You are here

All Recent Comments

Sequoia National Park Hiker Dies In Apparent Fall From 300-Foot-Tall Waterfall

Jun 18th - 19:43pm | Ron

i camped at panther creek 4 times in the last couple years and after reading this I felt obligated to share my experience in this exact spot. 2nd trip at Panther gap, the 1st morning I wake up early and decide to get some water and start coffe before my gf wakes up.

Art Exhibit Coming To Alcatraz Island Keys On Long Prison Sentences

Jun 18th - 17:54pm | ecbuck

Imagination on fire?  Please explain.  Oh, thats, right, you don't

Jun 18th - 10:28am | Rick Smith

Nothing like a little art to set your imagination on fire, huh ec?

Jun 18th - 09:50am | ecbuck

I suppose the NPS will be spending your park money on lobbying for a higher minimum wage and single payer healthcare next.

Backroads and Byways – Balsam Mountain Road in Great Smoky Mountains National Park

Jun 18th - 17:21pm | Greg Laramore

My wife and I made the trip today down the trail. You can make it through in a car, but I wouldn't advise it. Use the restroom before you go. lol

President Obama's Visit To Yosemite National Park Will Add To Crowds, Congestion

Jun 18th - 15:30pm | Todd White

i think of all the poor travelers, many of which may be visiting Yosemite and Carlsbad Caverns for their first and only time. Often, these visits must be planned months in advance. Many visitors will have theit Father's Day plans ruined, so a sitting president can have a wonderful weekend frolic.

Jun 16th - 21:08pm | ecbuck

Add to the commentary above about why he should or should not go here, we should all just file away that this is where a dad decided he wants to take his kids this summer.  I think he has that right.

Jun 16th - 20:15pm | Rick B.

I'm married to a park employee who has been very grateful over the past 7 1/2 years to have a leader as sane and inspirational. And that's about as far as I want to go in critiquing Presidents or possible Presidents in this forum.

Jun 16th - 19:23pm | ecbuck

Ron, this guy has been in office for 7 1/2 years and hasn't done diddly for the parks.  You think once he is out of office he will care more?  The only influence this guy is going to have in the long term annals of history will be to move Jimmy Carter one notch down on the list of worst Presidents.

Jun 16th - 17:46pm | rmackie

These all good pints Kurt, however, Yosemite is, in one sense, the birthplace  of of our public lands, some argue Hot Springs, some Yellowstone, but the concept had much of its start in Yosemite. It is a world iconic park, I do not know for sure Kurt, but what happens in Yosemite has much influence over the rest of the NPS. This is true of Yellowstone and Grand Canyon also.

Jun 16th - 16:39pm | Kurt Repanshek

Ron, has a president ever visited Theodore Roosevelt, Badlands, Wind Cave, Canyonlands or most of the others?

Jun 16th - 16:04pm | rmackie

Traveler, I think the visit is extremely important, Yosemite has not been visited by a sitting President since JFK. I think it is also important that the President see the park at the peak visitor season. He will see first hand the operational and policy issues that are of concern to both employees and citizens.

Jun 16th - 15:13pm | ecbuck

I don't necessarily disagree, Kurt. I am merely pointing out that there are those that use "inconvienced visitors" as a rational to ban a bike ride that causes an hour delay but, like you don't want to ban a Presidential visit even though its inconvience factor will be far greater.  That just tells me, "inconvience factor" isn't the real reason for their objection.

Jun 16th - 13:52pm | Kurt Repanshek

I didn't say that. But why go to one of the most crowded national parks? Why not truly put Find Your Park into play and go to one that's not already jammed with visitors? Show some true love for other deserving units.

Jun 16th - 13:50pm | ecbuck

So you are up for banning Presidential visits to the parks?

Jun 16th - 12:33pm | Kurt Repanshek

EC, I'll voice concern. Not only for crowding at Zion and Yosemite, but throughout much of the National Park System. I was in Yellowstone on Sunday and folks were ignoring "no parking" signs along the Grand Loop Road and parking where they wanted, folks were swimming in the Firehole River despite no swimming signs, and Jenny Lake in Grand Teton was overloaded with visitors.

Jun 16th - 12:28pm | ecbuck

I agree Rick, but its funny that many of the voices that complain of a one hour delay in Zion don't seem to be concerned with the massive disruptions caused by a presidential visit at Carlsbad or Yosemite. Just shows how sincere their objections are.

Jun 16th - 12:17pm | Rick B.

This is no different from any other President's visits at any other time to public sites. I believe that many of the same voices who would complain about this are the same voices who complain that he does not visit or highlight the parks enough.

Cameron Sholly Named New Associate Director To Guide NPS Visitor and Resource Protection

Jun 17th - 21:23pm | Vincent Stevens

Sholly get a hold of me. [email protected]  Charlie Near.

Death Valley Considers Fee Increases To Fund Fixes At Scotty’s Castle

Jun 17th - 20:36pm | Bill Borrie

Charging $32 for an ranger-led interpretive walk?   Once that becomes the norm, how much will it cost for a map of the park or to go to the bathroom?

Jun 17th - 20:27pm | ecbuck

quit spending on subsidies to oil.    LOL  Another one who has drunk the kool aid.  On a net basis oil companies pay a massively higher level of taxes than the typical corporation.  Or to be more accurate, the oil companies' customers pay a massively higher level of taxes.

Jun 17th - 19:06pm | Billy Bryant

Maybe we should elect a working senate and congress that will return the funding and quit spending on subsidies to oil.

Chinese Visitor Fined $1,000 For Going Off Boardwalk In Yellowstone National Park

Jun 17th - 20:31pm | Harold

I did not think that some of these people need protecting. You are right, someone needs to look out for them, but not at the risk of the rescuscer's saftey as someone else in need may truly need them.

Jun 17th - 08:06am | SteveB

A fine needs to be something the person can afford or it simply won't be paid. $1000? He can probably pay that. $100000? Almost certainly not.

Jun 16th - 11:58am | ecbuck

I tell them and I tell them, but that is just not the way in China." Which is why we shouldn't fine the tour operator.

Jun 16th - 11:18am | Lee Dalton

Last fall, while I was visiting West Thumb, I found myself picking up scads of trash --- mostly Kleenex type stuff --- that was being freely deposited by a horde of Chinese off a tour bus.  I spoke to the tour leader, a Chinese gentleman.  He said, "Yes.  I am so embarrassed.  I tell them and I tell them, but that is just not the way in China."

Jun 16th - 09:37am | ecbuck

Laurie - no problem fining the individuals.  Fining the tour company for an act committed by someone else that they have no (or at least limited) control over goes too far.  It would be like fining a park ranger if someone broke a rule while he was on duty.

Jun 16th - 08:01am | LaurieGab

Hit them where it hurts, and they are likely not to do it again. Flat fine of $1,000 for ANY/ALL visitors who violate National Park policies + $10,000.00 fine against tour company, if visitor is part of a tour.

Jun 15th - 23:51pm | Tony

I agree with the fine, but I don't see this as a solution.  This is a fragile and precious area.  And just like fine works of art in museums are closely monitored at all times, so should Yellowstone features.

Jun 15th - 20:41pm | FredA

$1000 fine is not enough. Damage from clowns like this take 10's to 100's of years to recover. Make the fine $100,000 and 30-days community service. Advertise the stupid and selfish people mug shots on social media. PEOPLE NEED TO STOP BEHAVING LIKE THE RULES DON'T APPLY TO THEM.

Jun 15th - 19:28pm | Jon Barrett

Is this the year of exceptional idiots visiting Yellowstone?

Jun 15th - 19:25pm | Mary Jo Dias

in my five years working at Yellowstone, I witnessed visitors doing may dangerous things. The biggest one is violating the rule of staying back away from the animals. Bears, Bison, Elk, Pronghorn,etc are wild animals. You are visiting their home. I think that if an employee says " Please stay back," guests need to listen because we know. We live there. We have been taught.

Jun 15th - 18:16pm | Valerie Hess

I have spoken to Asian visitors who had food and drink on boardwalks clearly marked that they are prohibited. I think that if these people are on a tour, you also ought to fine the guide and/or tour company. Too many guides turn a blind eye to violations because they want a good tip at the end and don't care about what their tours do at each stop.

Is It "Elitist" To Try to Visit All 58 National Parks?

Jun 17th - 19:01pm | Shirley Hasenyager

My husband and I always loved visiting our National Parks.  One day he counted how many we had been to over the years and it was 35. We then decided to "do" them all, and did.  We definitely did not make windshield visits.  Some hiking at most places.  We have been to Yosemite many times and Death Valley several times.

Oh Boy! The Prospect Hotel! What Room Will I Be Staying In?

Jun 17th - 13:05pm | Thomas Cunningh...

I spent 12 year on the property across the street from the hotel. I was surprised that someone took on the job of renovating the old hotel. Frances Preason was my alltime faverate teacher I spent part of the 1st grade in her home while ther renovated the grade school. My mother (Gladys Cunningham) told my that, Mrs Pearson taugh her as a student teacher in Ashland.

Oregon Man Just Wanted To "Dip His Toe" In A Yellowstone Hot Spring

Jun 17th - 13:00pm | Gregg Gerich

I have been to the Park 9 times. I have seen disturbing behavior many times like rocks being thrown into a thermal pool, people getting to close to bison. People petting a elk. Walking off the boardwalks. If you are not willing to abide by the rules and respect the Park, please do not go. This is not Disneyland.

Japanese Climber Dies Of Unknown Causes On Denali

Jun 16th - 20:17pm | Rick B.

Condolences on the loss of your friend.

Jun 16th - 19:46pm | Yasuhiko HATAKEYAMA

Thanks for the detail of the accident! I am a friend of Mr. Ikeda's. Many Japanese online news have reported the accident. However, the contents was too simple. This site would be very helpful for not only Mr.Ikeda's friends but also his families to know the process of the accident and accept the situation. Thanks, again!

New Research Shows Threats To Coral Reefs The World Over

Jun 16th - 20:09pm | Rick B.

Reef degredation from sediment run-off near the Monsanto plant in Molokai is a dramatic example of human-caused effects.

Jun 16th - 12:35pm | Art Breaux

Would it be too "out of the box" to suggest that the Turkey Point Nuclear Power Plant Canal system be used to remove the offensive nutrients from the massive amounts of bay water and return the clean water to Biscayne Bay and aid in cleaning the reefs?

Take A Closer Look At Proposed Ancient Forest National Park

Jun 16th - 16:59pm | Gary Wilson

I do think this area, and the North Woods in Maine are the best places for new National Parks.  I'd also throw a collection of places in the central Idaho wilderness too.

Jun 16th - 16:04pm | Scotsman

The Klamath Siskiyou contains more conifer species in one acre than any in the world. The geological complexity of the Klamath is nearly unmatched anywhere in North America which allows a complex botanical setting only surpassed by the Great Smokey National Park in the Applachachians.

Jun 16th - 13:11pm | Philip Kinzli

Beautiful video of this very special area !

Jun 16th - 11:21am | Lee Dalton

Anyone who stands to profit from destroying it.

Jun 16th - 10:15am | KJ

How could anyone be against this prize addition to our system?

Plan Your Rocky Mountain National Park Vacation Wisely

Jun 16th - 09:40am | ecbuck

And why are those 2500 bike riders any less worthy of riding Trail Ridge Rd than anyone else?  Heck, I would think those that worship at the feet of the "climate change" god would far prefer the bikes to cars.

Jun 16th - 08:04am | Lee Dalton

And don't get run over by any of the 2500 bicycles that will be clogging Trail Ridge Road for nine hours today in the Tour of the Rockies.

UPDATE: 'Creepytings' Vandal Pleads Guilty To Defacing Western National Parks

Jun 16th - 04:50am | Fred Fox

She's not done yet. She has a Restitution Hearing coming up at a later date. http://www.mercurynews.com/bay-area-news/ci_30014558/woman-sentenced-def... It's in the fifth paragraph.

Lifetime "Senior" and "Access" Park Passes Now Available By Mail

Jun 15th - 22:17pm | Don Penney

consider putting the pictures in Onenote or Evernote so you have it everywhere.

Yellowstone Campaign Urges Visitors To Carry Bear Repellant

Jun 15th - 20:38pm | George Merrill

I have been a back country guide in Yellowstone for a while now. We are so lucky to have Yellowstone as well as other National Parks so close and available to us. Ten minutes from the moment you leave your car you can be in a wild natural place that animals like bears and wolves thrive within. In africa you would be required to be accompanied by an armed gaurd.

National Parks Traveler's Essential Park Guide