You are here

All Recent Comments

Would You Love Zion National Park As Much If It Were Called Mukuntuweap National Park?

Sep 8th - 19:44pm | Eliza

are you sure that this is actually true? where are your sources? I honestly wont believe this unless you tell me your sources, but the only thing i believe is its original name, so what were your sources? Are you making this up?

Yosemite National Park Grows By 400 Acres With Donation Of Meadow

Sep 8th - 19:26pm | justinh

Great news!  Thanks for the article.

Keeping Things Quiet In The National Parks

Sep 8th - 19:13pm | ecbuck

Another "camper" that want to tell others how to enjoy the parks.  Places should be available for both RV and Tent campers, just not in the same spot.  My experience is that most parks are handling it this way, offer RV/tenting spots and tent only spots.

Sep 8th - 12:17pm | Mark Kennedy

If you "must have" electricity to "camp" then go to an RV park or stay in your driveway!

Remembrance Set For 9/11 Victims At Flight 93 National Memorial

Sep 8th - 14:07pm | Kirk Hamlin

flight 93, America's greatest Heroes  Let's Roll

Study: Roughly One-Third Of Yosemite National Park Lost For Resource Extraction

Sep 8th - 13:13pm | Alfred Runte

The principal reductions to Yosemite occurred in 1905, and another in 1906 when Yosemite Valley was "returned" to the federal government. There is nothing new in this "study," other than to forget the original "studies." No one perceives the original parks as "sacrosanct" if they have bothered to read those studies. So this is graduate study today--inventing another acronym--PADDD?

Sep 8th - 12:01pm | [email protected]

Sep 7th - 22:55pm | rmackie

Kevin, and I am certainly not an expert, but the Merced Wild and Scenic River designation, signed into law by President Reagan in 1984, included the river corridor in Yosemite.

Sep 7th - 13:31pm | Rick B.

Incredible.   A voice advocating for resource extraction ["for the health of the forest"\ turning around in 1984 Newspeak to call environmental conservationists'greedy' is pushing irony to the N'th degree.

Sep 7th - 12:35pm | Kevin D. Barry

The park is big enough.  We need to keep doing resource extraxtion for the health of the forest and the surrounding communities.  The park service has created the illusion of ovecrowding by eliminating thousands of parking spaces and hundreds of camp sites.  They hijacked the "Wild and Scenic River" designation to remove amenities in the park.  The Merced WSR designation was

Sep 2nd - 12:43pm | Deanna Lynn Wulff

I am working to protect the area between Yosemite and Sequoia-Kings Canyon and I have been diligently building support for about three years. We have a proposal to unite the parks by creating a national monument out of the federal land between the two.

Is The Time Right For A "Maine Woods National Park"?

Sep 7th - 18:12pm | Cassidy

She chose to gift the land to avoid paying taxes. The government says that each person coming to the area will supply $10 per person who goes, however the last calculated amount of visitors acording to wikipedia is 63,000 from 2008. So that times $10 is $630,000.

Lifetime "Senior" and "Access" Park Passes Now Available By Mail

Sep 6th - 17:46pm | ecbuck

Bill - Spend $10 and get a new one.

Sep 6th - 16:58pm | William H. VIVRETT

For years I have owned a Lifetime Senior  Pass .  I have lost it and do not have its'  number .   How can I get a replacement ? thanks,   BILL   VIVRETT

Op-Ed | Will The National Parks Get Their Trademarks Back?

Sep 6th - 17:32pm | Anonymous

The National Park Service was incredibly negligent, in my opinion, the cost of ignoring its History Division and what were once its fine scholars there. Scholars can write all of the books they want, but still the rank and file need to READ them--starting with the director. Water under the bridge, I suppose, but we should hope the next bridge-builders have more common sense.

Sep 6th - 10:57am | Heather Brooke

Thank you for taking the time to write this article.

Sep 4th - 17:56pm | rmackie

Thank you also Ms. Huston.

Sep 4th - 11:08am | Alfred Runte

"But what makes this case so challenging is the existence of the contract and the fact that the National Park Service apparently allowed prior concessioners to register the same and similar trademarks in their own names. A party can contract away its trademark rights, and that may be what the National Park Service did here."

Michael Frome, A National Advocate For Environmental Stewardship, Dead At 96

Sep 6th - 16:16pm | Tim McNulty

Michael was the dean of American conservation writers, an uncompromising environmental journalist, and a teacher who inspired a generation of environmental writers. His defense of wilderness was intimately bound to an ethic of non-violence and a respect and reverence for all life.

Sep 5th - 18:32pm | [email protected]

Dedicated to Michael's Memory and his Green Journalism Contributions: 1962 Book  Whose Woods These Are, Story of Our National Forests Listen to Michael: ... forces of nature video ...

Sep 5th - 15:13pm | [email protected]

Michael,  In Memoriam: You really made an indelible impression on young minds through your writing over the decades.

Conversation With A National Park Lodge Manager

Sep 6th - 05:31am | Nk

Great article!

Trails I've Hiked: Grinnell Lake By Boat And Boot In Glacier National Park

Sep 5th - 23:51pm | Bronwyn Kairuz

Can you do this hike in winter? In Deceeber?

Some Eye Candy, Grand Teton National Park Style, For Labor Day

Sep 5th - 20:55pm | Rick B.

Ya can't just shut it down for a couple of minutes to enjoy a pretty picture. You ust be loads of fun at home.

Sep 5th - 20:17pm | [email protected]

Outstanding and Inspirational ... but there remain political personalities within and beyond the

Sep 5th - 15:51pm | Catherine

Absolutely awesome.  A tribute that needs no words to speak volumes.

Notes From The Parks

Sep 5th - 19:43pm | Rick B.

I agree. In my life I've gone from packing in for months at a time to now, where I have such chronic pain and arthritis that I have a difficult time on a slowly deflating air mattreess or camp cot. I think in this I am fairly representative of many, although not all, of my generation.

Sep 5th - 14:57pm | Lynda Damrill

I frequently follow the Scott's articles and find them extremely informative. I particularly enjoy their details that unlock the human side of the parks. This article resulted in an excellent discussion that I have rarely seen for a travel article.All responders brought up valid points. I just hope the powers that be of our national parks read both the article and the responses!

Exploring Crabtree Falls In The Blue Ridge Parkway

Sep 5th - 16:11pm | Rita powell

Visit Cranberry Falls,and the hike is a great also.

Rocky Mountain National Park's Trail Ridge Road, Not A Good Place For Vertigo

Sep 5th - 14:10pm | C J

We were there last weekend-Beautiful views but using the "fear factor" excuse for not having guardrails in the upper Alpine areas with 1000's of feet of shear drop or any means to stop a car from rolling endlessly seems wrong... Especially when you have the jerks in their sportscars tailgating all the way along the road...Or the 30'+ RV's.

Body Of Missing Grand Teton National Park Hiker Found On Mount Owen

Sep 5th - 13:35pm | Deena Moore

praying now for his family and friends

Paving Project In Paradise Parking Lot At Mount Rainier National Park

Sep 4th - 09:07am | Fred Swanson

Thanks for setting the record straight. The Mt. Rainier version of Joni Mitchell's song makes a good story, though! I wonder how many other national park myths there are?

Sep 3rd - 17:10pm | tahoma

This has been a common tale for many decades at Mount Rainier and so many of the lyrics fit that I can see why the story has had so much appeal, even though her bio fails to mention Rainier."Mitchell said this about writing the song to journalist Alan McDougall in the early 1970s:

Sep 3rd - 15:18pm | Fred Swanson

I've heard that Joni Mitchell's famous lyrics from her song "Big Yellow Taxi" -- the refrain about paving paradise and putting up a parking lot -- actually comes from when she worked at Mt. Rainier's Paradise Lodge.  Any truth to that?

Renewed Effort To Build Tramway At Grand Canyon Draws Concern

Sep 3rd - 12:37pm | Cynthia Welt

A travesty which must not be allowed to ruin this beautiful, magical place...

Sep 3rd - 10:21am | rmackie

Agree Gary.

Sep 3rd - 08:39am | Brigida Barros

NO and NO. Do you want to destroy the natural beauty of a place like that? Go dig your greedy hands somewhere else.

Sep 3rd - 00:59am | Gary Wilson

I do wonder what the anasazi that lived at the bottom of the canyon would have thought about this .. But, I agree... keep it unmarred.  The entire grand canyon should be left as wilderness.

Sep 2nd - 19:16pm | ecbuck

horrific genocide perpetrated upon the native inhabitants of this continent by my admitedly white ancestors Not to mention the horrific genocide perpetrated by those that became native inhabitants upon what were the native inhabitants.

Sep 2nd - 18:11pm | Rick B.

Frankly, Shuntavi, I don't think that my personal opinion that the canyon should be unsullied by such a commercial enterprice equates with the horrific genocide perpetrated upon the native inhabitants of this continent by my admitedly white ancestors, as you inferred. But you, too, are entitled to your opinion.

Sep 2nd - 18:01pm | Shuntavi

Most of the commenters believe the land is theirs to control.  It is not.  It belongs to the creator, who has made the Navajo the stewards of the land, to be the care takers.  If they wish, they can build a tram, it is their land to govern, to control.

Sep 2nd - 13:52pm | LaLuna Moon

Why can't man just leave God's pristine and glorious creations stand alone without capitalism tarnishing the natural state of those creations? To do this would be akin to "tagging"  canyon with spray paint. Leave the Grand Canyon alone!!!

Concessions Worker At Yellowstone National Park Falls To Death At Grand Canyon Of The Yellowstone

Sep 2nd - 23:18pm | Annoyed by this

Please tell us, at what time do positive things magically start happening again?

Centennial Series | Forward Into The Next Century

Sep 2nd - 16:02pm | Gary Wilson

No doubt, there are a lot of threats to our forests - many of them from human caused disturbances.  There is no questions that the parks face mulitple threats when it comes to invasive species, climate change, or even species loss.  Our National parks truly saved the alligator, the grizzly bear, and the Peregrine Falcon from extinction in the lower 48, and there are many other species

Sep 2nd - 14:09pm | Alfred Runte

Okay, Gary, as you say. It will take another century to get everything going, and I am just screaming from the bleachers when I advise that's too long. So you know "plenty of millennials that read." How many is "plenty," I am still left to wonder? The millennials I hear every day are miserable speakers, like, ah, you know what I mean?

Sep 2nd - 12:12pm | Gary Wilson

Sep 2nd - 11:46am | beachdumb

"Social media will never solve these issues unless millennials also READ. And most don't--except for texting with their friends. They don't read in high school; they don't read in college, and that is not anecdote. It is "real world" research. We can have all of the data we want, but without reading it is worthless."

National Park Basics For RVing Newbies

Sep 2nd - 14:21pm | Bonnie H

Another thing you might want to check into is age restrictions on the RV.

Scientists Fear Not Enough Being Done In United States To Prevent Widespread Extinctions

Sep 2nd - 14:08pm | argalite

Duh, ya think?  You don't have to be a scientist to know this.

Congressman Requests Interior Department Briefing On National Park Service Mismanagement

Sep 2nd - 13:24pm | Rick B.

Like your use of "people would be...".   Time to move on here.

National Parks Traveler's Essential Park Guide