You are here

All Recent Comments

"Lost" Petroglyphs Rediscovered at Virgin Islands National Park

Oct 25th - 22:27pm | Anonymous

Yes, the only reason this glyph is known today is because the park's Museum Curator at the time, Susanna Pershern, found an old photo of it and made it known that this glyph had never been formally recorded by the park.

Black Bears Facing Hard Times At Great Smoky Mountains National Park

Oct 25th - 18:36pm | ecbuck

What has made this year a bad year for producing foods favorable to the bears?

National Park Service Moves To Restrict Certain Sport Hunting Practices In National Preserves In Alaska

Oct 25th - 17:44pm | TnHiker

Here in the Smokies, local officials are concerned that the bears don't have enough to eat due to low mast production this year.  Hunters are chomping at the bit to expand bear hunting priviledges for those counties adjacent to the National Park.  Even though bears are legally protected from hunters and their dogs on National Park Lands, dogs don't read the park boundary signs and in

Oct 25th - 12:48pm | Rick B.

Subsistence hunting puts food on the tables and feeds families. I submit that the prior comment was from someone who has never been hungry.

Oct 25th - 11:00am | Mike Vandeman

Tradition is not a good excuse for environmentally destructive practices like hunting! We are in the 21st century, not prehistoric times. "Subsistence" killing is still killing, and destroys genetic diversity. It's high time that we grew up and respected other species.

Poll: Voters In Colorado, Nevada Oppose Turning Federal Lands Over To States

Oct 24th - 22:44pm | Lee Dalton

One of many controversies in Utah has been the one centering around destruction of ancient sites by "pothunters."  Their activities -- along with those of irresponsible ATV riders -- have led to restrictions on Federal lands that many people feel encroach on their "freedoms."

Oct 23rd - 14:52pm | ecbuck

Oct 23rd - 14:29pm | Rick Smith

ec--It appears that any poll that produces results with which you do not agree is "slanted".  Gee, polls here in AZ say the Republicans will control the Congress next year.  Are you ok with that one?

Oct 23rd - 12:18pm | ecbuck

Your question could also be assumed to be slanted,

Oct 23rd - 12:08pm | Kurt Repanshek

But EC, these are FEDERAL lands, not state lands. So if you "return" -- which, technically isn't the case -- what about U.S. residents elsewhere in the country who enjoyed the use of those lands. What are the benefits to them?

Oct 23rd - 12:05pm | ecbuck

similar surveys Similar surveys with similar slants.

Oct 23rd - 12:04pm | ecbuck

should a pollster try to assume what those are They assumed what the negatives were and put them in the question.  So yes, if they are going to do that they should put in the positives.  In reality they shouldn't put in either.

Oct 23rd - 11:47am | Lee Dalton

It takes only a short Google search to find that similar surveys have been done repeatedly in other western states with similar results.

Oct 23rd - 11:13am | Kurt Repanshek

How slanted are they? In Utah, some legislators think the state can do a better job of managing public lands, but how will they afford to do so? By selling off lands, opening them up for development, raising taxes, asking Congress to pass through the funding that now goes to federal land-management agencies to manage the lands?

Oct 23rd - 10:58am | ecbuck

Missed that link - thanks Kurt. As I suspected, questions 24-26 were very slanted.  They positioned the question as an all or none proposition and added what they perceived as negative implications (costs to the state) without espousing the positives.  This is exactly why I take these kind of surveys with a grain of salt.

Oct 23rd - 10:39am | Kurt Repanshek

EC, click on that highlighted "polling data"....

Oct 23rd - 10:35am | ecbuck

Kurt - Any link to the poll describing its methodology and the actual questions asked?  Were NV and CO the only states polled or were they they the only states that fell on that side of the issue?

Oct 23rd - 10:02am | Lee Dalton

From this morning's Salt Lake Tribune:

Skeletal Remains Believed To Be Those Of Long-Missing Appalachian Trail Hiker

Oct 24th - 22:29pm | Cathy

Shuttle Schedule Moving Into Winter Hours At Zion National Park

Oct 24th - 09:29am | Lee Dalton

GOOD!  Am I correct in thinking that this is the first time this has been done?

Park Advocacy Group Says Commercial Development Harming Canadian National Parks

Oct 23rd - 23:35pm | Megaera

I'm glad I managed not to notice the glacier skywalk when I drove the Icefields Parkway this summer.  Please don't mess up Maligne Lake.  It's one of the most spectacular places I've ever seen.

Oct 22nd - 15:55pm | Kev.

Get Justin Trudeau to review BOTH sides, once he sees the bigger picture, he will know what to do, lol.....

Oct 22nd - 13:51pm | ecbuck

predatory businesses LOL The statue is a little much however.

Oct 22nd - 10:02am | Lee Dalton

I guess it's nice to know that U.S. national parks are not alone in struggles to keep predatory businesses at bay.

The Ghosts Of Yellowstone National Park

Oct 23rd - 18:18pm | Anonymous

I've heard rumors of creepy things happening on either the second or thirs floor of the inn. (I heard this from my mother who grew up in West Yellowstone)

Annual Elk Reduction Hunt At Grand Teton National Park Begins This Weekend

Oct 23rd - 16:49pm | ecbuck

I don't have anything against the hunt if needed, but I'm not sure who are the advocates for the feeding?

Oct 23rd - 15:33pm | Chad

This. Is the reason anti-hunters are trying so desperately to lower the elk population through starvation. They would sacrifice thousands of elk to stop the GTNP hunt.

Oct 23rd - 13:55pm | Kurt Repanshek

Why should anyone look at what they put out as unbiased????Well, one could say that knife cuts two ways...That said, the paper does cite articles from the Journal of Wildlife Management, the Wyoming Outdoor Council, the Bureau of Land Management, the Bridger-Teton National Forest, The Wildlife Professional, as well as the USFWS and NPS.

Oct 23rd - 13:44pm | chad

Kurt you provide a link to a group who is openly doing whatever they can to stop the GTNP elk hunt. Why should anyone look at what they put out as unbiased????

Oct 23rd - 11:50am | Kurt Repanshek

Sounds like a matter of carrying capacity and development. That said, Yellowstone's bears once relied on garbage dumps. Once that practice ended the landscape wasn't littered with bear carcasses.As for possible solutions and impacts of closing the elk feeding grounds, the Wyoming Wildlife Advocates had some interesting ideas:

Oct 23rd - 11:19am | chad

The people who hate the Park Hunt will ALWAYS go directly to starving the elk to death/end feeding to stop the hunt. Because they KNOW that the hunt will end if the feeding does. They would rather see elk starve to death than be hunted where the elk have always been hunted.

Oct 23rd - 09:46am | Kent Nelson

I always chuckle at the apocalyptic "they'll all starve to death" comments. There were large numbers of elk here before feeding began and there'll be large numbers of elk after feeding ends. Ending artificial feeding of elk on the National Elk Refuge and the various WGFD feed grounds will result in a healthier elk herd, a healthier refuge, a healthier park and a healthier ecosystem.

Oct 21st - 22:33pm | Rick B.

Yeah, pretty damn off topic. And intrusive.

Oct 21st - 22:00pm | Chad G

justinh: "last years hunt.......... grotesque display"???????

Oct 21st - 21:30pm | ecbuck

Please expand justinh, why are you a vegan (off topic) and what did you find grotesque about the hunt (on topic)?

Oct 21st - 20:19pm | Bill Baehr

The enabling legislation enabled the Park and cannot be changed. The People of Wyoming agreed to the Park based upon the enabling legislation so to change the enabling legislation is a dishonor.

Oct 21st - 19:56pm | justinh

I'm not a vegan for either of those "reasons" exactly.  In any case, even if I weren't a vegan, I would still have seen last year's "hunt" as a grotesque display.

Oct 21st - 19:45pm | ecbuck

I guess that depends.  Are you a vegan for misguided dietary reasons or because you don't like what happens to the animals?  If the latter, it clearly is relevant to your comment.  And if that is the case, I fully respect (though don't agree with) your opinion.

Oct 21st - 19:10pm | justinh

I am a vegan.  But I don't have the slightest idea how that could be relevant to my comment.

Oct 21st - 18:53pm | Chad G

Tahoma: YOU and others like you are doing all they can to stop this hunt, the feeding program, etc. When the already diminished numbers that migrate to or stick around all year in Jackson/GTNP proper COLLAPSE like the 80 drop off in the North Yellowstone elk herd, after the Invasive sub species wolf dumping.

Oct 21st - 17:42pm | ecbuck

I'm concerned about the safety of the non-hunting public I would think the public is safer in the parks with the NPS oversight than the public in the national forest during hunting season.  And BTW - I am not a hunter either.     (sorry for the repeat)  the first one didn't show for 1/2 hr

Oct 21st - 16:07pm | Anonymous

I'm concerned about the safety of the non-hunting public;   I would guess the safety of the the public in the parks - given the NPS oversight - is greater than that of the public in National Forests during hunting season.  And if you nothing against hunters, why did you feel last years hunt was grotesque?

Oct 21st - 15:23pm | tahoma

I'm not a vegan or a hunter, ec, and have nothing against either group.  Some of my neighbors will be shooting elk nearby soon and I look forward to some fresh liver.I'm concerned about the safety of the non-hunting public; I think the few other NPS units at least exclude the public when ungulate culling is done.

Oct 21st - 12:27pm | ecbuck

Justinh and tahoma.  I'm curious, are you vegans?  Or is shooting that elk somehow more grotesque than the way they kill cattle, pigs and chickens?

Oct 21st - 12:05pm | justinh

Agreed, Tahoma.  Last year's hunt was a grotesque display, as documented by the Traveler report.

"National Parks Adventure" Film Seems Inspiring, But Trailer Seems Misleading

Oct 23rd - 12:55pm | imtnbke

I tend to agree the parks are too small to accommodate all of the demands that would be placed on them if access were made wide-open. That said, it's interesting to drive along Washington Highway 20 and see the empty trailheads for North Cascades National Park. I think there should be something like Mountain Bike Wednesday in such areas.

Creature Feature: The American Marten

Oct 23rd - 01:59am | J. Michael Taylor

I love animals of all types but am particulary fond of Ferrets and Birds of Prey. I used to raise Ferrets in fact. The Marten is from the same family and looks very much like a ferret just much bigger. There are some animals that are like the comedians of the natural world like ferrets and otters, I can watch them and laugh at their antics for hours.

Classic Fall Hikes: Howard Eaton Trail To Lone Star Geyser And Shoshone Lake

Oct 22nd - 16:03pm | Mitch Stevens

Thanks for the great article. Yellowstone is one of my favorite parks!

The National Parks Of Southern West Virginia

Oct 22nd - 13:53pm | ecbuck

But shouldn't we at least be attempting to educate them and enlist their help in preserving these places? Nothing wrong with that, as long as we aren't fabricating the facts along the way.

Oct 22nd - 09:52am | Lee Dalton

True.  But shouldn't we at least be attempting to educate them and enlist their help in preserving these places?  If we can do that successfully, maybe it will someday be easier to limit expansion of parking lots, roads, and other invasive facilities inside the parks.  It seems that we are no longer doing that.

National Parks Traveler's Essential Park Guide