• Sand Replenishment Work Coming To Golden Gate National Recreation Area   2 weeks 4 days ago

Hippocrates might be upset with you for taking his name in vain.

But Golden Gate is a NATIONAL RECREATION AREA. There is a difference between one of those and a National Park or Monument or Seashore. Management is entirely different.

• There Likely Is A National Park Fee Increase In Your Future...   2 weeks 4 days ago

Lots of pros, lots of cons. Like just about everything else in the world be it NPS or a podunk fire department somewhere.

Lee, I have absolutely no problem with a subscription based fire department. Owners choice to participate or not. Direct payment from homeowner to FD so no skimming off the top by bureaucrats. Direct link between who pays and who gets the benefit.

So much for “let natural processes proceed” as the NPS constantly tell us. Hippocrates.

Whaoh! I just agreed with beach . . . . .

What's happening today?

ec, there are still a few parts of the country where fire protection services are provided only by subscription. Don't subscribe, better not have a fire. That all goes back to a time in history when fire departments were not tax supported and sometimes tradition is hard to kill. (Or politicians are reluctant to create a tax.) It's a surprisingly common practice in some states.

Yes, if we also eliminate the EPA we can breathe free black soot and be free! I also love having a picnic down by the river and watching the chemicals burn off of it.. I heard that the DOI is trying to restore that river? Why? Our country should have let the Cuyahoga continue to devolve from precious H20 to chemicals that kill lots of stuff and catch fire. That's freedom in action right there. Ohhh I love thinking of the days Americans can be free like Somalians too!

If we eliminate the DOI then we could probably pay users to come to the parks. That agency is a giant waste of money and full of needless beauracracy.

Wow.

When I first saw the original headline and article I knew it would be an incendiary mud wallow and sat back to observe. Unfortunately, and no doubt to Kurt's regret, I was right.

Actually, Smokies, I do a lot of research, and can't always make time to get to the Library of Congress or another major research institution. So I pay $3 for every book I get through interlibrary loan. It's well worth it. Just like paying for an annual pass is well worth it to be able to drive over to Shenandoah for a day hike or to tramp the trails at Manassas. So, taxes pay for basic services, and users pay for additional services. As for wasteful spending, I could easily find a trillion dollars to cut. You probably could too. Problem is, it probably wouldn't be the same trillion. One man's waste is another man's essential government program.

And regarding pay for service, do we have to pay the police every time they arrest someone? How about the fire dept when they put out our house fire?

Asked and answered. All benefit by having those services in place for when they are needed. They are the equivalent of an insurance policy. Oh, and in fact, in many cases these agencies are reimbursed.

Kurt, I'm sure this is an oversight but the website above is not the Southern Forest Watch. It is not affiliated with the Southern Forest Watch and neither are my opinions. That site is an independent backpacking website owned by a private individual. My opinions are my own and the expressions on southernhighlanders are not those of the SFW. And Gary has been given multiple opportunities to voice his opinions there.

I understand Kurt.. I just think it's important to note that because I have stated opinions on this site, these guys use what I say here as an attempt to drum up attacks and intimidate me and my family. They are not rational people. They have also done and threatened quite a few others in the Smokies, so if you can understand why I do not like these guys, this is why. I do not behave like them. But i'm not afraid to call them out on their comments and misinformation.

And for the record, I do spend more than 13 weeks in the Smokies, and document a lot of different subjects. The phenology that i've captured and documented will be utilized for a long time, well after i've moved on.

Here you go Kurt, please take a moment, and read this link. It showcase the form of harassment, and bullying that John Quillen posts about me constantly. The online bullying and harassment from this guy is noted. He uses his blogs to harass and try to intimidate anyone that disagrees with him, just because of the things I say here on this site, which are from ME, and not from the GSMA, or from the NPS. I speak for myself here, and he's twisted it into something else.

Notice, how I can't respond to his page, so i'll just respond to it here. Considering this guy is a taxpayer funded drug counselor at a local school district, one would expect that he exhibits at least some sort of role model type qualities, that isn't based on harrassment, online bullying, and attempting to coerce and try to intimidate people but then again, Tennessee's educational system is ranked at the bottom of the country, so I can't expect much.

Gary, we certainly don't endorse or promote the approach taken on SFW, but we also don't intend to see/let the Traveler turn into a sounding board for personal grudges/disputes that have nothing to do with the site's content.

Here is one of my permits, Gary.

And here is a chart that shows the steady increase in NPS budgets from 2008 to 2012 with a slight dip in 13 that doesn't take in stimulus spending which skews the chart.

And by the way, there must be a whole lot of free time over at the GSMA today. Bet folks would appreciate knowing their contributions are being put to such good use.

Post your permits... Come on. What is fair is fair. Quit being a flip-flopping-flop-flipper, and post your permits. I whipped out mine. And seriously, I don't have a reputation for going up to people and trying to get into fights with them. Can't say the same about you, since I know of two such accounts.

Smokies

Services like police and fire or military are "insurance" services. Everyone pays in so those services are there in case they are needed - everyone is being protected. Roads are paid for through gasoline taxes and registration fees so it is indeed the users that are the primary funders. You want to charge a dollar a book at a library, I don't have a problem with that. You hold the book longer than two weeks you should and do pay a fee.

It shouldn't be exempt from responsible mgmt. I never claimed it should. Finally, I would like to know what agencies you have in mind that dont charge user fees.

If we could end the personal bickering, it would be appreciated by a great many.

Gary, I am flattered that you also follow my weekly backcountry adventures. An unfortunate side effect was that I had to quit broadcasting my weekly movements in advance so folks like you would quit showing up at my camp unannounced.

The NPS has seen budget reductions. Boy, you just continue to prove that anyone can post anything on the internet as fact, when it's not true.

Noted ec and Lee. Thanks. Gobbs of wishfull thinking.

Sure, no problem, John Quillen. Here you go. It's not the most recent, but it's a weekend outing with the family we took over labor day.

Since we are whipping out permits, go ahead and post all the recent permits from your recent exploits in the Smokies. You tend to showcase a lot of people (more than what is legally allowable) hanging out at your backcountry bon fires, so let's make sure you are also doing things legally!

The flawed logic here is thus: Should you pay the library every time you check out a library book? Should the police get paid additionally every time they arrest someone? Should we pay the highway dept a supplement every time they repave a road? The NPS budgets have steadily increased while other entities have seen budget reductions and they send folks out here to argue for supplementing their taxpayer funded bureau with user fees? It is a ridiculous point. Why is the NPS exempted from responsible mgmt of budgets when other federal agencies are not and they are about the only one that charges user fees in addition? It is as ridiculous as the NPS claims that the Smokies receives 9 million visits per year. Everyone knows that 9 million cars that pass the clicker twice (once from the casino in Cherokee and the next time from the ko cart track in Gatlinburg) gets counted as a visitor despite the fact that most never even leave their car. But it is data they use to cry for more funds. Very convenient NPS math.

Oh my goodness!

I have to agree 100% with ec's post.

It must be Friday or something.

But Katie, park entrance fees have no relation whatsoever with lodging fees. Although I agree completely that fees for spending a night in most park accomodations are outlandish, those are not a fee charged by the park.

And Steve, let's not try to place all the blame on Jon Jarvis. NPS directors as far back as Steve Mather have had the same problem. That's a complaint you need to take up with your Congressperson.