire and President who manipulates the fools in order to preserve his own interests and those of his wealthy buddies.

Mar 25th - 09:36am | ecbuck

Yeah he is so foolish, he is a billionaire and President.

Mar 24th - 22:56pm | Rick B.

Quoting that dunderhead in the White House with his nonsensical "Fake News" slogan doesn't make you look like the sharpest knife in the drawer. It just makes you look like a puppet of a fool.

Mar 24th - 09:43am | beachdumb

Despite the recent heavy rains and snowfall, scientists are finding that water is scarcer and the threat of fire is more likely as the area continues to experience rising temperatures upsetting that important balance.

Huge Increase In Tour Bus Traffic At Yellowstone National Park

Mar 28th - 19:53pm | Sharon W.

I agree with the comment that for-profit tour busses should be charged a premium for the Yellowstone experience. However, I've heard that the tour busses (who brought in 500,000 Chinese last year according to the papers)are charged less than $200 to enter the Park, and that's with 50 passengers.  Would someone explain if that is not true and my information is incorrect?

Mar 25th - 11:28am | Karl in Clancy

We love Yellowstone in the winter, when there is practically no one else there.  We avoid it like the plague during the summer months.  It is a zoo and the animals are not amused by the numbers of two legged pests. I work in public health and we have to recommend rabies post exposure prophylaxis entirely too many times for stupid tourists who cannot comprehend what a wild animal is.

Mar 24th - 12:21pm | Susan in Pittsburgh

imagine if all of those bus travelers came in rental cars! Many parks are using or considering shuttle buses anyway as a more effienct means of transporting visitors. However, I do hope that for-profit tour companies are being charged a premium for the use of our public resources.

Sens. Warner, Portman Introduce Legislation To Wipe Out National Park Service Maintenance Backlog

Mar 28th - 17:38pm | Lee Dalton

Nice idea ........ But won't believe it until it happens.

Tennessee's House Of Representatives Opposes Backcountry Fee At Great Smoky Mountains National Park

Mar 28th - 15:07pm | Rick B.

For pete's sake. Wait four years after someone posts something here, someone who I haven't heard post otherwise, and then you jump in here and call them a fool. Well played. You sound like a little barkie dog that is unable to stop biting at the ankles of people, even people who haven't been near you in four years.

Mar 28th - 08:26am | SmokiesBackpacker

You are a fool, Jprizzo if you think backcountry fees go to fund anything other than a reservation system.  Read the proposal and see how the NPS is misusing taxpayer funds three years into what you called "a good idea".

Day-Use Permits Will Be Needed For White Rim, Elephant Hill Roads In Canyonlands

Mar 28th - 14:13pm | Michele R.

Are there fees for the 2017 season?

Repair Work Will Close Railroad Crossings In Mojave National Preserve In March

Mar 28th - 10:52am | Donna Luciano

How can i get an update on the status of the rail repair.  I am planning on traveling the Kelso Rd to the Cima or Nippon road and continuing to highway 15 then to Las Vegas around April 14th.

UPDATED: Price Of Senior Pass Going To $80; Buy It Now For $10

Mar 28th - 09:07am | Paula

I won't be 62 until the end of the year. Do I have to wait until then?

Welcoming Spring For Three Glorious Days In Great Smoky Mountains National PArk

Mar 28th - 08:18am | JimCasada01

Kurt--I am a native of the Smokies and one of those Kephart described as "branch-water people." I am also someone who has done a great deal of study on and writing about Horace Kephart, I would like to add a few thoughts to your well-written piece on a part of the world I cherish and to the review of Camping and Woodcraft.

Mar 28th - 07:46am | SmokiesBackpacker

Regarding Kephart, however, you won't get much warm fuzzy from true Smokies sons and daughters about him.  He is seen as a carpetbagging degenerate who abandoned his large family to pursue and indulge his alcoholism in the hills aforementioned.

Mar 28th - 07:41am | SmokiesBackpacker

Sounds like you had a great visit down here, Kurt.  Nice article.

Duke University Hosts New Institute To Help Preserve National Park Landscapes

Mar 28th - 05:50am | Jack

Awesome article and best website

"It Is Obvious We Need To Educate The Visitors"

Mar 28th - 00:41am | Rick B.

Yet more entitled scofflaw drone nonsense.   http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/harbor-seal-pupping-drones_us_58d9b1...

Rep. Raúl Grijalva: Public Opinion For Public Lands Can Sway Congress

Mar 27th - 21:38pm | Lee Dalton

Grijalva = American patriot and honest man. A real rarity in congress. Bishop, on the other hand = something I can't describe because I don't use foul language. Can someone clone Raul?

Tracking Wolves By Radio Frequency In National Parks Of Alaska

Mar 27th - 21:21pm | Ray Bane

Excellent film.  Yukon Charley Rivers Nat. Pres. is a wonderful park.  I had the pleasure of spending time in the park traveling by aircraft, boat and dog team and remember it fondly.

Creature Feature: The American Crocodile is Florida’s Comeback Kid

Mar 27th - 20:46pm | kyle

Another small detail (always one, right). He doesn't say Australian crocodile and saltwater crocodile as the same species anywhere in the article. He says the Nile and saltwater crocodiles. Which are not the same species. As you must know with your fancy Latin use.

Finding A Little Acadian Solitude This Spring

Mar 27th - 13:39pm | Acadia on my mind

And for even more details about visiting Acadia in springtime, including links to year-round lodging and restaurants and hours for the visitor center, check out our recent blog post on the Bangor Daily News Web site: http://acadiaonmymind.bangordailynews.com/2017/03/18/home/hope-spri

Lifetime "Senior" and "Access" Park Passes Now Available By Mail

Mar 27th - 10:56am | Bartolome M. Cajas

I had a Golden Age Pass, but.l I lost my wallet containing the pass. How can I get a replacement?. I am now 91 years old and can hardly walk, but I still like to visit the parks that I visited when I was younger.

Mar 26th - 21:10pm | Clyde L, Tucker

Why can't I apply for a new pass to replace the one that is lost ?

Portion Of North Kaibab Trail In Grand Canyon National Park Facing Temporary Closure

Mar 26th - 22:30pm | Rick

I've visited Ribbon Falls many time, we seldom use the bridge to access it. The access trail has a marked turn off about a half mile south of the bridge trail. It's not difficult to cross the stream and work your way up the short canyon to the falls. If you're uncomfortable hopping rocks, wading through knee deep water works just as well.

Unknown Cache Of Letters Mailed To A Ghost Town May Rewrite History Of Big Bend National Park

Mar 26th - 21:16pm | Jason Abrams

They definitely sound real.  Please email me at [email protected]  Thanks, Jason.

Mar 25th - 12:09pm | H. Elizalde

Today I found designs of planes, subs and another things signed by A.W.Dorgan in 1940's. There are very schematic. Some include 2 witness signatures. I don't now is it real.

Archaeological Survey Coming To Little Round Top In Gettysburg National Military Park

Mar 26th - 15:25pm | greg gober

yes but 1863 views shortly after the battle show some shrubs and trees.  As long as the witness trees are protected, which they are doing by attaching ribbons then all is ok

Backpacker Missing In Sequoia National Park

Mar 26th - 08:31am | Kurt Repanshek

We ran a story the following day, Harry. http://www.nationalparkstraveler.com/2016/11/missing-hikers-body-recover...

Mar 25th - 21:31pm | Harry Miller

To anyone that may read this, he was found. Not sure why this page hasn't been updated. No details on cause of death; http://www.abc15.com/news/region-central-southern-az/other/missing-phoen...

Millions Found Their Park In 2016, And Now Park Staff Are Struggling To Manage Them

Mar 24th - 12:28pm | Carolyn McCartney

I wish our President and Congresional people who want to cut funding  to our National Parks System could read this.  As usual, laws are made by people who have never visited these parks as a "visitor", not  as a "special visitor."  President Trump needs to read this

Campgrounds Set To Open At Cape Hatteras National Seashore

Mar 24th - 09:47am | beachdumb

Will the NPS ignore resource protection regulations when a PIPL nests within 100 yards of the Cape Point campground. I would be very leery of reserving a site between April and June.

Traveler's View: Don't Gravel Over Paradise

Mar 24th - 09:34am | tahoma

I don't see how a mandatory mass-transit system could work in Yellowstone.  Would it include lodging guests, RV & car campers, stock users, backpackers, bicyclists, canoeists, or visitors who had planned to transit the park from one side to another as part of a larger itinerary?  If not, then you have a built-in double-standard favoring some visitors over others.

Mar 24th - 07:20am | Pam Sohan

Yes its disppointing to not get to see the things you traveld to a National Park to see, but paving over acres of grass isn't the solution. Who wants to go to a NAtional Park to commune with nature and see amusement park sized parking lots everywhere?

Mar 24th - 05:13am | Joan

Let's expand the park system to spread out the impacts - add new parks and monuments, and expand the size of those that we have. Yellowstone needs to be expanded just to support the winter habitat of the wildlife that lives there! If it were larger, people would spread out somewhat into the new area, and put a bit less pressure on the existing sites.

National Parks Traveler's Essential Park Guide