You are here

All Recent Comments

Op-Ed | The Importance Of Railroads In The Evolution Of National Parks

Oct 16th - 09:26am | Lee Dalton

Being loud may not make it any more convincing, but if the same propaganda is repeated often enough and in enough TV commercials or other media, it will have an effect.  Especially on that segment of the public who already lean toward a certain belief or who lack the intelligence or education or whatever it takes to discriminate.  Those who may try to oppose them are stifled if they c

Oct 16th - 09:01am | ecbuck

Don't generally read the NY Times but will see if I can track it down.

Oct 16th - 09:00am | ecbuck

Don't generally read the times but will see if I can track it down.

Oct 15th - 22:59pm | rmackie

EC, not related to the current discussion, but an opinion piece in the New York Times, 0ct 13th, might interest you, agree or not, written by Davis Brooks. Mr. Brooks lays out his definition of a conservative, he being a noted conservative commentator, I found it was quite interesting.

Oct 15th - 21:29pm | ecbuck

Being loud makes you no more convincing.

Oct 15th - 20:35pm | Lee Dalton

Perhaps the best analogy I've read about Citizens United went something like this: "Citizens United did not take away any of my rights to speak as a citizen.  But it gave those with money a huge megaphone to use when they speak."

Oct 15th - 18:06pm | ecbuck

They certainly don't influence my vote and I am guessing not yours.  I can rest assurred that I have influenced/educated more in my sphere than either Goldman Sachs or GE.  The answer is not to forego Constitutional rights but rather to excercise your responsibilities as a citizen and learn the issues yourself and help educate others.

Oct 15th - 16:13pm | Rick Smith

Come on, ec.

Oct 15th - 10:19am | ecbuck

No I do not agree.  Elections are won by votes, not dollars.  Noone was disenfranchised. G.E and Goldman Sachs don't have a single vote.  Further, I don't see where Citizens United provided any detriment to the poor or benefit to the rich - other than perhaps the rich encumbants.

Oct 15th - 10:05am | Kurt Repanshek

EC, you do not agree that Citizens United effectively disfranchised a wide swath of the U.S. population by giving corporations the right to pour their dollars into political campaigns? How can you or I compete for political sway against a G.E. or a Goldman Sachs?

Oct 15th - 09:40am | ecbuck

More empty accusations.  Can you back up nothing with facts?  Is that why you always want to shut down the conversation?

Oct 15th - 09:28am | Rick B.

"As to Citizens United, that was not an act of deregulation but one of upholding the Constitution.  And once again I don't see any direct link between it and any hurt to the poor or help to the rich. " At this point it doesn't really matter if the comment is dishonest or blind; further discussion is futile.

Oct 15th - 09:03am | ecbuck

Ron - the Sherman Trust Act was sheved?  The only major change I am aware of to that act was the Clayton Act which exempted unions from Sherman provisions.  As to Glass Steagal, specifically what provision was dropped that hurt the poor and helped the rich?  As to Citizens United, that was not an act of deregulation but one of upholding the Constitution.

Oct 15th - 08:52am | ecbuck

Anon - other than the comments at the end of the subject article, I know nothing of PERC or its mission.

Oct 14th - 23:06pm | rmackie

I agree argalite, deregulation beginning with shelving the Sherman Anti-trust Act (President Reagan), eliminating Glass/Steigel (under President Clinton), well,  just two glaring  examples. But perhaps the most corruptive of recent deregulation scams, this done by the Robert's Supreme Court, is the Citizens United v.

Oct 14th - 23:00pm | Lee Dalton

It's very ineresting that in most cases our most heavily developed parks are also among our oldest -- and those that had railroads involved in that development. Thank goodness some like Olympic, North Cascade, Great Basin and a few others escaped being ravaged by railroads.

Oct 14th - 22:35pm | Lee Dalton

Oh, Lordy!  Gotta run get my barn boots.  The bull pucky just got awfully deep in here.

Oct 14th - 21:03pm | Anonymous

ec--If you can explain PERC's mission of "free market environmentalism", I would appreciate it.  I have asked them and get responses that make little sense to me.  "Running a park like a business" has long been a mantra of neo-liberalism.  I am surprised that Dr. Runte, long a revered environmental historian, brings it up.

Oct 14th - 19:01pm | ecbuck

Yes Argalite, just join the troops that like to make unsubstantiated claims and then run when they have no way to defend them.  And as usual, Rick totally mischaracterizes my stance to create his strawman.  Did Wall Street have anything to do with the last recession.  Sure, because they were doing exactly what the government wanted and even demanded.

Oct 14th - 18:57pm | Rick B.

Don't do it, Argalite. Just walk away and don't stick your finger into the finger trap. You're talking with a former Wall Street staffer who denies that deregulation of Wall Street had anything to do with Wall Street collapsing our economy. Just walk away.

Oct 14th - 18:19pm | ecbuck

Please identify a specific regulation that was eliminated and how that hurt the poor and helped the rich.

Oct 14th - 15:58pm | argalite

Deregulation has not made this country the "best".  Deregulation hurts the poor and benefits the rich most often in American society.

Oct 14th - 14:59pm | ecbuck

I had trouble understanding the purpose or point of this piece until the very end.  God forbid we endorse "free market-based principles, individual property rights, and deregulation".  After all, those are the very factors that made our nation the best there has ever been.

"National Parks Adventure" Film Seems Inspiring, But Trailer Seems Misleading

Oct 16th - 09:15am | Sonja Nelson

There will be a Ranger lurking behind a rock to give you a ticket!

Oct 16th - 09:05am | Lee Dalton

Who was the producer?

Count On Crowds At Zion National Park This Weekend

Oct 15th - 20:25pm | Megaera

So.  When is the most *peaceful* time to go to Zion?

Oct 14th - 16:39pm | Lee Dalton

Actually, Owen, I'm pretty darn sure that virtually every business and resident of Springdale would fully support freeing up the town by adding satellite parking lots.  They are absolutely upset about the current situation.  I doubt, too, that they'd lose any business if shuttle buses run from south of Rockville, through Springale, and into the park.  Frequrent shuttle stops in t

Oct 14th - 15:34pm | Owen Hoffman

Lee, I'm glad I've had the chance to work in and experience Zion in 1969.  I think there are many possible solutions, but few that won't be resisted tooth and nail by Gateway communities and the regional forces of industrial tourism.

Oct 14th - 09:44am | Lee Dalton

"The park is anticipating conditions similar to the 2015 Labor Day weekend, when parking lots inside the park were full by 9:30 am. Once parking fills, visitors may experience traffic congestion in Springdale, and up to 45-minute waits for entrance to the park and shuttle bus boarding inside the park."

A Masonic Marker On the Blue Ridge Parkway

Oct 15th - 13:57pm | Michelle Wyatt

How amazing. you don't want to miss it

Inspector General: National Park Service Mismanaged Brinkerhoff Lodge At Grand Teton National Park

Oct 15th - 11:37am | tahoma

Once again, Park Service management's double-standard is on display.  Every ol' boys' club needs a clubhouse, I guess.  The NP$ couldn't be bothered charging bigshots, but has no problem raising fees on the public who pay for this federal dude ranch.

Oct 15th - 11:01am | Anonymous

I was detailed twice to GRTE to be part of the security detail when Presidents Reagan and Carter stayed at this place.  I wasn't upset then and I am not upset now when Presidents or Vice Presidents get away for a short time from the pressures of their jobs.  I am sure the IG is correct but it seems to me to be hardly worth the effort.

Winter Forecast Brings Mixed Bag For Park Travelers

Oct 14th - 18:21pm | ecbuck

pretty good at explaining what happened; not so good at explaining what will happen.    Yet 97% of scientist know what the climate will be in 100 yrs.  LOL

Oct 14th - 16:42pm | Lee Dalton

Yeah, Rick, but a whole lot better than they used to be.  However, there still seems to be a lot of hoping in the profession that the rest of us have short memories.

Oct 14th - 15:41pm | Rick B.

While I'd enjoy the mild winter forecast here for North Cascades, where I live, I'm still making preparations for otherwise. In my experience weathermen are like economists - pretty good at explaining what happened; not so good at explaining what will happen.

Oct 14th - 10:17am | Merster

We call it "Inaccuweather," which is self explanatory...

Musings While Drifting Down The Colorado River Through Canyonlands National Park

Oct 13th - 14:33pm | Anonymous

Catarct Canyon is a great river trip.  The rapids, "Satan's Gut" made the list of The Big Drops, Ten Legendary Rapids of the American West by boatman and professor, Rod Nash.  Running it early in the spring is a real challenge.

Oct 13th - 10:34am | Mike Hardinger

Nice article Kurt!  Mike.

Three Mountain Lions Found Dead In Santa Monica Mountains In Recent Weeks

Oct 13th - 11:06am | ecbuck

Owen - manifest destiny and expansion have been with this world since man evolved.  There is hardly a country that exists today that wasn't established through conquest - frequently at the expense of the natives. Even the Native Americans were guilty of that. (I would guess there are many Native Americans that are thinking like Mark Twain at the moment).

Oct 13th - 10:47am | Owen Hoffman

I cannot help but think that EC's comment that "Yes, we are more important...."  is reflective of the attitude that ultimately justified  US manifest destiny and western expansion, which directly contributed to the demise of Native Americans and altered the ecological landscape of the continent.

Oct 13th - 09:14am | Lee Dalton

Thanks, ec, for a perfect illustration of exactly what I mean.

Oct 13th - 08:49am | ecbuck

Lee - The old and very tired strawman that tries to declare that we will all have to return to cave dwelling How ironic, you uses the word "strawman" in your strawman attack.  Noone said anything about cave dwelling.

Oct 13th - 08:39am | justinh

Agreed, Anon.  I'm so tired of seeing stories like this one.

Oct 12th - 23:44pm | Lee Dalton

Excellent reply, Ron. If each of us does a little, many of us will do a lot. The old and very tired strawman that tries to declare that we will all have to return to cave dwelling is one of the most unimaginative of a number of dodges used by those whose sense of entitlement supercedes their sense of responsibility.

Oct 12th - 23:16pm | rmackie

EC, a fair question. I am not sure how much I could sacrifice, but I think we can do much. For starters, we can make a greater effort to re-cycle, quit using plastic bags, bottled water, cut down on our driving where possible, slow down on roads, etc.  Small things but can add much.

Oct 12th - 20:07pm | ecbuck

Ron, are you willing to sacrifice your lifestyle, or even life, for the mountain lion?  How about for the snail darter?  Easy to preach, easier to yell, but much harder to live the sermon.

Oct 12th - 19:54pm | rmackie

Thank you Lisa and Barbara, I am in agreement. As habitat for wildlife  becomes increasingly fractured and human expansion continues to increase with all the associated activities, poisons, high speed roads, etc., it is a real concern. For example here in California over the last 100 years plus, we have reduced our freshwater wetlands by 90%. I do think Dr.

Treasure Your National Park Visits With A Photo Album From Shutterfly

Oct 13th - 10:07am | shozo sato

I have visited Bleuridge music center at last week. I tasted truly Blueridge music. Exciting! Now, I came home in Japan. Thank you for your everything.

Musings From Kalaloch In Olympic National Park

Oct 12th - 20:10pm | Kurt Repanshek

Good to see you back in the mix, y_p_w, it's been too long.

Oct 12th - 19:40pm | y_p_w

Ah - Kalaloch.  Stayed there one night.  The site was spacious but in the forested area.  Most of the sites with views of the Pacific were RV-only.  Saw one heck of a sunset on the beach with a backdrop of driftwood logs.

National Parks Traveler's Essential Park Guide