You are here

All Recent Comments

Swimmer Attacked By Shark At Cape Hatteras National Seashore, Second In Two Days

Jun 28th - 14:04pm | beachdumb

I don't if it was same shark, but highly doubt it. Lots of food in the surf zone, lots of nesting turtles (all along SE coast), lots of Spanish Mackerel, and the water has been since mid April. Before the NPS closed the beaches for birds, we hooked a lot sharks while red drum fishing. I didn't land any, because they were just too big for drum fishing gear.

Jun 28th - 11:35am | Kathy

same shark?

Jun 28th - 11:26am | Dan Vitale

I don't swim, I fish.

Former Katmai National Park Superintendent Fears Park Service Values Visitation More Than Bears

Jun 28th - 13:42pm | rmackie

Lee, tahoma, I know I am sounding like a broken record promoting a book, but on the subject of both your comments, "YOUR YOSEMITE" by Robert O. Binnewies is right on target. It is a great read, well researched history, coupled with the risks and rewards of the job (right on target with Ray Bane), and without rancor.

Jun 28th - 12:37pm | Lee Dalton

Good points, Tahoma, but I still have to question how much might be preconceived MANAGEMENT opinions and how many are actually preconceived POLITICAL opinions being forced onto NPS managers by politicians whose most generous supporters stand to profit.

Jun 28th - 12:22pm | tahoma

Many thanks to Ray Bane for publicizing this issue!  I hope it's not too late to put the brakes on this development that mostly benefits a well-off minority.

Jun 27th - 22:19pm | rmackie

Mr. Bane, I think the coalition of Retired NPS employees might be helpful. There are many former top notch officials in that group that might be able to get the attention of decision makers in Washington. I also have a very high opinion of the Sierra Club, they have an active staff and very informed people on Alaska issues. You can get touch with the National Headquarters in San Francisco.

Jun 27th - 20:54pm | Ray Bane

It is gratifying to see the interest expressed by readers of National Parks Traveler. The Brooks River issue has ramifications that potentially radiate throughout the National Park Service and National Park System. Brooks River is unquestionably one of (if not the) primer concentration of wild bears in the entire National Park System.

Jun 27th - 20:23pm | rmackie

Clint, thank you for a very informative post. I think you are right on. Having some knowledge of Mr. Bane's professional standing, I am in support of his efforts. Let us hope posts like yours are responded to and action is taken. Thanks again.

Jun 27th - 17:22pm | Lee Dalton

Doesn't it all come down to that old buggaboo $$$$$$$$$?

Jun 27th - 17:12pm | Rebecca Latson ...

This is more of an observation than anything else.  Having traveled to Katmai National Park in 2013, I can attest to the growing number of visitors to the park.  This includes not only those who have made reservations with the lodging concession but also the myriad numbers arriving via flight tours for a day of bear watching.

Jun 27th - 15:36pm | Cynthia

Sounds like what they did at Fish Creek in Hyder, AK. The boardwalk they built for viewing is above ground, instead of on it. I think it made things better for people and bears alike.

Jun 27th - 15:25pm | Clint Hlebechuk

Mr. Bane makes sense in regard to the impact on Brooks Falls habitat. The Pacific Coast of Katmai is another story.

Jun 26th - 22:32pm | Lee Dalton

May I second the comments of both Ron and Anon? Well stated.

Jun 26th - 20:56pm | Ray Bane

Thank you for publishing excerpts from my letter to Sec. Jewell re: Brooks River. Just a few minor corrections: The Final Brooks River DCP was completed after I had transferred from Katmai.

Jun 26th - 12:09pm | SmokiesBackpacker

The NPS values visitation because that gives them numbers. And numbers equates to dollars. And dollars are all Jarvis and his cabal care about.

Jun 26th - 10:20am | laborman1

As Congress cuts funds for preservation and talk radio hammers environmentalists, climate change and science itself, I have realized that some imperfect actions must be taken and tolerated to encourage another generation to appreciate remaining wild places and its inhabitants.

Jun 26th - 10:00am | rmackie

Thank you Traveler for this informative post, having little knowledge of the issue, but knowing that former Supt. Ray Bane is an accomplished professional, I suspect he is right. Thank you Ray Bane for speaking out on the issue.

Camping In The National Parks: North Rim Campground At Grand Canyon National Park

Jun 28th - 12:52pm | Acadia on my mind

Point Sublime, down a long dirt road, offers a primitive campsite on the North Rim that is, truly, sublime. Camped there twice and both times were there alone. Saw a thunderstorm in the distance. Sublime indeed.

Jun 28th - 12:11pm | Anonymous

All I hear are kids yelling...no thanks

Classic National Park Hikes: The Teton Crest Trail

Jun 27th - 23:02pm | wild places

Thanks Kurt, I wasn't aware of this one before. Sounds like a good one to check out.

National Park Gift Shops Halting Sale Of Confederate Flags

Jun 27th - 17:19pm | Lee Dalton

Fascinating. Thank you Rick.

Jun 27th - 16:32pm | Rick B.

Lee ---

Jun 27th - 14:07pm | Lee Dalton

Dumb, you are putting words in that were not written. Nowhere was there any mention of political parties. Who did it is not important. Only fact that it happened counts. Now go back and re-read my first post.

Jun 27th - 13:11pm | beachdumb

Lee, you are still having that comprehension problem. I believe I saw the same story and they were talking specifically about South Carolina. In 1962 a Democrat governor, the party of the KKK and Jim Crow laws, put the flag over the Capital building, then a Republican governor in 1998 moved it to the State's grounds, and finally another Republican governor removed it entirely.

Jun 27th - 12:22pm | Rick B.

Half answers. Belief in 'states rights'. Which states rights were they in favor of? The right to own slaves When did the stars and bars flag get raised in South Carolina? Curiously times to be middle finger raised in response to the civil rights movement of the 1960's.

Jun 27th - 12:10pm | Lee Dalton

Sorry, my confederate flag information came from a Fox News broadcast. Now, that's what I REALLY shouldn't believe. But I was being held prisoner in a waiting room while my truck was in for service. I'll repent and will try even harder to disregard anything I see on Fox. I do know better.

Jun 27th - 08:29am | ecbuck

Oh, and Mississippi has had the Stars and Bars on the flag since 1894. You should do a little research before you believe and recite everything you read on the internet.

Jun 27th - 07:46am | ecbuck

"Are you aware that the Confederate flag was not flown in Carolina or on other state flags until the 1960's."

Jun 27th - 07:38am | ecbuck

'What position which party has taken over the years has shifted frequently.' Really? When did the Republican party endorse a racist platform?

Jun 27th - 01:32am | Rick B.

What position which party has taken over the years has shifted frequently. A little bit of self-aware introspection - stop well short of "guilt complex" by all means - on racial issues would be enlightening for the right wing. I suggest it.

Jun 26th - 23:34pm | wild places

"Not at all a surprise to see the far right wing falling all over itself to justify emblems of both racism" A rather ironic statement given it was the republicans who fought to end slavery in the first place. Perhaps that's why they don't suffer from an irrational guilt complex.

Jun 26th - 22:39pm | Lee Dalton

For those standing in defense of the flag, is it political correctness and liberal left wingers? Or might it actually be something you haven't considered. Step into the shoes of another for a moment. Imagine yourself to be of the Jewish faith and having to look at a Schwaztika flying over your state's capitol.

Jun 26th - 22:15pm | justinh

My previous comment was a reply to beachdumb's comment, "Thanks to the new activist SCOTUS, we can now replace all those confederate flags with rainbow flags." I don't seem to have figured out the editing in this new format.

Jun 26th - 22:10pm | justinh

Agreed, beachdumb. A good day.

Jun 26th - 21:55pm | justinh

I may have missed an editing function in the Traveler's new format, but my previous comment seems to converge with Jim's observation. Thanks for that, Jim.

Jun 26th - 21:51pm | justinh

"Any stand-alone depictions of Confederate flags have no place in park stores." This seems to imply an interpretation of the flag, in this context, as its valorization, in which case I would agree with the statement from Jarvis. Good for NPS.

Jun 26th - 17:37pm | Harryb3570

It is hard to see how this policy will be implemented at Manassas NBP. Almost evey sale item comes with the Confederate flag.

Jun 26th - 15:51pm | Jim Burnett

According to the NPS Facebook page, "The flag will continue to be used or displayed in national parks when it is in a historical context, such as in a museum exhibit, to signify troop locations, or in a reenactment or living history program."

Jun 26th - 14:19pm | beachdumb

According to Rick, the NPS supported racism until yesterday.

Jun 26th - 13:36pm | ecbuck

Was it racism when Hilary put the Stars and Bars on her campaign buttons? Was it racist for Obama to put it on his? Was it racist for the NPS to sell the flag in the past. Is the SC legislature racists for flying the flag? Was anyone watching Dukes of Hazard a racist because the Stars and Bars were on the car General Lee?

Jun 26th - 13:05pm | Rick B.

Not at all a surprise to see the far right wing falling all over itself to justify emblems of both racism and at the same time fitting in a bit of homophobia.

Jun 26th - 11:05am | beachdumb

Jun 26th - 10:59am | Person

Confederate flags have long been associated with the NPS interpretive programming at Civil War sites and the living history programming as well as the commercialism that frequently surrounds most Civil War communities. This liberal media/activist agenda to steer social issues is detrimental.

Jun 26th - 10:38am | ecbuck

Amen. It is amazing that the actions of some wacko can totally redefine a banner that has been deemed acceptable for so long.

Jun 26th - 09:08am | Anonymous

I have little interest in the confederate flag other than it's place in history but find this decision along with that of walmart, amazon etc. an overreaction and just one more example of political correctness hysteria that has become so common today.

Is Global Climate Change A Threat to National Parks? Another Response

Jun 26th - 20:45pm | ecbuck

And alas, with all this global warming, I can't do my reserved hike in RMNP because one section, normally open by now, is still impassable. NPS is $26 richer and I get to enjoy the Lost Creek Wilderness instead.

Jun 26th - 11:50am | ecbuck

"why would any company promoting centralized energy not want to "deter" Congress and the state houses from subsidizing its competition?"

Jun 26th - 11:33am | Alfred Runte

Okay. Let's split hairs. No one is "preventing" me from going off the grid. If I were to order rooftop solar, Seattle City Light would not "impede" my decision, or otherwise erect a "barrier" against my choice.

Great Smoky Mountains National Park Biologists Kill Wrong Bear In Effort To Catch One That Attacked Backpacker

Jun 26th - 13:47pm | SmokiesBackpacker

The genius's at Sugarlands decided to kill another bear about a month ago high atop Mt. Leconte because it was apparently bothering the paying guests at Leconte Lodge. No DNA test was done on that bear and they pronounced, in infinite NPS wisdom, that the cause was the backpackers who stayed at the shelter some quarter mile away.

National Parks Traveler's Essential Park Guide