You are here

All Recent Comments

Meet The Press: National Park Service Director Addresses National Press Club

Aug 3rd - 10:40am | cyclemama

Ha h....a a survey done by Gary Machlis! For over how many years has never been seen at a aconference without being surrounded by bevy of interns........."mentoring."

Aug 3rd - 10:13am | tahoma

D-2 claims the NPS's decade-long decline in BPTW scores are a poverty-driven "morale problem" rather than a clear sign of poor leadership.  Jarvis sees his 'another survey' response to NPS sexual harassment as a model for other agencies "...that are seeing what’s happened to the Park Service and are following our lead.”  Welcome to the parallel universe of bureaucratic spin.

Aug 2nd - 22:29pm | rmackie

Thank you rebecca and d-2 for informed and well written post. I am with you both.

Aug 2nd - 18:17pm | Green Thumb

I don't think Mike Reynolds can be given much credit for his work with HR with the information we have so far.  I'm not sure it is clear the changes are working or will work.  I guess time will tell.  The employee viewpoint survey index score for HR specialists under his watch are pretty low in comparison to other federal agencies.

Aug 2nd - 18:01pm | Rick Smith

Backpacker--As to the latest "Jarvis scam", there was already a maintenance backlog when I retired, long before Jarvis became Director.  I saw it in every park in which I worked.  Give it a rest.

Aug 2nd - 17:18pm | Anonymous

It has been more than chair shuffling. The number 2 person in this agency who has been largely responsible for so many things being swept under the carpet for so long to protect the NPS, is now in one breath gone.

Aug 2nd - 16:42pm | Ethical Retired...

D-2:  On #2:  The "Senior Leadership Team" ratings I was referring to is the one which was in place when the 2015 "Best Places to Work in the Federal Government" survey was taken.  This can be easily accessed on Tahoma's link.  The NPS was ranked 278 out of 318 "Agency components", well into the lowest quadrile (0-25%), and with a lower score from 2014.

Aug 2nd - 16:25pm | SmokiesBackpacker

D-2 You are saying that money will fix the cultural problems in Jarvis NPS?  Jarvis couldn't have said it better himself.  Or maybe he just did?  Maintenance backlog?  The latest Jarvis scam.  Only an NPS person would make such a statement, harrass women then ask taxpayers for more money.  Thank you sir, may we have another!  LOL.

Aug 2nd - 16:02pm | d-2

The knee-jerk, naming calling responses by the usual suspects, and also the comments by Ethical Retired Ranger (ERR), are full of angst but little light.

Aug 2nd - 14:52pm | Rebecca Latson ...

Dear Anonymous.  Last I heard, the NPS was staffed by not only men, but women as well.  Sexual harrassment is unwelcome, highly unproductive, creates an atmosphere of low morale, low productivity, and general fear on the women's part of losing their jobs because some yahoo is threatening their livelihood.  Oh yeah, and it pisses women llike me off.

Aug 2nd - 13:41pm | Anonymous

With everything going on in the NP's were going to focus on sexual harrasment.   GIVE ME A BREAK!!!!

Aug 2nd - 10:40am | Ethical Retired...

If I was a National Park Service employee being sexually harassed, the last thing I would utilize would be Jarvis' hotline.  Will his hotline be monitored by NPS Human Resources, one of the most reviled of such departments in the entire Federal service?  Maybe he can give some credible assurance that hotline complainants will remain anonymous, and not forwarded to the alleged cul

Aug 2nd - 09:18am | tahoma

"The way I view this is when the public comes to national parks, something happens. Yes, it can be somewhat overwhelming for our employees, which is the state of the art right now."

Aug 2nd - 09:07am | SmokiesBackpacker

"...and I've set a standard with my senior leadership." Yes, Jon, you surely have.  A standard of deception, falsification of scientific data, retribution for whistleblowers and ethics lapses that would make Nixon proud. Not to mention your personal arrogance that seems to be giving Trump a run for his money.  You surely have set an unmatchable standard.

Aug 2nd - 08:41am | ecbuck

"We understand our maintenance backlog at sort of an excruitating level of detail. We really, really know this down to the brick," Please share that information with us.

Reader Participation Day: How Crowded Are The National Parks?

Aug 3rd - 09:00am | Lou

Great point, schoodic was wonderful with absolutely no crowds! But if you don't mind getting up early, mdi works too. I did bee hive and sand beach at 6.30 and saw literally 3 people

Aug 3rd - 08:53am | dahkota

We are in Acadia NP now. Luckily, we have a site in Schoodic Woods Campground, away from the chaos on MDI. It is packed there and at every parking lot for hikes or carriage roads or views, the traffic is like bear jams in Yellowstone. Over here on Schoodic, we might see five or six people at any given time, though there may have been twenty at Frazer Point for sunset.

Aug 3rd - 07:28am | Lou

Acadia National Park was extremely crowded in July and had I not been willing to do sight seeing very early in the morning, it would have seriously detracted from my experience. Cadillac Mtn sunrise had hundreds of visitors at 5 AM, each trying to one up each other, and move in front for pictures without other people in view.

Texas Man Sentenced To Jail For Carving Initials Into Roosevelt Arch At Yellowstone National Park

Aug 2nd - 22:38pm | Dick

True, but I suspect the guy is so stupid that a longer sentence still wouldn't have hit home with him. The one way to really make an impression would be a harsh monetary penalty, which he definitely didn't get, as well as a "work-it-off" sentence.

Aug 2nd - 14:59pm | Anita

Without a doubt, this idiot deserves much more jail time and a more hefty fine.

Jul 29th - 22:23pm | Gary B.

Hanging's too good for the likes of him.

Jul 29th - 11:11am | Waco

Actually, he should be hanged.

Jul 29th - 10:13am | Otis

You should have to be forced to travel back to Wyoming and spend the time in jail at his own expense

Jul 29th - 09:27am | Marlene Puaoi

Three days may be all that the law allows. If not, this sentence is woefully insufficient. He should spend more days cleaning up after people like himself.

Jul 29th - 08:48am | Chuck

Come on people! Lets stop acting like Texans!

Jul 28th - 13:46pm | Wayne martin

get used to it . You soon may see the word trump caraved into all our national treasures

The Hour Of Land: A Personal Topography Of America’s National Parks

Aug 2nd - 14:56pm | Lee Dalton

I just finished reading this book.  Excellent.  And I can certainly see why Utah's politcal power brokers who control the U's purse strings wanted her out.

Colorful Mount Rainier

Aug 2nd - 12:32pm | Scott Vogt

Wow!  My brother is a published photographer!

Conversation With A Concessionaire: Running The Pisgah Inn On The Blue Ridge Parkway

Aug 2nd - 11:07am | Pat Smith

We love the Pisgah Inn!  The views are incredible.  The food is very good. My only regret:  They have become so popular, I couldn't get a reservation in mid October (and I inquired in June)!

Mudslide Maroons Some Denali National Park Visitors

Aug 2nd - 01:34am | les

I built that wall it's 150' long they're being conservative

Aug 1st - 15:40pm | Lee Dalton

It's hard to imagine a better place to be stranded.  Sure beats the side of an Interstate highway at rush hour.

Aug 1st - 09:18am | John Woodmansee

I was a member of a Wedding Party at Wonder Lake. The Brides Parents, Ford and Karen Reeves of Denali fed and provided beverages for the stranded tourists. It was Old Fashioned American Hospitality at its best!

Centennial Series | Reading Wendell Berry In The National Parks

Aug 1st - 22:48pm | me276418

You defined Nature's authority as steming from serving as mediator between God and man, while constantly hinting it is man's responsibility to serve Nature by being responsible stewards.  Modern Man characteristically acts like he is superior to Nature, but poets like Berry and Whitman insist on the "authority" of nature.  In your opinion Dr.

Aug 1st - 11:01am | Harryb3570

I will add this book to my library on National Park Service books.

Did Someone Borrow The National Park Service Centennial Logo On The Way To The Democratic National Convention?

Jul 31st - 22:26pm | E.S.

Sure!  For example, these guys: http://www.tokyo-invitation.com/studio2016/index.html And these guys:

Jul 31st - 15:39pm | Alfred Runte

Thanks, EC!

Jul 31st - 14:01pm | ecbuck

Al - with your platform, I'd vote for you.

Jul 30th - 13:17pm | rmackie

Well Alfred, I like it.

Jul 30th - 11:59am | Alfred Runte

Maybe someone will steal my logo. http://alrunte.com

Jul 30th - 11:52am | Mad Man

Yes, and had Donald Trump done the "borrowing," you can bet the Democrats would have let out a howl. But hey. A zero can be replaced with anything, including another zero.

Jul 30th - 11:42am | Colleen H Bjerke

Now that's a controversy! Thanks so much for bringing it to our attention. Seriously guys, find something to do.

Jul 30th - 10:42am | Rick B.

There are similarities; I don't see sameness.

Entrance Fees Generate Hundreds of Millions of Dollars A Year for National Park Service

Jul 31st - 20:42pm | Yosemite Sam

U.S. Picks Concessionaire for Yosemite Park (1992) http://www.nytimes.com/1992/12/18/us/us-picks-concessionaire-for-yosemit...

When Did Dancing In The Thomas Jefferson Memorial Become A Crime?

Jul 31st - 15:36pm | Nichole

Amen to that. Such a shame people have to cause a scene and throw a fit when it does nothing for them.

Jul 31st - 15:31pm | Nichole

When you back talk the police, refuse to comply with heir orders, resist arrest, etc., you are asking for trouble. These people were idiots and were asking for it. No I do not think dancing anywhere should be a crime as long as it is done resoectfuly, but the rules are the rules and people need to respect authority PERIOD!

Lifetime "Senior" and "Access" Park Passes Now Available By Mail

Jul 30th - 13:32pm | Nancy

I would like to buy s senior pass for a couple of my brothers as gifts. Am I able to do that if I have proof of their agea?

National Park Service Leadership Team Explains Zero Tolerance Sexual Harassment Policy

Jul 29th - 20:56pm | Ethical Retired...

At least Also Anonymous's Human Relations Specialist was honest, and not pretending to be the employee's friend and confidant like mine was. Like Also Anonymous, I asked for advice on how to handle my supervisor, who among other things was drinking on duty. Nothing was done about this for years because the Superintendent liked him.

Jul 29th - 15:41pm | Also Anonymous ...

Many years ago, a kind Employee Relations Specialist in the late, lamented Pacific Northwest Region told me - when I went to talk to him about my supervisor, who once said that he had to have women on staff so that the "homo-gene" would not be passed if we were needed to give CPR to male individuals - that he wanted me to be very clear on his role: He could advise me.

Jul 28th - 13:00pm | Ethical Retired...

I agree with both responses to my post.  The NPS Personnel Officer who broke a promise of confidentiality 30 years ago, and went straight to the person who I had serious concerns about taught me a valuable lesson, never trust them.

Jul 28th - 10:34am | tahoma

It is a common misconception that Human Resources has some allegiance to employees.They serve one master: management.That is as it should be. Their task is to put workers in jobs, maximizing efficiency and minimizing cost.

National Parks Traveler's Essential Park Guide